Home
Online poll at end of article, vote on this one!

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article221904935.html

November 26, 2018 06:30 AM

There may be a new gun fight at the Texas Capitol next year.

State Rep. Jonathan Stickland has filed a bill to allow “Constitutional Carry” — to let any Texan who legally owns a handgun carry it openly or concealed without first getting a permit — across the state.

“It is a major legislative priority for the Republican Party and very popular with my constituents,” said Stickland, R-Bedford. “I think there’s a real need for it.”

Texans have long been able to openly carry rifles and shotguns without a license except in places where carrying long guns is specifically outlawed.

As for handguns, laws have evolved to let gun owners carry handguns openly or concealed, in most areas of the state, including some college campuses.

But they need a License to Carry, which requires Texans to undergo training and pay a fee to have the license.

“This bill will make License to Carry optional,” Stickland said. “We would no longer require a license to carry a gun in Texas.”

This proposal, which comes in the wake of deadly school shootings and proposed school safety plans, could be part of a bigger safety discussion in the legislative session that begins Jan. 8.

Opponents say a majority of Texans are not calling for this change.

“Unlicensed carry is out of the mainstream,” said Marsha McCartney, a spokeswoman for the Texas chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. “It is not what Texans want.

“Maybe (Stickland) should pay a little attention to what they do want.”

Stickland filed bills to allow constitutional carry in Texas in both 2015 and 2017, but they were overshadowed by other gun proposals.

The measure last year made it farther than in the past, being heard in a committee hearing, although it never reached the Texas House floor.

After the proposal died, “we made a decision, as much as we can, to help Texas pass constitutional carry next year,” Tim Macy, chairman of Gun
Owners of America, said during the Republican Party of Texas state convention in June. “We will use resources ... to push the Legislature and governor (to make law) constitutional carry.”

Republicans long have had the call for constitutional carry in their party’s platform, an outline of party beliefs that candidates do not always follow and are not bound by.

He said he believes it will gain support from more Republicans and a growing number of Democrats.

“They understand that when you have to pay a fee and take a test for your rights, that’s hurting minorities more than anything else.”

Guns in Texas

But that doesn’t mean such a proposal will pass the Texas Legislature this year, McCartney said.

“I would suggest to Mr. Stickland that he try really hard to get in with the mainstream,” McCartney said. “He didn’t get even 50 percent during this election.

“That means there are a whole lot of people who don’t agree with him.”

Stickland won his re-election bid with 49.83 percent, to Democratic challenger Steve Riddell’s 47.40 percent and Libertarian Eric P. Espinoza’s 2.75 percent.

Stickland, who noted that he “didn’t really even campaign” in his re-election bid, believes this bill will go farther in 2019 than it did last year.

“I think it’s the year it can pass the House,” Stickland said. “And I highly doubt (Lt. Gov.) Dan Patrick will want it dying in the Senate.”
It won't make any difference.
right
Lawby Jeebus save us all. If this law passes, Texans will be carrying guns.
we do regardless.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
we do regardless.

Indeed we do.

Bring it. Why should I have my day interrupted and have to produce a piece of paper to support my innocence?

We'd have had this already, several years ago, had it not been for that cretin Joe Strauss.
I believe it's aimed at the money requirement - another tax.
I carry. Often times one in each pocket.
How magnanimous of the Texas Legislature to give us back our God given right to bear arms.

I would prefer to see them strike the Prohibitive laws form the books rather than pass a law that allows Constitutional Carry.

Alan
Aye. That's clearer thinking, Alan. We don't need laws to permit us. We need lawmakers and courts that recognize and acknowledge liberty!
The big law pricks will half heartedly support it and help it fail, as usual. There is some purging needed in Austin, same as Washington..
To All,

Fwiw, as he is a retired career LEO, my DH has a problem with ANYBODY/EVERYBODY being able to carry firearms of any sort (especially in the central city) as the criminal underclass, who currently carries unlawfully, will do so with impunity & little fear of carrying for unlawful purposes, as it will be DIFFICULT to prove that anybody was carrying for an otherwise unlawful purpose..

