Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
kennyd Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
The gluten free thread is sorta buried. Wife tells me she accepted a dinner invite and said not tell the host I cannot eat gluten because she thought it impolite. What to do? Eat first, then nibble, commit to whatever and pay consequences next day? Wife is also wondering about our own meals. She is not open to quitting her spaghetti, pizza, and all, 2 of us so it makes preparing 2 meals. She will not try cauliflower crust, or anything like that either maybe I will have to die on her
Related: doc wants me to see his dietitian, get the message my insurance won't pay. Investigated and it is a lie, just checked dietician won't accept mine. Did offer special rate of only 90 bucks per visit though. 8ns gave me a list of others but 80% seem to be into aroma therapy and fad diets. Cant call until Monday

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is there a question in there somewhere or just an FYI?

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Eat the salad.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Stay home and get drunk.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Tell the host, it's your health after all.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Eat the veg's, salad, meat/fish, etc. Just stay away from pasta and bread. I know it seems untrue but some meat will have gluten added. Are you gluten sensitive or gluten intolerant. Sensitive can probably deal with small amounts. If you have been eating "gluten free" bread, etc then I expect you are gluten sensitive. It was originally wheat, barely, rye etc then there are small amounts of gluten. Like other things our government says the rules for gluten free are simply gluten under a certain percent. Think of alcohol free beer. Still has small amounts. True gluten intolerant, will even feel the effects of "gluten free" items.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leave the pistol, take the cannoli.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

The wife is gluten intolerant and we do boil two kinds of pasta and order two kinds of pizza. We do tell dinner hosts that she can't eat gluten and we've never had anyone bat an eye. Nobody has ever acted like we were being demanding or impolite.

I agree with your wife about cauliflower crust. Why should I suffer just because my wife has a genetic defect?

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm probably the worst dinner guest imaginable...I not only have religious dietary restrictions, I won't eat a few things that I just don't like (mayo, sour cream, pretty much anything creamy). I don't expect my hosts to deal with my food choices, I simply eat what I can, politely explain why I can't eat other things if asked and enjoy the hospitality. There are always things to eat, no matter how extreme the diet. For example, I can't eat any meat product that has dairy in it...that pretty much ruins most entrees. Can't eat shellfish or pork either. I'd be a rude MFer if I expected anyone outside of the religious community to deal with this kind of problem.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tell her to have a good time.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Have a quick meal before you go, then eat what you can. AFA sticking to veggies and meat, unfortunately some salad dressings and many sauce recipes have gluten in them, usually as some sort of thickener. So you still might get hit.

OTOH, I’ve cooked dinner for people with egg allergies, vegetarian/vegan or gluten. If they tell me far enough ahead so I can do a little research and planning, I can usually come up with one or two dishes that fit their diet, and just let that augment the rest of the meal I’ve planned.

Frankly, I take it as a challenge and enjoy finding ways to work this stuff out.

Having said that, I do this for close friends. I’m not interested in accommodating whoever’s fad diet of the week. Unfortunately, that’s what gluten has turned into, an easy way for some snowflake to get attention. Not saying that’s what you’re doing, but that’s the challenge you have.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My wife and I are NOT gluten sensitive but she tells me that the cauliflower crust is very good and you’d never know that it was cauliflower.

If you’re determined to go I wouldn’t make your needs incumbent upon your host, I’d bring your own meal and politely let the host know why.

Good luck.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Just eat it, what's the worst that could happen?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m still lost with this gluten thing.

Was it around 30 years ago and just nobody spoke of it?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
My wife and I are NOT gluten sensitive but she tells me that the cauliflower crust is very good and you’d never know that it was cauliflower.

No, cauliflower crust is not "very good" and you will definitely know the difference. Voice of experience here. Wifey is on keto diet.

K
kennyd Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Celiac disease. New diagnosis by biopsy. Just dropped it on me last week so I am still finding my way. It does explain some things like not being able to drink a beer without getting sick and always feeling full but ut hungry. The fad diet crap gets in the way of those with actual problems and is a disservice to us
Thanks

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A whole helluva lot of times in a life span....I've come to the conclusion that it would have been best to just be a friggin HERMIT!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Maybe you should just be honest with them.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
A whole helluva lot of times in a life span....I've come to the conclusion that it would have been best to just be a friggin HERMIT!!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I wouldn't eat with anyone I could not just talk to. Lol

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (3333vl, 44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.