Home
Posted By: g5m Be careful of roosters - 09/02/19
One woman died when a rooster pecked her varicose vein:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/woman-killed-pet-rooster-who-19168038
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/02/19
Dang! When your time's up, it's up, no matter how careful you are.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
We had roosters on the farm when I was a lad. One attacked me. We ate it that evening for dinner.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
When I was a kid, my aunt had a rooster that would attack you. I killed it one morning, for attacking me, and she fried it for dinner. Toughest old bird I ever tried to eat.

My BIL has 2 roosters and 1 will attack you. Had it jump on me about 2 years ago. Didn't hurt because I had on jeans, but I broke it from attacking me. I would stomp my foot at it and when it would jump at me, I'd kick it. Not hard enough to hurt it, just send it into the air a few feet. Did this until I had the rooster running from me. After that, if it even came around me, all I had to do was stomp my foot and it would run away. Told my SIL about it and now she doesn't have to tote a stick while in the yard to keep the rooster from attacking.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
I was given a big Dominique rooster once upon a time. It was free because it was an attack rooster. I thought I could break him of that by catching him in a long handle dip net and spinning him around til he was addled and drunk. Didn't work. He jumped my wife and spurred her one morning and that was enough. Rooster Cogburn was donated to a local church for their gumbo dinner.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
Angry cock
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
Lol, There are so many things you could do with that story........I'm just gonna leave it alone.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
Twice during the years I was in the Philippines there were news stories about people being killed in the cockpit by gamecocks that went crazy. Over there they are heeled with "slashers" , a knife-edged gaff on only one leg as opposed to the two needle-pointed type gaffs used here.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
She couldn't apply a simple tourniquet?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
My wife used to have 2 little banty roosters. Darn things would attack the back of your leg as you walked by. You hardly knew they were doing it. Just a brush with feathers. I guess it made them feel good, anyway. It was actually pretty funny. They were so little that they'd team up to breed a hen. Both of them would sit on her to hold her down while 1 did the job. That was hilarious.
I had a white leghorn raised from a batch of chicks. It got cocky and started getting after me and my sons when they were little.

I beat the thing with a zebco fishing pole, a mop handle. I shouldve just killed it.

But I decided to give that chithead a run for his vinegar. There was a little man used set up on the road side with watermelons, okra, honey, bunny rabbits. One day he had a couple of fancy gamecocks. $20 a pop.

I got one and brought it home, let it out end of the driveway. He beelined first thing toward that fat leghorn laid into that joker for several minutes. That night the leghorn was roosting outside the henhouse. Few nights later, some coons got him. lol

Posted By: joken2 Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19

Elderly uncle had a big old yellowish-white Leghorn rooster that was a pure evil terror and sneaky, too. It would act like it was completely ignoring you until it caught you distracted then gradually sneak up and attack, spurs first, and then take off running. It would draw blood much of the time. Poor old uncle had both fresh and healing spur puncture wounds on his lower legs from where that thing had nailed him.

One afternoon uncle was talking with an old friend stopped in his vehicle in the road out front of his place. That rooster was watching and took advantage of uncle's unawareness and attacked him again. That was the last time, too. Uncle said, 'I'd sell that damn rooster for 50 cents right this minute to the first person that offered it'. Friend laughed, handed him 50 cents, run ir down, cornered and caught it. Had a 50 cent chicken and dumplings supper soon after.
Posted By: DMc Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
Been attacked by a rooster, and back-sided by a domestic turkey and goose. Was charged by an antlered mule deer on a hike up to Latir Lakes in NM, but side-stepped just at the right moment. Was kicked in the right thigh from walking around a horse too closely and had my cheekbone fractured by jumping on a horse bareback with a burr in my britches. She stomped the crap out of me and broke a rib too. Been bitten by my share of dogs also. I guess we're lucky not to have varicose veins..
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My wife used to have 2 little banty roosters. Darn things would attack the back of your leg as you walked by. You hardly knew they were doing it. Just a brush with feathers. I guess it made them feel good, anyway. It was actually pretty funny. They were so little that they'd team up to breed a hen. Both of them would sit on her to hold her down while 1 did the job. That was hilarious.

