Home
Posted By: wabigoon Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
I was talking to a machinist, blacksmith, that said he was having surgery on his shoulder. I asked how he hurt it, this man works hard on big projects.
He said he was racing his granddaughter, and fell.

At a county safety meeting years ago, . during beak one of the county men went to the emergency room. They were doing to sledge hammer by the end of the handle, touching nose, and the hammer slipped.

Any of you know of odd injuries?
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
An old gent who used to rent pasture from us was complaining about his sore shoulder. Seems he tore his rotator cuff falling into a septic tank.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
I was sitting in my recliner while my children were knocking a balloon back and forth in the living room floor. The balloon hit the paddle fan blades and flew towards me and as it went by I swatted it. Problem was that the high backed recliner limited my shoulder motion. I partially tore ligaments in the shoulder by overextending the range of my arm.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
One of the strangest accidental deaths I've personally had knowledge of was a young man who was killed by a flying deer.

He was riding a bicycle down a suburban road when a deer was struck by a passing vehicle. The deer was launched into the air and struck the young man in the head, killing him.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
Was running a Bobcat T190 down a survey line in front of my crew through a tree farm in Louisiana and went through one, into the next and there was a 3 foot diameter beehive in it.

Hit that beehive square in the middle of the tree, it was above my bucket level, and fell in my lap...

If you think you can't get out of a Bobcat very quickly, I'm here to tell you that it can be done very quickly... smile
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
Was shooting clay pigeons one day at my buddys house. He loaded double birds in the thrower, and was ready to launch. Before he did, I asked if he could adjust thrower to make them fly lower to the ground. He says,"sure", bends over the machine and accidently stepped on the pull string. The arm hit him square in the mouth! He keeled over the thrower, then looked up with wide eyes, and said, "how bad is it?"I said, "stay put and I will go get the truck". Trip to the emergency room,12 stiches in upper and lower lip, lost 1 tooth. Not a fun day.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
My buddy was changing the bulbs on a couple cab lights on his truck, climbed up a short step ladder...finished the bulbs came down the ladder and ran the radio antenna right up is nose, the little round ball on the end knew right where to go.

Caused serious problems, it penetrated up to the brain....be careful out there.
Posted By: Tracks Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
A lady I know was pushing her granddaughter on a tricycle. The front tire jammed on a garden hose, she went over the bike and broke her nose.
At least that's the story she told.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
where do i start....
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
Originally Posted by MadMooner
One of the strangest accidental deaths I've personally had knowledge of was a young man who was killed by a flying deer.

He was riding a bicycle down a suburban road when a deer was struck by a passing vehicle. The deer was launched into the air and struck the young man in the head, killing him.

There was a lady who hit a deer up here in Mn. on Interstate 35 south of the Twin Cities. The deer went through the windshield of her mini-fang and decapitated her.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Hit that beehive square in the middle of the tree, it was above my bucket level, and fell in my lap...

If you think you can't get out of a Bobcat very quickly, I'm here to tell you that it can be done very quickly... smile

LOL......I leave my work boots on the back porch. Forgot to shake em out before putting them on one day and about half way through lacing one up I realized there was a small frog in it.
You'd be surprised how fast you can get a boot off once you set your mind to it. smile
Nether I nor the frog were hurt but I did have to change shorts.

Posted By: Ringman Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
I guess my injury was typical of these. The wooden poles holding up the grape arbor rotted and fell over in their concrete spots. One would not come out even when I tried to drill it out. Like a genius I poured gas in on top of it and let it sink in. Then I did it again later. This time I made a trail of gas from the pole holder to use as a "fuse". Then I moved the gas can a couple yards away. When I lit the "fuse" the whole area flashed igniting the gas can. I turned to run in the 6" tall grass. There was a hose that tripped me. I tried to roll like a young man. It looked good to my son-in-law. But I didn't relax my right arm quickly enough and ended up with a severe shoulder injury. I go for surgery in July. blush mad
Posted By: NEBHUNTER Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
Took my nephew turkey hunting during youth season. He wounded a tom. I ran after it downhill laid out and dove on it. Tore up my right shoulder also broke the ball off the humerus and broke scafoid bones in my right wrist. Had 3 surgeries total and about 9 months total in cast. Because the had to go back and do a bone graft on the wrist. We got the turkey though. Poor nephew had the worst first turkey hunt ever. We still took pictures and they are horrible poor kid was crying.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
My BIL was fishing in his pond and got his lure hung up in a tree, jerking on the line to loosen it resulted in the lure hitting him square in the mouth. One barb of the treble hook was embedded in his gum and the other in his lip. He calmly lay down in the bottom of the boat and handed his son his Leatherman tool asking him to try not to hurt his Dad anymore than necessary to get the hooks out. He told me that when he reached shore the beer couldn't be cold enough to dull the pain.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
Originally Posted by Ringman
I guess my injury was typical of these. The wooden poles holding up the grape arbor rotted and fell over in their concrete spots. One would not come out even when I tried to drill it out. Like a genius I poured gas in on top of it and let it sink in. Then I did it again later. This time I made a trail of gas from the pole holder to use as a "fuse". Then I moved the gas can a couple yards away. When I lit the "fuse" the whole area flashed igniting the gas can. I turned to run in the 6" tall grass. There was a hose that tripped me. I tried to roll like a young man. It looked good to my son-in-law. But I didn't relax my right arm quickly enough and ended up with a severe shoulder injury. I go for surgery in July. blush mad

sorry ringman but thats just being a pure dumbass... man
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
Sorry to laugh at your expense guys, but some of these stories are killing me. Any story that contains the words "hit him square in the mouth" is always a winner!

