Home
I do believe I'm watching it right now...

Purple Rain is on VH1.

Truly epic and uberly awful.
Try " Ishtar" on for size....
Posted By: add Re: Worst movie in cinema history? - 02/01/15
Apparently the follow-up eclipsed it and Plan 9 From Outer-space.
laugh

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by add
laugh

[Linked Image]

Yup...the set actually shakes at points in the movie
Valhalla Rising on Netflix.
Police Academy.
Watched "Fury" the other night......one word.....terrible.
They Shoot Horses Don't they?
urban cowboy
Lonesome Dove - boring as hell.
Originally Posted by teal

You can't be serious.

how bout the two [bleep] in MT back when ?
Wired, came out in 1989. The story of John Belushi. Only movie I ever walked out of part way thru.
Napoleon Dynamite. Tried twice, can't get passed 15 minutes
Plan 9 From Outer Space is the all time worst.

Beyond The Valley of The Dolls is a close second.
This is a real stinker!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blood_Island

( notice budget and box office totals!)
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

You can't be serious.

Absolutely serious. I LOVE westerns but that's one I just can't like.
You have been very very sheltered... crazy

grin
John Wayne's "Genghis Kahn"
Originally Posted by luv2safari
You have been very very sheltered... crazy

grin

Doubt it - put it this way, I once showed Steelhead a flick that made him gag.

I just can't get into that movie. Boring, slow, and it does nothing for me.

I'd rather watch John Wayne as Ghengis Khan than Lonesome Dove.
John and Mary
I watched Casablanca for the first time about a month ago...

My god was that a lousy movie. Nothing happens...ever!

Can't say it's the worst, but it's plenty bad.
And I'm a Bogart fan.
Posted By: byc Re: Worst movie in cinema history? - 02/01/15
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Purple Rain is on VH1.

You may have nailed the worst!

Napoleon Dynamite OTOH rocked!

The idea of NOT liking Lonesome Dove, wow, I don't know what to think. laugh
Rocky Horror picture show.
I haven't seen anything to eclipse "The Terror of Tiny Town" (1938).

Storyline

An evil gunslinging midget comes to terrorize the good little people of Tiny Town. The townspeople organize to defeat him, and zany antics ensue.

Add really, REALLY bad production values. Absolutely hilarious if you've got a jug of cheap vodka. laugh
"Punch Drunk Love" with Adam Sandler.
Absolutely no sense to be made of this one.
According to the Movie Critic Emmit, the unblinking eye the worst move ever is Glitter.
Where the wild things are
The recently released "The Interview". Had it been released without all the hype it would have fallen flat on it it's face.
"Eyes wide shut" with Tom Cruise and his (then) wife Nicole Kidman.
Orca
Top Gun.
I still can't get past the "Attack Of the Killer Tomatoes."

That has won several awards as the worst movie ever !

It's actually fun to watch if you are aware that it is horrible and use it as a reason to get blitzed.
Brokeback Mountain...didn't see it and never will.

Dan
The Lone Ranger was a pretty bad one. (The one with johnny depp).
Originally Posted by Wacenturion

Have to disagree with you on this one. recently saw it and thought it was an awesome movie. Of course I am biased as I have spent the past 18 years in Armor units and have followed tanks into battle.
I liked it,a little long.
Mystery Men, only movie I've got up and walked out on.
ghostinthemachine: You dislike Casablanca?
Rated the number one movie ever made?

Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, and a great supporting cast.
Rated best screenplay ever?

You must be joking.
If you want to see the worst move ever made, dig up "Black Devil Doll From Hell."
It is about an innocent young black woman who buys a big puppet at a flea market, the puppet comes to life and starts talking to her, and, to be polite, the puppet becomes her "romantic interest."

Guaranteed, the worst move you ever saw.

[Linked Image]

And, here it is!
You can pick this jewel up on Amazon for just $19.95.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Devil-Tales-Quadead-Boxset/dp/B00FJFJ5YS

I wish just one of y'all would buy it. You will watch it to the very end, it is so bad, and so bizarre, you can't take your eyes off of it.
Like watching a train wreck. Click on that link and read the reviews.
Originally Posted by The_Yetti

Have to disagree with you on this one. recently saw it and thought it was an awesome movie. Of course I am biased as I have spent the past 18 years in Armor units and have followed tanks into battle.

while not an outstanding movie i thought it was decent.....far from terrible....
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
ghostinthemachine: You dislike Casablanca?
Rated the number one movie ever made?

Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, and a great supporting cast.
Rated best screenplay ever?

You must be joking.

Yeah I hated it. Like I said, it was excruciatingly slow and nothing ever really happens.

It gets my vote as the most over-hyped movie ever.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

You can't be serious.

Blasphemy!
Yellow Submarine
Any and every John Wayne movie... smile

There's bad movies that are unwatchable and then there are movies so bad they're actually hilarious! Think MST3000...my buddy and I have laughed our asses off many a time watching those gems!

