Home
...that I HAVE to vote for Romney, because of the IMPORTANCE of having SCOTUS appointments done by someone who will appoint "originalists", all I can say is BULL$HIT.

After today's actions by the Chief of the so called "originalist" justices, your arguments ring very, very, hollow.
Originally Posted by mike762
...that I HAVE to vote for Romney, because of the IMPORTANCE of having SCOTUS appointments done by someone who will appoint "originalists", all I can say is BULL$HIT.

After today's actions by the Chief of the so called "originalist" justices, your arguments ring very, very, hollow.

+1

Most of us don�t like this but it is what is it is.

A liberal justice will vote like this all the time.

Really all Roberts did was rule that Congress could not govern Inactivity as Commence and rule the Penalty a Tax.

Like it or not it is worse to have judges legislate from the bench.

So you let Obwan appoint 2 news justices and you will really see problems.

Keep your head up.

Snake
the irony of all this is that this case will be the best case restricting the use of the commerce clause to justify regulation since Lopez.
Originally Posted by temmi

Really all Roberts did was rule that Congress could not govern Inactivity as Commence and rule the Penalty a Tax.

Like it or not it is worse to have judges legislate from the bench.

So you let Obwan appoint 2 news justices and you will really see problems.

Keep your head up.

Snake

+1
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
the irony of all this is that this case will be the best case restricting the use of the commerce clause to justify regulation since Lopez.
another +1
My thought is that O is feeling extremely [bleep] right now.
Maybe if the repukes get back into power they can require everyone to join the NRA or pay a tax...

No argument from me - not on that one - not any more.....

Only reason now to vote for Romney is hoping (yeah, I know) he'll actually do what he's claiming he'll do - repeal it..

Well you could just forget about voting and see what better appointment Obama would make smart man.

I'll pick the less of two evil no matter how much less that might be.
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

Evil is evil, lesser or smaller.
Lesser evil is better than more evil. That's a fact, Jack.
+1000000 Benchman. wink

Gunner
Originally Posted by ltppowell
My thought is that O is feeling extremely [bleep] right now.

Pat, maybe I am just dense, but I can't understand how O could feel that way?
Can you expand upon your statement for us dummies??
:please:

80% of GOP appointed Justices voted against Obamacare.

0% of Democrat appointed Justices voted against Obamacare.

How hard can it be to grasp that 80% is a hell of a lot better than 0%?
80% of nothing is still nothing.

no problem Mike, just vote for obama, and you won't have to worry how HE will pick.
Roberts did one very important thing everyone is overlooking. He put this matter squarely back in the hands of voters who can settle it in November.

You can vote for anyone you want to and it isn't going to make even a little bit of difference, just like my vote. You ever hear of the electoral college? Their votes count; not yours and mine.
We do have some people on here that are undercover Democrats, or just stoopid. Not calling anybody out, but we all know who they are. 163bc this is not aimed at you, I just replied on your post. miles
For those actually living in the real world, benchman speak BIG truth.

Mike, you are a bud and a gentleman and I'm on your side, but here it is. There is no army assembling in Richmond, no troops outside Fort Sumter. This even as the last decision of this sort didn't go our way anyway. Everything you say is absolutely true. You can either go vote to try and do something positive or at least stay the slide, dependent upon your viewpoint, or you can stay home. I for one will not blame you either way. I personally am going to keep trying to halt or slow the slide, for my children if for no other reason. I'm also going to make a concerted effort to not worry about it as much but at the same time to pray to Jesus more. Knowing what is going on always helps but worrying about it seldom does. We know Who is in charge and ultimately, Who will win.

You're my friend and I hope this isn't offensive to you. And...there are some here who needed to hear what you're saying.

I am doing good not by picking evil, whether it be lesser or greater. I am doing good by slaying as much of it as I am capable of, as poor as that may seem.

Be advised...giving up is what the bad guys want the good guys to do. In the history of the earth since the first two made their choice and their offspring slew their offspring, has it ever not been so?
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

it isn't nothing....and the left will come to hate this case for the commerce clause holding.

politically, affirming the constitutionality of Obamacare while officially labeling it the largest middle class tax increase in history is not a deal Obama would have taken.

80% of a CHANCE is much better than no chance at all.

Sure as hell hope I never have to share a fox hole with you. I want someone to fight and cling to that last chance to get out.

[bleep] defeatists...
Like most here, I wish that Roberts had voted to toss the ACA, but don't put the full load on him. From his comments, I don't think he likes it a bit, but does not see the tax as unconstitutional. I'm sure he's sick by the company he's in today!