When I was about 10, my Dad and I were at a farm auction. He bought an old Wincharger which he said was just like they used on the farm when he was a kid to charge the batteries for their radio. Had no blades, pretty rusted and gummed up, but home we took it. He worked on it in the garage for a few hours here and there for the better part of one summer. He even made new propeller blades for it, cut them out of old boards he had laying around, soaked them, bent them, drilled holes to attach; all in all some pretty fine work from my Dad who was a great pharmacist but pretty poor handyman. Anyway, he thought it would be perfect on top of the garage, so he carried it up there and screwed the legs into the roof trusses.......before mounting the blades. No problem, he'll just mount them up here. All went well until he bent down to pick up the last blade. While he was bent down picking up the blade, the wind gusted, and he stood right into the line of fire as the other blades rat-a-tatted off his bald head...which of course knocked him down and he rolled right off the garage into the yard, where I was standing, watching every more. None the worse for wear from the fall, but it did require a few butterfly bandages and gauze for his head. Makes me laugh every time I think of it. I do believe there was some Budweiser involved.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
got knocked off a ladder by a bee stinging me right between the eyes, had a widowmaker limb turn loose cutting a tree down and hit me square on top of the noggin. Brought me to my knees and is my usual reaction to pain, came up swinging

my boys laughed their azzes off each time

both instances my boys told me it helped them believe in God and that he did actually love them, cause they wanted to kick my azz too but were afraid to try.

Remind me again why I love those lil jabronis?
Posted By: Griffon Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
When I was 9 or 10 a few of us were tossing wooden croquet balls into a washtub full of water. Can't remember why. I turned around just as a buddy threw a ball and it hit me square in the mouth. It knocked me down and I started spitting what I thought was sand from the ball, but was pieces of my teeth. Knocked out my two upper front teeth and chipped the two bottom front teeth.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
Originally Posted by Griffon
When I was 9 or 10 a few of us were tossing wooden croquet balls into a washtub full of water. Can't remember why. I turned around just as a buddy threw a ball and it hit me square in the mouth. It knocked me down and I started spitting what I thought was sand from the ball, but was pieces of my teeth. Knocked out my two upper front teeth and chipped the two bottom front teeth.

Hmm...

I know a certain person who when about 10 or 11 who stopped his brother's croquet ball because his brother hit out of turn. Putting the croquet mallet in front of the ball was a bad choice, the ball hit the mallet and flew straight into the kid's mouth knocking out half of two upper front teeth.

The momma was sooooo ticked off. Person will remain nameless.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Dear lord.....
When i was working for SWBTelephone,I was walking from my truck to a side wall terminal,on the way,the sprinklers had just cut off.I was walking on about a 45% inline,so in my mind I told myself to get back on level ground until I found the sw terminal,I took a step, slipped and fell.On the way down I heard a loud pop,after I layed there for a minute,my leg was hurting like HELL.When I looked down my right foot was at a 90% angle facing away from center.I crawled to my truck,hopped up on 1 leg,used my phone to call my boss and tell her waht happened.She arrived about 25minutes later and took me to the hospital emergency room and I waited for 2 1/2 hours to see a doctor.He sent me to the back of the hospital to have my leg xrayed.Then they sent me back to the EM room,he looked at the xray and said I fractured my ankle and broke both bones in my leg.Then we had to find a orthopedic doctor that accepted on the job accidents,work mans comp.Finally found 1 in Carrollton and he said to rush right over because it was 552 PM.He looked at the xrays and said all he could do right then was put my leg in a soft cast until he could scheduel me for surgery.
After 2 days I was finally operated on,he put in 2 plates and 13 screws.3 weeks after surgery my leg felt like it had a fever and itched like HELL.I called him and he said t come right in,which I did.When he cut the cast off,there was a very foul odor in the room,he told me to call my wife,that I was going back into surgery in about 30 minutes.I had the start of a staph infection.When I woke up from surgery he came in and said things did not look good,if it did not show marked improvement in 2 days he was going to have to cut my leg off about 4 inches under my knee.After he told me this and my wife went home, I cried and PRAYED,me and the GOOD LORD HAD A VERY LONG TALK,Thanks to him, it started coming around after a day and half.I was able to go home after 8 days.I only lost 11% movement of my ankle,at least I still have it.
Posted By: kellory Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
Just heard this one 2 days ago. The nearest recycling center near my work, is walking distance and a few guys stop in to chat on the way in to work. I heard one of thier guys was cutting up scrap, and the saw jumped and landed across his wrist. His hand landed on the floor, and he didn't even notice until he saw all the blood. He is at the hospital now.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
I dislocated my shoulder in high school playing dodge ball.