I had to read that twice, because that 1 looks a whole lot like an I. shocked laugh

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Wife kept a bunch of banty chickens back years ago when we lived out in the country. Had one little rooster that would trick the hens by acting like he'd found a tasty insect or something to get them to come running over to where he was so he could try to breed them. That randy little rooster would do that all day long from morning up until roosting.

Get too many grown Bantam roosters together and you've pretty much got the makings of a continuous bloody fight for 'boss' rooster ranking.
Had a bourbon tom turkey get after me too, mean sombitch

Plenty geese think they are hot stuff. My mother kept a few, they would only advance upon you if your back was turn. You'd hear their feet smacking on the mud. They try to wrench a plug out your calf. I used to reach back and grab em up by the neck and throw them bout 10ft 😀
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
I had a banty rooster that would attack my shoes. It made me angry all out of proportion. I would smash him with a 2x4 until he could not walk. He would limp for a week, and on the first day he could walk right, he would attack my shoe again. I gave him away at the feed store. He was in a cage with as sign that said "free" and with a bigger rooster in the cage the pecked him on the head all day. That made me laugh.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
Originally Posted by slumlord
She couldn't apply a simple tourniquet?

To the rooster? eek
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
Ahhh. Roosters. Yep as a teen grandparents had one that pretty much kept my gram and me away from his chickens, only pops could feed them without being attacked. Guessing pops laid down the law to him before.

Few years ago we were keeping chickens for eggs and got a rooster to boost production and keep the hens in line.

Sumbitch chased my granddaughter outa the yard so I went all Hong Kong fooey on him couple of times. To not much change.

Lil niece was over, she’s no bigger than a minute, saw him acting up and reached down snatched him up by the legs faster than you can say bobs your uncle .

She held him upside down and stroked his feathers in front of his hens 🤷🏻‍♂️ Calmed him down better than me kicking him.

Course neighborhood fox gave him his final lesson in etiquette, told my granddaughter the fox had gotten the rooster.

Her reply. GOOD 😂
Posted By: las Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
We had roosters on the farm when I was a lad. One attacked me. We ate it that evening for dinner.

Same
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
Meet "El Feo"

[Linked Image]

He's an absolute A-hole to his hens when he's mounting them. Spurs and claws are tearing up the backs of a few, seems the ones that are most submissive suffer less damage.

I separated this one from the flock as she was so bad and one other hen would get after her, then El Feo would also, then 3-4 other hens would start pecking at her head when he mounted her. Since she's been separated, she's starting to grow feathers back.

[Linked Image]

I have a friend who might want her to help start up a flock of his own. If not, she might go in the stew pot................................along with a certain rooster.

However, I have another friend who says he's cut off spurs and cauterized the wound and effectively keeps mr rooster from growing them back. I may try that.

He's nice enough to me, perhaps because when he first started to feel the testosterone flowing I let him know who the boss rooster on this property is. He doesn't act up much now. He's good at letting the hens know when there's something good to eat and he does a better job than they do at watching the sky and for stuff in the yard. So I hate to get rid of him, but if I can't get him to stop tearing up the feathers on the hens, he might just get eaten.

Geno
Posted By: broomd Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
Bake a potato in the microwave, when it is done to eat, grab it and grab the spurred rooster off the evening roost.
Roll him over and put the potato onto the spur for 120 seconds. Remove the spur and any issues.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
That works, eh?

I might get the friend to help me with that.

Bet I could just leave that tater there outside the coop and they'd all hammer it for breakfast.

Thanks for the idea.

Geno
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
Originally Posted by cra1948
Twice during the years I was in the Philippines there were news stories about people being killed in the cockpit by gamecocks that went crazy. Over there they are heeled with "slashers" , a knife-edged gaff on only one leg as opposed to the two needle-pointed type gaffs used here.

I used to sharpen those little knives for a bunch of Mexicans that were into fighting chickens. I could do a good job of it but when a cock lost, it might have been because the knives weren't sharp enough.

