Home
Posted By: Wannabebwana Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
The How Do You Want to DIe thread brought this question up.

Personally, I don’t. I don’t want money spent on a glitzy funeral, a plot or a headstone. No one will visit anyway and I won’t enrich the funeral industry.

Woman is Russian Orthodox. She believes that my body has to be kept whole for the rapture. She’d take it as a personal affront that I’m not waiting for her, so she wants me buried. Having said that, their tradition is no embalming, viewing at home and burial within 3 days, so not a big expense.

If I have my druthers, my body will be donated for organ donation and science. I’ve signed all the paperwork. After a year, they do the cremation. I’d be happy with that.

Honestly, after I’m dead I don’t much care. As long as no one is buying a Porsche from the proceeds.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
For who?
I dont want any dimocrap to get nothing but schiett from moi.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Cremated, have a party, load up a bunch of 12 gauge shells put a little of my ashes in each one and take me trap shooting one last time!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Yes I do.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
I want to be worm farmed. It's only fair that worms get a shot at me, I've killed so many of them chasing walleye.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Interesting.

A friend passed away a few weeks ago. He had made it clear that he did not want a funeral.

Some people didnt like that so they wanted to have a get together.

It kind of bummed everyone out....but I argued that if we hadn't taken the time to go see him when he was alive, we shouldn't be in a damn hurry to have a party now that he was dead.

We will see how it turns out.

I suspect what ever the kids and wife decide will be fine for me.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Cremation. Hate the idea of staring at a dead body and making small talk.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Wannabe...your wife ever think if people who burn to death or get chopped in half still go to heaven?
A big wedding let's people know you are married, a funeral let's them know you are dead. Both have roots going back to the Old Testament.

A wedding a man has some control, (ya right), over, the latter, not much.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
I told my wife, "I want to be cremated."
She said, "How about Tuesday?"
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
I really don't care one way or another about a funeral. I do not want anyone to spend much on one if they do have one for me. I want any organs in usable condition to be donated to those that can use them. I think I want the remains to be cremated as I won't need it anymore, so why have it preserved? For what? Maybe for some archaeologist 5,000 years from now to dig up? I'm sure they could find other remains more interesting than any I would leave behind. Just be a waste of good money. I do want to have my ashes buried and a headstone in close proximity to my father's in the same cemetery where many of my ancestors are buried. It is a nice peaceful place in the country in west Alabama. I told my wife to bury my ashes in a Dutch oven as I like to camp and cook. I think that would make a fitting casket.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Cremated, have a party, load up a bunch of 12 gauge shells put a little of my ashes in each one and take me trap shooting one last time!

You think you'd hit any?
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Upon my death I’m to be cremated as soon as, and as cheaply as possible. Ashes to be stored in the cheapest container available. My remaining loved ones can decide on if a celebration of life will take place a couple months down the road. That way people who’d like to attend can have plenty of time to plan for it. And not miss any work, school, or other engagements. The cost of a funeral and everything that goes along with it is obscene, and borders on extortion.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Good friend of the wife had her ashes put in fireworks. And on a specific date they were invited to a beach gathering and a fireworks show. Cremation here and spread my ashes from the back of my horse on our favorite trails.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Put my ashes in the Oregon woods.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
The funeral really isn't for you, its for friends and family that are still around - closure. If they want to have one for me so be it.
While sitting in a Catholic church watching a black priest oversee my racist Baptist grandfather's funeral I learned that funerals are for the living. What becomes of me won't be my choice and I'm not concerned.
Mom had Dad cremated and the funeral 10 days later to give everyone time to make arrangements to attend. Worked out really good.
Donate to science
Then cremated
I'll be dead, so I won't care. Funerals aren't for the dead though. If there is one, it won't be my money being spent on it.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Funeral homes and their fees are borderline criminal with their predatory tactics. Cheapest way to get me cremated, a good party for friends and family to get together and tell stories and toast my life. My children know where my ashes are to be spread the following deer season.
My wife's family typically has the body cremated as soon and as inexpensively as possible, with a rememberance gathering at a later opportune time. Then they keep the urns around the houses forever.

Momma and I have talked many times. Both of us agree on a quick and cheap cremation. As far as I am concerned the kids can flush the cremains down the schitter, or pour them into the drainage creek which runs through our property. Whatever, just don't leave the crap in a jar on the mantle.

But, we might not have much say in the matter. I suppose things will happen pretty much as our oldest daughter directs. I do have deeds in the safe, to six plots beside a brother who died in 1980, and beside the empty plots where my
Dad and stepmom will lie. If our daughter decides she needs to use them. She is much more emotional than Momma and I.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
A funeral is for the living, not the dead. It helps the family to accept that the person is gone. It's closure. I want a funeral just to help my family adjust to me being gone. If they make it a party, fine with me as long as brings closure.
Posted By: Armednfree Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
The plan for both of us is direct cremation, no service of any kind. Later, months later, a memorial BBQ, a party, because we believe there is nothing to grieve for. We have gone to the Lord.

