Home
Hello everyone, hope all is well

I was hoping to get some advice here as I am sure I'm not the only one to go through this.

My father is getting older and he wants to keep our family firearms including pistols protected by passing them down to me but he is unsure of the laws and wants to be covered on all ends.

What is the best recommendation on how to go about transferring all of his firearms over time into my name? I have my firearms purchaser ID card.

Go to a FFL with any firearm we believe was purchased "on record" and have them transferred into my name?
Leave them in his will to me and I will inherit them? Do not want to have to pay tax on them if that could come up if we go this route?
Do pistols complicate things?

Basically what can bite us here, want to do the right thing. Would be heartbroken if we had any unwanted consequences with this.

Thank you kindly!
Dad walks up to son, hands him a firearm and says to have a nice day.

Repeat as necessary.

How it's been done in my famdamily.
That anyone even has to ask this question is sickening.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
That anyone even has to ask this question is sickening.

True
Oh please. Geez.
No legal issues that I can think of, unless your state requires a permit and registration for handguns. The only possible issue might come from other relatives who might claim you wrongly took them after your father passes away. How about your dad gives you a signed bill of sale for all of them in exchange for one dollar? I believe that would settle the matter vis a vis any challengers.
Posted By: WTF Re: Advice on Inheriting Firearms - 10/07/19
Originally Posted by Raeford

Repeat as necessary.

And that;s how it's done
I can hand anything I wish over to my kids or grandkids, or sell it to any Tom, Dick, or Harry walking down the street, as long as I have no reason to suspect Tom, Dick, nor Harry is prohibited from firearms ownership, nor that he resides in a different state.

But then, I live in Free America, where such things as a "Firearms purchaser ID card" are unheard of.
That's a legal question, and any advice you get here is worth what you paid for it. Different states have different laws.

Usually, the "have a nice day" approach is fine.
This is what the libs are trying to push thru.

Right now, it's still a free America, no law preventing passing any gun (except Class III) to a family member. May need a new ATF stamp with Class III.

I'd probably draw up an act of sale or transfer just for internal family records. May be a good idea if there was potential for a challenge down the road from other stakeholders questioning the legitimacy of the gift(s)..

Optional. Depends on family dynamics.

DF
One just gives the gun to the other. If one wants a paper trail, type up a single statement, I, joe blow, give the following guns to my son . List them and be done with it. Personally, I'd just tell my boy to take them and enjoy.
Several years ago, Dad and I had the discussion about who he wanted his guns to go to. It was all written out on paper and he signed it with 2 witnesses. Except for 1 rifle, he has already given the family members the guns he wanted them to have. There are other guns that were not specified to go to any particular person and they will be dispersed according to the directions written on the paper.
pennsylvania
Best thing to do ..........

is to inherit really nice guns.
Originally Posted by watch4bear
pennsylvania

Yeah, that says a lot about the reason the OP has questions.
It gets complicated after he dies if it is a machine gun. The ATF has a amnesty period after the death to straighten out the paperwork.
If you think there will be issues with other family members, then have him express his wishes or the transfer of all firearms in a letter signed in front of a notary or an attorney.

Should be no serious legal issues, unless he has dementia, or YOU have a felony or domestic violence conviction.
What is this firearms purchaser card you need in Pennsylvania? Never heard of that.

Aside from that, I agere with everyone else. Just give your sons the guns.

Do NOT mention any guns in your will.
If your dad has will or trust that transfers, that is all you need. Property transfer just like a home or anything else is a court filing with no ability to contest.
Handguns must be legally transferred in Pa.

But,

they can be passed (without any paperwork) between
immediate family members. Blood or spouses only.

So, my Super Blackhawk that was registered in my Stepdads name
when I bought it at 17, could be given to my mother, who then could
give it to me. Legally. He couldn't give it directly to me.

This issue caused me to examine the law about 3 years ago.
For simplicity, due to some unusual issues, I paid the $12 to do
a transfer.

In short, in Pa, your dad can legally give you any gun he legally owns.
The republic is sick when one must wonder about such
If you're not prohibited from owning a firearm, not including anything that falls under Class III, I can't think of a Federal Law that prevents him from giving and you from receiving them.

If he wants you to distribute specific firearm to specific family members or friends, other than to you, he could put that in his will.

The distribution of a person's assets often brings out the worst behavior in both family and "friends", so if you become the keeper be prepared for others to claim that they were the rightful heir to whatever they want when you Father passes.

When my Mother passed, there were people coming out of the woodwork claiming that she had promised them things, but she didn't leave any record of such bequeaths, so I gave her stuff that I didn't want to whoever I felt would appreciate it and ignored the rest. Without proper documentation an estate executor had broad latitude to do as he/she feels is appropriate in most States.
Over 2000 murders done in Chicago this year with illegally obtained firearms, but these bureaucrat a- holes no matter where are worried about a father and a son and their bond. Agree, so pathetic where we have gone as a country.
BurninDupont: Wait for a birthday, hoilday or any special day and have them handed over to you.
No muss, no fuss, no dilly-dallying!
And thank your father profusely, and then promise they will be kept within the family.
Been there done that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Over 2000 murders done in Chicago this year with illegally obtained firearms, but these bureaucrat a- holes no matter where are worried about a father and a son and their bond. Agree, so pathetic where we have gone as a country.

