Home
I'd like to do some winter camping this year and have read as much information as my small brain can take in for now concerning the safety of running one of these all night in a tent. What I can conclude is, it will either kill you or it won't. I realize that I would need to vent the tent and a battery powered carbon monoxide detector is a good idea and keeping it away from flammable objects would also be necessary, but I would just like some actual users to tell me how this has worked for them. The campfire always seems to be a place where people have some actual experience with these kinds of things so I was just wondering if anybody could share their experiences. Thanks.
I used to run one when I camped in the bed of my truck on hunting trips. Left it down by the tailgate, and kept the side vents open toward the front. Never felt any ill effects, but like you, everyone I talked to seemed to think it was going to kill me.
Why take the risk.
I just use a warm sleeping bag and turn mine on for a few minutes to warm up the tent before I slip into some clothes. I wouldn't try to sleep with one running all night.
I have used them while we slept in a van during deer season. We use the bigger one in our pop-up camper during deer season and I use one in my golf cart that has a full cover all winter long.

They have an oxygen sensor that will turn off if the level gets down below a certain percent.
About that venting...without adequate air, they don't burn clean and that's where the danger is. They don't need the vent to get rid of exhaust, they need it to bring in fresh air for combustion. If the propane doesn't burn clean, it will contain CO. An air vent near the floor will draw in air better than a high one as the warm air rises.

I use a Big Buddy in my camp trailer. I have run it all night on low but only need it when the temp gets below about 25 outside. I have it on a hose from the main line rather than using disposable bottles. Buddy Heaters have an oxygen depletion shut-offs that shut it down if the O2 gets too low for a clean burn. They also make a version that meets the regulations in MA and Canada, whatever they are. I couldn't find out what the difference is.

On another forum, a guy having problems with his Buddy Heater got a letter from MR Heater saying that some propane companies use an additive that can cause headaches. They don't say what the additives are or what they do.
The danger is when used in a space without proper ventilation, the heater consumes all the oxygen, therefore leaving none for you.

Just don't do it. Even if there is the slightest question about proper ventilation.
We used one in a five man tent on a couple elk hunts in near zero degree weather. Just two occupants in the tent As mentioned earlier, we only used it a 1/2 hour in the morning to knock the chill off as we crawled out of the sleeping bags. In a pack in situation, they will eat propane bottles quickly. We carried about ten bottles in on the pack horses for five days to run the heater, lantern, and cook stove. And of course had to carry the empty bottles out

In less severe cold weather, one can gain a surprising amount of warmth from a propane or kerosene lantern in a small space. I have a small single mantle propane hurricane lantern which I run through the night in the tent. It will not melt the snow off the top of the tent, so we do not lose that insulation or get water seepage. But it will bring the temperature up several degrees inside the tent.

Another thing to keep in mind with any propane burning appliance in tight quarters, they do produce a lot of water vapor in the exhaust. A sustained propane flame can saturate the interior of the tent or camper without proper ventilation..
On another forum, a guy having problems with his Buddy Heater got a letter from MR Heater saying that some propane companies use an additive that can cause headaches. They don't say what the additives are or what they do.

Here are some LPG additives that you might run into in bulk propane:

Propane Gas Additives

PRO 2000-E (TM)
LPG MULTI-FUNCTION ENGINE FUEL ADDITIVE PRO 2000-E is a blend of chemical compounds including detergents, polar solvents, and a group of compounds that function as a combustion improver. PRO 2000-E contains no heavy metals. PRO 2000-E is a necessity when operating today's new generation liquid and vapor injected forklift and automobile engines. LPG additives
- PRO 2000-E Testimonials
PRO 2000-C (TM)
PRO 2000-CALORIC is a balanced compound consisting of an organic dispersant and emulsifier and a highly effective combustion improving catalyst suspended in a pure hydrocarbon solvent. Propane additives
- PRO 2000-C Testimonials

PRO 2000-T (TM)
PRO 2000 FUEL GAS is a reliable and economical fuel gas for cutting, heating and brazing operations. The performance of PRO 2000 FUEL GAS is comparable to acetylene yet safer with a high flow rate capacity. Fuel Gas Additives

PRO 2000-V (TM)
PRO 2000-V treated LPG will save the industrial customer or homeowner money. It's vaporization improver and combustion improver along with detergents make Pro 2000-V treated LPG a worry free fuel for the consumer and saves up to 9 percent in heating costs. Pro 2000-V is also valuable to the industrial heating industry, because it keeps vaporizers, regulators, burners and nozzles clean and on the job. LPG Additives
Originally Posted by mudhen
I just use a warm sleeping bag and turn mine on for a few minutes to warm up the tent before I slip into some clothes. I wouldn't try to sleep with one running all night.