That, and in enough time that no one feels compelled to come.

Don't feed the buzzards.

When I go, or her, I don't care how the family feels. If they feel that way then they can get out their checkbooks. That is money my wife needs, no need to waste it on the disposal of an inanimate object.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
I want all useable organs donated then the rest of me rolled up in a canvas pack cover and dumped in a hole.
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19

I"ll pass, thanks anyway> GW
Originally Posted by jaguartx

You think you'd hit any?

Straight 25 baby!!
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
I don’t want an open casket wake. Closed casket, some pictures with the family, friends and dogs. And cremation.
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
I too have thought about the resurrection. Then I remembered Nero (who was gay and had a 12 year old boy castrated and married him), who had Christians burned at the stake. Not much left after that. God is all powerful and transcends time. He can resurrect you. No problems.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Couldn't care less, I won't be there.

Dad's line was, "Don't tell anyone I died until I'm buried." Of course I couldn't pull that one off, the family, particularly his sister, would never have forgiven me.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Nope. When I’m toes up, don’t spend another nickel. Scatter my ashes somewhere...
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19

That's a pretty good idea. Seriously.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19

You think you'd hit any?

Straight 25 baby!!

grin
Cremated and ashes spread in the Green Mountains where I hunt and Lake Champlain where I fish. A little in my orchard and gardens would be nice too. No plot, no stone, no fuss.
Hell no. Don't spend any more on planting me than is absolutely necessary. Throw me a cardboard box, fire up the creamatory and be done with it. I want some of my ashes to go back home on the mountain where Dad taught me how to hunt, and some at the cemetery where he and mom are buried. I just don't see the sense in having a big expensive funeral.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19

Pretty much this^^^^^
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Ed

You think you'd hit any?

Straight 25 baby!!

Not if I’m doing the shooting, you’ve seen me shoot before!
As he old joke goes, the last thing I intend to do.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
My funeral isn't for me. I won't be there anyway. It's for my family and friends. They can do whatever makes them happy. But I'd prefer it to be as inexpensive as possible. I'd rather my kids get the $8-$10K normally spent on a funeral than a funeral home. I'm fine with cremation and letting telling them to spend the funeral money on a road trip to spread my ashes somewhere important to me.
No, absolutely not.

I don't like the entire concept.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
wife and I both will be cremated. Ashes to be scattered. I have plots in the old family church cemetery up in the SW Virginia mountains. Each summer we have a memorial service for any and all that passed the previous year. That will be the extent of it. No funeral. Nothing local.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: memtb Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Probably......after my death! smile memtb
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
No, absolutely not.

I don't like the entire concept.

Seeing both my parents laying in a coffin with tons of makeup on, not looking at all like they did in life, looking terrible actually,soured me on the whole thing.
Posted By: hanco Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Nope
Won't matter to me because i would not be able to see it.

Besides they are for those left behind.

I really hope there is a party.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
In t I argued that if we hadn't taken the time to go see him when he was alive, we shouldn't be in a damn hurry to have a party now that he was dead.

I

I have been commenting on this for years. I have seen people take off work and travel a thousand miles to attend a funeral of someone they knew, yet it would have never occured to them to pick up the phone and chat with the deceased while he was alive, or take a little road trip to go see him. Even with people who live in the same town as the deceased, how many times did they call the guy up and say "hey, let's go to coffee" . If you are going to have a celebration of life, why not do it while the subject can still enjoy it? Buy flowers for your loved ones and friends while they can still smell them.
Posted By: greydog Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Funerals are for the living. Since I will no longer be among them, I won't have a vote. It is my hope that I will be able to get myself to a remote spot and cash in where my body can be recycled by the scavengers and the earth, naturally. GD
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
I want a big sending off.......lol. Seriously, as many have said, funerals are the ones you leave behind. Whatever pleases them works for me.

Don't know how it is in other parts of the country, but here the Blacks love big funerals. Every old Black person I ever knew always had a burial policy, whereby they paid so much a month into a policy that would pay for their funeral, and they believe in being buried in style. If you've never seen a Black funeral, you're in for an experience. Typically, they will wait at least a week after dying until the funeral. The Black funeral homes here all have a fleet of limousines for the family to ride in, and I imagine they charge the chit out of the family. The people that attend the funerals will be all dressed up in the finest clothes they own, and some that they buy to wear to the funeral, and then return to J C Penney's for a refund.......and that story came from a former employee of Penny's.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
No, I don't need a funeral. I don't get that many visitors now, why when I am gone.
Posted By: Armednfree Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
I too have thought about the resurrection. Then I remembered Nero (who was gay and had a 12 year old boy castrated and married him), who had Christians burned at the stake. Not much left after that. God is all powerful and transcends time. He can resurrect you. No problems.

