Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's illegal for violent felons to possess firearms in Texas, so Concealed carry, Open Carry or Constitutional Carry doesn't apply to them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The COTUS says nothing about felons not being able to carry guns. To me, "constitutional carry" means what it says. Like I said, I hope there are some restrictions.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
The COTUS says nothing about felons not being able to carry guns. To me, "constitutional carry" means what it says. Like I said, I hope there are some restrictions.

Then the State passes a law that says we have to adhere to the constitution?

Shouldn't we be doing that already?

Can a state pass a law saying said state won't adhere to the constitution?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by DarlaG
To All,

Fyi, I've personally seen any number of "shooters" on ranges completely miss a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood from 3M, with all the ammo from their "SD handgun". - Persons who cannot shoot better than that make me nervous even thinking of them trying to shoot in a crowded public area like across a café dining room.

just my/our opinions, DarlaG

Dear Darla-

I've personally shot alongside of LEO at ranges for damn near 30 years, and it is only recently that more than 25% of them can hit anything. And this is the group who goes to the range, who are more interested in shooting.

As a group, a a rule, LEO are no better marksmen than a cross section of random firearms owners.

Just my observations, Me.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

...Fyi, I've personally seen any number of "shooters" on ranges completely miss a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood from 3M, with all the ammo from their "SD handgun". - Persons who cannot shoot better than that make me nervous...

ROFL! Now THAT is some poor shooting at 3M. Perhaps a coach would help, but then again, maybe not. Those folks are obviously scared to death of their own firearms, I would guess.

Agreed, they would also make me nervous, enough so to belly crawl away from the area.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
ANY person lawfully able to possess firearms can carry, open or concealed, in WV, not just residents. We've long been able to carry openly without a permit and concealed with one, but this has simplified things. I still maintain my license because I often drift over into VA (about 2 miles away), but even there open carry sans permit is okay. On the few occasions when I've gone out wearing a gun in the open no one's looked twice at me. Keeping it concealed has an advantage I think, if I ever need it.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by stxhunter
we do regardless.

No schitt. I love Texas!

Not unusual to see someone in any venue with a gun. And the best part is that its regarded as not unusual....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Laws only affect. those that obey them. Gang bangers don’t follow laws. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Online poll at end of article, vote on this one!

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article221904935.html

November 26, 2018 06:30 AM

There may be a new gun fight at the Texas Capitol next year.

State Rep. Jonathan Stickland has filed a bill to allow “Constitutional Carry” — to let any Texan who legally owns a handgun carry it openly or concealed without first getting a permit — across the state.

“It is a major legislative priority for the Republican Party and very popular with my constituents,” said Stickland, R-Bedford. “I think there’s a real need for it.”

Texans have long been able to openly carry rifles and shotguns without a license except in places where carrying long guns is specifically outlawed.

As for handguns, laws have evolved to let gun owners carry handguns openly or concealed, in most areas of the state, including some college campuses.

But they need a License to Carry, which requires Texans to undergo training and pay a fee to have the license.

“This bill will make License to Carry optional,” Stickland said. “We would no longer require a license to carry a gun in Texas.”

This proposal, which comes in the wake of deadly school shootings and proposed school safety plans, could be part of a bigger safety discussion in the legislative session that begins Jan. 8.

Opponents say a majority of Texans are not calling for this change.

“Unlicensed carry is out of the mainstream,” said Marsha McCartney, a spokeswoman for the Texas chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. “It is not what Texans want.

“Maybe (Stickland) should pay a little attention to what they do want.”

Stickland filed bills to allow constitutional carry in Texas in both 2015 and 2017, but they were overshadowed by other gun proposals.

The measure last year made it farther than in the past, being heard in a committee hearing, although it never reached the Texas House floor.

After the proposal died, “we made a decision, as much as we can, to help Texas pass constitutional carry next year,” Tim Macy, chairman of Gun
Owners of America, said during the Republican Party of Texas state convention in June. “We will use resources ... to push the Legislature and governor (to make law) constitutional carry.”

Republicans long have had the call for constitutional carry in their party’s platform, an outline of party beliefs that candidates do not always follow and are not bound by.

He said he believes it will gain support from more Republicans and a growing number of Democrats.

“They understand that when you have to pay a fee and take a test for your rights, that’s hurting minorities more than anything else.”