Was running across the court and stepped on a ball in full stride. Went dont on my left shoulder and put it out.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
This is a story only previously told to family...by my wife. Our house had a badly clogged drain that I decided to fix myself, mistake #1. I rented a motorized roto rooter thing and climbed a ladder to the roof w/ the thing and proceeded to clean the drain and cover myself w/ what might have been schidt. The drain was clear and I was feeling all macho and prepared to descend the ladder while guiding the wheeled apparatus holding it by the axle, mistake #2.

The crap cleanser rotated on the axle and swung into the service line leading to the house and apparently struck an uninsulated part of what I was later told was a 220 v line. There was a large flash, my right shoulder dislocated which allowed me to drop the rooter and I fell off the ladder.

Below me was a pile of dried grass cuttings and a pile of firewood that I had procrastinated in dealing with, mistake #3. The shower of sparks ignited the fuel and there I was w/ a badly dislocated shoulder and a fire next to my home. I managed to get the fire extinguisher and call my bil to take me to the hospital where the indignity was maximizied.

I was doing my PA residency at the hospital of choice and I arrived in agony wearing nothing but running shorts and shoes and pretty much covered w/ schidt and ashes. I believe an announcement was made over the pa system to summon every one to witness my distress including my wife who worked at the hospital.

By then my shoulder muscles were in spasm and I had get injected with morphine and valium IV to reduce the dislocation while the MD told me I stunk and dressed funny and my wife told me to never touch a tool again.

I pretty much hire people to do stuff now.

mike r
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
Two weeks ago went fishing. Had to wrestle 2 four footers and a 25 pounder to get 'em on the measuring board. Percoset for the last two weeks and just started physical therapy again today. Blew out a disk.
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
I just read a report he other day about how a construction worker got run over by a steamroller.
Watched a girl break her arm playing Red Rover. Kid dropped a coffee can on my head during a school play, required stitches. Brother threw a rock at a yellow jacket that was bothering him, hit me in the head, required stitches. Got in a fight with a kid, he pushed me backwards over his buddy that was bent down behind my legs, knocked me out cold went in to the school office and puked all over the principles desk from the severe concussion I suffered. Another hospital visit. Fell off of the monkey bars, knee hit jaw, teeth went through lower lip, required stitches. Rematch of the fight that caused concussion kid grabbed me in a bear hug and bit a chunk out of my back, required stitches but I ended up winning that fight.

Whats so odd about all of these you ask?

All happened in the fourth grade fall within about a 70 day period.

Don't think i got much for Christmas that year...
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
8 or 9 years old, riding on the hay wagon with older, bigger cousins behind grandads tractor. Hay can be slick. Slid off between wagon and tractor. Hit the ground and and jumped forward and out.

High school kid from Garwood did it years later and died.

12 year old childhood aquaintance was touching a truck that hit power lines or used a pole to lift wires. Cant remember the details now. He died. He was a good kid.

Handle not locked down on a squeeze chute can take a jaw or nose off.
Watched a young man nearly sever 2 fingers using a table saw. Only held on by ligaments. Odd part was the blade didn't get him, the piece of Lexan he was cutting kicked back and he held his hand up to protect his face as it started happening. Lexan came off the top of the blade like a Chinese throwing star.

Protect his face he did...
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
Take a ride with a young hotshot scout pilot, second mission in SVN. Be amazed as he over reacts to hostile fire and flies thru the top of a very large tree. Be appreciative of the fresh breeze in your face on that hot day as you spit out plexiglas, twigs, limbs and bird chitt. Experience the joy of the most violent vibrations one might imagine as a result of now curved rotor blades. After landing marvel at the 10' of 3" limb skewered thru the belly, fuel cell and cargo compartment overhead. Wonder why the tail stabilizer surfaces are about 40* out of normal alignment. Puzzle about why the minigun is dangling from only one retainer pin. Ask "Who you talking about?" when one of the gunners looks down at you on the ground and says "Oh man, look at that guy!"

Didn't even have to pay for that ride, but did take near two weeks off. Took near that long to wash the chitt out of my flight suit.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
[Linked Image]
There's story here. wink
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/16/17
When I was a little tyke making my first efforts to pee in the toilet, the seat fell on my johnson and split it open requiring stitches. I was a little gun shy after that.

About a year later in the same bathroom, I pulled the string to turn on the ceiling light, the globe fell and split my head open requiring more stitches.

When I was 13, I was changing the 36" backhoe bucket to a frost tooth, as I drove the pin out my pinky finger went into the hole replacing the pin and the bucket dropped. More stitches and torn ligaments.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
What doesn't kill us makes us strong.

mike r
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
Originally Posted by jaguartx
... Handle not locked down on a squeeze chute can take a jaw or nose off.

