Home
Posted By: wabigoon Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
The firewood thread has me wondering about the stoves, and chimneys you folks use?

At our humble north place, we have a Driolet, with a stainless double wall insulated chimney.
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
Fisher Mama Bear. Double flue chimney. One side for the stove and the other side for a fireplace.
Posted By: BamBam Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Fisher Mama Bear. Double flue chimney. One side for the stove and the other side for a fireplace.

Fisher made some nice stoves, mama bear is a sweet stove.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
I have a old Quadra-Fire fire place insert! Love it!
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have the Jotul Oslo. This is a beautiful wood stove. We have lots, and lots of firewood. We run the Oslo quite a bit.
Originally Posted by BamBam

Bought it from a friend's dad ~25yrs ago for $200. It was only 2yrs old then. Fancy model with the chrome balls on the feet and painted spruce tree pattern on the front. It would take a major catastrophe to wreck it.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
I've got an old earth stove with double wall stainless chimney. Love the auto dampener feature on the earth stove.
Posted By: EdM Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
Had this Fisher in Idaho,

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

replaced it with this Jotul,

but also use this Monarch when cooking.

Use this Quadrafire here in Texas.

Posted By: tikkanut Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19

got lazy........just yanked out the coal/wood stove in basement

worked well......just too much mess & fuss to keep it going...sold it

Will be installing a NG stove next week or so.....had to build hearth & cover wall behind with rock

NG is soo cheap here......have gas for..hot water.....furnace...dryer...BBQ...firepit & 1500 sq ft garage

Garage is a radiant tube type heater......steel framed garage & well insulated......

equal payment @ $63 month.....no brainer for me......
Can't blame you there. If I had to buy my wood I'd just use my propane back up full time.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
Here is ours.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: BamBam Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I have the Jotul Oslo. This is a beautiful wood stove. We have lots, and lots of firewood. We run the Oslo quite a bit.

That Oslo is one bad ass stove!, I ran that stove in my camp in the Adirondacks, old log cabin built in 1880 I never had a cold night :-) in my house in PA I run a F 600, firelight in my basement, And I just put in last year a insert in my fireplace, jotul 550, Should’ve put one in earlier, what is the difference. I also have a F 400 that I run upstairs in my bedroom/bonus room, but way too much stove, taking it out after putting the insert in the fireplace.
Posted By: Dess Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
https://www.lopistoves.com/product-detail.aspx?model=211

Ours is made by Lopi. American made. It is steel. Heats up fast...and cools down fast too. It has two flat surfaces on top. The upper one is great for keeping things warm. The lower one is good enough to cook on in a pinch.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
Got a Sears box stove that came from my grandpa's place in the '70s. Must be way older than that. Currently using it in my barn.
Got a nice little pot belly coal burner that we used to heat the canvas elk hunting tent. We have since replaced it with a more modern flat top barrel stove.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
Osburn M2400...
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
My BIL removed a nearly new Fisher when he remodeled his house and gave it to me. I'll be using it to heat my shop, but not with wood. Fill the firebox with cast iron- - - -old brake rotors, cylinder heads, etc. and run a waste oil drip once I get the burn going with Kerosene-soaked newspaper. I generate lots of waste oil with the vehicles around the farm, and I've got a couple of sources of giveaway motor oil and cooking oil from nearby businesses. Free heat, and I don't have to cut and split the fuel! Once the cast iron gets hot, it radiates heat for hours.
Jerry
Posted By: Kyhilljack Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
Buck stove model 91.
[Linked Image from woodstoves.net]
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
I use a Big Buck insert that I had buck modify for my fireplace . 3 speed fan and triple wall stainless flu that I had built to fit the buck. My house is one level, 5500 sq ft. Ceiling fans help circulate warm air throughout the central part of the house. Bedrooms on both ends remain cool if people keep the doors closed. I burn 4 to 6 cords of oak and hickory per year. Have used this buck stove for 31 years. I like fooling with wood.

That's the stove I'm going to buy. That or another similar Jotul.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
I have a soapstone woodstove in the office. Heavy sucker. Took me a while to learn how to run it. No draft control, just the chimney damper. You get that stove heated up and it will run you out of that end of the house if you aren't careful. But my wife doesn't like to mess with building a fire etc. so it doesn't get used much.