+1

why take a chance.
Worst case scenario, you die.

Follow your heart.

Dave.

PS-People here sit in their ice shack all winter with one running. Nobody dies but they sure get drunk.
Tag
Originally Posted by dale06
Why take the risk.

I agree. Every year in Colorado a few hunters and campers wipe out their entire group with CO. A decent -20 degree bag is about $150.00.

The way to go, a wall tent with a wood stove. Warm and much safer.
I use them in a tent with a 20LB tank.So far I have woke up in the morning.Most tents are porous enough to let in plenty of air.They sure beat the old catalytic white gas heaters.Those suckers stunk.
Originally Posted by TAGLARRY
Why take the risk.

I agree. Every year in Colorado a few hunters and campers wipe out their entire group with CO. A decent -20 degree bag is about $150.00.

Every year?

Dave
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
About that venting...without adequate air, they don't burn clean and that's where the danger is. They don't need the vent to get rid of exhaust, they need it to bring in fresh air for combustion. If the propane doesn't burn clean, it will contain CO. An air vent near the floor will draw in air better than a high one as the warm air rises. and an additional high vent, paired with the low vent, will aid in ventilation.

I use a Big Buddy in my camp trailer. I have run it all night on low but only need it when the temp gets below about 25 outside. I have it on a hose from the main line rather than using disposable bottles. Buddy Heaters have an oxygen depletion shut-offs that shut it down if the O2 gets too low for a clean burn. They also make a version that meets the regulations in MA and Canada, whatever they are. I couldn't find out what the difference is.

On another forum, a guy having problems with his Buddy Heater got a letter from MR Heater saying that some propane companies use an additive that can cause headaches. They don't say what the additives are or what they do. probably CO laugh

just added a suggestion
Originally Posted by deflave
Why take the risk.

Every year?

Dave

I never understand why a few members of this site peruse the forum with the sole intention of picking apart other people's posts.
I've used a heater buddy multiple times in a tent.

My tent was the 3 season type however with the mesh top and rainfly so air circulation was the least of my worries. On 750? Half - whatever the setting the tent would be comfortable except for maybe the occasional wind blast. A small propane tank would run about 3 hours. I'm guessing a 20lb propane tank on that setting would run about 25- 35 hours. I only had the small disposable tanks.

I did have a 0 degree sleeping bag and a fleece liner.

My biggest worry was something flammable brushing up against it and catching on fire.
I have used the one designed for tent camping for five years now. I also use a hose attached to the bottle which I keep outside in case the bottle leaks. My 6 man tent has vents in the top which I leave open and I have never had a problem. Just make sure you purchase the one that is made for camping. Yes it is the most expensive one. One of the best outfitters in CO has used them for their drop camps for several years now for when the hunters use too much wood. The Outfitter called the company and they assured the Outfitter it was safe when used with a vent. As everyone else that uses them has suggested, make sure you open your vents. The tent will stay warm. I have to use it on low, even into the teens during the third season. Two of them keeps my 16X20 outfitters tent warm, for when there are more than two of us. One small bottle will last four days when just used at night. Good luck.
I use one in a pop up ice fishing tent and glad to have it along. Use the Coleman disposable propane bottles, not sure about any additives, don't recall any head ache issues from propane but the beer may have had some effect.
I have used the big buddy with the long hose and a 25 bottle for a long time now indoors.

In a tent, deer blind and my shop. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in my house in interim if my furnace tore up
These heaters are used in fish houses all the time with no troubles. I would advise having some sort of a fresh air inlet but they are pretty safe.
I'd rather be a little cold than a little dead.
My cheapo summer tent leaks enough air to vent. I used a Coleman Blackcat for a few times, now I have the buddy, but haven't used it much yet. A lantern will put off a lot of heat, but also a lot of CO. Buddies do have the sensor in them, so some claim they won't work above 7.000 feet, but mine does, my nephews does
I wouldn't do it.
Nope,use them to take away the extremes.
I'm guessing that most of the negative posts here are from hearing of hunters using the older type of heaters. They've killed quite a few people. The new Buddy's are far safer. They'll shut off at the slightest hint of a problem. I bumped mine with my foot and the tip-over switch shut it off. I had to let it cool before it would relight. They won't produce any CO unless you get low on O2 and the low oxygen sensor prevents that.
Why take the risk.

