Home
Hi Guys, i haven't posted a build thread for a long time, figured I'd see how it goes. Here's a project we are currently working on.

Customer brought us a pile of components that he had been collecting for a couple of years, needed someone to turn it all into a car. It went a little like this:

[Linked Image]

Frame, which we had to alter quite a lot. The wheelbase was wrong, the 4 bar brackets were out of square by a couple of inches, the mustang II IFS geometry was way wrong... I wish we had started with just the original 1935 frame.

[Linked Image]

Loaded 9" rear end, which we later found to have no outer bearing races at the axle tube ends...

Gen 3 6.4 hemi, brand new factory SRT engine.

[Linked Image]

545 rfe trans

[Linked Image]

big pile of random parts in the front of this trailer.

[Linked Image]

the body was delivered on another trailer.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We put the chassis together for the first time to see what we had to work with.

[Linked Image]

This was out first clue that the chassis builder was a crack smoker.

[Linked Image]
lifting the body off the trailer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

First time joining the body to this frame. This lead to a lot of floor replacement and frame mods for wheelbase corrections and body to frame interface.

[Linked Image]

at this point we are fairly nervous about fitting a 6.4 hemi into a 35 plymouth, no idea where to start, a big shoehorn would have been good.

[Linked Image]
Cutting floors for frame relief, it didn't take long for us to figure out we needed to just build a new trunk floor.

[Linked Image]

we cut and relocated a 4 bar bracket on the frame, along with panhard bar bracket and coil over crossmember.

[Linked Image]

with the wheelbase corrected we continued work on ride height as far as body to frame fitment.

[Linked Image]

cozy mouse home

[Linked Image]
Frame mods for body support.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Had to cut the trunk floor completely out. We found that a 49-51 ford car gas tank would fit between these frame rails, we built a new floor to ride high enough to allow for the tank and also to carry the tank.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Building the tank straps and hanging system.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Building the new driveline tunnel and forward floors.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
now, in this photo, notice how the upper A arms on the IFS are angled downwards. That's all F'd up. Mustang II lowers should ride close to level and the uppers should reach slightly upwards towards the balljoints. This helps so that the outside wheel pulls inward slightly when loaded on a turn, it's supposed to pitch the tire face to help with any body roll and outward load on turns. This is another example of this chassis being all dicked up. We had to research the correct geometry for this suspension system and correct this by cutting the coil spring hats and lowering them about an inch and a half. e also made mods to the crossmember for engine room, we notched the frame for engine accessory clearance and we did a tricky steering shaft route through an engine mount. We had to relocate the power rack to do this, we went forward with the rack and clocked it so the input shaft laid back.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Test fitting before burning the welds full. notice the boxed clearances at the rack input shaft, near the AC pump on inner frame rail and the alternator area, frame was box clearanced and access sleeves added to be able to change alternator without pulling the engine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

upper A arms now reaching upwards like they are supposed to.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Starting some steering column/input work here.

[Linked Image]
we routed the shaft between the exhaust manifold and the engine block, had to run it through the engine mount.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I envy your talent.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 03/19/18
Absolutely amazing Dave. I can’t begin to imagine what goes into fabricating/building that ride up. I can’t wait to see the final product.
The 1935 body originally had external door hinges, our customer wanted them removed and replaced with internal hidden hinges. This is fairly common with street rods but it's an extra challenge with a 4 door with rear suicide doors like this car has.

[Linked Image]

It might not look it, but that was a bunch of work per door.

[Linked Image]

This was also the day that we pulled the rear axles out of frustration due to the car being difficult to roll around in the shop. The axle builder pressed bearings on the axle shafts but they never put the outer races in the axle tube ends. So, we once again stop our progress to correct something another shop F'd up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
with new bearings pressed on, we get back on track with the door mods.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The guys that sold us the hinge plate kits said it couldn't be done (to the rear doors). We said "just send us another kit for the front doors and we'll cut em up and make em work" (we had to cut up the first kit they sent anyways so this wasn't a huge step)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
We ordered a bare set of bucket seats from procar and we built our own riser boxes that located the seats at the correct ride height.

[Linked Image]

I'm jumping all over the place here but in this picture we have our custom 3" mandrel bent exhaust all cut and fit the way we want it. We made this in house with various sections of straight and mandrel bent tube sections cut to fit and clocked correctly for the routing we wanted.

[Linked Image]

That exhaust is bad ass. Stainless Borla mufflers, our hanger system is clean, looks nice and these pipes are rock solid.

[Linked Image]

Fitting shifter, under dash AC, locating our AGM optima battery, engine module and related electrical under passenger seat.

[Linked Image]

We string some wires, plum some fluids and she's a runner soon.

[Linked Image]
Good to see you posting pictures Sir David. Two thoughts, WOW!!, and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Very cool! I feel lazy.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 03/19/18

Absolutely amazing!

