Home
What a surprise! mad LINK

YONKERS, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) � A deal to give New York one of the toughest gun control laws in the nation is being negotiated by Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who, sources said Tuesday, is hoping to announce the plan Wednesday during his State of the State speech in Albany.

Cuomo hopes to jump-start the 2013 legislative session with a big deal that could dramatically alter gun control laws across the state.

Highly placed sources told CBS 2�s Marcia Kramer that Cuomo is negotiating with Assembly and Senate leaders for a package of gun control laws that would be a dramatic response to the gun violence besetting the nation, including the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

�It�s a very divisive topic,� Cuomo said on Wednesday. �There�s a lot of energy on both sides. Some people are vehemently against� some people think we�re out of our minds for not passing it.�

Sources told Kramer the governor and lawmakers are negotiating furiously in the hope that Cuomo can announce a deal during his speech Wednesday.

Sources said the package is expected to include:

* New restrictions on assault weapons

* Stiffer penalties for using a gun to commit a crime

* New limits on the number of bullets in a gun magazine

�Gun control is highly political, politically contentious situation. It is polarizing,� Cuomo said.

In Westchester County, where Mamaroneck�s Hommocks Middle School was under lockdown last week amid reports a gunman tried to enter the school, the need for gun control is on the minds of many.

�There�s just too many incidents that are happening that you think could be avoided if there were stronger regulations about it,� one mother from Larchmont said, adding when asked if her children�s safety is her motivation, �Absolutely, I mean you can�t even send them to school now. Now my kids have police in front of their school. I mean you wonder how far it�s going to go.�

�I think it�s necessary with everything that�s happening,� Mamaroneck resident Gail Nubile added. �With the recent things that have been going on it does make you think that things to be happening, so you have to be extra cautious.�

Cuomo�s move comes as Mayor Michael Bloomberg�s Mayors Against Gun Violence released a new commercial to push for federal action. It features Roxanna Green, the mother of Christina Taylor-Green, who was killed two years ago Tuesday in the Tucson, Ariz., massacre.

�How many more children must die before Washington does something to end our gun violence problem?� Roxanna Green says during the ad.

It would be quite a coup for Cuomo, a potential 2016 presidential candidate, to show progress on gun control while Washington dithers.

Late Tuesday night the sides still had not reached an agreement, but sources told CBS 2′s Kramer the Legislature would stay in session for the rest of the week to make sure a deal gets done.

The lid's gunna come off this pressure cooker, it's just a matter of how, where, and when.
I said it in another thread and I will repeat it...What we need is more control over mentally damaged people,but of course.. The PC Police will be against it.
watch the crime rate go up there.......
Originally Posted by Scott F
It would be quite a coup for Cuomo, a potential 2016 presidential candidate, to show progress on gun control while Washington dithers.

Or might possibly be his worst political move ever. New York might stand for it but the rest of us won't.
Originally Posted by eh76

Ya mean it can get worse?
Damn, I was hoping Q-HOMO was close to announcing he's HIV positive, [bleep] that rat hole skank punk.

Gunner
NYC might approve of this, but the rest of the state will fight this tooth and nail.
I lived in NY my first 41 years...trust the gun laws are stiff enough. When I moved to GA 5 years ago I couldnt comprehend the laws, or lack of laws especially related to handguns. Love GA in that respect. I have always thought that I would retire someday and return to the ADK's....now, not so much.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
NYC might approve of this, but the rest of the state will fight this tooth and nail.

Damn I hope your right OO, it'll be up to our friends DVD and ET to kick the mortal hell out of those commie bastards.

Gunner
It is a ball I really never wanted to attend. If any have noticed, I do NOT use the word "FIGHT" lightly. Once the dancing begins, in for a penny,in for a pound.
It won't pass and he will NOT be re-elected either. I know, I live in this friggin place yet
There is room for you here. I am serious.
Type 1 diabetes, ulcerative colitus,Hell I am about as dangerous an adversary as anyone could ask for. I know how to fight and I am really extremely heartless. Why run??
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Type 1 diabetes, ulcerative colitus,Hell I am about as dangerous an adversary as anyone could ask for. I know how to fight and I am really extremely heartless. Why run??

