Home
Posted By: woodson New non stick pan worth buying - 08/14/19
Looking to replace a couple non stick pans. Anyone have good experience with quality/durable non stick pans? Not interested in cast iron so this isn’t what this thread is for.
We had our non stick frying pans start to stick and the coating looked bad so we bought new. We settled on Greenpan non stick and they seem to be a better product than what we had before. We hand wash them which I think keeps them from wearing out. Simple to clean with just a sponge and dw liquid.
One of the reasons Greenpan is green is that it’s products are 100 percent PFOA- and PTFE-free. Traditional non-stick pans like Dupont’s Teflon-based nonstick cookware use PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid), which is a synthetic chemical that’s used to manufacture PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene). PFOA is infamous for its ability to kill birds when its fumes are released into the air, according to research by the Environmental Working Group. It’s also has the potential to be a health concern, according to the American Cancer Society. This is part of the reason why Dupont announced its plans to phase out PFOAs in its cookware.
They're all the same. Can't beat cast iron.
Warning: to protect the delicate non-stick surface, keep out of the reach of females.
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
We had our non stick frying pans start to stick and the coating looked bad so we bought new. We settled on Greenpan non stick and they seem to be a better product than what we had before. We hand wash them which I think keeps them from wearing out. Simple to clean with just a sponge and dw liquid.

Where did you buy them and are they expensive?
I've completely given up on non-stick, so no advice here. As a matter of fact, got two new steel skillets and a steel wok delivered today. Season, don't abuse, and they are as non-stick as just about anything.
Cast iron is good, but I have a couple of T-Fal frying pans that I like too.

Jerry
I love the campfire... you ask about non-stick, and get told cast iron. An no, all non-stick are not the same.

I've been around professional kitchens, and for their non-stick needs many use Tramontina. USA made, and fantastic. I have a 12" and love it.

Here's some good review material for non-stick:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-nonstick-pan/

Here's where to buy:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HBKQ1...kCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AwEAAAAAAAAAAR-_
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Found them on Amazon. Not too much $$
I buy kitchen stuff that has gotten good reviews from America’s Test Kitchen. They haven’t let me down yet.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Found them on Amazon. Not too much $$

Thanks!
I'll second T-Fal pans.
We got ours at Bed Bath and Beyond and they weren't that much more than the pans we replaced. The clerk who helped us said that many of their customers really liked the product. It was the best product of its type they sold in his opinion.
Originally Posted by Dutch
I've completely given up on non-stick, so no advice here. As a matter of fact, got two new steel skillets and a steel wok delivered today. Season, don't abuse, and they are as non-stick as just about anything.

How did you season them?
Originally Posted by Brad
I love the campfire... you ask about non-stick, and get told cast iron. An no, all non-stick are not the same.

I've been around professional kitchens, and for their non-stick needs many use Tramontina. USA made, and fantastic. I have a 12" and love it.

Here's some good review material for non-stick:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-nonstick-pan/

Here's where to buy:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HBKQ1...kCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AwEAAAAAAAAAAR-_

Cast iron will last a lifetime and more. And it's nonstick.
Originally Posted by tdbob
I'll second T-Fal pans.

I've had a T Fal non stick for a few years that has a stainless steel bottom. It's been really good, but it time to get a new one, and I don't think they make those anymore. frown
Originally Posted by jaguartx

How did you season them?

Rub olive oil on them and put them in a 200 degree oven.

been looking for a new non stick ( non cast iron ) pan..

thx.......this may be it from Amazon
Been using Sam's Club 9" & 12"fry pans for a many years no problems. Pretty much hand wash everything here.

T Fal

$50 for a 12" pan...better be good
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack

How did you season them?

You’ve done it now.
Originally Posted by woodson
Looking to replace a couple non stick pans. Anyone have good experience with quality/durable non stick pans? Not interested in cast iron so this isn’t the what this thread is for.

After reading this opening, I wonder just how long it will take for the first one to show up.

Update - Now that I've read the thread, it actually took a little longer than I had expected.
All Clad makes some very good stuff. Their Cop R Chef line is extremely good, but pricey. We have had several, for many years, they get used a lot, still work like new, and look good.
Originally Posted by SandBilly

How did you season them?