For me, no genre falls on its face more often than horror. It's very rare that I find a horror movie that I don't think is crap...

No one here has seen "The Crying Game" or it would be the only one listed..

Just about every horror movie is crap, with a few exceptions.

I shamefully admit I loved Freddy Kruger and the original Nightmare on Elm St.....
out of Africa, hands down
Originally Posted by Moby1

It's actually fun to watch if you are aware that it is horrible and use it as a reason to get blitzed.

The Toxic Avenger will puke green slime in your lunch box! mad

Troma Team made great spoofs; Killer Tomatoes and Return of the Killer Tomatoes rank way up the scale of cult films. crazy
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

I shamefully admit I loved Freddy Kruger and the original Nightmare on Elm St.....

Halloween is still the best and only horror movie I liked. Just the sound of the music is creepy and gets you going.

Listen to the end:

Originally Posted by shrapnel

"Never judge a book by its cover or who your gonna love by your lover
sayin' love put me wise to her love in disguise
She had the body of a Venus, Lord, imagine my surprise!"....
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Any and every John Wayne movie... smile

dammit i like Hatari grin
Yes, the 1st Halloween was good.....

Halloween is still the best and only horror movie I liked. Just the sound of the music is creepy and gets you going.

Listen to the end:

Carpenter rocks!

The Thing is one of my all time faves and even The Fog wasn't too bad. Jaws was another spooky one...

And Poltergeist scared the crap outta me as a kid...that damn clown and tree! eek
Dog Soldiers
Two of the worst (that I can remember enduring) were: Rush, a 1991 movie about a couple of drug addicted undercover cops, and The Darjeeling Limited which was a slow-moving, pointless movie that I only watched because my wife and I have enjoyed most Owen Wilson movies.
Yes, eyeball! Yellow Submarine! The Beatles were so hot in those days, that anything that they produced made millions, even if it was garbage like this film.
The song itself is just gibberish.

Paul and John could have written the same melody, with the lyrics "We all live in a Purple Garbage Truck..." and it would have been just as much of a smash hit, and that movie would also have made millions. Garbage.
Only 2 movies ever scared me when I was younger.

The Exorcist, and Salem's Lot.

The Exorcist is still the most fuuuked up movie ever. And really only 1 scene of Salem's Lot scared me, but it scared the $hit out of me. I must have been around 11-12......
Amityville horror scared the crap out of me when i saw it in highschool but when I see it now I view it as a comedy. grin
Originally Posted by shrapnel

That would probably be the second worst movie behind Yentl. I am embarrassed to admit I even let my wife talk me into going to see it.
I nominate Gigli. Old lady made me go see it. God it was bad.

But J-Lo was hot.

Check out where it ranks on a list of $hit movies:

http://www.ranker.com/list/jennifer-lopez-movies-and-films-and-filmography/reference

Dead last!

Yep the little lady sure can pick 'em.....

Listen to the end:

When our kids were still young our son used to love freaking out his next older sister by sneaking up outside her closed bedroom door after she had gone to bed for the night and playing that Halloween theme on his little battery powered Radio Shack keyboard.

Purple Rain is on VH1.

BTW WTF are you watching Purple Rain?

is is it because you like Morris Day and the Time....and Jerome?
Thankskilling is as bad as it gets. It's about a resurrected killer turkey that drinks beer.
Originally Posted by byc

Purple Rain is on VH1.

BTW WTF are you watching Purple Rain?

is is it because you like Morris Day and the Time....and Jerome?

I came across it ch surfing and the sheer horrificness of the acting and storyline drew me in.
Cabin Boy is the worst movie I've ever seen in theater, will be hard to ever top it.
Cabin boy gets my vote.
I remember Diary of a Mad House Wife about 1969 or 1970. Carrie Snodgrass. Poor girl was as homely as a mud fence at dawn.
Anything Rambo.

kwg

Many consider it the very best of all time.

Remember, like many others of that era, it was originally a stage play. In many cases, the stage limits action.

You probably might not like Time of Your Life, Harvey, The Caine Mutiny, Bell, Book and Candle, The Front Page or Arsenic and Old Lace.

I like them all.
By the way, Anjin-San, I loved your work in Shogun.
No idea, don't pay theater prices unless I know for a fact it going to be excellent, and 50% plus rented are not finished.
Fact is, a very high percentage don't make 15 minutes, and that's the ones you think might be OK.

Script so-so, cinematography pretty good, directing and acting stellar.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space on tonight but unfortunately not until 2 AM. Another good one to watch with a jug of cheap vodka, love to do the Mystery Science Theater 3000 thing. Some of Vincent Price's old dogs on now, not the worst but plenty campy.
The Happening was so bad, I walked out about two thirds of the way through the movie.
Worst movie I ever saw in its entirety has to be Caddyshack II.
A) 50% of movies are about action and plot. These are called guy movies.
B) 50% of movies are about relationships and emotions. These are called chick flicks.

