Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by johnw
That's why I'm asking.

As was mentioned above, Textron is a serious outfit. Do they know what they're doing? And do they have a well made machine that they will back with service?

In videos of other machines I hear engine braking mentioned a few times. Not a word about it in any Arctic Cat stuff I've seen so far.
Big Deal?

What is the general feeling towards AC machines?

Around here (and I live 90 miles from the plant) the general consensus is AC isn't quite there yet with the quality of ATV/UTV's. But like I said, the last time I researched was 3 years ago so not sure about newer models.

Engine braking is a must if you ride hills, IMO.

With your size requirements, I'd seriously look at the Yamaha Viking.

Last edited by Rooster7; 08/02/19.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll look around to see where I can drive a viking.

And thanks for the heads up on AC. Looks to be an ongoing thing.

Consumer Affairs Arctic Cat

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SamOlson
The toughest sxs is a Honda Pioneer.
(the Ford...)

Rides like a POS.

Polaris for general duty.
(Chevy...)

This from a Q/A in October, 2018:

I’ve been doing some online research and found your article on the Honda Pioneer 1000 problem. We have had a lot of luck with our machines, but a lot of our friends in the industry are coming to us for help because they seem to be replacing clutches all the time. We know the basic cause—driver error and overheating—but we haven’t busted into our transmission yet to see what’s wearing out. Again, ours are great, but if my clutch was an issue, what would I expect to see? Thanks for the help!

Erik Brunner

SuperATV.com

According to Honda, all the Pioneer 1000’s clutch problems are driver error. Basically, if you are not on level ground at speed, they want you in low range to stop the #1 clutch packs from slipping and overheating. Slow-speed work in high range with passengers and/or cargo/towing a trailer will cause the clutch packs to slip and overheat. And don’t even try to get out of a mud hole if your tires are in gumbo mud and don’t want to turn. And, you can’t use reverse to back out because that is a bit too tall and will burn the #1 clutch packs further. Your only Honda-approved remedy is to be towed or winched out! Once the friction material overheats and glazes over, the #1 clutch will slip or shudder during the transition from a dead stop to forward or reverse movement. Honda’s remedy is a new clutch cover that provides additional cool oil to the twin #1 clutch packs. Nothing has been done to address the weakness of the #1 clutch packs to handle abuse because, according to Honda, it is operator abuse as documented in their Service Bulletin SxS1000 #3, plus the official letter given to purchasers of the 1000s, basically reminding purchasers to follow the operating guidelines as outlined in the owner’s manuals: “Dummy!” So, what will you find? Most likely a standard wet-plate clutch that has been overheated, Boot. A charcoal smell to the plates and maybe the oil. The clutch packs, if disassembled, and the friction discs would be dark in color and glazed shiny. Dismissed!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Is there anything with more room for the driver?

Yes. I drove the polaris’ and Honda when purchasing mine and I loved the Can Am Defender HD10. More room and quieter than the Polaris. Always been a Honda guy but just couldn’t warm up to the Honda Pioneer 1000.

The Yamaha Viking has even more room but there’s only 1 engine size offered and it’s a 700 cc. GLWP

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
That's why I'm asking.

As was mentioned above, Textron is a serious outfit. Do they know what they're doing? And do they have a well made machine that they will back with service?

In videos of other machines I hear engine braking mentioned a few times. Not a word about it in any Arctic Cat stuff I've seen so far.
Big Deal?

What is the general feeling towards AC machines?

I inherited a 2010 or 11 AC Mudpro ATV. I kept it up until early 2017 with a good bit of use and abuse and the only 3 things I did to it was change the battery, brakes and a starter silonoid. Otherwise I’d say it was a pretty solid machine

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ShortMag11
Is there anything with more room for the driver?

Yes. I drove the polaris’ and Honda when purchasing mine and I loved the Can Am Defender HD10. More room and quieter than the Polaris. Always been a Honda guy but just couldn’t warm up to the Honda Pioneer 1000.

The Yamaha Viking has even more room but there’s only 1 engine size offered and it’s a 700 cc. GLWP

If you're not looking to fly down trails like a snowmobile, that 700 has proved itself over and over again. It's a great engine and mainly why I bought my 2016 Wolverine. They started making a 4 seater Wolverine last year with an 850cc in it. It's ugly. Like a Pioneer. Gonna need to give that one a few redesigns and cosmetic upgrades before I'll think about it.

I will need to see a few years on that new 850. The 700 is a proven design after many years.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I did a TON of research before I bought Yamaha because I had been been burned on Polaris and Kawasaki ATV's. Everything came back to Yamaha for reliability.

Please explain burned?

So far I've compared 4 lines of ATVs. Honda, Polaris, Can Am, and Arctic Cat. I do intend to try whatever else I can find, but don't wanna drive forever to buy or service.

