Home
Posted By: johnw SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
What kind of side by side does a full sized adult male drive?

I have zero experience except for the 2 polaris machines I tried today. Same dealer also sells honda but I couldn't wedge my azz into the seat on the honda as they were just too small.

I drove the Polaris Ranger 900 and a 1000. The 1000 had a few more doodads and features but they both felt like pretty capable machines. The 900 was louder than the 1000 and I wondered why...

Either of the polaris machines was decently comfortable to drive but they both required more movement to get to the brake than I really would have liked, given the pretty compact seating arrangement. Seemed like moving the seat back even an inch would have helped, but the frame wouldn't permit that.

Is there a machine with more room for the driver? I have no preference in maker as I have no experience. The polarises and hondas I looked at are simply all that is sold locally
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
Of all of them I like the 900 Polaris.

For us its the best balance of size and performance.
Posted By: kroo88 Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Jim, we’ll need photos of you behind the wheel .

You know....proof of balance and such.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19

^^^This^^^
Posted By: johnw Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
Is there anything with more room for the driver?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
My boss is a big guy and he just got a General. Seems to work for him...
Originally Posted by kroo88

Jim, we’ll need photos of you behind the wheel .

You know....proof of balance and such.

Well, its got a pretty good list to port when I drive it.

JohnW....every SXS I have set in has been a bit cramped.

The Polaris is best for me.

I have not sat in a Kawasaki or a Can Am though. I know Barry likes his Kawasaki...and he is a couple inches taller than me. Maybe go find one of them to try.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
Those Roxors look kinda cool for a full size knockabout. About $15k, but hell, everything is stupid expensive these days.

https://www.roxoroffroad.com/
How does the polaris hold up compared to other machines? Might not matter if I can't fit in the other machines,but still seems like I oughtta ask.
Our Ranger has been good.

In 3500 HARD miles the only major whoops was a driver side lower A arm.

I would sure sit in all of them before I dumped 15,000 dollars on a Polaris however!
Posted By: 280shooter Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
We use a Yamaha Wolverine
Take a look at the can am, a little bigger cab than the ranger. I think they are both pretty similar in terms of power and quality. I have the can am commander 800 which is a sport work hybrid model so I can act like a kid when need arises as well as haul and plow with it.
I live near a couple of bigger towns. Will check for other dealers and see what I can

The center console on the can-am doesn't look promising
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
Do you want a 50" or a 60"? The 50 is smaller, of course, and doesn't come in a 4 seater, but it will fit in the bed of a pickup and is legal an all atv trails.
We have a '12 Polaris 50" RZR 800. They're the 900's now.
There are only 4 50's made now that I know of, Polaris RZR in either 570 or 900, Honda Pioneer 500, Can-Am Maverick, either 800 or 1000, and Textron Wildcat Trail.

I haven't driven any other than my RZR 800. I'm good sized and I fit it fine. I do sit on a cushion for a bit more seat height. I have a hip problem that bothers me when I sit low. I put 70 mountain miles on it the last 2 days with no discomfort at all.
I've heard that the Honda 500 is a put-put. It'll get there reliably but it's HP rating is well below the others so don't get in a rush.
Posted By: Pugs Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Those Roxors look kinda cool for a full size knockabout. About $15k, but hell, everything is stupid expensive these days.

https://www.roxoroffroad.com/

These are very cool. I hadn't seen them. Seems like Jeep doesn't like them . grin

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-jeep-like-mahindra-roxor-4x4-in-the-us/
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Do you want a 50" or a 60"? The 50 is smaller, of course, and doesn't come in a 4 seater, but it will fit in the bed of a pickup and is legal an all atv trails.
There are only 4 50's made now that I know of, Polaris RZR in either 570 or 900, Honda Pioneer 500, Can-Am Maverick, either 800 or 1000, and Textron Wildcat Trail.

I haven't driven any other than my RZR 800. I'm good sized and I fit it fine. I do sit on a cushion for a bit more seat height. I have a hip problem that bothers me when I sit low. I put 70 mountain miles on it the last 2 days with no discomfort at all.
I've heard that the Honda 500 is a put-put. It'll get there reliably but it's HP rating is well below the others so don't get in a rush.