I got out of it before any of those SOBs got mad at me.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
We value your privacy
We and our partners use technology such as cookies on our site to personalise content and ads, provide social media features, and analyse our traffic. Click below to consent to the use of this technology across the web. You can change your mind and change your consent choices at anytime by returning to this site.

I ACCEPT
Manage
Originally Posted by Oldman3
When I was a kid, my aunt had a rooster that would attack you. I killed it one morning, for attacking me, and she fried it for dinner. Toughest old bird I ever tried to eat.

My BIL has 2 roosters and 1 will attack you. Had it jump on me about 2 years ago. Didn't hurt because I had on jeans, but I broke it from attacking me. I would stomp my foot at it and when it would jump at me, I'd kick it. Not hard enough to hurt it, just send it into the air a few feet. Did this until I had the rooster running from me. After that, if it even came around me, all I had to do was stomp my foot and it would run away. Told my SIL about it and now she doesn't have to tote a stick while in the yard to keep the rooster from attacking.

My current rooster is small (not much bigger than the average hen - might be part bantam), and keeps his distance from me. My previous rooster, Rodrigo (pictured below), was huge (about twice the size of an average hen) and nearly fearless. Early on, he'd attack me pretty regularly when I approached the hen house to do my chores. Then I started a well timed kick (like you describe) with the top of my foot, just hard enough to hurt a little and send him reeling back. At first, he'd come right at me again, and get a second kick. After a few times like this, he started keeping his distance just far enough from me so I can't reach him. That was good enough.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TheKid Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
My uncle’s girlfriend has a bunch of hens she sells eggs from and every year when she gets some more chicks at the feed store she’ll accidentally get a rooster or two. She gets attached to them raising them up and won’t shoot or wring them herself. Here a few months ago she had two that were getting out of hand so uncle went and shot their heads off and brought them to me to eat.

They were the toughest birds I’ve ever seen. Their skin was like a tire tube and impossible to tear, nearly impossible to cut with a sharp knife. Mom ran them through the pressure cooker in hopes of tenderizing them and then flouring and frying. They curled up like a ball of rubber bands! So they went back in the pressure cooker and turned into some kind of casserole. Pretty good but definitely not worth the effort.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
Watch this vicious rooster in action.

Posted By: mjs3240 Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
Back when I was a little guy a White Leghorn Rooster had me cornered and my Mother had to rescue me. After that I carried a stick with me and used the rooster for batting practice. He finally got the message and kept his distance from me. When he finally ended up in the stew pot I really enjoyed that meal.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
One of my earliest memories was being attacked by a couple of them when I was about age 4. No real harm done but avoided them until I was a bit older.

A good, tame "Boss" rooster doing his job can be interesting and sometimes even impressive to watch. It's not uncommon for them stand their ground and fight off (or at least try to) other animal attacks, often as not resulting in their own injury and/or death, to protect the rest of their flock. The same when caught out in extreme bad weather, they will try to lead the flock to the nearest familiar cover.

Posted By: aalf Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
Posted By: hanco Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
We had a couple mean ones, spur your ass when you walked by.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
Originally Posted by aalf

Lmao

I’ve seen more than a few karate kids fold under attack, but that was cute and funny
Posted By: broomd Re: Be careful of roosters - 09/03/19
Originally Posted by Valsdad
That works, eh?

I might get the friend to help me with that.

Bet I could just leave that tater there outside the coop and they'd all hammer it for breakfast.

Thanks for the idea.

Geno

It works 100%, we've done it many times. I was spurred once in the left calf, bled like a stuck hog, killed the mean mofo and then started researching options for spur growth on any future rooster that we might have.
No more issues with the potato method. Although all of our roosters these days are friendly fellas.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Be careful of roosters - 07/26/21
A cattle prod will break any rooster from attacking you, GUARANTEED.
Sounds like a Greek tragedy.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Be careful of roosters - 07/26/21

Fava beans?....chianti???
Posted By: 673 Re: Be careful of roosters - 07/26/21
We just lost a great little Banty to Raccoons, "the Colonal" liked to be picked up and held LOL, he would sit on the swing with the grandkids too, normally I wouldn't have noticed him but he forced me to like him when he would come over and dig himself a hole and watch me work on vehicles outside my shop.....2 ded Coons.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Be careful of roosters - 07/26/21
That varicose vein looked like a big fat juicy worm.

