Home
Posted By: rockinbbar Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
The Western Channel has been running quite a few Audie Murphy movies lately.

Frankly, I just now discovering them. Of course I knew who Mr. Murphy was, and his deeds and decorations, I had just not taken the time to watch any of his movies before now.

They are much better than 99% of the crap Hollywood comes out with nowadays, so I enjoy them much!

If anyone else is an Audie Murphy fan, check the Western Channel before they go away...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
Thanks Barry, I am a fan of Mister Murphy, not just the actor, more so the patriot, and hero.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
Been a fan since I was a kid.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
His 1954 film Destry was always one of my favorites.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
When he gets off that stagecoach holding a parasol and a birdcage! grin
I forget the female lead's name, but I remember she was in Jubal and a couple other westerns. Gorgeous lady, much better than Marlene Dietrich.
I've got To Hell And Back on DVD and read the book twice. I've also got a biography called The Price Of Valor which covers his life from childhood to his death. His dad was a drunk and ran off, leaving the family destitute.
Murphy has been one of my heroes from the time I was old enough to understand what he had done.
7mm
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
I find it a shame that snow flakes will never know or understand what men like this did for out country.
I guess illegals fall into the same category. Hasbeen
Posted By: Rossimp Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
When visiting Arlington Cemetery his gravesite was one of the real necessities for me to see. He by far exemplifies the heart and soul of what an American is. I felt no such feelings for JFK and RFK gravesites. Those two couldn’t tie Audie Murphy’s shoes let alone stand in them.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
Been a fan for many years.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
He was a true American Hero. I think he said he liked making movies but he couldn't act. I think he acted fine but at the time he was making movies I don't think the industry was capable of filming well enough to do acting any justice.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
Originally Posted by rainshot
He was a true American Hero. I think he said he liked making movies but he couldn't act. I think he acted fine but at the time he was making movies I don't think the industry was capable of filming well enough to do acting any justice.

I don't think he was a great actor either.

He didn't have to "act".. He was the real deal.

Have noticed that in some movie scenes when he's shooting a bad guy, they zoom in on his face to show the determination and expression on his face as he shoots the enemy...

I doubt that was "acting" either. wink
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I forget the female lead's name, but I remember she was in Jubal and a couple other westerns. Gorgeous lady, much better than Marlene Dietrich.
I've got To Hell And Back on DVD and read the book twice. I've also got a biography called The Price Of Valor which covers his life from childhood to his death. His dad was a drunk and ran off, leaving the family destitute.
Murphy has been one of my heroes from the time I was old enough to understand what he had done.
7mm

Hate to disagree, but Marlene Dietrich was heads and shoulders above Mari Blanchard, the lady of who you speak of, as far as acting ability. Not even close in that department, although she was better looking.

The 1954 movie Destry doesn't even compare to the original 1939 Destry Rides Again, but then again, Audie Murphy was no James Stewart.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
Originally Posted by Rossimp
When visiting Arlington Cemetery his gravesite was one of the real necessities for me to see. He by far exemplifies the heart and soul of what an American is. I felt no such feelings for JFK and RFK gravesites. Those two couldn’t tie Audie Murphy’s shoes let alone stand in them.

Most here know how I feel about dimocraps, but I think JFK died trying to save this country from the deep state cabal and its C_A enforcer and Robert died from being his would be accomplice in trying to take down the cabals illegal golden goose we know as the Fed. He also kept the Soviet nukes off our porch.

He was surrounded by and overcome by the same low life murderous scum Trump is fighting this very moment for his and our survival as a nation.

I think no one can do more than give their life for their country.

Audie did certainly offer his.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by rainshot

I don't think he was a great actor either.

He didn't have to "act".. He was the real deal.

Have noticed that in some movie scenes when he's shooting a bad guy, they zoom in on his face to show the determination and expression on his face as he shoots the enemy...

I doubt that was "acting" either. wink

As far as acting ability, Murphy was not that good. If I made a list of my favorite Western actors, Audie Murphy wouldn't make the top 25. I'll watch a Murphy Western if there is nothing else on, and I'll admit to having watched just about all of them.

As far as Audie Murphy the war hero, that's a different matter, and I don't like to compare the two. He got an acting contract because of what he did in WW2, and that's fair enough, as perhaps he should have. But, I cringe when I hear people call him a great actor, because I don't see it.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
Not trying to stir any pot and respect your feelings regarding JFK and RFK. My opinion and only my opinion is perhaps both lost their lives as not for serving the country but for payback for their father’s criminal enterprises and the particular folks he ran with and made deals with. Not to mention JFK’s problem with prescription drugs and personal doctors needed for injections as well as his reckless affairs. Back then all us regular folks never got real story through news outlets, today the lid would be blown off.
I was not a Kennedy fan, and that was mostly because of Robert and the Chappaquiddick Killer, Teddy. I very well remember the 1960 election, and the problem that a lot of Southern Democrats had with voting for a Boston Catholic. But as far as presidents go, JFK was not all that bad of one.