Too bad that this can't be made into something that could be easily shown to all of those who say, "Nothing can be done about, best to just junk it and buy a new vehicle," when asked about some (compared to this) minor problem.
Thanks guys.

Some center console work.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This inner box on the trans tunnel is the console mount and weather seal point.

[Linked Image]

a couple of cup holder pockets in the console. The consol bolts to the "box" with a 1/4 bolt in the bottom of each cup holder pocket.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Gads. I hope youse guys got well paid for that.

Relieve the frame for the alternator......super high trans tunnel.....that thing is a beast!

Very nice.
So many little tricks that I've forgotten about in this build. There are tricks everywhere. The drive by wire accelerator pedal assembly for example. Nobody liked the dodge truck plastic flipper pedal, it looked like a prosthetic for an amputee competitive runner.

So we chopped the pedal off the assembly, mounted a metal linkage arm onto it, then we hid it up high on the firewall in a fabricated metal box/bracket and we operate the drive by wire OEM unit remotely with mechanical linkage from a Lokar hot rod pedal assembly.

This car has been our most challenging and therefore our funnest build project to date.
Wow! That's gonna be a beauty, just like everything else you build. Fun to see! Thanks!!
This thing has been apart and back together so damn many times. Each time we do this we refine our panel to panel fitment, little changes that not everyone notices.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 03/19/18
Amazing. Lots of man hours!
Firewall area behind the dash. We fabricated this cowl vent duct box. The car is to receive a power opening cowl upgrade and we were worried about all of the added electronics being installed in the area that the vent would have originally just dumped air in behind the dash. So we built this catch box with a water drain provision. It has air ducts that will blow vent air under the AC unit. You can see the drive by wire stuff just to the left of the vent duct.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Flush LED tail light mods

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Here I was welding the exhaust system out of the car. Previously it was just tacked.

[Linked Image]

(also proof that the shop does get dirty)

[Linked Image]
New english wheel, rolling a test piece.

[Linked Image]

We need practice because....

[Linked Image]

Gotta fill that hole in the roof.
Looking sharp Dave!

I hope the client appreciates all the work that's going into the build. Dealing with other people's f ups is the worst. As my hot rodding buddy would say, I'd rather build a new car from scratch than chase down problems.
Holy Smokes. Time and money! Nice job!
[Linked Image]

I just knew there had to be a union worker in that shop of yours, great work as always, thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by Partsman
[Linked Image]

I just knew there had to be a union worker in that shop of yours, great work as always, thanks for sharing.

2 of them can be seen in that photo. lol
If someone was wanting old cars for projects, there is a ton of old vehicles sitting around in Idaho and Wyoming. Since it's high desert, they don't rust much.
Dave,

Not to critique but why no paint? Seems sorta half-ass.

Travis
Dave, thanks so much for posting your builds. A lot of us are really into cars also, and it is really informative to see what all goes into restoring an older rod. I envy your talent and attention to detail! Keep up the good work, and keep the pictures coming of your builds. Russ
Posted By: pal Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 03/19/18
Really nice work. Great project!
That is awesome work! Thank for Sharing Dave!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
[Linked Image]

2 of them can be seen in that photo. lol

Well goes to show as a union guy of 44 years, I did not notice the other worker. grin
As always....amazing work! Thanks for sharing!

WOW !!

Frikken AWESOME !
Originally Posted by deflave
Dave,

Travis

we are considering paint.
That thing is SWEET!!

You'll have to let me know what shows that beast is going to be at this summer!
Beautiful work, sir.
Looks like you're one foot-pedal short, where you gonna plumb the clutch?
I gotta ask...? ballpark is more than close enough. Have no clue what the cost could be.
Very impressive work, always enjoy your posts. I can't even imagine the work this entails, you're basically building this from scratch. Uuf da, I need to go rest now.
Originally Posted by rost495
I gotta ask...? ballpark is more than close enough. Have no clue what the cost could be.

$75/hr

$100/hr if you watch

$150/hr if you help

$200/hr if you worked on it 1st.
Originally Posted by horse1

$75/hr

$100/hr if you watch

$150/hr if you help

That's a helluva good plan.
Very impressive metalwork. Do you use a CNC plasma or hand cut the parts?

You mentioned stringing a few wires. Are there basic wiring harnesses available for this type of Hot Rod or do you have to create everything from scratch? That seems like it would be a huge amount of work by itself.

I suppose the client spec'ed the tail lights, but it always seemed to me that one of the shortcomings of old cars was the woefully inadequate lights. I am not criticizing, but I would encourage you to add more square inches of tail lights for safety.

Thanks,
Jerry
He brought to the right guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Jerryv
Very impressive metalwork. Do you use a CNC plasma or hand cut the parts?

You mentioned stringing a few wires. Are there basic wiring harnesses available for this type of Hot Rod or do you have to create everything from scratch? That seems like it would be a huge amount of work by itself.

