Home
The gluten free thread is sorta buried. Wife tells me she accepted a dinner invite and said not tell the host I cannot eat gluten because she thought it impolite. What to do? Eat first, then nibble, commit to whatever and pay consequences next day? Wife is also wondering about our own meals. She is not open to quitting her spaghetti, pizza, and all, 2 of us so it makes preparing 2 meals. She will not try cauliflower crust, or anything like that either maybe I will have to die on her
Related: doc wants me to see his dietitian, get the message my insurance won't pay. Investigated and it is a lie, just checked dietician won't accept mine. Did offer special rate of only 90 bucks per visit though. 8ns gave me a list of others but 80% seem to be into aroma therapy and fad diets. Cant call until Monday
Is there a question in there somewhere or just an FYI?

Eat the salad.
Stay home and get drunk.
Tell the host, it's your health after all.
Eat the veg's, salad, meat/fish, etc. Just stay away from pasta and bread. I know it seems untrue but some meat will have gluten added. Are you gluten sensitive or gluten intolerant. Sensitive can probably deal with small amounts. If you have been eating "gluten free" bread, etc then I expect you are gluten sensitive. It was originally wheat, barely, rye etc then there are small amounts of gluten. Like other things our government says the rules for gluten free are simply gluten under a certain percent. Think of alcohol free beer. Still has small amounts. True gluten intolerant, will even feel the effects of "gluten free" items.
Leave the pistol, take the cannoli.

The wife is gluten intolerant and we do boil two kinds of pasta and order two kinds of pizza. We do tell dinner hosts that she can't eat gluten and we've never had anyone bat an eye. Nobody has ever acted like we were being demanding or impolite.

I agree with your wife about cauliflower crust. Why should I suffer just because my wife has a genetic defect?
I'm probably the worst dinner guest imaginable...I not only have religious dietary restrictions, I won't eat a few things that I just don't like (mayo, sour cream, pretty much anything creamy). I don't expect my hosts to deal with my food choices, I simply eat what I can, politely explain why I can't eat other things if asked and enjoy the hospitality. There are always things to eat, no matter how extreme the diet. For example, I can't eat any meat product that has dairy in it...that pretty much ruins most entrees. Can't eat shellfish or pork either. I'd be a rude MFer if I expected anyone outside of the religious community to deal with this kind of problem.
Tell her to have a good time.
Have a quick meal before you go, then eat what you can. AFA sticking to veggies and meat, unfortunately some salad dressings and many sauce recipes have gluten in them, usually as some sort of thickener. So you still might get hit.

OTOH, I’ve cooked dinner for people with egg allergies, vegetarian/vegan or gluten. If they tell me far enough ahead so I can do a little research and planning, I can usually come up with one or two dishes that fit their diet, and just let that augment the rest of the meal I’ve planned.

Frankly, I take it as a challenge and enjoy finding ways to work this stuff out.

Having said that, I do this for close friends. I’m not interested in accommodating whoever’s fad diet of the week. Unfortunately, that’s what gluten has turned into, an easy way for some snowflake to get attention. Not saying that’s what you’re doing, but that’s the challenge you have.
My wife and I are NOT gluten sensitive but she tells me that the cauliflower crust is very good and you’d never know that it was cauliflower.

If you’re determined to go I wouldn’t make your needs incumbent upon your host, I’d bring your own meal and politely let the host know why.

Good luck.
Just eat it, what's the worst that could happen?
I’m still lost with this gluten thing.

Was it around 30 years ago and just nobody spoke of it?
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
My wife and I are NOT gluten sensitive but she tells me that the cauliflower crust is very good and you’d never know that it was cauliflower.

No, cauliflower crust is not "very good" and you will definitely know the difference. Voice of experience here. Wifey is on keto diet.
Celiac disease. New diagnosis by biopsy. Just dropped it on me last week so I am still finding my way. It does explain some things like not being able to drink a beer without getting sick and always feeling full but ut hungry. The fad diet crap gets in the way of those with actual problems and is a disservice to us
Thanks
A whole helluva lot of times in a life span....I've come to the conclusion that it would have been best to just be a friggin HERMIT!!
Maybe you should just be honest with them.
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
A whole helluva lot of times in a life span....I've come to the conclusion that it would have been best to just be a friggin HERMIT!!

I wouldn't eat with anyone I could not just talk to. Lol
Originally Posted by kennyd
Celiac disease. New diagnosis by biopsy. Just dropped it on me last week so I am still finding my way. It does explain some things like not being able to drink a beer without getting sick and always feeling full but ut hungry. The fad diet crap gets in the way of those with actual problems and is a disservice to us
Thanks

How so?

You should definitely stay home.