A) 50% of movies the moral is do your duty.
B) 50% of movies the moral is give into your emotions.

Be a man and stop watching B movies.
Myra Breckenridge
Boyhood
Anything with Woody Allen in it.
Mars Attacks was pretty bad as well.
Little Shop of Horrors is an absolutely miserable movie.
Originally Posted by pira114

Absolutely the worst movie ever. My kids tried to get me to watch it, and I about up chucked..... sick

maddog
Sideways.

Natural Born Killers, disgusting
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Agreed. Also can't wrap my head around A Clockwork Orange
Then watch Eraserhead !
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

This^^^!!! Or directed by him!

And he's a putz!

As far as lousy movies go there's just too many to pick only one as the worst. Cable and satellite TV is loaded with them. Off the top of my head any movie I've ever seen with Lorenzo Lamas as the lead or one primary actors in have been serious duds.

The single most disgustingly horrifying movie for me is the original, Last House on The Left.
Amityville Horror http://www.rottentomatoes.com/mobile/m/amityville_horror/

The Gauntlet http://www.rottentomatoes.com/mobile/m/gauntlet/
Casablanca, Lonesome Dove , are two of the best movies ever made , love them. Fury was a great movie , but Saving Private Ryan was a better one. The worst move ever made would just about have to be this one.
Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women
8th grade buddies dad took us to a movie named Tess. So boring we fell asleep with our legs over the seats in front of us (the theater was empty, odd huh?). Couldn't walk when we woke up.
Catch 22 is worse than all other Woody Allen movies.

The Deer Hunter was boring! So boring that I walked out of the Cineplex and watched the movie next door for a half hour. Didn't miss anything.

Jurassic Park II. After the dinosaur eats up one of the scientists, the others are rescoed by some hunters. The scientists are so anti-hunting that they quietly remove the cartridges from the hunters' double rifles. The dinosaur attacks and---guess what? I just hate movies that rely on the characters being absolutely stupid. Later a young black girl beats up the velociraptors with judo.

I humbly submit the following:

That's so bad that it makes great humor. Did anyone actually pay to see it?
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

Battleship was stupid. A Battleship that is a museum piece that as fuel and ammo aboard, then it's dead cold boilers can be brought up to pressure quickly. I don't think so. Some things I just can't see past no matter how good the special effects.

Originally Posted by Armednfree
Battleship was stupid. A Battleship that is a museum piece that as fuel and ammo aboard, then it's dead cold boilers can be brought up to pressure quickly. I don't think so. Some things I just can't see past no matter how good the special effects.

now you know that ship would work just like in the movies
Originally Posted by ingwe
Try " Ishtar" on for size....

Yep got up and walked out of the theater on that one.
Originally Posted by Anjin

Remember, like many others of that era, it was originally a stage play. In many cases, the stage limits action.

You probably might not like Time of Your Life, Harvey, The Caine Mutiny, Bell, Book and Candle, The Front Page or Arsenic and Old Lace.

I like them all.

You have excellent taste in movies!
Brewster McCloud. I watched it as a youth and I couldn't finish it. It even had nudity for a young teen mind and I still couldn't watch it.
Blair Witch Project was probably the worst movie I actually sat and watched the whole thing.
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Blair Witch Project was probably the worst movie I actually sat and watched the whole thing.

That IS a good candidate, for sure.

i dont know, my buddies and i were tanked one night and decided to go see it and thought it was a great comedy which pissed off some of our classmates that happened to decide to go to the same show and sit behind us....get chitfaced and watch it, it becomes real entertaining laugh

there is a difference this was supposed to be a spoof on all the old cold war era bad horror movies.....it wasnt supposed to be the greatest movie.....its one that you laugh at cause how bad it and those old horrors were
Originally Posted by smarquez
The recently released "The Interview". Had it been released without all the hype it would have fallen flat on it it's face.

North Korea has a lot to answer for, but now they've made it my patriotic duty to see a Seth Rogen movie.

Unforgivable.
Most Tim Allen movies (with the notable exception of Galaxy Quest).

My then 8 year old daughter begged me to see Jungle 2 Jungle.

Halfway through she begged me to take her home.

I was so proud.
Now that he's done flappin his jaws.....any Liam Neesan movie
Night of the Lepus deserves some consideration. Check out this clip. grin

Originally Posted by natman
Originally Posted by smarquez

North Korea has a lot to answer for, but now they've made it my patriotic duty to see a Seth Rogen movie.

Unforgivable.

Yeah, I saw that it was on Netflix and had to watch it. I would not have watched it otherwise, at least not until well past the DVD release date anyway. It was pretty funny actually. The beginning is kinda slow except the Eminem scene, but once they get to Korea the Kim Jong Un stuff was pretty hilarious I thought. They rip on hip extensively which is total blasphemy to them. Stupid movie but it was worth the price of admission. James Franco is funny.