We have a quadrafire pellet stove in the family room. Absolutely love it. So much so, the wife has decided she wants the woodstove replaced with another quadrafire. Just bought a used qf pellet stove from a lady and now have to go get it and do the swap.
Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
We've had one of these for 15 years or more. It produces a lot of heat. The furnace will never kick on while the stove is burning. Has a blower but will do OK without it if the power is off. You can cook on the top too if need be.

https://www.regency-fire.com/en/Products/Wood/Wood-Inserts/H2100

Pellet stoves sound good and less messy but doesn't it require electricity for the auger, fan etc?
The reason I got my Fisher was because it was being replaced with a pellet stove. The following spring while hanging out at the local liars club the owner told me that he wished he hadn't sold it to me. He found out after a power outage his pellet stove was a no go. Power is needed for producing draft. Now this was before people around here got into generators so...……….
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
I can't get close enough to mine to determine what brand it is.

Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
quadrafire in the ranch yurt
[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

double drum shop heater

lopi in the back room of the old house

quardrafire in the front room of the old house (lost in divorce)

quadrafire in current little domicile
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

wall tent stove

backpack tent stove
a good pipe cap....

Posted By: SuperCub Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
A lot of people here burn wood for winter heat. The most popular stove by far is the Pacific Energy.

Mine is a Super 27

http://www.pacificenergy.net/products/wood/super/super-le/

Posted By: Ralphie Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
Blaze king and a hearth stone soap stone. The soapstone is pretty but I’d much rather have a blaze king princess model there instead.

The blaze king we do have is great. Huge fire box and burns very little wood.
Posted By: walt501 Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
If you want to burn AT LEAST 1/3 less wood, the stove you want is a Blaze King.

1/3 less wood burned for the same amount of heat

1/3 less wood hauled

1/3 less wood cut

1/3 less ash and clean up.

How? It's a catalytic stove that basically uses wood like a cigarette burns tobacco. The smoke produced that would usually be lost up the chimney is ignited by the catalyst. This also leads to MUCH LESS chimney buildup. I can go outside when my stove is running and there is no smoke coming out of the chimney.

I've had mine for six years at my cabin and can attest to all my claims above. The ONLY downside is if you have a spouse that just must see the dancing flames, they'll be disappointed. Yes, there's flames at startup, but once the stove gets going there is no flame - just heat and lots of it.

Look over the stove reviews at hearth.com. One stove is mentioned more than any other.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: logcutter Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Blaze king and a hearth stone soap stone. The soapstone is pretty but I’d much rather have a blaze king princess model there instead.

Originally Posted by Ralphie

Blaze King Princess here,it' can run us out of our 1300 Sq ft house..Heck of a stove and easy on the wood.
Yeah I've read Hearth.com quite abit and what you say is true. The Blaze King burn times are pretty amazing.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
I have an old Ember Hearth from the 1970's.

It has a blower that I have never hooked up.

Somebody at some point put long legs on it which suit the dog just fine. If the bottom ever falls out of that old relic he's gonna be in a world of hurt though.

Mike
Posted By: Remsen Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
I have a Lopi 1250 in my hunting cabin (14x20 log with a half loft). It can get pretty cold and the stove will keep the place warm through the night on just a few logs.
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
Originally Posted by walt501

1/3 less wood hauled

1/3 less wood cut

How? It's a catalytic stove that basically uses wood like a cigarette burns tobacco. The smoke produced that would usually be lost up the chimney is ignited by the catalyst. This also leads to MUCH LESS chimney buildup. I can go outside when my stove is running and there is no smoke coming out of the chimney.

I've had mine for six years at my cabin and can attest to all my claims above. The ONLY downside is if you have a spouse that just must see the dancing flames, they'll be disappointed. Yes, there's flames at startup, but once the stove gets going there is no flame - just heat and lots of it.

Look over the stove reviews at hearth.com. One stove is mentioned more than any other.

[Linked Image]

When I was researching new stoves 5yrs ago, two things prevented me from buying a catalytic stove. The cost to replace the catalytic module and in order to take advantage of the catalytic feature, you have to run the stove at a very high temp.

Not all days require a full out burn.
Posted By: whelennut Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
Originally Posted by 6mm250
I have an old Ember Hearth from the 1970's.

