Home
Posted By: twofish Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/02/14
So my Lab pup got in a yellow jacket nest in the woods near my house. I would not be as concerned but this is a place he loves to play daily and I do training there too.

Trouble is the nest is under a thick layer (8"+/-) of dead leaves and debris. Because of this I cannot locate the entrance to the nest to eradicate the rat bastids.

My first thought is to wait until after dark tonight and quickly try to remove the debris so I can tell more about the entrance to nest.

Am I gonna get lit up?

Any suggestions appreciated. Also in the past I have seen folks pour gas down the hole and let fumes kill. I know some will cry foul on this. Next step would be something from Home Depot or Southern States.

Thanks,

twofish
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/02/14
Gas and a rock brother
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/02/14
You can locate the entrance, just pay attention.

Don't use gas, that can fugg you and the environment up.

Put a screen over opening, add stove fuel (alcohol), and light them up. A good mix of dawn and water out of a hudson will work also if you need to worry about setting the world on fire. Or yellowjacket spray..
Posted By: WillARights Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/02/14
Binoculars or spotting scope and watch where they concentrate and slow down to enter.

Then, your choice of disposal.
Posted By: twofish Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/02/14
I can see within a 2' radius where they come in and out. The hole has to be somewhere below the thick leaves on top. No way to tell exactly where

Should I just rake the stuff back as fast as possible after dark so I have a better chance to see the actual entrance? Hopefully I want get hammered by them doing this???

Don't want to start just pouring gas on top...
Posted By: speedsixman Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/02/14
Sevin dust from the garden store works wonders on these varmints, but you have to get it in the entrance hole where they will track it into the nest.

I used a plastic bottle with a spout that I cut back a little to let a bigger puff of the dust out. Gotta leave room for air in the bottle so you can use it to squirt the dust.

Invert the bottle to get the dust in the spout, insert in bee hole and squeeze the bottle.
Obviously this has to be done at night when the bees aren't very active. You only get one quick chance to do this before arousing the bees.
Bee careful!

Myron
Screen.

No gas.

Dawn and warm water out of a hudson. Drown the bastards.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/02/14
Hope your Dog is ok. I got into a nest once and got stung eight times or so on the face. My eyes about swelled shut.

Stay away from the gas, way too many people and kids have been disfigured by tossing a match into poured gas.

I have heard good things about Dawn soap and water mixture as well.

If you can burn them I prefer Diesel.
You don't light the gas! The fumes sink, maybe a capful is all.

Maybe shove a plasic water bottle in the hole and let the BPA's kill em.

Tree Huggers!
Originally Posted by twofish

My first thought is to wait until after dark tonight and quickly try to remove the debris so I can tell more about the entrance to nest.

Am I gonna get lit up?

twofish

Yep...day or night they'll get ya. Better to do it in the light. Like was said, go slow. Once you get close, you'll know. Back off & go get a lawn chair & a small chunk of raw meat. Throw it on the ground & sit & watch where they go after they leave the meat. Once you have them located come back at night so you get them all in the nest. How you kill em is up to you. If it's not too dry, I'd use fire.
Posted By: deflave Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/02/14
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco

Tree Huggers!

Too fuggin' funny...

Travis
If you can't see the entrance hole, AT NIGHT take a leaf rake and rake back the leaves from the entrance zone- next morniing see if you can find the entrance hole-AT NIGHT go back with about 8 oz of gasoline and pour it in the hole-yjs will be finished( do not ignite/ burn)
Posted By: Bama_Rick Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/02/14
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco

Tree Huggers!

Ha!
Posted By: BarryC Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/02/14
Get a can of WD40 and a butane lighter and use it like a flame thrower to burn the debris away from the entrance.

Heck, you may want to hang out in front of the hole all day frying them as they come or go. laugh
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/02/14
Originally Posted by BarryC
Get a can of WD40 and a butane lighter and use it like a flame thrower to burn the debris away from the entrance.

Heck, you may want to hang out in front of the hole all day frying them as they come or go. laugh

uh....you might want to take a couple of benadryl caps before you try this approach....'bout a 100mg or so should slow down the swelling....
Never had one get past the "Wall of Flame". laugh

Heck, I even do surface-to-air shots. laugh
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/02/14
would love to watch that.....from a distance......
When I left for the Military some thirty something years back there was a lead gas sniffin ole drunk named Luke Bently. Shook like a leaf and was dumb as a stump. When I rolled through the old homestead a while back, he was alive and everybody else was dead.

