-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd use one to take the chill off but for true tent heating I use a Nu-Way.

http://nuwaystove.com/product-category/propane-stove/

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
KC,

You can't read very well.

Try again.

Dave

We're gonna have to type s l o w e l y for him. laugh

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I also have a buddy heater, and use a small bulk tank and hose, designed for tailgaitting. (3 gal) it holds more gas than I will use in a deer blind during a 4 day hunt, and it is 12lbs. However, (as per the manufacturer) if you use a hose feed, you must have a filter on the heater end of that hose. (No, it ain't in the literature) but rubber hose leach oil in the presence of propane, when under pressure. This fills up the regulator and plugs it. (I know, because mine had to be replaced, per the factory. They sent me the parts, and I did the swap, and once done, it worked fine again. The filters are cheap (@$15 IIRC) and will prevent a reoccourance. (Just swap filters when they plug up)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kellory
I also have a buddy heater, and use a small bulk tank and hose, designed for tailgaitting. (3 gal) it holds more gas than I will use in a deer blind during a 4 day hunt, and it is 12lbs. However, (as per the manufacturer) if you use a hose feed, you must have a filter on the heater end of that hose. (No, it ain't in the literature) but rubber hose leach oil in the presence of propane, when under pressure. This fills up the regulator and plugs it. (I know, because mine had to be replaced, per the factory. They sent me the parts, and I did the swap, and once done, it worked fine again. The filters are cheap (@$15 IIRC) and will prevent a reoccourance. (Just swap filters when they plug up)

Whether you need the filter depends. If your hose is carrying high pressure, you do. If it's low pressure you don't. Some of the Buddy series have a port to attach a hose from a bulk tank with a regulator. Mine is the Big Buddy which has that. It's attached to a tank with a regulator so the hose is low pressure and I don't need one. If you have a hose hooked to the port where a 1 lb cylinder goes you have a high pressure hose and do need one.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a My Buddy factory hose for a big tank, and it does not need a filter. I used it for a season when my wall mount heater broke for my garage. It was pretty amazing how quick the throw away cylinders got used up. The 20 pounder was the way to go.
I also used the my buddy in a popup blind. The pilot flame actually kept the temp up a bit.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The by product of propane combustion is one left over water molecule

The by product of a hydrocarbon combustion is carbon monoxide

Hence tow motors in warehouses and propane floor buffers in schools.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The ones I have will shut off if turned over and have a Oxygen senor which off if there is not enough air. I use it in a cabelas outfitter dome tent 8 man anytime we hunt in the winter.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by hanco
Get one of those small Honda generators, then you can have elec heat. No worries then

And put it in the tent with you so you can take advantage of the heat the engine puts out. grin grin grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by slumlord

Haven’t we been over this here already?

"I'll beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. Play for blood, remember?" Doc Holliday
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

what's the by product of methane rectal cranial combustion?

pull your head out of your azz

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Seminole39

Hahahahahahahahaha

"I'll beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. Play for blood, remember?" Doc Holliday
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've spent 30 some nights in a Cabelas 6 man Guide tent with a buddy heater running to keep the GF warm. We never had an issue. I kept a couple vents open, and made sure nothing was close to the flame. I worried more about fire than CO poisoning, and kept knives close by to cut our way out quickly if we had to.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by mudhen
I just use a warm sleeping bag and turn mine on for a few minutes to warm up the tent before I slip into some clothes. I wouldn't try to sleep with one running all night.

I use it at night for a few minutes and again in the morning before I slip out of my warm sleeping bag.

But they will shutdown if it senses the the oxygen level is low and stopsimmediately if bumped.

Ted
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
They shut off from lack of oxygen long before a person will. I doubt a non modified one has ever hurt anyone. Ever.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BossHawg
Originally Posted by Seminole39

Hahahahahahahahaha

What's the story on that M60?

Or did you dumb fugks finally figure out your BFF is a dumb fugk?

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
They shut off from lack of oxygen [YOU HOPE] long before a person will. I doubt a non modified one has ever hurt anyone. Ever.

I've got all kinds of gadgets where a function failed unexpectedly.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just ordered a version that I have not seen anywhere else, from Cabelas.

It is a Mr. Heater Reconditioned "Hunting Buddy" heater. Instead of the normal heat settings of the small portable Buddy, which are 4,000 and 9,000 BTU, the Hunting Buddy allows 6,000 or 12,000 BTU for a slightly higher price, and instead of red paint has camo. Other features seem to be the same.

The reconditioned version costs $79.99 and has a regular new price of $149.99, so it is $70 cheaper. These are available only via online orders.

I have not seen any independent review of the Hunting Buddy, but presumably they would match those of the other portable one, which Cabela's sells new for $105..

Norm

Last edited by Anjin; 10/14/17.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read the whole thread and have concluded that Mr Buddy heaters are safe to use anywhere but Colorado.

The something about that Rocky Mountain air that will fry your brains if you use a heater in a tent.

FACT !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fish head
I read the whole thread and have concluded that Mr Buddy heaters are safe to use anywhere but Colorado.

The something about that Rocky Mountain air that will fry your brains if you use a heater in a tent.

FACT !

It's likely the Colorado smoke. wink

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've not read every post on here, so maybe this has been covered, but if not...

There are lots of permanently installed, non-vented catalytic propane heaters used in homes. Most of my rural OK neighbors have them in their homes. These heaters use the same technology as the Buddy Heater (open face catalytic combustor). People don't generally die from using them. The same goes for Buddy Heaters.

Like this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200664873_200664873

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (204guy, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 222ND, 61 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,588
Posts18,473,420
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.