Home
Well, probably not technically, but the same general idea.

While on a walk in the neighborhood a few nights ago, I noticed a neighbor had a pile of fresh cut trees/branches out for collection. Still all connected together with the twigs and branches, I saw within it what I thought would be a good shape for a shillelagh, i.e., a traditional Irish style walking stick that can nicely double as a bludgeon, mainly for aggressive dogs, but also potentially for two legged critters where a sidearm might not be an appropriate response.

I used my Gerber lightweight lock blade to cut out the basic shape from the mess and brought it home. Finished cutting off what wasn't a shillelagh, neatly cut it to correct length using a dremel tool with a cutting wheel, used a fixed blade knife (USN Model by Camillus) to whittle off the bark except for the head, which I left natural.

Very nice feel to it in the hand. Excellent weight and balance. Swings very naturally for me when gripped about two-thirds down from the head. Next I want to sand it smooth (except for the head, which will be left natural), dark stain it (maybe a dark reddish brown), and some sort of clear final finish over that. What clear final finish would you folks who've worked with wood recommend? Shellac? Wax? Also, should I hold off on finishing it till it's had a chance to completely dry out?
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/03/11
Buff several coats of satin finish tung oil into it with a pad of 0000 steel wool,...let dry 24 hours before coats.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/03/11
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Buff several coats of satin finish tung oil into it with a pad of 0000 steel wool,...let dry 24 hours before coats.

Is the little red dots from rusting specs of steel wool a desired feature? If not, don't use steel wool. grin
Posted By: Gus Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/03/11
it wouldn't hurt a thing in the world to show us a picture.

i've got a blackcherry "stick" drying out, something i cut down from beside a muscadine vine. it's pretty long. i'll cut the least diameter at about an inch. the greatest diameter will be at the point the top end is about 6 inches above my elbow.

thought about cutting it at eye level, but it'd be pretty long.

also have a stick made from a japanese barberry pruning. it's keen, but has cracks in it from drying.
china berry makes a good chingaso stick.
Posted By: Plinker Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/03/11
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 700LH Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/03/11
then thake it and stick it where the sun don't shine TRH
Originally Posted by Plinker
[Linked Image]
Will post one when I get home.
If you really want to have something, drive gutter nails thru it.
Well, that MIGHT take a tire off of a "pickup truck of death", I guess.

I do think he'd be better served duct taping a 2 lb Shaped Charge to the striking end,......a hit just about anywhere should disable the vehicle, and stun the crazed negro operator.

GTC
Or just make the whole thing out of C4 and whack people.

We might get a 2 for 1.
Does Fla. CW cover that ?

I know "The Man", and "International Bankers" won't like it woofachit.

GTC
TAKE OFF THE DAMN UGLY PICTURE .

A picture of your "ugly stick" can't be as bad as that childish thing that clutters up everybody's screen .
I don't see it anymore. Firefox and Adblock.
GTC,

I imagine the bildebergers would seek to confiscate it.

He would be fighting off the men in black for months. Along with illegals and irate negroes.

Like Moses, he will lead us out of government bondage with his stick.

If a pitbull doesn't kill him first...
Posted By: 340boy Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/03/11
The stick would be needed to be 'doped' with some kind of fluoride compound, like uranium hexafluoride, perhaps?

(grin)

Posted By: T LEE Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/03/11
I just carry a cane a friend made me. It is only about 2' long as it fits me. smile smile Measured from the ground to my wrist. smile smile
He got wind that the Masons and Bilderbergers were trying to inject his food with kryptonite.

So he had to find him a stick.
Originally Posted by T LEE
I just carry a cane a friend made me. It is only about 2' long as it fits me. smile smile Measured from the ground to my wrist. smile smile

I've no doubt that a cane in skilled hands could be quite a weapon.
I just got to give TRH a bad time when I get a chance, Terry.
grin
Posted By: Plinker Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/03/11
Some Shillelagh pictures while we're waiting for TRH...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

grin
Works as good as a long nightstick in my hands. Trouble is I will have to drop it to draw my pistol if I am in need of firepower as I use it in my right hand.

I gotta cut Hawk a break, some of his stuff is out there IMHO but he really seems like a nice feller. Holds his temper better than I, that is for sure.
You'll want black stain so it looks like traditional Blackthorn the traditional shillelagh.

The traditional shillelagh is about the size and length of the old English quarter staff. When the English occupied Ireland the English outlawed the shillelagh. The Irish being the innovative people they are just cut and finished the shillelagh to be the size and look of an English walking stick. The English couldn't say much because every Englishmen had a walking stick. The rest as they say is history.
Works as good as a long nightstick in my hands. Trouble is I will have to drop it to draw my pistol if I am in need of firepower as I use it in my right hand.

I gotta cut Hawk a break, some of his stuff is out there IMHO but he really seems like a nice feller. Holds his temper better than I, that is for sure.

I bet you can make a cane sing, Terry.
That's why I am nice to you about your cats, I don't wanna get bonked over the head with one of them sticks.
wink

Also, agree with you on TRH.
I don't care about teasing about my cats, can't abide cruelty to any animal though.

I still think Vick should have been thrown into the dog pit with a couple of pizzed off 8-10' gators!
I'd use Hawk's stick on his azz. smile
Originally Posted by 340boy

I've no doubt that a cane in skilled hands could be quite a weapon.
I just got to give TRH a bad time when I get a chance, Terry.
grin
And why is that?
OK, here it is.