I suppose the client spec'ed the tail lights, but it always seemed to me that one of the shortcomings of old cars was the woefully inadequate lights. I am not criticizing, but I would encourage you to add more square inches of tail lights for safety.

Thanks,
Jerry

we cut with band saw, plasma torch, nibbler, stomp shear, beverly shear, cut off wheel, hole saw, circle cutter with plasma... whatever works best for the situation.

I agree on the tail light comment. these are pretty bright though. LED and 2 strips vs single slim strip. Hopefully they will be very bright.

As for wiring, we have a performance engine harness but we are wiring everything else from scratch. Basically tying a couple of different systems together, the keyless ignition and door openers have to work with the rest of the stuff. then lights, horn, radio, AC, radio etc is all separate.
So that what you guys do all winter in Minnesota..

Thanks for the share, it looks great..

I'm going to guess 40k+ without the paint.

That's cool as hell
That is awesome Dave!! Very challenging but worth it as it's a badass car when done.

Funny thing on the IFS, A buddy of mine bought a 1940 ford pickup project off of some guy and he had the Mustang II IFS on the front and it was all wrong as well. he had to do much of what you did, but it all worked out in the end. The geometry for the rear was mucked as well and he had to relocate bar brackets. Gonna be a badass truck when he's done. he's 74 years old and figures this will be his last build when he's done, he's not positive he'll finish this one so I told him I would if he didn't, he thought that was funny as he knows I hate bodywork.......

You have a lot of difficult fabrication going on, I'm very impressed with the results. That car is going to be cooler than cool when it's done.

I wanna hear that bad boy run!
Sweet rig, Dave!!!
Posted By: tzone Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 03/20/18

This car has been our most challenging and therefore our funnest build project to date.

If it matters, this is the most fun for me to watch you build. For a lot of reasons. VERY cool car. LOVE the modern suspension/motor/trans so you can take it cross country without even thinking about it. But the amount of skill you've shown in this build is simply amazing to me. Excellent work Dave.
Posted By: tzone Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 03/20/18

$75/hr

$100/hr if you watch

$150/hr if you help

My stepdad has that sign hanging in his cabinet shop.
Dave, glad to see you posting again. And an amzing example of talent, skill, and work ethic. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Thanks Dave always enjoy your builds. The only way it would be better is to see all your finished cars at once.
Originally Posted by deflave
Dave,

Travis

So you don't have to paint twice. Mocking up for fit before paint is the right way to do it.
Numbers matching car?
I should have added earlier that if he keeps this up, he might have a career in it. grin
Posted By: jpb Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 03/20/18
I should have added earlier that if he keeps this up, he might have a career in it. grin

Yep, it might even make a family business -- perhaps get a son involved, teach him a great work ethic, perhaps some skills which will always be in great demand... :-)

Seriously, I saw this thread yesterday, but I wanted to try to do this thread justice.

Not good enough for Northern_Dave, but this is the best I could do...

http://who-is-awesome.com/who-is-awesome.jpg

John

Originally Posted by tzone

$75/hr

$100/hr if you watch

$150/hr if you help

I didn't come up with it. I've seen it in other shops, auto shops and gunsmith shops for sure.
Amazing work, Dave. Thanks for sharing.

It is hard to imagine, but I know of a build of similar complexity that took four years to get completed. A 1934 Ford pick-up truck.

The final cost went over $100k.

It is a wealthy, elderly gentleman's dream project and he went over and beyond every step of the way.
I guess you aren't thinking about going back to work for Polaris then...
Good stuff Dave. Keep'en coming. The Campfire loves this kinda stuff.
Originally Posted by BrotherBart

Good to hear from you Bart, truly.
Very nice. First job while a senior in high school was working at a gas station/auto shop. Owner was a former drag racer and built custom hot rods. “Best job I ever had” a Franklin Syndicate Car Club member.
Posted By: KFWA Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 03/21/18
Originally Posted by tzone

$75/hr

$100/hr if you watch

$150/hr if you help

I didn't come up with it. I've seen it in other shops, auto shops and gunsmith shops for sure.

had a mechanic friend pull me aside one day when I was a kid and said "hey, do us both a favor, when your dad starts to work on that tractor, call me before he does and I'll save us both some headaches"
Posted By: tzone Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 03/21/18
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Numbers matching car?

That made me LOL.
Damned deep freeze has frozen Dave's camera !

Dave, how do you heat the shop - I'm on natural gas with radiant.

Just got last quarters billing.

frown
off peak electric boiler heats my shop floor. Slab heat, pex tubing in my concrete, 2" of foam insulation under my slab, 1 inch is sheet foam, 1" is sprayed foam to lock it all in tight. My slab stays super dry in the hot summer months when slabs usually sweat, moisture barrier.
Rough interpretation re. my level of talent:

"Some guy sent us a trailer full of chickenchit and we turned it into home-grown tomatoes"....for a price.