Guns in Texas

But that doesn’t mean such a proposal will pass the Texas Legislature this year, McCartney said.

“I would suggest to Mr. Stickland that he try really hard to get in with the mainstream,” McCartney said. “He didn’t get even 50 percent during this election.

“That means there are a whole lot of people who don’t agree with him.”

Stickland won his re-election bid with 49.83 percent, to Democratic challenger Steve Riddell’s 47.40 percent and Libertarian Eric P. Espinoza’s 2.75 percent.

Stickland, who noted that he “didn’t really even campaign” in his re-election bid, believes this bill will go farther in 2019 than it did last year.

“I think it’s the year it can pass the House,” Stickland said. “And I highly doubt (Lt. Gov.) Dan Patrick will want it dying in the Senate.”

that should speed things up around the sofa dumpster!

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

The point being missed in every gun law court assessment is that people who support constitutional carry never ever state, claim, or attempt, to make the ruling compulsory for the populous.

The partisans who are anti constitutional carry do and actively seek, compulsory legislation to prevent the populous from their rights.

Lawyers overall, are amazingly inept at including this fundamental difference in their arguments.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
rockinbbar,

It will only take one federal district judge to decide that Constitutional Carry is a "basic civil right" to void all such State prohibitions that forbid felons carrying weapons. - This is called : Unintended consequences.

Sincerely, DarlaG/Tex

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What’s a “ DH”?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Originally Posted by kid0917

...Fyi, I've personally seen any number of "shooters" on ranges completely miss a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood from 3M, with all the ammo from their "SD handgun". - Persons who cannot shoot better than that make me nervous...

ROFL! Now THAT is some poor shooting at 3M. Perhaps a coach would help, but then again, maybe not. Those folks are obviously scared to death of their own firearms, I would guess.

Agreed, they would also make me nervous, enough so to belly crawl away from the area.

Originally Posted by kid0917

kid0917,

VERY TRUE. ------ Unfortunately, my DH has seen "sworn officers" who shoot almost as poorly when "qualifying".

Sincerely, DarlaG/Tex

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I've seen this a few times myself. If the shooter is willing, I offer my services to help them with there firearm. Most are glad for the help. Many times they're afraid of their gun because it's loud (no hearing protection) and it kicks too much. The noise we can fix as I usually have an extra pair of ear muffs in the truck. Recoil is not so easy but we work around it.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No answer so I’ll hazard a guess as far as the meaning of D H.

Dumbass Husband ?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
someone is pulling a larry root.... lmao.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by curdog4570
What’s a “ DH”?

curdog4570,

Sorry for the delay. - I just saw your question.

I should have known that that commonplace "Internet shorthand" might not be clear to everyone. - "DH" is the usual/affectionate abbreviation for: "Dear Husband".

Sincerely, DarlaG

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The cops here used to practice on our indoor range. As a rule they were the worst shots I've ever seen. They hit everything but the target. Bullet holes in the target frames, floor and walls were common when they were shooting.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by stxhunter
we do regardless.

Indeed we do.

Bring it. Why should I have my day interrupted and have to produce a piece of paper to support my innocence?

We'd have had this already, several years ago, had it not been for that cretin Joe Strauss.

Yep a whole lot of that going on all over.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
PJGunner,

Keeping one's eyes open when you pull (or jerk) the trigger helps too. - Yes, I've seen any number of "shooters" on a range trying to shoot with eyes squeezed tightly shut.

As a recently wed lady & "never even held a gun" until I met Tex, I now have my own Remington Model 7615 carbine in 5.56NATO, an Airweight "Ladysmith" in .38SPL, am awaiting my Texas CHL & am looking for a shotgun that at 60"/90# that I can shoot comfortably, for birds/small game.
Marrying a "dedicated hunter & fisherman" means "joining the party" or sitting home alone & "being left out" for much of the Spring/Summer/Hunting season.
(My Hubby is a retired career LEO, MP officer & Rangemaster, so I'm lucky enough to have had good teachers. A retired Command Sergeant Major, who is Tex's best friend, "took me under his wing" & started me off shooting a .22 Colt Diamondback. Once I could hit with that revolver, he loaned me a S&W Bodyguard.)

Sincerely, DarlaG

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (219 Wasp, 10ring1, 204guy, 22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 40 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,853
Posts18,517,617
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.