Home
Posted By: Birdwatcher My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
First off, cats have always been sorta disposable around my household, in the last 20 years at least ten have come and gone, only one expiring from anything resembling old age. Most just weren’t around one morning.

When my marriage fell apart I was left here with three dogs and two cats. Two healers have since expired of old age, and one cat prob’ly died of internal injuries inflicted by the surviving heeler.

This last cat my ex left here as a tiny four week old kitten. I Hand- raised it the first couple of weeks. Five years old now, waits for me in the driveway to get home, follows me everywhere, It’s been dropping weight lately, becoming lethargic this past week, first time ever this evening it didn’t try to jump into my lap on the front porch, just lay at my feet.

I even went out and bought $2 a meal gourmet cat food today, it only ate a little. I’m guessing one of those cat viruses. My sense of it is the cat is on the way out, five years old, a pity. Ain’t gonna replace it, really, another vestige of my formerly married state passing on.

The one dog remaining will be happy, she has to go out back when I let the cat in. If the cat croaks she’ll get to hang with me out front in the evenings. That dog is seven this year, prob’ly be around for a while.
Posted By: slumlord Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
Feline leukemia?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
maybe worms.
Posted By: 673 Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
Originally Posted by stxhunter
maybe worms.

Yes worms.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
Western Medicine has come a long way Birdie.

You need not light a candle for ole Catburg just yet.......
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
Originally Posted by slumlord
Feline leukemia?

That’s what I was thinking.

Take it to the Vet.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
Could be a lot of things. Take it to the vet.

Until then, see if you can get it to eat a jar of baby food and soften some butter up in the microwave,...see if it'll eat that.
Posted By: joken2 Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19

Last of wife's two cats she's had for about 11 - 12 years died last week. It was a good bit older than your cat but it's symptoms sound the same. Took around a month beginning to end for it to die. Didn't act like it was in any pain at all nor any sensitive to the touch areas. Just started barely eating, acting puny, got skinnier and skinnier and punier and punier then finally just quit breathing. It would drink a little water every so often though.

Tried several different special commercial cat foods plus chicken pureed human baby food and real canned mackerel, tuna and sardines canned in water. Still wouldn't do more that take a few licks of the liquid and none of the solid food. Best guess most likely age and/or internal organ/organs shutting down with her cat.

Her other cat that died last year was a little older and a good bit bigger and fatter, was acting normal as always, went to sleep one night and didn't wake up the next morning.. No prior symptoms whatsoever.

Posted By: EdM Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
Can't help you as I am not a cat fan. Many junkyard cats succumbed to a Smith M28-2... That said, my wife is. We are just back after near three months at our place in north Idaho with two brother cats left in stow that a neighbor takes care of here in Boerne. One just hangs inside, the other outside. Today was the first time we saw the outsider since we have been back.
Posted By: hookeye Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
My cat did that. She was old though.....18.
Got the call while in deer stand, the ol lady said it'll be 600 bucks to fix her up.
Got home from deer hunting..........no cat.
Nope they kept her overnight, will cost a little more for that, she said.

Then more tests and overnights.

End result, dead cat, cancer, a month later for $1800.

I paid half.
Still pisses me off how the vet drew it out.
18 yr old cat, shoulda been up front w the ol lady about what was what.

IMHO a cat has a $200 vet bill limit, if it's the best friggin cat in the world.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
I'm not a cat person, but someone dropped off cat at our garage sale a few years ago. Coolest cat ever, used to ride around on my shoulders when I worked outside. Followed me everywhere, just a cool personality. Outdoor cat. Called him boy cat. Then the neighbors moved and abandoned their cat, which we found starving under their house. Now two outdoor cats. Ticks were a big problem out there. Then the skunks, possums, and coons found their cat food on the back porch. Dog got into them all, vet bills, messes, drama. Cats had to go. Now one indoor cat and he has a weird personality.

I think I'd rather spend $1000 on a bad dog than a good cat. I don't get cats really. YMMV.
Posted By: Remsen Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
Same thing happened to my first cat. Turned out to be kidney disease, which was treatable with daily IV fluids and some drugs (which we were happy to do to keep the cat healthy). She lived for another 7 years with treatment.
Posted By: greydog Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
Several years ago, my wife's best friend was dying of lymphoma. Her deathbed wish was that we would take care of her somewhat neurotic, eleven or twelve year old cat. We promised we would. I figured it likely wouldn't be for too long anyway. Damn cat is now 16 or 17 years old with no apparent health issues. Most of her food seems to be coverted into fur which she then sheds around the house. Birdwatcher's post gives me hope. GD
Posted By: JSTUART Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
First off, cats have always been sorta disposable around my household, in the last 20 years at least ten have come and gone, only one expiring from anything resembling old age. Most just weren’t around one morning.