Think it might have been easier on client's wallet if he'd just sent you a '35 hood ornament and told you to finish the job. ;>)

But one thing in particular I can actually admire is the welding. Are you a bot?
Just like snapping Lego blocks together. So easy a caveman can do it. Obviously one enjoys the challenges there. Looks to be one of those projects with no end to it. There's always some new aspect one can take on. Nice work, but I'd rather go fishing.
MAAAADDDDD SSKKKIIIILLLSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great thread!
working on the hood area. Originally this would have opened like butterfly wings, grab 2 handles on the side panels and lift upwards, kind of a tri fold.

We are changing to fixed sides (removable with hidden hardware) and changing the hood top to a one piece that will open to one side.

[Linked Image]

Air snorkel is also a work in progress, it's hard feeding this engine it's air with the inlet location where it is.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We've fabricated structure for the side panels with 16 gauge sheet steel that we've cut and formed, same for the brackets that hold the panels in place.

[Linked Image]
We will come back and refine the appearance of the side panel structure, but moving on to hood work now.

You guys have seen people wear the head injury halo? to hold things from moving?

That's what we have going on here for this floppy, no structure, piano hinged hood.

[Linked Image]

We threw together a temporary halo of sorts to hold the hood in the correct shape while we build inner structure which will retain the hood's correct one piece shape.

[Linked Image]

This way we can remove and flip the hood for building the inner structure, which has started already..

[Linked Image]
Nice work and fabrication there. Love the choice of the gen 3 Hemi. That will really stand out in a sea of Chevy powered rods.
The superlatives have all been used. They are inadequate, but double dittos to all. Creative solutions that are practical and get done. That is a rare combination in one person! Artistic stuff that should go in a museum and some of it will someday.

My favorite thread in years. If I had the bucks, I'd love one of your builds.
Nice work Dave.
Gotta run a license plate I guess, laws and such.

[Linked Image]

a few cuts..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fabricate and fit an recess panel.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Amazing
Wicked!!
Amazing work all around...not many around who could accomplish such quality craftsmanship !!!!
That's a pretty cool fixture you made up to hold that hood in position.

You could have lived a life of poverty as a Toolmaker with abilities like that.

It's good to see that you found a better way to put it to use.
You guys do some amazing work, Dave.
Posted By: ChasR Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 04/07/18
gen·ius (jēn′yəs)

a. Extraordinary intellectual and creative power: artistic works of genius.
b. A person of extraordinary intellect and talent.
c. A person who has an exceptionally high intelligence quotient, typically above 140.
a. A strong natural talent, aptitude, or inclination:

And that, is all I can say about it. Thanks for sharing it!!!
I really enjoy seeing an old car being restored or turn into a hot rod.
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Amazing work, Dave. Thanks for sharing.

It is hard to imagine, but I know of a build of similar complexity that took four years to get completed. A 1934 Ford pick-up truck.

The final cost went over $100k.

It is a wealthy, elderly gentleman's dream project and he went over and beyond every step of the way.

Circa 1985, dad decides it's time for a fresh small-block and a patch-'n-paint job on the 1937 Chevy Coupe that he bought in 1967 when he graduated high-school. 2 guys who grew up in the same ~800 person town as him had a body/bike shop. Once they started in on paint and rust removal, it turned into a frame-off restoration. From that point on, Dad's '37 Chevy became known as the "Mightaswell" car. The guys would come to dad with another project that should be done to make things correct and long lasting, dad would shrug his shoulders and say, "Mightaswell", and every time he said that he figured it cost about $100. So, a "simple" patch-'n-paint ~$1,500 project ended up in the $12,000 range and over 3-yrs to complete. Nothing near the complexity that we're seeing here, and nowhere near what ND's final tally will be, but, "Done Properly" is an exponential cost to an original estimate. (grin)
I still think you should paint it.

Where's the KLR?
its in a holding pattern
That's about as good as it gets, a lot of amazing work dave thanks for sharing. I notice the old Plymouths seem to have not just caught up with the Fords n Chevs of the day but are almost more sought after right now. Your build shows why.
double post
Doing the work to make them nice again.

Way to go.
Posted By: DMc Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 04/09/18
Did a little of the same as you're doing back when I was 13-14 yo with a mechanic neighbor. My first car was a hotrod and I lived to tell about it.

[Linked Image]

DMc
Question, Dave - why such heavy steel on the engine compartment side panels?
I'd have thought 20 ga (properly bent) would have been stout enough. But what does an old cowboy know? smile
Originally Posted by BrotherBart

Good to hear from you Bart, truly.

Thanks Dave. Thanks much.
Keep that Chickenbuck crew in line wouldja?
Dave, it is your fabrication skills and knowledge that really impress me. Great info, and thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by DMc
Did a little of the same as you're doing back when I was 13-14 yo with a mechanic neighbor. My first car was a hotrod and I lived to tell about it.