[Linked Image]
Yup, stain it black.
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I'd use Hawk's stick on his azz. smile
laugh You mean you'd try.

Hey, what in hell happenned to you? You used to be an OK fellow.
Posted By: Gus Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/03/11
i like it. grin

kinda like the early beginnings or prototype of a worthy golf club. grin

i reckon most clubs (golf-type) are milled from Ebonaceae (persimmon).

it's easy to believe that the little end of the big head would leave a mark if it landed just right. grin
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Yup, stain it black.
Yeah, I think you may have something there.

PS I knew that about the history of the Shillelagh. Irish couldn't carry weapons, so they lengthened their traditional carry club to a short walking stick length. Brits couldn't deny someone a walking stick.
A little more whittleing and a long drill and you could smoke your stuff in it .grin
Yup, stain it black.

Yessir, that would make it a right proper looking one.
Originally Posted by Gus
i like it. grin

kinda like the early beginnings or prototype of a worthy golf club. grin

i reckon most clubs (golf-type) are milled from Ebonaceae (persimmon).

it's easy to believe that the little end of the big head would leave a mark if it landed just right. grin
Yep, that's what I figure as the striking surface.
more weapons to defend against the sea of imaginary enemies that threaten his evening walks.....if my life was that skeery I'd just get a Wi and do my exercise indoors or something.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/03/11
Is it related to the head woman at the University of Miami?
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
more weapons to defend against the sea of imaginary enemies that threaten his evening walks.....if my life was that skeery I'd just get a Wi and do my exercise indoors or something.
I guess that's the difference between you and me, Steve.
Yup, stain it black.

Yup, what DD says.

That, or cut it in half, connect it with a short length of chain, and you've got half a new set o' numchucks!
....and if TRH ever loses his meat Tenderizing Hammer, that thing will work for smashing his tinfoil hats on tight, too.

GTC
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/03/11
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
OK, here it is.

[Linked Image]

doesn't look like the Shilleligahs on the Droopy Dog cartoons....
A good stick was likely one of man's first tool/weapon. One still makes an excellent aid in walking and doubles as a formidable weapon. Suitable sticks are readily available, cheap, and thankfully, not illegal to possess or carry. I often carry a walking stick.

TRH, I'd like to see it after you get it finished. Gotta agree on the black finish too.
I don't care about teasing about my cats, can't abide cruelty to any animal though.

I still think Vick should have been thrown into the dog pit with a couple of pizzed off 8-10' gators!

shocked
Man, that comment of mine about Vick is gonna live forever!
eek

The more I think about what I said earlier on Vick-the more I am inclined to (now) agree with you and Tom(Ingwe) on that matter.
When you're carrying it just be sure to speak softly.
There is hope for you yet! smile smile smile
Now how about getting a kitten from the shelter........ smile smile
[Linked Image]
Now how about getting a kitten from the shelter........ smile smile

Hey, maybe not quite THAT much hope for me, Terry! laugh
Though I think my Dog, Nibs, would like to have a 4-legged buddy around the house!
I'd take a rasp to the branch stubs first, then sand it.

I'd also let it air dry for a few months prior to any finish application.
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Yup, stain it black.

Yup, what DD says.

That, or cut it in half, connect it with a short length of chain, and you've got half a new set o' numchucks!
What's the obsession you folks have with nunchucks? It's just one among many forms of convenient bludgeons developed by folks looking for a way to defend themselves when prohibited by the state from carrying what the state considered real weapons, which in the old days meant daggers and swords and such. In Ireland, their solution was the shillelagh, where only the British occupiers were permitted to carry edged weapons. In Japan, only Samurai were permitted edged weapons, so the peasants (the vast majority of the population) had to develop techniques for using innocuous looking everyday items as effective tools of self-defense. In the case of the nunchuck (nunchaku), it was a common agricultural tool. The Samurai couldn't complain, after all, if peasants were caught with common ag tools in their possession, so they left them alone. It's been a common theme in many parts of the world throughout the history of human society. Hell, the Brits were in the precess of disarming us when we responded with a hail of lead aimed their way at Lexington and Concord. Had we ultimately lost that particular struggle, we too might have been limited to carrying only shillelaghs to accompany us in our travels.
They have puppies too.
I guess that's the difference between you and I, Steve.

thought you had me on ignore, big guy

yes, that is the difference.....I live in a really no-[bleep] dangerous city but I don't choose to be a freaking drama queen about my daily life.
Originally Posted by curdog4570
A little more whittleing and a long drill and you could smoke your stuff in it .grin
laugh I know. I noticed that too.
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
A good stick was likely one of man's first tool/weapon. One still makes an excellent aid in walking and doubles as a formidable weapon. Suitable sticks are readily available, cheap, and thankfully, not illegal to possess or carry. I often carry a walking stick.

TRH, I'd like to see it after you get it finished. Gotta agree on the black finish too.
Thanks, TN. I agree with your observations, and I will keep you posted.
They have puppies too.

Cats have puppies? Maybe they ain't so bad after all .grin

Next trip to the fishin' camp , I'll get a picture of Ol' Tom so I can move up into the cat lover's clan .

shocked
Man, that comment of mine about Vick is gonna live forever!
eek

The more I think about what I said earlier on Vick-the more I am inclined to (now) agree with you and Tom(Ingwe) on that matter.
Same here. T is correct.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
When you're carrying it just be sure to speak softly.
laugh Nice. Good old Teddy Roosevelt. Have to like the man's personal style if not his politics.
I'd find a piece of brass or steel to put on the hand end of that stick. If you gotta hit something make it count.
Originally Posted by ironbender
I'd take a rasp to the branch stubs first, then sand it.