As long as there is a requirement to be able to PROVE that a citizen is reasonably law-abiding & able to hit your target at SD range, we don't have a problem with licensed/law-abiding people carrying firearms ANYWHERE.
(LTC licensees in TX have a BETTER record for safety & obeying public laws than the police do, so we both favor licensed persons being FREE to carry everywhere in TX/the USA, including "licensed premises", courthouses, schools. sporting events & EVERYWHERE else too, where sworn police may carry weapons.).

Fyi, I've personally seen any number of "shooters" on ranges completely miss a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood from 3M, with all the ammo from their "SD handgun". - Persons who cannot shoot better than that make me nervous even thinking of them trying to shoot in a crowded public area like across a café dining room.

"Tex" believes that ILLEGAL ALIENS should be ARRESTED/CONVICTED of a felony if caught possessing any dangerous weapon, as they are obviously NOT a law-abiding person. - Illegal Aliens are all LAW-BREAKERS.

We also favor removing the cost of a handgun license but prefer continuing to require DPS background investigations & qualifying with your handgun to carry deadly weapons anywhere off of your own owned/rented/leased premises.

just my/our opinions, DarlaG
Originally Posted by oulufinn
The big law pricks will half heartedly support it and help it fail, as usual. There is some purging needed in Austin, same as Washington..

Your worst enemies are going to be those that claim to be in your ranks and then work to back door you on your efforts.
arizona has a ccw permit. good when traveling out of state, good when buyin from a ffl.
other than that, has no purpose since open carry has been here since statehood, and concealed carry without a permit being made legal a number of years ago.
the streets are not running in blood.
Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Dakota,Vermont, West Virginia. and Wyoming all have some form of constitutional carry now. Outside the ghettos of places like St. Louis and Phoenix they're some of the safest states out there. None of the "blood in the streets" hysteria has come to pass nor will it. Concealed carry laws have been championed by republicans but in actuality hurt us, one should never have to ask permission to exercise our constitutional rights. If you have to ask permission it's not a right, it's a privilege and can be taken away on a whim. Constitutional carry should be the standard.

As far as what will happen if Texas passes it, the answer is nothing. Nothing will happen just like nothing has happened in every other state where it has passed. People will have just regained a small amount of their God given freedom, that's all.
Arkansas has one, according to the Attorney General, but people keep getting arrested , anyway. When it was passed, they mis-wrote the law. It was intended to be a law where you could openly have a hand gun in the seat of your car. I think all of the ones arrested have been found not guilty, but info is hard to find. Before that the only time that you could carry a pistol, in a holster, out in the open, was if you were Hog hunting or on a journey. A pistol, in a holster was considered a concealed weapon. miles
It doesn’t cost a cop anything to arrest you or write a ticket but it costs you money for a lawyer to point out to a judge that you did nothing illegal. I’ve been down that road more than once regarding the carrying of a handgun.

Concealed carry laws have restricted that abuse of power.

In principle, I’m in favor of Constitutional Carry. In practice, I’m concerned that it will backfire on us by turning the non shooting public against the whole idea of citizens carrying.
The opposition to this greatly blows the whole thing out of proportion.

If this were to pass, it wouldn't have any visible effect on anything.

Just like when we passed concealed carry, the anti-gunners said there would be blood running in the streets. There wasn't.

Same with the licensed open carry measure... (What a joke that is)

Texas is still largely anti-gun. The politicians are not gonna change that anytime soon.
Originally Posted by Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr
How magnanimous of the Texas Legislature to give us back our God given right to bear arms.

I would prefer to see them strike the Prohibitive laws form the books rather than pass a law that allows Constitutional Carry.