When my marriage fell apart I was left here with three dogs and two cats. Two healers have since expired of old age, and one cat prob’ly died of internal injuries inflicted by the surviving heeler.

This last cat my ex left here as a tiny four week old kitten. I Hand- raised it the first couple of weeks. Five years old now, waits for me in the driveway to get home, follows me everywhere, It’s been dropping weight lately, becoming lethargic this past week, first time ever this evening it didn’t try to jump into my lap on the front porch, just lay at my feet.

I even went out and bought $2 a meal gourmet cat food today, it only ate a little. I’m guessing one of those cat viruses. My sense of it is the cat is on the way out, five years old, a pity. Ain’t gonna replace it, really, another vestige of my formerly married state passing on.

The one dog remaining will be happy, she has to go out back when I let the cat in. If the cat croaks she’ll get to hang with me out front in the evenings. That dog is seven this year, prob’ly be around for a while.

Sorry, don't see the problem.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
I usually take my pets to the vet..........
Posted By: OMCHamlin Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

He would have to seek care for it, and it don't sound likely that's gonna happen. Shame, too, cause that cat sounds like it really like him, which seems unusual in cats...
Oh well, I'm a dog person anyhow.
Posted By: kellory Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
Last cat I owned was torn apart by 4 feral dogs that dug thier way into my yard. I wasn't fast enough to save her, but shot all 4 of her attackers.
I'd have to figure out the dates, but it's been probably 25 years since, and I still miss that cat.
I would suggest a trip to the vet, sir.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
Our cat showed up here 10 years ago already grown and castrated. He has to be 12 or more. In all that time, we've only had to take him to the vet once. He's very friendly and has been a great pet. He looks good now but he could go any time. He was an outdoor cat for years but then he discovered the dog door and evolved into an indoor cat almost instantly.
Posted By: Campsterpoor Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
Life always brings to us more than we can handle. Its like no one care until we finally fall apart.
Posted By: tomk Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
Well, if you give a damn take it to the vet and get an estimate at least.

Current cat arrived very ill and starving--castrated male. Our vermin killing 100# of male dog adopted him. Antibiotics & recovered. He then learned accounting and helps Carol with her checkbook AND kills chipmunks. What more can a guy ask for?
Posted By: muleshoe Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
I never have sick cats .
Posted By: JamesJr Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
Rumor was a local gal had a sick kitty..........and it'd make you sick if you petted it.

And before some smartazz asks.......no, I didn't, and I wouldn't have even if it's been a healthy kitty.
Posted By: 79S Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
Gd how cheap are you? Are you that ph ucking broke you can’t take a cat to a vet.. and you wonder why some or if not most think you are idiot..
Posted By: 673 Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
My female cat is the best pet I have ever had, found her living under my shed....comes up and meows and kisses me if i raise my voice, lol, best buddy ever.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
we have four outside cats and one inside one. we've had several over the years. had one black cat got hit by a car or something, wife took it the the vet, had a badly broken leg wanted 2000 to fix it. screw that brought it home rubbed volcanico on it for a couple weeks and after about three weeks it was getting up and after about 5-6 weeks it was back to normal.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
Originally Posted by 79S
Gd how cheap are you? Are you that ph ucking broke you can’t take a cat to a vet.

Maybe, depends on the bill.

Shoot me if ya want, I ain't about to spend big money on a cat, just the way it is. I get 'em fixed, I get 'em their shots and I feed them, or it. If that makes me cruel then so be it.

Most I ever spend on a vet was $900, when our dog got injured.

Cat only started looking really out of sorts this past weekend, so it ain't like its been moping around obviously ill forever.

....and you wonder why some or if not most think you are idiot..

Some people's opinions don't matter all that much, considering the source.

Anyhoo... I think you're just PO'd on account of them Rocky Boys girls thought I was cool wink

Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: My cat is sick. - 09/03/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

We'll see, can't do it today, I'll bring it to the vet tomorrow.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: My cat is sick. - 09/04/19
Mom had one of her cats that lived to be 21. She loved that old cat like it was one of us kids

When Mom died last year, she had a 10 year old 15 lb female Calico that’s been fixed and declawed. It hasn’t lived outside since it was 4 weeks old when Mom found it outside abandoned.
My brother & sister both have big ole dogs.
So guess who got stuck with the cat. 🤠

She’s no trouble. She sleeps, she eats, she purrs, and wants her belly rubbed 3 or 4 times a day. Purrs so loud she sounds like a Harley Davidson. She’s sleeping in my lap as I type this. 😬
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: My cat is sick. - 09/04/19
$55 plus a $35 rabies shot just to LOOK at the cat, whatever treatment to follow added on. I’m already out-of-pocket more’n that just last week for school supplies. Got significant expenses for auto repairs coming up shortly. Hey, I’m out hundreds every month on behalf of family members, I just ain’t feeling spending hundreds on this cat.