Don't know the difference between the 50" and the 60 ". What are they measuring?
Posted By: BluMtn Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
You need to make a decision on what you want to do with your SxS. If it is more of a work type setup I would lean toward the Can-am Defender or the Polaris General. If you want a sport utility then you need to look at the Can-am Commander 1000. The Can-Ams have a wider cab than the rest of the UTVs and the seats sit you in a more vertical position than the Polaris. Personally I have a Can-Am Commander 1000 and it has been trouble free. The rest of the group that I run with all have the RZRs and I spend a considerable amount of time working on them, plus it seems that they are having to return to the dealership a lot for recalls. Width of the SxS. 50" wide outside of tire to outside of tire. The 50s are narrow with narrow cabs. The Commanders are 65" and wide cabs. We ride national forest all year long and the 65s work great. The 72s get a little tough in some places.
We went riding locally this last weekend with some friends that we had not ridden with before and took them to the mountains. They have a Kawasaki Mule 500. We took off up the road and after about 15 minutes of riding I stopped because I had not seen them in my mirror for awhile. I thought the dust may have held them back, but when they finally caught up I found out that their mule will only go 10 to 15 mph up hills and has a top speed of 30 mph. Made for a slow day because he would only travel about 15 on the roads. Once on the trails he did ok until we got into the hilly trails and he did not have the power to climb some of the trails. We had to help him up some of the climbs.
Originally Posted by johnw

Don't know the difference between the 50" and the 60 ". What are they measuring?
It's the maximum width of the UTV. 50" is the same width as an ATV. 60" is wider. The 50 will fit between the wheelwells of a pickup, the 60 won't. Many ATV trails are limited to 50" so the narrow one allows you on many more trails than does the 60. Of course the 50 is more limited for room and seating. It's how you want to use it. Ours is a 50. We often wish we had more room inside but we've gone a LOT of places where the larger ones can't go.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19

First ask your self......

my budget.......my use .....local trail systems/trail width.......2 seat .........4 seat ?

I'm on my third SxS....two previous Yamaha Rhino's....now an '18 Kawaski LE4

My Kawi was purchased new in May '18...now w/2600 miles....DOT glass windshield & rear plastic window

Around $17K OTD....Kawasaki is the only mfg to offer a 3 year warranty...machine is easy to service

Plenty roomy for 4 adults.......62" wide....weighs 1600#.......800 cc V twin power & electric PS

Two seater available giving extra storage behind seats & bigger bed......same frame size & length

Our local Forest is widening trails to 66" where feasable.....most BLM trails are at least this wide or more

All comes down to personal machine preference & what dealers are available...best bang for your buck

Yes you can expect belt drive noise & summer cab heat......some better than others.....

Have a buddy with a new General.....brags of how quiet it is.....all decked out......prob $24K !!!!!!

Happy with my Kawasaki Teryx LE4.....none are perfect for everyone....shop around & test them out...

Suggest for full size SxS a suitable trailer to safely haul machine

https://www.kawasaki.com/products/2020-Teryx4?cm_re=MPP-_-PRODUCTTRIMLIST-_-VEHICLEDETAILS

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

About how many years do you guys get out of a $17,000 SxS ATV?

Two things I failed to mention on the Kawasaki..........

rear brakes......oil bathed multi disc in sealed housing....

engine braking works soo well on long rocky down hill trails
Speed has been brought up.

Flat level grass yesterday and I thought 10-15 miles per hour was exhilarating. Any machine I acquire will be used to see new places and carry items for use and comfort. Dealer yesterday encouraged me to put it through some abrupt steep ditches. Anybody else get white knuckles in the yard?
Dealer told me the Polaris Ranger would not exceed 15 mph with the seat belt unbuckled. PERFECT.....
We actually like that feature.
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence

like any machine.......how well its maintained......how its used.......etc

I've seen some with over 10K miles on them
One other thing to realize about owning a SxS. They are a money pit. You will upgrade to get it the way you want it to handle and preform and then when comes time to sell or trade take Vaseline with you, because you are going to get cobbed either way. Resale on used SxSs sucks.Good for buyer, bad for seller.
Posted By: Reba Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
1969 Ford Bronco with a 302.
Dealer told me the Polaris Ranger would not exceed 15 mph with the seat belt unbuckled. PERFECT.....

all the new machines have that feature

for me normal trail riding......seat belt is on & latched

top end for my machine is right at 50......rev limiter tops out

50 is more than fast enough for most conditions...trail conditions change fast
Originally Posted by BluMtn
One other thing to realize about owning a SxS. They are a money pit. You will upgrade to get it the way you want it to handle and preform and then when comes time to sell or trade take Vaseline with you, because you are going to get cobbed either way. Resale on used SxSs sucks.Good for buyer, bad for seller.

Accessories are stupid expensive.

Dont buy the base machine and expect to save money accessorizing it your self.
Posted By: Raeford Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence

like any machine.......how well its maintained......how its used.......etc

I've seen some with over 10K miles on them

Exactly, my Rhino 660 is an 06' model and doing fine. Mine doesn't have the onboard so idea of hours/mileage.
Paid $8,800 OTD for it new, I hunt from[with] it, haul firewood off the mtn[where I can't get truck] and haul it again from stack to house.
Have replaced the clutch and rear brake pads once each and otherwise just regular maintenance.
I have zero problems getting my 6'4" 240LB frame in it.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
Originally Posted by 280shooter

Same. We really like it.