Alan

good to see you posting again, Alan.
Originally Posted by DarlaG
To All,

Fwiw, as he is a retired career LEO, my DH has a problem with ANYBODY/EVERYBODY being able to carry firearms of any sort (especially in the central city) as the criminal underclass, who currently carries unlawfully, will do so with impunity & little fear of carrying for unlawful purposes, as it will be DIFFICULT to prove that anybody was carrying for an otherwise unlawful purpose..

As long as there is a requirement to be able to PROVE that a citizen is reasonably law-abiding & able to hit your target at SD range, we don't have a problem with licensed/law-abiding people carrying firearms ANYWHERE.
(LTC licensees in TX have a BETTER record for safety & obeying public laws than the police do, so we both favor licensed persons being FREE to carry everywhere in TX/the USA, including "licensed premises", courthouses, schools. sporting events & EVERYWHERE else too, where sworn police may carry weapons.).

Fyi, I've personally seen any number of "shooters" on ranges completely miss a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood from 3M, with all the ammo from their "SD handgun". - Persons who cannot shoot better than that make me nervous even thinking of them trying to shoot in a crowded public area like across a café dining room.

"Tex" believes that ILLEGAL ALIENS should be ARRESTED/CONVICTED of a felony if caught possessing any dangerous weapon, as they are obviously NOT a law-abiding person. - Illegal Aliens are all LAW-BREAKERS.

We also favor removing the cost of a handgun license but prefer continuing to require DPS background investigations & qualifying with your handgun to carry deadly weapons anywhere off of your own owned/rented/leased premises.

At my very first CCW license class like 25 years ago (when the law first passed) there was a lady that missed the the closeset target (3 yards?) multiple times. And then had other signficant safety handling issues. She still passed! Having people like that walking around carrying firearms is very disconcerning. But, freedom must reign. On the otherhand, we've all read about cops shooting innocents due to their poor marksmanship skills so maybe it'll make no difference if a few civies are just as bad.

I'm hoping there will be some restrictions on violent felons carrying, etc. and I imagine that would be extended any poor sap accused of domestic violence.
It's illegal for violent felons to possess firearms in Texas, so Concealed carry, Open Carry or Constitutional Carry doesn't apply to them.
The COTUS says nothing about felons not being able to carry guns. To me, "constitutional carry" means what it says. Like I said, I hope there are some restrictions.
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
The COTUS says nothing about felons not being able to carry guns. To me, "constitutional carry" means what it says. Like I said, I hope there are some restrictions.

Then the State passes a law that says we have to adhere to the constitution?

Shouldn't we be doing that already?

Can a state pass a law saying said state won't adhere to the constitution?
To All,

Dear Darla-

I've personally shot alongside of LEO at ranges for damn near 30 years, and it is only recently that more than 25% of them can hit anything. And this is the group who goes to the range, who are more interested in shooting.

As a group, a a rule, LEO are no better marksmen than a cross section of random firearms owners.

Just my observations, Me.

...Fyi, I've personally seen any number of "shooters" on ranges completely miss a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood from 3M, with all the ammo from their "SD handgun". - Persons who cannot shoot better than that make me nervous...

ROFL! Now THAT is some poor shooting at 3M. Perhaps a coach would help, but then again, maybe not. Those folks are obviously scared to death of their own firearms, I would guess.

Agreed, they would also make me nervous, enough so to belly crawl away from the area.
ANY person lawfully able to possess firearms can carry, open or concealed, in WV, not just residents. We've long been able to carry openly without a permit and concealed with one, but this has simplified things. I still maintain my license because I often drift over into VA (about 2 miles away), but even there open carry sans permit is okay. On the few occasions when I've gone out wearing a gun in the open no one's looked twice at me. Keeping it concealed has an advantage I think, if I ever need it.
we do regardless.

No schitt. I love Texas!

Not unusual to see someone in any venue with a gun. And the best part is that its regarded as not unusual....
Laws only affect. those that obey them. Gang bangers don’t follow laws. Hasbeen
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Online poll at end of article, vote on this one!

