Home
looks like Country is dead, and pop music is where it's at.
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...or-pop-in-country-music.html?intcmp=hpff

of course, we old codgers have been saying that for years. smile
It's not the music has gone anywhere. It's the talent and song writing ability!!

Steve
to hell, in a hand-basket
There are a few still around, like this guy and Jamey Johnson.

Mike
Posted By: CCCC Re: Where has Country Music gone? - 06/10/16
The good music - in all genres - is still available. It's public taste that has diminished to low common denominators. Consumers with poor taste drive the large markets in music these days.
Originally Posted by Sbrown
It's not the music has gone anywhere. It's the talent and song writing ability!!

Steve

I don't think it's that so much as it's the producers and the radio stations that claim to be 'country'.

And Sam, you probably remember this station: 98.1 WBRF[Galax] they play zero of the country/pop and have remained old tyme country and bluegrass.
It's following the trends of society. The good ol boys are gone and they ain't coming back.
For years I have found nothing but mangled metaphors in what is allegedly country music... take away cliche and rap influences and most stages would be silent.
Originally Posted by Raeford

Steve

I don't think it's that so much as it's the producers and the radio stations that claim to be 'country'.

And Sam, you probably remember this station: 98.1 WBRF[Galax] they play zero of the country/pop and have remained old tyme country and bluegrass.

Tuned in to 98.1...great!

Any suggestions for old time mountain music?
Thanks
Originally Posted by CCCC
The good music - in all genres - is still available. It's public taste that has diminished to low common denominators. Consumers with poor taste drive the large markets in music these days.
Agree 100%. The audience has been dumbed down to the point where a 15 year old can be marketed as "the best singer in the USA" That's embarrassing. The good people are out there making money at what sells. Very often, they are capable of far better stuff. People have gotten very superficial
[video:youtube]ubKUP8c0FHE[/video]

[video:youtube]7UVVS5-9HvA[/video]

[video:youtube]5AqSKP2Zkak[/video]

[video:youtube]k6JpVmZb4bI[/video]
Sirius XM.

Willie's Roadhouse.

Prime Country for backup.
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Mike
He's not bad, but he will never be the Possum.
Raeford, yes indeed, I know 98.1 in galax. smile

What it looks like to me, is that the audience for Country has changed. Music has changed, people have changed. We old fellows like our Country Music a certain way. I guess the only constant in the world, is change.
Like everything, it's followed the money.
Country music has gone just about where one would expec, when most of the performers and listeners are not rural country people.
It is akin to the phenomenon of city folks moving to the country because it's cool and beautiful. They immediately begin making g it like the place they came from, ruining it. People started listening to country because it was considered cool. Then they changed it to a variation of what they had listened to before. They have money, so they call the shots about who succeeds and who fails. Great.
Other than a very small # of artist (most of them never get heard on the radio), Country Music has been dead since the early 90s.
The record producers and radio stations are the guilty parties, but they've had plenty of help from the younger market.
I can't even stand to listen to the Country stations around here. Not to mention quite a few stores and restaurants play it too. If I'm exposed to that crap for a while, and turn on Waylon or Cash or Miss Patsy Cline, it just feels as if I'd been rolled in pig crap and then given a bath!!!
Country Music, much like the United States, has morphed into something that's no longer recognizable to those of us who grew up in it. Oh, they still celebrate the CMA awards and such, just like our government celebrates Independence Day. But it's no longer the thing it was meant to be. And the younger generation ain't got a clue what they're missing.
7mm
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Nothing new. Country "music" has always sucked in my book.
Old style=country

New style=[bleep]

Bunch of gay azz wussy momma boys in cowboy hats,,, if it weren't for teenaged girls new [bleep] would die as it should... I call it chocolate covered dog $hit. OOOOOOOO, it looks good but when you bite into it, it's dog $hit!

It's $hitty music listened to by idiots, just like rap. And if you don't agree GFY.

I was wondering the exact same thing driving home from work today.

How does that no-talent hack Blake Shelton get to judge this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DBAu963q0U

And check out this girl. We'll never hear her on the radio:

Younger folks are still dabbling in it, hopefully some can make it big and turn things around

Radio country is junk.

Red dirt on My iTunes

Randy Rogers band is on a lot.

As read this and lament the sad state of country music, all I can think about is Who's gonna fill their shoes? By the one who did it right-George Jones. Keith Urban just turns my stomach.
I've always kind of like Montgomery Gentry though.
The Ranch - Ft.Worth - will play anything from Hank Sr. - Red Dirt - ZZTOP. No top40 b.s.
Originally Posted by poboy
The Ranch - Ft.Worth - will play anything from Hank Sr. - Red Dirt - ZZTOP. No top40 b.s.

Um.... ZZ Top had a few top 40 hits.
He means no CURRENT Top 40...

Like all the "country" stations parrot over and over day in and day out.
Posted By: Teal Re: Where has Country Music gone? - 06/10/16
Much like reloading supplies - country music is available if you LOOK for it. Don't be spoon fed.