It does not suck in dust like the Polaris' do. I've ridden in Ranger's and we were covered in dust so bad it was hard to breathe. People I know have invested a lot of money on a hard cab to solve the problem.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I did the math when I bought my commander, the upgraded XT model came with a front bumper, winch, and upgraded tires. All of those things I would have added to the base model, but it was cheaper to get the factory XT.

Then I added the $1700 snow plow, soft top and doors, etc etc. It's pretty easy to get $25k into them anymore. I noticed polaris has heat and ac available now. At those prices I was looking hard at jeep wrangler with a plow.
Posted By: GregW Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Same. We really like it.

It does not suck in dust like the Polaris' do. I've ridden in Ranger's and we were covered in dust so bad it was hard to breathe. People I know have invested a lot of money on a hard cab to solve the problem.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Can you talk more about your Wolverine?
One of the things we have found helps in the dust is instead of a solid rearwindow we use the net rear screen. Allows the air to move out of the cab easier. We have some friends that just bought a new SxS last winter with a cab and it has a heater and power windows. Your pocket book is the only limiting factor when it comes to the SxS world.
Posted By: tzone Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
Find a Yamaha dealer.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

I did the math when I bought my commander, the upgraded XT model came with a front bumper, winch, and upgraded tires. All of those things I would have added to the base model, but it was cheaper to get the factory XT.

Then I added the $1700 snow plow, soft top and doors, etc etc. It's pretty easy to get $25k into them anymore. I noticed polaris has heat and ac available now. At those prices I was looking hard at jeep wrangler with a plow.

We buy used pickups to keep from putting too many miles on our Ranger!
Posted By: JLimbo Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
I'm rolling about the same as Tikka. Got a '17 Teryx on a Costco pricing sale for $12999 but have since added a bunch of accessories. Its comfy, sips gas and with the full soft cab you stay fairly warm in winter with the engine between the seats.

[Linked Image][/URL][/img]

Posted By: farmerfish Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
A lot of the ranchers around here are going with the Can-Am's. I will definetly take a good look at them for my next one.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
Originally Posted by GregW

Same. We really like it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's a 2016 R-Spec SE. The SE model comes with the full skid plate and boot guards, roof, special paint and decals etc. It is a 700 cc so not a real fast machine but I've had it to 52 mph. It will climb just about anything if you're crazy enough. Watch this video to the end. That guy is insane!

Posted By: JTman Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
Originally Posted by JLimbo
I'm rolling about the same as Tikka. Got a '17 Teryx on a Costco pricing sale for $12999 but have since added a bunch of accessories. Its comfy, sips gas and with the full soft cab you stay fairly warm in winter with the engine between the seats.

I have the same machine as Tikka and JLimbo... same year and color as Tikka (4 seater, exact same machine)... 15k out the door and think it was a pretty good deal. I added a split windshield, winch, a Tusk rear window and a few mirrors so I have 16K total into it.

All the 4 seaters are the LE model which includes Fox shocks, power steering, bigger tires than the standard model, LED head lights, and all the TeryX's come with a roof. And they all come with a three year warranty with the option to upgrade that to 6 years for a pretty good price (I can't remember exactly what the price is but I remember thinking it was well worth it)... and you don't have to buy the warranty right away, you can buy it any time within the three year original warranty time period. I still haven't bought it yet but if I'm going to keep mine longer than three years I'm buying it.

You should at least check the TeryX's out, they are a very reliable machine.
[quote=GregW][

It's a 2016 R-Spec SE. The SE model comes with the full skid plate and boot guards, roof, special paint and decals etc. It is a 700 cc so not a real fast machine but I've had it to 52 mph. It will climb just about anything if you're crazy enough. Watch this video to the end. That guy is insane!

I wonder if camera angle isn't a good part of this. Gravity is gravity no matter what you're driving.

Definitely camera angle.......yep I can smell the belt smokin' too......crazy SOB no matter

I almost bought a Wolverine last year...Teryx won out...Yamaha builds good ones too

Even after the initial $17K...I added winch...real A arm guards & front skid..trunk in bed

Swapped out tires/wheels....28-10x14's......added spare tire/wheel carrier.....

Fuel mileage ? Eight gallons will go further than I wanna drive in a days time

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Fuel mileage ? Eight gallons will go further than I wanna drive in a days time
My RZR 800 get about 15 mpg in the rough stuff, well over 20 in high range. The 7 gal tank is good for about 100 miles in any conditions.
I have traveled 130 miles on a tank in the Can-am. it is a 10 gallon tank. When I put my tour rides together I plan around 100 mile a day rides because just about every bodies SxS will get 100 miles out of a tank, but I do tell them to pack extra gas just in case..
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19

Good post. Cub Cadet is an outlier. It doesn't sound like what the OP would want, but it may interest others. They have a 50" with a 400 Subaru industrial engine. The price is right too. It's more utilitarian in the MULE vein, so if performance is the goal, it is certainly the wrong machine.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
I’ve got a Kawasaki Mule FX Pro and have not wanted for something else. Priceless around the farm. Very capable off road.

