-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some folks' tastes change, and change, and change, etc. which is normal and sensible for those folks. Seems like those tastes are based on "what they like" at a given time, and so the evolvement is natural as well. Along the way they have kids, and acquaintances, and friends who are influenced by the same manner of "liking" and "changing". Music that may have been truly basic and classic in some genre may mean little or nothing to them as time passes and new styles emerge.

The tastes of some folks seem to be based more on the knowledge and understanding of the genre, what it is, why it is that way and, as a result, what makes certain writers/performers/aspects really worthwhile in that realm. Seems like those tastes are based on factors beyond "liking" and get into the form and substance of the music, and those tastes are much less likely to change, and change, and change.

There is no right or wrong there, no way to rank the "tastes". It's just the way different folks seem to be.

Somewhere in all of that are the reasons why some folks today still seek and listen to the classics - the Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, Wagner, Shostakovich, Stravinsky and dozens of other classic writers - the Armstrong, Basie, Ellington, Bird and Diz, Gerry Mulligan, Miles Davis and dozens of other jazz writers and players - the Williams, Jones, Cline, Nelson, Haggard, Jenings and dozens of other C&W folks, etc..

Maybe some are simply focused more on the next big new thing in an area - whether or not it seems true to the basics of the genre.

Such is life.

Last edited by CCCC; 06/11/16.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm not much on listening to music anymore. But when I do, my preference is music without lyrics, classic or jazz mostly.

No interest in hearing anyone's 'message'. Nowadays a lot of 'music' is just about trying to rent space in your head.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by CCCC
Some folks' tastes change, and change, and change, etc. which is normal and sensible for those folks. Seems like those tastes are based on "what they like" at a given time, and so the evolvement is natural as well. Along the way they have kids, and acquaintances, and friends who are influenced by the same manner of "liking" and "changing". Music that may have been truly basic and classic in some genre may mean little or nothing to them as time passes and new styles emerge.

The tastes of some folks seem to be based more on the knowledge and understanding of the genre, what it is, why it is that way and, as a result, what makes certain writers/performers/aspects really worthwhile in that realm. Seems like those tastes are based on factors beyond "liking" and get into the form and substance of the music, and those tastes are much less likely to change, and change, and change.

There is no right or wrong there, no way to rank the "tastes". It's just the way different folks seem to be.

Somewhere in all of that are the reasons why some folks today still seek and listen to the classics - the Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, Wagner, Shostakovich, Stravinsky and dozens of other classic writers - the Armstrong, Basie, Ellington, Bird and Diz, Gerry Mulligan, Miles Davis and dozens of other jazz writers and players - the Williams, Jones, Cline, Nelson, Haggard, Jenings and dozens of other C&W folks, etc..

Maybe some are simply focused more on the next big new thing in an area - whether or not it seems true to the basics of the genre.

Such is life.

I agree with you. What I prefer to listen to and what I can still try to appreciate are not always one and the same. A good artist (talented) is a good artist, they are not always confined by their pre conceived genre. Chris Stapleton is a good example.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Country music has changed in the past 15-20 years for sure but good music is still out there. Good example, I got a chance to see Chris Stapleton a couple of weeks ago at an outdoor venue. The real thing, if you get a chance to see him, go for it. A few songs kind of reminded me of Hank, Jr. I'm a rock and roll guy but I also like real country music, not most of the crap they play on the radio today.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Ackleyman
Country music has changed in the past 15-20 years for sure but good music is still out there. Good example, I got a chance to see Chris Stapleton a couple of weeks ago at an outdoor venue. The real thing, if you get a chance to see him, go for it. A few songs kind of reminded me of Hank, Jr. I'm a rock and roll guy but I also like real country music, not most of the crap they play on the radio today.

Chris is good example of a great talent that's not confined by any specific genre. You may already know of the Jompson Brothers band. Here's Chris rockin it at a local venue here in TN.

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I will pull an honest Sam and say that I can't stand country music old or new. The old twang sucked so off I went. No use for it old or new.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Alabama killed country music.

This chit shows some folks that age and can't handle change. Call it want you want if it makes you happy, but we grew up on Alabama and the concerts were great.

Still enjoy listening to whatever you want to call their music.

Such a nice weekend down here and folks still get their panties all wadded up and full of sand.

And before we get wound up, I like a LOT of different music, I"m not stuck on one type like my old grandpa was.....that was ridiculous.

I could care less about what you have to say or think. You should practice on using your brain as much as you do your mouth. Or that would produce an overload.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What is passed off as country nowadays --sux!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TBREW401
What is passed off as country nowadays --sux!

Yeah! Big time!

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

no. That honor belongs to Garth Brooks. smile

Billy Ray Cyrass..........Achy Breaky kilt it.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

no. That honor belongs to Garth Brooks. smile

Billy Ray Cyrass..........Achy Breaky kilt it.

Our little station here in Lander WY once played that 5 times in less than 45 minutes. eek

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IT went to Brokeback Moutain

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, 300_savage, AussieGunWriter, 10 invisible), 1,190 guests, and 710 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,232
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.