-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pacific Energy Neo 1.6. About the only thing that would it in our manufactured fireplace.

Carpe' Scrotum

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The house has a wood burning fireplace with a blower unit. Masonry chimney. Ceiling fans distribute heat very well. Not as efficient as a wood stove, but it supplements first floor in-floor radiant heat and individual room electric baseboard heating units. Power has been out a few times during below zero outside temps and the fireplace will heat the whole house to 60-65 degrees.

[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

16'x20' and 1/2 loft log cabin is heated with a cast iron "kitchen heater". Chimney is triple-wall stainless steel chimney

Wall tent stove.

Work shop has a Round Oak stove. Masonry chimney.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EZEARL
The reason I got my Fisher was because it was being replaced with a pellet stove. The following spring while hanging out at the local liars club the owner told me that he wished he hadn't sold it to me. He found out after a power outage his pellet stove was a no go. Power is needed for producing draft. Now this was before people around here got into generators so...……….

My pellet stove will run on a 12 volt battery if power is out. You have to manually light the stove, but it will operate otherwise.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarkio
The reason I got my Fisher was because it was being replaced with a pellet stove. The following spring while hanging out at the local liars club the owner told me that he wished he hadn't sold it to me. He found out after a power outage his pellet stove was a no go. Power is needed for producing draft. Now this was before people around here got into generators so...……….

My pellet stove will run on a 12 volt battery if power is out. You have to manually light the stove, but it will operate otherwise.

How long will a fully charged battery keep the stove going?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

Huntsman you have a Sotz! Great stove. I have had 2 Sotz. This was a company back in 1980, they sold a kit. You got a metal cutting blade for the jigsaw, you cut a big square hole in the end of the drum, and bolted on the door. Then you cut a 6 inch hole at the end of the barrel, and bolted on the pipe fitting. Then you bolted on the legs and you were ready to rip! Get a couple cans of black high temp muffler spray paint, in two hours and for $50 you had a hell of a stove.

32 inch long firebox, this Bad Ass doesn't need dry wood it will burn anything. Huge massive firebox, probably the biggest firebox on any wood stove ever.
The stove is rated at 150,000 BTU. For comparison, my Oslo cost $2500 and is rated at 55,000 BTU.

Then you get the second Sotz kit, and put the second barrel on top, it is a heat exchanger and the big stove is rated at 250,000 BTU.
Talk about an all night burn!

In fact 3 years ago when I bought the Oslo, I wanted the Sotz! My girlfriend said, if I got another Sotz, she would leave me. She hates the Sotz. Women, go figure.
Don't get me wrong I love the Oslo and the view of the fire behind that big glass is just superb. But I just love the Sotz.

Sadly, the Sotz company went out of business about 1990. You can still find a Sotz kit on craigslist if you dig around a little.

I like the Oslo but these new stoves, including the Vermont Castings, are finicky about dry wood! You have to get a good woodshed or covered wood pile, it might take you two or three years to get down to 17 percent moisture. Got to get a digital moisture meter. They just won't work with wet wood.

The Sotz doesn't give a sh*t, in fact I would deliberately cut up a truckload of Oak about Dec. 1 so I would have some green wood. Load up that green wood in the Sotz at 11 pm you could get good heat for 12 to 15 hours.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Poor Ed, slumming it 😳😂. Nice lookin digs north and south Ed 👍🏻

Using blaze kings here, 1 as insert downstairs

And 1 as free standing upstairs.

I need a 1 level house.

God but buying wood is such sacrilege to me 🤮

Last edited by 2legit2quit; 09/27/19.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Huntsman has another Sotz, with the round door, for smaller barrels. I also had one of these.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Glad they got that figured out. He bought his pellet stove and I don't know which brand it is/was in '94.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We have a fireplace, but hardly ever use it!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have the Oslo in the addition log cabin, and this fireplace in the original log cabin. I built this fireplace with rocks I got out of Bear Creek.
This is a pretty good heater, it is entirely within the house, so that, the back wall of the fireplace is the inside wall of the bathroom.
If I burn this for 5 hours, then shut it off and close the damper, it will put out good heat for 24 hours.

It is a pretty good heater for a fireplace, but not nearly as efficient as the Oslo.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm still using my Earth Stove that I bought back in the early 80's. It takes about 4 cords of wood to get thru the winter. I mostly burn aspen or spruce----it's pretty hard to find hardwood here in Colorado.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I have the Oslo in the addition log cabin, and this fireplace in the original log cabin. I built this fireplace with rocks I got out of Bear Creek.
This is a pretty good heater, it is entirely within the house, so that, the back wall of the fireplace is the inside wall of the bathroom.
If I burn this for 5 hours, then shut it off and close the damper, it will put out good heat for 24 hours.

It is a pretty good heater for a fireplace, but not nearly as efficient as the Oslo.

Man that's nice work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another Blaze King here. We heat the whole 2k sq ft house exclusively with it November thtough about the end of March. The house was designed around that stove, with intake for the central heating system almost directly above it. If the main room gets too warm, we can either spread the heat with the house fan, or open some windows. wink The house also takes advantage of passive solar. Lots of windows on the south side, so on clear sunny days - even in the teens, we can usually just have the fire going at night. We go through about three cords of mostly lodgepole a year. We've only had to replace the cat once in 20 years, but probably about due for another.

Last edited by FreeMe; 09/27/19.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vogelzang Deluxe Boxwood Stove.

It was cheap. It generates gobs of BTU's and it's been working since 2001 without a hitch. I 've got a double-walled stainless flue going up through the attic. I run a box fan behind the stove to circulate the air.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When we lived in NW Jersey I ran a Vermont Castings Defiant Encore. Damn nice stove, heated the entire 1400 sq ft house from the basement.
Load it at 9pm and it was still warm at 7am. The one winter I didn't use the furnace at all I burned 4 cord. My first intro to chain saws!

Don't need one down here in FL. If it gets cold enough we go out and light the fireplace by the pool.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Quadrafire..... Suspect that our 20'+ chimney pipe is one of the longest here....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have a Blaze King Princess Ashford in our cabin, got a smoking deal on it as it was used for a demo burn the year prior and he had to clear it out to make room for the new stoves coming into his store. Love the 30 hour burn time too, once it gets to temp maintaining a constant temp is a piece of cake and it's a very effiecient stove. We've got a Jotul 602 in our shop that we slo love though it only has a burn time of 4-5 hours but it's also a very efficient wood stove.

Attached Images
Wood stove - mantle.jpg (32 KB, 204 downloads)
Jotul.jpg (33.68 KB, 202 downloads)

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by broomd
Quadrafire..... Suspect that our 20'+ chimney pipe is one of the longest here....

The pipe from the Blaze King through the roof of our cabin is 22 feet.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll get around to building the house around this one, just trying to finalize the plans.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by broomd

Tag

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 57 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,306
Posts18,487,165
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.