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article221904935.html

November 26, 2018 06:30 AM

There may be a new gun fight at the Texas Capitol next year.

State Rep. Jonathan Stickland has filed a bill to allow “Constitutional Carry” — to let any Texan who legally owns a handgun carry it openly or concealed without first getting a permit — across the state.

“It is a major legislative priority for the Republican Party and very popular with my constituents,” said Stickland, R-Bedford. “I think there’s a real need for it.”

Texans have long been able to openly carry rifles and shotguns without a license except in places where carrying long guns is specifically outlawed.

As for handguns, laws have evolved to let gun owners carry handguns openly or concealed, in most areas of the state, including some college campuses.

But they need a License to Carry, which requires Texans to undergo training and pay a fee to have the license.

“This bill will make License to Carry optional,” Stickland said. “We would no longer require a license to carry a gun in Texas.”

This proposal, which comes in the wake of deadly school shootings and proposed school safety plans, could be part of a bigger safety discussion in the legislative session that begins Jan. 8.

Opponents say a majority of Texans are not calling for this change.

“Unlicensed carry is out of the mainstream,” said Marsha McCartney, a spokeswoman for the Texas chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. “It is not what Texans want.

“Maybe (Stickland) should pay a little attention to what they do want.”

Stickland filed bills to allow constitutional carry in Texas in both 2015 and 2017, but they were overshadowed by other gun proposals.

The measure last year made it farther than in the past, being heard in a committee hearing, although it never reached the Texas House floor.

After the proposal died, “we made a decision, as much as we can, to help Texas pass constitutional carry next year,” Tim Macy, chairman of Gun
Owners of America, said during the Republican Party of Texas state convention in June. “We will use resources ... to push the Legislature and governor (to make law) constitutional carry.”

Republicans long have had the call for constitutional carry in their party’s platform, an outline of party beliefs that candidates do not always follow and are not bound by.

He said he believes it will gain support from more Republicans and a growing number of Democrats.

“They understand that when you have to pay a fee and take a test for your rights, that’s hurting minorities more than anything else.”

Guns in Texas

But that doesn’t mean such a proposal will pass the Texas Legislature this year, McCartney said.

“I would suggest to Mr. Stickland that he try really hard to get in with the mainstream,” McCartney said. “He didn’t get even 50 percent during this election.

“That means there are a whole lot of people who don’t agree with him.”

Stickland won his re-election bid with 49.83 percent, to Democratic challenger Steve Riddell’s 47.40 percent and Libertarian Eric P. Espinoza’s 2.75 percent.

Stickland, who noted that he “didn’t really even campaign” in his re-election bid, believes this bill will go farther in 2019 than it did last year.

“I think it’s the year it can pass the House,” Stickland said. “And I highly doubt (Lt. Gov.) Dan Patrick will want it dying in the Senate.”

that should speed things up around the sofa dumpster!

The point being missed in every gun law court assessment is that people who support constitutional carry never ever state, claim, or attempt, to make the ruling compulsory for the populous.

The partisans who are anti constitutional carry do and actively seek, compulsory legislation to prevent the populous from their rights.

Lawyers overall, are amazingly inept at including this fundamental difference in their arguments.
rockinbbar,

It will only take one federal district judge to decide that Constitutional Carry is a "basic civil right" to void all such State prohibitions that forbid felons carrying weapons. - This is called : Unintended consequences.

Sincerely, DarlaG/Tex
What’s a “ DH”?

Originally Posted by kid0917

...Fyi, I've personally seen any number of "shooters" on ranges completely miss a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood from 3M, with all the ammo from their "SD handgun". - Persons who cannot shoot better than that make me nervous...

ROFL! Now THAT is some poor shooting at 3M. Perhaps a coach would help, but then again, maybe not. Those folks are obviously scared to death of their own firearms, I would guess.

Agreed, they would also make me nervous, enough so to belly crawl away from the area.