Thanks

If you've got Celiac, then tell them.
I was informed two weeks ago I'm a type II diabetic. I'm on Metformin to cut the blood sugar level down. I've cut out pasta, pizza, white bread, beer cry , potatoes, and rice. I've been eating eggs, some kind of breakfast meat, and plain oatmeal with almond milk for breakfast, meat and cheese for lunch, and meat, salad and vegies for supper. I can appreciate what others have go through to be social at a table.
For you wonderers. Celiac is an autoimmune disease triggered by gluten, kills the small intestines ability to work. Used to be they didnt know why, just that people didnt thrive and died. The Greeks knew some about it,
There is no cure unless they can find a gene to splice someday. I have no idea, except stress, what triggered it in me at age 71
So the diet I am being forced into is not like the people who avoid sugar, meat, fat and all because they think it is a good ideal: but we get lumped in with them
Sorry to hear Ken. Looks like your not getting much support at home, nor here either for that matter. Were it me, I'd start preparing my own meals and if you happened to make some thing your wife really likes, don't share. laugh
If I had a diet problem, an allergy or the like, I would provide for myself. Nothing is more off putting than having folks over that can’t/won’t eat what I fix. Frankly, most anyone I invite, I already know if they have issues though. Many people use a supposed food issue as a means to control others.
Stay home
Smoke a doobie
Have a mountain dew
Eat some cheetos
Watch star trek.
Kenny, people with genuine diagnosed dietary issues should always advise a host or hostess about it. Those who claim such an issue because it's the "in" thing should be ignored and told to STFU. The problem is knowing the difference, of course.

Genuine celiac is a booger to deal with. Like with any other allergy, there are so many foods with hidden trigger foods in them that you almost risk your life dining out. Foods can contain nuts, eggs, shellfish, gluten, milk and more without us even realizing it.
For you wonderers. Celiac is an autoimmune disease triggered by gluten, kills the small intestines ability to work. Used to be they didnt know why, just that people didnt thrive and died. The Greeks knew some about it,
There is no cure unless they can find a gene to splice someday. I have no idea, except stress, what triggered it in me at age 71
So the diet I am being forced into is not like the people who avoid sugar, meat, fat and all because they think it is a good ideal: but we get lumped in with them

Aren't the foods you avoid for religious reasons something you do just because you "think it's a good idea".

Sorry but I just can't see how someone else deciding to go on a diet or not eat certain foods effects you one way or the other.
Tellum,..."Got this thing going on that won't let me eat gluten products".

People will say, "Oh",...then go on back to whatever it is they're talking about.

It's not an issue. Go to the dinner party,..eat what you can,..leave the rest.

Nobody's going to think anything about it.
don't forget to indulge the dinner guests with all the gory details of your intestinal problems while they're scarfing down and you pick at your watercress. extra points for doing it in a snit.
Originally Posted by Steve

If I was the host and a guest didn't tell me about dietary restrictions I'd be pissed. The role of a host is to serve and please the guest, not make the guest sick or leave him wanting. To the OP do what would you expect of your host if the situation was reversed - Miss Manners. Or maybe Emily Post

FWIW, my grandpa was misdiagnosed with Celiac at about 80. Even after removing all gluten he was still having issues. Was just him getting old.
Originally Posted by nighthawk

If I was the host and a guest didn't tell me about dietary restrictions I'd be pissed. The role of a host is to serve and please the guest, not make the guest sick or leave him wanting. To the OP do what would you expect of your host if the situation was reversed - Miss Manners. Or maybe Emily Post

I agree. If you know in advance you can work around it, and prepare something everyone can enjoy. It isn't that hard to put something together to meet a restriction like coeliac.

If the guest doesn't tell you, but turns up and then doesn't eat the things you've put in front of them, even if it is for good medical reasons, that is apt to have you feeling a bit put out. It would be downright insulting if they did what one poster suggested, and brought their own food to eat instead of what you put on for them.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Tell the host YOU HAVE A STOMACH VIRUS AND DONT WANT TO PUKE ON HER CARPET.
FIXT
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Just eat it, what's the worst that could happen?

Hahahaha, azzwhole. wink

But he does need to make a cauliflower crust pie.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Stay home and get drunk.

This the answer too so many questions that arise on here.
Thank you Jim. You're the voice of reason amidst the chaos.
Originally Posted by Morewood
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

No, cauliflower crust is not "very good" and you will definitely know the difference. Voice of experience here. Wifey is on keto diet.

Lol

I tried that chit here with the house lady. Tasted like muddy sea weed jerky
OP, it's your issue to deal with. Why should someone hosting a party have to adjust their menu to suit your special needs? Eat before you go, eat whatever you can at their party, don't eat at all. Quit acting like a bitch.
JFC....I grow more and more embarrassed with each passing day to be white and heterosexual.
Peeps are gluten free

Just take a pack of those. Break em out.

