Home
Posted By: LeroyBeans best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 11/28/17
So the subject title says it all. Looking for a single, locking, stainless bladed folder with a clip. Thin is good. Serrated blades are not.

3-4" blades are prefered. 3.5" would be favorite, but they seem scarce.

I want to say cost is not relevant, but I'm sure someone knows of one that is going to bust the bank. No customs, I want this in real time.

My last, best knife was an Al Mar Eagle, Heavy Duty. Might get another, but maybe someone has a better suggestion.
Fug you.

Liberals are too stupid to own knives.
Posted By: viking Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 11/28/17
Safety blade?
I bought this on ebay for around 70 bucks. Titanium frame. Cocobolo scales. Slicker than cat guts:

[Linked Image]
Boker Plus Urban Trapper Cocobolo Knife 01BO734 - 4.25" closed.
3 3/8" polished VG-10 stainless blade with extended tang. Brown Cocobolo
wood handles. Pocket clip. Liner lock.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Fug you.

🤣🤣🤣
If you are looking for a full-on folding hunting knife with a 4" blade, I just bought this one and it is the cat's meow:

[Linked Image]
Boker Plus Elegant Squail Folding Knife 01BO310

Boker Plus Squail Folding Knife. Model #: 01BO310. The liner locking, 440C stainless steel blade features a generously sized opening, and a fine matte finish which harmonizes perfectly with the matte titanium bolsters.

For a little less money you can get this Victroinox:

[Linked Image]
Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Hunter Pro

[Linked Image]

Boker Plus Caracal Linerlock Knife 01BO771

This one is the most expensive I bought.

[Linked Image]

Benchmade HUNT North Fork Knife 15031-2 Dymondwood Handle S30V Blade Axis Lock
Small Sebenza
Benchmade Griptilian has been very good for me. They make two sizes. The larger one would meet your criteria I believe.

Mark in GA
OkieOrange, Thanks, that is exactly the kind of suggestion I was hoping for.
Posted By: skeen Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 11/28/17
Originally Posted by MarkinGA
Benchmade Griptilian has been very good for me. They make two sizes. The larger one would meet your criteria I believe.

Mark in GA

+1. Great knives.
OrangeOkie,
Does that Trapper have a liner lock/ I can't see anything that says that it has any locking mechanism at all.

The heavier dedicated hunting knife is okay but I want an everyday knife and that's a bit overkill. I avoid knives with blade piercings too. They are PITA to keep clean.

The Griptilian has tempted me before but it looks bulky and I prefer a smoother grip for everyday convenience. As a dedicated hunter, they are great.

The Trapper suggestion lead me to a Boker Plus Burnley Kwaiken. I found a used early one on ebay w/o the flipper thing that I am not fond of, I shot him a low offer and he took it. I don't care for the scales on it right now but can probably replace them with Cocobolo easily enough.

I'm still looking though. That Trapper is intriguing, esp. if it has a locking mechanism of some sort.
Okie, that Boker Urban Trapper is a gorgeous knife.
"Urban Trapper" Lol - nice knife.
This is the golden age of folding knives.
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
OrangeOkie,
Does that Trapper have a liner lock/ I can't see anything that says that it has any locking mechanism at all.

The heavier dedicated hunting knife is okay but I want an everyday knife and that's a bit overkill. I avoid knives with blade piercings too. They are PITA to keep clean.

The Griptilian has tempted me before but it looks bulky and I prefer a smoother grip for everyday convenience. As a dedicated hunter, they are great.

The Trapper suggestion lead me to a Boker Plus Burnley Kwaiken. I found a used early one on ebay w/o the flipper thing that I am not fond of, I shot him a low offer and he took it. I don't care for the scales on it right now but can probably replace them with Cocobolo easily enough.

I'm still looking though. That Trapper is intriguing, esp. if it has a locking mechanism of some sort.

Yes, the Trapper does have a liner lock. It is one of my favorite EDCs. The other knives are all hunting knives (back up to my fixed blades)

$20 kabar dozier

$25 ontario rat II
Fug you.

smirk Thanks Barry

Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I bought this on ebay for around 70 bucks. Titanium frame. Cocobolo scales. Slicker than cat guts:

[Linked Image]
wood handles. Pocket clip.