You’ve done it now.

225 degrees ?
My brother has one of those copper ceramic pans and loves it.

We have some stainless ones, with an aluminum disc clad in stainless on the bottom, that used properly are nearly non -stick.

Have on small tramontina or circulon pan the wife likes and I use on occasion. Held up pretty good, but if my wife didn't like it so much it would get replaced.

I might like to give the steel ones like Dutch one day. Woks work really well once seasoned properly, can't see why a fry pan of the same construction wouldn't.

Good luck,

Geno

How did you season them?

I have no magic to offer.

I remove the oil they are shipped with, and then use whatever oil I use to cook with (olive oil for skillets, peanut oil for woks) and just heat them up on the stove top. Cool them, wipe out the oil again. Start using them. Never use soap. Hot water if necessary, but immediately oil again before putting them away. I've cooked with the wok for 35 years, at least weekly, and nothing sticks. My steel (NOT cast iron!) fry pan makes my eggs most mornings with a little olive oil, and they slide right out. It's going on 10 years now, and just gets better.

Volrath pan at Webrestaurantstore.com. $25 or so.
Originally Posted by night_owl
Warning: to protect the delicate non-stick surface, keep out of the reach of females.

You are so correct it is like you've met my wife and daughter.
We have 4 copper pans we have them probably 4 or 5 years and they have been wonderful not high end stuff they are really durable.
Got Granitestone diamond something and it has been better than the copper, teflon and all so far. They claim it will stand an oven and steel spatula, but not a sharp knife. Haven't tried that yet. 10 inch 20 bucks at Walmart. Will probably go for the 12 inch later. I didnt find a lid though but have one from a stainless set that works
With a little effort you can get anything to stick

In Idaho, Alpo/tater hash doesnt stick to cast-arn above 6500ft. Especially of youve seasoned your pan with pabst blue ribbon and tuna oil.
Originally Posted by slumlord

In Idaho, Alpo/tater hash doesnt stick to cast-arn above 6500ft. Especially of youve seasoned your pan with pabst blue ribbon and tuna oil.

You run outta moon pies or something?

Schit.
I mostly use cast iron but just bought a set of All-Clad fry pans. It's made in the USA and a lifetime warranty. Some of their line can get pricey. No complaints so far.
I'll second T-Fal pans.

We could never get t fal to last.

Lmao
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I'll second T-Fal pans.

We could never get t fal to last.

I can't get anything that's solid aluminum to last. They warp.

But that one T Fal that has the stainless steel bottom hasn't.
I learned long ago I can't keep a cast iron skillet or a good carving knife from my wife's soapy cleanliness and dishwasher infatuation.

Just today I checked on my cast iron skillet hidden in the hunt box. Good to go.
They're probably not the best thing eva, but, I bought two copper colored 10" pans off an infomercial and they are slick SOBs. Thin enough I am hesitant to go too hot. Twenty bucks.

But really, cast iron is best, LOL.
Nothing better to cook fried eggs with
Posted By: sse Re: New non stick pan worth buying - 08/15/19
target was selling the t fal so cheap you could work the heck out of it and toss it. for a nonstick pan i like that strategy better than paying more and wondering how well it will hold up
Originally Posted by fishnpbr
I mostly use cast iron but just bought a set of All-Clad fry pans. It's made in the USA and a lifetime warranty. Some of their line can get pricey. No complaints so far.

All my All clad stuff is great except for my nonstick fry pans. They crapped out after a couple years. I wish I had just went with the stainless. I use cheaper nonstick stuff now and just replace them every two years. I’m going to give the ones Brad suggested. On sale!!!
https://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-E78...;qid=1565831656&s=gateway&sr=8-3

never cook with them with heat higher than medium on your stove. Clean up will always be easy and they will last a life time
I'm sure there are better ones out there but I and all my kids families use the Kirkland Signature set from Costco. All of the sets are over 5 years old and still work like new. Less than $200.00 for the whole set.
The trick with steel or stainless skillets is to heat them up (HOT) clean, then oil, wipe it thin and then cool it. (Don’t put oil in a cold unseasoned pan it won’t work even close to as well). When you heat them up again you can make an omelette easy, very non stick. But they lose the season fairly easy. Cast iron holds the season better.

