Home
Posted By: hatari College football so far - 09/18/19
So far I can't see much other scenario than Clemson, Bama, OK, and probably UGA in the Final 4 again.

Clemson has zero competition in the ACC. FSU and Miami are down right now
Bama has the best talent
UGA has ND, then nobody beside UF and AU to play that will challenge them
OK will stomp the Big 12. Win games 52 - 34 every week.

LSU - not sure what to think. Is that Offense for real? We'll find out. If so, they are a Dark Horse to knock Bama or UGA out of the running.
Ohio State - maybe, but they will need to go undefeated and somebody on top of this list will need to falter. Bama, UGA, and LSU all will have played multiple top ranked opponents by the time they pick the Playoff teams. The SEC Championship will very likely have 2 teams in contention for that honor. Big Ten (can't count) doesn't have that.

Notre Dame - They need to go into Sanford Stadium this weekend and beat UGA. Do that, and I'm a believer. No way I see that happening

Auburn, Florida, Michigan - are pretenders right now. They haven't lost, but have weaknesses that the top teams will exploit. My Tigers are not dominant on the O-line and have a Freshman QB. Florida has a good Defense but lost their QB and just don't move the ball like the old Gators. Michigan won't beat Ohio State and I don't like Harbaugh. These three teams are going to end up the season in the 2nd Ten not the Top ten the way they look now.

Anybody see it differently?
My brother graduated from Ga. Tech. He is a big Tech fan.
He came over on Saturday to watch the game. And we watched The Citadel beat Tech. Whip their ass.
First time Citadel has ever beaten Tech.

So, all I know is, Ga. Tech is in for a long, long year.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: College football so far - 09/18/19
You're right Hatari. I don't even know why they play the games anymore
Posted By: Dre Re: College football so far - 09/18/19
Sounds about right for the top 4 teams you mentioned.
Just never know about college. That’s why I love college football.
Hoping my ducks make it to at least rose bowl
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: College football so far - 09/18/19
Florida may improve with a new q-back.
Hate to see anybody get hurt, but never was a Franks fan.

LSU may be a threat to a lot of teams.
Posted By: SKane Re: College football so far - 09/18/19
I like and agree with your top 4.
LSU is sure an intriguing watch - be interested to see how they evolve this year.

Michigan? Yeah, they'll begin their huge helping of reality this Saturday at 11AM.
Posted By: Bama_Rick Re: College football so far - 09/18/19
Bama's defense is depleted bad, but we have a defensive mastermind who knows a thing or 2 about overcoming adversity.

Clemson doesn't play anybody, so they really won't know where they stand come playoff time.

Oklahoma has the second best quarterback in the country who is gonna shine.

Georgia looks like they will maintain, and LSU is in it for real.

For all the haters, anybody else notice what Hatari's top 4 have in common?
Posted By: JGRaider Re: College football so far - 09/18/19
Can't find much to argue with in your analogy Jeff. I'm always amazed the talking heads and media try to cram ND and Texas down everyone's throats during pre-season. That clown Herbstreit picked Texas to go to final 4.......! I'd throw LSU in there if they were in the SEC East. Ohio State will always be in the running as well, and will stomp Michigan's asss again this year. Pac 10 sucks big time too, like the ACC.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: College football so far - 09/18/19
Originally Posted by hatari
So far I can't see much other scenario than Clemson, Bama, OK, and probably UGA in the Final 4 again.

Bama has the best talent

LSU - not sure what to think. Is that Offense for real? We'll find out. If so, they are a Dark Horse to knock Bama or UGA out of the running.
Ohio State - maybe, but they will need to go undefeated and somebody on top of this list will need to falter. Bama, UGA, and LSU all will have played multiple top ranked opponents by the time they pick the Playoff teams. The SEC Championship will very likely have 2 teams in contention for that honor. Big Ten (can't count) doesn't have that.

Notre Dame - They need to go into Sanford Stadium this weekend and beat UGA. Do that, and I'm a believer. No way I see that happening

Auburn, Florida, Michigan - are pretenders right now. They haven't lost, but have weaknesses that the top teams will exploit. My Tigers are not dominant on the O-line and have a Freshman QB. Florida has a good Defense but lost their QB and just don't move the ball like the old Gators. Michigan won't beat Ohio State and I don't like Harbaugh. These three teams are going to end up the season in the 2nd Ten not the Top ten the way they look now.

Disagree with your Dawg observations Tiger Boy!

😎
Posted By: hatari Re: College football so far - 09/18/19
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
He came over on Saturday to watch the game. And we watched The Citadel beat Tech. Whip their ass.

No Bueno down on the Flats this year. My FIL and my SIL both did their Master's there. FIL also went to the Citadel. He's amazed at the Citadel, and disapointed in GT.
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Bama has the best talent

Disagree with your Dawg observations Tiger Boy!

😎

What, you disagree that UGA isn't Final 4 material? Who's gonna beat them? UF? Tech??? Surely you don't see ND pulling the upset this weekend?
Posted By: natman Re: College football so far - 09/18/19
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I'm not sure I'd call a 27-24 loss in overtime an ass whipping, although it certainly was an upset.

There's no shame in losing to Clemson, a lot of teams are going to do that this year and they beat USF.