Chris Stapleton

[video:youtube]zhnMSVb0oYA[/video]

Sturgil Simpson

[video:youtube]mDMI_ySFkhQ[/video]

Whitey Morgan and the 78's

[video:youtube]ZHhZO21SGI4[/video]

Originally Posted by Raeford
There are a few still around, like this guy and Jamey Johnson.

Damn!
If a guy wasn't depressed already, a couple of drinks in CW bar, and a few songs like that, he would be.
Pop culture.

People crave pulp. They only want the spectacle.

It isn't just music, it is in every facet of our lives. Hell, look at the current political circus.
in the chitter with the rest of the country.
teal,
Thanks for mentioning Sturgill Simpson. A throw back to be sure. Friggin' awesome.
I try like heck to play my Telecaster like his lead player, but there's just so much a guy can do. That guy is a heck of a player.
My son told me about Spotify.com last weekend. I've been wearing out the Marty Robbins tunes and some others this week.
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Mike

Love this guy. Can't wait for his new album. Even if he rocks a little his voice is still old school country.
Check out Margo Price too. A little modern sounding but some old school lyrics and voice.
https://www.google.com/#q=4+years+of+chances+margo+price

Steve

The talent and songwriting is still there, it's pop country radio that's killing it. It's not about what's good it's about what sells.
Posted By: Teal Re: Where has Country Music gone? - 06/11/16
Originally Posted by rifletom
teal,
Thanks for mentioning Sturgill Simpson. A throw back to be sure. Friggin' awesome.
I try like heck to play my Telecaster like his lead player, but there's just so much a guy can do. That guy is a heck of a player.

When he did some songs from the brewery - his tele player looks like Northern Dave.

[video:youtube]tNV16tz1NK0[/video]

Cody Jinks should be mentioned probably

[video:youtube]LtZTjz40hoA[/video]
There is still a lot of "traditional" country music being made out there. Much of it by younger generations that are true to carrying on the roots of country music. But you will rarely ever (or never) hear them being given air time on any of the cookie cutter, commercial high volume demographic so called "country" stations. It just ain't gonna happen.

With todays technology the "good stuff" is out there and more available than it has ever been in history imo.
Other than a very few select radio stations, Youtube is one of the best places to find it.

... and it helps to $upport your favorite Independent record labels...
Some of it comes from Canada:

Here is a clip that relates to this very topic. It's the inside story on the "Murder on music Row" song. It's 12 minutes long but it's a good watch.
If you don't know who Larry Cordle is, I guarantee you know some of the songs he's written that have been covered by Major Artists. The whole video is worth the watch imo but Larry plays the song at the 3:00 mark.

Get on Youtube and type him in and listen to some of his stuff. He's is absolutely one of the best song writers/performers I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

The days of Johnnie, and Vern, and Waylon and George are long, long gone, sadly.

I love to listen to them all on Country Classics on Sirius radio when driving the big rig.

But when I have the misfortune of catching a modern "country" tune I change the station quick. It is just reprocessed pop crap. Some of the modern "country" even sounds like rap.
Country music today is in the septic tank.
[video:youtube]http://www.youtube-mp3.org[/video]
Lord forbid anything change in some folks lives.

We'd still be walking and looking for fire and the wheel too if things didn't change.

And by the end of November we'll be finished of and communist. So not all change is good.

Alabama killed country music.
Originally Posted by RickyD
Like everything, it's followed the money.

Spot on.

Back in the day country was radio driven. The country artists didn't sell nearly as many records as other genres. It was gear to adults. In the 90's that began to change along with who the label's target audience were-younger demografics. Todays country market is much younger. That's who buys the music. And to market to that audience the music, lyrics, and subject matter changed, for the worst. Country has always borrowed other influences, such as Pop ( Kenny Roger, Dolly Parton). As other genres have borrow from country ( The Birds, Eagles). But today it is mostly has a Pop, Rock, even a Rap bent. The music is what "the kids" buy and listen to. I can recall when the urban cowboy thing came along. And was talking to a female co-worker about country music. She said she like it. I asked her,"do you like Merle Haggard"? She said," he's too country for me". Too country doesn't sell. Country market isn't an adult market, it's a teen market. The adult themes have vanished and been replaced by a high school kid in a stadium watching some act with with beat $15 hats singing "redneck anthems". You've heard them- The I'm so country offerings. The soul of songs like "Poncho and Lefty" are nowhere to be found.
It packed up and left with Merle Haggard!!
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

no. That honor belongs to Garth Brooks. smile
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster

Country Music, much like the United States, has morphed into something that's no longer recognizable to those of us who grew up in it. Oh, they still celebrate the CMA awards and such, just like our government celebrates Independence Day. But it's no longer the thing it was meant to be. And the younger generation ain't got a clue what they're missing.
7mm

God forgive us.
Get a Pandora account and listen to what you want. You can select artists you like and ones similar. You can also delete artists you don't want to hear.

I agree,...with this song. Nothing about it says "country".

He finished it off.

This chit shows some folks that age and can't handle change. Call it want you want if it makes you happy, but we grew up on Alabama and the concerts were great.

Still enjoy listening to whatever you want to call their music.

Such a nice weekend down here and folks still get their panties all wadded up and full of sand.

