Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
First off, cats have always been sorta disposable around my household, in the last 20 years at least ten have come and gone, only one expiring from anything resembling old age. Most just weren’t around one morning.

When my marriage fell apart I was left here with three dogs and two cats. Two healers have since expired of old age, and one cat prob’ly died of internal injuries inflicted by the surviving heeler.

This last cat my ex left here as a tiny four week old kitten. I Hand- raised it the first couple of weeks. Five years old now, waits for me in the driveway to get home, follows me everywhere, It’s been dropping weight lately, becoming lethargic this past week, first time ever this evening it didn’t try to jump into my lap on the front porch, just lay at my feet.

I even went out and bought $2 a meal gourmet cat food today, it only ate a little. I’m guessing one of those cat viruses. My sense of it is the cat is on the way out, five years old, a pity. Ain’t gonna replace it, really, another vestige of my formerly married state passing on.

The one dog remaining will be happy, she has to go out back when I let the cat in. If the cat croaks she’ll get to hang with me out front in the evenings. That dog is seven this year, prob’ly be around for a while.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 09/02/19.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Feline leukemia?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
maybe worms.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
maybe worms.

Yes worms.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Western Medicine has come a long way Birdie.

You need not light a candle for ole Catburg just yet.......

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
Feline leukemia?

That’s what I was thinking.

Take it to the Vet.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Could be a lot of things. Take it to the vet.

Until then, see if you can get it to eat a jar of baby food and soften some butter up in the microwave,...see if it'll eat that.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Last of wife's two cats she's had for about 11 - 12 years died last week. It was a good bit older than your cat but it's symptoms sound the same. Took around a month beginning to end for it to die. Didn't act like it was in any pain at all nor any sensitive to the touch areas. Just started barely eating, acting puny, got skinnier and skinnier and punier and punier then finally just quit breathing. It would drink a little water every so often though.

Tried several different special commercial cat foods plus chicken pureed human baby food and real canned mackerel, tuna and sardines canned in water. Still wouldn't do more that take a few licks of the liquid and none of the solid food. Best guess most likely age and/or internal organ/organs shutting down with her cat.

Her other cat that died last year was a little older and a good bit bigger and fatter, was acting normal as always, went to sleep one night and didn't wake up the next morning.. No prior symptoms whatsoever.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Can't help you as I am not a cat fan. Many junkyard cats succumbed to a Smith M28-2... That said, my wife is. We are just back after near three months at our place in north Idaho with two brother cats left in stow that a neighbor takes care of here in Boerne. One just hangs inside, the other outside. Today was the first time we saw the outsider since we have been back.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My cat did that. She was old though.....18.
Got the call while in deer stand, the ol lady said it'll be 600 bucks to fix her up.
Got home from deer hunting..........no cat.
Nope they kept her overnight, will cost a little more for that, she said.

Then more tests and overnights.

End result, dead cat, cancer, a month later for $1800.

I paid half.
Still pisses me off how the vet drew it out.
18 yr old cat, shoulda been up front w the ol lady about what was what.

IMHO a cat has a $200 vet bill limit, if it's the best friggin cat in the world.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not a cat person, but someone dropped off cat at our garage sale a few years ago. Coolest cat ever, used to ride around on my shoulders when I worked outside. Followed me everywhere, just a cool personality. Outdoor cat. Called him boy cat. Then the neighbors moved and abandoned their cat, which we found starving under their house. Now two outdoor cats. Ticks were a big problem out there. Then the skunks, possums, and coons found their cat food on the back porch. Dog got into them all, vet bills, messes, drama. Cats had to go. Now one indoor cat and he has a weird personality.

I think I'd rather spend $1000 on a bad dog than a good cat. I don't get cats really. YMMV.

LOL
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Same thing happened to my first cat. Turned out to be kidney disease, which was treatable with daily IV fluids and some drugs (which we were happy to do to keep the cat healthy). She lived for another 7 years with treatment.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Several years ago, my wife's best friend was dying of lymphoma. Her deathbed wish was that we would take care of her somewhat neurotic, eleven or twelve year old cat. We promised we would. I figured it likely wouldn't be for too long anyway. Damn cat is now 16 or 17 years old with no apparent health issues. Most of her food seems to be coverted into fur which she then sheds around the house. Birdwatcher's post gives me hope. GD

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
First off, cats have always been sorta disposable around my household, in the last 20 years at least ten have come and gone, only one expiring from anything resembling old age. Most just weren’t around one morning.

When my marriage fell apart I was left here with three dogs and two cats. Two healers have since expired of old age, and one cat prob’ly died of internal injuries inflicted by the surviving heeler.

This last cat my ex left here as a tiny four week old kitten. I Hand- raised it the first couple of weeks. Five years old now, waits for me in the driveway to get home, follows me everywhere, It’s been dropping weight lately, becoming lethargic this past week, first time ever this evening it didn’t try to jump into my lap on the front porch, just lay at my feet.

I even went out and bought $2 a meal gourmet cat food today, it only ate a little. I’m guessing one of those cat viruses. My sense of it is the cat is on the way out, five years old, a pity. Ain’t gonna replace it, really, another vestige of my formerly married state passing on.

The one dog remaining will be happy, she has to go out back when I let the cat in. If the cat croaks she’ll get to hang with me out front in the evenings. That dog is seven this year, prob’ly be around for a while.

Sorry, don't see the problem.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I usually take my pets to the vet..........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Western Medicine has come a long way Birdie.

You need not light a candle for ole Catburg just yet.......

He would have to seek care for it, and it don't sound likely that's gonna happen. Shame, too, cause that cat sounds like it really like him, which seems unusual in cats...
Oh well, I'm a dog person anyhow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last cat I owned was torn apart by 4 feral dogs that dug thier way into my yard. I wasn't fast enough to save her, but shot all 4 of her attackers.
I'd have to figure out the dates, but it's been probably 25 years since, and I still miss that cat.
I would suggest a trip to the vet, sir.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our cat showed up here 10 years ago already grown and castrated. He has to be 12 or more. In all that time, we've only had to take him to the vet once. He's very friendly and has been a great pet. He looks good now but he could go any time. He was an outdoor cat for years but then he discovered the dog door and evolved into an indoor cat almost instantly.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Life always brings to us more than we can handle. Its like no one care until we finally fall apart.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, if you give a damn take it to the vet and get an estimate at least.

Current cat arrived very ill and starving--castrated male. Our vermin killing 100# of male dog adopted him. Antibiotics & recovered. He then learned accounting and helps Carol with her checkbook AND kills chipmunks. What more can a guy ask for?

Defend the Constitution
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,079
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.