[Linked Image]

DMc

love it!
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Question, Dave - why such heavy steel on the engine compartment side panels?
I'd have thought 20 ga (properly bent) would have been stout enough. But what does an old cowboy know? smile

Well, we are sort of complicating the function and purpose of the side panels. They will now be the structure that supports a sideways opening hood, plus we are eliminating the original strut rods that reach forward from the firewall to locate and support the grill shell. The side panels will now be responsible for that support.
Posted By: tzone Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 04/09/18
Originally Posted by DMc

[Linked Image]

DMc

Thats bad ass!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steve Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 06/25/18
Wow!
Posted By: tzone Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 06/25/18
Like a F'n glove! Nice work!

Was the hardest part getting you two to work in unison on the wheel? grin
we do pretty good, very good actually in controlling the sheet and steering it through our tracking patterns. The hard part is anvil selection and designing the right tracking plan, and getting the tool pressure correct.

There's a F'd up roof panel leaning against the wall in the corner. lol

Truing the wheels was also key, they weren't lined up on our first attempt and that complicated things a little further.
Mad skills
Really like the ride Dave.
Keep up the good work.

Looking at a 1952 Willis P.U.
Original motor and the few places that it has paint says it was black.
Just don't know if 4 grand is worth it.
Thats great!
Posted By: hanco Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 06/25/18
Amazing work!
Skills on exhibition there... Kudos, ND.
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Really like the ride Dave.
Keep up the good work.

I want one of those pretty bad myself.
Posted By: DMc Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 06/25/18
Originally Posted by plainsman456

I want one of those pretty bad myself.

Are you sure you wouldn't want to spend 4K?

Local Craigslist Cars/Trucks Ad.

[Linked Image]

DMc
What color is that hot rod gonna be?
Midnight blue metallic.
That car really *needs* a well sorted DeSoto Firedome Hemi under the hood.

[Linked Image]
Now we're talking!!!!!
Paint it rust colored and you have an idea what it might look like. grin
Years ago and I really hate to date myself, we called those Chrysler V-8's, not Hemi's, rather Double Rockershat Engines. I hate trivia.........
Originally Posted by Bristoe
That car really *needs* a well sorted DeSoto Firedome Hemi under the hood.

[Linked Image]

That's cool, but it's a different build direction from what the car owner wants.

I'm on board with all traditional hot rod power plants, flat head, early hemi, rocket, nail head etc. But this is more of a resto mod. Current day hot rod guts.
just a thought.
Honestly Bristoe, I like those types of engines the best in open engine builds. They are beautiful and I like em the best when they are on full display, all the time. cool
Sir Dave, does the sheet steel come with the blue "finish", like bars, and angle irons?
HRS will, we are working with CRS (cold rolled steel). It's nice and clean, forms nicely too.
That finish on hot rolled steel is actually scale. It'll play hell with a TIG welder. In fact, hot rolled seems to contain a lot more impurities than cold rolled. A TIG weld will find 'em everytime.

Hot rolled machines pretty, however. The proper grind on a carbide tool bit in a flycutter will make it shine.
I thought about that soon after I asked. I've never bought cold rolled sheet, I have round stock. What gauge did you use?
Great work Dave !

& happy to see the progress, via pictures.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I thought about that soon after I asked. I've never bought cold rolled sheet, I have round stock. What gauge did you use?

Mostly 18 gauge for my body panels. The roof was 18.
How's this build comin along?
steady by jerks.

should we try the photo bucket machine?
Inquiring minds want to know.
made a new console. Car owner decided he wanted a little more elaborate console, metal, painted body color.

[Linked Image]

So we joined it up with an AC shell that we also built.

[Linked Image]

I'm cutting a hole for a touch screen stereo with navigation, backup cam etc.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Body is off the frame again.

[Linked Image]

Nice shot of our 3" dual exhaust.

[Linked Image]

Also currently working on wiring. Tons of wiring and controls to hide in this car.

[Linked Image]
Nice work!
Posted By: hanco Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 08/01/18
Beautiful workmanship!
Amazing undertaking.
That is some impressive welding skills N Dave! I fully expect to see you get your own tv show once word gets out about your amazing workmanship/skills.
Cool!
I know you had a thread asking about machines awhile back Dave, did you ever start TIGing? Be ideal for that console type stuff.
I ended up with a miller tig.

the console is tig welded, the roof panel is tig, lots of tig stuff since we've gotten it.
Which Miller did you end up with? I’ve never been a Miller man, learned to weld from old pipeliners and they were Lincoln or nothing guys. But I got a good deal on a Dialarc HF with TIG torch, consumables, argon bottle, pedal, and cooler a while back. It’s older than I am but it’s a great machine, really nice arc all the way down to 15 amps. Works well as a stick machine too.
210 syncrowave
Seems to me that you've really upped your game, Dave. After seeing how much detail you put into your restorations, I didn't doubt your abilities.

But this Plymouth is much more than a restoration. You're building this car.

Is this the direction you're going to be taking your business from now on?