John
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I’ve got a Kawasaki Mule FX Pro and have not wanted for something else. Priceless around the farm. Very capable off road.

John

I talked to a bud today who got a steal of a deal on a used one. Nothing flashy and not fast, but tough as nails. The Gulf Islands National Seashore uses (or used to I should say, don't know if they still do) them on our barrier islands here. They look like hell from salt air and water but still function just fine after many years.
Posted By: Sig220 Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 07/31/19
I have a 2014 Polaris Ranger (Full size) that I picked up used in 2014 for a song with trailer. It now has 2000 miles on it street and trail with lots of mud combined and the only problem I have had was the ignition switch. I replaced it myself for the cost of the part. I change oil twice a year (early fall and late spring). It runs like a champ. I think any major brand sxs is probably well made and the choice would come down to personal preference or performance. Mine sports a 2" lift and winch, because I like it that way smile. I use the winch to lift the front end to change tires....never got stuck but then I don't try to either.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/01/19
[quote=GregW][

I wonder if camera angle isn't a good part of this. Gravity is gravity no matter what you're driving.

Maybe and I hope so because that video makes my butt pucker! lol
Posted By: Toddly Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/01/19
I’m the only one with a gator 825i? Great machine with a big dump bed, but I use mine mainly for work.
Posted By: shootem Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/01/19
Originally Posted by GregW

Same. We really like it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dude needs a brain bucket bad!! Friggin' tingly when you reach that tipping point on a climb.
Posted By: country_20boy Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/01/19

John

I have 3 friends that have bought the FX Pro in the last 2 years and they are all very, very pleased.
Originally Posted by country_20boy

John

I have 3 friends that have bought the FX Pro in the last 2 years and they are all very, very pleased.

Count me in that crowd. I just bought the Ranch Edition. I really like the idea that the back seats fold up and make the bed bigger. It’s quiet, smooth riding and perfect for the speeds I like to move. It’s plenty big. Steering wheel tilts too.

I’ve had a 2 Gator 825’s, a Gator 835, a Gator 590 and a Polaris Ranger 900. The Kawasaki is my favorite so far.
Here’s mine:

https://www.kawasaki.com/products/2...e=MPP-_-PRODUCTTRIMLIST-_-VEHICLEDETAILS

They also make a version with just the front seat. It has the biggest bed I’ve ever seen on a SxS. I like mine so much I’m probably selling my Gator and buying a second one. I’ll go with the front seat only model on the second one.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/01/19
I just remembered the Honda Talon or even the pioneer. Honda reputation and no CVT drive.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/01/19
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by country_20boy

John

Count me in that crowd. I just bought the Ranch Edition. I really like the idea that the back seats fold up and make the bed bigger. It’s quiet, smooth riding and perfect for the speeds I like to move. It’s plenty big. Steering wheel tilts too.

I’ve had a 2 Gator 825’s, a Gator 835, a Gator 590 and a Polaris Ranger 900. The Kawasaki is my favorite so far.

I've not ridden in it or used it, but my uncle (his farm adjoins mine) owns one of the Mule's that can switch the bed/back seat. Looks very nice and he's well pleased with it. It is large and looks like it would be a comfy vehicle to get in/out of. I think he got it last summer so he's been using it a while.

There's a huge range of sizes across the different manufactures and models out there. Some are as big (maybe bigger) than a jeep and some are barely larger than a regular ATV. Very different designs as well, some for work, some for fun, some that split the difference. Nice to have choices....
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/01/19
We bought a Yamaha Viking last year, and it has been great for our purposes. It is not the fastest (52 mph max) or quietest (engine and somewhat "squeaky"), but it comfortably seats 3 across and meets our needs for tooling around in the national forest. It has good engine braking on the downhills and a differential lock when needed. We do keep an older quad at the cabin in case we want to go on 50 inch trails. The OP asked about roominess. The seats do slide front and back, but you bolt them down when adjusted. My wife does not find that convenient.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/01/19
We run rangers.

Mine is never on dry trails though, it's in flooded fields, water up to the floor boards. I reckon I beat on mine a lot harder than most.

I saw a brand new mule pro whatever it's called 2 years ago come off a Levee and snap am A arm. That was enough for me to say no to those.

The viking seemed good for dry trails but our neighbors kid runs one with mud tires on it and it might move 3 mph in those bogged fields wide open.

Btw- you can buy a seat belt bypass for the ranger for under 10 dollars. I dont really care, cause most of my driving is under 10 mph.

