Home
Posted By: lhonda A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11
My buddy won a contract with a branch of the US military relating to modding their standard 12 ga. Specifically they have had major problems with cycling and feeding non-lethal loads. He's OK, but it sure could have been a right bad day...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FlaRick Re: A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11
Man, that gave me the shivers! How did it happen?
Posted By: JBGQUICK Re: A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11
What a classic fishmouth.
Posted By: T LEE Re: A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11
SHUDDER!
Originally Posted by lhonda
My buddy won a contract with a branch of the US military relating to modding their standard 12 ga. Specifically they have had major problems with cycling and feeding non-lethal loads. He's OK, but it sure could have been a right bad day...

[Linked Image]
One must wonder why a branch of the military is suddenly so needful of non-lethal loads. Egypt comes to mind. The Mexican border comes to mind. One hopes that said military will indeed be pointed south.
If they are pointed south I hope it is with standard munitions, NOT that "less than lethal" CRAP!
Posted By: ltppowell Re: A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11
1) That's a barrel obstruction.
2) Benelli's ain't designed to shoot light loads.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11
lhonda;
Thank you for sharing the photo with us. It does give one pause for reflection.

There used to be a gun shop in Spokane called The Gunatorium - on Argonne as I recall. Anyway they had a whole row of blown shotgun barrels, perhaps more than 2 dozen as I remember them?

A few of them looked like your friend's barrel with only a small split/bulge and then a few had really "blown up something wonderful" as the Mennonites would say. wink

Thanks again and all the best to you and yours lhonda.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: lhonda Re: A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11
Task was to mod the guns so as to reliably feed NL loads (bags, rubber, gas) and be still able to function while mixing/matching standard live/lethal loads. This one had a beanbag ahead of 00 buck. Buddy saw the NL load exit, but didn't realize the wad/sheath had stayed behind. Touched off the buck, and voila. Could've very possibly had ended up in a 'look Ma, no hand!' moment.
Posted By: lhonda Re: A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Pat wins the double Bingo prize. wink

Perzactly correct, Lt. Good call.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11
Glad your friend is ok.
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11
I called bean bag as soon as I saw it. Never quite understood the rationale for nonlethal loads in shotguns....if it's worth getting out the riot gun, it's worth stuffing it with something hard.

otherwise, just tase the dude and be done with it.
AMEN Brother Steve!
They work pretty good when you have somebody holding themselves hostage with a knife in the middle of the highway...which is not nearly as uncommon as most would think.
Posted By: shreck Re: A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
I called bean bag as soon as I saw it. Never quite understood the rationale for nonlethal loads in shotguns....if it's worth getting out the riot gun, it's worth stuffing it with something hard.

Agreed, what's with the non lethal 12 ga. load, just use 9 shot. Of course up close it's deadly but I bet those bean bag loads are pretty dangerous at the muzzle.
Beanbags are cool. Shootee's think they're dead for a few moments, then they're good as new.
They work pretty good when you have somebody holding themselves hostage with a knife in the middle of the highway...which is not nearly as uncommon as most would think.

TAZER Pat Tazer.
Originally Posted by lhonda

Pat wins the double Bingo prize. wink

Perzactly correct, Lt. Good call.

Thanks! Good to know something for a change!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11
Marked on the calendar
Man, we beanbag those suckers at 20 yards! You know that if they got a weapon within taser range they gotta die.
What color crayon did you use?
Posted By: Mac84 Re: A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11
I've seen the wood dowels and a rubber type round that would snap a 2x4. Wouldn't want to get hit with either.
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11
then they're good as new.

that's the problem....you'll just be dealing with them again, maybe after somebody's dead.

Pat is such a softie. wink

You KNOW what I'd like to do.
Posted By: rost495 Re: A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11
LEO I can see NL rounds.

Military. ALl I can say is that if it calls for military, then kill the SOBs and don't even wound em. On the border would be a good start.
It's just the modern technology. And all the pluses that go with it.

Don't worry. The Chinese will bring the real quality stuff to the table...

Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11

Wonder if a well aimed shot with a bean bag would preclude reproduction by said self-hostage takers whistle
Posted By: BMT Re: A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

Pat Nailed it--Range to target. No reason to get stuck with a knife trying to use a taser. Bean 'em at 25 yards.

BMT
Posted By: PAMac Re: A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11
I like the Active Denial Microwave thingy for non-lethal crowd control.

Cause if they get to close to a shotgun they can stick their finger in the end of the barrel and wah lah you get the ol Elmer Fudd as seen above.

IMO
If they get close enough that a shotgun needs to be used they need to be shot.... frown

Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Wonder if a well aimed shot with a bean bag would preclude reproduction by said self-hostage takers whistle

In a case locally, a Psych-Episode dued with a knife took 12 bean bags and never really slowed down. He proceeded from 55 yards to 5 yards wihout losing balance.

Mr. Back-up officer shot the VCA at 5 yards with an AR--the two officers with bean bags flat ran out of ammo. Mr. Backup defended his fellow officers with 4 rounds to the chest--WITH NO EFFECT.

Fifth shot went into the hip girdle, broke the dude down, and he proceeded to die on his own schedule.

Flippin' bean bags shoulda killed him. But VCAs rarely cooperate.

BMT
As we see the military morph into traditonal LEO roles in Afghanistan & Iraq, they will need those type tools as well.

Pat's comment about Benelli's struck a chord with me, my old agency dumped Benelli's to go BACK to 870's purely for the ability to function with all types of ammo under all types of conditions.

ihonda, your friend is one lucky dude! I bet he's nervous for a while!
Glad he wasn't hurt.
Ed
BMT, how about the 72 year old man in CA about ten years ago who took a dozen bean-bag rounds before he got tired of being "stung" as he put it? laugh

He darned near died from the severe bruising, but still lived to stand trial. No drugs, just one tough, old hombre.

Ed
Yep, we just bought 40 new 870's, just can't beat em.
I like 870's, especially for police work. Too many people don't understand that it take a 1 1/8oz to reliably function a Benelli.
Yup, I'm mid-process of building another one. 14" Vang Comp barrel, Scattergun Technologies Rifle sights, Surefire forend, buttstock cut to 12" LOP, Decellerator pad, Sidesaddle on the left side of the receiver and another screwed to the right side of the buttstock, Ching Sling, and XL safety button.

Ed
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
BMT, how about the 72 year old man in CA about ten years ago who took a dozen bean-bag rounds before he got tired of being "stung" as he put it? laugh

He darned near died from the severe bruising, but still lived to stand trial. No drugs, just one tough, old hombre.

Ed

Yeah, some guys just don't get the concept . . . . grin
I like non lethal loads for wandering moose that won't get outa the yard.

glad I'm not in LE, if I point a shotgun at a human I reckon I'm spectin to shoot him barring him turning into a quivering mass of jello on the ground PDQ
Posted By: Calhoun Re: A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11
Probably prepping the military for citizen control in 2012..

grin
Posted By: batch Re: A serious ruh-roh moment - 02/03/11
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Yup, I'm mid-process of building another one. 14" Vang Comp barrel, Scattergun Technologies Rifle sights, Surefire forend, buttstock cut to 12" LOP, Decellerator pad, Sidesaddle on the left side of the receiver and another screwed to the right side of the buttstock, Ching Sling, and XL safety button.

Ed

That sounds great. I'll bet that cut off piece could help me. :>)
© 24hourcampfire