By the way,...you *really* need to see about getting this car featured in a nationally distributed magazine. In addition to the fine craftsmanship you're putting into it, it's a fairly unique model to be building,...*and* it seems as if it's being built to be driven.
Thanks man.
I just took in a pair of 2 door cars. A 59 chev biscayne and a 61 galaxie.

(mine)

Stoked.
You have to do a picture thread of the galaxie for us Dave.

Same old guy who taught me to weld used to tell stories about borrowing his aunt’s 60 something Galaxie with a 4bbl 390 to cruise mainstreet as a teenager. Said he couldn’t count the number of “fast” cars in the mid 70’s he’d smoked in that old brown 4 door.
Posted By: tzone Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 08/03/18
Morning Dave. How much does heat and moisture affect stuff like the wiring and touch screen stereo equipment? Enough that you have to think about protection, or. It so much in those areas?
I'm not sure I follow. In the installed locations and in future real world use? I am certain it's a valid concern, but we are pretty confident in our locations for this stuff. We are using a couple of products from "lizzard skin", spray on ceramic barrier and sound deadeners. The upholstery guy will be adding to what we apply with matting material.

My main concerns are routing for wires, burn, stretch, chafe, cut etc.

I built a mount for the touch screen stereo and welded it in the console yesterday, fit the stereo and it looks good.

Hard to get a lot of work done with construction crew right outside the window working on the foundation for our new building.
Posted By: tzone Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 08/03/18
I'm not questioning your locations. I'm just asking if that is something that is considered. I'd like some sort of stereo system in my truck. The floors are nearly completed and I need to think of a way to mount one. Making a console of sorts in front of my shifter, which will be on the floor approximately like the one you have here, would be up against the firewall.
It is always such a pleasure Dave when one of your threads are up and running......I personally would like to see one of your threads loaded with two pictures of your cars before and afters!
Seems to me that you've really upped your game, Dave. After seeing how much detail you put into your restorations, I didn't doubt your abilities.

But this Plymouth is much more than a restoration. You're building this car.

Is this the direction you're going to be taking your business from now on?

By the way,...you *really* need to see about getting this car featured in a nationally distributed magazine. In addition to the fine craftsmanship you're putting into it, it's a fairly unique model to be building,...*and* it seems as if it's being built to be driven.

+ 1

Love seeing the processes involved.
Anymore progress?
Anymore progress?

Weddings, new buildings, hunting and many other projects. ND is a busy man.
Hi fellerz.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Exhaust manifold clearance on frame rails.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Frame rail box clearanced for alternator and through tubes added for servicing alternator without pulling the engine.

[Linked Image]
hood and latch work.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

dash, gauge holes had to be... shrunk. New gauges slightly smaller than the originals.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
body work, endless...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

finally putting things together for the last time.

[Linked Image]
That’s cool 😎. You have great talent.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We are really happy with this new metal roof. We didn't cheese out and weld in a ribbed van roof or some schit like that, we domed that panel ourselves on the english wheel, cut the hole, fit the panel line to line, flush butt weld with the tig. That was one of the most intimidating parts of this entire project.
I am in awe of the talent, and amount of work you put into your projects. Truly functional art. My hat is off to you.
Truly awesome Dave
Awesome post!
Thanks for continuing the saga Dave.
Looking great so far!
That, is a lot of painstaking work! I can only make a wild guess on the total cost of all that highly skilled labor.
I realized I hadn't posted on this for a while.
We are on the home stretch on bodywork. The frame is base clear, a graphite metallic wjth a matte clear.

The body will be a midnight blue.
I can't see that car coming together without visualizing gangsters and Tommy Guns... smile

I bet that car will really pop when you're done!
Nice work.
Posted By: pal Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 02/10/19

[Linked Image]

We are really happy with this new metal roof. We didn't cheese out and weld in a ribbed van roof or some schit like that, we domed that panel ourselves on the english wheel, cut the hole, fit the panel line to line, flush butt weld with the tig. That was one of the most intimidating parts of this entire project.

That came out so slick!
Gezzus Dave, that is looking nice!
Originally Posted by pal

[Linked Image]

That came out so slick!

+1 !

So good !

smile
Great thread!
Dave
I’m glad you have clients able to foot the bill for projects with this much quality and attention to detail.

I think your talent would be wasted on fender benders.
Great to see you back, Dave. This rod's looking good!
Love this thread...thanks for sharing!!!

(Keep the pics coming)
Posted By: tzone Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 02/11/19
Love this car. The roof looks amazing and a lot better than the way it came.
Looking good Dave.
Just Blows my Mind! Great work Dave! Glad you brought us up to date!
Outstanding!!!!
Posted By: WVGuy Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 02/11/19
Thanks for sharing!
Dave, are you sending any parts out to get chromed?

Also, that midnight blue is going to make that car pop!
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Dave, are you sending any parts out to get chromed?

Also, that midnight blue is going to make that car pop!