I will say that the ranger does seem tight but it's a lot roomier than a ATV.
Posted By: wldthg Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/01/19
We have very steep logging trails at our camps. We own and use Honda and Yamaha Atv's also we have Yamaha Viking and a Honda Pioneer 500. My Pioneer shaft driven 500 cost less than $9000
It has more than amazed me on what the pioneer can do. Speed is not a factor where we are so 15 mph would be fast. . Web
Posted By: logcutter Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/01/19
My 2007 Rhino 450 is a work horse..My 6'-4.5"/265 lb son has no issues in driving it at all and it is small compared to the new SXS's..I work it pretty hard getting wood and plowing driveways and alley's in the snow which is hard on things..I have not had to replace or repair anything on it yet other than winch line..I am disappointed they discontinued the Yamaha Rhino,I would buy another in a heartbeat..Mine has been bulletproof and I use it hard!

5-6 loads equals about a cord..

[Linked Image]

Snow plowing is hard on things but the Rhino takes it well..

[Linked Image]

And extra weight helps when plowing..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: badger Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/01/19
[Linked Image]

My Pioneer 1000 pushes all the right buttons for me. I had a Pioneer 700 which was great, and a Big Red SXS before that. The 1000 is just more of a good thing. Tops out at 65 mph if running dirt roads, 6 speed dual clutch transmission and a low range. Turf mode too, so you can turn on grass without tearing up the grass, and front and rear diff locks. Can't fault it as a tough, reliable utility vehicle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/01/19
I have the Polaris 900 for the ranch. I've never had an issue with it but I haven't worked it too hard.
Posted By: killerv Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/01/19
I'm 6ft 215 and find my honda 700 plenty comfortable, even the jump seats in the back aren't bad. You could look at the 1000 for a little more room and performance. Honda reputation and no belt.
Posted By: johnw Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/01/19
Appreciate all the input. Enlightening thread, and I see I'm gonna have to check out more than what I've got locally.

Next closest is a Can-Am place 40 miles away. I'm off tomorrow and they're open...

I'll have fun checking things out. If I figure I'd benefit from one It'll come home. I do like to buy used.

I raccoon (reckon) that all these companies would increase sales by thinking of adult sized operators
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/01/19
This is an FYI. Kymco is often overlooked in the ATV/UTV game. They are very good machines. Many of the engines and parts from other makers (both US and Japanese) come from China. Kymco is made in Taiwan. They have been building engines for Honda for over 50 years. They make several BMW engines, some Arctic Cat engines and a few others as well. Because they are a lesser known brand, they can often be had for a very good price.

I have had a Kymco 4X4 automatic MXU450i LE ATV for several years. It came with nice aluminum wheels and a few other extras. I don't use it much, but it has impressed me so far. I paid for it what I would have paid for a Honda Foreman 450 2WD manual base model with stamped steel wheels. Mine will blow the doors off the Honda.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/01/19
[Linked Image]

My 900 ranger flat goes with those 27" mud lites.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/02/19
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
[Linked Image]

My 900 ranger flat goes with those 27" mud lites.

That is a great pic!

Trolling for ducks! lol
Posted By: 280shooter Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/02/19
We had the same dust issue with Polaris in the 2 years that we ran one. Also, getting in and out of the Wolverine is much easier. Nothing against Polaris. They are 2 different machines for 2 different purposes. If you want to race in the desert, get the Polaris. The Wolverine is much more suited to our hunting needs. The best feature of both is that my hunting partner paid for them for use on his ranch.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/02/19
We had the same dust issue with Polaris in the 2 years that we ran one. Also, getting in and out of the Wolverine is much easier. Nothing against Polaris. They are 2 different machines for 2 different purposes. If you want to race in the desert, get the Polaris. The Wolverine is much more suited to our hunting needs. The best feature of both is that my hunting partner paid for them for use on his ranch.

Can't beat that!
Posted By: johnw Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/02/19
Originally Posted by killerv
I'm 6ft 215 and find my honda 700 plenty comfortable, even the jump seats in the back aren't bad. You could look at the 1000 for a little more room and performance. Honda reputation and no belt.

I tried the 2 largest hondas on the lot and was unable to get in the front seat on either one.
Posted By: johnw Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/03/19
And I just got back from checking out the Can Am machines. Difficult to get in and out of and difficult to operate as the foot pedals were just to close and poorly placed, for me.

Same dealer did however have Arctic Cat on the lot as well... I drove a 6 seat Prowler Pro and it was a breeze to get in and out of. All controls were comfortable and easy to use. I'd be the last guy you'd ever wanna ask about performance as I have no knowledge or experience base to draw from. Still, I was impressed by my driving experience.
And awed by what the sales guy did with it with myself, my wife, and our youngest son aboard.