My father has that argument about cremation. It is in defiance of logic. Think about people burned like you say, people lost at sea and such. Also is the fact that in the biggest part of the world bodies don't mummify like they do in the arid middle easy, they rot to nothing. Then to say that God, the creator of the universe can't do something....., you get it.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Originally Posted by hillestadj
The funeral really isn't for you, its for friends and family that are still around - closure. If they want to have one for me so be it.

This, entirely.
Funerals aren't really for you. They are for those you leave behind.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Originally Posted by jnyork
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
In t I argued that if we hadn't taken the time to go see him when he was alive, we shouldn't be in a damn hurry to have a party now that he was dead.

I

I have been commenting on this for years. I have seen people take off work and travel a thousand miles to attend a funeral of someone they knew, yet it would have never occured to them to pick up the phone and chat with the deceased while he was alive, or take a little road trip to go see him. Even with people who live in the same town as the deceased, how many times did they call the guy up and say "hey, let's go to coffee" . If you are going to have a celebration of life, why not do it while the subject can still enjoy it? Buy flowers for your loved ones and friends while they can still smell them.

^^^^
This
Posted By: Huntz Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
No Funeral.Cremate me.I got it payed for $895.00.I will leave enough money for Pizza and beer.My Epitaph"Those that know me, know me well.Everybody else can go to hell!!!"Huntz
I'm not sure about cremation, but on the surface it's seems better than rotting in a fancy box for the next 1000 years...in your best suit and tie.

Yikes.
Posted By: persiandog Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
next to AOC , Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib . just play loud music every day.
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Ed

You think you'd hit any?

Straight 25 baby!!

Not if I’m doing the shooting, you’ve seen me shoot before!

I'll help ya Brother!!
Posted By: hookeye Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
If the coyotes want to bark a few nice words before they chow down on my corpse, so be it.

Buddy bought ground near F&W area.
Had a stroke while mowing, was not found for several days.

Another bud said the critters worked him over pretty good.
Was kinda upset about hearing that he was.

Told him it was just the circle man, all the critters he hunted and ate............now their turn.
He smiled.

Spirit is gone, it's just flesh. No big deal, as long as you aint the one that finds em like that.
My dad aint religious, but is all about his upcoming funeral.
To the point of ridiculousness, already paid........dropped a few K.
His two brothers are dead, buried in local cemetery...............and he has never visited them.
WTF?
Took my kids out, great aunt and uncle from other side buried nearby.
Dunno what connection they got out of it............but showing respect aint a bad thing for them to see.
My uncle full of cancer, lost my aunt 2 yrs ago, his son last yr.
There's gonna be a big party for all three when he goes.
Lots of deer hunting stories to be told.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
My grandmother and my aunt died the same week.

Dad called it a double header.

I wrote the check for my grandmother's; he paid for my aunt's burial.

nothin fancy, we didn't even smoke a pork shoulder. (That was the saddest part of all)
Posted By: EdM Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
It is clearly written in our Trust, no.
Posted By: Fugawe Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Cremate me, put me in the local river. BBQ to follow.

We mixed my Mom's and Stepdad's ashes into a small concrete vault, as they wished.
Posted By: JimR Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
My wife and I have Wills stating we are to be cremated, no services and what is to be done with our ashes.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
My old friend said take me out in the woods, the coyote’s need to eat too. I think I could make it to heaven out of a coyotes azz!
Posted By: JackRyan Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Send me to the taxidermist. Stuffed standing giving the finger down the driveway toward the road and the county seat.
Posted By: shaman Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
I would ideally like to be run through a chipper shredder and used as mulch, but there's probably some sort of ordinance against that.

KYHillChick wants to be cremated. Since Plan A isn't going to happen, I've got myself donated with the stipulation that I am used for rude jokes by first-year med students.

I don't want a funeral. I'd much prefer a memorial service with a party afterward. Ideally, I'd like it to take place before I die, but I doubt many of my friends would take it seriously if I showed up.