]

I wish you wouldn't post stuff like that.
Libtard approved

[Linked Image]
OrangeOkie,

Yes, the Trapper does have a liner lock. It is one of my favorite EDCs. The other knives are all hunting knives (back up to my fixed blades)

Well, that about does it. Gotta have one. Call Boker for your commission. I've gone from being one knife down to one knife above where I started. And may not be done yet. These things tend to run in streaks for me.

Thanks again. Perfect suggestions.
Fug you.

This is true although here is an alternative for you Libs.

[Linked Image]
I really like the clipped knives. I find 3 or 4 every fall that come unhinged from someone's pocket as they're 4-wheeling our back roads. First thing I do is remove the clip and give them a good sharpening.
I've carried a Benchmade Grippy for years, but recently bought a Benchmade BugOut (they just recently came out). FOR ME, this is a better EDC than the Grippy. You want thin --- this thing is thin. Great steel, Axis Lock, deep pocket clip, under 2 oz., etc ... I paid $115 for it.
Originally Posted by 1minute
I really like the clipped knives. I find 3 or 4 every fall that come unhinged from someone's pocket as they're 4-wheeling our back roads. First thing I do is remove the clip and give them a good sharpening.

Well good luck on finding my Al Mar. It's in a willow thicket somewhere. First time that has happened to me.
Yup. Lost a nice Spyderco on an airliner once, which tells you how long ago it was. I think it clipped itself to the seatbelt when I got off.
I like Kershaw and benchmade autos
Posted By: JGray Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 11/28/17
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Fug you.

smirk Thanks Barry

[Linked Image]

]

No kidding - this post is going to cost me some money. I've been pretty satisfied with the Kershaw's I've been carrying lately and need another knife like I need another hole in my head, but that Boker is gorgeous...
Someone should buy this one

Kwaiken - nice!

[Linked Image]
My custom left hand folder

[Linked Image]

Some of my favorites, the bottom one is a Case Hunter, the top two are custom made

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1
My custom left hand folder

[Linked Image]

NICE! Who made it and about what does a custom like that run these days?
For those who can't resist...

That Boker
NICE! Who made it and about what does a custom like that run these days?

Dave Ricke from Wisconsin made it, I don't recall the cost
Rocky, I found one on Ebay (actually several) for just under $65 new, incl. shipping.
https://northarmknives.com/product/skaha-folder/

I absolutely love my Skaha folder. Number of videos on YouTube if one was interested in seeing one in action.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

That Boker

That price is the lowest I have seen. Good find!
If you are looking for a full-on folding hunting knife with a 4" blade, I just bought this one and it is the cat's meow:

[Linked Image]
Boker Plus Elegant Squail Folding Knife 01BO310

Boker Plus Squail Folding Knife. Model #: 01BO310. The liner locking, 440C stainless steel blade features a generously sized opening, and a fine matte finish which harmonizes perfectly with the matte titanium bolsters.

For a little less money you can get this Victroinox:

[Linked Image]
Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Hunter Pro

[Linked Image]

Boker Plus Caracal Linerlock Knife 01BO771

This one is the most expensive I bought.

[Linked Image]

Benchmade HUNT North Fork Knife 15031-2 Dymondwood Handle S30V Blade Axis Lock

Been happy with my $10-20 kershaws for years but wife wanted to get me a gift. Sent her link to that BM North Fork. Not sure I'll feel comfortable carrying something that expensive but looks like a nice knife.
If you want a 4" blade get the Grizzly
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
. . .

Been happy with my $10-20 kershaws for years but wife wanted to get me a gift. Sent her link to that BM North Fork. Not sure I'll feel comfortable carrying something that expensive but looks like a nice knife.

If you want a 3.5" blade get the Hunt Grizzly
Posted By: FVA Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 11/28/17
Spyderco Manix 2 in S110V is my current edc. Love the edge holding ability and size though some might find it big
I've been carrying a Benchmade 940 for the last several years with perfect satisfaction.http://www.benchmade.com/940-943-family.html

I'd much rather have a Benchmade 750, which sadly is no longer made. Second choice would be a small Sebenza, but I just can't quite bring myself to pull the trigger on one of those yet. The 750 is widely considered the poor man's Sebenza, which I think is unfair to both of them.