Well for one you already fought once and that was the kind nobody needs to repeat.

But I know how you feel.
I knew you'd be a hard case on 'em ET, wink and Ruger45-70, hope yer right Bro.

Gunner
Worse
wink

Gunner
Come on down to GA, ET....and bring some Mikes with ya!
So does Andrew make Mario look tame?
I know how to fight and I am really extremely heartless. Why run??

That's beautiful! grin

Perhaps we oughta be headed - to you.
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570
I said it in another thread and I will repeat it...What we need is more control over mentally damaged people,but of course.. The PC Police will be against it.

It would mean all liberals would be committed to mental institutions. Sounds reasonable.
MI's for the initial de-lousing, then off to the wood chippers.

Gunner
Man O' live, how many of these Cuomos are there?
Stiffer penalties for using a gun to commit a crime.

This is the only one mentioned that makes any sense. And the penalty needs to be harsh and swift.
Leftists governments have killed about 150 million of their own citizens in the last 100 years. Does anyone except me think that eliminating leftists would be a really, really good thing? Fairness and all that?
I read people saying the rest of the state won't stand for it as opposed to NYC. Really? If that was the case why is he in office to begin with?
Originally Posted by packrat77

This is the only one mentioned that makes any sense. And the penalty needs to be harsh and swift.

What I was thinking...except that I know how those guys like to turn the law against the good guys. I'd only hope there was insulation of some sort so that some guy who defends himself couldn't get hung by such law.
Do you think he's really concerned enough he's going to give up his personal armed protection?
[/quote]What I was thinking...except that I know how those guys like to turn the law against the good guys. I'd only hope there was insulation of some sort so that some guy who defends himself couldn't get hung by such law. [/quote]

Yep, that's definitely needed.

my thoughts exactly... wait until after they pass this crap and then it happens again...

and then they will go on that they didn't go far enough this time...

What are they going to do? Make murder with a gun double illegal? There are plenty of laws already on the books if the powers that be want to prosecute someone.

What they want to do is make stiff penalties for anyone not complying with any new gun ban. That is the crime they are interested in.
People defected from communist countries in search of more freedom. How many people will "escape" from New York to retain their universal freedom to remain armed according to their own wishes?? How many gun owners will bend over and take whatever the politicians tell them to take??

They don't care about crime.
I have started, and it will probally take me a year or two to do it, but I'm doing it. I am preparing to leave New York and start over someplace more gun friendly, and less tax happy. How I wish I had done this when I was 18. There are some serious logistics to it when you are 43, but I need to get out of here. Wyoming is looking pretty nice.
Originally Posted by stevelyn

They don't care about crime.

Just like their communists bros to the West in chitcago.

Gunner
I believe New York has a 10 round max magazine law in-place already, what is he going to make 2?
[quote=Ruger 4570]I said it in another thread and I will repeat it...What we need is more control over mentally damaged people,but of course.. The PC Police will be against it. [/quote]

I totally agree we need to stop electing them to polical office.

Jim

Like some heroin addict is going to care when he robs for his next fix. All this will be designed to do is keep law abiding citizens from defending them selves in public.
Yep!
It's going to be a dark day for those of us in NY, but it doesn't mean it's over. There's still a legal fight to be had. It just amazes me how stupid sheeple in this state can be. This F#@$^& government can't seem to do ANYTHING effectively and expediently except restrict rights and raise taxes. mad

I really love NY for the weather and outdoors and the good people of upstate. I've lived here since I was 10 and it's where my family is. It's the Politics that have destroyed a once great state.

sad.
Originally Posted by NathanL
I read people saying the rest of the state won't stand for it as opposed to NYC. Really? If that was the case why is he in office to begin with?
Because the vast majority of Dems live in NYC and that region of NYS they are who is putting these slugs into office ...the remainer of the state is tilted Republican and conservative,we have senetors and representavives we elected for our districts that will fight this in Albany
Kick the mortal [bleep] outta them DVD. mad

Gunner

Of course they will be against it! They won't legislate themselves out of office now will they!? smile
Originally Posted by bbassi

I really love NY for the weather and outdoors and the good people of upstate. I've lived here since I was 10 and it's where my family is. It's the Politics that have destroyed a once great state.

sad.