Seth Rogen bugs me, and I say I think he's stupid, but almost every time I see him in a movie I think he does some funny sh*t. This Is The End was pretty great although it was James Franco and Danny McBride made that movie awesome.
Giant rabbits ain't got nothin' on an amphibian apocalypse:

Originally Posted by rattler

there is a difference this was supposed to be a spoof on all the old cold war era bad horror movies.....it wasnt supposed to be the greatest movie.....its one that you laugh at cause how bad it and those old horrors were

Mars Attacks is freaking great. Funny stuff. If you liked Mars Attacks, you may dig:
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
Kung Pow, Enter the Fist

Agreed. One of only movies I ever walked out of.....
Any of the twilight movies, and my kids have made me watch dolphin's tale a few times, thought about takin a bath with my toaster instead.

Mm
Mr.Obama goes to Washington..Staring Barak Obama,and Joe Biden.
I retract my last two, forgot about "winter's tale" with Russell crow, went to watch it on a date with my wife last year and walked out. someone's agent got fired over that epic bad decision.
As was said earlier, there are so many bad movies that have been made in the past 100 years it's hard to pick just one. But one that ranks right near the top for me would be The Return Of Red River Johnny, made around 1955 or 1956.

I saw it one Saturday afternoon in a theater in the small town in which I grew up. It was so bad that after it was over, I went to the home of my good friend who also was a movie buff and told him, "You gotta see this flick, The Return Of Red River Johnny. It's so terrible it's hilarious."

He and I went to see it and he agreed with me. If it ain't Number One Bad, it is mighty close to it. grin

L.W.
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Originally Posted by rattler

Mars Attacks is freaking great. Funny stuff. If you liked Mars Attacks, you may dig:
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

I agree. Mars Attacks makes me laugh because it reminds me of working at Blue. Bunch of suits walking around just going ack... ack,ack....ack, ack, ack....ack

Besides, how can you not like a movie that ends with Tom Jones singing?

Purple Rain is on VH1.

purple rain is pretty bad, but I have too many fond memories of what I was doing while watching it back in Jr high to cast it aside as junk.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

Actually watched it to the end once. I may be the only one. The music was at least interesting. I dare you... go watch that one! You'll be crying for apalonia.
Oh, and while i think Prince is a DB, he can play and is talented in his way. Os there's that.
My sister dragged me to one of his concerts and it was one heck of a show. The guy is talented for sure.
Originally Posted by Moby1

Yes!
+Schlock Monster
Mirror has 2 faces. wife made me watch it with her....borrring.....
Other than Blair Witch, I think Invasion of the Body Snatchers was other movie we walked out of. It was Stupid +P.....
Anybody seen Human Centipede 2??

It's at least the most disgusting film I've ever seen, I don't know about the worst. McConaughey has made some really sh*tty chick flick movies...
Posted By: add Re: Worst movie in cinema history? - 02/01/15
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Originally Posted by add
laugh

[Linked Image]

Yup...the set actually shakes at points in the movie

lol, Dafuk?
Other than Blair Witch, I think Invasion of the Body Snatchers was other movie we walked out of. It was Stupid +P.....

Really? I enjoyed both the 50s original and the 70s remake with Donald Sutherland. Spooky schit IMO.

Did they do a later remake?
"Today the pond, tomorrow.....THE WORLD!!"

There was also this one.."Attack of the Mushroom People" I think.

Unwatchable....
Wait, wait. I got it. The Vanilla Ice movie. This clip is pure brown gold:

Beat that suckas!
Yep, it was definitely later. Not sure what year. Llate 80s or early 90s maybe....
Okay check that. Wrong movie shocked blush

Dammit. I can't remember name of movie now, but it was something similar....
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Wait, wait. I got it. The Vanilla Ice movie. This clip is pure brown gold:

Beat that suckas!

I think we have a winner here!
I will throw in anothet...Zoolander. Only movie i have ever left and I was at a drive in with a very attractive blond!
THE worst?
That's like picking the blackest guy in Africa.

Some real doozy's listed. Eyes Wide Shut at least had some good lookin' meek is girls, but still near the bottom of my list.

No Country For Old Men was another stinker.

Lots of campy chit could make the list, but that's kinda the point. No?
Navajo Joe with Burt Reynolds is pretty hard to watch...

Although it's worth it cause Quentin Tarantino stole a BUNCH of music from that movie to put in Kill Bill.!
there are some real cannidates mentioned, the worst I have ever seen was Dogs from Space.
Watched Grand Budapest last night my gal thought it was the worst I thought it was great,her getting up to do something every 5 minutes didn't help her cause
There was a series of midget westerns produced in the early 60's I think, that were awful but hilarious back then; almost all were
titled Tiny something or other.
Pssshhh. You guys are crazy. Zoolander and No Country for Old Men are both awesome.
This WTF movie had me walking out shakin' my head in the early 70's

"A Clockwork Orange"

It's even way worse than these clips...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPwqHoY9hUI
Another one, Jacob's Ladder...

WTF was this about.?