I'd also let it air dry for a few months prior to any finish application.
Thanks. I was wondering if I should. As for the branch stubs, I sort of thought they gave it character. Still open to the idea, though.
His new shillelegh

[Linked Image]

Watch out for them [bleep]!
Well, it's your meat tenderizer, so do what *you* like.

I'd prefer a smooth handle...but it's not mine.
Well, it's your meat tenderizer, so do what *you* like.

I'd prefer a smooth handle...but it's not mine.
I can see it both ways. Since I'm going to give it a month or two to dry, I have some time to think about it.
Checkering would be an option.

[Linked Image]

'Course, it might take some time and a little trouble to accumulate enough checkers...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/03/11
Yup, stain it black.

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
[Linked Image]
I liked that character in Gangs of New York. As you know, those are notches, each representing a crushed skull. Hated when Daniel Day Lewis' character tossed that hatchet into his back. You'd think doing that to the elected sheriff, right in front of several witnesses, would have landed a fellow in jail even in that corrupt a political environment.
Yup, stain it black.

laugh Good one!
Was never a Stones fan but love that piece of music for some reason.
Sixty some posts about picking a stick out of the neighbors trash.
Get a life!
[Linked Image]

I think that's what they played during the closing titles of The Devil's Advocate, with Al Pacino.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/03/11

Amen to that one.
They have puppies too.

Cats have puppies? Maybe they ain't so bad after all .grin

Next trip to the fishin' camp , I'll get a picture of Ol' Tom so I can move up into the cat lover's clan .

OH, now there is a knee slapper! smile smile smile
I think that's what they played during the closing titles of The Devil's Advocate, with Al Pacino.

Never saw that.

Never saw that.
Good flick. Especially if you were raised Roman Catholic, but probably also if you were raised any stripe of Christian. Not that it's not filled with theological flaws, of course. It is Hollyweird, after all.
Just not much of a movie person, True Grit is the first theater movie I have seed since Avatar and before that was Shreck.
Just not much of a movie person, True Grit is the first theater movie I have seed since Avatar and before that was Shreck.
I intend to see True Grit this week. Hell, maybe I'll go tonight.
Posted By: RAS2 Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/03/11
Last one I saw was Tot Story 3. Wer're ANDY'S TOYS!!! laugh
Posted By: Pugs Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/03/11

ANY AND ALL differences with TRH ought to be celebrated with vigor! grin
Originally Posted by RAS2
Last one I saw was Tot Story 3. Wer're ANDY'S TOYS!!! laugh
Saw the first two. Is the third worth seeing?
Originally Posted by Pugs

I guess that would depend heavily on one's political perspective. If you're for the status quo, I guess that might well be the case. Want a return to limited Constitutional government, then probably not.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
china berry makes a good chingaso stick.

you better explain to the yankees what a chingaso stick is.
Not too bad. The kids loved it and the wife cried as Andy grew up. Good story line as usual.
Posted By: rattler Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/03/11

get to go to the local theater for free since the wife works there regularly and ive been known to put in a few hours every once in awhile......paid the money to see Avatar in 3D at one of the bigger theaters when the wife and i were out of town and am glad i did, was one of the more impressive things ive seen as far as movies go....saw it again when it hit our theater on film and it was a let down after seeing it out of a digital 3D projector....
Happy Birfday Pugs!

I guess that would depend heavily on one's political perspective. If you're for the status quo, I guess that might well be the case. Want a return to limited Constitutional government, then probably not.

Actually, your generally nut factor goes so far beyond your head-in-the-sand politics I'm very happy to be different than you in any and all aspects of my life. If there was ever an example of where the federal government should regulate what teachers teach you'd be it.
Not too bad. The kids loved it and the wife cried as Andy grew up. Good story line as usual.
I'll see if I can catch it on Pay Per View.
Boy got the dvd for Christmas. I've seen everyday for a week. crazy
If there was ever an example of where the federal government should regulate what teachers teach you'd be it.

He should not be allowed in a classroom.
This fool is about a certifiable nutso
on walking sticks.
in arizona we often make them out of the spines of a suharo cactus. Really strong, but light.
I keep thinking about buying one of those canes at the sportsmans warehouse that has a big brass ducks head for the handle.
Might be could for teaching ruffians a lesson about an old man.
If you have a bad leg, i would think it hard for various governmental entities to confiscate it.
Actually, your generally nut factor goes so far beyond your head-in-the-sand politics I'm very happy to be different than you in any and all aspects of my life. If there was ever an example of where the federal government should regulate what teachers teach you'd be it.
Just about how I had you measured up. What in hell does the Federal Government have to do with local education? Should be 100% locally controlled and funded. And who's the one with his head in the sand, the guy who refuses to research how the banks are manipulating government policy through the Federal Reserve (an unconstitutional institution) or the guy who understands same and wants to fix the problem?

Just don't bring up fluorides!
grin

BTW, Happy B-day Allen.
Boy got the dvd for Christmas. I've seen everyday for a week. crazy
laugh I can relate. When I show a video to the class, I have to see it five time.
Yup, stain it black.

