Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I'd like to do some winter camping this year and have read as much information as my small brain can take in for now concerning the safety of running one of these all night in a tent. What I can conclude is, it will either kill you or it won't. I realize that I would need to vent the tent and a battery powered carbon monoxide detector is a good idea and keeping it away from flammable objects would also be necessary, but I would just like some actual users to tell me how this has worked for them. The campfire always seems to be a place where people have some actual experience with these kinds of things so I was just wondering if anybody could share their experiences. Thanks.

Elkslayer53

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I used to run one when I camped in the bed of my truck on hunting trips. Left it down by the tailgate, and kept the side vents open toward the front. Never felt any ill effects, but like you, everyone I talked to seemed to think it was going to kill me.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Why take the risk.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just use a warm sleeping bag and turn mine on for a few minutes to warm up the tent before I slip into some clothes. I wouldn't try to sleep with one running all night.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have used them while we slept in a van during deer season. We use the bigger one in our pop-up camper during deer season and I use one in my golf cart that has a full cover all winter long.

They have an oxygen sensor that will turn off if the level gets down below a certain percent.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
About that venting...without adequate air, they don't burn clean and that's where the danger is. They don't need the vent to get rid of exhaust, they need it to bring in fresh air for combustion. If the propane doesn't burn clean, it will contain CO. An air vent near the floor will draw in air better than a high one as the warm air rises.

I use a Big Buddy in my camp trailer. I have run it all night on low but only need it when the temp gets below about 25 outside. I have it on a hose from the main line rather than using disposable bottles. Buddy Heaters have an oxygen depletion shut-offs that shut it down if the O2 gets too low for a clean burn. They also make a version that meets the regulations in MA and Canada, whatever they are. I couldn't find out what the difference is.

On another forum, a guy having problems with his Buddy Heater got a letter from MR Heater saying that some propane companies use an additive that can cause headaches. They don't say what the additives are or what they do.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The danger is when used in a space without proper ventilation, the heater consumes all the oxygen, therefore leaving none for you.

Just don't do it. Even if there is the slightest question about proper ventilation.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
We used one in a five man tent on a couple elk hunts in near zero degree weather. Just two occupants in the tent As mentioned earlier, we only used it a 1/2 hour in the morning to knock the chill off as we crawled out of the sleeping bags. In a pack in situation, they will eat propane bottles quickly. We carried about ten bottles in on the pack horses for five days to run the heater, lantern, and cook stove. And of course had to carry the empty bottles out

In less severe cold weather, one can gain a surprising amount of warmth from a propane or kerosene lantern in a small space. I have a small single mantle propane hurricane lantern which I run through the night in the tent. It will not melt the snow off the top of the tent, so we do not lose that insulation or get water seepage. But it will bring the temperature up several degrees inside the tent.

Another thing to keep in mind with any propane burning appliance in tight quarters, they do produce a lot of water vapor in the exhaust. A sustained propane flame can saturate the interior of the tent or camper without proper ventilation..

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
On another forum, a guy having problems with his Buddy Heater got a letter from MR Heater saying that some propane companies use an additive that can cause headaches. They don't say what the additives are or what they do.

Here are some LPG additives that you might run into in bulk propane:

Propane Gas Additives

PRO 2000-E (TM)
LPG MULTI-FUNCTION ENGINE FUEL ADDITIVE PRO 2000-E is a blend of chemical compounds including detergents, polar solvents, and a group of compounds that function as a combustion improver. PRO 2000-E contains no heavy metals. PRO 2000-E is a necessity when operating today's new generation liquid and vapor injected forklift and automobile engines. LPG additives
- PRO 2000-E Testimonials
PRO 2000-C (TM)
PRO 2000-CALORIC is a balanced compound consisting of an organic dispersant and emulsifier and a highly effective combustion improving catalyst suspended in a pure hydrocarbon solvent. Propane additives
- PRO 2000-C Testimonials