Luke is listed as "survived by" in more obituaries than any person I ever heard of laugh
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=64004170

Gas don't hurt nothing in our short time span, let me get back to frackin...Bye now laugh
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/02/14
Originally Posted by Plateau Hunter
If you can't see the entrance hole, AT NIGHT take a leaf rake and rake back the leaves from the entrance zone- next morniing see if you can find the entrance hole-AT NIGHT go back with about 8 oz of gasoline and pour it in the hole-yjs will be finished( do not ignite/ burn)

^^THIS^^

I did light the gas on fire once when i was a teenager and I did use more gas than I needed and I did almost $hit my pants. Left a hole in the ground big euff to bury a beach ball.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/02/14
If it is warm after dark they will light you up good and quick. Dark doesn't mean they cannot see or smell you. Cold is what slows them down while finding the hole.
I done this before a few times. Dawn and water work great but a big bonfire is more fun.
Posted By: deflave Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/02/14
You don't want them wide awake when you're trying to find the hole.

Travis
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/02/14
Remove the top layer at night, and in the morning, use one of those 25 foot range wasp killing spray cans.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
I done this before a few times. Dawn and water work great but a big bonfire is more fun.

It's fun reading about people like you in the newspaper.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Remove the top layer at night, and in the morning, use one of those 25 foot range wasp killing spray cans.

They will eat you up if you get near the nest at night.
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Originally Posted by Plateau Hunter
If you can't see the entrance hole, AT NIGHT take a leaf rake and rake back the leaves from the entrance zone-

^^THIS^^

grin And be sure to video tape it for the campfires amusement...
You start raking the entrance, even at night, you'll get a painfull lesson.
You must have boring life Rancho Loco getting your excitement from the paper.
Posted By: twofish Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/02/14
Thanks for the advice from all. I have gotten into nests twice before. Got stung 14 times in one of them and it was not enjoyable.

Thinking now I will just slip up on the location as best as I've bee able to discern it and go with the gas in the hole.(hopefully)

No plans to ignite. I know better than that $hit.

I will update be it swollen and battered or victorious!

Ever heard of Jesco White? He loved sniffin' gas...

twofish
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
You must have boring life Rancho Loco getting your excitement from the paper.

You would believe that.

People that have any brains, know different..
Posted By: twofish Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
Just doused those vermin with a couple quarts of death fumes.

Did not want to run through the woods in the dark.

They were not happy...
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
No pics?
Half a cup of gas & a match= dead hornets & very little drama.
Posted By: JimH Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
The bad thing about yellow jacket nest is that although the entrance is small,the honeycomb under ground can be bigger than a truck hood on a few I have seen plowed out.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
Jeez. Pint jar of kerosene and a match. Method of choice for the last hundred years.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
Buying a bee keepers hood http://www.dadant.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=34_66is inexpensive and very handy to have around the property for just these situations. With pants legs tucked into your socks, long sleeved hoody tucked inside the beekeepers hood and some long gloves sealed with duct tape one can wreak havoc with the insect world, day or night.

A couple times every summer I do just this, removing the wasps around the house, property, neighbors property and rather enjoy the experience wink
Posted By: LeroyJenkins Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14

Puzzy
Posted By: Scott F Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
I used the gas thing as well as using TCE in the days when there were still TCE fire extinguishers around. Now I use dish soap and a five gallon bucket of water. Soap and water works just as well and are a LOT better for the ground water.
Originally Posted by George_in_SD

Puzzy

Haha. puzzy or not no stings and dead nest was the goal.

We shall see who won in the morning. cool
Perhaps I'll pour in some soap and water tomorrow to atone for my transgression. blush

Twofish
Should be no need. The gas should have done it.
Dug into 2 separate nests today clearing brush and piles with the tractor loader. It was raining and I started to see YJs falling on the hood after getting hit by big raindrops. Mean bastards when pissed off. Backed out quick, but still got lit up above the ear.

That's been 5 hours now and it still furking hurts like hell.

I hate the sumbitches, absolutely hate them.

I would set off a low yield nuclear device right next to the hole if I could, so don't lecture me about 4 ounces of petroleum.

I would not know what it was like to be stung, it has never happened to me but then I have never been hurt any time in my life so I would not know about a little pain.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
A long time ago I learned to defeat the CPSC shut off on the mower with a bungee so when I came to a ground bee nest I could just leave it running over the entrance. Brave little bastids were no match for the Lawn boy.By the time it ran out of gas they'd all committed suicide.
Originally Posted by Scott F
I would not know what it was like to be stung, it has never happened to me but then I have never been hurt any time in my life so I would not know about a little pain.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Scott, seems we all have different forms of Elephant Balls. I've worked with snakes all my life and hot snakes on several occasions. Snakes don't bother me a bit, but things that fly and sting in numbers I do not care for. I can handle a Copperhead or Timber Rattler, but if you asked me to pick up that comb full of bees you have in that picture I'd tell you to GFY.

