Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I partake of whiskey also. If you don’t approve kindly keep it to yourself. Ed k

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
God and Wkisky

I love em both!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Camped on some river bar or back in the brush aways, dinner consumed, ain’t nothing finer than a few shots of good whiskey.

Sweet dreams

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by shaman
Down there, you either were a drunkard and a sinner, or you had repented alcohol entirely and joined the church.

It was much the same where I grew up in rural Mississippi. Nothing drew the ire of Baptist housewives more than alcohol, admitting that you took a drink pretty much equated you to a devil worshipper in their minds. The funny part is that the sexual mores of country folk around here has always been a little suspect, half of those housewives were pregnant when they got married and a bunch of others suddenly went to live with relatives for a year during their teenage years. Their daughters might have been the local high school mattress but that was better than them drinking in their minds.

Prohibition and the WCTU warped a lot of minds.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
We had s bunch of girls turn up pregnant when I was a senior. Bad water!

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Documentary on Robert johnson on Netflix. Claims the preachers got tired of the members money getting spent at the juke joint on Saturday night and nothing left for them to steal out of the offering plates on Sunday morning. Convinced the womens that alcohol was the devil in order to get more $$ coming in.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
in our rural, dry county growing up, the baptist preachers and the boot-leggers always banded together to keep the county dry. they both saw it as beneficial to their overall interests.

the local sheriff always just hated it when an un-authorized bootlegger moved in and started plying his wares.

there needs be a consistency, a status quo in such operations.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Camped on some river bar or back in the brush aways, dinner consumed, ain’t nothing finer than a few shots of good whiskey.

Sweet dreams

Not into spirits, but pard and I always dream of the day that we'll have a dedicated beer-horse.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Gus
in our rural, dry county growing up, the baptist preachers and the boot-leggers always banded together to keep the county dry. they both saw it as beneficial to their overall interests.

the local sheriff always just hated it when an un-authorized bootlegger moved in and started plying his wares.

It can't be stopped, but it can be controlled. Much like the drug trade.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by Gus

It can't be stopped, but it can be controlled. Much like the drug trade.

i'm in total agreement. on one side of the equation is intense and increased regulation/control.

on the other side is gradual increased legalization with appropriate taxes.

the federal, state & local levels will require the re-allocation of resources.

re-allocation of resources can result in the gnashing of teeth?

but we can minimize that through careful planning.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman
It may very well be that the impetus for civilization itself may be the desire of human beings to make and consume alcohol. That's a theory that's been put forward in the past 40 years, and I think it's true. The practice certainly pre-dates us as a species. It's been documented among apes.

For industrial alcohol production, most likely beer, you need grain and a stable organized group. You're not going to be able to do this ad-hoc in a cave and get anywhere with it. We see evidence developing in the Fertile Crescent. Right about the time you see grain being grown. You see beer production.

It makes a lot of sense. Intoxication is just a byproduct of the deal. The real goal here is pain reduction. When you're life expectancy is down around 25, living to the ripe old age of 40 must have been a grueling process.

When I started venturing to my wife's home county down on the KY/TN border, my wife's kin were absolutely amazed by my behavior. Before dinner every night, I'd pull out a flask and pour myself a Scotch. My MIL was the first to bring up the point. Down there, you either were a drunkard and a sinner, or you had repented alcohol entirely and joined the church. I was something wholly different. It took a few years before she realized that I was perfectly capable of giving myself a dose of Scotch every day without becoming a dipsomanic. I find that it quiets the mind, relaxes the joints and aids in digestion. I sleep more soundly and wake more refreshed.

The articles I read emphasized more of the sterility of beer and wine; in early civilization, the water supply was always contaminated with animal and human waste, and the only way to drink something uncontaminated was through fermentation.

I had to laugh at the experience with your MIL. Living behind the Zion curtain (Mormon country), as I do, it took over 20 years before people could comprehend that a non-member can actually work hard, deal fairly in business, provide for his family, all while enjoying a great Rye at the end of the work day before supper.

One of my favorite stories is from 20 years ago, when I came into town after starting the farm. Went to the local cafe, sat down and ordered a cup of coffee. The instant response from the waitress was "if you are going to smoke, you have to sit over there" (pointing at the smoking section). Some folks live in a very black and white world..... Have a cup of coffee, and instantly you're seen as a smoking, drinking philanderer that can't be trusted. It's actually a great drain on their communities, because any teen that makes a mistake (has a drink, coffee, cigarette, fling, whatever) has no reason not to proceed to full on debauchery; in for a penny, in for a pound. Really a sad thing to see happen to a good kid.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Had about a dozen last night, ain’t doing much today.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 222ND, 1beaver_shooter, 46 invisible), 1,719 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,051
Posts18,521,271
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.