I’ve told so many people/family this and I can’t understand why some people still hate steel and stainless steel pans.

I do use a Teflon skillet, pretty much just for eggs, it’s just less work than keeping omelet level non-stick on stainless. I’ve tried expensive and maybe they are slightly better but you overheat them and they are crap after anyway. So I just buy a cheap or middle of the road ones every couple years and then toss them. I would not spend a lot on aTeflon skillet.

Pretty much my only other use for Teflon skillets is when I’m truck camping so I can just wipe them out instead of properly washing. Throw them away when they get scratched and just buy a new one.

Originally Posted by kennyd
Got Granitestone diamond something and it has been better than the copper, teflon and all so far. They claim it will stand an oven and steel spatula, but not a sharp knife. Haven't tried that yet. 10 inch 20 bucks at Walmart. Will probably go for the 12 inch later. I didnt find a lid though but have one from a stainless set that works

Wife ordered a couple of those "Granitestone" skillets around a year ago. The ones she ordered came with glass lids for both. Ours aren't holding up near as well as advertised. Eggs almost always at least partially stick to the bottom now, and both are getting what looks like hairline cracks and 'blemishes' in the inside surface of the "Granitestone" coating. Thanks to failed so-called non-stick cookware we have accumulated quite a collection of spare lids in assorted sizes now.

I know he asked about cookware, but what he really needs is a SWFA SS 6X MQ.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Possibly a RAR
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

And a Chevy.
Been using Belgique from Macy's for several years. Hard anodized aluminum. They are of a good weight and are very non-stick. Have only had to replace my large skillet because we wore the coating out.

Use them with medium to low heat, and up to 450 degrees in the oven. Not dishwasher safe. Hand wash only.
Posted By: sse Re: New non stick pan worth buying - 08/15/19
Originally Posted by KFWA

never cook with them with heat higher than medium on your stove. Clean up will always be easy and they will last a life time

those look pretty nice,lids, oven-safe
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by KFWA

those look pretty nice,lids, oven-safe

all clad is good stuff
I just ordered a green off ebay.
Momma has been using a 12" "Flonal" for a year or so. She likes it better than any frying pan she has ever used and that includes about ten years in restaurant kitchens.

This pan has the granite looking speckle tone finish, inside and out. It has an Aluminum disc on bottom and does a great job of heat distribution. It is marked "Made in Italy".

We are not kind to it at all. Scrape it with forks. Knock spoons against it. So far not a chip or a scratch in the nonstick finish. Everything: eggs, cheese, fish, meat, gravy, wipes out with a wet sponge under running water. Don't even need to soak it.
yea, we only use non-metal spatulas with our pans as well
Looking to replace a couple non stick pans. Anyone have good experience with quality/durable non stick pans? Not interested in cast iron so this isn’t what this thread is for.
The best I've ever used are from Analon.... But I have a few of the ceramic pans and they've been very good so far...
Not sure what the hell happened with my Copper Chef, but after 3 months, every time I tried to fry an egg, I ended up with scrambled eggs. Everyone on here said they've had good luck with them, but mine was a piece of schit.

9 months ago, I bought a Cuisinart. So far, so good. It's still like new.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...gclsrc=aw.ds&resetGoogleAddFlow=true
I haven't found one worth a darn. They all wear out. Anyone who says their non-stick will last a lifetime isn't using it very much.
As this thread has moved about, I'll ask about carbon steel skillets?
I buy nonstick pans 'cheap and deep'. Expensive ones are not really any better than cheapies. When mine cease to release, I toss 'em and bring out another.
Thanks Betty
After a bunch of failures, I bought a Blue Diamond skillet at Whatamart in January. We're moderately careful, but not a single mark on it so far. Bought a second, covered one off Amazon. Want a saucepan, but those seem only to be sold in sets. I clean them with a blue Scotchbrite sponge.

The BD pans have metal handles, so can go into the oven to finish off steaks (don't forget the potholder!). Supposedly, they also are free of harmful chemicals.
Tag

I have three of these and have found them to hold up very well if you use plastic-coated or wooden utensils. I hand wash them. PFOA-free.