Okie John
Posted By: bugs4 Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 11/28/17
Maybe a CRKT M16 in the smaller configuration. . . . .
Not the best, but if you want a knife with a well shaped blade, decent enough steel to hold and edge and cheap enough you don't mind loosing it, the Kershaw oso sweet is tough to beat. The only knife I've dropped out of my pocked twice, and found again weeks later.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by JGray
Fug you.

smirk Thanks Barry

[Linked Image]

]

No kidding - this post is going to cost me some money. I've been pretty satisfied with the Kershaw's I've been carrying lately and need another knife like I need another hole in my head, but that Boker is gorgeous...

Same here.....I couldn't resist....

https://www.ebay.com/p/Boker-Plus-K...olo-Handle-Brad-Zinker-Design/2256060586

I'm a real traditionalist when it comes to knives so this will be my first clip-on. Hope it doesn't lead to another addiction.

That Boker

That price is the lowest I have seen. Good find!

Here's one a little cheaper......unless I got the last one. smile

I carry a Benchmade CLA automatic..........it’s neat
I'm very satisfied with the inexpensive Kershaw folding knives I've bought in the last few years.
The Chinese steels e.g 8Cr13MoV and the like easily take a very keen edge, are tough and resist corrosion well.
Originally Posted by okie john
I've been carrying a Benchmade 940 for the last several years with perfect satisfaction.http://www.benchmade.com/940-943-family.html

I'd much rather have a Benchmade 750, which sadly is no longer made. Second choice would be a small Sebenza, but I just can't quite bring myself to pull the trigger on one of those yet. The 750 is widely considered the poor man's Sebenza, which I think is unfair to both of them.

Okie John

You can still buy a 750. It's just going to cost you.

A bunch!

BM 750
ZT 0562Carbon Slicer with CTS 204p.
I look over all the great knives here on the Fire, but I needed some thing different, Michigan has finally allowed us to carry a automatic knife (switchblade)
And with my old wore out hands opening a folder is not easy.

I wanted an everyday knife, not a weapon, so with some web browsing I found this knife.

[Linked Image]

Closed or open it looks like an everyday pocket knife.

The thing that sets it apart from most auto knives is there is no apparent button.

A little side ways pressure on the checkered piece
And it opens with a snap.

[Linked Image]

The same move unlocks it to fold it up.
I have carried a Sod Buster Jr. for years and this knife is just a little longer and a little pointier.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This is a very well made knife, solid frame and no wobble or looseness in the blade.

This is a Protech Magic knife
http://www.protechknives.com/knives/switchblades/magic-br-1.asp

I found them at several of the online knife sites, I bought mine from BladeHQ
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Protech-Magic-Whiskers-Automatic--29715

I ordered on a Sunday and it was here on the next Friday, it came in a plain brown box with no indication of what was inside or that it came from a knife shop, a nice touch.

Pro-Tech Knives
Proudly Made in the USA

I like this part too!
Originally Posted by ClaysEtc
I look over all the great knives here on the Fire, but I needed some thing different, Michigan has finally allowed us to carry a automatic knife (switchblade)
And with my old wore out hands opening a folder is not easy.

I wanted an everyday knife, not a weapon, so with some web browsing I found this knife.

[Linked Image]

Closed or open it looks like an everyday pocket knife.
[

That's a damn cool knife. Not sure if it is legal here or not.
That pro-tech looks pretty slick.
Originally Posted by night_owl
I'm very satisfied with the inexpensive Kershaw folding knives I've bought in the last few years.
The Chinese steels e.g 8Cr13MoV and the like easily take a very keen edge, are tough and resist corrosion well.

I gotta say, Kershaw must be the best deal for the money. I had one I really liked even though it was a bit thick and bulky in my pocket for a large folder. Sadly, the clip broke and a replacement is not available.
Kershaw Leek
Here is an interesting brand of knife. They look great, and Japanese steel should be excellent along with the craftsmanship and the price is right, but there is no clip on most of their knives. I've really gotten to liking clips.