Originally Posted by kid0917

kid0917,

VERY TRUE. ------ Unfortunately, my DH has seen "sworn officers" who shoot almost as poorly when "qualifying".

Sincerely, DarlaG/Tex

I've seen this a few times myself. If the shooter is willing, I offer my services to help them with there firearm. Most are glad for the help. Many times they're afraid of their gun because it's loud (no hearing protection) and it kicks too much. The noise we can fix as I usually have an extra pair of ear muffs in the truck. Recoil is not so easy but we work around it.
Paul B.
No answer so I’ll hazard a guess as far as the meaning of D H.

Dumbass Husband ?
someone is pulling a larry root.... lmao.
Originally Posted by curdog4570
What’s a “ DH”?

curdog4570,

Sorry for the delay. - I just saw your question.

I should have known that that commonplace "Internet shorthand" might not be clear to everyone. - "DH" is the usual/affectionate abbreviation for: "Dear Husband".

Sincerely, DarlaG
The cops here used to practice on our indoor range. As a rule they were the worst shots I've ever seen. They hit everything but the target. Bullet holes in the target frames, floor and walls were common when they were shooting.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
we do regardless.

Indeed we do.

Bring it. Why should I have my day interrupted and have to produce a piece of paper to support my innocence?

We'd have had this already, several years ago, had it not been for that cretin Joe Strauss.

Yep a whole lot of that going on all over.
PJGunner,

Keeping one's eyes open when you pull (or jerk) the trigger helps too. - Yes, I've seen any number of "shooters" on a range trying to shoot with eyes squeezed tightly shut.

As a recently wed lady & "never even held a gun" until I met Tex, I now have my own Remington Model 7615 carbine in 5.56NATO, an Airweight "Ladysmith" in .38SPL, am awaiting my Texas CHL & am looking for a shotgun that at 60"/90# that I can shoot comfortably, for birds/small game.
Marrying a "dedicated hunter & fisherman" means "joining the party" or sitting home alone & "being left out" for much of the Spring/Summer/Hunting season.
(My Hubby is a retired career LEO, MP officer & Rangemaster, so I'm lucky enough to have had good teachers. A retired Command Sergeant Major, who is Tex's best friend, "took me under his wing" & started me off shooting a .22 Colt Diamondback. Once I could hit with that revolver, he loaned me a S&W Bodyguard.)

Sincerely, DarlaG
Missed a 4'x8' target at 3 meters! LMFAO. I once worked at a commercial tourist oriented range for a number of years and have seen thousands of novice shooters hit a standard sized paper target at 7 yards w/ about 2 minutes of instruction, complete misses happened but were comparatively rare. I taught and qualified about 45,000 CCW students over 9 years and shooting instruction was limited to lecture and demonstration. I don't recall ever seeing anyone miss a B-27 target at 3 yards.

Few people shoot handguns well. Fewer have ever fired a shot while being shot at but many feel free to comment.

mike r
lvmiker,

Pardon me for pointing out that the new shooters that you mention were intelligent enough to get help, rather than being too foolish & arrogant to ask for coaching. Just buying a firearm doesn't make you a competent shooter.

Sincerely, DarlaG
lvmiker,

Pardon me for pointing out that the new shooters that you mention were intelligent enough to get help, rather than being too foolish & arrogant to ask for coaching. Just buying a firearm doesn't make you a competent shooter.

Sincerely, DarlaG

You are pardoned and thanks for pointing that out, your vast experience is telling.

mike r
You need to become acquainted with Fireball’s wife.
lvmiker,

As I said in post # 133275, I'm not only a recent "Tex-Anne by adoption" but also a "new shooter" of just less than 2 years of being a shooter (and hopefully, a soon to be bird-hunter). - "Barely competent" describes my level of knowledge but at least I can qualify on the TX CHL range test, which is a bit better than several of my classmates are.

