Home
Posted By: Sevastopol God and Wkisky - 05/18/19
Sitting here sipping some whisky, and have reached that magical point where you are just plain content. It occurred to me that one of the greatest things in God's intelligent design is the ability of certain substances to cause us to get blitzed when consumed. I know, of course, that it is The Devil's work that some of you can't control yourselves. Can't do the milder stuff because I get tested but, from what I hear, you get there quicker and stay there longer. Anyway, happy, happy, happy wishes to you. :-)
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: God and Wkisky - 05/18/19
Seems you've had enough or a wee bit too much
Posted By: Starman Re: God and Wkisky - 05/18/19
if you start having visions like a chariot in the sky driven by flaming angels with four faces and six wings

Then We know what effects Ezekiel was under at the time...

If the police report says you told them you were driving such a chariot when they pulled you over,
then I suspect you are mixing something with your alcohol that Ezekiel didn't have access to...
Posted By: Sevastopol Re: God and Wkisky - 05/18/19
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Seems you've had enough or a wee bit too much

As I was writing, just enough. To achieve that constant mellow...
Originally Posted by Starman
if you start having visions like a chariot in the sky driven by flaming angels with four faces and six wings

Then We know what effects Ezekiel was under at the time...

If the police report says you told them you were driving such a chariot when they pulled you over,
then I suspect you are mixing something with your alcohol that Ezekiel didn't have access to...

I knew a guy named Ezequiel, but he didn't drink.
Originally Posted by Sevastopol
Sitting here sipping some whisky, and have reached that magical point where you are just plain content.

Fleeting Happiness is just a momentary lapse of reality, best enjoy it while it lasts. .. grin
Sitting here sipping some whisky, and have reached that magical point where you are just plain content.

Fleeting Happiness is just a momentary lapse of reality, best enjoy it while it lasts. .. grin

Oh, I've been happy many times. For example: I ran into Susie the other night...I knew enough to enjoy it while it lasted.
Galatians 5:

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh.
They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.

18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;
20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions
21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this
will not inherit the kingdom of God.

It occurred to me that one of the greatest things in God's intelligent design is the ability of certain substances
to cause us to get blitzed when consumed.

What was God thinking when He did that?

Seems God gave man every means to trip himself up...knowning that man is going to try most of them at some point.

If you are going to transgress at least do it with the help of best whisky you can afford.
Posted By: hanco Re: God and Wkisky - 05/18/19
I like whiskey also, Jack Daniels is my favorite
Galatians 5:

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh.
They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.

18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;
20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions
21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this
will not inherit the kingdom of God.

It occurred to me that one of the greatest things in God's intelligent design is the ability of certain substances
to cause us to get blitzed when consumed.

What was God thinking when He did that?

Seems God gave man every means to trip himself up...knowning that man is going to try most of them at some point.

If you are going to transgress at least do it with the help of best whisky you can afford.

Re: Galatians 18, my favourite spirit is whisky. That whole thing you quoted is confusing, though.
Originally Posted by hanco
I like whiskey also, Jack Daniels is my favorite

Jack Daniels is a great ingredient.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: God and Wkisky - 05/18/19
Put the bottle up and sleep now.
[quote=mtnsnake]Put the bottle up and sleep now.[/quote
What's keeping you up? R U feeling ornery?
Posted By: shaman Re: God and Wkisky - 05/18/19
It may very well be that the impetus for civilization itself may be the desire of human beings to make and consume alcohol. That's a theory that's been put forward in the past 40 years, and I think it's true. The practice certainly pre-dates us as a species. It's been documented among apes.

For industrial alcohol production, most likely beer, you need grain and a stable organized group. You're not going to be able to do this ad-hoc in a cave and get anywhere with it. We see evidence developing in the Fertile Crescent. Right about the time you see grain being grown. You see beer production.

It makes a lot of sense. Intoxication is just a byproduct of the deal. The real goal here is pain reduction. When you're life expectancy is down around 25, living to the ripe old age of 40 must have been a grueling process.

When I started venturing to my wife's home county down on the KY/TN border, my wife's kin were absolutely amazed by my behavior. Before dinner every night, I'd pull out a flask and pour myself a Scotch. My MIL was the first to bring up the point. Down there, you either were a drunkard and a sinner, or you had repented alcohol entirely and joined the church. I was something wholly different. It took a few years before she realized that I was perfectly capable of giving myself a dose of Scotch every day without becoming a dipsomanic. I find that it quiets the mind, relaxes the joints and aids in digestion. I sleep more soundly and wake more refreshed.
Originally Posted by shaman
It may very well be that the impetus for civilization itself may be the desire of human beings to make and consume alcohol. That's a theory that's been put forward in the past 40 years, and I think it's true. The practice certainly pre-dates us as a species. It's been documented among apes.

For industrial alcohol production, most likely beer, you need grain and a stable organized group. You're not going to be able to do this ad-hoc in a cave and get anywhere with it. We see evidence developing in the Fertile Crescent. Right about the time you see grain being grown. You see beer production.

It makes a lot of sense. Intoxication is just a byproduct of the deal. The real goal here is pain reduction. When you're life expectancy is down around 25, living to the ripe old age of 40 must have been a grueling process.