Yup, what DD says.

What's the obsession you folks have with nunchucks? It's just one among many forms of convenient bludgeons developed by folks looking for a way to defend themselves when prohibited by the state from carrying what the state considered real weapons, which in the old days meant daggers and swords and such. In Ireland, their solution was the shillelagh, where only the British occupiers were permitted to carry edged weapons. In Japan, only Samurai were permitted edged weapons, so the peasants (the vast majority of the population) had to develop techniques for using innocuous looking everyday items as effective tools of self-defense. In the case of the nunchuck (nunchaku), it was a common agricultural tool. The Samurai couldn't complain, after all, if peasants were caught with common ag tools in their possession, so they left them alone. It's been a common theme in many parts of the world throughout the history of human society. Hell, the Brits were in the precess of disarming us when we responded with a hail of lead aimed their way at Lexington and Concord. Had we ultimately lost that particular struggle, we too might have been limited to carrying only shillelaghs to accompany us in our travels.

Just yankin' yer chain, dude. grin

When I still lived in the city and walked my dogs in off-leash areas, I would carry a walking stick. I had a nice stout oak walking stick with a brass handle that I would carry on such outings. I had to use it twice on other dogs that attacked my dog. It's amazing how quickly an aggressive dog will change his mind and ki-yi back to his master when whacked across the snout with it.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
If you have a bad leg, i would think it hard for various governmental entities to confiscate it.
Yep. That's the point, and who's to say what a bad leg is. wink
Wife took me to see the original "Pirates of the Caribbean" but the next two we bought when they came out on DVD, same Open Range, 3:10 to Yuma and Appaloosa.
Appaloosa is a good watch. Wife got that for me at the advice of her Dad. I really enjoyed it and have watched it several times.

When I still lived in the city and walked my dogs in off-leash areas, I would carry a walking stick. I had a nice stout oak walking stick with a brass handle that I would carry on such outings. I had to use it twice on other dogs that attacked my dog. It's amazing how quickly an aggressive dog will change his mind and ki-yi back to his master when whacked across the snout with it.
And you can tell some dogs have already felt the sting of a walking stick. Just raise it up, and they know to keep their distance.
I even have a laminated prescription to carry my cane, like to cover all bases.

And you can tell some dogs have already felt the sting of a walking stick. Just raise it up, and they know to keep their distance.

Yep. And the owners of said dogs learn not to bother walking their dogs in the off-leash area when they see your car in the parking lot!

Just don't bring up fluorides!
grin

BTW, Happy B-day Allen.
Isn't it odd, though, that no one is allowed to take a view in opposition to the government's party line on this topic? We've all been trained to respond with hoots and hollers if anyone should take the other side. But if you actually consider the issue, it's not really the least bit funny. I could perfectly see taking the establishment side of it, and defending it with whatever facts one can muster, but the humor element is really nothing short of Pavlovian conditioning.
I have also found that most punks back off when I bring my cane to "port arms".
What in hell does the Federal Government have to do with local education? Should be 100% locally controlled and funded. And who's the one with his head in the sand, the guy who refuses to research how the banks are manipulating government policy through the Federal Reserve (an unconstitutional institution) or the guy who understands same and wants to fix the problem?

Always good to watch you come unglued. Thanks for the birthday present grin

The function of the Federal government in education should be to establish standards at various milestones to ensure that students actually learn stuff that makes them relevant in todays environment. I don't think that local school boards should have a role in core subject standards as they have proven time and time again to approve or disapprove teaching evolution and creationism or a myriad of other topics that represents some local interest or position. Sure, a lot do a fine at creating and teaching relevant content but far too many don't and won't and that is a diservice to the kids that are being prepped to go out in life.

You want your kids to learn weird crap? Homeschool them. That's not to say homeschooling itself bad, some of the best and brightest and kids I've met have been home schooled for some very good reasons.
I even have a laminated prescription to carry my cane, like to cover all bases.
Good idea.
We see how well that has worked. At one time the Federal gov't was not in charge of education.
Went down hill since though. I call it training rather than educate.
The function of the Federal government in education should be to establish standards at various milestones to ensure that students actually learn stuff that makes them relevant in today's environment...
That was all I needed to read, Pugs, to have you perfectly pegged. No wonder you find me contemptible, and my views dangerous. It all makes perfect sense now. My views are dangerous to the likes of you.
We see how well that has worked. At one time the Federal gov't was not in charge of education.

Didn't say they're doing a good job, I just said that I think that given the opportunity the trackrecord shows lots of local orgs would do a very poor job. I think the DOE is way too big and does way too much but to say that the Feds don't have a stake in the eduction of the country shows TRH's ignorance of how governments actually function and where they can do good.
+1
Didn't say they're doing a good job, I just said that I think that given the opportunity the trackrecord shows lots of local orgs would do a very poor job. I think the DOE is way too big and does way too much but to say that the Feds don't have a stake in the eduction of the country shows TRH's ignorance of how governments actually function and where they can do good.
laugh You have the unmitigated audacity to make a statement like that and call me ignorant??

That, or cut it in half, connect it with a short length of chain, and you've got half a new set o'nunchucks!

Irish Martial arts weapons, me lad!
laugh You have the unmitigated audacity to make a statement like that and call me ignorant??

Sure do.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/03/11
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
He got wind that the Masons and Bilderbergers were trying to inject his food with kryptonite.