Remember, both of Barry's judges voted for the ACA without disagreeing with any of it, and one of them should have recused herself.

I'll take the copperhead bite over that of the black mamba, Mike.
In a nut shell, Roberts said Health care is a tax and he now sends the issue back to us. WE The PEOPLE. So what are we going to do? Stand by and get taxed more? I'm voting R in ever race this year. Not becuase I believe the R's can fix this problem, but becuase we know full well the D's cannot and will not tax fairly. November cannot come soon enough. kwg
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

It gave us Heller, which never would have happened if morons had done the same in 2000 and 2004, as they did in 2008.

Roberts also ruled that Medicaid can't be used to fund OCare. Where will they get the funding?

Roberts specifically asserted that the court ewasn't speaking as to the wisdom of the legislation and that voters could do so in the Fall.

Since Congress can't fund it and Romney will repeal it by giving each state a waiver,the Dems are in a serious spot when they soon realize the polling numbers will soon shift strongly in favor of Romney.

Having said that,Roberts is a huge disappointment to me. Scalia must be dying trying to ride that politically correct fence.

Don't Cry For Me,Argentina!
u all quite whine'in...bend over and left big brother gov in....
Isaac, Shepard Smith just said on Fox that Roberts said his job was to " find a way to make it work". He is a POS, IMHO.
So your choice is either stay home and or waste your vote on someone who has no chance? Either case a vote for Obama thus ENSURING we'll get the likes of Kagan, Ginsberg, etc. I guess you forgot Alito, Scalia, and Thomas. Good logic....
shelacking 2012 here we come!!!
I will vote against the POS that brought this days crap to the surface, Jorge.
Originally Posted by benchman
Lesser evil is better than more evil. That's a fact, Jack.

A little bankrupt is like being a little pregnant. This two party system as it stands today is a sure bet for business as usual, and has nothing to do with Capitalism.

Still a major problem with that, since if it's a tax, it's a direct tax, which requires annual apportionment (a major burden on the Federal Government), which the legislation doesn't provide for, so, even if a tax, it should have been ruled unconstitutional for requiring an unapportioned direct tax. The Sixteenth Amendment's exception regarding direct taxes only applies to income. The Obamacare tax is not a tax on income, and thus doesn't fall under the exception carved out by the Sixteenth Amendment.
Originally Posted by eyeball
Isaac, Shepard Smith just said on Fox that Roberts said his job was to " find a way to make it work". He is a POS, IMHO.

do you mean that little [bleep] shep smith, or Roberts?
Vote for Obama then.

he's right....it is a rule of construction that the court must find a statute constitutional if there is any way to do so, just as the court must rule on the narrowest ground possible. Statutes are presumed constitutional and if they can be interpreted in a way to be so held, that is what the court is required to do. note that he specifically noted that the statute could still be attacked "as applied" in a future case.....the same thing the court did in the Arizona case.
Roberts has to find a way to make Obama care work? WTF. HE (Jesus) said they would find a way to justify anything. HE was right, libs do that to justify lying, cheating, stealing, and laying on their azz doing nothing.
Steve, I'd be interested in your commentary on my post above.
Don't get me wrong. I want the abomination that is obamacare (nay, the naked assault on a. liberty and responsibility, b. the taxpayer i.e. "the productive", and c. the medical profession, one of the few semi-autonomous actual "professions" in existence and hence a threat to commies) gone, ground into the dust, and shamed out of existence.

And in the knee-jerk sense, wanted the abomination struck down soundly. Had been harboring a funny feeling this may come to pass, however.

And it's not all bad.

There is wisdom in this outcome, if put aside the penalty cum tax interpretation by Roberts. On the balance, he asserted some defintion to the commerce clause (of future import). And, most importantly, he essentially said to the voter, "You made this bed, you sleep in it or change it, but that is a legistlative issue."

And we all saw how slimy the process was (if those shenanigan's could be called legislative process). How was that permitted to come to pass? This was, in the end, a parent admonishing his slack-azz children to wake the [bleep] up and take positive, affirmative control of their country back through the intended means: scrutinization of who we appoint to represent us in the legislative process.

Zero own's this disaster of a law 100% now, with no one to scapegoat. All I have to say is, "Good luck, mutherphucker! And look forward to seeing your commie azz on the curb of 1600 Penn. shortly."
So Scalia isn't bright enough to do the same?
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Still a major problem with that, since if it's a tax, it's a direct tax, which requires annual apportionment (a major burden on the Federal Government), which the legislation doesn't provide for, so, even if a tax, it should have been ruled unconstitutional for requiring an unapportioned direct tax. The Sixteenth Amendment's exception regarding direct taxes only applies to income. The Obamacare tax is not a tax on income, and thus doesn't fall under the exception carved out by the Sixteenth Amendment.