I hate squeeze chutes. Local beef association has a portable chute with palpation cage on back. I am 6'-0" tall. Horizontal cross bar on palpation cage is about 5'-10" to 5'-11". I have a permanent lump on my fore head due to too many "close encounters" with that cross bar. Stars more times than I can count. Set on my butt a couple times. It never budged. I hate squeeze chutes...
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
[Linked Image]
Looking at ironbenders post , forgot about this F"UP. Cutting a tie strap off the Savage 99 after leaving a gunshow,something about never cut towards you? Severed 2 arterys, xpensive mistake.Was not a cut but very deep stab wound.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
I spent 2 years working in a busy ER and witnessed the result of many dumbass stunts. It is amazing how many guys present w/ a buzzing [bleep] above the Iliac Crest, must be a Vegas thing.

mike r
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
When I was wee lad (pre kindergarten days) we were visiting my grandparents back in the Tennessee hills. A couple of my uncles got to tossing me back and forth in the kitchen. The three of us were having a high old time until one of them missed, and I took a header into the corner of a cabinet. It split my head open pretty good, and it was clear that stitches were called for. To make things even more interesting there was a heavy snow on the ground. The ride into town to get me stitched up included getting stuck in the snow, and being rescued by a neighbor in a Volkswagen Beetle. Even now, over 50 years later, no family gathering is complete with someone recalling the story of when Aaron and Ed were playing football with Rick, and one of them missed.
Posted By: kingston Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
So far Ringman, a gallon of gasoline, and a lighter are in the lead and by a goodly margin..
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
Originally Posted by ironbender
[Linked Image]
There's story here. wink

Do tell
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
Come on, Kingsford, you must have done something, at some time?
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
82 years old and wanted to help neighbors with their tree, even though they could afford to hire someone. 10 feet up on a ladder leaning against the tree cutting a limb. Fell onto concrete and lay on the ground for who knows how long because no one was watching. Dislocated hip, broken arm and coma for 3 months. Woke up with brain damage and eventually Alzheimer's. Ruined my Dad's life.

2 guys working on a telephone poll. Rope was dangling from pole and caught on pickup truck. Pole broke when guy drove off and guy on pole fell becoming a quadriplegic.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Only my pants shïtting stories might stand a chance up against the competition here today, but I'll flip through my diary for you.
"Knock on wood."
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
When I was 26 I was dozing on the couch one Saturday night, my first day home from the hospital after back surgery. I was awakened by a blow to my head like being bludgeoned with a hammer. WTH? I sat up holding my head and looked around in pain and confusion. That is when I saw my antelope shoulder mount on the floor. Took my hands away and blood poured from my scalp. Couldn't drive myself so I had to call 911. The medics came in and saw the mount on the floor and the blood splatters.
On the ambulance ride in they called it in to the dispatcher who could be heard saying "what did you say hit him on the head?" I had several visits from curious ER staff, many of which I figured thought I had probably taken a Budweiser bottle to the head at a bar and just made up a story. Took 8 staples to close up the gash. That was definitely a redneck Saturday night.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon
i've got hurt a few times, but none of them were due to shear ignorance/stupidity.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
I should be dead, many times over, mostly by being stupid.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
Buddy in high school almost died from gassing up his lawnmower in their garage- close to a water heater.

Another bought it when he stopped by the hwy one Fri night to fix a flat and a drunk ran over him.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
Busting my spleen laughing at Ringman's post.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
[Linked Image]
There's story here. wink

Well warn us iron. We really dont want to do that trick.
Posted By: GregW Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Yeah....That's being an idiot...
Posted By: las Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
2 guys were riding their snow machines on a power line or cut trail of some sort, here on the Kenbai soe years back. Going fast. First guy hits an unseen snow-buried cable which pops up and decapitates his buddy trailing behind.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
[Linked Image]
There's story here. wink

Well warn us iron. We really dont want to do that trick.

looks like the slide from a pistol got him somehow.
ringman you don't play around with gas either.....

Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
When I was six years old my parents took us up to Vogel State Park in north Georgia. We rented a cabin for the night.
The next morning my brother and I went out to the lake. A twelve year old boy was fishing. We watched while he loaded up about 5 night crawlers on the hook.
He told us "The more worms the bigger the fish! Now y'all back up I am going to cast!"
I backed up but not fast enough. He swung the pole backwards over his head, I was about 10 feet away, the hook caught me right in the mouth. I guess I had my mouth open because the hook went inside my mouth and stuck through the cheek.
All those dirty worms were in my mouth.
The guy thought he was hung on a bush, he jerked the pole once or twice without looking back.
I was getting jerked towards the lake by my mouth, like a big fish!
Then, the kid looked back, saw he had hooked a little kid. He screamed, tossed his fishing pole up into the air, and ran off at a high speed.
Never saw him again.

My big brother ran back to the cabin to get my parents.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
When I was about 7 yrs old, was climbing ladder to upper bunk where I slept. There was a floor lamp next to my ladder with just a bulb in it, no globe. Brushed my arm against it and it burned the crap out of me! In retaliation , I spit on it. Thats when the bulb exploded, and my mom was picking glass out of my face. Yikes!
Posted By: Jericho Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
My grandmother was a live in maid most of her life and was staying with a family one summer. One day she arrived at the home and the wife was having a fit about her kids not cleaning up the living room and picked up a shoe and threw it across the room. She didnt realize my grandmother was walking into the room and it hit her in the nose and broke her glasses and of course a bloody nose. She apologized over and over to her, and of course paid for her glasses.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
I was working as an orderly on the orthopedic floor at Breckinridge Hospital, putting myself through school. Got some extra overtime volunteering to work in the ER the morning shift on New Year's Day. Shortly after I went on at 7:00 AM, they brought in a big black guy who looked like he had tangled with a buzz saw. In fact, that was a pretty good description of what happened.