So he had to find him a stick.

I hate it when a gang of Freemasons go on a rampage...no one knows what's gonna happen...cept Freemasons smile
There are actually operating schools of Irish stick fighting in the United States. The Irish developed it to a high level.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/03/11
There are actually operating schools of Irish stick fighting in the United States. The Irish developed it to a high level.

How do it stack up to gun fighting?
Vegas always pegs the spread in favor of guns . Probably a conspiracy .
Posted By: GeoW Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/04/11
I think where TRH lives, FL, it's more legal to carry a Roscoe that tis to carry a stick!
I would strip off the rest of the bark, sand it fairly smooth, and rub it down every few days with cooking oil. That will ensure it's strength and keep it from cracking.

Also works for your ax handles, hoe handles, etc.
I've rubbed baby oil on ho's but not cooking oil.
Nunchucks:

absolutely certifiable.....and not even aware his posts long ago descended into self parody. this one particularly.....you couldn't make this thread up.

drama queen finds stick in trash, writes post about it, obsesses over how to adapt it, so that his daily brushes with death will be less scary, now that he has a stick with which to fend off attacking dogs and crazed negroes. don't think it will help with the almost lightning strikes, though.
thought you had me on ignore, big guy.
It was my hope, young padawan, that a remnant of the light side still dwelt within you, but it appears you've fully given yourself over to the dark side of the force.
This chit is indeed becoming creepy,......this is a very ODD choice of person to put near kids.

That goddam Obama picture still SUCKS big time, too.

I reckon if he shoved that stick up his azz we could re-name him the "Idjitsycle"

GTC
Posted By: Steve Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/04/11
Out of the gates with this thread, he's got a pretty good lead on the 2011 KOY award.
[Linked Image]

vs.

[Linked Image]

vs.

[Linked Image]

No brainer if you ax me.

[Linked Image]

Well Dammit I'm Bored!
Posted By: T LEE Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/04/11
VS:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Steve
Out of the gates with this thread, he's got a pretty good lead on the 2011 KOY award.
I'm counting on your support come December, now.
VS:

[Linked Image]
Sure, I know, but having both gives you more versatility.
Posted By: Longbob Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/04/11
Steve,

You can lead a fool to knowledge, but you can't make him think.
Have you considered changing your handle to KOTY 11 ? Or maybe add it after your screen name like "phd" and such ? Oh, BTW

GET RID OF THE DAMN PICTURE
Originally Posted by Longbob
Steve,

You can lead a fool to knowledge, but you can't make him think.
True indeed, as I've learned by sad experience right here at the Fire.
I had no idea the man had so much support here at the Fire. I mean, this forum is neocon-dominated, and neocons do share leftism with Obama and friends, but I always thought you were a different and competing branch of leftism, thus would appreciate depictions of the man in a negative light. You'll have to excuse conservatives like myself for not sharing your concerns about depicting Obama in a negative (yet accurate) light.
I have always wasnted one of those shilelagh's, and i like canes.
Have used them for years in hiking etc.
Like i said have made them out of many things mostly cactus.
Once among a time in a galaxy a long time ago, i went through some intensive training with a baton, and am aware of how much they can do. A cane is an extension of that.
Also a little story i have posted before. Years ago a WWI vet was accosted by some young toughs on the way home from the bars.
He was crippled up and a little old guy. He beat the living snot out of them with his cane. Sometimes you can't use a gun or don't have access to one. Those sticks have been used for years.
I had a guy come into the office a few months ago with a cane documented from the 1800's. Inside it was a revolutionary war long bayonet. That made me drool. They have been used for a long time.
Reminds me of a song.

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/folk-song-lyrics/Song_of_the_Splintered_Shillelagah.htm
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Sometimes you can't use a gun or don't have access to one. Those sticks have been used for years.
Exactly.

Love hearing stories like that, too.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/04/11
I see a few older gents out on my morning or evening walks that have pretty stout "walking sticks" and I have a hunch they aren't really for balance!
wink
You know damn well it has nothing to do with the fact it is a monstosity of a picture of Obama . Like another poster said ;" It would be offensive if it were Mickey Mouse " .

It is obvious you have never had to share common space with grown men , such as a barracks .Everyone on this forum has as much right as you have to put up a big, garish picture of some sort following every post they make .

The vast majority of posters have spent their lives around grown men , not school kids , so they know what is acceptable behaviour in the "common area" . You obviously just don't get it .

But you are exceedingly dishonest because [even] you are discerning enough to know that disliking your exhibitionism does not equate to liking Obama .But you still chant that same childish litany .

For all I know , you may have dyed your hair green with an orange stripe and wear four ear rings in each ear but that doesn't bother me 'cause I don't have to look at it .[ That's not entirely true ; That is the image of you my mind conjures up when I see one of your posts ]

Keeping the stupid picture up is your way of sticking your tongue out at all the people who have complained about it .Since you won't address the problem ; I will .

IGNORED .
I see a few older gents out on my morning or evening walks that have pretty stout "walking sticks" and I have a hunch they aren't really for balance!
wink
grin Yep.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/04/11
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scott F Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/04/11
Looks like you have a great start there.
Originally Posted by 700LH
[Linked Image]

grin grin laugh laugh
[Linked Image]

Yes, and reminiscent of the Big Fat Black Chick standing on the telephone hootch in NOLA posted today.......

UTTERLY shameless, Ugly, and completely locoed.