They could easily get around that by giving people a deduction for having healthcare, you know, like giving people an extra deduction for purchasing an electric car, having kids, being old, etc. Roberts likely considered the difference between a deduction for healthcare and a penalty for not having healthcare too fine a line upon which to declare the mandate unconstitutional. Besides, he only went with the tax shtick because he wanted to preserve the perceived independence of the court rather than it always voting along predictable ideological lines.
Originally Posted by MacLorry

They could easily get around that by giving people a deduction for having healthcare, you know, like giving people an extra deduction for purchasing an electric car, having kids, being old, etc. Roberts likely considered the difference between a deduction for healthcare and a penalty for not having healthcare too fine a line upon which to declare the mandate unconstitutional. Besides, he only went with the tax shtick because he wanted to preserve the perceived independence of the court rather than it always voting along predictable ideological lines.
So, just a general increase in income tax (it would need to be huge), with a 100% deduction in the amount of whatever you spend on your private medical insurance?
The House is going to vote to repeal July 11th.

By calling it a tax, it puts the representatives in the hot seat due to the planned vote to repeal. They will answer for whatever choice they make at the polls. Well, a good portion of them anyway.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-co...-vote-on-repeal-week-of-july-127555.html

Well, a 100% tax credit would be much more advantageous than a tax deduction, if the Congress and POTUS wanted to cut the balls off this thing.

Issue waivers to states and tax credits to those that pay health insurance premiums.

No revenue = no funding = dead for all intents and purposes.

Well then, vote for obama or a loosing 3rd party dude. Certainly their picks for SCOTUS may be better than Romneys choice. Not. Lesser of two evils. Doesn't mean I like that. Does mean I"m smart enough to make the better of the two attempts every last time though.
Supreme court justices are something like backup systems, where one equals none, two equals one, etc. Five equals four under that scenario. We gave Obama two picks this time. If he gets enough the next time I won't have to waste my time voting for the rest of my life. I'll take Romney's worst picks over Obama's interpretation of conservative picks any time.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by MacLorry

So, just a general increase in income tax (it would need to be huge), with a 100% deduction in the amount of whatever you spend on your private medical insurance?

The amount you spend on private medical insurance plus medical and dental costs is currently deductable in the amount that exceeds 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. They could just change that so that healthcare insurance is its own deduction apart from the 7.5 percent threshold and with a maximum deduction up to the so-called penalty amount. They could work it to be revenue natural and extend it to those who don't itemize deductions.

Being such a deduction passes constitutional muster, the extra complexity only benefits tax accountants so it's better to just leave it as a penalty.

Apart from having to pay a penalty, the liability for unpaid medical bills is still an issue. The idea that you can get insurance on the way to the hospital is nonsense. Insurance companies won't be able to deny coverage, but they can take a reasonable amount of time to process an application and grant coverage and that period could be 10 or even 30 days. The individual will be responsible for all medical costs they rack up in that time and if they have assets above a certain threshold as determined by state law, they could lose them in forced bankruptcy proceedings.

Where the taxpayer gets hit is with people who qualify for free or subsidized healthcare or healthcare insurance. Also, Obamacare doesn't do anything about rising healthcare costs, so we'll all pay more over time.
"You ever hear of the electoral college? Their votes count; not yours and mine."
But, your vote determines how the electoral college voters cast their votes! Unless, the law has been changed.
It really sounds like to me that Roberts was getting a little pay back for Mr. O's dis at the State of the Union address. Obama's theme was the health care act was NOT a tax. Roberts says it IS a tax and Roberts has the last word.

Yes, Mr. O' it is a tax.
signed Chief Justice Roberts.

kwg
Originally Posted by kwg020
It really sounds like to me that Roberts was getting a little pay back for Mr. O's dis at the State of the Union address. Obama's theme was the health care act was NOT a tax. Roberts says it IS a tax and Roberts has the last word.

Yes, Mr. O' it is a tax.
signed Chief Justice Roberts.

kwg

This reminds me of a boxing match where you want to see a TKO by Justice Roberts siding with the conservative side rather than leave it up to the judges (no pun intended) and calling it a tax.