It has a blower that I have never hooked up.

Somebody at some point put long legs on it which suit the dog just fine. If the bottom ever falls out of that old relic he's gonna be in a world of hurt though.

Mike

At least nobody will trip on him
I have a Heatmasster 5000.
It was here when I bought the place.
It heats my house and a 30x50 ft pole barn with the barn having a concrete heated floor. There is a learning curve to heating with wood.
It has programmable thermostats and they are able to hold 5 different programs. Not for people who get confused easily.
whelennut
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
I went fancy and got a Vermont Castings Encore. My parents had the same one. Love heating the house with it in the winter.
Posted By: Kyhilljack Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Originally Posted by walt501

1/3 less wood hauled

1/3 less wood cut

[Linked Image]

When I was researching new stoves 5yrs ago, two things prevented me from buying a catalytic stove. The cost to replace the catalytic module and in order to take advantage of the catalytic feature, you have to run the stove at a very high temp.

Not all days require a full out burn.

You can burn at a lower temp with a cat stove. Buck I have you get it up to 500 for 30 minutes and the cat kicks in and you shut the air intake about off and the cat starts burning the smoke and the temp raises in the cat-box, not the entire stove. On a very cold night I have watched it go to 1500 degrees. Average day it burns at 1200 and then when it drops to about 400 you reload and bring it back up to operating temp.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
My VC has a cat and it works well. The operating temp is only about 500 degrees. It’s great for burning a clean flame (smolder really) and burns wood efficiently. Much less smoke from the chimney but you can always surpass the cat if you want to.
Posted By: Gus Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
have had an atlanta stoveworks homesteader model, with hinged top. can cook on firebox if power goes out.

takes 24 inch wood, but wood cut at 22 inches is oh so much better.

ashpan, and thermostat. good stuff. cast-iron liners.

they use to build fisher stoves close by. always wanted a papa bear.

also thought lot's of the riteway stoves built up in virginia.

ashley stoves were also good. those were the days.
Posted By: Hectortwsp Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
We burn Harman pellet stoves in the house 1 upstairs is a fireplace insert one in basement rec room is free standing. Up at camp I have an old Vermont Casting Resolute wood stove with coal kit can burn wood during day and pea coal over night that way I do not need to throw wood on at 3:00 AM to keep camp warm. 4 tons of pellets most winters heats my home ($800 Nov. thru April 72 degrees)
Posted By: Steve Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
Pacific Energy Neo 1.6. About the only thing that would it in our manufactured fireplace.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/21/19
The house has a wood burning fireplace with a blower unit. Masonry chimney. Ceiling fans distribute heat very well. Not as efficient as a wood stove, but it supplements first floor in-floor radiant heat and individual room electric baseboard heating units. Power has been out a few times during below zero outside temps and the fireplace will heat the whole house to 60-65 degrees.

[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

16'x20' and 1/2 loft log cabin is heated with a cast iron "kitchen heater". Chimney is triple-wall stainless steel chimney

Wall tent stove.

Work shop has a Round Oak stove. Masonry chimney.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/27/19
The reason I got my Fisher was because it was being replaced with a pellet stove. The following spring while hanging out at the local liars club the owner told me that he wished he hadn't sold it to me. He found out after a power outage his pellet stove was a no go. Power is needed for producing draft. Now this was before people around here got into generators so...……….

My pellet stove will run on a 12 volt battery if power is out. You have to manually light the stove, but it will operate otherwise.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/27/19
Originally Posted by Tarkio

My pellet stove will run on a 12 volt battery if power is out. You have to manually light the stove, but it will operate otherwise.

How long will a fully charged battery keep the stove going?
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/27/19

Huntsman you have a Sotz! Great stove. I have had 2 Sotz. This was a company back in 1980, they sold a kit. You got a metal cutting blade for the jigsaw, you cut a big square hole in the end of the drum, and bolted on the door. Then you cut a 6 inch hole at the end of the barrel, and bolted on the pipe fitting. Then you bolted on the legs and you were ready to rip! Get a couple cans of black high temp muffler spray paint, in two hours and for $50 you had a hell of a stove.