GTC
My walking sticks look like number four and number six.
The function of the Federal government in education should be to establish standards at various milestones to ensure that students actually learn stuff that makes them relevant in today's environment...
That was all I needed to read, Pugs, to have you perfectly pegged. No wonder you find me contemptible, and my views dangerous. It all makes perfect sense now. My views are dangerous to the likes of you.

I just wonder how many DVDs you show those kids while you're sanding your stick and dicking around on the internet all day on the taxpayers' nickel.

Why in hell would anybody want their kid's education mandated by a bunch of dickweasels who can't balance a budget or manage a country that was handed to them on a silver platter and practically paved with gold? Basic subjects can be taught with no mention of either evolution or creationism, thus satisfying the demands of separation but not the demands of radical Darwinists, communists, socialists and their ilk. The more the Federal government has intervened in education the worse it has gotten. Federal control of curriculum is the polar opposite of the conservative Republican goal of LOCAL CONTROL. Are you a registered Democrat?

Originally Posted by ColeYounger

Why in hell would anybody want their kid's education mandated by a bunch of dickweasels who can't balance a budget or manage a country that was handed to them on a silver platter and practically paved with gold? Basic subjects can be taught with no mention of either evolution or creationism, thus satisfying the demands of separation but not the demands of radical Darwinists, communists, socialists and their ilk. The more the Federal government has intervened in education the worse it has gotten. Federal control of curriculum is the polar opposite of the conservative Republican goal of LOCAL CONTROL. Are you a registered Democrat?

Pugs is a memeber in good standing of the political class. Rememeber, Pugs is a retired warrior who fought for the State. Pugs collects a pension from the State. It is to be expected he would fully support the State. It's not hard to understand at all.
Posted By: johnw Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/04/11
Shillelagh? What shillelagh???

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]
We always called 'em "Cudgels" around these parts.
Posted By: lhonda Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/04/11
Yup, stain it black.

Weird something degrees of separation. When I'm twisted enough, at about every live show I attend, invariably, at some point I scream at the top of my lungs: PAINT IT BLACK YOU DEVIL! PAINT IT BLACK! Then I giggle when people look at me like I've just sustained a blunt trauma head injury resulting in a subdural hematoma.

I bet you even get the reference, B.
Posted By: lhonda Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/04/11

You want your kids to learn weird crap? Homeschool them. That's not to say homeschooling itself bad, some of the best and brightest and kids I've met have been home schooled for some very good reasons.

A philosophy professor I had once proudly announced to the class that his two children, then aged 9 and 12, were still actively breastfeeding and that when in the confines of their home, went naked as a family 100% of the time. These were healthy, natural things for families to do, he assured all during his lecture. He cited some aboriginal tribal bush to support his contentions. It was all I could do to not raise my hand, and when called on, casually waltz up to the podium to crack him in the damned grill for abusing his kids.

Yeah, I said abusing. Man, people are farking bananas. Carry on.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/04/11
Well I for one think it will be a fine looking stick, and that's all I have to say.
Originally Posted by lhonda

A philosophy professor I had once proudly announced to the class that his two children, then aged 9 and 12, were still actively breastfeeding and that when in the confines of their home, went naked as a family 100% of the time. These were healthy, natural things for families to do, he assured all during his lecture. He cited some aboriginal tribal bush to support his contentions. It was all I could do to not raise my hand, and when called on, casually waltz up to the podium to crack him in the damned grill for abusing his kids.

Some of the weirdest [bleep] I've ever had the displeasure of knowing were college profs who openly displayed their mental illnesses to colleagues and underlings of all stripes, boldly assuring them that they were sane and the world was not.

As to Homeschooling, some of the most conscientious, caring parents I've ever seen homeschooled right alongside meth heads that couldn't crawl out of bed early enough to make sure their kids got to school. They were "homeschooling". I don't want the communistic, insane, assbuggerers in the government telling me how to raise my kids, OTOH there are a lot of jackasses with no sense who neglect and abuse their children routinely. If there is one thing I can impart it is that the worst thing you can do is penalize the innocent in order to restrain the guilty or potentially so. We need no preaching of either religion or scientific theory in our classroooms, we need honest teaching of core subjects while at the same time modeling of the core values that made this nation great.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
...that's all I have to say.
You sure?
I can only hope that my respect for Pugs' military service is evident in the way I post here. If not, it is a failing of mine. At the same time, he doesn't know it all and I am helping him correct a portion of that lack in a small way.

It isn't expected by me that he would fully support the state as it (the state) is dual minded with a good half of it hating the military and all it stands for, with the exception of its use to intimidate and repress people exactly like I imagine Pugs and most on here to be. That portion of the state would love to save money by cutting Pugs' benefits.

I just wonder how many DVDs you show those kids while you're sanding your stick and dicking around on the internet all day on the taxpayers' nickel.

HEY.....!!!! mad

...how else are ya gonna find the really good DVD's unless on the 'net ?

...anyhoo... the district monitors everything I do.... grin

A philosophy professor I had once proudly announced to the class that his two children, then aged 9 and 12, were still actively breastfeeding and that when in the confines of their home, went naked as a family 100% of the time. These were healthy, natural things for families to do, he assured all during his lecture. He cited some aboriginal tribal bush to support his contentions.

yeah, them perfessers always think indigenous peoples are way better than, you know....civilized races. might be fun to axe him how many university perfessers them bushmen employ.
16 pages on some knucklehead with a club. Damn. Must be a slow week at the 'fire.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
[Linked Image]

FLUFFY!
My long lost puppy!
No one messes with anyone , walking Fluffy!
A cane and pitbull.......ah-ha!!