Cat has been stretched out under the car in the driveway since this morning. It is clear-eyed, not drooling and alert, just totally lethargic. Got home tonight and lay down next to the car and called the cat. It got up, walked over to me, didn’t want the water I brung, turned around after I peered it a bit and lay back down back where it had been. When it does move it moves normally with no unsteadiness or paralysis.I can only assume it got water where it usually is on the front porch today
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: My cat is sick. - 09/04/19
Mike, get a eye dropper and give it some milk like that. We had to do that to one of Mom’s old cats that was real dehydrated. Got it up and going again after a couple of days, and then it started drinking on its own again.
Posted By: ldholton Re: My cat is sick. - 09/04/19
Cats are for keeping barn mice in check. Heelers keep cats in check. Next question.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: My cat is sick. - 09/04/19
Animal's never known anyone else, and given you 5 years of its life.

When it needs you, you're too cheap to take it to the vet.

All anybody needs ta know bout you.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: My cat is sick. - 09/04/19
Poor kitty. You should call the humane society and turn yourself in.
Posted By: 79S Re: My cat is sick. - 09/04/19
$55 plus a $35 rabies shot just to LOOK at the cat, whatever treatment to follow added on. I’m already out-of-pocket more’n that just last week for school supplies. Got significant expenses for auto repairs coming up shortly. Hey, I’m out hundreds every month on behalf of family members, I just ain’t feeling spending hundreds on this cat.

Cat has been stretched out under the car in the driveway since this morning. It is clear-eyed, not drooling and alert, just totally lethargic. Got home tonight and lay down next to the car and called the cat. It got up, walked over to me, didn’t want the water I brung, turned around after I peered it a bit and lay back down back where it had been. When it does move it moves normally with no unsteadiness or paralysis.I can only assume it got water where it usually is on the front porch today

You are so gd broke you can afford $90 bucks [bleep].. go stand in the middle of the road hope like hell dump truck hits you..
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Animal's never known anyone else, and given you 5 years of its life.

I was thinking it was sorta the other way around. I imagine there’s a reason that cat has thought so highly of me over the years, maybe I was always kind to it, who knows?

But you can help; send me $500 quick. I’ll send back the change.
Originally Posted by 79S
You are so gd broke you can afford $90 bucks [bleep].. go stand in the middle of the road hope like hell dump truck hits you..

I know..... I’ll give up a/c and hot water, and drive an old, beat up car...... oh, wait.......

Three years down, a year to go.

I’ll bet them Rocky Boys girls wouldn’t even give you the time of day, let alone invite you to take their picture. Just sayin’ wink
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Mike, get a eye dropper and give it some milk like that. We had to do that to one of Mom’s old cats that was real dehydrated. Got it up and going again after a couple of days, and then it started drinking on its own again.

Good idea, I’ll give it a try. Wasn’t interested in water again this am.
Posted By: Jahrs Re: My cat is sick. - 09/04/19
Milk, the pasteurized stuff, will most likely dehydrate him even more especially if he’s dehydrated already.
Oops didn’t realize that last post wast 11 hours ago, probably dead now.
Posted By: WhiteTail48 Re: My cat is sick. - 09/04/19
Come on, Birdie, take your loyal furry pet to a vet.
Step up! How heartless otherwise.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: My cat is sick. - 09/04/19
All cats are not created equal...in my eyes, at least. I've known some that were treasures and some that were turds. I'd spend plenty of money to keep mine around a few more years IF the vet could convince me the prospects were good.

The cat I have now was a freak when the wife brought him home. Locked him in a bathroom for a week to let him acclimate, and after that he was friendly and affectionate. The first couple of years he'd be at the door waiting for me to come home from work, and he'd be pissed if he didn't get attention immediately.

One night I was getting ready to shower and was sitting on the edge of the bed then stood up and bent over to drop my drawers, and that little [bleep] gave me a lovebite right on the ass. The wife about suffocated laughing, and the cat got roughed up a little for his trouble (he loves it, and his "lovebite" was just that, he's never actually bitten anyone).

A while back, he suddenly stopped eating and got lethargic. He got worse and worse over a day or so and we took him to the vet. They had no idea what it was but offered to run thousands of dollars worth of tests for things that would be fatal in short order. I won't go for that nonsense...anyway, we took him home and kept him on the bed that night...he couldn't even hold his head up, just laid there like a wet rag. I was sure he'd be dead in the morning, but lo and behold, he started stirring and stood up and wobbled to the edge of the bed. He then went to his water bowl and demanded some food. He got better and better over a couple of days time, and about back to normal in about a week. All I can figure is he had a stroke, which evidently is not terrible uncommon for cats, nor is their recovery.