He had tied one on at a big New Year's Eve party the night before and sorely embarrassed his good wife. She hauled him home in the early hours of the morning and then rousted him out at sunrise--dead tired and almost terminally hung over. She had been bugging him to cut off a limb that was banging on the second story of their house for some time. She told him that if he didn't get up there and do it "right now", she was divorcing his ass. He managed to find a ladder, an extension cord and a Skil saw and work his way up the trunk to the base of the limb. The junction of the limb was apparently almost another six or seven feet above the roof of the house.

The limb was big, the saw blade was a little dull and so he had to lean on it to get it to cut through the base of the limb. When the limb went, he lost his balance and tumbled down through 10 or 15 feet of limbs and leaves, clutching the saw and finally hit the ground, never releasing the trigger on the saw. He had a vertical cut that went through his forehead, his nose, his lips (which were really quite large), about a foot of his chest epidermis and another foot or so along his left thigh. The reason that I know all of these details is that he insisted that his doctor was one of the leading neurosurgeons in Austin at the time and would not hear of letting anyone else patch him up. I sat with him for more than an hour while, apparently oblivious to pain, he told me all of this in great detail, as we went through the motions of contacting the surgeon (whom we were sure would not show up early on New Years Day.)

But show up he did, and I got to assist as he deftly sutured all the wounds, explaining to me as he went how to close the wounds and minimize scarring.
I swear these women really do want to kill us sometimes.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
[Linked Image]
There's story here. wink

To be honest it looks like someone was making like a chinaman and gathering speed then suffering from a handslip to the teeth.

But I am sure there is a more reasonable explanation.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
Some of these made me laugh to tears!
These two sound like they could be funny but wth does it meen?

"They were doing to sledge hammer by the end of the handle, touching nose, and the hammer slipped." wabigoon

"It is amazing how many guys present w/ a buzzing [bleep] above the Iliac Crest, must be a Vegas thing." mike r
Posted By: dodgefan Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
Probably the oddest injury I've ever had was was a severely broken ankle resulting from messing around with a buddy during a friendly game of touch football. Near the end of the game I was behind him and grabbed him by the arms so he couldn't take off, when he twisted around I fell over and heard my ankle break. I ended up getting a couple of surgeries on it and a couple of pins.
Posted By: pal Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
While running a backhoe, digging up a large tree trunk, a nearby phone-pole sized tree broke off about 6' above the ground (where it had rotted through) due to the earth tremors caused by my digging. The backhoe, a Case 530CK, had no overhead protection, and had a tractor style seat with a bar that you straddle. Finally seeing the tree coming at me, I had enough time only to get one leg halfway over that bar before being struck on my hardhat and shoulder. The blow knocked me out cold, fracturing my pelvis and dumping me in a heap on the ground. Didn't regain consciousness until paramedics arrived. Recovery was an extremely painful affair.
Originally Posted by BigNate

"It is amazing how many guys present w/ a buzzing [bleep] above the Iliac Crest, must be a Vegas thing." mike r

From what I understand, these injuries typically result from a bungling fall on a battery powered massager that was carelessly left on by its previous user.
Posted By: johnw Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
Working in the trades you get to know a lot of guys by a nick name and usually never hear their real name. Was working as foreman on one job and a guy I had known for years as "Nick" turned out to have a given name of Thomas. One day at lunch I asked him how he went from Thomas to "Nick"? His brother was sitting at the same table as us and his face lit all up. He told Nick to tell the story or he would.

Anyway, turns out "Nick" used to run a trap line. He carried a ruger .22 pistol. He'd just used the pistol to dispatch a coon one day and then stuck the ruger in the front of his pants as he bent over to pick up the coon. The pistol fired and Thomas became "Nick"...

Nick said he remained calm and drove himself to the emergency room. He started to worry when his wife, one of the nurses in the ER, fainted slap out on the floor.
Posted By: johnw Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
Always use caution, and a GOOD hat when cutting scrub locust brush...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kellory Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17

"They were doing to sledge hammer by the end of the handle, touching nose, and the hammer slipped." wabigoon

I can explain one of them....
A display of skill and strength is to grasp a sledge hammer at the very base of the shaft, them swing it up and over your own head, and down until it touches your own nose. Then, reverse the motion, and swing it back to the floor in an arc away from your face. (Thia is all done one handed)
Posted By: dodgefan Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
Originally Posted by kellory

A display of skill and strength is to grasp a sledge hammer at the very base of the shaft, them swing it up and over your own head, and down until it touches your own nose. Then, reverse the motion, and swing it back to the floor in an arc away from your face. (Thia is all done one handed)

The way we always did it was by grabbing the end of the handle and extending your arm straight in front of you with the sledgehammer pointing up and slowly lowering it till the head touched your nose then raising it vertical again.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
12 year old childhood aquaintance was touching a truck that hit power lines or used a pole to lift wires. Cant remember the details now. He died. He was a good kid.

Kid near here died several years ago when He was about to hook up a trailer, and His Dad's truck had a CB antenna touching an electric wire. A good friend of mine died at Seventeen when He met a semi, in a curve and the load of steel broke loose and piled over on his car. miles
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
Originally Posted by dodgefan

The way we always did it was by grabbing the end of the handle and extending your arm straight in front of you with the sledgehammer pointing up and slowly lowering it till the head touched your nose then raising it vertical again.