Moki Knives

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Kershaw Leek

Got a couple.^^^^^ very nice for EDC
I have three Kershaw liner locks and IMO they are a great value, generally costing in the $20-$30 range depending on what you get and where you buy them. I've tried to like thumb openers but I must be all thumbs because I about slice myself trying to open them. These finger assist Kershaws are great, just use your index finger to get the blade started opening and then swing the blade fully open and locked with a wrist flip.

The Sweet is a true assisted opening knife, get it partially open and a spring does the rest, as close to a switchblade as you can get.

I carry this 1760 Skyline more than anything, it has a good 3.1" drop point blade and is made in USA. It holds an edge well even after cutting up cardboard boxes and is easy to strop back to a good edge quickly. While I wouldn't specifically carry it to a knife fight I'd not feel unarmed if I had to rely on it either.

[Linked Image]

Another good Kershaw which is a little lighter and more slender is their Model 3410 Chill also with a 3.1" blade. It has the Chinese steel but it holds an edge well. I carry this clipped inside the the waist line of a pair of dress slacks at work where it's unobtrusive but still takes care of whatever needs cutting.

[Linked Image]

I guess you have to know what you like (or don't like).

I don't like flippers and I don't like liner locks. If you don't want to spend much money, The Bucklite line is great!!! I was really surprised how their 420HC steel sharpened up and held an edge --- Better than my Benchmade Grippy in D2. My large BuckLite (lockback, thumbstud, pocket clip) was around $25.00. I carry it around the farm and enjoy it a lot.

If you don't mind spending more money, I'd still take a gander at the Benchmade BugOut. I really like mine for EDC when I'm on the road.
Larry, I'm with you on flippers, but I have gotten to where I like liner locks. Just took some getting used to. Some lock-back knives can be very awkward depending on where the locking mechanism is and how much force it requires.

I prefer wood over plastic handles, but I make exceptions from time to time.

The perfect knife may not exist, but that's what keeps me looking and makes it interesting.
Spyderco Paramilitary 2. Hard to go wrong there.
Larry, I'm with you on flippers, but I have gotten to where I like liner locks. Just took some getting used to. Some lock-back knives can be very awkward depending on where the locking mechanism is and how much force it requires.

I prefer wood over plastic handles, but I make exceptions from time to time.

The perfect knife may not exist, but that's what keeps me looking and makes it interesting.

The lockback (to me) is a safer option than the liner lock but isn't my first choice. The Benchmade Axis lock is the cat's meow!

I also thought of the Bug Out because you said you wanted something slim.
If you're having issues with blades closing on liner locks, you either have a crappy example or are doing something seriously wrong with your knife.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
If you're having issues with blades closing on liner locks, you either have a crappy example or are doing something seriously wrong with your knife.

I never had that problem. Just took time to get used to thumbing for it on the other side of the knife, like switching from single to double trigger firearms. Also can be a bit problematic when wearing gloves. But never had issues with it closing prematurely.

I'm not much of a fan of the Benchmade Axis system. But I haven't used one a whole bunch either.
Posted By: rnovi Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/01/17
Fug you.

smirk Thanks Barry

[Linked Image]

]

Same here.....I couldn't resist....

I'm a real traditionalist when it comes to knives so this will be my first clip-on. Hope it doesn't lead to another addiction.

I have one of these with the custom carbon fiber scales. absolutely fantastic EDC knife. Rides so nicely in a pocket it's easy to forget it's there...yet it's just enough knife to handle normal chores. I have no doubt you could skin a deer with it, though there are better tools for the job.

My favorite by a long shot!
That Kwaiken looks uber. Love the VG10 as well. The Moki and Spyderco VG10 I've used has been great.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/01/17
Benchmade anything. But this one is the nicest IMO

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QA9G2W/ref=twister_B01N2PKZGI?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If you want ultra lite

https://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-Bu...=1-1&keywords=benchmade+bugout+knife
Well, I went away to think about it. I yammered with myself, I counted to half a bazillion, then I looked at that Boker Urban Trapper again. And surrendered. One's coming my way.
I gave in much more quickly. Mine will be here soon - I hope.
Well, I went away to think about it. I yammered with myself, I counted to half a bazillion, then I looked at that Boker Urban Trapper again. And surrendered. One's coming my way.