But in the long run, the idea of this being a tax my do far more harm to Obama and I bet he realizes it. I can see Romney's political ads already. It will be the interview with George Stephanopoulos where he tries to pin Obama down on this being a tax and O says "It's not a tax." And then the video gets stuck and continues to repeat "tax..tax...tax.."
no one will bring up that brobam said " no tax increase...."
no one will bring up that brobam said " no tax increase...."

Too late. They are already on the trail.

"The ruling is likely to drive voters toward Romney as "people realize they just got hit with a massive tax increase," the Romney adviser argued, adding that the tax argument is simpler than any previous criticism that Romney has leveled at the president regarding Obamacare.

"Frankly, to be able to tell you your taxes have been raised by this bill and you didn't know that, as opposed to trying to explain Congress's powers under the commerce clause, it's easier," the Romney adviser said, referencing the issue of the law's constitutionality."

"I didn't see the tax issue coming" says a senior Romney advisor
Rubio is already doing interviews about the SCOTUS ruling and that Obama said no tax increase.

The President said no tax increase on the middle class

Not so fast, take a deep breath and a second look.

CURL: Roberts to the Rescue for Romney

TWTimes: By Joseph Curl
Thursday, June 28, 2012

Traitor! Turncoat! Benedict Arnold!
Those contemptuous epithets and more were hurled by Republicans and conservatives at Supreme Court Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. moments after he single-handedly saved Obamacare, joining liberals on the bench to break a 4-4 tie.
The Supreme Court has abandoned us,� Texas Gov. Rick Perry declared. �Simply disappointing,� Florida Gov. Rick Scott moaned. �Activist court,� Rep. Michele Bachmann cried.
Even Ari Fleischer, the former spokesman for George W. Bush, who appointed Chief Justice Roberts to the court, joined in. �I miss Justice Harriet Miers,� he whined

But they all miss the point, and, more, by looking purely at the political, miss the forest for the trees.

In voting to uphold Mr. Obama�s disastrous health-care overhaul, the chief justice took away the president�s main line of attack that surely would have been deployed had the court voted 5-4, along party lines.

The Divider in Chief, already bent on stoking cultural warfare � upper-middle class vs. lower-middle class, white against black against Hispanic, gay against straight, believers against non-believers � had no doubt hoped to win one more target for his bilious bifurcation.

Were the five justices appointed by Republican president to have stuck together in opposition, Mr. Obama would have toured the country (at taxpayer expense) to decry the court�s action as nothing more than an act political usurpation � how dare those five men take away the will of the people?!

But Justice Roberts did just the opposite (and, bonus, also strictly adhere to the original intent of the Constitution).

Obamacare is unconstitutional if it were to be enacted via the Commerce Clause, but not if it�s simply a tax, the justice wrote. �Because the Constitution permits such a tax, it is not our role to forbid it, or to pass upon its wisdom or fairness.�

In so doing, Justice Roberts has just busted Campaign 2012 wide open.

The high court�s ruling leaves in place 21 tax increases costing nearly $700 billion.
Of those taxes, 12 would affect families earning less than $250,000 per year.
Now that Obamacare�s penalty is a �tax,� not a �fee,� Mr. Obama is breaking a 2008 campaign pledge not to raise taxes on Americans earning less than $250,000.
This new �tax� will hit across the economic spectrum, despite his campaign declaration that health care should �never be purchased with tax increase on middle-class families.�

Now, Mr. Obama and congressional Democrats have enacted the largest tax increase in history.

Chief Justice Roberts has given Mitt Romney a key attack: The president is a tax-and-spend liberal bent on expanding government to unprecedented levels.

And the presumed Republican nominee knows it:
If we want to get rid of Obamacare, we�re going to have to replace President Obama,� he said from a rooftop in Washington overlooking the Capitol. �What the court did not do on its last day in session, I will do on my first day if elected president.�

Mr. Obama, of course, gloated about the win. �The highest Court in the land has now spoken,� he said. Indeed it has: And a majority of the justices are calling your �fee� a �tax.�

So, for Campaign 2012, it�s game on.

And for his part, Mr. Fleischer regained his pithy pundacity after digesting the high court�s ruling.
Mitt Romney will appeal this decision to the American people on November 6th. Oral arguments are already taking place.�

� Joseph Curl covered the White House and politics for a decade for The Washington Times. He can be reached at [email protected]
Originally Posted by Redneck
Only reason now to vote for Romney is hoping (yeah, I know) he'll actually do what he's claiming he'll do - repeal it..

"But Grandpa, why did America have to fall and all those people have to die?"

"Well, for lots of reasons, my boy, and not very good ones. But in a nutshell, it was because people believed politicians."