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Books was funny, movie unwatchable.
Who the heck wouldn't love no country for old men, one of the best closing scenes ever in any movie
There is a Mexican movie with sub titles, "Like Water for Chocolate" with a woman who has constant gas, so must make love through a embroidered hole in the sheets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Like_Water_for_Chocolate_%28film%29
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Another one, Jacob's Ladder...

WTF was this about.?

It was about a soldier who is dying, while Dr's are doing CPR and trying to save him. While he is dying, he is having delusions about being back home. In his delusions, his dead son finally comes to him to take him up the stairs....to heaven. And the soldier dies. Dr's exclaim something in the end, to say that he really struggled in his last moments.
Come to find out, the soldiers in his platoon were part of an experiment, unbeknownst to them. They had been given doses of some drug, a hallucinogen, to make them better fighters or something. This soldier was attacked by one of his fellow soldiers. He and the platoon didn't survive, because they attacked and killed each other. That's all I remember about the film.
dodgefan: A Home Run! Blair Witch Project is an abyssamally bad movie. I did walk out on it.

And, this movie got great reviews. What a bizarre, incoherent, and stupid movie.

Guy that made it made 20 Million bucks. Go figure. What a piece of trash.
Huntinaz, I may have to rethink my list. Never saw that Vanilla Ice film but in that short clip, it does look like the wors ever.

A Wigger
Saturday Night Fever.
Loving some of these. Dolomite rocks! Pinnacle of blacksploitation awesomeness.

Cabin Boy- great call out.

Famous awful one - "Manos, the hand of fate" is legendary.

My personal cryptonite was "The Game". Sean Pen + Michael Doulgas = real stupid.

For a great minute of film badness check out the worst death scene ever.
Bad filming, bad music, and not just a few inconsistencies. Try to count them all.

Enjoy.

I liked Jacob's Ladder when it came out.

Not sure if I ever have watched it since to actually confirm/deny how good/bad it really is. Those were kinda my "partying" days...... grin
Originally Posted by viking
Valhalla Rising on Netflix.
I believe I found it on showtime. Truly awful!
Originally Posted by BGunn
This WTF movie had me walking out shakin' my head in the early 70's

"A Clockwork Orange"

It's even way worse than these clips...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPwqHoY9hUI
That was a classic great movie
Valhalla Rising
Rocky Horror...absolute worst movie I've ever seen. How much drugs did it take for that to become a cult classic.

Depending on where and when you grew up, it's awesome. It pretty much nails small town life in the desert NW.
I've waded through this thread, and I think a bunch of y'all are missing something: the worst movies are not the ones you think are horribly bad, but the ones you forget. You sit through 2 hours of mindless goo and walk away so unimpressed that the next day you can't remember them.

I used to be a budding young film dude. I even sold a feature film script 35 years ago, back before I discovered even being successful didn't mean you'd make any money at it. There was a decade or so where a bunch of us would screen films on a regular basis that make any of your choices for worst pale.

Sometimes I'd host a party when I could get hold of stuff, other times it would be at somebody else's place. We'd deliberately watch this stuff, picking it apart for why the @$#@# somebody would do such dreck. This was back before VHS, so it took being jacked in and being able to get hold of a 16 mm print and a projector.

Plan 9? Dang! You should see Glen or Glenda if you want bad. The Ed Wood catalog is filled with gems like this from the bottom of the barrel, but there really are worse out there.

Ishtar? Bad, pointless, but good production values. It had a really stupid plot, that's all.

Casablanca? All I can say is that I KNEW I was getting lucky if that was showing at the local art house, and I could feed her a good meal afterwards. Like it or not, anyone who says this movie is the worst has never gone real far out in the shallow end of cinema. Heck there are a bunch of Warner Bros. flicks that used the same actors in basically the same roles that were supposed to be knock-offs of Casablanca. Those MUST be worse

As I said, the worst are the ones you can't remember. However, there is one that stands out in my mind. Snow White and the Three Stooges. It is memorably forgettable for two reasons:

1) It is done on ice
2) It has Curly Joe
3) You hardly see the 3 Stooges

[Linked Image]

BTW: Here's the Wikipedia entry:
List of films considered the worst

Everything up until 1985 you can bet I saw. A good number of them I forget.

What isn't listed is what's called "Four-Wallers". These were films where the distributor would go into a theatre and buy the right to show the film for a period of a period of time. He did his own marketing. The theatre owner was just renting the space. If you're really looking for bad, I'd go looking in the real of Four Wallers. The worst one I ever saw from that genre was a Sasquatch documentary that wholly revolved around the Patterson-Gimlin footage-- a minute's total. The rest was goo.

You guys are of an age where you got to remember Four-Wallers, don't you? The ones with all the hype with all the really bad posters that would haunt your small town theater for a month, keeping all the good flicks away? The last time I saw one ( I don't remember what it was) was at the theater in downtown Lebanon, Ohio. Shortly after that the theater closed for good.

