Home
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/sep/18/ted-nugent-says-new-michigan-hunting-rules-will-tr/

Ted Nugent took aim Tuesday at a new rule prohibiting baiting and feeding deer and elk in Michigan, insisting the ban will lead to “widespread civil disobedience” among fellow hunters.

Mr. Nugent, a Michigan-born rock guitarist and longtime board member of the National Rifle Association, testified in front of a state House committee in support of a bill that would overturn the recently enacted rule against baiting game.

“This is a Rosa Parks moment,” Mr. Nugent told reporters afterward, according to the Detroit Free Press. “The law is wrong, the law is bad, the law is illegal.”

Backed by both the Michigan state Department of Natural Resources and Natural Resources Commission, the rule banning hunters from feeding deer and elk is meant to lower the odds of the animals spreading certain diseases, according to its advocates.

“We believe the authority to ban baiting and feeding should remain with the Natural Resources Commission, the body responsible for regulating the method and manner of take of game in Michigan,” said DNR spokesperson Ed Golder. “In addition, peer-reviewed research has shown that baiting and feeding that concentrates animals beyond their normal movement patterns increases the likelihood of disease transmission.”

Mr. Nugent took issue with the state for standing by the peer-review research, however, slamming both the DNR and NRC over the ban, local media reported.

“They’re either liars or they’re stupid,” said Mr. Nugent, Michigan’s Up North Live news site reported. “But, in the world of political correctness, some guy in a lab coat made a decision. He’s never even eaten a deer; he’s never been in a deer woods and if he has, he’s either lying or hopelessly ignorant. I want regulations based on sound science to keep these precious wildlife resources in the asset column, attracted to the hunting families in Michigan, to become a destination state.”

“I am the ultimate conservationist and I killed two mature bucks on my property last year with my bow and arrow, neither of them anywhere near bait. I don’t need to bait. Nobody needs to bait. I don’t need an 850 horsepower hellcat either but I’m an American and I own that property,” added Mr. Nugent, according to the outlet. “If you don’t want to hunt over bait, it’s pretty simple. Don’t. We choose. It’s a choice.”

Mr. Nugent, 70, was born in Redford, a suburb of Detroit, but moved to Texas more than a decade ago, even buying property nearby then-President George W. Bush’s ranch in Crawford. Dubbed the “Motor City Madman,” Mr. Nugent previously wrote columns for The Washington Times.

The recently enacted ban on baiting game is not state-wide: it applies throughout Michigan’s Lower Peninsula and in parts of the Upper Peninsula where a high number of deer have become infected in recent years with a certain, contagious neurological disease known as chronic wasting disease.

The bill backed by Mr. Nugent, HB 4687, is not likely to be considered before bow hunting season begins next month, the Detroit Free Press reported. Firearm hunting season starts Nov. 15.
Hahahaha!!!!!

No baiting.......

Generations of shoot house corn piling mofo,s with no hunting skills in panic mode.

Lmfao!!!!!

I have not got a dog in this hunt, since I'm not in Michigan, and I'm not really a Nugent fan. But, I'm also not a fan of deer baiting and feeding. It's not any skill whatsoever involved in sitting over a pile of corn. On the other hand, I suppose you could also say that it's about as much as sitting over a food plot that is the only food in the area.
How many pages?

Geno
Nice to see Teddy still has a penchant for hyperbole at his age. Don't think I could tolerate a mellow Nugent.
Everything that hunters do is considered to be bad for the deer.

It should be up to the landowner what takes place on their place regarding this.

I just find it hard that slinging some corn will make every deer within miles of the site to come in.
Originally Posted by plainsman456

It should be up to the landowner what takes place on their place regarding this.

I just find it hard that slinging some corn will make every deer within miles of the site to come in.

The deer belong to the people of the state not the landowner. I wonder if they are thinking of banning food plots? It could be considered a form of baiting.
Originally Posted by colorado bob

The deer belong to the people of the state not the landowner. I wonder if they are thinking of banning food plots? It could be considered a form of baiting.

You could expand on that and ban hunting on any agriculture field that grew a crop the deer eat. No hunting on corn fields, soybean fields, wheat fields, oat fields, etc. You know there is some spillage and lots of the fields start a second growth. This could also be considered a form of baiting.

