Home
I have been home since Tuesday last week sicker than a dog. I got a shot that helped some, but I am a long ways from being better. I have never spent so much time on the Campfire as I have this past week and yes there is something worse than pneumonia, a thread that won't quit with 2 guys calling each other names and no end to the debate.

No wonder I am not getting any better...
Need someone to drive that GTO around, keep it limbered up while you're lazy azzing around?
Well if it helps, had this been 1912 instead of 2012 we would have heard from the neighbors down the road that ol'Shrap didn't pull through the winter...

On the brightside, three months from now you'll be be shooting fuzzy critters with a warm sun on your back. smile

Get well!
Is there anything worse?

Yes, having pneumonia in a world without aviators. I'd eat my gun.

Travis
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I got a shot that helped some........ and yes there is something worse than pneumonia, a thread that won't quit with 2 guys calling each other names and no end to the debate.

Perhaps if a couple/few more guys took a shot of some kind? ...........whistle
Sorry to hear you're under the weather!

Pneumonia does suck!

Yes, there ARE things worse than pneumonia, as seen in those threads that you mentioned. The reputations garnered there will carry with folks for a long time.

I had to stop reading them yesterday morning as it was just about as non-productive as anything I have ever seen.

And now, for something totally different....are you able to do any loading or plotting your next adventure, or are you stuck in that neverland between dead and "what truck ran over me?" laugh

Ed
Originally Posted by Lonny
Well if it helps, had this been 1912 instead of 2012 we would have heard from the neighbors down the road that ol'Shrap didn't pull through the winter...

On the brightside, three months from now you'll be be shooting fuzzy critters with a warm sun on your back. smile

Get well!

shrapnel is tougher than pneumonia. Regardless of the century.

Travis
Originally Posted by Lonny

No chit.. I love going through old graveyards, and back east in the real old ones, it's not hard to notice that winter sure killed a lot of old people.
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Bet he's pissed that he still can't go down to the corner store for a bottle of Laudunum.. grin
Bad thing about pneumonia is the scarring of the lungs. It reduces lung capacity as I understand it. I have a relative that is really plagued by the loss of lung function that I believe is from pneumonia contracted on a few occasions.
I have been home since Tuesday last week sicker than a dog. I got a shot that helped some, but I am a long ways from being better. I have never spent so much time on the Campfire as I have this past week and yes there is something worse than pneumonia, a thread that won't quit with 2 guys calling each other names and no end to the debate.

Yes a Pulmonary embolism

I am sorry to hear of it. It is a bad thing. I can remember having it about fifteen years ago and running temps of around 106 degrees. You could take fever reducer and maybe get it down around 102. The only thing I've had that was worse and just hung on was Gall stones. About a year or two later I was in Walmart getting a Flu shot. They were giving Pneumonia shots too. I said, "give me one of those too". The nurse said they were for old folks. I said "hit me".

I hate to be negative but...expect to get over it soon but to take years to completely recover, if you ever do. It scars the lungs. Very, very bad stuff.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Travis

Bet he's pissed that he still can't go down to the corner store for a bottle of Laudunum.. grin

Hell, he probably has a stash of that too! He seems to have one of everything else.

Are you bringing the GTO to the Icebreaker?

Travis
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
[quote=shrapnel] About a year or two later I was in Walmart getting a Flu shot. They were giving Pneumonia shots too. I said, "give me one of those too". The nurse said they were for old folks. I said "hit me".

I have had one of each this year, pneumonia shot has worked so far, the flu shot has not frown

Was supposed to be on a plane to the UK Monday night, I feel like death on a shingle and the thoughts of even moving off the couch just makes me want to hurl and pass out. JOY ! NOT ! frown crazy

Travis

Timed auto-cross combined with road hunting target course..

Sammo is in the right seat with his rez .270 and I'm smoking everyone's azz!
And Shrap said it's okay to throw the empties in the rear seat!

[Linked Image]

Travis

Timed auto-cross combined with road hunting target course..

Sammo is in the right seat with his rez .270 and I'm smoking everyone's azz!

Will points be deducted for beer spillage on this course of fire?

WTF is a .270?

Travis
some pawn shop round.. good for shooting stray dogs and jack lighted deer..
And Shrap said it's okay to throw the empties in the rear seat!

[Linked Image]

Sweet! It'll give the chicks in the back something to tidy up.

Thanks Uncle Shrap!

Travis

WTF is a .270?

Travis

"30-06 Improved" for you Montana boys.
grin
With all this time on your hands, you could get Rick to give you a moderator job for a week or two..... with the power to punt. Now that would be funny.
some pawn shop round.. good for shooting stray dogs and jack lighted deer..

