Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Probably the oddest injury I've ever had was was a severely broken ankle resulting from messing around with a buddy during a friendly game of touch football. Near the end of the game I was behind him and grabbed him by the arms so he couldn't take off, when he twisted around I fell over and heard my ankle break. I ended up getting a couple of surgeries on it and a couple of pins.

GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While running a backhoe, digging up a large tree trunk, a nearby phone-pole sized tree broke off about 6' above the ground (where it had rotted through) due to the earth tremors caused by my digging. The backhoe, a Case 530CK, had no overhead protection, and had a tractor style seat with a bar that you straddle. Finally seeing the tree coming at me, I had enough time only to get one leg halfway over that bar before being struck on my hardhat and shoulder. The blow knocked me out cold, fracturing my pelvis and dumping me in a heap on the ground. Didn't regain consciousness until paramedics arrived. Recovery was an extremely painful affair.

Last edited by pal; 06/16/17.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BigNate
Some of these made me laugh to tears!

"It is amazing how many guys present w/ a buzzing [bleep] above the Iliac Crest, must be a Vegas thing." mike r

From what I understand, these injuries typically result from a bungling fall on a battery powered massager that was carelessly left on by its previous user.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Working in the trades you get to know a lot of guys by a nick name and usually never hear their real name. Was working as foreman on one job and a guy I had known for years as "Nick" turned out to have a given name of Thomas. One day at lunch I asked him how he went from Thomas to "Nick"? His brother was sitting at the same table as us and his face lit all up. He told Nick to tell the story or he would.

Anyway, turns out "Nick" used to run a trap line. He carried a ruger .22 pistol. He'd just used the pistol to dispatch a coon one day and then stuck the ruger in the front of his pants as he bent over to pick up the coon. The pistol fired and Thomas became "Nick"...

Nick said he remained calm and drove himself to the emergency room. He started to worry when his wife, one of the nurses in the ER, fainted slap out on the floor.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always use caution, and a GOOD hat when cutting scrub locust brush...

[Linked Image]

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These two sound like they could be funny but wth does it meen?

"They were doing to sledge hammer by the end of the handle, touching nose, and the hammer slipped." wabigoon

"It is amazing how many guys present w/ a buzzing [bleep] above the Iliac Crest, must be a Vegas thing." mike r

I can explain one of them....
A display of skill and strength is to grasp a sledge hammer at the very base of the shaft, them swing it up and over your own head, and down until it touches your own nose. Then, reverse the motion, and swing it back to the floor in an arc away from your face. (Thia is all done one handed)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by kellory

"They were doing to sledge hammer by the end of the handle, touching nose, and the hammer slipped." wabigoon

A display of skill and strength is to grasp a sledge hammer at the very base of the shaft, them swing it up and over your own head, and down until it touches your own nose. Then, reverse the motion, and swing it back to the floor in an arc away from your face. (Thia is all done one handed)

The way we always did it was by grabbing the end of the handle and extending your arm straight in front of you with the sledgehammer pointing up and slowly lowering it till the head touched your nose then raising it vertical again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
12 year old childhood aquaintance was touching a truck that hit power lines or used a pole to lift wires. Cant remember the details now. He died. He was a good kid.

Kid near here died several years ago when He was about to hook up a trailer, and His Dad's truck had a CB antenna touching an electric wire. A good friend of mine died at Seventeen when He met a semi, in a curve and the load of steel broke loose and piled over on his car. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Originally Posted by kellory

The way we always did it was by grabbing the end of the handle and extending your arm straight in front of you with the sledgehammer pointing up and slowly lowering it till the head touched your nose then raising it vertical again.

That is the way it is done.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have been the cause of several weird injuries.

Some kids wanted to wrestle at a house party in college. They would not leave it alone. One kid's ankle got stuck in a box spring and broke when I pulled him out.

Another kid broke his shoulder when I picked him up and gently set him back down.

One kid broke his sternum when he tried wake me up while screaming there was a fire in the dorm. There was no fire.

Another kid broke his sternum when he asked me to pop his back during a break while playing music.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender
[Linked Image]
There's story here. wink

It's easy enough to post the pic from my phone. Any more than a snarky 0ne-liner and I need a real keyboard.

The pic shows why one must be careful messing with teenaged sons.

I don't remember how it started, but my 17 yo son and I were in the kitchen and there was an exchange of water that progressed to spraying mouthfuls then a cupful. i grabbed a bigger cup and the kid pulled the coffee carafe out of the machine. He filled it at the laundry sink and ran into the garage. I locked the door and prepped my assault.

When I suddenly opened the door, we simultaneously threw water. My cup hit the carafe which shattered and sliced my hand. It was something like 17 stitches to close.

The beotch was that I was re-shingling my roof and the the darn thing would keep leaking.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Stuff like that always happens at the worst possible time...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a Skill saw that the trigger was going bad in but I kept putting it off untill one day when I was holding it in my off hand and handing a block up to my partner without so much as a finger in the trigger guard it fired up all by it's lonesome and buried the blade about an inch into my thigh.

To add insult to injury the nurse cut the leg off of my brand new pair of Wranglers. frown

Oh yea.......I changed the trigger the next morning.

PS.......back in those days everyone took the guards off of their saws. Still don't have one on mine to this day.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 06/17/17.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Back in 2010 we were on a hunting trip in Idaho and I was unloading stuff from the back of my Suburban and jammed the top of my head into where the roof takes a step down on the inside. I heard something crunch in my neck and damn near made me pass out. Two MRI's, lots of physical therapy, and years of chiropractor visits and my neck has never been the same since.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by kingston
So far Ringman, a gallon of gasoline, and a lighter are in the lead and by a goodly margin..

Cough, cough. When this picture and story came out I saved it knowing I could some day pull it out for just such an occasion. To date it's the oddest one off trip to the hospital I've ran across. I'll admit to laughing uncontrollably at the time. I'll relay the story as best I can remember. Apparently said victim and friends were hunting porcupines and had scored on a couple that were out and about. Came across a porky den tree and verified there was indeed the venerable and elusive quarry perched well above, inside.

Came up with the game plan that one brave soul would lay on his back and scoot in the hollow at the bottom of the den tree and shoot the porcupine. The good buddies along at the time worried about the boys safety and all, thought ahead enough to have someone reach in and hold his ears while he aimed and pulled the trigger. But apparently they all skipped school the day the law of gravity was discussed.

[Linked Image]

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
A co-worker's adopted son hung his personals on the hook of a tether ball apparatus, sliding down the pole.
Another friend got a shingle nail shot into his shoulder when a co-worker slapped a red wasp that had landed there -- with the nail gun!!

Last edited by agazain; 06/17/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Damn.

Bet he won't lay under a falling porcupine again! laugh

Lucky it didn't take both his eyes out. Thank God!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Safety harness injury, don't know the guy but I bet it smarted.
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad261/ronnieg97866/Nuts/IMG_7618_zps7atyxzie.jpg
Ronnie

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Damn.

Bet he won't lay under a falling porcupine again! laugh

Lucky it didn't take both his eyes out. Thank God!

I would guess that took anesthesia to get them pulled. 100 needles or so stuck in your forehead with barbs on them would not be fun. I pulled enough out of dogs already to know you can virtually feel them with a pliers grabbing and tearing flesh on the way out.

Poor guy probably figured on getting out of the way but with laying on his back with his arms inside the hole, the ability to scoot out of the would've been a no go, and apparently nobody thought enough to grab him by the legs and yank him out when he shot. Lol. You are right about his eyes, first thing I thought of when I first seen the picture. Could've been bad.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 56 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,929
Posts18,518,914
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.