I doubt they'll ban food-plots. That's the issue they'll use to drive a wedge between the land-owning hunters and non-land-owning hunters. True "Divide and Conquer".
When I was a kid we didn’t have feeders and such. But we’d hunt hell out of a salt lick or around the acorns in the oak mott, or a hole in the oat patch fence. smile

i've been beaten over the head & shoulders while involved in this argument, more than once actually.

the king's wildlife belongs to the king, passed down to the state which sells commoners a license which allows limited hunting. it's sure to piss people off when the discussion gets intense.

here in georgia, in so far as i know, and i don't much keep up with the stuff anymore, baiting was allowed for south georgia, and then finally allowed years later for north georgia. my commoner's mind tells me if a food plot is legal, then so is "baiting." same thing in my pea brain. and the deer don't seem to know the difference.
Michigan lawmakers have a stranglehold on hunting laws.

Originally Posted by Morewood

He said stranglehold!!!!

No different than any state. Lawmakers make the laws. Banning baiting of deer or elk is not a law I would disagree with.
Originally Posted by RickyD

No different than any state. Lawmakers make the laws. Banning baiting of deer or elk is not a law I would disagree with.

well, i can agree with what of you speak. but what is baiting? that's where i've fallen into disrepair with others.

seed, fertilizer, tractors, a field of greens. an input of a lot of money. buyer's choice.

or spread various food, supplements, and other nutrition. input is money.

i don't think baiting with food is kosher.

i don't think food plots are kosher.
We have become dependent on this form of hunting in MI
That being said I really cant remember shooting a buck off a bait pile

I would also agree this form of hunting really doesnt make the best hunters. That being said I am sure you can find methods of hunting almost everywhere that other would roll their eyes, waterholes, dogs ,corn feeders ,helicopters etc

They (the bucks) know that a pile of sugar beets dont just fall there

The only thing it may help is if a doe is heading that way and he is hot on her tail

But I have shot quite a few off food plots and I will be sitting off one Nov 15 God willing

There is so much BS here in MI Re deer hunting I really dont know who to believe or root for anymore

Hank
Lots of Grant's and Franklin's bait these dears in......

If I ever get too old to blast that song (stranglehold) I will know its over
Hank
We bait, plant food plots, hunt holes in the fences, hunt game trails, hunt the falling acorns and pecans. We do what is legal, if they do away with feeders, so be it.
Seems this has turned into a discussion of "baiting". I've hunted over a corn feeder, hunted over a food plot and hunted over nothing. I don't see where hunting over a corn feeder does a whole lot. The deer come to it at times. Mostly when it is about to get so dark it is past twilight and you can't really see to shoot. It feeds squirrels, raccoons and I'm sure a lot of other critters. Food plots might feed deer. In the last eight years, I've seen one pair of deer come into a food plot and take a bite or two. Virtually all of the deer I've gotten are traveling from one place to another. I've NEVER seen a situation like you see on the YouTube hunting videos, or the hunting shows, where you sit in a big blind and five or six deer come out into a field while it is light and stay there to feed. '

There are a few in our club that have feeders out. Not sure how much they really rely on them because it is a lot of work and takes a lot of time to maintain them. Where I hunt now is an hour away. Keeping up with a feeder is just not possible and really isn't needed. But, each to their own. By the way, I am in SC.
Originally Posted by boatboy
We have become dependent on this form of hunting in MI
That being said I really cant remember shooting a buck off a bait pile

I would also agree this form of hunting really doesnt make the best hunters. That being said I am sure you can find methods of hunting almost everywhere that other would roll their eyes, waterholes, dogs ,corn feeders ,helicopters etc

They (the bucks) know that a pile of sugar beets dont just fall there

The only thing it may help is if a doe is heading that way and he is hot on her tail

But I have shot quite a few off food plots and I will be sitting off one Nov 15 God willing

There is so much BS here in MI Re deer hunting I really dont know who to believe or root for anymore

Hank

Well said.