Born and raised up there. I miss the peaks of the Adirondacks, the Foliage of the Catskills, and the Splendor of the Finger Lakes.....

But, you can't drag me back there to live under those political conditions....

Bittersweet leaving NY...
It won't pass and he will NOT be re-elected either. I know, I live in this friggin place yet

Did you feel the same way about Obamacare being tossed and the Emperor stopped at one term?? Just askin' smile

Originally Posted by bbassi

Politics have destroyed several states... Not just limited to NY.. We have our own issues here in TAX HELL WISCONSIN.. Have to keep fighting the damn liberals in Madison who run this state with an iron fist..
My wife and I have it made in so many ways. We have an absolute dream home in the woods, with waterfront, just outside the little town where we both grew up. I'm right now looking out across the St. Lawrence river into Canada and the view is to die for. From my front deck I can see the island where I began hunting ducks with my dad and the guy who is now my FIL over fifty years ago. I have other blinds for any combination of wind and weather within five minutes boat ride from my front door. Ten minutes from here I've got a couple hundred acres with my brother where we keep our horses and hunt deer. Another ten minutes away we have a couple hundred acres where we "woods hunt" deer. We want out. We're pretty much trapped here for the next eight years, but as soon as we can, we're leaving. The left-wing statists are making this state an absolute hell. We're paying the nation's highest taxes for an education system that is an absolute disaster. Our income is such we should be pretty comfortable, but we are being taxed into oblivion. Now this. There's got to be something better.
Originally Posted by cra1948
We want out. We're pretty much trapped here for the next eight years, but as soon as we can, we're leaving. The left-wing statists are making this state an absolute hell. We're paying the nation's highest taxes for an education system that is an absolute disaster. Our income is such we should be pretty comfortable, but we are being taxed into oblivion. Now this. There's got to be something better.

+1

I have written to the Governor and my representatives. I have sent money to the NRA. I don't know what else to do. We are stuck here for a while but eventually leaving has definitely become our plan.
The really sad part is that far too many really believe that more gun control will solve the issue, for instance, at schools.

Can you say dumb & brainwashed?

MM
You guys are [bleep].. Nothing worse than liberal with a agenda... I feel for all you living in gun grabbing states...
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Because the vast majority of Dems live in NYC and that region of NYS they are who is putting these slugs into office ...the remainer of the state is tilted Republican and conservative,we have senetors and representavives we elected for our districts that will fight this in Albany

Just seems to me that governor is a state wide office and the same people who voted last time will vote next time. If they were concerned with 2A rights they wouldn't have voted democrat to begin with.
NEVER corner a man that has nothing to lose!

I know for a fact they don't want to corner me.
Population in NYC and upstate will get Dems elected to Governor and US senate and congress...different ball game for local officials that will represent their constituents in Albany
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

What I was thinking...except that I know how those guys like to turn the law against the good guys. I'd only hope there was insulation of some sort so that some guy who defends himself couldn't get hung by such law.

In spite of many comments about the Left Coast we have a law in Washington that says if you are prosecuted for a gun crime and found not guilty the state is responsible for all your legal fees and your time loss. It is a great law and it keeps prosecutors from trying to hang someone when they are not guilty.
Someone needs to ask the gov what are his goals, what are his expectations? Zero gun deaths? Drop 20% in gun deaths? Quantify what he wants and then it can be measured.

Not that it matters.

Even as NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo begins his push for stricter gun control in his state, reports indicate that New York City -- the state's population capital -- has recorded its lowest numbers of homicides and shootings in 50 years.

In other words, the laws on the books are already sufficient and the people are doing an effective job of policing themselves.

As is so often the case, no new gun laws are needed, but they are being pursued by politicians in NY anyway.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...Control-With-NYC-Homcides-At-50-Year-Low

I wouldn't bet your paycheck on it. Once NY does it a BUNCH will follow.

EXACTLY!

