-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used the big buddy with the long hose and a 25 bottle for a long time now indoors.

In a tent, deer blind and my shop. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in my house in interim if my furnace tore up

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
These heaters are used in fish houses all the time with no troubles. I would advise having some sort of a fresh air inlet but they are pretty safe.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd rather be a little cold than a little dead.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My cheapo summer tent leaks enough air to vent. I used a Coleman Blackcat for a few times, now I have the buddy, but haven't used it much yet. A lantern will put off a lot of heat, but also a lot of CO. Buddies do have the sensor in them, so some claim they won't work above 7.000 feet, but mine does, my nephews does

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I wouldn't do it.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Nope,use them to take away the extremes.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm guessing that most of the negative posts here are from hearing of hunters using the older type of heaters. They've killed quite a few people. The new Buddy's are far safer. They'll shut off at the slightest hint of a problem. I bumped mine with my foot and the tip-over switch shut it off. I had to let it cool before it would relight. They won't produce any CO unless you get low on O2 and the low oxygen sensor prevents that.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TAGLARRY
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by dale06
Why take the risk.

I agree. Every year in Colorado a few hunters and campers wipe out their entire group with CO. A decent -20 degree bag is about $150.00.

The way to go, a wall tent with a wood stove. Warm and much safer.

Every year?

Dave

I never understand why a few members of this site peruse the forum with the sole intention of picking apart other people's posts.

Cause you are full of chit. No body has ever died from a Mr. Buddy. I invite you to prove me wrong...

That said, use in the PM and early AM to knock the chill off, buy a good bag. With ventilation I would run one all night in an emergency, but to plan to do it is poor planning.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If buddy heaters were so dangerous, there would be a million dead ice fishermen every year

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I did some searching for CO deaths from portable propane heaters. By far the largest number of deaths has come from the Coleman Focus 15 heater. It was labeled for outside use only but people insisted on using it inside. It had no safety sensors on it.
I failed to find a single death caused by a Buddy Heater with the low oxygen sensor.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use one on an external tank to heat my shop, sometimes running it on high all day. Hose to external tank under the bay door leaves a small gap for ventilation. Never had any problem, and I know from (industrial) experience what CO poisoning feels like.

We have used it in the camp trailer with a window cracked. Trailer has a CO alarm that gets tested regularly. Never set off the alarm and never shut off for lack of O2. Two 2 lb bottles last the night on low.

Catalytic heaters running all night with a small vent are not what kills. Show me one case that says otherwise. They also aren't the condensation source that you have with open flames. You'll likely see more condensation with indoor cooking with propane than running the catalytic heater all night. The condensation you will see if it's that cold will come from you.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use one all the time in my camping tent and ice fishing tent. When camping I just use it to take the chill off when getting in at night and when getting up in the AM. I'm more worried about what's near it to catch on fire than the CO2 issue. I know my kids like it when we're hunting and its in the teens in the morning.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I never understand why a few members of this site peruse the forum with the sole intention of picking apart other people's posts.

I'm sorry for questioning your assertion.

I will now begin to believe everything posted on the internet. Effective immediately.

Thanks,
Born Again 'Flave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Those are supposed to be safe, but I still don't feel comfortable using one all night when asleep. . I get everything warm before getting into my bag, then turn it off. Turn it on 10-15 minutes before getting out of the bag in the AM.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Great responses here! Sounds like lots of success using them in a ventilated area and they are pretty safe, but there's still that little guy on my shoulder that keeps telling me not to wake up dead. Thanks for all of the responses. The campfire is the best!

Elkslayer53
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'flave is on your shoulder?....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used here in tents solely to knock the chill off. Common sense dictates that continued use of an unvented flame in a closed space is not the brightest of ideas. Like firearm safeties, those oxygen detectors are mechanical devices that can fail. Is one willing to bet their life in such instances? I'm old, but there's still a bunch of sh-t I want to get to.

Use vented wood stoves in our wall tents.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/01/17.

1Minute
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
MR Buddy site says they are safe... I'm just gonna say that if they say so, its a big liability.

I wouldn't run one at night, but will in AK in the future in the camper or tent to get up and clothed as the wife isn't so happy when its close to or below freezing in the tent.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
rost,

I know they say they are safe, but you should be advised that entire camps of Coloradoans are wiped out every EVERY YEAR.

Stay safe bro,
Travis

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 10ring1, 270cowboy, 45 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.