Ted has his own ideas & defends them passionately.
its never been legal here in PA and lots of guys do it. law says its gotta be removed 30 days before hunting season. schit the wally world has pallets of the schit up through and during hunting season.
I remember when baiting was illegal for deer before in Michigan. We still managed to take deer. There were more hunters then too and kept the deer moving. I remember seeing 78 deer one opening morning. But if you saw an antler you better shoot him as you weren't likely to see another that season. Recently the hunting is different. Most deer stay put on private property next to their food piles. The quality of bucks has gone up.

I doubt that a baiting ban is going to stop or even slow the spread of chronic wasting disease. Deer will still congregate under apple trees, oak trees, corn fields, etc. Once the cwd prion is in the soil it stays for a long time. I think the best thing to do is drastically reduce the deer herd but that would be highly unpopular.
Teds a dumb ass.
I wonder if they are thinking of banning food plots? It could be considered a form of baiting.

The same science would apply to baiting bears, correct?
When Ted was cranking out hunting shows it was on his private ranch with corn or some sort of scratch all over the ground. The game would be milling around feeding and he would glamorize the kill and call it spiritual. What a tool.
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

“I am the ultimate conservationist and I killed two mature bucks on my property last year with my bow and arrow, neither of them anywhere near bait. I don’t need to bait. Nobody needs to bait. I don’t need an 850 horsepower hellcat either but I’m an American and I own that property,” added Mr. Nugent, according to the outlet. “If you don’t want to hunt over bait, it’s pretty simple. Don’t. We choose. It’s a choice.”

Semantics.
Baiting is legal in most of Wisconsin . I have seen how lazy baiting makes hunters. These guys can't get off their bait pile. They just dont know how to hunt anymore. I have a place in northern Wis. There are very few hunters there anymore . There is one party and they bait from opening day of bow season to the end of gun season. If it were not for baiting , they would likely not get any deer. The fathers knew how to hunt but the kids and now the fathers sit over bait. I know enough to have an accurate opinion. It is a lazy unskilled way to harvest a deer. One time I shot a buck and actually felt bad about it so I quit. Now I hunt over trails, areas where I think they bed and feed. I see a few less deer this way and hey dont come in , stand broadside and put their head down so I can shoot. Baiting makes for an easier shot but when I stopped hunting over bait , it was very liberating instead of hunting the same stand, mentally afraid to not hunt there thinking is I dont hunt that bait pile, that is when that buck will come in , and therefore you never leave the bait pile. Now I am a total nomad, I have at least 25 different well thought out stands on 7,000 ac. of public land that gets lots of pressure all bow season but I still see deer. Although this is south east Wisconsin, I like it a lot more , than sitting over bait. Bait also, for the thousandth time, makes deer move less in the daytime . The cams prove it. Nice bucks coming in an hr after close and and at 4AM. , just to see a nubby or some fawns in the daytime cam pics. If we keep bait out of the woods, the deer will move almost all day long like they did 30 yrs ago.
The Michigan DNR Sucks, 3 point rule 4 point rule! Bait dont Bait, I realy dont care much anymore! I do know 6 guys that are Not hunting in Michigan this year, they are going out of state! I live where I hunt, I could care less about the Baiting rule, if we can bait Ill put my 2 gallons of shell corn out, and Yes Iv Killed Large bucks over bait too! and without bait! I passed 2 diffrent 6 point bucks last year. I have 2 doe tags this year, 2 buck tags, Iv Passed on button bucks for 25 years but not anymore if its eating size Im shooting them. small six going down Im tired of the Let them Grow Crap! Fill the Freeze this year!
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by RickyD

well, i can agree with what of you speak. but what is baiting? that's where i've fallen into disrepair with others.

seed, fertilizer, tractors, a field of greens. an input of a lot of money. buyer's choice.

or spread various food, supplements, and other nutrition. input is money.

i don't think baiting with food is kosher.

i don't think food plots are kosher.

My sentiments exactly, that’s scary Gus and I’m sorry. Not that I agree but that someone else shares my esoteric thoughts. Sorry for you not me.
Ihookem, I hunt in “steep” peaks of the lowly Poconos but ARs rule and no baiting,1 buck and doe tags are permit only, ‘‘tis the law of the land, local only, my question lies in the former, do Baiters (yeah yeah Master haha, insert 10 yo joke) get more tags than you do?
Ted is talking out of his hat.
In my view Uncle Ted is grandstanding for himself.