My wife expressed concerns about the machine tipping over. The sales guy had us strap in and tore ass... Ditches, hills Side hill on steep ditches and turning uphill into some mild jumps. I was amazed that the machine could get air with me and my son aboard. 650 lbs between the 2 of us, and the wife and sales guy in the machine, too...

Not only did I fit well in the front seat but the back seats were roomy and comfortable.

Seeking opinions on Arctic Cat SxS UTVs...
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/03/19
And I just got back from checking out the Can Am machines. Difficult to get in and out of and difficult to operate as the foot pedals were just to close and poorly placed, for me.

Same dealer did however have Arctic Cat on the lot as well... I drove a 6 seat Prowler Pro and it was a breeze to get in and out of. All controls were comfortable and easy to use. I'd be the last guy you'd ever wanna ask about performance as I have no knowledge or experience base to draw from. Still, I was impressed by my driving experience.
And awed by what the sales guy did with it with myself, my wife, and our youngest son aboard.

My wife expressed concerns about the machine tipping over. The sales guy had us strap in and tore ass... Ditches, hills Side hill on steep ditches and turning uphill into some mild jumps. I was amazed that the machine could get air with me and my son aboard. 650 lbs between the 2 of us, and the wife and sales guy in the machine, too...

Not only did I fit well in the front seat but the back seats were roomy and comfortable.

Seeking opinions on Arctic Cat SxS UTVs...

https://investor.textron.com/news/n...creational-Vehicle-Industry/default.aspx

Textron is no slouch of a company. They build a good bit of stuff for the military.
Posted By: viking Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/03/19
My nephew is about 6’5 and about 300 ponds, I am 6’4 and 250 ish we both fir easily in the Polaris.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/03/19
K 1500, f 150, ram 1500 options?
With all the pedal complaints you must wear size 15 eee boots.
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
K 1500, f 150, ram 1500 options?
With all the pedal complaints you must wear size 15 eee boots.

16EE
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/03/19
Not sure about the new ones, John but there is a reason Arctic Cat hasn't been mentioned in this thread.
I did a TON of research before I bought Yamaha because I had been been burned on Polaris and Kawasaki ATV's. Everything came back to Yamaha for reliability. That's not saying the rest haven't improved since then. You'll have to do your own research and see what you think about that and what you like personally.

I'll also add, really, really look into the problems Can Am has had. I actually had a Can Am dealer turn me away from them. He said they are in the shop constantly. Focus is on speed not quality, he said.
That's why I'm asking.

As was mentioned above, Textron is a serious outfit. Do they know what they're doing? And do they have a well made machine that they will back with service?

In videos of other machines I hear engine braking mentioned a few times. Not a word about it in any Arctic Cat stuff I've seen so far.
Big Deal?

What is the general feeling towards AC machines?
Posted By: SamOlson Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/03/19
The toughest sxs is a Honda Pioneer.
(the Ford...)

Rides like a POS.

Polaris for general duty.
(Chevy...)
That's why I'm asking.

As was mentioned above, Textron is a serious outfit. Do they know what they're doing? And do they have a well made machine that they will back with service?

In videos of other machines I hear engine braking mentioned a few times. Not a word about it in any Arctic Cat stuff I've seen so far.
Big Deal?

Around here (and I live 90 miles from the plant) the general consensus is AC isn't quite there yet with the quality of ATV/UTV's. But like I said, the last time I researched was 3 years ago so not sure about newer models.

Engine braking is a must if you ride hills, IMO.

With your size requirements, I'd seriously look at the Yamaha Viking.
I'll look around to see where I can drive a viking.

And thanks for the heads up on AC. Looks to be an ongoing thing.

Consumer Affairs Arctic Cat
Originally Posted by SamOlson
The toughest sxs is a Honda Pioneer.
(the Ford...)

Rides like a POS.

Polaris for general duty.
(Chevy...)

This from a Q/A in October, 2018:

I’ve been doing some online research and found your article on the Honda Pioneer 1000 problem. We have had a lot of luck with our machines, but a lot of our friends in the industry are coming to us for help because they seem to be replacing clutches all the time. We know the basic cause—driver error and overheating—but we haven’t busted into our transmission yet to see what’s wearing out. Again, ours are great, but if my clutch was an issue, what would I expect to see? Thanks for the help!