Mine'll be here Monday......we'll compare notes.

What is to compare? They are a mass produced production knife. They are all the same.
We could compare opinions about the mass produced knife - they won't be all the same. smile
Not a clip knife, but the moki MK110 fish owl looks like a nice folder

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs

What is to compare? They are a mass produced production knife. They are all the same.

Do 't take everything so literally Nancy.

PS...."mass produced production knife" is redundant.
That Moki and those two Bokers are super sweet. My Moki fixed blade is my favorite knife. If it had a bit more handle, it’d be perfect. Close enough as is.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
That Moki and those two Bokers are super sweet. My Moki fixed blade is my favorite knife. If it had a bit more handle, it’d be perfect. Close enough as is.

Moki's a real sleeper in the knife world.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Moki's a real sleeper in the knife world.

I'll second that. I'd never heard of them before this thread and stumbled across them on ebay when checking out OrangeOkie's suggestion for the Boker. They certainly look good, but they do not seem to believe in clips.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/02/17
Those Mokis look a lot like the old Kershaw Gentleman’s Folder that they stupidly discontinued. I wouldn’t sell mine for double what I paid for it.
That Moki's AUS8 steel.

Fine BITD, but it's better to move into the 21st century.

Spyderco S110v steel will hold an edge 100x longer.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...-edge-retention-cutting-5-8-rope.793481/

Available in several models.

Pick the one that yanks your chain, and cut to your heart's content.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/02/17
Brother in law picked up one of these. Zero Tolersnce Sinkevich 0450, S35VN steel. Nice knife, but I’ll stick to my old school trappers.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GeoW Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/02/17

As is made in China..
Posted By: 340boy Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/02/17
I don't know much about folders so this thread is very informative.
Posted By: JGray Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/02/17

I didn't count to ten before I weakened and pulled the trigger - mine's enroute also...
Posted By: JGray Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/02/17
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Those Mokis look a lot like the old Kershaw Gentleman’s Folder that they stupidly discontinued. I wouldn’t sell mine for double what I paid for it.

My first thought seeing that Moki also - I'll never let go of my Kershaw Gentleman's Folder...
So the subject title says it all. Looking for a single, locking, stainless bladed folder with a clip. Thin is good. Serrated blades are not.

I want to say cost is not relevant, but I'm sure someone knows of one that is going to bust the bank. No customs, I want this in real time.

My last, best knife was an Al Mar Eagle, Heavy Duty. Might get another, but maybe someone has a better suggestion.

If you need one to slit your throat or cut your wrist...I'd send you mine
you f'khole !
Originally Posted by GeoW

As is made in China..

Where's your computer or toaster or blender or drill motor or screw drivers or underware made?
Originally Posted by Cheesy

My first thought seeing that Moki also - I'll never let go of my Kershaw Gentleman's Folder...

Moki banff fixed blade and Kershaw gentlemans folder. I lost my gentlemans folder but fortunately picked up a replacement before the supply dried up. I agree the banff is a great knife but the handle is sized for small hands.

[Linked Image]
Boker sends me their catalog every few months. In it, they advertise SOLINGEN steel. Several years ago, I bought a fairly expensive Hen & Rooster trapper. The steel was so soft that the knife couldn't be sharpened by any means either I or a butcher friend could figure out; it was worthless ------ Yup, the Hen & Rooster was SOLINGEN steel.

Hope yours are better.
Another vote for the Chris Reeve Small Sebenza. This thing is scary sharp and stays that way. The handle is open in the back and Parkerized or similar so it washes out beautifully and the lock is very positive. The first thing that I did was take off the clip and the lanyard because it goes into a Velcro closure pouch into a Velcro closure pocket sewn into the back of my hunting pack. I've lost knives and some of you have had it happen with the pocket clips.

Neither. Apparently, you somehow got the idea that I was talking about the knife closing accidentally. I wasn't.

I use a knife most days. My other hand might be occupied, I might have leather gloves on, the light might be poor, my hands may be half-frozen or bloody.