Like many states we have a growing CWD problem and in some areas, bovine TB.

We need take off our tin foil hats, there is no great conspiracy. The DNR really doesn't care that you are a better hunter than Bubba sitting over bait. If you have been paying attention, they have actually been trying to increase the harvest (regular firearms during muzzle loader for example). They do care about a diseased herd of deer and elk. Our beef and dairy farmers care a LOT about bovine TB.

I know DNR biologists working on this problem that are avid hunters. The issue isn't food itself, it is nose to nose contact over a feeder or pile of feed. When you pile food over couple of square feet, you increase the likelihood of contact. A multi acre food plot is not the same.

I don't like a lot of rules and I sure don't like government telling us what to do, but we must be good stewards with our natural resources. Deer hunting is a Michigan cultural tradition we should not endanger. Ignoring science and burying our heads in the sand like Ted is not the answer.

405wcf
I don't see widespread civil disobedience as a result of this rule. Private landowners that bait will continue to do so. I do not hunt over bait piles but to each their own, especially on their own property.
Here in Kommiefornia, and in some other states I've lived in, "baiting" is defined as such.

It is unlawful to:

Knowingly feed big game animals. (please tell that to the folks down the road that always have deer hanging around there place in the winter. I think they dump 50lb sacks of birdseed in a trough and call it bird feeding. Friggen deer in the road every night in winter)

Take game birds and mammals within 4000 yards of any baited area. This does not apply to the taking of game birds and mammals on or over standing crops, croplands, or grains found scattered solely as the result of normal agricultural operations or procedures.

Take bears within 400 yards of any garbage dump or bait.

I'm not sure a food plot would be legal here, as a food plot just for attracting deer would likely be considered baiting. Now, it a person planted turnips and such, and harvest some, and left the bad ones, that might be considered normal agricultural operations. Or if one hunted over the standing "crop" of turnips.

Not really an issue here, as most folks don't hunt like they do in a hardwood forest back east.

Geno
Jeeze Louise.....the schitting country is covered up with deer.

No one is hunting them.

Time to harvest fewer deer??

Lyrics
All right! It's Zee Wango, Zee Tango
1-2-3-4
Come on boys
Time to Wango
My baby she like to rock
My baby she like to roll
My baby she can dance all night
My baby got no control
She do the Wango Tango
My baby she can scream and shout
My baby she can move it out
My baby she can take a chance
My baby got a brand new dance
Wango Tango
Wango Tango
It's a Wango Tango
Ooooh yeah! (ooh)
Baby!
My baby like to rock
My baby like to roll
My baby like to dance all night
She got no control
She do
Wango Tango
Wango Tango
Wango Tango
Oooh yeah! (ooh)
Yeah!
Baby! Baby! Baby! Ooh I like the way you look baby
You look like you're made for me honey
If you want to take a little chance
I'm gonna show you a new dance
Baby I gotta Wango down one time with you honey
I like it, I like it, I like it, I like it, I like it
Well, it's a brand new dance
Yeah been sweepin' the nation
I said a brand new dance
A rock 'n' roll sensation
Yeah I like it baby, I do it every night
I got to do it 'cause I like it so much
Oh honey believe it baby
You see it's a crazed gyration of the rock generation
It's my motivation to avoid the nauseation, frustration
When I need some lubrication, baby!
Kinda like, goes kinda like this
You take her right ankle out
You take her left ankle out
You get her belly propped down
You get her butt propped up
Yeah lookin' good now baby
I think you're in the right position now baby
Yeah but if you ain't quite ready I'll make sure everything is a little bit nicer 'cause
I'm gonna get a little talcum
I'm gonna borrow it from Malcolm
Yeah you look so good baby I'm starting to drool all over myself
I got the droolin', droolin', get all wet, salivate, salivate
I got slimy legs, slimy legs, slimy legs
Got slimy, slimy, slimy, slimy, heh heh heh
Yeah you look so good baby, I like it, I like it, I like it
You know what I been talkin' about honey
It's a nice dance, we gotta a nice dance goin' here
Now what you gotta do, I'll tell you what you gotta do
You got to pretend your face is a Maserati
It's a Maserati
It's a Maserati
It's a gettin' hotty
It's a Maserati, Maserati, Maserati
It's a fast one too man, that thing's turbocharged
You feel like a little fuel injection honey?
I'll tell ya about it, I'll tell you about it
I'll check out the hood scoop
I gotta get that hood scoop off, shine and shine and buff
I gotta buff it up, buff it up, buff it up, buff it up, buff it up,
Yeah, shiny now baby, heh heh heh
You've been drivin' all night long
It's time to put the old Maserati away
So you look for a garage, you think you see a garage
Wait a minute, Hey!, there's one up ahead
And the damn thing's open
Hello! Get in there!
Is my baby alive? (Is my baby alive?)
Is my baby alive? (Is my baby alive?)
Is my baby alive?
She Wango'd to death
Wango Tango (Wango Tango)
Wango Tango
Wango Tango
Wango Tango
Wango Tango
Wango Wango
Tango Tango
Wango Wango Wango Wango
Tango Tango Tango Tango
I think supporting this as a good thing against "bad hunters" is short sighted; feeds right into the divide and conquer of hunters. If you don't like baiting, deer, bears, whatever...don't. But don't cheer more restrictions being put on hunters, if you like to hunt. Your "unsporting" use of a firearm, or whatever else is deemed "unsportsmanlike" may be next.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Jeeze Louise.....the schitting country is covered up with deer.