RIP
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Be careful of roosters - 07/26/21
When I was 12 years old I'd kick those bastards higher than the power poles!!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Be careful of roosters - 07/26/21
I wondered what kind of douche bag would dredge up a three year old thread about chickens, and there you have it. A new troll. ASVPRock. Geez
Posted By: BLG Re: Be careful of roosters - 07/26/21
Originally Posted by ASVPRock
Animals are really unpredictable and you have to be really careful around them. Even dogs can bite their master after he had fed them. I've looked at some digital sabong and I've seen many accidents. I don't know why animals are acting like this, but I am sure that there is a certain reason. I should speak with a vet about this matter since I am sure that he knows better than me. Documenting about anything is really important to me since I want to know why certain things are happening, especially the ones related to animals.

Maser?

Clyde
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Oldman3

My current rooster is small (not much bigger than the average hen - might be part bantam), and keeps his distance from me. My previous rooster, Rodrigo (pictured below), was huge (about twice the size of an average hen) and nearly fearless. Early on, he'd attack me pretty regularly when I approached the hen house to do my chores. Then I started a well timed kick (like you describe) with the top of my foot, just hard enough to hurt a little and send him reeling back. At first, he'd come right at me again, and get a second kick. After a few times like this, he started keeping his distance just far enough from me so I can't reach him. That was good enough.

[Linked Image]

Nice looking rooster.
Looks like a show bird.

I never had trouble with most varieties. But the little Asian and a polish breeds couldnt be tamed. The feed bucket was my shield. If they caught me looking the other way, they'd fly straight at my head full force. This usually happened when going out the door and looking down at the latch and turning. WACK!!! Those little pit bulls would hit the door as I'd slam it....right where my head was half a second earlier. I hated the Vietnamese one as much as he hated me. LOL!
🐓🐔🐔🐔🍗🍗

We never had them, but Great Grandparents did on their farm. She would always kill a couple of hens when we visited for Sunday Dinner.

One Sunday, when I was 5, I went with Great Grandmother to catch one. Their old Rooster jumped up and spurred me on the back.
Great GrandDad picked up his Double Barreled 12 ga from behind the back door. Boom.

I’ve still got his shotgun. 🤠 And I’ve got her old Iron Skillet too.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Be careful of roosters - 07/26/21
Originally Posted by BLG
Animals are really unpredictable and you have to be really careful around them. Even dogs can bite their master after he had fed them. I've looked at some digital sabong and I've seen many accidents. I don't know why animals are acting like this, but I am sure that there is a certain reason. I should speak with a vet about this matter since I am sure that he knows better than me. Documenting about anything is really important to me since I want to know why certain things are happening, especially the ones related to animals.

Maser?

Clyde

Spammer.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by BLG

Maser?

Clyde

Spammer.

Yep.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Be careful of roosters - 07/26/21

Why don't you document for us how to suck a roosters dick.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Be careful of roosters - 07/27/21
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by BLG

Maser?

Clyde

Spammer.

NO one clicked on that link I hope.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Be careful of roosters - 07/27/21
I did

Don’t be scared

Apple is tough.

I wouldn’t if I was rockin a Commodore Vic20 on the kitchen table next to the black n white philco
But, being as how it was brought up again.

I never did the hot potato thing to El Feo. Perhaps I should have?

While cleaning the coop a week or so back, the bastid got me. The chicken I have separated from the flock tried to get back in with them. I was closing the coop hatch from the big door and El Feo spurred me trying to get to that bird he's tried to kill.

I wear the chemical gloves and he nailed me right through it. Mostly with leg, the blood thinners I'm on make me bleed easily:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

As you can see, he's not a little fella. The spotted bird is a 3 year old Cuckoo Maran. He's about 2x her size. The red bird is a ready to butcher Freedom Ranger I was experimenting with to see if he and the girls would allow me to introduce a new hen or two. If successful I'd have introduced a couple more for egg production. Put that one in at 11PM the night before so the flock might think she was one of there's when they woke up. No such luck, they weren't having it.