He's a great cat. I'd pay good money to extend his [good] life, but not his suffering.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: My cat is sick. - 09/04/19
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48
Come on, Birdie, take your loyal furry pet to a vet.
Step up! How heartless otherwise.

You don't understand.

The cat was lucky ta get ta hang around with a cool guy like birdy.

It'll recover, because if it dies, it won't get to be with birdy anymore.

SSOB probably tries ta sell his used toilet paper on ebay as air fresheners.
Originally Posted by 79S

I know..... I’ll give up a/c and hot water, and drive an old, beat up car...... oh, wait.......

Three years down, a year to go.

I’ll bet them Rocky Boys girls wouldn’t even give you the time of day, let alone invite you to take their picture. Just sayin’ wink

Oh boy.. I grew up on a reservation you dumb a$$.. if you think your special cause some Rez girls let you take their pictures you are dumber than I thought..
They give you the Indian name “dumbass” ?
My Buddy would be going to the vet. Coolest cat ive ever had.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mudhen Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
I have had a lot of cats over the years. Some we "adopted" from a shelter (paying an "adoption fee"), but most of them adopted us. We have never had a bad one, though some didn't last long (owls, coyotes, bobcats, etc.) By the time a cat got sick enough to need the attention of a veterinarian (who was usually at least an hour and a half away), treatments typically were not going to save it. When my daughters were little, they learned at a young age that cats (like sheep) are pretty much born looking for a place to die (although we did have two that lived at least 15 years).

To me, cats, no matter how affectionate they may be, are expendable. I guess that if I lived in a city, I might have a different perspective.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
Originally Posted by 79S
Oh boy.. I grew up on a reservation you dumb a$$.. if you think your special cause some Rez girls let you take their pictures you are dumber than I thought..

Sir, I am smarter than I look 😎

...and they REQUESTED I take their picture.

Do you seriously think those Rocky Boys girls drive up and down the highway asking strange old White guys to take their photo? No, of course not.

Ergo I am special 😎

Would they ask YOU to take their photo? No, of course not.
Some guys got it, some guys don’t. Just the way it is, Yo.
Here’s the way it is. If I weren’t sending off about 40% of my take home pay every month I’d be a lot more amenable to extravances like vet bills where you ante up $90 just to set foot in the door.

Until I clear that debt I’m no use to anyone.

I jetted home at lunch to check on the cat, dragged the closest thing I’ve seen to a live dead cat from under the other car and brung it inside the house. Limp, semi-conscious, eyes wide open. Dropped it some water on its muzzle which it sometimes licked off. Dead by tonight for sure.

Came home this evening, seemed like it had drank some water I left. Got it to drink a bit of milk by dripping lit on its muzzle, whereupon it got up, walked clear across the house to the garage, and took a good long pee in its litter box. Now it’s crashed out in the garage. When I rolled a ball across the garage it watched it intently. Who knows, maybe it’ll pull through.

Next up vet-related; turns out my son’s ex BiL left off his uncut male 1yo pit bull at his mom’s house, the very same house where my 8yo granddaughter spends considerable time. Went to pick up the kid there on Monday. They put the dog in a crate before answering the door, dog does it’s best to tear out of the crate to tear me a new one. In the middle of that my granddaughter puts her hand in the cage thinking to calm the dog.

I have offered to pay to have the dog’s nuts removed to take the edge off. If they agree I can prob’ly get it done for $100, but in that case I’d ante up whatever it takes.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
Cat doesn't have the capacity to tell ya how much pain it might be in.

And you don't have the capacity to care.

Course, if it dies, you can always start a thread bout how *you* hadda take time outta *your* busy day, ta pick it up and put it in the trash.
Posted By: WhiteTail48 Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
People who have no compassion or financial resources shouldn’t have pets...

Course, if it dies, you can always start a thread bout how *you* hadda take time outta *your* busy day, ta pick it up and put it in the trash.

But you clearly do,,senzd me $700, I’ll send back the change.

If the cat dies, I’ll throw it in the freezer until it rains and my front lawn softens up enought to dig. I’ll bury it next to our little
terrier that likewise lived its whole life here.
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48
People who have no compassion or financial resources shouldn’t have pets...

Things happen.

Anyhoo, the dog is gonna be saddened. I ain’t having it in the house until the cat thing works out one way or the other.

I dont care.

If it DOES get by me it’ll kill that weakened cat in no time at all.

I don’t care about that either grin

But you clearly do,,senzd me $700, I’ll send back the change.