Yes, A handful of parts, not many. No bumpers on the car. Windshield frame, plymouth grill ornament, a strip for the top of the 1 piece hood and a pair of external trunk hinges.
Ok, Davey boy!

It's been pert near a month. Any progress?
Man! I wish I had talent like that. I never learned to do anything, so I became an insurance adjuster.
Ok, Davey boy!

It's been pert near a month. Any progress?

I think ND has been busy chasing his dogs off the roof of his house. Lots of snow up there this year.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
bedliner under the body, lots more hand blocking bodywork. Some color showing up now though. All of the interior metal parts are painted, doors and running boards were painted today. Body soon.
seems dangerous.

[Linked Image]

laugh laugh

Pretty wet looking paint!

Nice!
Posted By: hanco Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 06/20/19
I can’t wait to see the finished product. I assume you will have a total of man hours at completion??
Originally Posted by hanco
I can’t wait to see the finished product. I assume you will have a total of man hours at completion??

No, not even close. I suppose I could look at what's been billed, but it won't be close to actual.

Very happy with today's painting though. Things got a little orange peel but that's because I put 4 coats of clear on. Put a little extra on for cutting and buffing. It's actually pretty slick for how much clear is on there.
Love it. That’s simply an amazing transformation. Wish I had the know how and metal working skills to make that happen.
first class
[Linked Image]

AWESOME Dave !!
Great job!
[Linked Image]

A big hot rod project is like a long distance egg in spoon race. The further you make it towards the finish line, the more you have to lose if you drop the egg. That last 10 yards is the hardest.

[Linked Image]

Sealer and 4 coats of base, on by lunch time.

Clear started going on after lunch.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It is currently miller time.
[Linked Image]

The egg is secure.
Damn.. If I win the lottery you're hired. Attention to detail off the maps can't wait to see it all buttoned up!
Beautiful work, Mr. Dave.

Love it.
Posted By: gunzo Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 06/28/19
Dammit, that's purdy.

Thanks for sharing.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 06/28/19
WOW is all I know what to say.
Originally Posted by Salty303
Damn.. If I win the lottery you're hired. Attention to detail off the maps can't wait to see it all buttoned up!

Isn't that the truth. Dave really magnifies what a master craftsman/artist does vs. someone who just fits the pieces together.
How long before a large bird plants a crap on that nice ride?

Looking good in the sun Dave.
That’s just incredible, Dave.
especially when you consider all that was fabricated on it.
I’m glad I’m not getting the invoices!
Posted By: pal Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 06/28/19
Really beautiful job!
Sweet paint!
Looking good!
Originally Posted by kingston
That’s just incredible, Dave.

+1

Just incredible !!
I just got out of the spray booth. Got the sealer and 4 coats of base on the hood, trunk lid, engine side covers and grille shell. going to lunch now, spraying 4 coats of clear after lunch (which will take the rest of the work day)
Amazing skills. Beautiful work.
could you step it up a little, wan to see it all together.
Looking Great young man!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

stringing wires for the last time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Outrageous skills.

One of the most satisfying aspects of your restoration threads is the fact that you're mentoring your son in the skills necessary to do such things and building a business that he can continue on.

I still think you should have a reality TV show.
Also, the Cragar S/S mags are a nice touch. I still like them more that all of the contemporary custom wheels that are on the market these days.
I missed the last updates to this thread.

All I can say is wow! Just WOW!!!

See ya Saturday, bud.
"We want a pitchure! Not a belly itcher!!"
next week
Heeellllllll yeeeaaaaaaaaaa...............
Come on Dave we’re waiting!!!
whistle
[Linked Image from i43.photobucket.com]

very nice!!!
Looking Great! What do you have left? Just fenders and a hood?
Originally Posted by RickyD
Looking Great! What do you have left? Just fenders and a hood?

Everything is painted. hood, fenders and running boards need to be color sanded and buffed, was planning on waiting until after upholstery to hang the fenders and running boards. But upholstery can't take it until like March now.
Posted By: pal Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 10/23/19
Simply gorgeous work Dave.

grin
I'm just in awe of this project and basically speechless.
Posted By: hanco Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 10/24/19
I can’t wait to see the finished project!
Also, the Cragar S/S mags are a nice touch. I still like them more that all of the contemporary custom wheels that are on the market these days.

+1 no doubt the best wheels ever!
Originally Posted by 22250rem
I'm just in awe of this project and basically speechless.

definitely agree with assessment.... Dave does awesome work... simply awesome...
Amazing. Simply amazing. Have you fired it up yet?
Posted By: tzone Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 10/25/19
WOW!
Amazing. Simply amazing. Have you fired it up yet?

Oh yes, I've even driven it. It's a nasty buggy, very fun.

The shifter mechanism is truly a work of art.
Posted By: 44mc Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 10/26/19
dave you are a master craftsman
That car's just wicked!

Great job, Dave!
What is the crank handle on the dash for?
Posted By: pal Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 10/28/19

Probably for the cowl vent.