At least I wasn't foolish enough to try a new skill without asking for help, so I'm far ahead of the "can't hit the side of a barn" from inside of the structure people.

Sincerely, DarlaG
Darla,

Where is "DH" these days?
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Darla,

Where is "DH" these days?

lol
rockinbbar,

Bouncing from one volunteer gig with TP&WD to another. - What little that he's been at home this week was mostly spent eating/bathing/asleep.
(6AM-9PM Mon-Sun is a killer.)

Sincerely, DarlaG
I am far less concerned about the relative marksmanship of a person carrying than I am them understanding the safety issues involved with carry and the basic legal issues of self defense and carry. I have done a couple of the required CCW classes now in a couple of the northeastern states and while they all covered very basic gun handling and enough marksman ship to hit a human silhouette at 7 yds ( for most students) none seemed to have any help on how to carry a weapon safely, how to present it or return it to a holster etc.

In a similar fashion none of the courses covered any of the legal aspects of self defense or any pointers on avoiding those situations in the first place.

That said I don't see what a state needs to regulate any of this for permission to carry. After all no one made me take a class when I bought my chain saw or my sxs, yet I seemed competent to lean enough not hurt myself with those implements.
this whole topic is kind of funny to me in a way. i have been carrying a gun, off and on, since i was about 11. long time ago in arizona that was not unusual. since then i carried with a badge for a while, which meant legal anywhere in the state, a time without a badge, and maybe the legality was overlooked, then when ccw came along i had that.
They have changed the rules, but i can remember taking some renewal classes, with people waving loaded firearms around the classroom. even after pointing that out to the instructor he didn't do anything about it. i remember a 80-90 year old man having trouble racking a makarov, and hitting the target at 5 yards, he passed. instructor asked me to rack the gun for him.
i remember old folks on the firing linge with their oxygen bottles hooked up.
I can also remember law enforcement officers that couldn't hit a barn if they were inside it.
I personally have issues with incompetent and maybe disturbed people being able to do this. but i don't know how you completely avoid this, for every one that fits that discription, the ten thousand that don't shouldn't be burden without the ability to protect them selves.
Something i through the years have told people, was something i had to come to grips with before i put on a badge. Was I willing to intentionally shoot to kill in certan situations? this is a difficult question when you think about it, as i am a catholic and taking life is never an answer.
One should consider that before packing something that could just cause trouble.
There seems to be no national standard for concealed carry rules or training and few would want the feds involved. In Nevada it is required to have 8 hours of classroom training and to pass a written test and a shooting qual. I considered the day a success if the students understood the use of deadly force and the 4 rules of firearms safety. I know of zero competent instructors that allow any ammunition or loaded firearms into the classroom area.

I have never, to my knowledge, had a former student be arrested for inappropriate or illegal use of a firearm in Nevada.

mike r
I believe that i should be able to carry as long as i don't or have not done anything BAD.

I know that folks are saying that all of the so called bad guys will also carry but they have to guess who is.
I LOVE Texas! God, guns and country. That is why I recently bought a house there and will be moving soon--can't wait. Also look forward to meeting up with some of the great Texans that post on this forum.
R
We have Constitutional carry here in Kansas. You will see people carrying open just about everywhere sooner or later. People who open carry in public are a whole 'nother thread, actually think it's been done here a time or two. It's their right no matter how bad of a shot they are or what their reasoning is.

Can't be much worse than how bad folks drive at high speed though, something I witness every single day.

Lately the minority left here are saying that CC has resulted in more crime with shootings than ever before. The cause being that so many guns are getting stolen out of vehicles and then used in crimes. 700 last year in Wichita (not a huge place). All these newbie gun owners and users are leaving their weapons in the car!

With freedom comes responsibility, some people just aren't up to that.
Glynn,

We Texicans have a saying, that may be appropriate here relative to the leftists' complaint: Even a blind hog sometimes finds an acorn.