32 inch long firebox, this Bad Ass doesn't need dry wood it will burn anything. Huge massive firebox, probably the biggest firebox on any wood stove ever.
The stove is rated at 150,000 BTU. For comparison, my Oslo cost $2500 and is rated at 55,000 BTU.

Then you get the second Sotz kit, and put the second barrel on top, it is a heat exchanger and the big stove is rated at 250,000 BTU.
Talk about an all night burn!

In fact 3 years ago when I bought the Oslo, I wanted the Sotz! My girlfriend said, if I got another Sotz, she would leave me. She hates the Sotz. Women, go figure.
Don't get me wrong I love the Oslo and the view of the fire behind that big glass is just superb. But I just love the Sotz.

Sadly, the Sotz company went out of business about 1990. You can still find a Sotz kit on craigslist if you dig around a little.

I like the Oslo but these new stoves, including the Vermont Castings, are finicky about dry wood! You have to get a good woodshed or covered wood pile, it might take you two or three years to get down to 17 percent moisture. Got to get a digital moisture meter. They just won't work with wet wood.

The Sotz doesn't give a sh*t, in fact I would deliberately cut up a truckload of Oak about Dec. 1 so I would have some green wood. Load up that green wood in the Sotz at 11 pm you could get good heat for 12 to 15 hours.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/27/19
Poor Ed, slumming it 😳😂. Nice lookin digs north and south Ed 👍🏻

Using blaze kings here, 1 as insert downstairs

And 1 as free standing upstairs.

I need a 1 level house.

God but buying wood is such sacrilege to me 🤮

Huntsman has another Sotz, with the round door, for smaller barrels. I also had one of these.
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/27/19
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Glad they got that figured out. He bought his pellet stove and I don't know which brand it is/was in '94.
Posted By: hanco Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/27/19
We have a fireplace, but hardly ever use it!

I have the Oslo in the addition log cabin, and this fireplace in the original log cabin. I built this fireplace with rocks I got out of Bear Creek.
This is a pretty good heater, it is entirely within the house, so that, the back wall of the fireplace is the inside wall of the bathroom.
If I burn this for 5 hours, then shut it off and close the damper, it will put out good heat for 24 hours.

It is a pretty good heater for a fireplace, but not nearly as efficient as the Oslo.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/27/19
I'm still using my Earth Stove that I bought back in the early 80's. It takes about 4 cords of wood to get thru the winter. I mostly burn aspen or spruce----it's pretty hard to find hardwood here in Colorado.

I have the Oslo in the addition log cabin, and this fireplace in the original log cabin. I built this fireplace with rocks I got out of Bear Creek.
This is a pretty good heater, it is entirely within the house, so that, the back wall of the fireplace is the inside wall of the bathroom.
If I burn this for 5 hours, then shut it off and close the damper, it will put out good heat for 24 hours.

It is a pretty good heater for a fireplace, but not nearly as efficient as the Oslo.

Man that's nice work.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/27/19
Another Blaze King here. We heat the whole 2k sq ft house exclusively with it November thtough about the end of March. The house was designed around that stove, with intake for the central heating system almost directly above it. If the main room gets too warm, we can either spread the heat with the house fan, or open some windows. wink The house also takes advantage of passive solar. Lots of windows on the south side, so on clear sunny days - even in the teens, we can usually just have the fire going at night. We go through about three cords of mostly lodgepole a year. We've only had to replace the cat once in 20 years, but probably about due for another.
Posted By: shaman Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/27/19
Vogelzang Deluxe Boxwood Stove.

It was cheap. It generates gobs of BTU's and it's been working since 2001 without a hitch. I 've got a double-walled stainless flue going up through the attic. I run a box fan behind the stove to circulate the air.
Posted By: Savuti Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/27/19
When we lived in NW Jersey I ran a Vermont Castings Defiant Encore. Damn nice stove, heated the entire 1400 sq ft house from the basement.
Load it at 9pm and it was still warm at 7am. The one winter I didn't use the furnace at all I burned 4 cord. My first intro to chain saws!

Don't need one down here in FL. If it gets cold enough we go out and light the fireplace by the pool.
Posted By: broomd Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/27/19
Quadrafire..... Suspect that our 20'+ chimney pipe is one of the longest here....

Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/27/19
We have a Blaze King Princess Ashford in our cabin, got a smoking deal on it as it was used for a demo burn the year prior and he had to clear it out to make room for the new stoves coming into his store. Love the 30 hour burn time too, once it gets to temp maintaining a constant temp is a piece of cake and it's a very effiecient stove. We've got a Jotul 602 in our shop that we slo love though it only has a burn time of 4-5 hours but it's also a very efficient wood stove.

Attached picture Wood stove - mantle.jpg
Attached picture Jotul.jpg
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/27/19
Originally Posted by broomd
Quadrafire..... Suspect that our 20'+ chimney pipe is one of the longest here....

The pipe from the Blaze King through the roof of our cabin is 22 feet.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/27/19
I'll get around to building the house around this one, just trying to finalize the plans.

Posted By: kingston Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/27/19

Tag
Posted By: Toddly Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/27/19
My Heatmaster 10,000e heats my house, my water and my swimming pool. I have Mendota natural gas fireplaces in the home.

[Linked Image from i22.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i22.photobucket.com]
Posted By: BamBam Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/27/19

(Quote)I like the Oslo but these new stoves, including the Vermont Castings, are finicky about dry wood! You have to get a good woodshed or covered wood pile, it might take you two or three years to get down to 17 percent moisture. Got to get a digital moisture meter. They just won't work with wet wood

This is the biggest drawback to the new EPA stoves.The old days you could just throw anything in them not so anymore.But if you have the right wood, meaning dry, the efficiency is amazing with them.
Posted By: okie Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/27/19
A Majestic in the main house and two Fischer's a Papa Bear and a Baby bear.....
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/28/19
I run a quadra fire woodstove in the house and an old vestal stove in the shop. Paid 200 bucks for the quadra fire, got the vestal for free when I installed a new stove for a customer and they told me if I could haul off the old one, I could have it. Heated with it for years until I built us a house too efficient for it. Even in the last house we had the windows open a lot of the time. Then we got the little quadra fire. Last year, we never ran it. Heated and cooked for a year on 200 gallons of propane with an 1800sf house with high ceilings thoughout. Used a radiant ventless wall heater on the lowest setting all winter. Turn it up any, house gets too hot. May have gone a little overboard with the air sealing and insulation...
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Your Wood Burner? - 09/28/19
Fisher mama bear bought it for $75 best money I ever spent
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Your Wood Burner? - 10/03/19
Old Yukon Bronco, add on furnace.
Burns wood and coal, but the grates are shot and unavailable,
so no coal.

Anyone have a lead on replacement grates for this thing?
I think it was made in Mn.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Your Wood Burner? - 10/03/19
Quadra fire.

And like Charlie, there's usually one or the other of the dogs in front of it. Sometimes both get in the way of feeding it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'm a fan of a stove I can cook on if need be, and doesn't need power to operate. After all, whatcha gonna do when the SHTF? Just like in the olden days, when/if I run out of wood and trees before winter ends, I can always burn the furniture for heat. Try that in you natural gas insert.

Geno
Posted By: Gus Re: Your Wood Burner? - 10/03/19
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Quadra fire.

And like Charlie, there's usually one or the other of the dogs in front of it. Sometimes both get in the way of feeding it.

I'm a fan of a stove I can cook on if need be, and doesn't need power to operate. After all, whatcha gonna do when the SHTF? Just like in the olden days, when/if I run out of wood and trees before winter ends, I can always burn the furniture for heat. Try that in you natural gas insert.

Geno

i like the concept of being able to convert furniture into heat if push comes to shove.

down here today it's a record 98 or more.

but, the winter is coming.

the heater is already loaded with wood & kindling.

just in case. don't want an early unexpected cold spell to catch us unprepared. just sayin'
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Your Wood Burner? - 10/03/19
Originally Posted by BamBam

I have a Fisher that I took out of my up north house. I'd like to sell it. My plan is to replace it with a Blaze King just before I retire and move up permanently.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Your Wood Burner? - 10/03/19
I bought one of these some years ago. Decided to stick with gas. Its just sitting in the garage.

https://www.woodheat.com/products/stoves/wood-stoves/hearthstone-heritage.html

Got it for a good price, figure I'll hang on to it and use it in the cabin/camp I need to build.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Your Wood Burner? - 10/04/19
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I bought one of these some years ago. Decided to stick with gas. Its just sitting in the garage.