Ecolution skillet
Originally Posted by wabigoon
As this thread has moved about, I'll ask about carbon steel skillets?

AsI said above, I’ve given up altogether on non-stick. Carbon steel works fine if you take care of them. Cheap, and last a life time. Much easier (lighter) than cast iron. I’ve been happy with the Volrath pans.
'Nother vote for Analon.

Had one for about 10 years that finally gave out.

Went to buy another, and they have a new "improved" coating now, that is supposed to last better and be more scratch proof.

Had this one for about 5 years so far, and looking good.

Virgil B.
I was in the industrial roller and coating business for the last 15 years before I retired and the short answer is that there isn't such a thing as non-stick long term. Those non-stick coverings are a clear usually silicone based top coat over a much harder non-wear coating, in our case usually tungsten carbide. Your pan just like an industrial release coated roller works great when it is brand new, then one day your food or my Bounce fabric softener or Post-it Note glue starts to build up and you say what happened? What you are seeing is the smooth hard underneath surface, but the transparent top coating is wearing away. We could extend the release characteristics on a roll surface by making the surface more rough so that the contact area would be reduced, but you can't do that with a pan.

Your best bet is to find a pan manufacturer with a lifetime guarantee and then keep sending your old pan that sticks back to them to get a new pan. Their "lifetime guarantee" might not be your or their lifetime, but the pan's non-stick lifetime and yours will die in a not too distant future.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
After a bunch of failures, I bought a Blue Diamond skillet at Whatamart in January. We're moderately careful, but not a single mark on it so far. Bought a second, covered one off Amazon. Want a saucepan, but those seem only to be sold in sets. I clean them with a blue Scotchbrite sponge.

The BD pans have metal handles, so can go into the oven to finish off steaks (don't forget the potholder!). Supposedly, they also are free of harmful chemicals.

This is my experience as well.
[quote=StoneCutter]Not sure what the hell happened with my Copper Chef, but after 3 months, every time I tried to fry an egg, I ended up with scrambled eggs. Everyone on here said they've had good luck with them, but mine was a piece of schit.

9 months ago, I bought a Cuisinart. So far, so good. It's still like new.

And again, my experience as well.
We always figured that silicone had a safe working temperature of up to 500 degrees F. I never used my pyrometer on the bottom of the wife's pan, but I suspect that a stove top burner and the bottom of the pan could exceed that temperature if you weren't careful and you could be ingesting your pan's coating along with your fried egg if the temperature got too hot. That pan's coating should have FDA approval (but does it?) and our company never jumped through all the hoops to get that so we would only do the industrial stuff, but the process is the same. Strength wise silicone is pretty soft and an abrasive cleaning pad will destroy it faster than just a wet sponge.

Something I started noticing while researching consumer level nonstick cookware looking into replacing ours was nowadays a good many different brands are basically the same products with some minor differences, most of which just cosmetic -- handles, sizes, rolled or straight edge, brand logo, etc. -- especially noticeable in the matte black anodized exterior coating lines. We received a set of Emeril branded black anodized nonstick cookware as a Christmas gift a few years back (had to trash the skillets last year) and I was amazed at the number of brands marketed that overall were pretty much the same.

My personal best experience with a brand of mid price consumer level cookware was with the old USA manufactured "Revere" brand stainless steel with no nonstick coating in both their copper clad bottom and extra thickness steel solid base lines.

I have one of these. Actually, I have 3 in different sizes. Calphalon Unison Slide Non-stick is the type. Any Calphalon Non-stick is good and will last a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Nonstick-12-Inch-Covered-Omelette/dp/B002LSICYA?th=1
It's Stihl or nothing at our house!
Am on my third non-stick skillet, a thick bottomed T-Fal, and like it. Quick and easy when I want quick and easy.

IME and from what a chef told me, the thicker the metal under the non-stick coating, the better.

I don't expect a non-stick to last more than a few years with women in the house. I burned up my first one. Can't recall the brand but loved it. Got distracted and over heated it. Second one was a granite finish, worked well for five or six years. Now have a large T-Fal with an extra thick bottom. Got a glass lid that fits it at a second hand store. One notch above medium is the max I use for heat.