Okay, sorry if already nominated but Dracula 3000 is so incredibly bad it goes right up to the concept of "so bad it's good", hate rapes that concept from hell to breakfast, then rockets straight off to being too awful to describe. It's even got actors that, while hardly A Listers, are established performers. The ending is so WTF? you'll swear they just figured out the movie couldn't be saved and just quit.

I strongly encourage everyone to go to IMDB and read the people's reviews. It's hilarious. Here's just a taste:

"This is, by far, the single biggest waste of hours you could otherwise spend contemplating the importance of dish towels and their effect on your life. I would far rather be trapped in a bathroom for weeks with nothing to consume but my own urine and excrement than watch even a single clip of this movie again."
Posted By: add Re: Worst movie in cinema history? - 02/02/15
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

Depending on where and when you grew up, it's awesome. It pretty much nails small town life in the desert NW.

Yip, and some pretty memorable characters.
Originally Posted by shaman
I've waded through this thread, and I think a bunch of y'all are missing something: the worst movies are not the ones you think are horribly bad, but the ones you forget. You sit through 2 hours of mindless goo and walk away so unimpressed that the next day you can't remember them.

I used to be a budding young film dude. I even sold a feature film script 35 years ago, back before I discovered even being successful didn't mean you'd make any money at it. There was a decade or so where a bunch of us would screen films on a regular basis that make any of your choices for worst pale.

Sometimes I'd host a party when I could get hold of stuff, other times it would be at somebody else's place. We'd deliberately watch this stuff, picking it apart for why the @$#@# somebody would do such dreck. This was back before VHS, so it took being jacked in and being able to get hold of a 16 mm print and a projector.

Plan 9? Dang! You should see Glen or Glenda if you want bad. The Ed Wood catalog is filled with gems like this from the bottom of the barrel, but there really are worse out there.

Ishtar? Bad, pointless, but good production values. It had a really stupid plot, that's all.

Casablanca? All I can say is that I KNEW I was getting lucky if that was showing at the local art house, and I could feed her a good meal afterwards. Like it or not, anyone who says this movie is the worst has never gone real far out in the shallow end of cinema. Heck there are a bunch of Warner Bros. flicks that used the same actors in basically the same roles that were supposed to be knock-offs of Casablanca. Those MUST be worse

As I said, the worst are the ones you can't remember. However, there is one that stands out in my mind. Snow White and the Three Stooges. It is memorably forgettable for two reasons:

1) It is done on ice
2) It has Curly Joe
3) You hardly see the 3 Stooges

[Linked Image]

BTW: Here's the Wikipedia entry:
List of films considered the worst

Everything up until 1985 you can bet I saw. A good number of them I forget.

What isn't listed is what's called "Four-Wallers". These were films where the distributor would go into a theatre and buy the right to show the film for a period of a period of time. He did his own marketing. The theatre owner was just renting the space. If you're really looking for bad, I'd go looking in the real of Four Wallers. The worst one I ever saw from that genre was a Sasquatch documentary that wholly revolved around the Patterson-Gimlin footage-- a minute's total. The rest was goo.

You guys are of an age where you got to remember Four-Wallers, don't you? The ones with all the hype with all the really bad posters that would haunt your small town theater for a month, keeping all the good flicks away? The last time I saw one ( I don't remember what it was) was at the theater in downtown Lebanon, Ohio. Shortly after that the theater closed for good.

Those usually became the Saturday matinee 'filler' movies for pre-teens and 'make-out' flicks for teen-agers in the evening showings.
All the movies mentioned are Cinematic Genius! Kidding aside, The English Patient was a boat load of crap!
Yep couldn't get past the 10 min. mark.
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Orca
I was looking over that Wikipedia list I found.

One movie caught my eye, and it goes along with the so-bad-you-forget-it idea: Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.

Yikes.

It stars a very young Pia Zadora, arguably the worst actress ever. She's the only actress to win back-to-back Worst Actress awards in the Razzies. Here she is as child actor.

[Linked Image]

Really? I enjoyed both the 50s original and the 70s remake with Donald Sutherland. Spooky schit IMO.

Did they do a later remake?

Yes, with Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig. They changed the title to something else, though. It was much better than the 70s version which IMO was bad. That's probably the version the poster was talking about.
. . . oh, and before I forget: The Killer Shrews was always a favorite of mine, because I remember watching it on Saturday Afternoon when I was a kid. It ranks right up there with the worst of the worst, chiefly because the Killer Shrews are all dogs in cheesy shrew costumes. The original came out in 1959.
[Linked Image]

The only reason I mention this is that I was digging around and found out there was a 2012 sequel, Return of the Killer Shrews. This one has GOT to be near the bottom.

Okay check that. Wrong movie shocked blush

Dammit. I can't remember name of movie now, but it was something similar....

"The Invasion" 2007

I thought it was pretty good.
Originally Posted by gmsemel
All the movies mentioned are Cinematic Genius! Kidding aside, The English Patient was a boat load of crap!