Every year?

Dave

I never understand why a few members of this site peruse the forum with the sole intention of picking apart other people's posts.

Cause you are full of chit. No body has ever died from a Mr. Buddy. I invite you to prove me wrong...

That said, use in the PM and early AM to knock the chill off, buy a good bag. With ventilation I would run one all night in an emergency, but to plan to do it is poor planning.
If buddy heaters were so dangerous, there would be a million dead ice fishermen every year
I did some searching for CO deaths from portable propane heaters. By far the largest number of deaths has come from the Coleman Focus 15 heater. It was labeled for outside use only but people insisted on using it inside. It had no safety sensors on it.
I failed to find a single death caused by a Buddy Heater with the low oxygen sensor.
I use one on an external tank to heat my shop, sometimes running it on high all day. Hose to external tank under the bay door leaves a small gap for ventilation. Never had any problem, and I know from (industrial) experience what CO poisoning feels like.

We have used it in the camp trailer with a window cracked. Trailer has a CO alarm that gets tested regularly. Never set off the alarm and never shut off for lack of O2. Two 2 lb bottles last the night on low.

Catalytic heaters running all night with a small vent are not what kills. Show me one case that says otherwise. They also aren't the condensation source that you have with open flames. You'll likely see more condensation with indoor cooking with propane than running the catalytic heater all night. The condensation you will see if it's that cold will come from you.
I use one all the time in my camping tent and ice fishing tent. When camping I just use it to take the chill off when getting in at night and when getting up in the AM. I'm more worried about what's near it to catch on fire than the CO2 issue. I know my kids like it when we're hunting and its in the teens in the morning.

I'm sorry for questioning your assertion.

I will now begin to believe everything posted on the internet. Effective immediately.

Thanks,
Born Again 'Flave

Those are supposed to be safe, but I still don't feel comfortable using one all night when asleep. . I get everything warm before getting into my bag, then turn it off. Turn it on 10-15 minutes before getting out of the bag in the AM.
Great responses here! Sounds like lots of success using them in a ventilated area and they are pretty safe, but there's still that little guy on my shoulder that keeps telling me not to wake up dead. Thanks for all of the responses. The campfire is the best!
'flave is on your shoulder?....
Used here in tents solely to knock the chill off. Common sense dictates that continued use of an unvented flame in a closed space is not the brightest of ideas. Like firearm safeties, those oxygen detectors are mechanical devices that can fail. Is one willing to bet their life in such instances? I'm old, but there's still a bunch of sh-t I want to get to.

Use vented wood stoves in our wall tents.
MR Buddy site says they are safe... I'm just gonna say that if they say so, its a big liability.

I wouldn't run one at night, but will in AK in the future in the camper or tent to get up and clothed as the wife isn't so happy when its close to or below freezing in the tent.
rost,

I know they say they are safe, but you should be advised that entire camps of Coloradoans are wiped out every EVERY YEAR.

Stay safe bro,
Travis
I lived in Colorado until I was 10. Still got a soft spot for ol John Denver. He needed you on his shoulder to tell him not to go up in that plane!
Ok now I understand. Maybe it wasn't the heater giving me the headache. Maybe it was the bottle of crown we drink. Man, am I relieved.

What a bunch of worriers. Better not get in your vehicle, you might get in a wreck. Better walk.... crap, can't do that , might get hit.

Common sense isn't so common anymore.
I'd just like to add, that if these heaters are in fact wiping out a camp full of Coloradoans every summer, I'd like them to be air dropped on Colorado.

Clark
They would have to be just the heaters. FAA rules stipulate that no propane bottles be shipped like that.
Originally Posted by 1minute

Unvented will smoke you out...... But at least you don't have to worry about the entire camp being wiped out every year.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
They would have to be just the heaters. FAA rules stipulate that no propane bottles be shipped like that.

Valid point.

Dave
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by 1minute

Unvented will smoke you out...... But at least you don't have to worry about the entire camp being wiped out every year.