First $500, then $700

Channeling Safariman?

PM me your paypal (or post it in this thread) and I'll send you $500, you pussy.

And I don't want anything back from you.

I hate cats, but I don't hate one bad enough to put it through your shat.
I dunno what the cat would cost, plus I’m liable to be spending money on that pit bull at my grandkid’s other grandparents house.

Thanks fer the offer but I’d be crazy to take you up on it given your overt hostility to me fer years now, and then I would insist on paying you back.

-I- haven’t put the cat through anything besides giving it a very good life for five years and now treating it as best my economic circumstance allows.

I gotta tell you tho, like some others here I have always regarded cats as one of those animals that comes and goes.
Birdy's ego v. an innocent animal's suffering.

And the winner is.............................

Birdy's ego.

What a surprise.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
People on here are talking crazy prices for vet fees.

The vet we use is very good. He doesn't work for nothing, but he won't put you in the poor house.

I've had my dog for 2.5 years. I've pretty much kept him doctored up as much as any dog needs to be. He's had all his vaccinations, he gets a heartworm pill and a flea/tick pill every month, he had a bad ear infection once and I had him in twice because he developed a limp. (turned out to be a foot inflammation from something he got into)

I *might* have spent $1500 on him since I've had him,...max,...and a big part of that was from the initial vaccinations and stuff.

We also have all of these cats running around. I can't even tell you all the stuff they've been to the vet for and I don't know how much money has been spent on them over the past 20 years. If I had to guess, I'd say 4 to 5 cats run us about $250 a year. (A lot of it is optional, but my wife loves cats)

I don't know what's wrong with the cat. Maybe it's something that's more than a reasonable person would want to spend.

But I would bet that my vet would diagnose it for under $200. Maybe even much less. He charges $90 for blood workup and there's a *lot* that can be determined with a blood workup.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
Fubarski is angling for a cat-skin hat, I'd say. Kind of the rugged mtn man look....
Posted By: 79S Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
Dr telling birdwatcher family “ well it’s going to cost 30k to treat him and that’s not counting hospital stay”... 2 hours later birdwatcher dumped in his drive way with a bowl of water left next to him..
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
Hate to side with the 'haters', Mike, but I guess I feel that if you took the cat--or any other animal--in as a 'pet', you're pretty much obligated to care for it. If you're in a situation where you can't afford or aren't willing to look after it while healthy or in sickness, you owe it to the animal to divest yourself of the responsibility and care of it. I mean this wholeheartedly, and I hope that, having met me, you know I'm not bullshytting you: if it's truly money that is the issue, take the cat in and have it looked over/diagnosed. If it's something curable and under a couple grand to fix, I'll pay the vet bill for you. Contingent on your having it treated on my dime and then agreeing to put it up for adoption. If you do so and no one adopts the cat, I'll take it in. Serious offer. I'm saddened to say so, but I'm disappointed in you.
Originally Posted by 79S
Dr telling birdwatcher family “ well it’s going to cost 30k to treat him and that’s not counting hospital stay”... 2 hours later birdwatcher dumped in his drive way with a bowl of water left next to him..

Not all that far from the truth. Over the last four years I’ve had three molars and premolars get infected and break off at the gum line such that I have a gap-toothed smile. The infections all drained out through the side of the respective gums and near as I can tell were self-limiting All in all I’m missing five teeth, not including wisdom teeth which are long gone.

This is gonna require some serious attention someday, hopefully not for a few years yet, I got other things I need to be paid off first.

Dumped in the driveway with a bowl of water? Prob’ly ain’t all that far off. I sincerely hope I get to die outside, somewhere when the time comes. The last thing I’d want is to spend money preserving it that could otherwise be used by others in their ongoing lives.

How long are we supposed to live anyway?
Originally Posted by 79S

Not all that far from the truth. Over the last four years I’ve had three molars and premolars get infected and break off at the gum line such that I have a gap-toothed smile. The infections all drained out through the side of the respective gums and near as I can tell were self-limiting All in all I’m missing five teeth, not including wisdom teeth which are long gone.

This is gonna require some serious attention someday, hopefully not for a few years yet, I got other things I need to be paid off first.

Dumped in the driveway with a bowl of water? Prob’ly ain’t all that far off. I sincerely hope I get to die outside, somewhere when the time comes. The last thing I’d want is to spend money preserving it that could otherwise be used by others in their ongoing lives.