Also, I think his WW2 record and the story that followed was a good one. We must also never forget that the oldest Kennedy brother lost his life in the war.
Posted By: poboy Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
Growing up, we had the Audie Murphy Rodeo Arena. Right next to Brown's Lake, where anybody could
fish anytime. It's all under the concrete and asphalt of the "New High School" now.
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
Originally Posted by Rossimp
today the lid would be blown off.

Only if Trump did it. Any Democrat would be safe and protected by the media.
Originally Posted by poboy
Growing up, we had the Audie Murphy Rodeo Arena. Right next to Brown's Lake, where anybody could
fish anytime. It's all under the concrete and asphalt of the "New High School" now.

I think a lot of our values as a country have been paved over by the public school system.

We ought to bring back the rodeos and lakes, and home school our kids.
Originally Posted by poboy

I think a lot of our values as a country have been paved over by the public school system.

We ought to bring back the rodeos and lakes, and home school our kids.

Yes, but it will never happen, at least not in the numbers it should. We, who have conservative values, have stood by and watched it disappear, and for the most part, done nothing to stop it.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19

One of Audie Murphy's best performances in my opinion was in the early '60s movie, The Unforgiven, starring Burt Lancaster and Audrey Hepburn.

His was a supporting role as the hothead, not always good, brother of Lancaster and Hepburn, who. unknown to her, was really no blood kin but an Indian foundling taken in and raised as one of their family.

(Full Movie)

Posted By: lastround Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
JFK was a democrat in a time when the Democratic Party and ideals were far, far different than they are today. I just hope that the general populace wakes up to that fact before it’s too late.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
Originally Posted by lastround
JFK was a democrat in a time when the Democratic Party and ideals were far, far different than they are today. I just hope that the general populace wakes up to that fact before it’s too late.

My Mom and Dad were a couple serious Democrats, but they were not Liberal. They were more Conservative than most today.
Audie was from Kingston, Tx in Hunt county. We have a museum "https://cottonmuseum.com/" in Greenville, Texas, that is called by all, The Audie Murphy museum.
Posted By: montanabadger Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
7mm

I believe that actress's name would be Valerie French
Posted By: fubarguy Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
are those major insignia on his epaulets?
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
I liked all of Audie Murphy's movies. They were made without dropping the F-bomb and saying Mutha-F**ker every other sentence like Samuel L. Jackson does in every movie he appears in. A simpler time with much different moral standards. Murphy earned everything he had given to him after the war. He defined the word HERO.
Originally Posted by fubarguy

He was a major in the Texas National Guard after the war.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19

During WW2 he was battlefield commissioned 1st Lt. in the regular U.S. Army Infantry due to his bravery and leadership.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
Originally Posted by joken2

One of Audie Murphy's best performances in my opinion was in the early '60s movie, The Unforgiven, starring Burt Lancaster and Audrey Hepburn.

His was a supporting role as the hothead, not always good, brother of Lancaster and Hepburn, who. unknown to her, was really no blood kin but an Indian foundling taken in and raised as one of their family. ...

I agree. Murphy was very good in The Unforgiven.

L.W.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
1960 Unforgiven was one of the best.
Posted By: ElkSlayer91 Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
Not many Audie's left in this world.
Posted By: DMc Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
Oddly his name came up in a conversation with my Grandchildren. Grand daughter said she has a new classmate named Audie, (female), which started the ball rolling. Now they know who Audie Murphy is!!!
Posted By: ElkSlayer91 Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
GriTV plays many of the old westerns with Audie in them.

Sierra was just on yesterday, and I believe that is one of his best. The scenery is beautiful as well as the story line.

Remember, actors are limited as to how good the writer can write a good script.

Every good actor has their unique body language, and I believe Audie had a "VERY" unique body language that added to his acting, just like John Wayne had his unique body language.

It is very unfortunate his life was cut short in the plane crash, where he was headed to meet to make a deal to resurrect his carrier.

May this TEXAN'S heroric life, memory, and honor, live forever.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
Been to his gravesite on several occasions. Matter of fact one of those flags I put there!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Audie_Murphy_grave_-_Arlington_National_Cemetery_-_2011 by .com/photos/61286670@N08/]Sharps Man, on [bleep]
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19
The Western Channel has been running quite a few Audie Murphy movies lately.

Frankly, I just now discovering them. Of course I knew who Mr. Murphy was, and his deeds and decorations, I had just not taken the time to watch any of his movies before now.

They are much better than 99% of the crap Hollywood comes out with nowadays, so I enjoy them much!

If anyone else is an Audie Murphy fan, check the Western Channel before they go away...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thanks for posting . . . more comments on Audie here . . . https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13863961/1
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Audie Murphy - 09/15/19

He got into the Army by way of the TX NG. He was too short to enlist in the active duty branches. The TX NG was federalized during WWII and the rest is history.
© 24hourcampfire