I can put a half-frozen, gloved hand, in the dark, on a lock back or (better yet) an Axis lock and never have my thumb/finger, ligaments or blood vessels in the path of the closing blade. Not possible with a liner lock.
Posted By: GeoW Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/03/17

[/quote]As is made in China..

[/quote]

Where's your computer or toaster or blender or drill motor or screw drivers or underware made?[/quote]

If I have a choice it damn sure ain't made in China.
Fug you.

What?
Apparently Leroy has made a name for himself in under 600 posts?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I ordered one of those little Urban Trappers by Boker last year and liked it so well I ordered another. One of mine has the G-10 scales and the other has the scalloped / slotted Ti scales. Great little everyday carry knives for the money, IMO.
I lose my knife every few months,so I keep it cheap,usually a gerber,but most recently a Kershaw 1990 , the brawler

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1990-Brawler-Multifunction-Speedsafe/dp/B005UE6GRC
Posted By: Odessa Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/03/17
Check out the Buck Spitfire; USA made, $51 MSRP, 3-1/4" blade. I've got the Mini-Spitfire, good knife but should have bought the full size.

https://www.buckknives.com/product/spitfire-knife/0722FAM01/
Posted By: RJY66 Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/03/17
Originally Posted by LarryfromBend

Neither. Apparently, you somehow got the idea that I was talking about the knife closing accidentally. I wasn't.

I use a knife most days. My other hand might be occupied, I might have leather gloves on, the light might be poor, my hands may be half-frozen or bloody.

I can put a half-frozen, gloved hand, in the dark, on a lock back or (better yet) an Axis lock and never have my thumb/finger, ligaments or blood vessels in the path of the closing blade. Not possible with a liner lock.

Liner locks I can live with, although I prefer the lock back design. Clips and thumb studs I really hate. The ergos on those suck if you are going to actually use the knife for anything more than sharpening a pencil or opening a package. If you want one handed opening for whatever reason, I'd go with the kinds that have holes in the blades for the thumb catch.

Luckily, in the knife market, there is a seat for every butt and then some.
Well, ain't this just the snitz? I ordered that Boker Friday afternoon, and it was shipped Saturday - from Salt Lake City, 35 miles away. I'll have it tomorrow!
Mine showed up yesterday.
Fit and finish is impeccable and I love the shape of the blade.
It took me a few tries to figure out how to operate the flipper but once I got it I really like it.
It's a keeper....Japanese steel and all.
Mine showed up yesterday.
Fit and finish is impeccable and I love the shape of the blade.
It took me a few tries to figure out how to operate the flipper but once I got it I really like it.
It's a keeper....Japanese steel and all.

Both of my Urban Trappers were razor sharp right out of the box. And I really like the flipper feature once I got used to it.

Link

These little fellas are an amazing value, IMO. Very quality materials and well built. For $35, you can't go wrong. I have a couple as beater knife, and they keep on going. Easy to maintain the edge and they will get hair popping sharp if you want.

Otherwise, my typical EDC is a Benchmade 940. Great knife! But I am eyeballing a few options as I "need" another knife...
Posted By: MOGC Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/04/17
ZT 0450... Titanium frame lock flipper with S35VN.
Posted By: 340boy Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/04/17
Well, ain't this just the snitz? I ordered that Boker Friday afternoon, and it was shipped Saturday - from Salt Lake City, 35 miles away. I'll have it tomorrow!

Sweet. You going to post up a pic of it, Rocky?
Posted By: kenoh2 Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/04/17
My new favorite hunting folder is the Ontario RAT 1. Lightweight, sturdy and holds an edge very well. Just finished field dressing and butchering two deer and the edge feels same as new.

Made of AUS-8 Steel
3.5 inch plain edge blade
Knife Closed Length: 4.5-Inch
Knife Open Length: 8.5-Inch
Weighs 5 ounces
Made in Taiwan

Generally in the $25 to $30 range. The last two I picked up at Walmart on sale for $7 each.
Spyderco Stretch. Mine is the plastic handle, discontinued of course.
They make a g 10 model, it weighs a little more.
When I was shopping I picked this partly because of closedsize to blade length ratio.
It is a 3.5" blade

Indulge your self mutilation habit with a shard off of a broken mayonnaise jar and donate the money you would have spent on a knife to the National Food Stamp Foundation.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Indulge your self mutilation habit with a shard off of a broken Miracle Whip jar and donate the money you would have spent on a knife to the National Food Stamp Foundation.