I tried one of those unvented wood stoves once.

Sharp really chewed my ass.

Clark
Do I need to cut a hole in my tent to vent my stove? damn don't want to wake up dead in Colorado!
I have used the Buddy heaters for many years on dozens of overnite trips in my icehouse, camptrailers, and several styles of tents, up to 8500 ft elevation.
I always crack open a vent near or on the ceiling. Some, like a wall tent and dome tents, already have mesh or openings in their design.
When heat rises and exits the vents, fresh air is drawn in to replace it. The Big Buddy in my icehouse heats so well on the lowest setting I have to open the roof vent and crack open the door..
Never a problem, with fumes or condensation, and will continue on.
The only headaches, as previously noted, were undoubtedly from the unwise doses of adult beverages, most often noticed in the morning hours.
Originally Posted by irfubar
Do I need to cut a hole in my tent to vent my stove? damn don't want to wake up dead in Colorado!

Better to wake up in Colorado dead, than alive!

Clark
They are great heaters. I own a few. This is what I do.

Get a top notch high quality sleeping bag. They cost $ but you will be warm as toast in them. Keep an empty gatorade bottle near you at night. If you have to take a leak in the middle of the night when the tent is ice cold, do it in the bottle and get rid of it in the morning. About 30 min before you have to get up, fire up the Mr. Buddy heater. It takes no time to warm a tent. Even though it says it can be used indoors, I personally dont. But to warm up a tent right quick, it is an awesome heater. I have mine connected to a large 20lb tank that I keep OUTSIDE the tent. Mr. Buddy also makes extension hoses. I think mine is 12 feet and works great. A 20lb tank lasts forever.
Worst case scenario, you die.

Follow your heart.

Dave.

PS-People here sit in their ice shack all winter with one running. Nobody dies but they sure get drunk.

I've done it many times but take some safety precautions when sleeping/passed out. 99% of the time you're good but occasionally we lose a few folks up here because of CO in their ice shack.
+100 on the drunk part. smile
Originally Posted by Rooster7
These heaters are used in fish houses all the time with no troubles. I would advise having some sort of a fresh air inlet but they are pretty safe.

I use one in a tent-type fish house. The first time either I didn't get the ventilation right or the wind blew the flap closed. After a while I felt really comfortable and like a little nap would be nice. Then I realized what was going on and got fresh air. Not even close but enough to scare the crap out of me.

No way in hell would I run one while I was (intentionally) sleeping.

Since gone mostly to a Fish Trap and still use a little heater though at night a lantern provides plenty of heat.
have used one for years in a tent during Elk, Moose camps. if you have doubts about the safety shutoff/low O2 sensor put it in a car and shut it up. it will go off well before O2 levels get dangerous. my wife was in the tent with me so i wanted to be sure.
You may wake up dead, big risk, I never would go to sleep, be too worried.
There are probably millions of ventless propane heaters in homes all across the USA

The Buddy heaters are essentially the exact same thing.
It says right on the box it is safe to use in a tent....but speculation is so much fun.
They can be used if YOU do the right thing with venting.

If you don't do the venting it could take your eye out.

Thank You and good night. tired
Originally Posted by plainsman456
They can be used if YOU do the right thing with venting.

If you don't do the venting it could take your eye out.

Thank You and good night. tired

Or shut off by it's self.

As usual.....the majority of replies are from those that don't own and haven't even used one.

I run one in my tent but I shut it off before I go to bed and turn it on before I get up

Probably unnecessary but I don't camp in real cold weather anymore and have a good sleeping bag (what kind of an idiot doesn't) so why take a chance on the shut off failing if you don't have to.
I used one last year in a canvas well vented tent for three nights. No problems whatsoever. It was cold, wet, and windy outside. Nice and cozy inside. Great product. Plenty of safety features as already mentioned. I consider myself kinda particular as to safety issues and I have no reservations about this heater.
I've used one in a pop-up camper many times. The main problem I've seen with them is that they dump lots of water into the heated space which will condense and freeze on the inside of the tent. Generous ventilation helps but does not completely solve the problem.
None of my heaters have a low O² shutoff, as if I'd trust my life to it if one did. Like a safety on a firearm, I consider such features as a backup in case I do something stupid.
Get one of those small Honda generators, then you can have elec heat. No worries then
Do any of you have a vent free heater in the house or shop? Those are the same as a Buddy Heater except they aren't portable.
Propane combustion normally produces CO2 and water for exhaust. If the gas-air ratio is off a little, either high or low, combustion is incomplete and CO is produced. A CO detector is a very good idea for both a tent and your home if you have a vent free heater.
If they were deadly there would be thousands and thousands of dead Rver's by now as catalytic heaters are very popular in the RV world.I have owned and used the wave 3/the wave 6 and the wave 8 (which is running right now in my house and has all night long)..I also own the big buddy and the portable buddy, that I use in my Lance camper.If you follow the instructions you will live another day.(laughing)..Crack a window and especially one by your bed and you will be just fine!..I used the big buddy heater in a 10X12 tent and the only problem I had was the moisture it created.When 9-1 happened I was in a tent with the big buddy on low as we scouted for hunting season.