PRO 2000-T (TM)
PRO 2000 FUEL GAS is a reliable and economical fuel gas for cutting, heating and brazing operations. The performance of PRO 2000 FUEL GAS is comparable to acetylene yet safer with a high flow rate capacity. Fuel Gas Additives

PRO 2000-V (TM)
PRO 2000-V treated LPG will save the industrial customer or homeowner money. It's vaporization improver and combustion improver along with detergents make Pro 2000-V treated LPG a worry free fuel for the consumer and saves up to 9 percent in heating costs. Pro 2000-V is also valuable to the industrial heating industry, because it keeps vaporizers, regulators, burners and nozzles clean and on the job. LPG Additives

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudhen
I just use a warm sleeping bag and turn mine on for a few minutes to warm up the tent before I slip into some clothes. I wouldn't try to sleep with one running all night.

+1

why take a chance.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Worst case scenario, you die.

Follow your heart.

Dave.

PS-People here sit in their ice shack all winter with one running. Nobody dies but they sure get drunk.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Tag

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by dale06
Why take the risk.

I agree. Every year in Colorado a few hunters and campers wipe out their entire group with CO. A decent -20 degree bag is about $150.00.

The way to go, a wall tent with a wood stove. Warm and much safer.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I use them in a tent with a 20LB tank.So far I have woke up in the morning.Most tents are porous enough to let in plenty of air.They sure beat the old catalytic white gas heaters.Those suckers stunk.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TAGLARRY
Why take the risk.

I agree. Every year in Colorado a few hunters and campers wipe out their entire group with CO. A decent -20 degree bag is about $150.00.

Every year?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
About that venting...without adequate air, they don't burn clean and that's where the danger is. They don't need the vent to get rid of exhaust, they need it to bring in fresh air for combustion. If the propane doesn't burn clean, it will contain CO. An air vent near the floor will draw in air better than a high one as the warm air rises. and an additional high vent, paired with the low vent, will aid in ventilation.

I use a Big Buddy in my camp trailer. I have run it all night on low but only need it when the temp gets below about 25 outside. I have it on a hose from the main line rather than using disposable bottles. Buddy Heaters have an oxygen depletion shut-offs that shut it down if the O2 gets too low for a clean burn. They also make a version that meets the regulations in MA and Canada, whatever they are. I couldn't find out what the difference is.

On another forum, a guy having problems with his Buddy Heater got a letter from MR Heater saying that some propane companies use an additive that can cause headaches. They don't say what the additives are or what they do. probably CO laugh

just added a suggestion

Last edited by keith_dunlap; 10/01/17.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by TAGLARRY
Why take the risk.

Every year?

Dave

I never understand why a few members of this site peruse the forum with the sole intention of picking apart other people's posts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used a heater buddy multiple times in a tent.

My tent was the 3 season type however with the mesh top and rainfly so air circulation was the least of my worries. On 750? Half - whatever the setting the tent would be comfortable except for maybe the occasional wind blast. A small propane tank would run about 3 hours. I'm guessing a 20lb propane tank on that setting would run about 25- 35 hours. I only had the small disposable tanks.

I did have a 0 degree sleeping bag and a fleece liner.

My biggest worry was something flammable brushing up against it and catching on fire.

Last edited by KFWA; 10/01/17.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have used the one designed for tent camping for five years now. I also use a hose attached to the bottle which I keep outside in case the bottle leaks. My 6 man tent has vents in the top which I leave open and I have never had a problem. Just make sure you purchase the one that is made for camping. Yes it is the most expensive one. One of the best outfitters in CO has used them for their drop camps for several years now for when the hunters use too much wood. The Outfitter called the company and they assured the Outfitter it was safe when used with a vent. As everyone else that uses them has suggested, make sure you open your vents. The tent will stay warm. I have to use it on low, even into the teens during the third season. Two of them keeps my 16X20 outfitters tent warm, for when there are more than two of us. One small bottle will last four days when just used at night. Good luck.

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
I use one in a pop up ice fishing tent and glad to have it along. Use the Coleman disposable propane bottles, not sure about any additives, don't recall any head ache issues from propane but the beer may have had some effect.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,318
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.