If you want to keep your valuables from being stolen (including your firearms), don't leave them unsecured in vehicles.
(Especially during the holiday shopping period, car burglary is one of the most common crimes. - It seems every day that our local police department has announcements on TV/radio that warn people about leaving Christmas presents in even locked cars & numerous reports of local people, who lost all of their presents to a criminal.)

Tex was a LEO for well over 2 decades & says that generally the safest place for your licensed handgun is ON your person, IN your holster, ready to use for lawful self-defense & secure from being stolen by a criminal.
(One of the things that really irritates my hubby is that, after over 2 decades of carrying a handgun each duty day on post, that he, since retirement, cannot enter the local military facilities W/O returning home to secure his licensed 9mm pistol. Having to do that task is needless, often inconvenient & silly. - Even firearms that are secured in a locked handgun container are prohibited on US military installations.)

Sincerely, DarlaG

The felons that want to carry guns will carry anyway. So you don't agree that the right to keep and bear arms shouldn't be infringed (restricted).
"I've personally seen any number of "shooters" on ranges completely miss a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood from 3M, with all the ammo from their "SD handgun".

Good chance it was their first time shooting a pistol. You should have offered to help them, that's what I do. Would you allow one of those "shooters" to take a shot at you? Even if a person isn't a good shot the bad guy doesn't know that.
"I would prefer to see them strike the Prohibitive laws form the books rather than pass a law that allows Constitutional Carry."

That should happen nationwide!
"void all such State prohibitions that forbid felons carrying weapons. - This is called : Unintended consequences:

Felons will always carry weapons no matter what the law says or what the threat is of being punished if they get caught.
"since retirement, cannot enter the local military facilities W/O returning home to secure his licensed 9mm pistol."

Sure he can I've done it many times, it's just not legal according to military law. I'm more offended by the fact the active military personal can't be armed on their own facility.
Glynn,

We Texicans have a saying, that may be appropriate here relative to the leftists' complaint: Even a blind hog sometimes finds an acorn.

If you want to keep your valuables from being stolen (including your firearms), don't leave them unsecured in vehicles.
(Especially during the holiday shopping period, car burglary is one of the most common crimes. - It seems every day that our local police department has announcements on TV/radio that warn people about leaving Christmas presents in even locked cars & numerous reports of local people, who lost all of their presents to a criminal.)

Tex was a LEO for well over 2 decades & says that generally the safest place for your licensed handgun is ON your person, IN your holster, ready to use for lawful self-defense & secure from being stolen by a criminal.
(One of the things that really irritates my hubby is that, after over 2 decades of carrying a handgun each duty day on post, that he, since retirement, cannot enter the local military facilities W/O returning home to secure his licensed 9mm pistol. Having to do that task is needless, often inconvenient & silly. - Even firearms that are secured in a locked handgun container are prohibited on US military installations.)

Sincerely, DarlaG

What's this "licensed handgun" nonsense???

If you are in Texas, there is no such thing as a "licensed handgun"!!
I'm a big believer in the saying that "An armed society is a polite society" (I don't remember who said it). Being armed with a firearm is a great equalize! A little 40 gr .22 bullet in the brain can instantly turn even the toughest guy in the world into a pile of dead meat. If the criminals suspected that everybody might be armed they might not attempt to rob, rape or kill them.
"I believe that i should be able to carry as long as i don't or have not done anything BAD."

Who gets to decide what's BAD? The right to keep and bear arms doesn't require that you have to be GOOD.
Sure he can I've done it many times, it's just not legal according to military law. I'm more offended by the fact the active military personal can't be armed on their own facility.

In 1968-69, while in the Army in QuiNhon, Vietnam, most people were not allowed to have ammo on our compound. I was, because we had to have an armed guard at our radio rig when crypto gear was present. When an alert was sounded, they had to go to the supply room for ammo. I though it crazy, and said so to anybody that would listen, but it did no good. Thank goodness that we had Korean, ROK's around us. miles
GonHunting,

While you are technically correct, I seriously doubt that any Texan didn't understand what I meant. - Owners, rather than objects, are licensed by DPS to carry concealed/openly.