Got it for a good price, figure I'll hang on to it and use it in the cabin/camp I need to build.

That one is worth building a room around. A beauty.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Your Wood Burner? - 10/04/19
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
We've had one of these for 15 years or more. It produces a lot of heat. The furnace will never kick on while the stove is burning. Has a blower but will do OK without it if the power is off. You can cook on the top too if need be.

https://www.regency-fire.com/en/Products/Wood/Wood-Inserts/H2100

Pellet stoves sound good and less messy but doesn't it require electricity for the auger, fan etc?

We had a Regency at our last place. Not an insert though a stand alone stove, 8 inch steel chimney and an insulated stainless outlet piece. Hell of a good unit they're popular around here. Like you say the blower is nice but with no power no blower you could still about cook yourself out of our house if you ran it near full.
Posted By: Border Doc Re: Your Wood Burner? - 10/04/19

The pellet stove in our 1896 farm house was removed by previous owners before we moved in. This heritage home has no insulation to speak of, but is only @ 1700 sq. feet, including upper level. We replaced the pellet stove with an insert, a Montlake 230 by Ironstrike. We are in the 7,000 foot level of the mountains, with easy access to the standing-dead timber of the Forest. If the blower is usable, it does a fine job. If the power goes out, it struggles a bit to heat the whole house. Our backup is electric wall heaters, but they rarely are needed. We go through about 3 cords of Fir, Spruce or Pinon each winter and enjoy the warmth that only a fireplace or wood stove could provide.

The purchase and installation of a vented chimney cap has been worthwhile, since we get a bit of creosote buildup otherwise. The old masonry chimney still works fine with its' steel liner. Junk mail serves as kindling and we routinely clean the chimney/pipe every year.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Your Wood Burner? - 10/04/19

Beautiful work. When I build the new house in a couple of years, I'll be putting in a masonry wood heater. They are amazingly efficient and seem like a easier to operate version of the wood stove.

http://www.heavenlyheat.com.au/home-2/how-masonry-heaters-work/
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Your Wood Burner? - 10/04/19
Originally Posted by roundoak

Work shop has a Round Oak stove. Masonry chimney.

This stove is similar to the one that heated the farm house of my childhood. (1940s) Ours was the ROUND OAK DUPLEX. The differences I remember are primarily cosmetic. The crown,front foot rest, and bottom ring were nickle plated. That corrugated cast iron base would turn red during those below zero days. Our stove also had 2x2 inch Isinglass (mica) windows in the lower door.

I remember sitting there with my dad. We would pull off those winter boots and rest our feet in the foot rest and watch the steam rise off our wool sox while we dried them and warmed our feet. That stove plus the kitchen wood cook stove kept that old 12 room farm house warm during the Adirondack winters. It was not uncommon to see -30, -40 degree weather.
Posted By: broomd Re: Your Wood Burner? - 10/06/19
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

The pipe from the Blaze King through the roof of our cabin is 22 feet.

John, we're also right at 22'.....as you know just the heat from that vert pipe = some serious btus!
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Your Wood Burner? - 10/06/19
Originally Posted by Dutch

Beautiful work. When I build the new house in a couple of years, I'll be putting in a masonry wood heater. They are amazingly efficient and seem like a easier to operate version of the wood stove.

http://www.heavenlyheat.com.au/home-2/how-masonry-heaters-work/

I looked long and hard at putting a Tulikivi masonry heater into my house. I love 'em!
I finally figured that the thing, day in and day out, would put out too much heat for the NC mountains. Plus the girlfriend doesn't like them.
I wound up going with the fireplace and a wood stove.
Quadrafire Isle Royale in the dining room. I use a fan to move air towards the front if the house and up the stairs, I get a good circulation which heats the whole house, except the back upstairs bedroom on the coldest, windiest nights. 100 year old house, 2400 square feet. It likes dry wood, but I haven't found it to be as picky as some I have read about.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Your Wood Burner? - 10/06/19
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by MadMooner

That one is worth building a room around. A beauty.

Thanks. I really should just sell it, buy a simple old cast stove when I’m ready.
© 24hourcampfire