That is the way it is done.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
I have been the cause of several weird injuries.

Some kids wanted to wrestle at a house party in college. They would not leave it alone. One kid's ankle got stuck in a box spring and broke when I pulled him out.

Another kid broke his shoulder when I picked him up and gently set him back down.

One kid broke his sternum when he tried wake me up while screaming there was a fire in the dorm. There was no fire.

Another kid broke his sternum when he asked me to pop his back during a break while playing music.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
[Linked Image]
There's story here. wink

It's easy enough to post the pic from my phone. Any more than a snarky 0ne-liner and I need a real keyboard.

The pic shows why one must be careful messing with teenaged sons.

I don't remember how it started, but my 17 yo son and I were in the kitchen and there was an exchange of water that progressed to spraying mouthfuls then a cupful. i grabbed a bigger cup and the kid pulled the coffee carafe out of the machine. He filled it at the laundry sink and ran into the garage. I locked the door and prepped my assault.

When I suddenly opened the door, we simultaneously threw water. My cup hit the carafe which shattered and sliced my hand. It was something like 17 stitches to close.

The beotch was that I was re-shingling my roof and the the darn thing would keep leaking.
Stuff like that always happens at the worst possible time...
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
I had a Skill saw that the trigger was going bad in but I kept putting it off untill one day when I was holding it in my off hand and handing a block up to my partner without so much as a finger in the trigger guard it fired up all by it's lonesome and buried the blade about an inch into my thigh.

To add insult to injury the nurse cut the leg off of my brand new pair of Wranglers. frown

Oh yea.......I changed the trigger the next morning.

PS.......back in those days everyone took the guards off of their saws. Still don't have one on mine to this day.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
Back in 2010 we were on a hunting trip in Idaho and I was unloading stuff from the back of my Suburban and jammed the top of my head into where the roof takes a step down on the inside. I heard something crunch in my neck and damn near made me pass out. Two MRI's, lots of physical therapy, and years of chiropractor visits and my neck has never been the same since.
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
Originally Posted by kingston
So far Ringman, a gallon of gasoline, and a lighter are in the lead and by a goodly margin..

Cough, cough. When this picture and story came out I saved it knowing I could some day pull it out for just such an occasion. To date it's the oddest one off trip to the hospital I've ran across. I'll admit to laughing uncontrollably at the time. I'll relay the story as best I can remember. Apparently said victim and friends were hunting porcupines and had scored on a couple that were out and about. Came across a porky den tree and verified there was indeed the venerable and elusive quarry perched well above, inside.

Came up with the game plan that one brave soul would lay on his back and scoot in the hollow at the bottom of the den tree and shoot the porcupine. The good buddies along at the time worried about the boys safety and all, thought ahead enough to have someone reach in and hold his ears while he aimed and pulled the trigger. But apparently they all skipped school the day the law of gravity was discussed.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: agazain Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/17/17
A co-worker's adopted son hung his personals on the hook of a tether ball apparatus, sliding down the pole.
Another friend got a shingle nail shot into his shoulder when a co-worker slapped a red wasp that had landed there -- with the nail gun!!
Damn.

Bet he won't lay under a falling porcupine again! laugh

Lucky it didn't take both his eyes out. Thank God!
Safety harness injury, don't know the guy but I bet it smarted.
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad261/ronnieg97866/Nuts/IMG_7618_zps7atyxzie.jpg
Ronnie
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/18/17
Damn.

I would guess that took anesthesia to get them pulled. 100 needles or so stuck in your forehead with barbs on them would not be fun. I pulled enough out of dogs already to know you can virtually feel them with a pliers grabbing and tearing flesh on the way out.

Poor guy probably figured on getting out of the way but with laying on his back with his arms inside the hole, the ability to scoot out of the would've been a no go, and apparently nobody thought enough to grab him by the legs and yank him out when he shot. Lol. You are right about his eyes, first thing I thought of when I first seen the picture. Could've been bad.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/18/17
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Damn.

I would guess that took anesthesia to get them pulled. 100 needles or so stuck in your forehead with barbs on them would not be fun. I pulled enough out of dogs already to know you can virtually feel them with a pliers grabbing and tearing flesh on the way out.

Poor guy probably figured on getting out of the way but with laying on his back with his arms inside the hole, the ability to scoot out of the would've been a no go, and apparently nobody thought enough to grab him by the legs and yank him out when he shot. Lol. You are right about his eyes, first thing I thought of when I first seen the picture. Could've been bad.

Trick is to trim them about half way off and then pull them. It allows the barb to release.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/18/17
Knew a guy who hoped out of his van and some how caught his wedding band on the rain guard above the door, it ripped his finger clear off.
Posted By: djs Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/18/17
As a Smokejumper int he early 1960's, we had a jumper land in a tree (not unusual), except he turned upside down when his foot got caught in a branch. He fell about 20 feet (upside-down) and landed on his head and shoulder, causing a neck injury. The neck wasn't broken, but badly twisted. It took a full day carrying him out to a forest road (about 8 miles with no trails) and he spent several nights in the hospital.
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/18/17
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Damn.