Sounds a little ghetto but I'll look into it.

Travis
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
[quote=shrapnel] About a year or two later I was in Walmart getting a Flu shot. They were giving Pneumonia shots too. I said, "give me one of those too". The nurse said they were for old folks. I said "hit me".

I have had one of each this year, pneumonia shot has worked so far, the flu shot has not frown

Was supposed to be on a plane to the UK Monday night, I feel like death on a shingle and the thoughts of even moving off the couch just makes me want to hurl and pass out. JOY ! NOT ! frown crazy
You're probably aware that the Pneumonia vaccine only works on one of the two types of Pneumonia, the Bacterial type. Viral Pneumonia has no vaccine.
I hope you start feeling better soon. Remember - Toes forward are way better than toes upward! laugh
[bleep] this chit! while some people get to lay around, I gotta go finish moving.
[bleep] this chit! while some people get to lay around, I gotta go finish moving.

Use the GTO for the little boxes. Bet it speeds things up.

Travis
sure is!
Ask anyone with lung cancer!

my son has been home from college with viral pneumonia for almost two weeks......think he's probably going to have to drop the semester. yesterday was the first day he was really up and around since he came home. bad chit.
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
sure is!
Ask anyone with lung cancer!

or "COPD!"
Way I understand it, there is three different types of Pneumonia, and it's progressive. Each time you get it, it get's easier to get, and it get's worse.

I've been lucky to have never had it, but my Wife a Michigan has had it three times... each time it has been worse and has laid her up for a longer period of time...

I had whooping cough last year and thought that was bad, but as others have said there is always something worse!

Phil
Is There Anything Worse Than Pneumonia?

I think so...

I have heard that Ingwe recently sneezed and his balls fell off, or something like that. wink

John
Yes, some illnesses are worse - even much worse in some cases - but it may not feel that way when you are down with pneumonia. Certainly sympathize with you, having been there a few times now - primarily because the first bout with bacterial type many years ago (that I did know I had until way late) did quite a bit of damage and left me more susceptible to recurrence. Also complicted by some asthma troubles.

One thing I do know - stay down - rest seems to be a big factor in recovery.

Are you dealing with bacterial or viral? I ask because, fortunate for me with bacterial, a course of Zithromycin still seems to knock it out fairly soon - especially when combined with a course of prednisone. Also doing 3 or 4 times a day on the nebulizer with a bronchodilator helps keep the mucous moving - coughing - this helps.

In more recent years, have been using a breatheable corticosteroid every day to supress the inflammation in lungs - seems to help with avoidance.

Am wishing you the best and a speedy recovery.
I have COPD, Chronic Bronchitus.It is always only 1 step away from pneumonia. If I get any cold or ?, it turns into a bronchial infection. That is two months recovery with most of the symtoms of pneumonia, Nasty stuff and I feel for you and hope for your speedy recovery.

Even if the vaccine is not for all types,protection against some is beter than none at all.
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Way I understand it, there is three different types of Pneumonia, and it's progressive. Each time you get it, it get's easier to get, and it get's worse.

I've been lucky to have never had it, but my Wife a Michigan has had it three times... each time it has been worse and has laid her up for a longer period of time...

I had whooping cough last year and thought that was bad, but as others have said there is always something worse!

Phil
You may be right. There may be even more types, but I thought there were only two basic types, bacterial and viral. If you're really interested, I'd PM DocRocket. I'm not a medical professional. My sense of it is though, that the reason it seemingly is worse every time is that you are losing lung function unless there is a LONG period of time to heal up. You're also getting older all the time and losing lung function just from age, as well as losing immunity to everything, the older you get-just more infirm. Thus a bout of pneumonia this year is going to be worse than one ten years previously if you're an adult, just on the basis of age alone. Get it only a couple of years after you had it last and your lungs are still pretty effed up from the last time, and...
Pneumonia is bad but death is probably worse. Or maybe relief?
I can empathize with Shrapnel; the two times I had pneumonia it seems like the slowest recovery imaginable. Each day felt much like the one before. Only if I thought back about how I felt several days earlier could I tell things were getting better.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
Pneumonia is bad but death is probably worse. Or maybe relief?
I didn't think I was gonna die for sure, but I was wondering.
Hate to hear that Shrap, but don't try gall stones accompanied with Pancreatitis as a comparison!
... yes there is something worse than pneumonia, a thread that won't quit with 2 guys calling each other names and no end to the debate.

