Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Meet "El Feo"

[Linked Image]

He's an absolute A-hole to his hens when he's mounting them. Spurs and claws are tearing up the backs of a few, seems the ones that are most submissive suffer less damage.

I separated this one from the flock as she was so bad and one other hen would get after her, then El Feo would also, then 3-4 other hens would start pecking at her head when he mounted her. Since she's been separated, she's starting to grow feathers back.

[Linked Image]

I have a friend who might want her to help start up a flock of his own. If not, she might go in the stew pot................................along with a certain rooster.

However, I have another friend who says he's cut off spurs and cauterized the wound and effectively keeps mr rooster from growing them back. I may try that.

He's nice enough to me, perhaps because when he first started to feel the testosterone flowing I let him know who the boss rooster on this property is. He doesn't act up much now. He's good at letting the hens know when there's something good to eat and he does a better job than they do at watching the sky and for stuff in the yard. So I hate to get rid of him, but if I can't get him to stop tearing up the feathers on the hens, he might just get eaten.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Bake a potato in the microwave, when it is done to eat, grab it and grab the spurred rooster off the evening roost.
Roll him over and put the potato onto the spur for 120 seconds. Remove the spur and any issues.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That works, eh?

I might get the friend to help me with that.

Bet I could just leave that tater there outside the coop and they'd all hammer it for breakfast.

Thanks for the idea.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cra1948
Twice during the years I was in the Philippines there were news stories about people being killed in the cockpit by gamecocks that went crazy. Over there they are heeled with "slashers" , a knife-edged gaff on only one leg as opposed to the two needle-pointed type gaffs used here.

I used to sharpen those little knives for a bunch of Mexicans that were into fighting chickens. I could do a good job of it but when a cock lost, it might have been because the knives weren't sharp enough.

I got out of it before any of those SOBs got mad at me.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
We value your privacy
We and our partners use technology such as cookies on our site to personalise content and ads, provide social media features, and analyse our traffic. Click below to consent to the use of this technology across the web. You can change your mind and change your consent choices at anytime by returning to this site.

I ACCEPT
Manage

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Oldman3
When I was a kid, my aunt had a rooster that would attack you. I killed it one morning, for attacking me, and she fried it for dinner. Toughest old bird I ever tried to eat.

My BIL has 2 roosters and 1 will attack you. Had it jump on me about 2 years ago. Didn't hurt because I had on jeans, but I broke it from attacking me. I would stomp my foot at it and when it would jump at me, I'd kick it. Not hard enough to hurt it, just send it into the air a few feet. Did this until I had the rooster running from me. After that, if it even came around me, all I had to do was stomp my foot and it would run away. Told my SIL about it and now she doesn't have to tote a stick while in the yard to keep the rooster from attacking.

My current rooster is small (not much bigger than the average hen - might be part bantam), and keeps his distance from me. My previous rooster, Rodrigo (pictured below), was huge (about twice the size of an average hen) and nearly fearless. Early on, he'd attack me pretty regularly when I approached the hen house to do my chores. Then I started a well timed kick (like you describe) with the top of my foot, just hard enough to hurt a little and send him reeling back. At first, he'd come right at me again, and get a second kick. After a few times like this, he started keeping his distance just far enough from me so I can't reach him. That was good enough.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My uncle’s girlfriend has a bunch of hens she sells eggs from and every year when she gets some more chicks at the feed store she’ll accidentally get a rooster or two. She gets attached to them raising them up and won’t shoot or wring them herself. Here a few months ago she had two that were getting out of hand so uncle went and shot their heads off and brought them to me to eat.

They were the toughest birds I’ve ever seen. Their skin was like a tire tube and impossible to tear, nearly impossible to cut with a sharp knife. Mom ran them through the pressure cooker in hopes of tenderizing them and then flouring and frying. They curled up like a ball of rubber bands! So they went back in the pressure cooker and turned into some kind of casserole. Pretty good but definitely not worth the effort.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Watch this vicious rooster in action.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Back when I was a little guy a White Leghorn Rooster had me cornered and my Mother had to rescue me. After that I carried a stick with me and used the rooster for batting practice. He finally got the message and kept his distance from me. When he finally ended up in the stew pot I really enjoyed that meal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of my earliest memories was being attacked by a couple of them when I was about age 4. No real harm done but avoided them until I was a bit older.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

A good, tame "Boss" rooster doing his job can be interesting and sometimes even impressive to watch. It's not uncommon for them stand their ground and fight off (or at least try to) other animal attacks, often as not resulting in their own injury and/or death, to protect the rest of their flock. The same when caught out in extreme bad weather, they will try to lead the flock to the nearest familiar cover.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We had a couple mean ones, spur your ass when you walked by.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aalf

Lmao

I’ve seen more than a few karate kids fold under attack, but that was cute and funny

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
That works, eh?

I might get the friend to help me with that.

Bet I could just leave that tater there outside the coop and they'd all hammer it for breakfast.

Thanks for the idea.

Geno

It works 100%, we've done it many times. I was spurred once in the left calf, bled like a stuck hog, killed the mean mofo and then started researching options for spur growth on any future rooster that we might have.
No more issues with the potato method. Although all of our roosters these days are friendly fellas.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A cattle prod will break any rooster from attacking you, GUARANTEED.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sounds like a Greek tragedy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
We had roosters on the farm when I was a lad. One attacked me. We ate it that evening for dinner.

Fava beans?....chianti???

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We just lost a great little Banty to Raccoons, "the Colonal" liked to be picked up and held LOL, he would sit on the swing with the grandkids too, normally I wouldn't have noticed him but he forced me to like him when he would come over and dig himself a hole and watch me work on vehicles outside my shop.....2 ded Coons.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That varicose vein looked like a big fat juicy worm.

RIP

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 24 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,706
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.