I use the wave 8 in my house when it gets into the 30's at night to keep the heat pump from kicking on the expensive electric furnace before I start using wood, when it's really cold.I crack the window just above the heater and my wife always has the window above our bed cracked..Same way we do it in any of the RV's we have used them in for many many years.There the cat's meow for rving.They use no electricity and consume no battery power unlike the rv furnaces!
rost,

I know they say they are safe, but you should be advised that entire camps of Coloradoans are wiped out every EVERY YEAR.

Stay safe bro,
Travis

Reference your source please.
KC,

Please read the entire thread. You'll find it to be a proven fact.

Dave
I use a catalytic heater in my house whn it just is not cold enough to fire up the wood stove.Sometime I use the big buddy heater with more btu's and like now,I am using a Wave 8 catalytic heater for those not cold enough for a wood stove mornings.

[Linked Image]
I use on in my tent for about ten minutes before getting in my sleeping bag. Knocks off the chill while changing once in my sleeping bag, I turn it off until the morning. Then in the morning, I will simply reach over and turn it on a few minutes before I need to get up. Once I am dressed and ready, I turn it off. No ill effects as of year from years of use.

I do set it on an over-sized tile from a remodel to keep the heater off the floor material in the tent.

We have used them in deer blinds for hours on end without any ill effects as well.
I have a Big Buddy in my camp trailer as the sole heat. I have it on a hose from the bulk tank. I only use it at night to keep the pipes from freezing when the outside temp gets down below 25. If it stays above 25 outside, the camper won't go much below 40. A CO detector is mandatory, of course.
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I have used the Buddy heaters for many years on dozens of overnite trips in my icehouse, camptrailers, and several styles of tents, up to 8500 ft elevation.
I always crack open a vent near or on the ceiling. Some, like a wall tent and dome tents, already have mesh or openings in their design.
When heat rises and exits the vents, fresh air is drawn in to replace it. The Big Buddy in my icehouse heats so well on the lowest setting I have to open the roof vent and crack open the door..
Never a problem, with fumes or condensation, and will continue on.
The only headaches, as previously noted, were undoubtedly from the unwise doses of adult beverages, most often noticed in the morning hours.

I have been investigating these Mr. Heater Buddy heaters ever since this year's gathering in Armijo Springs.

As those of you who attended know, I brought the entire family of four and a Cabela's XWT 12x12 tent, which was both dry (it rained off and on all 3 days) and roomy. The XWT has mesh vents in the ceiling and a full rain fly over that. (The only downside was that this tent is very bulky, but my 18-yo son did the main work of putting it up and down and seemed to enjoy that.)

The one mistake I made was to assume that summer weight sleeping bags would suffice for late July in the mountains. We were all cold at night.

One solution I've found is to pick up several of those $20 Costco down throws that so many rave about on YouTube and use in or out of sleeping bags, in cars, for watching outdoor sports, etc. They are light, but so cheap that one can use two or three together. You can order them online if there isn't a Costco near you. When I wanted them, that is what I did as my ABQ store did not stock them, though now it does.

I do think that a Buddy heater would be even better. However, the Amazon and other sites say that all models may have trouble functioning at over 7000 feet altitude and may shut off. Have any of you experienced that?

The biggest model requires TWO one--pound propane tanks (or, I suppose, a hose and a 20 lb. tank), which seems more than I need even though it is claimed to be portable. OTOH, the Amazon "Best Seller" is the 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Outdoor version, which uses only one of the smaller tanks. Each seems to have the same safety features. Comments?