That doesn't narrow it down very much!
It sucks. In 2007 I had it from October until April of 2008. I then got a staph infection from it that damn near killed me. Pneumonia is no joke...take care of yourself.
Just got back from the doctor's office. It wasn't for the pneumonia though, it was for a check up on a hernia repair I had done 3 years ago. It isn't bad enough to sit here feeling like crap, but coughing up all that junk must have blown out the canvas they put in me for the hernia.

At least Ric (Cocadori on the Campfire) came by and picked up my Zeiss spotter. We had a good talk about hunting and shooting, seems like we are the only 2 that know anything about it.

One more comment from deflave about my sunglasses and there will be another thread about who is worse, even though everyone here knows Travis is a toadhunter...

At least Ric (Cocadori on the Campfire) came by and picked up my Zeiss spotter. We had a good talk about hunting and shooting, seems like we are the only 2 that know anything about it.

you rotten old...

Know anything about moving boxes and throwing chit away?

Now that I remember, no you don't. I've seen pictures of your garage.
Just got back from the doctor's office. It wasn't for the pneumonia though, it was for a check up on a hernia repair I had done 3 years ago. It isn't bad enough to sit here feeling like crap, but coughing up all that junk must have blown out the canvas they put in me for the hernia.

Mucinex will help.
You're probably aware that the Pneumonia vaccine only works on one of the two types of Pneumonia, the Bacterial type. Viral Pneumonia has no vaccine.

I pray that neither kind would hit me, the chemo meds have made me a disaster waiting to happen for any type of virus or bacteria shocked frown

you rotten old...

Know anything about moving boxes and throwing chit away?

Now that I remember, no you don't. I've seen pictures of your garage.

Rancho, I haven't got anything else to do, come and pick me up and I will help, anything is better than a week of movies on the TV...
When did you stop watching Oprah and Dr. phil?
I've had pneumonia! Sucked. Don't expect to be running at 100% anytime soon.

After you told me they were resposnible for you getting that sex change operation...
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

my son has been home from college with viral pneumonia for almost two weeks......think he's probably going to have to drop the semester. yesterday was the first day he was really up and around since he came home. bad chit.

I wonder if this is what I've had. I'm just getting over it, but I didn't go see a doc for it. Started as a dry cough, then became a full blown set of cold/flu symptoms and eventually started what I thought was bronchitis or a respiratory infection (i.e., fluid in the lungs). It has been a tenacious bug that took my immune system a long time to get ahead of.
Pneumonia definitely sucks. Take your meds, keep up the fluid intake, and keep moving, but rest when you need it. Laying around lets the crap lay in your lungs, while activity mobilizes it and lets it get coughed out or absorbed. I've had it a few times on top of my asthma. No fun.

After you told me they were resposnible for you getting that sex change operation...

You have me mistaken for that deflave sicko.. grin

This might be worse: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/236184.php
Heal quickly.
Getting it twice in the same year.

One more comment from deflave about my sunglasses and there will be another thread about who is worse, even though everyone here knows Travis is a toadhunter...

Ok, ok, no more aviator comments. Man, you get grumpy when you're sick.

I'll be down there on the 17th. Maybe I can buy you a green beer.

Travis

You have me mistaken for that deflave sicko.. grin

That's why I'm so good at getting inside the mind of a woman. It's almost like cheating. Please don't tell anyone else.

Travis
Man, I've hacked up enough crud to fill a water tough, spent more time in front of a computer, and watched more worthless crap on TV. Right now Julia Roberts is in some movie with an abusive husband. I swear she is the ugliest woman that ever sucked the chrome off a Ford bumper, what a mouth.

I think I am getting better, but not because of the TV or the Steelhead thread...

Desparation, man. You feel so bad, you either get better or croak. laugh
Man, I've hacked up enough crud to fill a water tough, spent more time in front of a computer, and watched more worthless crap on TV. Right now Julia Roberts is in some movie with an abusive husband. I swear she is the ugliest woman that ever sucked the chrome off a Ford bumper, what a mouth.

I think I am getting better, but not because of the TV or the Steelhead thread...

Yeah, I never found her very attractive. Not that a woman need be for me to get involved with her, I'm just saying she isn't.

We're here for you shrapnel. We'll get you through this. That Steelhead thread sucks. The drama queens are still trying to maintain it's drama.

Travis
No, I've been over there too, trying to wreck that train wreck of a thread...
Hope you feel better- I've had it, just to get it twice again. I had a spiral CT scan a year ago and it looks like the scarring is minimal, luckily. Fluids, meds, stay active- the advice about not laying around is valid.
The third go-around was real fun; a 10mm kidney stone along with it. Pretty much figured out what hell was like in that ordeal.
© 24hourcampfire