Dave you are a freaking genius! 👍
All I can say is "WOW" !
Originally Posted by pal

Probably for the cowl vent.

The cowl vent has been changed to power, it's on a rocker switch that goes in the center console. The other rocker switch spot in the console is for the power trunk lid.

The crank on the dash is for the crank out windshield. It hinges at the top, bottom swings outward.

The crank on the dash is for the crank out windshield. It hinges at the top, bottom swings outward.

GTFOH

That'll suck in a bee or two! lol

GTFOH

Sheesh! Kids these days!

I’ll bet, that as a kid, you didn’t have to stand on the front seat and run the windshield wipers with the little push-pull knob just above the windshield...

😀
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar

GTFOH

Sheesh! Kids these days!

I’ll bet, that as a kid, you didn’t have to stand on the front seat and run the windshield wipers with the little push-pull knob just above the windshield...

😀

This one has been converted to dual overhead mounted 12 volt wipers, 2 speed.
Posted By: tzone Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 10/30/19
No more pulling them with a string. laugh
Posted By: DMc Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 10/30/19
Detail talent!
Posted By: tzone Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 10/30/19
Any part of you wish that guy won't pick it up so you can keep it? laugh I know you don't like the praise, but it's amazing work you've done here dave.
Dave,
If I ever win the lottery, the first 10% goes to church/charity and the next check is going to you for whatever you want to build...
Wish I had your talent! Amazing work!!!!!! Thanks for sharing.
Done.

Not bad.

See.....what I would have done instead..........
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Not bad.

See.....what I would have done instead..........

go milk a cow or something.
Hehehehe!

Thats sure is a blackish black.
Amazing Sir David, I wish I could afford to haul my 67 Mustang up to you.
Awesome!

So...which hot rod magazine will it be featured in?
Dave, having been a car lover from birth (1951), and having seen rods of all types, and having seen some of the crap they have on the TV shows, I would have to say that Plymouth is one of the most functional, totally classy builds I've ever seen. Kudos!
All you need now is a couple Thompson machine guns in violin cases...........
Just WOW !

Congratulations.

Beautiful.
Pure art.

It's obvious that your skills will allow you to take on any project that comes along.
Beautiful job. Do you have any pics of the finished interior?
Nice is an understatement!

You can sure be proud of that!
Hehehehe!

Black rides matter.
Posted By: pal Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 03/03/20
Gorgeous work!
Amazing Dave! You're an artist for sure.
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Beautiful job. Do you have any pics of the finished interior?

Interior is next but the shop that is scheduled to do it can't start until june, so the car's owner is talking about just driving the car with bare seats for the summer and having the interior done in the fall.
Hehehehe!

Black rides matter.

It's actually blue.

I have a bowling ball that color.

How did you get Brunswick to release that color to you?
random pic I stumbled across from last summer.

I guess I do miss summer, now that I see that picture.
I have a bowling ball that color.

How did you get Brunswick to release that color to you?

you said ball. hee-hee
random pic I stumbled across from last summer.

I guess I do miss summer, now that I see that picture.

I spiffed up the old gas pump that's behind the blue ford in that picture too.

That is art at an uncommon level. Love it! If you were doing more classic forms you would be in the ranks of Rodin and Picasso.

That is a cool old gas pump also! Bravo!
Nice!...At least you didn't put those gawd awful huge pimp wheels on it like some of the younger guys do. Those wheels are just right!
Posted By: 700LH Re: 1935 plymouth hot rod build. - 03/03/20
Looks about perfect to me
I’ve been waiting to see that done ! Beautiful!!!
Hehehehe!

Black rides matter.

It's actually blue.

Oooh, nice
At night it looks like you could be driving Capone, come daylight the popo thing you are someone else entirely...

I like that blue.. .
I guess ya don't have to worry about locking your keys inside...........

Except for the door handles it's a beauty!!
Outstanding!
Very nice!

And I thought it was a lot of work rebuilding the suspension on my 77 vette laugh
PERFECTION ...
Beautiful.....
Lets go rob some banks smile
Uber classy build ND
Man, that is so cool! I wouldn’t know where to start. 😁
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Man, that is so cool! I wouldn’t know where to start. 😁

I'd start by bringing it to ND. smile
Dave. could you give a "ball park" price on that job?
Not my business, but curious. smile
Originally Posted by 12344mag

I noticed that to. I'm sure ND installed some sort of a secret hatch in the floorboards for entry/exit. He can be sneaky that way.
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Dave. could you give a "ball park" price on that job?
Not my business, but curious. smile

Nope.
Darn good job Dave and to the others that did the dirty work.

Hard to believe that it came in several trailers and lots of boxes.

Damn nice work Dave.
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Originally Posted by 12344mag

I noticed that to. I'm sure ND installed some sort of a secret hatch in the floorboards for entry/exit. He can be sneaky that way.

A guy gets creative after getting shot up by a Tommy Gun!
© 24hourcampfire