We've solved the mystery of the negro in the green pickup. It was the beginning of a turf war. All you need now is a wide brimmed hat with a feather in it (and a Ho or two) and you can change your name to The_Real_Pimp!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pugs Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/04/11
Pugs is a memeber in good standing of the political class. Rememeber, Pugs is a retired warrior who fought for the State. Pugs collects a pension from the State. It is to be expected he would fully support the State. It's not hard to understand at all.

Hilarious as usual DD. I won't see a pension from my Reserve retirement for another 15 years and it will be the same retirement process you get. You after all retired from the Guard as a combat drummer didn't you having seen action in New Hampshire? (Ok, cheap shot, I respect everyone's service regardless of what duty they got assigned)

What I've done in the subsequent dozen years is beyond your capability to understand.
FLUFFY!
My long lost puppy!
No one messes with anyone , walking Fluffy!

Well... Fluffy IS in that pic, in a certain sense.......
Posted By: Pugs Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/04/11
Have you considered changing your handle to KOTY 11 ? Or maybe add it after your screen name like "phd" and such ? Oh, BTW

Hated to do it, because there are some good ones but I went to my preferences and checked "don't show signature lines" That got rid of the head kooks signature that takes up half the page.
Well, probably not technically, but the same general idea.

While on a walk in the neighborhood a few nights ago, I noticed a neighbor had a pile of fresh cut trees/branches out for collection. Still all connected together with the twigs and branches, I saw within it what I thought would be a good shape for a shillelagh, i.e., a traditional Irish style walking stick that can nicely double as a bludgeon, mainly for aggressive dogs, but also potentially for two legged critters where a sidearm might not be an appropriate response.

I used my Gerber lightweight lock blade to cut out the basic shape from the mess and brought it home. Finished cutting off what wasn't a shillelagh, neatly cut it to correct length using a dremel tool with a cutting wheel, used a fixed blade knife (USN Model by Camillus) to whittle off the bark except for the head, which I left natural.

Dude...even though my middle class type neighborhood has degraded into a low middle class type area...(ethnically diverse) I still don't feel the need to carry a club to fend off ANYTHING when I go out for a walk around the neighborhood.
You're either living in a world class chit hole or you're in need of some anti psychotic drugs...prayers sent to your neighbors.
Posted By: btb375 Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/04/11
I think it will make a fine walking stick, however you finish it.

Public, read govt run, education is not education-- it is indoctrination.
Originally Posted by Scott F
Looks like you have a great start there.
Thanks.
Posted By: FlaRick Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/04/11
Don't let the ankle-biters get you down, Hawkeye. Your shillelagh project is pretty cool and I appreciate the updates you have shared. Looking forward to seeing the pics when it is finished.
Originally Posted by FlaRick
Don't let the ankle-biters get you down, Hawkeye. Your shillelagh project is pretty cool and I appreciate the updates you have shared. Looking forward to seeing the pics when it is finished.
Thanks Rick.

Weird something degrees of separation. When I'm twisted enough, at about every live show I attend, invariably, at some point I scream at the top of my lungs: PAINT IT BLACK YOU DEVIL! PAINT IT BLACK! Then I giggle when people look at me like I've just sustained a blunt trauma head injury resulting in a subdural hematoma.

I bet you even get the reference, B.

From "Get Your Ya Ya's Out", IIRC.

Shouted by a girl in the audience just before they broke into "19th Nervous Breakdown". But I could be wrong about that particular song, haven't heard the album in years and when I did I wasn't usually in long term memory retention mode.
[Linked Image]

This thread NEEDS to STAY near the TOP of the 1st page for several weeks,.....please, everybody continue to PAY ATTENTION .

I just hope he doesn't put somebody's eye out.

GTC
Posted By: FlaRick Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/04/11
Hey Cross, that's mean! You should try being nice to someone besides your Mom! grin
Posted By: isaac Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/04/11
What is that aside that woman's chin?

Greg....send link,please. I like your study materials!
ATTENTION is the issue here,.....not whether I'm "mean".

grin

Segue to the near future.......

.....911 call from a distraught Fla. Housewife:

Yes, that's EXACTLY what I just said,.....he's dashing from behind parked car to behind a tree,.... wait,....now he's over behind my garbage can,...peeking out. It's just CREEPY, now will you please get a ....

YES, goddamit !....he's still got that nasty looking club...

....etc

GTC

Anyone this afeard of the outside world, otta go for walks on a treadmill.

Breast feeding as long as possible tends to produce really smart kids and what's wrong with nudity?

I also don't believe you whopped him in the kisser as that's assualt and battery, a felony. Maybe I misread what you posted on that.
I can only hope that my respect for Pugs' military service is evident in the way I post here. If not, it is a failing of mine. At the same time, he doesn't know it all and I am helping him correct a portion of that lack in a small way.

It isn't expected by me that he would fully support the state as it (the state) is dual minded with a good half of it hating the military and all it stands for, with the exception of its use to intimidate and repress people exactly like I imagine Pugs and most on here to be. That portion of the state would love to save money by cutting Pugs' benefits.