Trick is to trim them about half way off and then pull them. It allows the barb to release.

You might get away with that with a minor amount and the right dog.....they hurt and dogs have to convince themselves to take it just touching the quills with any tool . No dog is going to stand for dealing with a substantial amount of quills TWICE. None. I've had some that did their best to allow you to deal with them, but they aren't gonna take that. Besides that I haven't seen a vet yet that doesn't dispute that notion. Under a microscope the barbs are fashioned like fish scales attached to the outside, they aren't barbs sticking out but a lot of scales laid over each other facing forward, like on a fish. Cutting the quill doesn't change that. If you've ever dealt with them at all you know the slightest touch and they will go in deeper. So now you have an even shorter quill to try and grab and remove.

Best thing to do if the dog will stand for it is just one at a time grab them with a pliers length wise and rip them straight out quick. If a dog is fighting you make up a gag to keep their mouth open and keep them from biting. I've done it both ways. It aint fun but they gotta come out.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/18/17
When I was three or so years old my older sister was chasing me around the house and I tripped and somehow hit the leg of a chair with my tongue. Split It wide open...as in like a snake. My mother had gone to the store or something and when she got home our baby sitter ( a black lady that was like part of the family) told her that I had fallen and hurt my tongue. My mother said she almost passed out.

When they took me to the emergency room the doc said he couldn't really numb it 'cause that would hurt just as much as stitching it up as it was. I still have a narrow little groove where it was split. I don't remember a thing about it but I haven't let my sister live it down.

On our street in the mid 50's, we had about a dozen kids between the ages of 3-7 in about five houses next to, and across the street from each other. We were playing cowboys and Indians and I was running down the street holding a hammer like a pistol, tripped and somehow or other knocked the right ring finger nail about half way off. Another trip to the emergency room where the doc pulled it the rest of the way off. I was really po'd because with the big bandage on my finger I couldn't use my toy Winchester lever action.
Couple close calls with gasoline as a young man....
Oh yeah...
Got smacked right in the mouth by a rather sturdy piece of white oak that kicked back while ripping on a table saw. Good news is, it hit me square in the face on the flat side thus saving a nasty gash or broken teeth. Bad news is, it hit me square in the face with the flat side...my lips looked like hubba-bubba for about three days.
Posted By: kellory Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/18/17
Originally Posted by nemotheangler

It varies, since sledges come in several sizes. Most common is 6# or 8#, but if you think you are man enough, try a 16# "curb breaker".
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/18/17

It varies, since sledges come in several sizes. Most common is 6# or 8#, but if you think you are man enough, try a 16# "curb breaker".

I can do a 16lb strict and if I drop my arm below parallel I can get a 20lb hammer.

Oddest way I've gotten hurt was at football practice, as the head coach. I was running scout team offense and we were working on a quick arrow route the other team ran. I had 2 really good defensive ends that I told get on a knee and do not move, we were working more on the secondary covering the route. I took the shotgun snap and fired out the arrow pass. Problem was on my left end decided to be Lawrence Taylor and rush. I stuck my right thumb straight into the crown of his helmet. He was at full speed and I had thrown about as hard as I could. Broke my thumb badly.
Posted By: kellory Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/18/17
Originally Posted by old_willys
Knew a guy who hoped out of his van and some how caught his wedding band on the rain guard above the door, it ripped his finger clear off.

That's no joke, damn near happened to me. I stepped down off a flat bed delivery truck and my wedding ring caught on one of the nails in the crate. Cut me to the bone with ny wieght hanging on it. Had to get my ring off after the flesh was shredded, by wrapping thread over it to compress it and pass the ring over it. I'm lucky to still have the finger in working condition.
Posted By: Learmorer Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/18/17
I smashed my finger between the boat and the dock on the first morning of a fly in trip, half way cutting the tip of the finger off, I taped it back, and by the end of the week it was pretty well healed.

I had the tip of another finger cut off in a scuffle with a guy who had a straight razor. (I didn't see it at first, it was on his key ring, and just looked like a big bundle of keys) It was so sharp I never felt it, and didn't figure out what had happened until it was all over. (Gee, where did all this blood come from?)

I broke a knuckle in a fight with a drunk, but I didn't want to go to the doctor because I was registered for a Second Chance shoot, and I didn't want a cast on my right hand. I put ice on it and kept practicing for the shoot left handed. I didn't win anything, as usual, but at least I didn't embarrass myself. I couldn't work a heavy bag for a couple of years after that, but it sure taught me not to punch anyone in the head.