Show me the pic of you holding up the football size active yellow jacket nest you just dug out of the ground please. whistle

European Honey Bees and Yellow Jackets are not in the same conversation. Euro honey bees being friendly pollinators, yellow jackets being Satan's pissed off spawn.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
BBQ lighter fluid and a match. Won't go up like gasoline, just sucks all the oxygen out of the hole and leaves them with a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Works great on ant piles too.

Gasoline is for Darwin Award candidates.
Posted By: gt50 Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
I hate the little yellow bastids. I swell up pretty good when they sting me. This is the first year I have not had any on my property. Four years ago, I gassed 13 nests, the following year 10.

Wait till they are all in the nests at night. They will leave a guard or two at the front. Mark the hole in the daytime and come back at night. No need to suit up at night, just walk up and pour a little gas now the hole. As others have said, no need to light it, the fumes kill them.

If you are worried about the shrubs or the lawn, use hot water and dawn. However, I like to use gas as I like to think they suffer more.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
Could be the gas fumes make'em high as kites and they go to their maker partying their little stingers off... wink
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
The last hornet nest I had was in a railroad tie retaining wall. Sprayed can after can of wasp spray in the hole with no effect at all that I could see. Finally went to the farm supply store and got some fly spray concentrate that had a two week residual. Mixed it up thick and soaked the entrance hole at night. Never saw another bug flying around there again.
Posted By: Swift Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Always worked for me.
Posted By: JD338 Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
And don't forget brake cleaner. It kills fast and is half the price of hornet spray.

Here is a side note, the foaming hornet spray is also excellent for self defense. My daughters keep a can in their car and also by their beds just in case.

JD338
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
As a kid growing up in the south, it only takes one run in with a fire ant hill before a 5 gallon gas can and a book of matches becomes a source of sick entertainment.

I couldn't even begin to calculate the billions of biting lil nasties I've barbacued.

These days I typically just reach for the wasp spray.
Posted By: RWE Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
Only one way to deal with these things:

Originally Posted by ratsnakeboogy

Scott, seems we all have different forms of Elephant Balls. I've worked with snakes all my life and hot snakes on several occasions. Snakes don't bother me a bit, but things that fly and sting in numbers I do not care for. I can handle a Copperhead or Timber Rattler, but if you asked me to pick up that comb full of bees you have in that picture I'd tell you to GFY.

Show me the pic of you holding up the football size active yellow jacket nest you just dug out of the ground please. whistle

European Honey Bees and Yellow Jackets are not in the same conversation. Euro honey bees being friendly pollinators, yellow jackets being Satan's pissed off spawn.

True. I can and have handled poisonous snakes but in my old age I have a lot less desire to do it again. I would rater leave them alone or remove their heads.

I have killed ground bees, yellow jackets and such with the soap and water many times as well as bagged the big paper wasp nest in a trash bag then soaking it down with soapy water. It works great and does not pollute.

I willingly admit that there are a couple of aspects to the soap and water I like. First, the reason it works is the soap breaks down the surface tension of the water allowing the rotten little bastards drown and suffer a little. wink

Secondly I was in the environmental business and worked hard cleaning up ground water that was contaminated with just what some have recommended.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
It aint revenge unless you light the gas. Listen to the voices in your head. Light it

Napalm the fugkers
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
Find the hole. Take a 16oz pop or water bottle and put at least 4oz of gas, kerosene, or diesel fuel in it (diesel works best and kerosene is better than gas). After dark slip up quietly and insert the mouth of the bottle in the hold and walk away.
Posted By: powdr Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
This is the last time I'm going to help you guys out w/these wasps/bee problems. Get some seven dust in a solo drinking cup half to three quarters full and sprinkle on the two foot diameter spot. They'll be dead and gone the next day. Period. powdr
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
The only way to get rid of yellow jackets is after you find the hole ( at night), watch where the buggers are going in and out, sometimes there are 2 holes. At night take 1 or 2 RR flares and light 'em up and shove 'em inna hole(s). Cover the holes up with couplea shovels of dirt. The fumes and heat will get them all.
Gas, soapy water and crystal meth are all stoopid solutions.
I search for these nests.
Cisco
Update: Bastards were not all dead. It appears that I got most of them last night but there were obviously workers still out of the nest.

Stood back this morning with a can of wasp spray and sniped the remainder as they hovered the entrance area trying to figure out what had happened.

Will check back on it this PM and rinse and repeat as required.

Twofish
Posted By: 16penny Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
Go to Home Depot or Wal-Mart and buy a
can of black spray paint. Any kind, the cheaper the better

Spray 1/3 to 1/2 can on each hole and the surrounding turf,
fairly well. Once the wasps realize they live in a black neighborhood, they quit
working and start killing each other
Posted By: BarryC Re: Yellow Jacket nest... - 08/03/14
It's fun to stand by the entrance with a BB gun too & snipe them.
© 24hourcampfire