The Rangers have been reduced to food now. As of yesterday and today. We'll be grilling one tomorrow!
Originally Posted by slumlord
I did

Don’t be scared

Apple is tough.

I wouldn’t if I was rockin a Commodore Vic20 on the kitchen table next to the black n white philco

They're going to crack your Church Account and get the weekly offerings!
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Be careful of roosters - 07/27/21

While cleaning the coop a week or so back, the bastid got me. The chicken I have separated from the flock tried to get back in with them. I was closing the coop hatch from the big door and El Feo spurred me trying to get to that bird he's tried to kill.

I wear the chemical gloves and he nailed me right through it. Mostly with leg, the blood thinners I'm on make me bleed easily:

As you can see, he's not a little fella. The spotted bird is a 3 year old Cuckoo Maran. He's about 2x her size. The red bird is a ready to butcher Freedom Ranger I was experimenting with to see if he and the girls would allow me to introduce a new hen or two. If successful I'd have introduced a couple more for egg production. Put that one in at 11PM the night before so the flock might think she was one of there's when they woke up. No such luck, they weren't having it.

The Rangers have been reduced to food now. As of yesterday and today. We'll be grilling one tomorrow!

A more patient man than I.
If it wanted to attack me, it would change or get beat to death.
If it was going to attack others or valuable animals.
It would be a different kind of stock.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Be careful of roosters - 07/27/21
Fugger would get a dose of shotgun around me.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Be careful of roosters - 07/27/21
Can somebody explain the science behind baked potatoes on chicken spurs?
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Only time he has gone after me. Usually just waits in the morning for their feed and comes running in the evening for their scratch. Calls his girls when I toss something good to eat into the Gulag, like mango peels and strawberry hulls.

He's really good at watching the perimeter and the sky when I let them range too.

When it's time, those nice hackles of his will be mine though!
I found this line in the originally linked story to be hilarious:

A public warning has been issued on the dangers of seemingly harmless animals, news.au.com reports.

I wonder if they mentioned gerbils for those folks so inclined? eek
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Be careful of roosters - 07/27/21
My cousin’s wife’s brother in Vermont fought gamecocks, quite illegal and unusual up there I would think.

He gave us a rooster and some game hens and we added a few barred rock hens.

That was a great rooster, his combs and spurs had been cut for fighting, the spurs grew back. You could get him to crouch, flare his hackes and jump at you if you stuck a hand in his face like it was another chicken but he never started it.

They were free range and when you scattered chicken feed the game hens would come flying in three feet off the ground like pheasants. The game hens would hide their nests in the bushes and the chicks were striped like wild fowl. Ended up with so many I would break their eggs when I found the nests as birth control.

The barred rock hens OTOH were entirely comic and goofy. There was a old barn on the property and they would climb the inside stairs to lay eggs in the hayloft. Coming down they would invariably choose the hayloft window, look and look and look and then launch themselves into space, wings flapping furiously, hit the ground and bounce.

Once one snuck in the open kitchen door and laid an egg down the hall behind the couch 🙂
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Be careful of roosters - 07/27/21
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Only time he has gone after me. Usually just waits in the morning for their feed and comes running in the evening for their scratch. Calls his girls when I toss something good to eat into the Gulag, like mango peels and strawberry hulls.

He's really good at watching the perimeter and the sky when I let them range too.

When it's time, those nice hackles of his will be mine though!

Got into the rabbit business at around 12.
First one won in an Easter egg hunt, dam white buck.
He got named Cuddles by my sister. But once he dropped his nuts,
he wasn't very nice anymore.
Sumbitch bit everyone he could.
In the meantime Dad did his thing, we built several pens and he bought a bunch more rabbits.

Once we had another buck, dad said something about Cuddles during a butchering session. Went straight to his pen, smacked him in the head and
threw him in the water.
Dad just laughed. "Guess you had enough of him, huh?".
© 24hourcampfire