No one is hunting them.

Time to harvest fewer deer??

+/- 50 does and fawns in my rancher neighbor's alfalfa tonight. He's probably already taken in his last cut and will be putting some cattle out there soon, they're in a neighboring field he cut a week or so.

But we don't have antlerless hunts up here. We just whack the extras with our vehicles.

Was pulling out of a parking lot around 5 this evening, right near the major intersection in town, our one flashing light. Saw a spike and a youngster getting ready to cross in front of me as I was going to make a right onto the east/west highway. Was watching a big pickup coming before I pulled out and he dang near hit them.

But we don't have even an archery hunt in town.

Mule deer populations are low you know...................not around us though.

I wish we had seasons like they do back east.

Geno
Too each his own.
Some can’t get it done any other way.

Is what it is,
Originally Posted by Thegman
I think supporting this as a good thing against "bad hunters" is short sighted; feeds right into the divide and conquer of hunters. If you don't like baiting, deer, bears, whatever...don't. But don't cheer more restrictions being put on hunters, if you like to hunt. Your "unsporting" use of a firearm, or whatever else is deemed "unsportsmanlike" may be next.

spot on
Part of southeast pa where i hunt is considered "special regulations area" and baiting is legal with conditions, must be an automatic feeder, dispense 2x daily max and only during hunting hours. Purpose of this is for population control and limited open land and to draw and hold the deer on properties where hunting is allowed. I "hunt" a few of these to help the landowners manage the herds. All i have ever seen while watching these are doe and small young bucks. The bigger bucks simply dont often come in to feed sites during daylight hours. Have talked to hunters in the more moutainous forested northern areas of the state and they told be a bait pile will bring deer in from all over the area, so i guess it depends on the area.
Let’s just make excuses for each other. That’ll fix it.

We have to do our part.
You have a tag to kill a deer. You kill a deer. Fuggin doogooders getting in other's business ain't going to help anything.
Originally Posted by saddlering
The Michigan DNR Sucks, 3 point rule 4 point rule! Bait dont Bait, I realy dont care much anymore! I do know 6 guys that are Not hunting in Michigan this year, they are going out of state! I live where I hunt, I could care less about the Baiting rule, if we can bait Ill put my 2 gallons of shell corn out, and Yes Iv Killed Large bucks over bait too! and without bait! I passed 2 diffrent 6 point bucks last year. I have 2 doe tags this year, 2 buck tags, Iv Passed on button bucks for 25 years but not anymore if its eating size Im shooting them. small six going down Im tired of the Let them Grow Crap! Fill the Freeze this year!