Final question: The Massachusetts/Canada-legal version, most expensive of all, is described as approved only for outdoor use. Why would anyone want that one, other than to make bureaucrats happy? whistle

Norm
Final question: The Massachusetts/Canada-legal version, most expensive of all, is described as approved only for outdoor use. Why would anyone want that one, other than to make bureaucrats happy?
I suspect that the difference with the MA and Canada versions is an 'outside only' sticker on them. MA doesn't allow vent free heaters in bedrooms. They likely consider a tent to be a bedroom. CA doesn't allow vent free heaters anywhere.

Here's a rundown of state regulations: REGULATIONS
I run a portable big buddy heater in my tent on colder trips. Even on low setting, it does a nice job of keeping the tent relatively comfortable (45 to 50 degrees or so).

I make sure I have cross ventilation high and low in tent. Opening a window on one side isn't enough, IMO. I like to have a window flap opened up near each sleeper's head and pinned back with spring clamps so there is no chance of flapping or getting sucked closed in the wind.

I also run two CO alarms in the tent. A dedicated CO alarm, and a combo CO / Smoke alarm. Combo smoke / CO gets pinned at the top of the tent, the other CO gets pinned at head / cot level somewhere in the tent.

Cross ventilation and two CO alarms (tested nightly before sack time). Short of using both of those, you're taking unnecessary chances. Alarms are cheap.
Daver do the same
The biggest model requires TWO one--pound propane tanks (or, I suppose, a hose and a 20 lb. tank), which seems more than I need even though it is claimed to be portable. OTOH, the Amazon "Best Seller" is the 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Outdoor version, which uses only one of the smaller tanks. Each seems to have the same safety features. Comments?

I have both!..The big buddy has two places for portable/thow away 1# tanks or on the one side there is a quick connect fitting for a larger tank.I use a 10 and 25 gallon tank when out in cold for a long time like hunting...The little buddy or now called the portable buddy is exactly the same except it only has one burner and one place for a throw away tank.I bought the hose to an extenernal tank for it and had nothing but issues trying to plumb it into my camper...The problem was and is the little buddy heater already has a regulator where you screw in the bottle so I was running it through two regulators...I ran it direct to the tank and it works like a charm.

The features are the same on both..
Originally Posted by logcutter

I have both!..The big buddy has two places for portable/thow away 1# tanks or on the one side there is a quick connect fitting for a larger tank.I use a 10 and 25 gallon tank when out in cold for a long time like hunting...The little buddy or now called the portable buddy is exactly the same except it only has one burner and one place for a throw away tank.I bought the hose to an extenernal tank for it and had nothing but issues trying to plumb it into my camper...The problem was and is the little buddy heater already has a regulator where you screw in the bottle so I was running it through two regulators...I ran it direct to the tank and it works like a charm.

That's good to know. I just picked up a Little Buddy not long ago
Originally Posted by logcutter

I also have both with hoses for bulk tanks.
The big buddy's hose cost three times what the small one does due to the attached regulator which recently quit working. The little one works fine for my needs and I have no desire to pay $35 for a new one so I'm just going to sell the big one.

I understand your frustration trying to figure out the problem running the little one off your camper.
Sounds like something I would do.
KC,

Please read the entire thread. You'll find it to be a proven fact.

Dave

Dave:

I have read the entire thread. I see nothing to support your assertion that "entire camps of Coloradoans are wiped out every year." In fact I have yet to read even one verified factual report that anyone has died as a result of using Buddy Heaters. You ought to have some facts before you make such provocative statements.

KC

KC,

You can't read very well.

Try again.

Dave

I'm done with this pointless discussion.
I'd use one to take the chill off but for true tent heating I use a Nu-Way.

http://nuwaystove.com/product-category/propane-stove/
KC,

You can't read very well.

Try again.