I don't know the stats for New York, but in many many states, if one gets the big urban area voters in line, he does not need to worry about the rest. Las Vegas can rule Nevada, Boise all of Idaho, Denver and burbs all of Colorado, etc across the country. Rural and small town communities are totally irrelevant. Here in Oregon, political folks concentrate their efforts on 20% of the state in the northwest corner (Portland / Salem). That's enough to jam anything down the rest of the state's throat. My local county and the two adjacent counties constitute 29.4% of Oregon's land base, we never see a politician, and they don't care what we think. Sucks, but it's true.
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Do you think he's really concerned enough he's going to give up his personal armed protection?

EXACTLY!!!

There is the HYPOCRISY of the people that are pushing oh sooo hard destroy OUR/We THE People 2nd Amend rights!!

They have no problem with having people with guns around them.....as long as they are protecting them and their families. WTF do they think that ordinary citizens do not have the same right to defend their families!!???
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

What are they going to do? Make murder with a gun double illegal? There are plenty of laws already on the books if the powers that be want to prosecute someone.

What they want to do is make stiff penalties for anyone not complying with any new gun ban. That is the crime they are interested in.

I realize what they want, no guns in the hands of law abiding citizens.

What I meant was that they need to enforce the laws already on the books, use the death penalty, and do it quickly, unless there isn't solid proof. Plus taking away all the perks in prison and make them do some hard labor would help also.
Originally Posted by Pat85

Like some heroin addict is going to care when he robs for his next fix. All this will be designed to do is keep law abiding citizens from defending them selves in public.

He won't do it the next time if he is put to death.
Yes we will 70 miles North of NYC is another World full of guns..
Because there are about 17 million liberal [bleep] in that cesspool they call NYC and only about 2 million in the rest of the state.
7 million in NYC. 8 million for the rest os NY
I don't really know for sure but Wikipedia says 18.9 million in metropolitan NYC as of 2012.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Because there are about 17 million liberal [bleep] in that cesspool they call NYC and only about 2 million in the rest of the state.
You got it they out number us and form voting blocks in lower NY.

We just want to be left alone in North NYS,Hilda beast Clinton was elected NYS Congress woman with the votes of Negros and Jew voting blocks,not us..

Stiffer? WTF do you mean, you murder someone you can recieve the death penalty. How much stiffer can you get?

Swifter... yes by all means.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I don't really know for sure but Wikipedia says 18.9 million in metropolitan NYC as of 2012.

no. there are no more than 8 mil residents of the city.

there are many of us here who are very conservative. unfortunately it is a drop in the bucket compared to all the lefties amongst us.

-ken

As in PUT the FRIGGAN FRUIT CAKES IN THE NUT HOUSE................... You kill with a gun, you get convicted and YOU die. What the hell is so hard to understand???????????????????
Originally Posted by rost495

Stiffer? WTF do you mean, you murder someone you (can) WILL recieve the death penalty AND YOU WILL BE EXECUTED How much stiffer can you get?

Swifter... yes by all means.

Fixed it for you.
article
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

and therein lies the rub, you've been to see the elephant, buried comrades in doing so and we're all lucky you made it back alive.

despite your protestations to the contrary, you're a helluva good man Jim, and I curse any gov't that would make you a criminal by legislation that usurps your God given right to defend yourself and those you love, especially after a lifetime devoted to defending those you didn't even know.

there's something inherently evil in legislation that would do so.

a curse upon those with the intent to do so.
ALBANY � Invoking recent gun tragedies in Connecticut and upstate New York, Gov. Cuomo detailed for the first time Wednesday his plan to pass the nation�s toughest gun laws.

He used his third State of the State address to call for expanding the state�s assault weapons ban, eliminating all large capacity magazines, and allowing police to confiscate the guns of New Yorkers considered mentally unstable.

In his printed message to the Legislature, titled �New York Rising,� Cuomo said, �Guns have both a noble and tragic tradition in America and in New York State.�

While gun ownership is rooted in the nation�s �fiercely defended independence and self-reliance,� Cuomo wrote that in the wrong hands �guns are also weapons of untold destruction and heartbreak.�

His plan includes banning of all assault weapons with military features �unneeded and unwanted for hunting and sporting purposes� and limiting large capacity magazines to a maximum of seven bullets, down from the current minimum of 10.