Sure..
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Hate to side with the 'haters', Mike, but I guess I feel that if you took the cat--or any other animal--in as a 'pet', you're pretty much obligated to care for it. If you're in a situation where you can't afford or aren't willing to look after it while healthy or in sickness, you owe it to the animal to divest yourself of the responsibility and care of it. I mean this wholeheartedly, and I hope that, having met me, you know I'm not bullshytting you: if it's truly money that is the issue, take the cat in and have it looked over/diagnosed. If it's something curable and under a couple grand to fix, I'll pay the vet bill for you. Contingent on your having it treated on my dime and then agreeing to put it up for adoption. If you do so and no one adopts the cat, I'll take it in. Serious offer. I'm saddened to say so, but I'm disappointed in you.

Leighton, I can bear your disappointment.
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Sure..

Absolutely.

I’d send ya a photo of my teeth but they’re awful.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
Dood, someone is going to call the humane society on you. Do you really want your face plastered all over facebook; or end up on a tv reality series?

Remember Cecil the lion?
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Dood, someone is going to call the humane society on you. Do you really want your face plastered all over facebook; or end up on a tv reality series?

Remember Cecil the lion?

Indeed.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
This website is just full of wacky old guys.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
Of that I'm certain, and I didn't mean to imply that my ethics should equal yours. In fact, pretty clearly they do not. All animals I have adopted/taken home have been given love, food, shelter and medical care, if necessary, for their whole lives. I guess I figured all these years that that was the deal, even if unspoken, as it were.. Apparently, in your world, the part about providing medical care isn't part of the deal. So be it. I offered a possible solution and an opinion, that is all. Maybe a judgement, too, but worth what you paid for it. Take my offer or leave it. Pity your 'pride' and financial situation has your 'pet' sprawled underneath a car rather than being looked at in a clinic.
Birdy, I may have come across a bit harsh on this thread.

If I did, I don't apologize.

Without regard to that, don't ruin your rep on this site.

Take the cat to a vet.

Post the vet's contact info here.

The 'fire will take care of the bill.

You'd want a chance ta live.

Give one to the cat.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
Fuuck it, Wageslave and I are in for another $5k.

Each.....

And now SandBilly is in for some $$$....

C'mon guys, let's get this up to $100k and give this cat a new lease on life.

Posted By: Beaver10 Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

Leighton, I can bear your disappointment.

Now, I understand why Travis would light you up on a regular basis. You lack more than funds Bird. 😎
I have a nice cat robe to donate. In case the weather is inclement on the trip to the veterinarian.

[Linked Image]
Guys he's a ph ucking idiot.. he starts a thread cat is sick.. the logical answer is take it to a vet.. people tell him comes up with excuse oh I don't have time today, I'm broke, I can't afford $90 bucks... then trying to be funny oh I have bad teeth send me money, my car is a pos send me money, I don't have a hot water heater send me money. This guy is a ph ucking idiot that is teaching kids that's the scary part.
Well damn, this was self-indicted I’d guess.
“Sigh”.....

This is the stupidest thread I ever started. I’ll drop the cat at the vet tomorrow, pay fer it myself.

No I ain’t gonna take a nickel.

Next time I’ll just STFU.
Posted By: ElkSlayer91 Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
I bet the cat dies, but this thread never will.

Call a pet rescue place, and have them pick up the cat. It’s still young, and they will revitalize it.

By this thread going on here, it’s a HUGE BLACK EYE for hunters, and the outdoors community.

Rick Bin please…please…please delete this thread.
Originally Posted by 79S
Guys he's a ph ucking idiot.. he starts a thread cat is sick.. the logical answer is take it to a vet.. people tell him comes up with excuse oh I don't have time today, I'm broke, I can't afford $90 bucks... then trying to be funny oh I have bad teeth send me money, my car is a pos send me money, I don't have a hot water heater send me money. This guy is a ph ucking idiot that is teaching kids that's the scary part.

Don’t wet yerself there Bub.

Always mount the cat first, then take it to the taxidermist.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
Well damn, this was self-indicted I’d guess.
“Sigh”.....

This is the stupidest thread I ever started. I’ll drop the cat at the vet tomorrow, pay fer it myself.

No I ain’t gonna take a nickel.

Yeah right.

At least have the decency to put the cat out of his misery. I’ll send you some flint.
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
I bet the cat dies, but this thread never will.

Call a pet rescue place, and have them pick up the cat. It’s still young, and they will revitalize it.

By this thread going on here, it’s a HUGE BLACK EYE for hunters, and the outdoors community.

Rick Bin please…please…please delete this thread.

You either.

How is this helping grin
Posted By: kwg020 Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
You forgot the rules: Shoot, shovel, shut up. It's a cat. If anyone wants one we have way too many at the farm.

kwg
Posted By: Sycamore Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19

How is this helping grin

Bear's a helper...it's what he does....
Originally Posted by 79S
... then trying to be funny oh I have bad teeth send me money,

I was joking about the money thing but Fubar called my bluff.