A broken knee cap, a broken rib, some stitches, lots of scrapes, overall I've been lucky, because I can't say I've ever been hurt really bad.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/18/17
I saw a guy that was using a cold chisel to remove something in a front end of a Pepsi delivery truck. He almost missed on one swing but just caught the head of the chisel enough to flip it backwards and stuck in his forehead. The chisel must have been wedged in and he didn't have a hold of it. It didn't kill him or penetrate his skull, just stuck in there like you would set a nail before driving it home. After x-rays the doc just gave it a tug and removed it. We called it the unicorn incident.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/18/17
Originally Posted by MadMooner

have a friend who was knocked unconscious by a deer crossing the road. Friend was on his bike when the deer hit him as it ran between a few houses to cross the rd. Residents of one of the houses found him and he got an expensive ambulance ride to a local hospital.
Posted By: kennyd Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/18/17
I few years ago my fellow machinist and I compared a program we had rewritten with the old one. He forgot to change back to the correct one. The lathe is one of those that has zero at the center of the headstock, so when the program asks for a tool that wasn't located it will rapid travel to zero. Blew the jaws off the chuck, broke the drawbar and knocked the turret out of line. I went to look at the damage and rolled what was left of the chuck, the whole 12 inch chuck fell off taking my right hand and cutting the palm clear to the bone. Took a year to heal, and got me 2 operations and an ambulance ride.

I always put a line of x's in dead programs, they won't run, and it is easy to edit out.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/18/17
Originally Posted by old_willys

That's no joke, damn near happened to me. I stepped down off a flat bed delivery truck and my wedding ring caught on one of the nails in the crate. Cut me to the bone with ny wieght hanging on it. Had to get my ring off after the flesh was shredded, by wrapping thread over it to compress it and pass the ring over it. I'm lucky to still have the finger in working condition.

"Ringman" came from when I used to make rings. Once I started making them people started telling me their stories like those above. The most bizarre was when a guy was working on his starter. His wedding ring touched the frame and the hot side of the starter at the same time. Instantly his finger was cooked off where his ring was. There were at least a dozen more.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Huntz Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/18/17
My Wife was mad at one of my boys and went out side and kicked a tree and broke her big toe.
Posted By: trplem Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/18/17
About half the people in my neighborhood have suffered minor physical damage courtesy of clipless bicycle pedals. It happens when coming to a stop, unclipping from one pedal, and overbalancing in the wrong direction. It's mostly just embarrassing.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/18/17
a few weeks ago our EMS got page to something with a post hole digger.

Ends up a guy all by himself was using a tractor PTO power auger and it was not cutting, so he got on top of the auger body ( most of us have used a pry bar on these things but I"ve never jumped on top of one) and was jumping on it to get it to start cutting.... he slipped.

Wrapped up the genitals in the PTO shaft somehow. De Gloved the testicles, penis and ripped either part of the anus or urethra out of him all at once. THats about all we could tell before the helo came in to get him.
Posted By: johnw Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/19/17
I'm gonna stop reading your posts... Gonna hurt for days having read that...
Posted By: bobg Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 06/19/17
Headed down the hall to the bedroom in my power wheel chair. Pinched my little finger and ring finger between the control on the chair and the door frame. Didn't think much of it until it turned black and started to stink. Off to the hospital. I no longer have those two fingers. I sure do miss them.
".[/quote]

I can do a 16lb strict and if I drop my arm below parallel I can get a 20lb hammer. /[quote]

I have seen a guy that is an amateur body builder, took second in all of California as an am, that can bench press 500 lbs, do a 16, just barely. He did it legit though. If you can do 20 with a little cheat, you are a big dude.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 07/01/17
Fellow in my home town claimed that his revolver would completely penetrate a wooden fence post. There was opposition to his claim. He proceeded to prove his point. To make sure that he centered the post, he held it with his off hand. His point was painfully proven.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 07/01/17
A fellow teacher showered one morning, following his wife. When he emerged from the shower, he noticed that the bulb above the sink was burnt out. Fortunately, there was a new bulb in the vanity. He had to stretch a bit to unscrew the old bulb. Unfortunately, this brought Charlie (my friend still being in a state of undress) into direct contact with the curling iron that his wife had left heating on the top of the vanity. Upon arrival at the emergency room, the attending nurse fainted, when upon first look, she assumed that his unit had been burned completely off. Given the size of his organ, this mistake was understandable. Cooler heads prevailed and determined that he had suffered second degree burns over 90% of his member (an area about the size of dime). (The last three sentences may be an exaggeration; then again, they may not.)
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 07/01/17
".

I can do a 16lb strict and if I drop my arm below parallel I can get a 20lb hammer. /

I have seen a guy that is an amateur body builder, took second in all of California as an am, that can bench press 500 lbs, do a 16, just barely. He did it legit though. If you can do 20 with a little cheat, you are a big dude.

I'm not overly large, I'm around 6'0 230lbs.

Slim Farman is the best I've ever seen on the hammer lifts.

Probably the most painful thing I've done with a sledge is taking a full length 6lbs sledge and doing a pronation/supination. I kept my arm bend at a 90, elbow at my side, and stopped the hammer parallel to the ground pronation and supination. I really thought my elbow was going to explode.
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
".

I can do a 16lb strict and if I drop my arm below parallel I can get a 20lb hammer. /

I'm not overly large, I'm around 6'0 230lbs.

Slim Farman is the best I've ever seen on the hammer lifts.

Probably the most painful thing I've done with a sledge is taking a full length 6lbs sledge and doing a pronation/supination. I kept my arm bend at a 90, elbow at my side, and stopped the hammer parallel to the ground pronation and supination. I really thought my elbow was going to explode.

I should have said strong!!!
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Odd ways To Get Hurt. - 07/01/17
Momma dropped me on my head when still on the teat. Never recovered.
© 24hourcampfire