Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Celiac is real.
I know a lady that, 30+ years ago had been "sickly" her whole life.
She gradually grew weaker and ended up in a teaching hospital in Pittsburgh.
She was emaceated, and near death, when a student took extra interest. Through
research he determined she had Celiac's Disease, and the high carb diet they thought
should help her, was instead killing her. A couple days of vegetables and plain meat,
And she was suddenly improving.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by jackmountain
OP, it's your issue to deal with. Why should someone hosting a party have to adjust their menu to suit your special needs? Eat before you go, eat whatever you can at their party, don't eat at all. Quit acting like a bitch.
JFC....I grow more and more embarrassed with each passing day to be white and heterosexual.

Well, I hope you arent thinking of switching like Gayghost, are you? frown wink

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/15/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Everyone that i know already have a good idea that i might not eat whatever they fix.

Last August after my surgery on the stomach,i can't eat a lot of anything and just some of the things that i ate in the past.

It sucks but it is the new normal for me,thing is they don't mind.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Tell them gluten causes you to have spastic colon and embarrassing anal itch.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by Steve
If you've got Celiac, then tell them.

If I was the host and a guest didn't tell me about dietary restrictions I'd be pissed. The role of a host is to serve and please the guest, not make the guest sick or leave him wanting. To the OP do what would you expect of your host if the situation was reversed - Miss Manners. Or maybe Emily Post

Agreed. Hosting is not slopping the hogs, hosting is being hospitable and making guests feel welcome.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I’m still lost with this gluten thing.

Was it around 30 years ago and just nobody spoke of it?

I realized I’m gluten intolerant when I went low carb. Had been dealing with “intestinal irregularities” for a couple of decades, and was tested for Celiac. Negative. I can eat a few bites of bread, but any quantity and I’m doing the penguin walk to the crapper at some point the next day.

I suspect it’s hereditary, as my 91 year old mother has been getting increasingly significant symptoms over the years. But, am I going to tell her to change everything about her diet? Not at that age....

30 years ago it was a rare person that could even conceive that bread wasn’t the foundation of our diet or harmful in any way.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I’m still lost with this gluten thing.

Was it around 30 years ago and just nobody spoke of it?

Suggest that you check wheat of 50 years ago and wheat today ; hardly the same grain in fact the wheat of today has several items in it that did not exist in the wheat of 50 years ago. Yes the gluten now days is much higher than years ago. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
What items are those?

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kennyd
The gluten free thread is sorta buried. Wife tells me she accepted a dinner invite and said not tell the host I cannot eat gluten because she thought it impolite. What to do? Eat first, then nibble, commit to whatever and pay consequences next day? Wife is also wondering about our own meals. She is not open to quitting her spaghetti, pizza, and all, 2 of us so it makes preparing 2 meals. She will not try cauliflower crust, or anything like that either maybe I will have to die on her
Related: doc wants me to see his dietitian, get the message my insurance won't pay. Investigated and it is a lie, just checked dietician won't accept mine. Did offer special rate of only 90 bucks per visit though. 8ns gave me a list of others but 80% seem to be into aroma therapy and fad diets. Cant call until Monday

1. Sounds like you married a real sweetheart.
2. Don't push your diet problems on somebody else.

That is all

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
What items are those?

Cooties maybe?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
What items are those?

Cooties maybe?

I was against the addition of cooties to wheat from the very beginning.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Bacon. Now that would be a good addition.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh God, now it's the Jewish farmers out to kill us.... At least the Jewish bankers will get left alone for a little while?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by Steve
If you've got Celiac, then tell them.

If I was the host and a guest didn't tell me about dietary restrictions I'd be pissed. The role of a host is to serve and please the guest, not make the guest sick or leave him wanting. To the OP do what would you expect of your host if the situation was reversed - Miss Manners. Or maybe Emily Post

I agree. If you know in advance you can work around it, and prepare something everyone can enjoy. It isn't that hard to put something together to meet a restriction like coeliac.

If the guest doesn't tell you, but turns up and then doesn't eat the things you've put in front of them, even if it is for good medical reasons, that is apt to have you feeling a bit put out. It would be downright insulting if they did what one poster suggested, and brought their own food to eat instead of what you put on for them.

Agreed.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Remsen
I'm probably the worst dinner guest imaginable...I not only have religious dietary restrictions, I won't eat a few things that I just don't like (mayo, sour cream, pretty much anything creamy). I don't expect my hosts to deal with my food choices, I simply eat what I can, politely explain why I can't eat other things if asked and enjoy the hospitality. There are always things to eat, no matter how extreme the diet. For example, I can't eat any meat product that has dairy in it...that pretty much ruins most entrees. Can't eat shellfish or pork either. I'd be a rude MFer if I expected anyone outside of the religious community to deal with this kind of problem.

i have had multiple friends through the years, to the orthodox. frankly, most of THEIR food choices are perfectly acceptable to me. One good friend said he thought there was a member of the tribe in my background. He died before i could tell him researching the family tree i found some in germany in the 1700's.
then the sister's european side of the family, half sister. Most had a date in summer 1944 with a little place called auschwitz.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
When we entertain it’s about having fun with people we like. Any of our close friends we know about any dietary issues they have. People we don’t know that well we ask. It’s no big deal to fix something that works for everyone unless you’re a one-trick-pony.

My wife has a gluten problem. We had an awful time before figuring it out. I don’t mind working around it. That girl treats me like a king. I’m not so small and I don’t have so little joy in life that eating stuff at home that makes her life easier is a big deal.

Mathew 22: 37-39

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by slumlord
Peeps are gluten free

Just take a pack of those. Break em out.

Hint- use the salad fork

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

OT. Help me out here Slum, which is the salad fork, the one with short tines or long tines?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 673, 2500HD, 9 invisible), 989 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,091
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.