Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dug into 2 separate nests today clearing brush and piles with the tractor loader. It was raining and I started to see YJs falling on the hood after getting hit by big raindrops. Mean bastards when pissed off. Backed out quick, but still got lit up above the ear.

That's been 5 hours now and it still furking hurts like hell.

I hate the sumbitches, absolutely hate them.

I would set off a low yield nuclear device right next to the hole if I could, so don't lecture me about 4 ounces of petroleum.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I would not know what it was like to be stung, it has never happened to me but then I have never been hurt any time in my life so I would not know about a little pain.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Scott F; 08/02/14. Reason: Added picture to show just haow afraid I am of anything that stings

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A long time ago I learned to defeat the CPSC shut off on the mower with a bungee so when I came to a ground bee nest I could just leave it running over the entrance. Brave little bastids were no match for the Lawn boy.By the time it ran out of gas they'd all committed suicide.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Scott F
I would not know what it was like to be stung, it has never happened to me but then I have never been hurt any time in my life so I would not know about a little pain.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Scott, seems we all have different forms of Elephant Balls. I've worked with snakes all my life and hot snakes on several occasions. Snakes don't bother me a bit, but things that fly and sting in numbers I do not care for. I can handle a Copperhead or Timber Rattler, but if you asked me to pick up that comb full of bees you have in that picture I'd tell you to GFY.

Show me the pic of you holding up the football size active yellow jacket nest you just dug out of the ground please. whistle

European Honey Bees and Yellow Jackets are not in the same conversation. Euro honey bees being friendly pollinators, yellow jackets being Satan's pissed off spawn.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BBQ lighter fluid and a match. Won't go up like gasoline, just sucks all the oxygen out of the hole and leaves them with a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Works great on ant piles too.

Gasoline is for Darwin Award candidates.

Sean
IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I hate the little yellow bastids. I swell up pretty good when they sting me. This is the first year I have not had any on my property. Four years ago, I gassed 13 nests, the following year 10.

Wait till they are all in the nests at night. They will leave a guard or two at the front. Mark the hole in the daytime and come back at night. No need to suit up at night, just walk up and pour a little gas now the hole. As others have said, no need to light it, the fumes kill them.

If you are worried about the shrubs or the lawn, use hot water and dawn. However, I like to use gas as I like to think they suffer more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could be the gas fumes make'em high as kites and they go to their maker partying their little stingers off... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last hornet nest I had was in a railroad tie retaining wall. Sprayed can after can of wasp spray in the hole with no effect at all that I could see. Finally went to the farm supply store and got some fly spray concentrate that had a two week residual. Mixed it up thick and soaked the entrance hole at night. Never saw another bug flying around there again.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Remove the top layer at night, and in the morning, use one of those 25 foot range wasp killing spray cans.

Always worked for me.

220 Swift still king.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
And don't forget brake cleaner. It kills fast and is half the price of hornet spray.

Here is a side note, the foaming hornet spray is also excellent for self defense. My daughters keep a can in their car and also by their beds just in case.

JD338

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a kid growing up in the south, it only takes one run in with a fire ant hill before a 5 gallon gas can and a book of matches becomes a source of sick entertainment.

I couldn't even begin to calculate the billions of biting lil nasties I've barbacued.

These days I typically just reach for the wasp spray.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only one way to deal with these things:

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ratsnakeboogy

Scott, seems we all have different forms of Elephant Balls. I've worked with snakes all my life and hot snakes on several occasions. Snakes don't bother me a bit, but things that fly and sting in numbers I do not care for. I can handle a Copperhead or Timber Rattler, but if you asked me to pick up that comb full of bees you have in that picture I'd tell you to GFY.

Show me the pic of you holding up the football size active yellow jacket nest you just dug out of the ground please. whistle

European Honey Bees and Yellow Jackets are not in the same conversation. Euro honey bees being friendly pollinators, yellow jackets being Satan's pissed off spawn.

True. I can and have handled poisonous snakes but in my old age I have a lot less desire to do it again. I would rater leave them alone or remove their heads.

I have killed ground bees, yellow jackets and such with the soap and water many times as well as bagged the big paper wasp nest in a trash bag then soaking it down with soapy water. It works great and does not pollute.

I willingly admit that there are a couple of aspects to the soap and water I like. First, the reason it works is the soap breaks down the surface tension of the water allowing the rotten little bastards drown and suffer a little. wink

Secondly I was in the environmental business and worked hard cleaning up ground water that was contaminated with just what some have recommended.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It aint revenge unless you light the gas. Listen to the voices in your head. Light it

Napalm the fugkers

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Find the hole. Take a 16oz pop or water bottle and put at least 4oz of gas, kerosene, or diesel fuel in it (diesel works best and kerosene is better than gas). After dark slip up quietly and insert the mouth of the bottle in the hold and walk away.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This is the last time I'm going to help you guys out w/these wasps/bee problems. Get some seven dust in a solo drinking cup half to three quarters full and sprinkle on the two foot diameter spot. They'll be dead and gone the next day. Period. powdr

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The only way to get rid of yellow jackets is after you find the hole ( at night), watch where the buggers are going in and out, sometimes there are 2 holes. At night take 1 or 2 RR flares and light 'em up and shove 'em inna hole(s). Cover the holes up with couplea shovels of dirt. The fumes and heat will get them all.
Gas, soapy water and crystal meth are all stoopid solutions.
I search for these nests.
Cisco

twofish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Update: Bastards were not all dead. It appears that I got most of them last night but there were obviously workers still out of the nest.

Stood back this morning with a can of wasp spray and sniped the remainder as they hovered the entrance area trying to figure out what had happened.

Will check back on it this PM and rinse and repeat as required.

Twofish

Last edited by twofish; 08/03/14.

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go to Home Depot or Wal-Mart and buy a
can of black spray paint. Any kind, the cheaper the better

Spray 1/3 to 1/2 can on each hole and the surrounding turf,
fairly well. Once the wasps realize they live in a black neighborhood, they quit
working and start killing each other

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's fun to stand by the entrance with a BB gun too & snipe them.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,968
Posts18,519,591
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.