And before we get wound up, I like a LOT of different music, I"m not stuck on one type like my old grandpa was.....that was ridiculous.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Where has Country Music gone? - 06/11/16
Some folks' tastes change, and change, and change, etc. which is normal and sensible for those folks. Seems like those tastes are based on "what they like" at a given time, and so the evolvement is natural as well. Along the way they have kids, and acquaintances, and friends who are influenced by the same manner of "liking" and "changing". Music that may have been truly basic and classic in some genre may mean little or nothing to them as time passes and new styles emerge.

The tastes of some folks seem to be based more on the knowledge and understanding of the genre, what it is, why it is that way and, as a result, what makes certain writers/performers/aspects really worthwhile in that realm. Seems like those tastes are based on factors beyond "liking" and get into the form and substance of the music, and those tastes are much less likely to change, and change, and change.

There is no right or wrong there, no way to rank the "tastes". It's just the way different folks seem to be.

Somewhere in all of that are the reasons why some folks today still seek and listen to the classics - the Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, Wagner, Shostakovich, Stravinsky and dozens of other classic writers - the Armstrong, Basie, Ellington, Bird and Diz, Gerry Mulligan, Miles Davis and dozens of other jazz writers and players - the Williams, Jones, Cline, Nelson, Haggard, Jenings and dozens of other C&W folks, etc..

Maybe some are simply focused more on the next big new thing in an area - whether or not it seems true to the basics of the genre.

Such is life.
I'm not much on listening to music anymore. But when I do, my preference is music without lyrics, classic or jazz mostly.

No interest in hearing anyone's 'message'. Nowadays a lot of 'music' is just about trying to rent space in your head.
Originally Posted by CCCC
Some folks' tastes change, and change, and change, etc. which is normal and sensible for those folks. Seems like those tastes are based on "what they like" at a given time, and so the evolvement is natural as well. Along the way they have kids, and acquaintances, and friends who are influenced by the same manner of "liking" and "changing". Music that may have been truly basic and classic in some genre may mean little or nothing to them as time passes and new styles emerge.

The tastes of some folks seem to be based more on the knowledge and understanding of the genre, what it is, why it is that way and, as a result, what makes certain writers/performers/aspects really worthwhile in that realm. Seems like those tastes are based on factors beyond "liking" and get into the form and substance of the music, and those tastes are much less likely to change, and change, and change.

There is no right or wrong there, no way to rank the "tastes". It's just the way different folks seem to be.

Somewhere in all of that are the reasons why some folks today still seek and listen to the classics - the Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, Wagner, Shostakovich, Stravinsky and dozens of other classic writers - the Armstrong, Basie, Ellington, Bird and Diz, Gerry Mulligan, Miles Davis and dozens of other jazz writers and players - the Williams, Jones, Cline, Nelson, Haggard, Jenings and dozens of other C&W folks, etc..

Maybe some are simply focused more on the next big new thing in an area - whether or not it seems true to the basics of the genre.

Such is life.

I agree with you. What I prefer to listen to and what I can still try to appreciate are not always one and the same. A good artist (talented) is a good artist, they are not always confined by their pre conceived genre. Chris Stapleton is a good example.
Country music has changed in the past 15-20 years for sure but good music is still out there. Good example, I got a chance to see Chris Stapleton a couple of weeks ago at an outdoor venue. The real thing, if you get a chance to see him, go for it. A few songs kind of reminded me of Hank, Jr. I'm a rock and roll guy but I also like real country music, not most of the crap they play on the radio today.
Originally Posted by Ackleyman
Country music has changed in the past 15-20 years for sure but good music is still out there. Good example, I got a chance to see Chris Stapleton a couple of weeks ago at an outdoor venue. The real thing, if you get a chance to see him, go for it. A few songs kind of reminded me of Hank, Jr. I'm a rock and roll guy but I also like real country music, not most of the crap they play on the radio today.

Chris is good example of a great talent that's not confined by any specific genre. You may already know of the Jompson Brothers band. Here's Chris rockin it at a local venue here in TN.

Posted By: EdM Re: Where has Country Music gone? - 06/11/16
I will pull an honest Sam and say that I can't stand country music old or new. The old twang sucked so off I went. No use for it old or new.
Originally Posted by rost495

This chit shows some folks that age and can't handle change. Call it want you want if it makes you happy, but we grew up on Alabama and the concerts were great.

Still enjoy listening to whatever you want to call their music.

Such a nice weekend down here and folks still get their panties all wadded up and full of sand.

And before we get wound up, I like a LOT of different music, I"m not stuck on one type like my old grandpa was.....that was ridiculous.

I could care less about what you have to say or think. You should practice on using your brain as much as you do your mouth. Or that would produce an overload.
What is passed off as country nowadays --sux!
Originally Posted by TBREW401
What is passed off as country nowadays --sux!

Yeah! Big time!

Billy Ray Cyrass..........Achy Breaky kilt it.
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Billy Ray Cyrass..........Achy Breaky kilt it.

Our little station here in Lander WY once played that 5 times in less than 45 minutes. eek
IT went to Brokeback Moutain
© 24hourcampfire