I think the biggest BS in MI is QDM

OK if you want to wait till you see a xx point great its your hunt
If you someone who comes up from GR and Det and your conscience is good with a 4 pt great
What about the 20 year old that never took a deer and wants to get started and the 4 pt is his option that no good enough
as you mature as a hunter you start to make choices and thats the way it should be

If you want meat in the freezer and this is good for you great
But we have groups that want to tell me that deer is not quality that one isnt either wait till you see this one

Fxxx Off

I am not a trophy hunter and each season I try to keep track of what is in my area and I hunt accordingly

I made the best Venison burgers last night I have no idea if it was a 6 or an 8 or the freezer buck I took last year It was great (it really was)

I dont (and SSB taught me you cant anyway) horde game I take what I think is appropriate depending on what we see getting ready for the season

I want to legally hunt my hunt

Hank

Oh, they just line up and you can just pick out the one you want as if they were tame cows. wink

Widespread Civil Disobedience = posted speed limits on US freeways...

So much drama, Ted. You should be a regular on 24hour...
Originally Posted by hanco
We bait, plant food plots, hunt holes in the fences, hunt game trails, hunt the falling acorns and pecans. We do what is legal, if they do away with feeders, so be it.

I agree. Here in Texas most people I know hunt over feeders including myself. Of all the bucks I’ve killed, only one was at the feeder. There’s so much for deer to eat that they don’t always come to the feeder.
I have a place (family farm ) and we had no deer when I was growing up. Or turkeys. The game dept. brought in deer back in the 80's and I brought in Rio Grande turkeys. They both thrive here now. I plant plots and do feeders as needed. Do coyote control. I am 59 this year and have only killed one deer on that property and not over a plot or feeder. Have had many a youth out to kill a deer there mainly to control doe numbers. They are all conservation tools and that's the name of the game. Stewardship....

Having said that when it is time to thin populations I have zero qualms about shooting over a plot or feeder because killin' is killin'. Hunting is between you and the game and those skills are taught here along with responsible conservation. So there is "hunting" and then there is "harvesting" both are needed.....
I feel the same way Hank! The Cos have told me that they find or are called to lots of Dead Bucks, Fork horns that are shot, and when the shooter Not hunter sees that its Not legal they just walk away and leave it! the one that I talked to last year had seen 11 small bucks just last season alone! the 3 point rule sucks, we should have alot of big bucks, but dont! Also its still legal to bait for the weekend Youth hunt , WHY if Baiting is Bad for the Deer heard go Figure!
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/sep/18/ted-nugent-says-new-michigan-hunting-rules-will-tr/

Ted Nugent took aim Tuesday at a new rule prohibiting baiting and feeding deer and elk in Michigan, ........

“We believe the authority to ban baiting and feeding should remain with the Natural Resources Commission, the body responsible for regulating the method and manner of take of game in Michigan,” said DNR spokesperson Ed Golder. “In addition, peer-reviewed research has shown that baiting and feeding that concentrates animals beyond their normal movement patterns increases the likelihood of disease transmission.”

Mr. Nugent took issue with the state for standing by the peer-review research, however, slamming both the DNR and NRC over the ban, local media reported.

“They’re either liars or they’re stupid,” said Mr. Nugent, Michigan’s Up North Live news site reported. “But, in the world of political correctness, some guy in a lab coat made a decision. He’s never even eaten a deer; he’s never been in a deer woods and if he has, he’s either lying or hopelessly ignorant. I want regulations based on sound science to keep these precious wildlife resources in the asset column, attracted to the hunting families in Michigan, to become a destination state.”

Here is your little piece of EU style government where some functionary makes the laws.
uncle ted remains an expert on the subject of civil disobedience, i've never hunted over bait anyway.
When I grew up there was no such thing as baiting. You found what looked like a good spot and hunted it. You really don't need to bait if you hunt farmland, the deer are there. The northern part of the state and the UP, there was much more in the large forest tracts. My favorite places to hunt, I enjoy getting out and scouting these forests and pinning down area the deer are moving and using.

Originally Posted by 405wcf

I know DNR biologists working on this problem that are avid hunters. The issue isn't food itself, it is nose to nose contact over a feeder or pile of feed. When you pile food over couple of square feet, you increase the likelihood of contact. A multi acre food plot is not the same.