Just because of size and comfort Honda and Can Am are out of the running.
Really liked the AC, but your remarks led me to check and find the Consumer Reports page. That alone won't knock them out as the dealer has a great reputation, locally. Gonna say that due to the Consumer report page that Polaris is back in front of the pack, for what I've tried.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Polaris uses the CVT transmission. I have it on my '12. It's been solid but I'm not crazy about how it works. Supposedly the newer ones have engine braking. On the older ones, EBS is an add on. It will brake very well until you get down to a certain speed, then it drops out of gear and you need to use the brakes. You can often give it a bit of gas to speed up the engine and it will re-engage. It's tricky to learn to use it well. Adding the EBS will keep it in gear to a much lower speed and would be a huge help. Some of the newer models have EBS from the factory and I recommend it if it's an option.

The 4 wheel drive is another thing. When the 4x switch is on, you're still in RWD until a wheel slips. Then the front engages and stays engaged. You usually don't know if you're in 2x or 4x. It's a very smooth shift, though, and I've never had a problem through mud or snow. In the 3 years I've had it, I've never got stuck. It's always just pulled me through. Supposedly, the newer models have been changed to engage the front axle faster.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

again

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Polaris Ranger is the one by which the others are judged. Mine is a 500 that I've had for several years now, and I don't know how I got along without it. My son has the newer version, a 570, and his is little bigger than mine. My nephew has a 900, with the enclosed cab, and it's a nice one too. .

I've never heard anyone saying that they have trouble getting in and out of one, and if you do, the problem probably isn't the UTV's fault. A lot of how well they hold up and how long they last has more to do with the way it's operated and took care of, than the brand it is.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

fun....work or play

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Check the used market and see what is selling and for how much. The Polaris RZR seems to be the hottest seller, but if you look at the Yamaha Rhino, they still bring the most money with the most miles.

Yamaha had a winner with the Rhino, I have a 2012 and will be using it for many years to come. Trail size is a big issue around here and the large SxS’s aren’t as good of an option. If trails don’t matter, the larger, the better.

If I was going to look at a new one, I would start with the Yamaha Wolverine first and go from there...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife named the Viking "Norse."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
My Polaris General.
This is the third Polaris I have owned, and the second SxS, the last one being a 2013 RZR 800.
This General is a real piece of work- 100 HP makes the steep hills seem flat. The dump bed has enough room for a spare tire and my Lab, who goes everywhere with us. It has better ground clearance, wheel travel, more width, and more HP than my RZR did, and it makes a huge difference in performance. I originally bought the RZR because of its 50" width, but here in CO we have encountered only a few instances where the width restriction was in place- everywhere else, the 62" width of the General is perfect. Mine came with a winch, roof, and their Ride Command GPS system, which is a very handy addition to any off-road machine that you want to use off the grid.

[Linked Image]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I love my Yamaha Viking. Did a lot of research and shopping before deciding. Glad i did and feel i made a great decision.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have no opinion yet on the Yamaha Viking, but there's a Yamaha dealer in Bettendorf Iowa that'll never see my face again. Called them at 9 this morning to ask about the viking. Asked if I could try one out. Yeah, the guy said. Come on down and we'll set you up. It's 60 plus miles to their place. I went down after lunch.

Got in the door and asked for the sales guy I'd talked to earlier and he came right out. Started steering me towards the Polaris machines. I told him I'd already tried the Polaris, and that I wanted to see their Viking. Well, he said. We don't actually have one in stock, right today...

Bye...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And...

Anybody here know about Abernathy Cycle, Union City, Tennessee?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I originally bought the RZR because of its 50" width, but here in CO we have encountered only a few instances where the width restriction was in place- everywhere else, the 62" width of the General is perfect.
It's the opposite here in Idaho. We have hundreds of miles of 50" trails.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
And...

Anybody here know about Abernathy Cycle, Union City, Tennessee?

Bought my Polaris there. Cheapest price I could find. 3 year warranty, but I think that was a promotional from Polaris. Call and negotiate, they will deal. I drove in from a ways to get mine, but I was coming home from working, so no big deal. Also no tax, cause I didn't register it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
What kind of side by side does a full sized adult male drive?

I have zero experience except for the 2 polaris machines I tried today. Same dealer also sells honda but I couldn't wedge my azz into the seat on the honda as they were just too small.

I drove the Polaris Ranger 900 and a 1000. The 1000 had a few more doodads and features but they both felt like pretty capable machines. The 900 was louder than the 1000 and I wondered why...

Either of the polaris machines was decently comfortable to drive but they both required more movement to get to the brake than I really would have liked, given the pretty compact seating arrangement. Seemed like moving the seat back even an inch would have helped, but the frame wouldn't permit that.

Is there a machine with more room for the driver? I have no preference in maker as I have no experience. The polarises and hondas I looked at are simply all that is sold locally

As far as getting from one side of the place to the other and hauling several tools in the bed, Ive been pleased with the Kawasaki Mule 4010. Its not gonna win a race though. It has plenty of room up front.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1OntarioJim, 222ND, 1badf350, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,906
Posts18,518,578
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.