Cuomo said he wants to close a loophole in the current law weapons ban that allows the rifles and large capacity clips manufactured prior to 1994 to continue to be sold.

And he proposed to replace a patchwork of licensing requirements across the state with a single standard that would require all gun licenses to be renewed every few years

He is also seeking to close a loophole that exempts the sale of firearms between private parties from background checks.

And he would allow mental health professionals who determine a gun holder is likely a danger to report the risks to law enforcement.

If the person is deemed a threat, Cuomo�s plan would allow for the firearm license to be suspended or revoked and the weapons confiscated by law enforcement.

In a nod to state Senate Republicans, Cuomo also proposed enhanced penalties for those who illegally buy guns, use them on school property, and engage in violent and �serious� drug-related gang activity.

Cuomo in recent weeks has been in intense negotiations with the Legislature � not only to enact the new gun laws but to do so quickly, to make New York a leader on the issue.

Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver said earlier Wednesday a deal was 95 percent done.

In his printed message to the Legislature, Cuomo cited the Newtown, Conn., school shooting that left 20 children dead and the Christmas Eve attack near Rochester in which a man apparently set his house on fire and shot at the first responders, killing two.

�Our first responders who put themselves in harm�s way each day to protect us are, when feloniously killed, overwhelmingly killed by guns,� Cuomo said.

He argued that nationwide, 70 percent of murders are committed with guns, with minority communities �bearing the brunt of the deaths.�

�Guns not only cost us lives, but they also impose huge economic costs,� he said of the estimated $2 billion a year spent nationally to treat nearly 500,000 non-fatal gunshot injuries from assaults.

�Fear of gun violence invades neighborhoods, causing disruptions in the normal rhythms of life, work and school,� he said. �That threat depresses property values and puts a drag on economic development.�

�It does not have to be this way. We can ensure that we promote safe ownership of guns and reduce gun violence by a sensible combination of legislation and executive action.�

In non-gun related measures, Cuomo expressed concerns at the number of Stop and Frisk stops by police in New York.

He says the police tactic can be credited with lowering crime but also �threatens to undermine the relationship of trust between the police and the people they are sworn to protect--the core foundation of any civil society.�

�While it is impossible to define the �right number� of stop and frisks, alost 700,000 has to be too many,� he said.

He renewed his call for the decriminalization of small amounts of pot police might find during a stop and frisk.

The call was part of a progressive agenda that many saw as a response to wary liberals who claim he has moved too far too the right his first two years in office.

Cuomo also said he wants to phase in a hike to the current $7.25 an hour minimum wage to $8.75 an hour.

Cuomo aides denied he is tacking to the left in the fact of criticism.

They said the liberal issues are what�s left of the agenda he proposed when he ran in 2010 but were blocked by the GOP-controlled Senate the past two years.

Cuomo also included a host of economic development initiatives, proposed changes to the education system, and called for new government reforms.

Our accomplishments over the past two years show us that one thing is clear,� he said. �We can defy the odds and deny the naysayers. We can accomplish anything together.

�So let us begin.�
That looks like an all out ban. I have refrained from saying this so far, but it looks like dark days ahead. Our founding fathers are spinning.
If there were 20 or 30 million NRA members, this wouldn't be happening.
At least on the bright side there will be plenty of jobs opening up in NY when we beat feet.
"the deal is 95% done" that is crazy!
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
.�

he would allow mental health professionals who determine a gun holder is likely a danger to report the risks to law enforcement.

If the person is deemed a threat, Cuomo�s plan would allow for the firearm license to be suspended or revoked and the weapons confiscated by law enforcement.[/color][/b]

.�

This simply makes us into the USSR. Keeping in mind that almost all so-called "mental health professionals" are flaming liberals, a trip to see one would almost automatically mean a loss of your 2A rights.
The plan is obvious..attack on all fronts

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...helm-nra-with-swift-gun-control-victory/
© 24hourcampfire