Hint- use the salad fork

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Celiac is real.
I know a lady that, 30+ years ago had been "sickly" her whole life.
She gradually grew weaker and ended up in a teaching hospital in Pittsburgh.
She was emaceated, and near death, when a student took extra interest. Through
research he determined she had Celiac's Disease, and the high carb diet they thought
should help her, was instead killing her. A couple days of vegetables and plain meat,
And she was suddenly improving.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
OP, it's your issue to deal with. Why should someone hosting a party have to adjust their menu to suit your special needs? Eat before you go, eat whatever you can at their party, don't eat at all. Quit acting like a bitch.
JFC....I grow more and more embarrassed with each passing day to be white and heterosexual.

Well, I hope you arent thinking of switching like Gayghost, are you? frown wink
Everyone that i know already have a good idea that i might not eat whatever they fix.

Last August after my surgery on the stomach,i can't eat a lot of anything and just some of the things that i ate in the past.

It sucks but it is the new normal for me,thing is they don't mind.
Tell them gluten causes you to have spastic colon and embarrassing anal itch.

Agreed. Hosting is not slopping the hogs, hosting is being hospitable and making guests feel welcome.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I realized I’m gluten intolerant when I went low carb. Had been dealing with “intestinal irregularities” for a couple of decades, and was tested for Celiac. Negative. I can eat a few bites of bread, but any quantity and I’m doing the penguin walk to the crapper at some point the next day.

I suspect it’s hereditary, as my 91 year old mother has been getting increasingly significant symptoms over the years. But, am I going to tell her to change everything about her diet? Not at that age....

30 years ago it was a rare person that could even conceive that bread wasn’t the foundation of our diet or harmful in any way.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Suggest that you check wheat of 50 years ago and wheat today ; hardly the same grain in fact the wheat of today has several items in it that did not exist in the wheat of 50 years ago. Yes the gluten now days is much higher than years ago. Cheers NC
What items are those?
The gluten free thread is sorta buried. Wife tells me she accepted a dinner invite and said not tell the host I cannot eat gluten because she thought it impolite. What to do? Eat first, then nibble, commit to whatever and pay consequences next day? Wife is also wondering about our own meals. She is not open to quitting her spaghetti, pizza, and all, 2 of us so it makes preparing 2 meals. She will not try cauliflower crust, or anything like that either maybe I will have to die on her
Related: doc wants me to see his dietitian, get the message my insurance won't pay. Investigated and it is a lie, just checked dietician won't accept mine. Did offer special rate of only 90 bucks per visit though. 8ns gave me a list of others but 80% seem to be into aroma therapy and fad diets. Cant call until Monday

1. Sounds like you married a real sweetheart.
2. Don't push your diet problems on somebody else.

That is all
What items are those?

Cooties maybe?
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
What items are those?

Cooties maybe?

I was against the addition of cooties to wheat from the very beginning.
Bacon. Now that would be a good addition.
Oh God, now it's the Jewish farmers out to kill us.... At least the Jewish bankers will get left alone for a little while?
Originally Posted by dan_oz

I agree. If you know in advance you can work around it, and prepare something everyone can enjoy. It isn't that hard to put something together to meet a restriction like coeliac.

If the guest doesn't tell you, but turns up and then doesn't eat the things you've put in front of them, even if it is for good medical reasons, that is apt to have you feeling a bit put out. It would be downright insulting if they did what one poster suggested, and brought their own food to eat instead of what you put on for them.

Agreed.
Originally Posted by Remsen
I'm probably the worst dinner guest imaginable...I not only have religious dietary restrictions, I won't eat a few things that I just don't like (mayo, sour cream, pretty much anything creamy). I don't expect my hosts to deal with my food choices, I simply eat what I can, politely explain why I can't eat other things if asked and enjoy the hospitality. There are always things to eat, no matter how extreme the diet. For example, I can't eat any meat product that has dairy in it...that pretty much ruins most entrees. Can't eat shellfish or pork either. I'd be a rude MFer if I expected anyone outside of the religious community to deal with this kind of problem.

i have had multiple friends through the years, to the orthodox. frankly, most of THEIR food choices are perfectly acceptable to me. One good friend said he thought there was a member of the tribe in my background. He died before i could tell him researching the family tree i found some in germany in the 1700's.
then the sister's european side of the family, half sister. Most had a date in summer 1944 with a little place called auschwitz.
When we entertain it’s about having fun with people we like. Any of our close friends we know about any dietary issues they have. People we don’t know that well we ask. It’s no big deal to fix something that works for everyone unless you’re a one-trick-pony.

My wife has a gluten problem. We had an awful time before figuring it out. I don’t mind working around it. That girl treats me like a king. I’m not so small and I don’t have so little joy in life that eating stuff at home that makes her life easier is a big deal.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Peeps are gluten free

Just take a pack of those. Break em out.

Hint- use the salad fork

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

OT. Help me out here Slum, which is the salad fork, the one with short tines or long tines?
© 24hourcampfire