I kind of did that one time. I planned a surprise birthday party for myself-- invited the usual suspects. I secreted myself in a back bedroom with a friend and shared some brandy with her until it was time for the big surprise. She and I jumped out and yelled "Surprise!" Sadly, the idea was a flop. Nobody got the joke.
Posted By: Tracks Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Instructions in my will to my son.
No service, cremation. Take my ashes and those of my last dog, go alone (or with my favorite grandson) to someplace he likes in the mountains, dig a hole and dump our ashes in. Fill the hole and forget were it is.
Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
I don't care what they do with me,
but I have wondered why we don't bury people standing up.
Seems to me cemetery plots are at a premium and lots more space could be utilized
if people were buried in a standing position.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Eeyore, the old grey Donkey, stood by the side of the stream, and looked at himself in the water.
“Pathetic,” he said. “That’s what it is. Pathetic.”
He turned and walked slowly down the stream for twenty yards, splashed across it, and walked slowly back on the other side. Then he looked at himself in the water again.
“As I thought,” he said. “No better from THIS side. But nobody minds. Nobody cares. Pathetic, that’s what it is.”
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
Seems to me cemetery plots are at a premium and lots more space could be utilized

If we had a good judge to do the prejudging................

we could bury those that deserve it heads up for the rapture

and those that deserve it heads down as they're going to the hot place anyway,

right?

Geno
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy

Like when you drive through older parts of big cities and see miles of cemeteries that no one has visited in years. When do we start reclaiming that ground?
Posted By: hanco Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Not yet!
Posted By: Kyhilljack Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/20/19
Dad and mom want to be cremated. Dad wants me to drop his ashes in Spring Creek, his favorite trout stream in Colorado. Mom wants me to go "up on the mountain" and spread her ashes. Not sure which one though. Me and the wife want cremation also. Funerals seem such a waste of money.
In some parts of Europe you have to pay to maintain your ancestors graves. If you don’t pay they dig the bones up and sell the plot to someone else.

Other parts, they dig thee bones up anyway after so many years and the bones are put in a crypt, then the plot re-used,
Posted By: old70 Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/21/19
Nope. A get together where those that care tell stories and laugh. Me being freeze dried or cremated or whatever and buried with an acorn in my hunting spot. Maybe it’ll grow and be a tree, maybe not. Who cares.

Option2 is Viking funeral. Both my kids have bows for a reason.

Old70
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/21/19
Just a small fyi, wills are often read some time after final disposition. Don't think that because it's in your will that it will work out that way. ARRANGE what you want ahead of time.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Do you want a funeral? - 08/21/19
Do I want a funeral for who?
Posted By: dtenentin Re: Do you want a funeral? - 11/30/23
My aunt also died from cancer; before that, she lost her husband. The idea of a big party with deer hunting stories sounds like a great way to remember them.
I ended up on this post because, as you can see, I'm dealing with a family loss, too. While researching funeral ideas, I came across something called water-based cremation. It's an interesting eco-friendly option I'm considering.
If you have any tips or suggestions on planning a unique farewell, I'd appreciate it. Grief can be a challenging journey, and hearing about different approaches can be helpful.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Do you want a funeral? - 11/30/23
wife and I agreed long ago. Living Will, with no extra efforts to prolong life. No funeral, no 'celebration of life', no ceremony. Cremation. Ashes scattered.
Posted By: 673 Re: Do you want a funeral? - 11/30/23
Yup, and everyone had better be balling their eyes out.
grin
Posted By: killerv Re: Do you want a funeral? - 11/30/23
Lemmy style is fine with me

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Do you want a funeral? - 11/30/23
Funerals aren't for the dead but for the living. Once you're dead, you're dead and your fate is sealed. A funeral is for the living to help them come to terms with you being gone. If they want a funeral, let them have it if it helps them adjust.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Do you want a funeral? - 11/30/23
Fried chiggin,pecan pie, mini sub party platter from jimmy johns,
I don't know why I have any say what my wife or children do once I'm dead. Party, cry, leave me to rot? It's their decision.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Do you want a funeral? - 11/30/23
My wife will likely arrange something bigger than I'd want. If she does, I have one demand: that she toss a bouquet over her shoulder to see who is next.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Do you want a funeral? - 11/30/23
I don't need a funeral for me, but I expect one for the people I leave behind. Ive taken care of them to this point, and I don't intend to stop once I'm dead.
Posted By: 4xbear Re: Do you want a funeral? - 11/30/23
My Wife knows how to run the backhoe. Attendees can finish the remaining Whisky.
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Do you want a funeral? - 11/30/23
Originally Posted by dtenentin
My aunt also died from cancer; before that, she lost her husband. The idea of a big party with deer hunting stories sounds like a great way to remember them.
I ended up on this post because, as you can see, I'm dealing with a family loss, too. While researching funeral ideas, I came across something called water-based cremation. It's an interesting eco-friendly option I'm considering.
If you have any tips or suggestions on planning a unique farewell, I'd appreciate it. Grief can be a challenging journey, and hearing about different approaches can be helpful.

WTF? 4 year old thread resurrected by a bot that includes a hyperlink in every post??

Wabi - you should give this guy your phone number and become besties!
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Do you want a funeral? - 11/30/23
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
The Bible clearly says that those who are saved will get a new body in the final resurrection. It doesn't matter what happens to this one as it will be gone. We'll have a new permanent, indestructible one.
© 24hourcampfire