Fixed it for ya....
Just got it. At first look, it seems like a heckuva nice knife for the price. It's perhaps half an inch too long for a "drop in the pocket" knife, but rides very nicely clipped at the rear edge and hanging inside my pocket. Here it is:

[Linked Image]
$27.24 delivered on Amazon. Made in USA. MAGA!!!!!! I've had one for months—love it.

[Linked Image]
You have a better camera than I do.

[Linked Image]
Pretty snazzy.....
Just an inexpensive Canon point and shoot. SX520 HS four or five years obsolete by now.
Rocky, Can you shave the hair off your arm like Benchmades?
Wait a second...OUCH!

Yes.
Posted By: 340boy Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/05/17
Just got it. At first look, it seems like a heckuva nice knife for the price. It's perhaps half an inch too long for a "drop in the pocket" knife, but rides very nicely clipped at the rear edge and hanging inside my pocket. Here it is:

[Linked Image]

That's a nice looking knife.
Just an inexpensive Canon point and shoot. SX520 HS four or five years obsolete by now.

Well....then maybe I'm just a crappy photographer.

Nice picture either way.
Posted By: Lonny Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/05/17
You guys shouldn't post those pics.... I'm weak, very weak, when it comes to stuff like that.

They do look like dandies. Nice enough to pack in church even smile
I'm not the photographer Rocky is, and I didn't have much for props, but I did get my two knives today. The Kwaiken with the orange scales seems a bit pink, but the scales bolt on and off, so I can (and will) make ironwood scales to replace them. The Kwaiken is about 2x heavier than the Trapper, maybe more. The blade is much thicker as well. This one was used, but had never been sharpened, so not used much for sure. It's downside is that the thumb stud would work a lot better if the detent that retains the handle wasn't so hard to push through. Maybe it will break in, or I'll make the new scales a bit differently to give me better access to the stud. The new Kwaikens have a flipper set up and cost about $175 each. I got this one for $75.

The Trapper is great. I don't generally like flippers but this one is quite nice and I'll get used to it. I wish the wood scales went right up to the sides of the Titanium liners, but I can remake these too if need be. This would easily dress and skin a deer, though it would not be my first choice. It would (will) be a dandy bird knife for certain.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. This thread really accomplished exactly what I needed. I have two knives as good or better than the one I lost.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Fug you.

What?

Amazing how jokers like he and djs stick around trying to get street cred by acting like they are just normal folks who just happen to be socialists.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Fug you.

What?

Amazing how jokers like he and djs stick around trying to get street cred by acting like they are just normal folks who just happen to be socialists.
When he first put this thread up and I realized who it was I thought maybe he was going to cut off his own nuts. I thought about suggesting a scalpel rather than a knife then thought about him being a commie and thought maybe a dull, rusty razor blade glued to a toothbrush, like they do in prison, might serve him better.
Nothing wrong with that photo, Leroy. Stick to "guy stuff" topics like this one and you'll redeem yourself.
I don't think I'm in much need of redemption. I just happen to like using high-quality knives and firearms. But I'm going to start working on better photographs for sure.

Meanwhile, since the Kwaiken was less than hair shaving sharp, I decided to put a new bevel on it. The factory bevel was something over 20ďľź and I decided to go to 15. That's a lot of grinding by hand on a stone, but I got halfway through it last night. I will say one thing, that is d*** hard steel in that knife.

The Trapper will shave, but it's not as sharp as I would like. I will change its bevel to 15ďľź also.
Posted By: Rye77 Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/05/17
Depends on what you want to pay. I've handled one of Kailas knives before and really liked it. It's a bit out of my low rent price range for the folder though.

http://kailacumings.wixsite.com/kailacumings
Folowup. Been wearing it now for a couple of weeks, and the only complaint I have is that the spring clip is easily bent. I clipped it on inside my waistband and the clip rode over my belt. That opened the clip enough that it was then loose on anything thinner. I took the clip off (they supply a little wrench to fit the six-point screws) and rebent it to be tighter.