405wcf

The problem with that is deer are social and are nose to nose all the time regardless of if it's a bait pile. Scrapes? Licking branches? Concentrated food sources such as cornfields, acorns, apple or pears, grooming each other?

Originally Posted by Thegman

Great post. And you'd be hard pressed to see a group more divided than MI deer hunters. You have elitist archery hunters looking down their nose at crossbow or firearm hunters (ironically 99% use the latest compound technology), you have baiters and non baiters, private vs public land, , traditional vs QDM hunters, numerous seasons starting in September through Jan 1st. Yet they all wonder why, as a group, they can't get anything accomplished to better deer hunting overall as compared to groups with a fraction of the numbers such as the bear hunters or trappers. Deer hunters are divided and their own worst enemy.
Originally Posted by boatboy

I think the biggest BS in MI is QDM

OK if you want to wait till you see a xx point great its your hunt
If you someone who comes up from GR and Det and your conscience is good with a 4 pt great
What about the 20 year old that never took a deer and wants to get started and the 4 pt is his option that no good enough
as you mature as a hunter you start to make choices and thats the way it should be

If you want meat in the freezer and this is good for you great
But we have groups that want to tell me that deer is not quality that one isnt either wait till you see this one

Fxxx Off

I am not a trophy hunter and each season I try to keep track of what is in my area and I hunt accordingly

I made the best Venison burgers last night I have no idea if it was a 6 or an 8 or the freezer buck I took last year It was great (it really was)

I dont (and SSB taught me you cant anyway) horde game I take what I think is appropriate depending on what we see getting ready for the season

I want to legally hunt my hunt

Hank

For that reason, I'd rather see them go back to one buck. MI has good genetics but you can't have 300k+ bowhunters and 600k+ firearm hunters two any season bucks and expect older age class bucks. I'd rather to see something like Wisconsin, one per archery, one per firearm.

Originally Posted by saddlering
Also its still legal to bait for the weekend Youth hunt , WHY if Baiting is Bad for the Deer heard go Figure!

Yep. If it's that much of an issue, why is it allowed during that hunt?

Originally Posted by M1Garand
I'd rather to see something like Wisconsin, one per archery, one per firearm.

And I'd like to see WI do what KS does - you get a single buck tag, how you fill it is up to you.

Hunters. We're a fickle bunch, eh? laugh laugh
Originally Posted by SKane

And I'd like to see WI do what KS does - you get a single buck tag, how you fill it is up to you.

Ohio is 1 buck per year. Archery or Firearm.
I have to say that feeders help the deer get through tough winters and there will be fewer deer if supplemental feeding is not done. Feeders also make it a lot easier to put a dent in the hog population. The sale of bait corn is a huge industry and this will hurt them some. On the other hand if the feeders help spread disease maybe they should stop doing it for a while.
Who wants to bet Mr. Greenjeans will be watching Old Ted like a hawk and Teddy will be the first to get a ticket............
Ain't accusing, just wondering.

Ted apparently offers guided hunts on his Michigan property.

https://www.tednugent.com/sunrize-safari-hunts/

Does he use bait?
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Ain't accusing, just wondering.

Ted apparently offers guided hunts on his Michigan property.

https://www.tednugent.com/sunrize-safari-hunts/

Does he use bait?

Are the Kennedys gun shy? whistle
Originally Posted by SKane

Ohio is 1 buck per year. Archery or Firearm.

I'm good with it. Plenty of available antlerless tags grin
They dont taste that damn good anyway.

Plug a few of the bastids off the grain pile and put them in the freezer.

Nonsense spending a bunch of time and money for such an animal.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
They dont taste that damn good anyway.

Plug a few of the bastids off the grain pile and put them in the freezer.

Nonsense spending a bunch of time and money for such an animal.

i've allus wondered why someone would commit a crime over a $25.00 deer.

but it happens all the time. it's necessary to appease the Cult of the Hunt.

i've always enjoyed my hunting, always came away wanting more.

but all the rules and politics is becoming a bit problematical.

it's turning a lot but not all the younger generation off.

at least listening to the songbirds is a good thing.
I would like to see MI go
1 buck
1 doe

That would make sense to me

Hank
© 24hourcampfire