Dave

We're gonna have to type s l o w e l y for him. laugh
I also have a buddy heater, and use a small bulk tank and hose, designed for tailgaitting. (3 gal) it holds more gas than I will use in a deer blind during a 4 day hunt, and it is 12lbs. However, (as per the manufacturer) if you use a hose feed, you must have a filter on the heater end of that hose. (No, it ain't in the literature) but rubber hose leach oil in the presence of propane, when under pressure. This fills up the regulator and plugs it. (I know, because mine had to be replaced, per the factory. They sent me the parts, and I did the swap, and once done, it worked fine again. The filters are cheap (@$15 IIRC) and will prevent a reoccourance. (Just swap filters when they plug up)
Originally Posted by kellory
I also have a buddy heater, and use a small bulk tank and hose, designed for tailgaitting. (3 gal) it holds more gas than I will use in a deer blind during a 4 day hunt, and it is 12lbs. However, (as per the manufacturer) if you use a hose feed, you must have a filter on the heater end of that hose. (No, it ain't in the literature) but rubber hose leach oil in the presence of propane, when under pressure. This fills up the regulator and plugs it. (I know, because mine had to be replaced, per the factory. They sent me the parts, and I did the swap, and once done, it worked fine again. The filters are cheap (@$15 IIRC) and will prevent a reoccourance. (Just swap filters when they plug up)

Whether you need the filter depends. If your hose is carrying high pressure, you do. If it's low pressure you don't. Some of the Buddy series have a port to attach a hose from a bulk tank with a regulator. Mine is the Big Buddy which has that. It's attached to a tank with a regulator so the hose is low pressure and I don't need one. If you have a hose hooked to the port where a 1 lb cylinder goes you have a high pressure hose and do need one.
I have a My Buddy factory hose for a big tank, and it does not need a filter. I used it for a season when my wall mount heater broke for my garage. It was pretty amazing how quick the throw away cylinders got used up. The 20 pounder was the way to go.
I also used the my buddy in a popup blind. The pilot flame actually kept the temp up a bit.
The by product of propane combustion is one left over water molecule

The by product of a hydrocarbon combustion is carbon monoxide

Hence tow motors in warehouses and propane floor buffers in schools.
The ones I have will shut off if turned over and have a Oxygen senor which off if there is not enough air. I use it in a cabelas outfitter dome tent 8 man anytime we hunt in the winter.
Originally Posted by hanco
Get one of those small Honda generators, then you can have elec heat. No worries then

And put it in the tent with you so you can take advantage of the heat the engine puts out. grin grin grin
Originally Posted by slumlord

Haven’t we been over this here already?

what's the by product of methane rectal cranial combustion?

pull your head out of your azz
Originally Posted by Seminole39

Hahahahahahahahaha
I've spent 30 some nights in a Cabelas 6 man Guide tent with a buddy heater running to keep the GF warm. We never had an issue. I kept a couple vents open, and made sure nothing was close to the flame. I worried more about fire than CO poisoning, and kept knives close by to cut our way out quickly if we had to.
Originally Posted by mudhen

I use it at night for a few minutes and again in the morning before I slip out of my warm sleeping bag.

But they will shutdown if it senses the the oxygen level is low and stopsimmediately if bumped.
They shut off from lack of oxygen long before a person will. I doubt a non modified one has ever hurt anyone. Ever.
Originally Posted by BossHawg

Hahahahahahahahaha

What's the story on that M60?

Or did you dumb fugks finally figure out your BFF is a dumb fugk?

Clark
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
They shut off from lack of oxygen [YOU HOPE] long before a person will. I doubt a non modified one has ever hurt anyone. Ever.

I've got all kinds of gadgets where a function failed unexpectedly.
I just ordered a version that I have not seen anywhere else, from Cabelas.

It is a Mr. Heater Reconditioned "Hunting Buddy" heater. Instead of the normal heat settings of the small portable Buddy, which are 4,000 and 9,000 BTU, the Hunting Buddy allows 6,000 or 12,000 BTU for a slightly higher price, and instead of red paint has camo. Other features seem to be the same.

The reconditioned version costs $79.99 and has a regular new price of $149.99, so it is $70 cheaper. These are available only via online orders.

I have not seen any independent review of the Hunting Buddy, but presumably they would match those of the other portable one, which Cabela's sells new for $105..

Norm
I read the whole thread and have concluded that Mr Buddy heaters are safe to use anywhere but Colorado.

The something about that Rocky Mountain air that will fry your brains if you use a heater in a tent.

FACT !
Originally Posted by fish head
I read the whole thread and have concluded that Mr Buddy heaters are safe to use anywhere but Colorado.

The something about that Rocky Mountain air that will fry your brains if you use a heater in a tent.

FACT !

It's likely the Colorado smoke. wink
I've not read every post on here, so maybe this has been covered, but if not...