Caution those are TINY screws and probably not easy to replace.. Be very careful you don't loose one!
Posted By: 700LH Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/19/17
How sturdy does this knife seem to be Rocky?
I like the profiles of these two from Kizer. Both in VG-10 and they're just over $50.

Kizer

[Linked Image]

Kizer

[Linked Image]
I have several big name and big money clip on’s. It’s the style I carry every day. The expensive knives stay at home now. I carry the Outdoor Edge Onyx Lite. If the blade breaks or gets dull, I replace it. It’s done everything from cutting cardboard to gutting deer. If I lose it - no big deal. It’s only $14.99....

[Linked Image]
Sebenza - large or small is the best high end production. For custom I like Mel Pardue's. For large stores it's hard to beat a buck.
Posted By: 117LBS Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/23/17
I just bought the Victorinox hunter after seeing it on the first page of this thread. Seems to have a lot going for it for general hunting use. I like a good folder on my belt with a Mora ridding backup in the bag.

I have liked Kershaw in the past for EDC. While they have been razor sharp and hold an edge but also somewhat thin and brittle. Had a skyline and another that I can’t remember the name of that I managed to snap the tips on.

Every buck knife I’ve used has been good for a couple deer between sharpening. That after initially using it to pop the sternum open.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Fug you.

What?

When he first put this thread up and I realized who it was I thought maybe he was going to cut off his own nuts. I thought about suggesting a scalpel rather than a knife then thought about him being a commie and thought maybe a dull, rusty razor blade glued to a toothbrush, like they do in prison, might serve him better.

To bad he doesn't choose to cut his fuggin' throat.
Posted By: skeen Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/23/17
I like my Buck knives, but I really like my Benchmades.

Benchmade - Crooked River 15080 Knife

Benchmade Crooked River
I've had a Benchmade Mel Pardue automatic for years and it's served me well, although Benchmade blades are a little brittle. At least they have a great warranty service.
Posted By: add Re: best 3-4" clip pocket knife - 12/23/17
Remember, LeroyBeans is from the sandwich-board gang that brings knife blade length restrictions to your city and state.
Originally Posted by skeen
I like my Buck knives, but I really like my Benchmades.

Benchmade - Crooked River 15080 Knife

Benchmade Crooked River

I looked at that Crooked River real hard (beautiful quality) but decided on the Boker Plus Elegant Squail because I did not want a stud on the side of the blade and I was able to get the Squail for less than half the price of the Crooked River.

[Linked Image]
I received a Benchmade Summit Lake knife as a Christmas gift from my wife. I am impressed, it is very sharp and extremely solid and tight. Time will tell if it is a great knife. I believe she paid around $120.00. It does call me to shoot a deer just so I can skin it.

http://www.benchmade.com/big-summit-lake.html

Size comparison next to my old Buck.

[Linked Image]
One is really spoilt for choice these days...but ZTs still get my attention.
but if I was to spend a crazy amount it would be an orig. Bob Terzuola.

This might work out for you
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/0a/7c/27/0a7c27cf89654b1b942b3f8bd01343ed--safety-first-pocket-knives.jpg
[Linked Image]
It's hard to beat any of the Benchmades with the axis lockup. I carry a Benchmade Osborne designed mini-barrage. I actually have 2, one's fluorescent orange with D2 steel (from Cabela's) that I carry at work. I have a second with tan handles with S30V blade. Both knives are top notch.
Originally Posted by Mike70560
I received a Benchmade Summit Lake knife as a Christmas gift from my wife. I am impressed, it is very sharp and extremely solid and tight. Time will tell if it is a great knife. I believe she paid around $120.00. It does call me to shoot a deer just so I can skin it.

http://www.benchmade.com/big-summit-lake.html

Size comparison next to my old Buck.

[Linked Image]

Wow, your old Buck looks like a old friend that shouldn't be abandoned just because some shiny new toy has arrived in your stocking. Love it.
Victorinox Sentinel is a pretty good-quality cost-effective carry knife. It's got a great snappy liner lock!
You have a better camera than I do.

[Linked Image]

Very nice!
© 24hourcampfire