Erik Brunner

SuperATV.com

According to Honda, all the Pioneer 1000’s clutch problems are driver error. Basically, if you are not on level ground at speed, they want you in low range to stop the #1 clutch packs from slipping and overheating. Slow-speed work in high range with passengers and/or cargo/towing a trailer will cause the clutch packs to slip and overheat. And don’t even try to get out of a mud hole if your tires are in gumbo mud and don’t want to turn. And, you can’t use reverse to back out because that is a bit too tall and will burn the #1 clutch packs further. Your only Honda-approved remedy is to be towed or winched out! Once the friction material overheats and glazes over, the #1 clutch will slip or shudder during the transition from a dead stop to forward or reverse movement. Honda’s remedy is a new clutch cover that provides additional cool oil to the twin #1 clutch packs. Nothing has been done to address the weakness of the #1 clutch packs to handle abuse because, according to Honda, it is operator abuse as documented in their Service Bulletin SxS1000 #3, plus the official letter given to purchasers of the 1000s, basically reminding purchasers to follow the operating guidelines as outlined in the owner’s manuals: “Dummy!” So, what will you find? Most likely a standard wet-plate clutch that has been overheated, Boot. A charcoal smell to the plates and maybe the oil. The clutch packs, if disassembled, and the friction discs would be dark in color and glazed shiny. Dismissed!
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/03/19

Yes. I drove the polaris’ and Honda when purchasing mine and I loved the Can Am Defender HD10. More room and quieter than the Polaris. Always been a Honda guy but just couldn’t warm up to the Honda Pioneer 1000.

The Yamaha Viking has even more room but there’s only 1 engine size offered and it’s a 700 cc. GLWP
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/03/19
That's why I'm asking.

Big Deal?

I inherited a 2010 or 11 AC Mudpro ATV. I kept it up until early 2017 with a good bit of use and abuse and the only 3 things I did to it was change the battery, brakes and a starter silonoid. Otherwise I’d say it was a pretty solid machine
Originally Posted by ShortMag11

Yes. I drove the polaris’ and Honda when purchasing mine and I loved the Can Am Defender HD10. More room and quieter than the Polaris. Always been a Honda guy but just couldn’t warm up to the Honda Pioneer 1000.

The Yamaha Viking has even more room but there’s only 1 engine size offered and it’s a 700 cc. GLWP

If you're not looking to fly down trails like a snowmobile, that 700 has proved itself over and over again. It's a great engine and mainly why I bought my 2016 Wolverine. They started making a 4 seater Wolverine last year with an 850cc in it. It's ugly. Like a Pioneer. Gonna need to give that one a few redesigns and cosmetic upgrades before I'll think about it.

I will need to see a few years on that new 850. The 700 is a proven design after many years.
I did a TON of research before I bought Yamaha because I had been been burned on Polaris and Kawasaki ATV's. Everything came back to Yamaha for reliability.

Please explain burned?

So far I've compared 4 lines of ATVs. Honda, Polaris, Can Am, and Arctic Cat. I do intend to try whatever else I can find, but don't wanna drive forever to buy or service.

Just because of size and comfort Honda and Can Am are out of the running.
Really liked the AC, but your remarks led me to check and find the Consumer Reports page. That alone won't knock them out as the dealer has a great reputation, locally. Gonna say that due to the Consumer report page that Polaris is back in front of the pack, for what I've tried.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/03/19
Polaris uses the CVT transmission. I have it on my '12. It's been solid but I'm not crazy about how it works. Supposedly the newer ones have engine braking. On the older ones, EBS is an add on. It will brake very well until you get down to a certain speed, then it drops out of gear and you need to use the brakes. You can often give it a bit of gas to speed up the engine and it will re-engage. It's tricky to learn to use it well. Adding the EBS will keep it in gear to a much lower speed and would be a huge help. Some of the newer models have EBS from the factory and I recommend it if it's an option.

The 4 wheel drive is another thing. When the 4x switch is on, you're still in RWD until a wheel slips. Then the front engages and stays engaged. You usually don't know if you're in 2x or 4x. It's a very smooth shift, though, and I've never had a problem through mud or snow. In the 3 years I've had it, I've never got stuck. It's always just pulled me through. Supposedly, the newer models have been changed to engage the front axle faster.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/03/19

again

Posted By: JamesJr Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/03/19
The Polaris Ranger is the one by which the others are judged. Mine is a 500 that I've had for several years now, and I don't know how I got along without it. My son has the newer version, a 570, and his is little bigger than mine. My nephew has a 900, with the enclosed cab, and it's a nice one too. .

I've never heard anyone saying that they have trouble getting in and out of one, and if you do, the problem probably isn't the UTV's fault. A lot of how well they hold up and how long they last has more to do with the way it's operated and took care of, than the brand it is.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/03/19

fun....work or play

Posted By: shrapnel Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/03/19

Check the used market and see what is selling and for how much. The Polaris RZR seems to be the hottest seller, but if you look at the Yamaha Rhino, they still bring the most money with the most miles.

Yamaha had a winner with the Rhino, I have a 2012 and will be using it for many years to come. Trail size is a big issue around here and the large SxS’s aren’t as good of an option. If trails don’t matter, the larger, the better.