There are lots of permanently installed, non-vented catalytic propane heaters used in homes. Most of my rural OK neighbors have them in their homes. These heaters use the same technology as the Buddy Heater (open face catalytic combustor). People don't generally die from using them. The same goes for Buddy Heaters.

Like this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200664873_200664873
I'm late joining this thread. Short story KIND OF related: A family friend lost his dad and 3 brothers when snow fell off a tree and clogged over a smallish chimney in their hunting cabin. The fire was way low and just likely embers. But it burned all the air out of the cabin. They found them after they did not come back from the hunt.

Granted, not a Little Buddy Heater. But the idea is the same.

If I was going to do it, and I won't, then I'd have a CO / O2 monitor alarm hanging at bunk/cot level before I went to sleep.

FACT !

Just fine in a The Wyoming Air. Used one in a Cabelas extreme guide tent for two weeks just North of Dixon. Guess three miles to the south air changes As you cross the border.
out in Wyoming last week, I watched FlyBoyFlem, his son, and Local Dirt sleep in a big tent with one of those Mr. Buddy heaters. They ran it all the time, and did not die. I thought about bringing mine, but decided not to. Wish I had on the several mornings when it froze. I have used mine in my 6 man Eureka Outfitter tent. I always set it on a 24x24 inch tile when I fire it up. I don't recall ever running it all night long though. I turn it off, and re light it in the morning when I take the first pee call about 4 am.
I rented one of those little Scamp trailers for deer season one year and the guy said that the wall heater might not work so he gave me a 1000 watt portable generator for my electric heater if need be. He was right because the heater didn't work, so I figured what the heck I'll just use the generator. Do you know what a 1000 watt generator does with a 1500 watt heater? Absolutely nothing. Okay my back up plan was to use the 20 pound tank and that cone shaped gas heater. Along about an hour in I was getting a headache when I was getting ready for supper. I tried to light the gas stove and I could not even flame a wooden match!!! Coldest deer season that I ever spent in my life. I use a bigger generator with a long cord and that 1500 watt ceramic heater and that works great. No more non-vented gas heaters for this guy.

FACT !

Spot on. So a wise word to all readers of this thread: stay out of Colorado!!!

Really, please! It's getting way too crowded. frown

Here's a hint, Slumlord: Propane is a hydrocarbon, but not all hydrocarbons are propane.
I spent 3 nights with a Buddy in a 4 man tent with FlyboyFlem and his son and I can tell you it makes it very comfortable. Spent the 1st night in a Eureka 2 man tent. It rained and was cold and I was wet. Basically? Sucked! Moved in with Woody and son the second night and as I told Woody, felt like I was staying at the Ritz Carlton.

We had 2 vents that we would play with and left the bottom zipper un-closed on the door. Slept like logs. Nice and crispy. You are certainly not going to burn yourself up if you don't set anything flammable next to it. Woke up the third morning with the door handles frozen on the trucks. Didn't affect us at all.

Only caveat was - Don't let them get wet or moisture on the heating element. Keith was struggling heavily with one in the cook tent one night that got wet.

Highly recommend if you're camping in cold.
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
I'm late joining this thread. Short story KIND OF related: A family friend lost his dad and 3 brothers when snow fell off a tree and clogged over a smallish chimney in their hunting cabin. The fire was way low and just likely embers. But it burned all the air out of the cabin. They found them after they did not come back from the hunt.

Granted, not a Little Buddy Heater. But the idea is the same.

No, it's not the same.

Originally Posted by Windfall
....Okay my back up plan was to use the 20 pound tank and that cone shaped gas heater. Along about an hour in I was getting a headache when I was getting ready for supper. I tried to light the gas stove and I could not even flame a wooden match!!! Coldest deer season that I ever spent in my life. I use a bigger generator with a long cord and that 1500 watt ceramic heater and that works great. No more non-vented gas heaters for this guy.

Also not the same.
I have known a couple of people that have died using propane tent heaters of the catalytic type. I have a tent trailer that I use a buddy heater in and it also has a portable carbon monoxide detector as well as I am not taking a chance. Get the detector they are cheap insurance.
I love using mine. Adds excitement to the hunt. In addition to wondering if lll shoot an elk in the morning, I also get to wonder if I’ll wake up.

Seriously though, used one several times with no issues.
© 24hourcampfire