OTOH, Tech still has to play Temple, Virginia and Georgia, so they do have their work cut out for them.
Posted By: WAM Re: College football so far - 09/18/19
Bama has too many freshmen, but then, maybe not......

ROLL TIDE!
Problem I saw with Tech is that Citadel manned up on the line of scrimmaged with Tech. That should never happen.

Not like turnovers sunk Tech who otherwise dominated.

They’ll bounce back, but this looks like a tough year.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: College football so far - 09/18/19
Hoping this is the year Kirby figures out the 4th quarter against Alabama. Lol. Painful end to the last two seasons.

If they stay on point, they’ll be hard to stop.

It’s still early in the year. There will be one or two teams that surpass everyone’s expectations.
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: College football so far - 09/18/19
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
Bama's defense is depleted bad, but we have a defensive mastermind who knows a thing or 2 about overcoming adversity.

Clemson doesn't play anybody, so they really won't know where they stand come playoff time.

Oklahoma has the second best quarterback in the country who is gonna shine.

Georgia looks like they will maintain, and LSU is in it for real.

For all the haters, anybody else notice what Hatari's top 4 have in common?

The "second best" quarterback in the country will win the Heisman if he doesn't get hurt. If it wasn't for him Bama wouldn't have won the SEC championship last year.
I think LSU is for real, and they are the only top 5 team to have played a meaningful opponent this early in the season. Time will tell.
Posted By: DubThomas Re: College football so far - 09/18/19
Gig 'em Aggies! Whoop! laugh
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: College football so far - 09/18/19
Aggies already got gigged by the Tigers.
Posted By: RicG Re: College football so far - 09/18/19
Originally Posted by TBREW401

Time will tell.
Originally Posted by DubThomas

I'll be there!

Aggies have been very hospitable fans since joining the SEC. New Kyle Field is a great stadium to see a ball game.

... Michigan - are pretenders right now. They haven't lost, but have weaknesses that the top teams will exploit.

Sadly I agree with you on this.
Posted By: natman Re: College football so far - 09/18/19
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I think LSU is for real, and they are the only top 5 team to have played a meaningful opponent this early in the season. Time will tell.

The passing game has certainly improved by leaps and bounds. It just shows how hard it is to have everything at once; if they had this passing game and quarterback a few years ago when they had Leonard Fournette, he would have run for 3,000 yards a season and LSU would have scored 70 points a game.

As it is, they are going to be a force to be reckoned with. Looking forward to it.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: College football so far - 09/18/19
Originally Posted by TBREW401

Kentucky should have beaten Florida this past Saturday. Their coach got conservative and lost the game for them. I don't think the Gators are much this year, but with the new QB, who knows.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: College football so far - 09/18/19
A better question is: "What four, 1-loss, teams could make the final four?" For example, say LSU beats Alabama, and then plays Georgia in the SEC championship game and wins, leaving Georgia with one loss. Would Alabama be "voted" into the final four, over a 1-loss Georgia, just like in 2011, when they lost to LSU at home, but still got the do over, after ESPN hosted Nick Saben all day and night on their Network, pimping Alabama to get a do over against LSU.
Clemson and ACC comments are hilarious. They have only won 2 out of the last 3 NC's . It should be 3 in a row and I am far from a Clemson fan.
Posted By: natman Re: College football so far - 09/19/19
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Clemson and ACC comments are hilarious. They have only won 2 out of the last 3 NC's . It should be 3 in a row and I am far from a Clemson fan.

While that's true, a more accurate assessment is that Clemson and Alabama have met in the playoffs 4 times in the last 4 years and are both 2-2.

It should be very interesting to see what happens this year.
Originally Posted by DubThomas

I'll be there!

Aggies have been very hospitable fans since joining the SEC. New Kyle Field is a great stadium to see a ball game.

Amen!

And y’all haven’t truly seen rude fans until you’ve been an Aggie setting in the T-sips stadium in Austin.

Us Aggies are some of the nicest folks around. 🤠
Heading to Athens Saturday to watch us (hopefully) whip Notre Dame.

Agree with the OPs top 4. LSU is scary and ‘bama looks beatable, but I’ve learned thru the years (especially the last 2) to count them out at your own risk

If Oklahoma finds a defense they’ll be the team to beat. That offense is scary and their joke of a defense has been the only thing keeping them from being as dominant as ‘bama or clemson
Originally Posted by natman
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

While that's true, a more accurate assessment is that Clemson and Alabama have met in the playoffs 4 times in the last 4 years and are both 2-2.

It should be very interesting to see what happens this year.

Acc Is a JOke comment is what I was referring to.

Last years game was a blowout. Saban lost 6 Assistants after the game, Swinney lost none. CLemson is the best program in the land.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Can't find much to argue with in your analogy Jeff. I'm always amazed the talking heads and media try to cram ND and Texas down everyone's throats during pre-season. That clown Herbstreit picked Texas to go to final 4.......! I'd throw LSU in there if they were in the SEC East. Ohio State will always be in the running as well, and will stomp Michigan's asss again this year. Pac 10 sucks big time too, like the ACC.

Yep. Both Texas & ND were HIGHLY overrated in the polls this year as per usual.
I’m betting OU will stomp a mud hole in the Longhorns ass this year.
© 24hourcampfire