Teeth? Surely on the Rez you seen folks missing teeth with age. It happens, it’s even borderline normal, and it’s usually survivable, which is why there are older humans all over the world with gap-toothed smiles.
Posted By: WAM Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
I don't like cats, but if I had one and it was sick I think I would take it to the vet and see WTF is going on. Good luck with your kitty. I wouldn't really mind a barn cat or two to kill rats but most of them get fed and get fat and lazy. If a feral cat gets too old and slow around our place, it will likely be snacked by a coyote or taken out by one of my Labs.
Bear's a helper

Oh the drama. I have helped you significantly grin
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
It’s a cat not a human. If it makes it fine if not that’s fine too. Tell all the asshats that think you’re obligated to spend money on the cat to GFY. I have to trap them around the house all the time because I have a couple of crazy cat ladies in the neighborhood. I don’t have a heart trap...conibear.
I don’t have a heart trap...conibear.

I suppose you don't take em to the vet either frown
Posted By: 19352012 Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19

Why would he? They are in the stabilest of conditions after the conibear catches them.
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
It’s a cat not a human.

There it is: and I assumed all this debt precisely in the interests of those humans I bear family obligations to. I sure hate to go backwards even an inch on that.

But, on this sick cat issue I got myself into this mess by posting here.

The cat was obviously concerned last night about me letting the dog into the house overnight as I usually do. But I wasn’t paying attention and got into a crawlspace where if it rediscovered it’s climbing ability before it died I would have to cut a hole in the sheet rock or ceiling to get it out of there. Fortunately, I guess it figured the dog wasn’t going to come in after all it walked into my bedroom sometime during the night and lay down on the floor next to me.

Who knows, it’s only been sick like this since Monday evening and today’s only Thursday morning. Maybe it would’ve Pulled through on its own.It sure would be ironic if the considerable stress and trauma of me sticking it into a cat carrier and driving it in the car to the vet pushed it over the edge.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
Put the cat down or take it to a vet.

Simple.....
One or the other.....
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Now, I understand why Travis would light you up on a regular basis. You lack more than funds Bird. 😎

I think, on balance, this place is better off without Travis. I know for a fact he was instrumental in some good folks' decisions to mostly quit this place.

'Spect he'll be back sooner or later after he deals with whatever issues he's dealing with at present.
Originally Posted by renegade50
Put the cat down or take it to a vet.

Simple.....
One or the other.....

Tell ya what, fer only $25,000 plus airfare and lodging you can shoot my cat, pose fer photos and make a trophy place mat.

The money will be donated to the natives, for whom life is a daily struggle.

Prob’ly should’nt post it on social media tho wink

Next up...... “Dentists Without Borders”........

http://www.smileswithoutborders.com/index.asp
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
Birdy seems more interested in keeping this thread alive than the cat.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
I think the cat's dead.
Hey Birdy, do you realize you've typed enough valid and credible info to hang yourself before a jury for cruelty to an animal? If it were to die...what decision do you think a Communist jury, in your Communist run county, would bring back from the jury room to hang around someone's neck from a Conservative outdoor "gun" forum?

You should be BEGGING Rick to delete this thread.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I think the cat's dead.

The vet doesn’t think so.

Awaiting a verdict on if it’s terminal.
Posted By: BayouRover Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
I think the cat's dead.

The vet doesn’t think so.

So have you taken it to a vet? Fess up..........

Birdy, I enjoyed your bike trip earlier but this thread is pure stupidity. I now understand why some rag on you so hard.

You can only hide behind your I'm saving money approach on certain topics. This is not one of them. Grow a pair and do the right thing for the cat, whatever that is.
I’m at the vet right now you yinyong.
Posted By: WAM Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
Originally Posted by 19352012

Why would he? They are in the stabilest of conditions after the conibear catches them.

Almost ROTFLMAO !!! I spit my coffee and almost pissed myself on this one....Happy Trails
Posted By: BayouRover Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19

Its good to see you are finally doing the right thing and not just increasing your post count because of a sick cat.

Get them to draw your blood too...and run tests.

Originally Posted by BayouRover
You can only hide behind your I'm saving money approach on certain topics.

“Saving money” is one thing, clearing crippling debt so as to be in a position to support others in need is a whole ‘nother ballgame.

Its good to see you are finally doing the right thing and not just increasing your post count because of a sick cat.

Why would I care about my post count?

I’m honestly surprised at the direction this thread has taken.

Pic of vet and cat with current dtg.
Or it never happened.

Let us beleive......

Nice of the school system ta call in a sub for ya ta take mr whiskers to the vet today.
Or has school yet to get started down their yet?
Posted By: kellory Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19

Yep, perfectly stationary, and at attention. wink

Or it never happened.