But we got to see a young Kristen Scott Thomas topless and mostly naked. Made it all worthwhile.
Some of the public domain movies are pretty bad, hence why no one wants to take ownership anymore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_in_the_public_domain_in_the_United_States

May I present, Buffalo Rider laugh

It does that to everybody. You gotta stick with it though.

It's almost inexplicable, but after you watch that movie all the way through, you'll find yourself laughing about it two days later.

Travis

Halloween is still the best and only horror movie I liked.

That is a classic but my favorite horror movie of all time is the original Night of the Living Dead.

That movie is timeless. And awesome.

Travis
Posted By: RVB Re: Worst movie in cinema history? - 02/02/15
“Nunchuck skills… bowhunting skills… computer hacking skills… Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!”

Guess you never had a pair of moon boots...
worst motion picture I have ever seen was Two Girls One Cup.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
By the way, Anjin-San, I loved your work in Shogun.

Yes, the handle pays homage to James Clavell's Shogun and was adopted before I knew he was full of it. grin

Actually, it is not a Japanese word. He thought it meant pilot, navigator of a ship or guide and I assumed that he knew, so I took it on as a model for my law practice in Japan.

In fact, the proper word in Japanese is Annainin or "guide person."

That has always been a favorite of my wife and I...

Granted the movie was stupid, but we love it due to my son's reaction to it when he was little... we first saw it when he was about Kindergarten Age...he was freaking out because he thought it was all for real...if it comes up on the TV movies we watch it and still laugh about Seafire Jr's reaction to it the first time...

he can hear us laughing and walk into the room to see what is so funny, and when he sees it's that, he'll go " oh great! reliving me being terrified over a movie when I was a kid..."

he thought it was a documentary or something in his youth..first couple of times he saw it..
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Navajo Joe with Burt Reynolds is pretty hard to watch...

Although it's worth it cause Quentin Tarantino stole a BUNCH of music from that movie to put in Kill Bill.!

My son and I watched Navaho Joe one night together... we couldn't keep from laughing on how stupid that movie was...and especially that theme song, over and over...

one of those Euro Cowboy type movies...

Can't think of the name of it, but afterwards was another Euro Cowboy Crap movie with Yul Brenner in it... we had recently watched the original Magnificent Seven, and my son couldn't believe it was the same actor, due to how stupid the movie was...
I think it was a Spanish Made movie...

Yul Brenner is this 'hero' whose side arm is a mega short barreled lever action, with a super short stock.. that he keeps in this real hoakey holster on his hip.... thing has an unlimited magazine capacity, and he makes all of this hip shots, killing like 7 to 10 bad men in a row...

one of these shooting sprees, he shots one of the bad guys off of a fence next to a wagon, with a coffin in the back...guy gets shot, does a twist and somersault and then falls perfectly into the coffin, the next shot closes the lid, and he goes on killing the other 8 to 10 guys in the same fashion...

all the while with this hoakey Euro Cowboy theme song playing over and over in the background...

They are terrible if they weren't so damned funny by American Standards... evidently the European crowd loved them...
The recent biblical extravaganza: NOAH barf
Snakes on a plane

Do not watch this movie. Ever!

"I'm not Native American, but I played one in a movie once!"

Bob
The worst movie I ever seen that was supposed to be a quality film with a decent budget was "The Life Aquatic." It is so bad my wife and I laughed all the way through it, or at least I did because she went to bed. She says I am easily entertained. Those orange watch caps and blue uniforms they wore cracked me up. For all the great actors in the film it was terrible. I am suprised it hasn't become a cult classic where people yell stuff at the screen like "Rocky Horror Picture Show."
Taxi driver was heralded as masterpiece- yet except for Dineiro's brief scenes with Harvey Keitel and Peter Boyle it ain't much.
Originally Posted by Dantheman
Brokeback Mountain...didn't see it and never will.

Dan

Difficult to critique something you have never seen, but gets my vote as well.

Three Shermans, with commanders hanging out their hatches, charge lone Tiger never thinking to spread out to take advantage of the Tiger's poor turret traverse. Tiger charges for some reason instead of easily picking off the Shermans from it's advantageous position. Tiger's 88mm gets deflected at 10 meters by LOGS on the side of Sherman.

Several hundred men run head first into lone, mobilty killed tank that has ZERO infantry to back it up. Men unable to avoid 20 degree arc of bow gun and blazing rotation speed of the unpowered turret.

GREAT MOVIE
Originally Posted by Roundup
The recent biblical extravaganza: NOAH barf

Truly horrible.

Travis
Zardoz hands down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zardoz

Bowling for Columbine or anything else by the POS Michael Moore
I hate to think of all the hours I have wasted watching bad movies. A few that come to mind are:

Red Sonja
Raising Cain
Face/Off
A Walk in the Clouds
The Scarlett Letter (1990s version)
Gods and Generals
The Thin Red Line
The New World

I could go on.
RUBBER
^^ Instant classic it is so turrible
Rochy Horror. Good Lord, don't leave this dog out of the list.