Sincerely, Darla
Originally Posted by Rhettsker
I LOVE Texas! God, guns and country. That is why I recently bought a house there and will be moving soon--can't wait. Also look forward to meeting up with some of the great Texans that post on this forum.
R

Rhettsker,

Texas will welcome you, when you "join the party".

ALL Texans are either emigrants or the descendants of emigrants. - Even our Native tribes are from elsewhere in the Western Hemisphere & arrived in what is now Texas within 5 centuries or much more recently.
(In my case, I was born & raised in Washington & Oregon & came to TX seeking work about 5 years ago, met/lassoed my guy & am now a PROUD "Tex-Anne" by adoption.)

Sincerely, DarlaG

At my very first CCW license class like 25 years ago (when the law first passed) there was a lady that missed the the closeset target (3 yards?) multiple times. And then had other signficant safety handling issues. She still passed! Having people like that walking around carrying firearms is very disconcerning.

Mutatis mutandis, this could be a statement about some people walking around exercising their right to vote.
Originally Posted by mathman

At my very first CCW license class like 25 years ago (when the law first passed) there was a lady that missed the the closeset target (3 yards?) multiple times. And then had other signficant safety handling issues. She still passed! Having people like that walking around carrying firearms is very disconcerning.

Mutatis mutandis, this could be a statement about some people walking around exercising their right to vote.

mathman,

In our opinion, there are any number of people who are so filled with unreasoning hate, brainless
and/or ignorant that they really shouldn't be voting OR wearing arms.

Sincerely, Tex/DarlaG
Sincerely, Tex/DarlaG

Is this a joint effort now?

If so, DH must have returned from the field... smile
I was born & raised in Washington & Oregon & came to TX seeking work about 5 years ago,

Snowflake go home.
She/he/it may still be in OR.
Originally Posted by curdog4570
She/he/it may still be in OR.
Didn't Jello go ahead and have his nuts removed?
rockinbbar; All,

Marriage (IF a marriage is actually the way that The Savior intended = The Good Book says something about, "they shall become one flesh".) has forever been "a joint effort" & my beloved Darla has always "read over my shoulder" & commented on what she reads, as I often read over hers.

DIM-wits like "Ethan Edwards" would do well to keep their big mouth shut, as Darla is no "meek pussy-cat" but instead is a leopardess, full-grown, despite her outward beauty, soft voice & quite petite size.
She is smarter/better educated than 99% of "keyboard commandos" & her "critics" are & can/has stripped the hide off big-mouthed jackasses/morons/leftists, without once raising her voice and/or using even one vulgar word. ======> LIBs, Trump-HATERS, bigots, DIMocRAT fools, "gun-control advocates", feminazis, hateful atheists & other mostly worthless creatures have felt her claws on more than one forum on the Worldwideweird.
(I often chuckle when she humiliates haters/fools & their responses make it obvious that they don't understand that their dim-witted comments have been stripped bare of any credibility & that she has cut them down to size.).
Addenda: I truly LOL at the response ("Huh?") of a HATER on one of the "newspaper commentary forums" (that she reads/contributes to) & who threatened to leave forever if Darla wasn't banned from commenting by the editors from the forum. - Dara said to him, "Nothing that you have contributed to this forum has graced it quite so much as your planned departure."

Note to friends: YES, I've been "up to my ears" in several TPWD projects for more than 6 weeks ("from could till couldn't") & thus have been AWOL from this & several other forums that I normally frequent. - The mammal studies & related projects that our team are doing are MUCH more important than anything that I'm ever likely to say here or on any other www forum.

That said, I should be back regularly on this forum by CHRIST-mass week.
(For now, I have to head out to the Nature Center again. = Work awaits.)

yours, tex

laugh laugh laugh
© 24hourcampfire