Let us beleive......

Nice of the school system ta call in a sub for ya ta take mr whiskers to the vet today.

They'll be no pics. Book it.
Posted By: poboy Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
"Det Cat? Call Juan - The used cat dealer!"
Posted By: kellory Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
Originally Posted by poboy
"Det Cat? Call Juan - The used cat dealer!"

Could probably pick up one at the Chinese buffet.... wink
Originally Posted by kellory

Yep, perfectly stationary, and at attention. wink

Kinda L or V shaped sometimes ........
Posted By: gunzo Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
You guys heard the one about the beastophile the sadist the pyro the murderer the necrophile the masochist and...... The Cat?

Or it never happened.

Let us beleive......

Used up a sick day but I can get in fer the second half (after all this time I got about 130 unused sick days on tap anyhoo).

Turns out the cat had feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV), no vaccine, no cure. I had em slip it the needle while I petted it.

The whole thing today cost near $500. Here’s one thing folks should know; I coulda saved $300 if I had ‘em stop at the virus check, which positive result rendered all the rest moot. I had thought that was what they were going to do but apparently I misunderstood.

To the vet’s credit though she seemed genuinely surprised by the positive result, based of the yellow-green color of the cat’s ear linings she was expecting hepatitis, bacterial or viral either one.

If it HAD just been hepatitis, about $400 today woulda been just the opening round crazy

One good thing is FIV ain’t like Parvo in dogs, the virus doesn’t pollute the surroundings for a year, can’t survive outside of body fluids.

I put the cat on ice, soon as the ground softens up enough to seal off any stink I’ll bury the cat next to the front porch where it spent most of its life.

So there it is.
Posted By: wageslave Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Fuuck it, Wageslave and I are in for another $5k.

Each.....

And now SandBilly is in for some $$$....

C'mon guys, let's get this up to $100k and give this cat a new lease on life.

Brother,
don't be a pussy. (no pun intended)
$5000 a piece is for serfs.
I pledge half of my winnings from the Roundup lawsuit to this noble cause.
Me and that cat are gonna be rich.

Slave

Posted By: wageslave Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
Hey,
how can I pay a dead cat?
BitCoin?

They'll be no pics. Book it.

Couldn't rotate this without making it really small.

My cat awaiting the long sleep. Injection thingy already installed on a hind leg.

[Linked Image]

Yo Fubarski, thanks fer steering me to do the right thing cool
I stand corrected.

I wouldn't spend $500 on my cat...much more likely to get a .22 mag behind the ear.

You done good BW.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
Sorry to hear about that Mike. At least it won’t suffer. You did good.
I wouldn't spend $500 on my cat...much more likely to get a .22 mag behind the ear.

Going in, I figured the cat had a chance, it looked better today than it did just yesterday, but had I known the prognosis at the start, much cheaper and just as quick options woulda come to mind. No one woulda noticed a random gunshot where I live grin
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Sorry to hear about that Mike. At least it won’t suffer. You did good.

Ya, she was a sweet-natured and pretty cat, and since I hand-raised her since when she was a tiny ball of fluff she always did believe I was really her mom.

[Linked Image]

Three dogs and two cats down to just the one dog now, a whole lot easier given my present circumstance.
Posted By: tzone Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19
Since you can't go to Walmart anymore...

.22 LR

Would have saved $499.60
An indian with a quiver made from mountain lion, was known as a great hunter; perhaps a black hide on your bicycle would signify something?
Posted By: lvmiker Re: My cat is sick. - 09/05/19

You can only hide behind your I'm saving money approach on certain topics.

“Saving money” is one thing, clearing crippling debt so as to be in a position to support others in need is a whole ‘nother ballgame.

Yet more of the nobility of poverty. Some may remain unconvinced despite your testimony. When one can't maintain his teeth, let alone his pets it may be time to examine your life choices....rationally. Not while rationalizing. At least you found another subject w/ which to draw attention to yourself.

congrats

mike r
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Yet more of the nobility of poverty. Some may remain unconvinced despite your testimony.

OK, call it the dumfuggery of poverty if ya want <“shrug”> Since I got no more cats left an end to this debt hole is in sight cool Meanwhile my credit rating is well into the 800’s if that matters any. How high can it get?

When one can't maintain his teeth, let alone his pets it may be time to examine your life choices..

I would submit restorative dentistry is so steep LOTS of folks are gonna have to make hard choices between their mouth and something/someone else. My present immediate life choices are to clear debt and pay off the house ASAP.

After that, if I’m still here, might be a toss up ‘tween my teeth and a boat I dunno.

Anyhoo..... In the long term, the cat set me back about ten days
© 24hourcampfire