If I was going to look at a new one, I would start with the Yamaha Wolverine first and go from there...
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/03/19
My wife named the Viking "Norse."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bighorn Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/03/19
My Polaris General.
This is the third Polaris I have owned, and the second SxS, the last one being a 2013 RZR 800.
This General is a real piece of work- 100 HP makes the steep hills seem flat. The dump bed has enough room for a spare tire and my Lab, who goes everywhere with us. It has better ground clearance, wheel travel, more width, and more HP than my RZR did, and it makes a huge difference in performance. I originally bought the RZR because of its 50" width, but here in CO we have encountered only a few instances where the width restriction was in place- everywhere else, the 62" width of the General is perfect. Mine came with a winch, roof, and their Ride Command GPS system, which is a very handy addition to any off-road machine that you want to use off the grid.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bigwoods Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/03/19
I love my Yamaha Viking. Did a lot of research and shopping before deciding. Glad i did and feel i made a great decision.
Posted By: johnw Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/04/19
I have no opinion yet on the Yamaha Viking, but there's a Yamaha dealer in Bettendorf Iowa that'll never see my face again. Called them at 9 this morning to ask about the viking. Asked if I could try one out. Yeah, the guy said. Come on down and we'll set you up. It's 60 plus miles to their place. I went down after lunch.

Got in the door and asked for the sales guy I'd talked to earlier and he came right out. Started steering me towards the Polaris machines. I told him I'd already tried the Polaris, and that I wanted to see their Viking. Well, he said. We don't actually have one in stock, right today...

Bye...
Posted By: johnw Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/04/19
And...

Anybody here know about Abernathy Cycle, Union City, Tennessee?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/04/19
I originally bought the RZR because of its 50" width, but here in CO we have encountered only a few instances where the width restriction was in place- everywhere else, the 62" width of the General is perfect.
It's the opposite here in Idaho. We have hundreds of miles of 50" trails.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/04/19
And...

Bought my Polaris there. Cheapest price I could find. 3 year warranty, but I think that was a promotional from Polaris. Call and negotiate, they will deal. I drove in from a ways to get mine, but I was coming home from working, so no big deal. Also no tax, cause I didn't register it.
What kind of side by side does a full sized adult male drive?

I have zero experience except for the 2 polaris machines I tried today. Same dealer also sells honda but I couldn't wedge my azz into the seat on the honda as they were just too small.

I drove the Polaris Ranger 900 and a 1000. The 1000 had a few more doodads and features but they both felt like pretty capable machines. The 900 was louder than the 1000 and I wondered why...

Either of the polaris machines was decently comfortable to drive but they both required more movement to get to the brake than I really would have liked, given the pretty compact seating arrangement. Seemed like moving the seat back even an inch would have helped, but the frame wouldn't permit that.

Is there a machine with more room for the driver? I have no preference in maker as I have no experience. The polarises and hondas I looked at are simply all that is sold locally

As far as getting from one side of the place to the other and hauling several tools in the bed, Ive been pleased with the Kawasaki Mule 4010. Its not gonna win a race though. It has plenty of room up front.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/04/19
And...

I drove there from where I live in Kentucky, and bought mine from them. A bunch cheaper than what I could do locally. A few years after that, my son was going to buy one, and called them to get a price. He could buy one from the Polaris dealer in Benton KY for the same price, so that's where he went.

I also know several other people who have bought theirs from Abernathy's over the years, and I know a couple of guys who've gone to Benton lately and bought one there.

Don't know what state you're in, but I'd get a price from both places, and then pick the one that was closer.
Posted By: bigwoods Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/04/19
I have no opinion yet on the Yamaha Viking, but there's a Yamaha dealer in Bettendorf Iowa that'll never see my face again. Called them at 9 this morning to ask about the viking. Asked if I could try one out. Yeah, the guy said. Come on down and we'll set you up. It's 60 plus miles to their place. I went down after lunch.

Got in the door and asked for the sales guy I'd talked to earlier and he came right out. Started steering me towards the Polaris machines. I told him I'd already tried the Polaris, and that I wanted to see their Viking. Well, he said. We don't actually have one in stock, right today...

Bye...

Thats some shady business!!
Posted By: claytonsdad Re: SxS ATV- Adult Size? - 08/04/19
I've been looking lately. Always been a fan of Yamaha, but I was really disappointed in how they designed the rear seating system in the Wolverine X4. Poor access and bad design of the system to change rear seating to add bed space. The Honda Pioneer doesn't have enough room for me. So far. I've been most impressed with the Polaris Ranger XP1000 and Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT. Very different animals, I know, but each has its strengths. Polaris is big, strong and powerful, but more expensive. Kawasaki has a better warranty, and has the versatility of changing the rear seating over to added cargo space, thus allowing a shorter wheelbase. Won't win many races though.
© 24hourcampfire