DITTOS +1,000.
"Obviously this is absurd. It can't possibly be true that the Founding Fathers wrote into the constitution a very elaborate, complex process of amending the Constitution and [then] said, 'Hold up, if the Supreme Court is split four to four between liberals and conservatives and Justice Kennedy wakes up in the morning, he becomes a one-person constitutional convention."

Gingrich said "judicial supremacy" was not the vision of the Founding Fathers and is unconstitutional.

LOL
You're polite. Ask em how many ways they can cook their crow.
CURL: Roberts to the Rescue for Romney

It's just possible, you have to be pretty clever to reach the Supreme Court, politics notwithstanding.

Piss off the wobbly middle.
Fire up the conservative/Republican base.
Good political result in the general election.
Proper legal result when it's repealed.
Defend the integrity of the Court as "impartial." If you watch MSNBC at all, the rabid left had warehouses stacked with pitchforks and torches ready to issue.

It's just possible, I don't know what else could lead to such a legally flawed and intellectually vapid opinion.
Originally Posted by RISJR
Roberts also ruled that Medicaid can't be used to fund OCare. Where will they get the funding?
Higher taxes my friend - higher taxes..

Roberts specifically asserted that the court ewasn't speaking as to the wisdom of the legislation and that voters could do so in the Fall.
I'm sure we'll all try..

Since Congress can't fund it and Romney will repeal it ...
We hope.. So far, all that is is talk...

Having said that,Roberts is a huge disappointment to me.
!
Disappointment is a very kind work, IYAM.. 'Traitorous liberal dickhead' might be closer to reality..
Originally Posted by Barak
Originally Posted by Redneck

"But Grandpa, why did America have to fall and all those people have to die?"

"Well, for lots of reasons, my boy, and not very good ones. But in a nutshell, it was because people believed politicians."
On that, there can be NO argument... Especially in relation to the Liar in Chief..

How many Obama appointees voted to let the liberals continue to block your 2d Amend rights in Heller? How would that have gone if Obama had 2 more picks on the court?
What's to keep Obama from admitting it will be a tax, but that HE wants to pass that cost on to those above the 250K threshold and not on those below?

That's kool aide of the redest tinge. The obvious of course is that twice this week you had "conservative" justices vote to:

A) trample sovergn borders, and state's rights into the history books. (Kennedy, and Roberts, yipeeeeeeee)

B) Allow socialized medicine to proceed.

Further, there will no benefit of restriction of the commerce clause, because Roberts' ruling was to allow through the use of taxation. You being the attorney, I'll trust you to fill in the legal term (I read it, but forget). No precedent was established disallowing the commerece clause, they are free to try it again, but there's no need, because Roberts so kindly pulled out of his asz verbage that wasn't even there.

It's over, and no there won't be a full repeal. Ha!, how many years has it been since Roe V Wade, and Lib's made hay with instilling fear of appeal of that for DECADES - dejavu brother.
Originally Posted by Mako25

That's kool aide of the redest tinge. The obvious of course is that twice this week you had "coservative" justices vote to:

A) trample sovergn borders, and state's rights into the history books. (Kennedy, and Roerts, yipeeeeeeee)

B) Allow socialized medicine to proceed.

Further, there will no benefit of restriction of the commerce clause, because Roberts' ruling was to allow through the use of taxation. You being the attorney, I'll trust you to fill in the legal term (I read it, but forget). No precedent was established disallowing the commerece clause, they are free to try it again, but there's no need, because Roberts so kindly pulled out of his asz verbage that wasn't even there.

It's over, and no there won't be a full repeal. Ha!, how many years has it been since Roe V Wade, and Lib's made hay with instilling fear of appeal of that for DECADES - dejavu brother.
Yep.
Talked with my son today, he's grinnin' like the proverbial Cheshire Cat. He works for Midwest Mutual, hates the concept of socialized medicine, but does anticipate windfalls from insurance policies (I'm talkin' no need to work any more windfalls).

Mebee he'll forget how I paddled, and grounded him as a snot-nose lad.
I'm just wanting to know, what's in it for sacharlie when the USA goes under or she makes it to 70 and isn't worth expensive medical repair? Does she hate freedom to the point of willingly cutting off her nose to spite her face, or is she stupid enough to think all we need to do is print more money, as many dumbocraps are?

Yep. The whole system is a farce and well worth boycotting.
Good Sir, as of Dependence Day (June 28th, 2012) we're all in the same leaky, listing, powerless, rudderless boat.
I guess if the Africans vote to destroy us, I'll take the other side of the coin. Bush tried, he was just too stupid to pick a conservative.
© 24hourcampfire