I have no disrespect for Pugs military service to the State nor did I mean to disrespect Pugs. Pugs is a warrior, that's his profession.

I do not support the present State nor it's government. I realize that Pugs is a member of the political class that does support the present State and it's government. That's all I meant to imply.

Breast feeding as long as possible tends to produce really smart kids and what's wrong with nudity?

I also don't believe you whopped him in the kisser as that's assualt and battery, a felony. Maybe I misread what you posted on that.

Derby Dude coming on strong for KOTY 2011.....Dude, so were you still nursing when you were twelve? that might explain a lot.

the nudity....I don't even want to go there

and Lhonda didn't say he whopped him in the kisser, he said "It was all I could do to not raise my hand..."...so yes, you did completely misread

reading comprehension still approaching zero, crazy factor in overdrive......TRH will have to really work to repeat as champ
Originally Posted by isaac
What is that aside that woman's chin?

Greg....send link,please. I like your study materials!
It's her Shillelagh.
Is NOT

....MINE !

GTC
I was definitely bottle fed.

But I have tried to compensate for that* ever since I was about 16.

(*in a simulated manner, I should probably clarify that point)
If whiskey bottles count, I'm not sure I'm completely through bottle feeding yet
Lots of racist here.
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Lots of racist here.
Whodat?
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Lots of racist here.

i race mopars. what you racist
Posted By: 700LH Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/05/11
Now we're racin? Cool!

Pickups?
MOPARS.............................best

IN THE WORLD!!!!!!
Do they make a MOPAR pickup?
sure do grin

Originally Posted by stxhunter
sure do grin

Man,....THAT is so TIMELY !!!!

I got a call this AM about an early Dodge Cummins 5.9 driveline, reputed to have but 58K mi. on it.....Engine,4 speed overdrive Auto tranny, and both difs,......WITH driveshafts.

Those things are such "Dogs"

I need MORE dogs.....

GTC
that truck is running 10.20 and better now at 138mph. twin turbo.He broke every part of the drive train before he got the set up right.
Yup,....that "Outrageous INSTANT Torque" thing can turn an inadequate drivetrain to rubble , and right pronto, too.

Had a bud up in Canada that raced his Highway Tractor on the weekends,...propane over Diesel,......it was nuts,...the thing pulled ginormous wheelies,....and such.

Gotta' LOVE that black smoke, eh ?

GTC
Come to think of it, TRP might like the "Lucky Charms" look a little better.....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/05/11

Early lead for first place.
yeah, I saved it for consideration next december....but that one is so weird and creepy I think most will remember it.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Made Myself a "Shillelagh" - 01/05/11
Damn near as creepy as the masturbation thread a couple years back.

Ftw??????

Ftw??????

I came across some stuff that showed that long term breast feeding is good for the mother and kids who had breast feed for a long time had higher IQs.

As to the nudity, kids that grow up with nudest parents tend to be pretty balance with nudity and sex. Not much mystery if everybody is nude. I also find that being nude helps with skin conditions. Personally, I have no problem with nudity for those who want to practice it. I agree it's not for everyone.
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Come to think of it, TRP might like the "Lucky Charms" look a little better.....
[Linked Image]

I dunno,.....can he outrun deranged negro operated motor vehicles in that attire ?

I'd lean more towards a Spandex "Super Hero" outfit,.....with little low drag ruffles.

GTC
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by Nebraska
[Linked Image]

I dunno,.....can he outrun deranged negro operated motor vehicles in that attire ?

I'd lean more towards a Spandex "Super Hero" outfit,.....with little low drag ruffles.

GTC

Suppose the boy friend likes this one better.
Tim, "long-term" in these cases, probably meant up until like a year-and-a-half, or some such, definitely not twelve years old or whatever Ilhonda mentioned. As far as nudity goes, I don't want my kids so worried about somebody seeing them that they won't shower in the locker room or something like that, but they are taught that some body parts are private and not meant for public display. That's a societal norm even if like yourself, you don't believe in the Christian God or at least His tenets. We do.

I personally don't have a problem if Mom and Dad want to romp around in the buff at some nudist camp, as they are adults and free, white and twenty-one. I do think that those nudists that claim, as you are saying, that it is a family affair and it makes their kids better-adjusted, are [bleep] up in the head. I don't give a chit what some Psychologist who studied it says about it or what the stats are.
Another thing about breast feeding. I don't know if you have kids or not or if you do, when they were born. You're a little older than me. We had our kids late, and as such possibly were in a different era of prenatal/post-natal care. There are all sorts of stats out there to support breast feeding in all its facets. The people who are true believers are nothing short of nazis in the way they push people into it. Our first baby was dammed near malnourished in her first days of life due to the way the nurses insisted she be fed. We didn't know any better and had been highly propagandized. I could go on, but to bottom-line it, I think breast feeding is great as long as all the stars line up. If they don't, bottle-feeding is fine and isn't going to make your kid retarded or something.

I am not bragging, but I was bottle-fed and am smart enough. Both our kids were bottle-fed and they are sharp as tacks. They are both very near gifted levels intellectually, if they are not gifted.

Point-being, what you read may or may not be true but most people ain't gonna let the kid pull on the teat until they are a teenager, and rightly so, whether there are less Einstein's out there or not.
Tim, "long-term" in these cases, probably meant up until like a year-and-a-half, or some such,...

Yup. The kids need to be off the tit before kindergarten.
© 24hourcampfire