In 1978 I was living in Atlanta, I was 27 years old. I always considered myself a "young" man, I listened to popular music and watched popular movies. But, I worked with a couple of 20 year old guys.

These guys were raving about Rocky Horror Picture Show. It played every Friday night at 8pm at the theatre down at Peachtree Battle.
One night, I went down there with my fiancee to see the film.

What a pile of Bu******!! An Engllish guy running around in leather bra and panties.
A scene in which it is raining, and all the kids in the audience squirt their squirt guns into the air. Get it? Like it is raining in the theatre. Ha Ha!

A scene in which champagne is drunk, and there is a toast. And all the kids in the audience pull toast from their coats, and throw the toast around the theatre, like frisbees.

WHAT A FUNNY JOKE!!! Toast, get it?

Good Lord what a pile of dog s***! I realized that I was on the wrong side of the generation gap. I didn't care if they declared me a geezer, I wasn't gonna watch Rocky Horror. Walked out after 45 minutes of that bulls***.
"The White Buffalo" with Charles Bronson as Wild Bill Hickok was truly terrible.
Originally Posted by mtcurman
"The White Buffalo" with Charles Bronson as Wild Bill Hickok was truly terrible.

I remember that one. We'd get drunk at the ranch when it would come on TV and watch it and laugh! Suprised we didn't shoot the tv out! That was the one withthe big fake mechanical white buff in it, right??? LOL! Didn't Slim Pickens have a classic line in there as the stage driver when some floosie on the stage got shot by Indians like , " got her right in the third eye!" Or something like that??

We'd all laugh our azzes off!! Stupid movie!!!
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by mtcurman

I remember that one. We'd get drunk at the ranch when it would come on TV and watch it and laugh! Suprised we didn't shoot the tv out! That was the one withthe big fake mechanical white buff in it, right??? LOL! Didn't Slim Pickens have a classic line in there as the stage driver when some floosie on the stage got shot by Indians like , " got her right in the third eye!" Or something like that??

We'd all laugh our azzes off!! Stupid movie!!!

That is the one. laugh
I checked out Private Benjamin from the library last night.

I doubt the kids will ever forgive me for making them watch it.

FC
"Joe vs the Volcano".

Absolutely horrible movie, but I went to see it twice. The girl I was dating did the same. Why? So we could make-out in the back the second time we saw it until we got kicked out and then "continue things" in the parking lot and still be able to answer questions about the movie to her parents.

wink
Damn. Odd you mention that. I went to a Drive-in in High School and we literally had to stop and buy a paper on the way home so we could tell her folks what movie we saw....
Thankfully, the drive-in (different lass, different time) showed re-runs of movies that had already come out.

I couldn't even begin to guess what movie it was that she and I "saw".
Originally Posted by Wyogal
There was a series of midget westerns produced in the early 60's I think, that were awful but hilarious back then; almost all were
titled Tiny something or other.

The Terror of Tiny Town

The world's only musical Western with an all-midget cast!

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: PVT Re: Worst movie in cinema history? - 02/08/15
"Billy Jack". Worst movie of all time. Saw it when it came out. Years later, I was telling the kids (13 and 18 ) how great it was. So, I went and rented it and we all sat down to watch it. I tried very hard to remember why I liked it. We couldn't make through thirty minutes. Just horrible.
More funny worst than just plain bad worst.

I wonder how much Bacon cringes when anyone brings up this gem...

I have a more current nomination, The Paperboy. How they got Nicole Kidman, Mathew McConaughey, and John Cusack all to be a part of this POS movie is beyond me. I like all three of them but this was the worst movie I have ever seen. A total waste of time and it left you feeling unclean and far worse than when you entered the theater.
Of the major flicks, I couldn't get into Avatar. Adam Sandler and Seth Rogen pics I don't like either.

Too many horrid low budget films to choose from.

I just watched "Pompeii" which, for me, is now the worst movie of 2015. However, the year is young.
Now I remember.. A buddy recommended this movie as a cruel joke:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0346491/

Alexander.. Terrible movie.
I'll admit to making some bad choices in movies, but the worst one I remember actually getting suckered into a theater to watch was Cold Mountain. I'm still pissed 12yrs later for sitting through that one.
Looking for Mr. Goodbar. Worst. Ever.
"Buried" 2 hours (seemed like 4) of someone buried in a box. The ending is antiwar, anti US propaganda. I literally broke the DVD in half, and sent it back to Netflix in pieces to spare the next poor baastard from having to endure watching it.
Long afternoon, wife is with her mother at the hospital over in Las Cruces and I am out of new reading material. Not much of a movie buff, but I finally read through this whole thread this afternoon after ignoring it from the start. I was gratified to learn that I have not seen but maybe five or six of the nominees, and I actually didn't think that any of them were so bad as to deserve a place on this thread. Oh, well, back to rereading "All the Pretty Horses"...
© 24hourcampfire