When I started venturing to my wife's home county down on the KY/TN border, my wife's kin were absolutely amazed by my behavior. Before dinner every night, I'd pull out a flask and pour myself a Scotch. My MIL was the first to bring up the point. Down there, you either were a drunkard and a sinner, or you had repented alcohol entirely and joined the church. I was something wholly different. It took a few years before she realized that I was perfectly capable of giving myself a dose of Scotch every day without becoming a dipsomanic. I find that it quiets the mind, relaxes the joints and aids in digestion. I sleep more soundly and wake more refreshed.

Awesome post!

Thank you.
Whiskey river, take my mind!!!
Posted By: jackmountain Re: God and Wkisky - 05/18/19
I was there 6 hrs ago. Now it's 6:20am, I have to get to work and my head's pounding. 3 xl cups of coffee and all will be better. Rinse, wash, repeat.....
Good night.
We are going dancing tonight, I plan on having some Jack!!
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: God and Wkisky - 05/18/19
Pity the poor ancients. Before the process of distilling was invented, the only way to make alcohol was by fermentation (beer or wine). Alcohol content was limited to 14%. Higher than that and the bacteria that cause the fermentation are poisoned.
Posted By: ERK Re: God and Wkisky - 05/18/19
I partake of whiskey also. If you don’t approve kindly keep it to yourself. Ed k
Posted By: gregintenn Re: God and Wkisky - 05/18/19
God and Wkisky

I love em both!
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: God and Wkisky - 05/18/19
Camped on some river bar or back in the brush aways, dinner consumed, ain’t nothing finer than a few shots of good whiskey.

Sweet dreams
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: God and Wkisky - 05/18/19
Down there, you either were a drunkard and a sinner, or you had repented alcohol entirely and joined the church.

It was much the same where I grew up in rural Mississippi. Nothing drew the ire of Baptist housewives more than alcohol, admitting that you took a drink pretty much equated you to a devil worshipper in their minds. The funny part is that the sexual mores of country folk around here has always been a little suspect, half of those housewives were pregnant when they got married and a bunch of others suddenly went to live with relatives for a year during their teenage years. Their daughters might have been the local high school mattress but that was better than them drinking in their minds.

Prohibition and the WCTU warped a lot of minds.
We had s bunch of girls turn up pregnant when I was a senior. Bad water!
Documentary on Robert johnson on Netflix. Claims the preachers got tired of the members money getting spent at the juke joint on Saturday night and nothing left for them to steal out of the offering plates on Sunday morning. Convinced the womens that alcohol was the devil in order to get more $$ coming in.
Posted By: Gus Re: God and Wkisky - 05/18/19
in our rural, dry county growing up, the baptist preachers and the boot-leggers always banded together to keep the county dry. they both saw it as beneficial to their overall interests.

the local sheriff always just hated it when an un-authorized bootlegger moved in and started plying his wares.

there needs be a consistency, a status quo in such operations.

Posted By: ironbender Re: God and Wkisky - 05/18/19
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Camped on some river bar or back in the brush aways, dinner consumed, ain’t nothing finer than a few shots of good whiskey.

Sweet dreams

Not into spirits, but pard and I always dream of the day that we'll have a dedicated beer-horse.
Originally Posted by Gus
in our rural, dry county growing up, the baptist preachers and the boot-leggers always banded together to keep the county dry. they both saw it as beneficial to their overall interests.

the local sheriff always just hated it when an un-authorized bootlegger moved in and started plying his wares.

It can't be stopped, but it can be controlled. Much like the drug trade.
Posted By: Gus Re: God and Wkisky - 05/18/19
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by Gus

It can't be stopped, but it can be controlled. Much like the drug trade.

i'm in total agreement. on one side of the equation is intense and increased regulation/control.

on the other side is gradual increased legalization with appropriate taxes.

the federal, state & local levels will require the re-allocation of resources.

re-allocation of resources can result in the gnashing of teeth?

but we can minimize that through careful planning.
Posted By: Dutch Re: God and Wkisky - 05/19/19

The articles I read emphasized more of the sterility of beer and wine; in early civilization, the water supply was always contaminated with animal and human waste, and the only way to drink something uncontaminated was through fermentation.

I had to laugh at the experience with your MIL. Living behind the Zion curtain (Mormon country), as I do, it took over 20 years before people could comprehend that a non-member can actually work hard, deal fairly in business, provide for his family, all while enjoying a great Rye at the end of the work day before supper.

One of my favorite stories is from 20 years ago, when I came into town after starting the farm. Went to the local cafe, sat down and ordered a cup of coffee. The instant response from the waitress was "if you are going to smoke, you have to sit over there" (pointing at the smoking section). Some folks live in a very black and white world..... Have a cup of coffee, and instantly you're seen as a smoking, drinking philanderer that can't be trusted. It's actually a great drain on their communities, because any teen that makes a mistake (has a drink, coffee, cigarette, fling, whatever) has no reason not to proceed to full on debauchery; in for a penny, in for a pound. Really a sad thing to see happen to a good kid.
Posted By: hanco Re: God and Wkisky - 05/19/19
Had about a dozen last night, ain’t doing much today.
© 24hourcampfire