Love cast iron but have different uses/applications.

Re women and non-stick: women, knives and granite counters are a parallel combo. Love the gal more than the skillet or the knives.
Originally Posted by Raeford

Ha!

Chevy makes a better fry pan and you know it!

Ha!

Only if for the casual cooker, everybody knows that Ford makes the REAL working stiffs fry pan!

Ha!

Only if for the casual cooker, everybody knows that Ford makes the REAL working stiffs fry pan!

Fully-boxed frame!
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Ha!

Fully-boxed frame!

Finally some common sense, or common knowledge whatever.

Originally Posted by RickyD

I have one of these. Actually, I have 3 in different sizes. Calphalon Unison Slide Non-stick is the type. Any Calphalon Non-stick is good and will last a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Nonstick-12-Inch-Covered-Omelette/dp/B002LSICYA?th=1

Bought those a few years ago. We destroyed them. Never used metal, heat did it. Couple dinners by the in-laws= throw the skillet away.
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Ha!

Fully-boxed frame!

Finally some common sense, or common knowledge whatever.

But how do you season a boxed frame?
I like the red copper pans...

What?

No mention of Tramontina Professional? Inexpensive and wear like iron!

https://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-80114-534DS-Professional-Restaurant/dp/B009HBKPD0
Originally Posted by joken2

Wife ordered a couple of those "Granitestone" skillets around a year ago. The ones she ordered came with glass lids for both. Ours aren't holding up near as well as advertised. Eggs almost always at least partially stick to the bottom now, and both are getting what looks like hairline cracks and 'blemishes' in the inside surface of the "Granitestone" coating. Thanks to failed so-called non-stick cookware we have accumulated quite a collection of spare lids in assorted sizes now.

I’ve had the same result with the Red Copper and another brand just like it that’s name escapes me. Very disappointing. No more stick free than my cast iron, as near as I can tell.

John
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by joken2

I’ve had the same result with the Red Copper and another brand just like it that’s name escapes me. Very disappointing. No more stick free than my cast iron, as near as I can tell.

John

The last sentence gets at the reason we search for non-stick pans.
We are in the buy fairly cheap, and pitch camp.
Have had skillets I payed over a hundred buck to get my wife a
"Good" skillet a long time ago. Dam it was nice, worked great too.
It may have lasted longer, maybe it got too hot? Don't know.
But in two years or less, it was garbage. So,
We buy the decent ones, try to take care of them, and junk them at the first
sign of trouble.

For egg skillets, Ollies sell some for around $10. They have been great, even with
young daughters using them.
I switched my non stick to anodized aluminum. Have been very happy.
Still have three cast iron skillets I use regularly, but sometimes non stick works better. Look at some of the top end anodized aluminum and just buy the pan you need.

For sure!
Originally Posted by Reloder28

For sure!

Not a cast iron pan out there that’s as non stick as a good non stick pan. But you knew that already.
I need a nonstick coat hanger

Mannlicker...help!!
I need a nonstick coat hanger

Mannlicker...help!!

Relax.

It's your rectum.

Not a womb.
Says in the instructions usually. Medium heat. And no dishwasher......
Both ruin them.
Research which one is going to have the best warranty if you want long life.

Cast iron non stick.......too much work. Get Nickel............
Originally Posted by night_owl

lol, yeah, he gets it....
Wifey loves them!

For sure!

Not a cast iron pan out there that’s as non stick as a good non stick pan. But you knew that already.

Still rather season with yesterday's meal instead of teflon or the newest "safe' coating.
As for the degree of nonstick, post again in 50 years and let me know how that pan is holding up.

For sure!

Still rather season with yesterday's meal instead of teflon or the newest "safe' coating.
As for the degree of nonstick, post again in 50 years and let me know how that pan is holding up.

Ok

For sure!

Ok

By then we probably won't have to sign in or log on. Just think it.
Lol. Probably so.
We'll be drinking bacon then too.
We'll be drinking bacon then too.

[Linked Image]
mmmm
© 24hourcampfire