It's a phugged up country, is it not ?
What Denton said. I can tell you there are no problems in my state but other states are different. That's what lawyers are for.
Dafuq?????

Load them up and take them home

What are you? A closet Canadian?
Just hand them over, done deal
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Handguns must be legally transferred in Pa.

But,

they can be passed (without any paperwork) between
immediate family members. Blood or spouses only.

So, my Super Blackhawk that was registered in my Stepdads name
when I bought it at 17, could be given to my mother, who then could
give it to me. Legally. He couldn't give it directly to me.

This issue caused me to examine the law about 3 years ago.
For simplicity, due to some unusual issues, I paid the $12 to do
a transfer.

In short, in Pa, your dad can legally give you any gun he legally owns.

Yep. As far as I know, Pennsylvania is still a "have a nice day" or "happy birthday" state.

Your gubbner........ Tommy the Commie........would LOVE to have it 180 degrees the OTHER way.........
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
Hello everyone, hope all is well

I was hoping to get some advice here as I am sure I'm not the only one to go through this.

My father is getting older and he wants to keep our family firearms including pistols protected by passing them down to me but he is unsure of the laws and wants to be covered on all ends.

What is the best recommendation on how to go about transferring all of his firearms over time into my name? I have my firearms purchaser ID card.

Go to a FFL with any firearm we believe was purchased "on record" and have them transferred into my name?
Leave them in his will to me and I will inherit them? Do not want to have to pay tax on them if that could come up if we go this route?
Do pistols complicate things?

Basically what can bite us here, want to do the right thing. Would be heartbroken if we had any unwanted consequences with this.

Thank you kindly!

I don't believe anything can "bite" you now, but it would good to do this now so just in case the dems get it, it's done.

The demoncraps have all kinds of crap they will likely pull related to firearms, if given the chance.
Holy crap, this is America. Just get the guns, pocket watch and carry on.
As long as the kids are all residents of the same state as the father there shouldn't be a problem with just handing them over. If any of the kids live in another state they should go through a FFL. That could potentially lead to serious problems depending on which states are involved.
If there are NFA items go to a lawyer and get a trust with your father and you and transfer them to the trust
In anticipation of possible future political weirdness I gifted all of my documented "assault rifles" to various family members with a notarized document. This dates their ownership should that become a question.

mike r
Originally Posted by fburgtx
If you think there will be issues with other family members, then have him express his wishes or the transfer of all firearms in a letter signed in front of a notary or an attorney.

Should be no serious legal issues, unless he has dementia, or YOU have a felony or domestic violence conviction.

This. Removes all doubt among the family members or anyone else for that matter.

Transfer of firearms between family members are not controlled by the govt in any state that I am aware of.

Dont know how your Dad's health is, but when things like this arise it is a wise plan to get it done with as soon as possible, dont screw around with it.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Holy crap, this is America. Just get the guns, pocket watch and carry on.

It is now, but won't be for long if the demoncraps get their way.
According to Pa. regs he can just give them to you. That’s how it is here in Nebraska too.

Next, we examined Pennsylvania law when it comes to the transfer of modern handguns. Typically, sales or transfers of modern handguns between private individuals must take place in “the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff’s office . . . .” 18 Pa.C.S. § 6111. Essentially, these transfers must take place through your Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) or through the Sheriff’s Office. In facilitating the transfer, the FFL or Sheriff will take the same precautions required of a dealer when selling to an individual. So, yes, the person receiving the firearm will submit to a background check (so much for that “gun show loophole”, right?).

This requirement does not apply to transfers between spouses, transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild. Id. Transfers between folks in these relationships can take place without any record required or background check provided that the transferring person does not knowingly transfer the weapon to a prohibited person. Again, this doesn’t necessarily serve as ammunition for the “gun show loophole” folks, because it doesn’t seem to make much sense to meet Grandpa at the gun show to complete a transfer.
PA laws are all that apply... and an important one relates to how Wills MAY have to be written. In some States all potential heirs must be named in the Will, even if they are to receive nothing. Pre-gifting is a good idea, but getting stuff on paper is even more important.

There is a Federal exemption on gifting to family but it is more of a hassle than just following the State laws here. PA might be a situation where it would be easier to go through a Federal exemption.
Originally Posted by Swifty52
According to Pa. regs he can just give them to you. That’s how it is here in Nebraska too.

Next, we examined Pennsylvania law when it comes to the transfer of modern handguns. Typically, sales or transfers of modern handguns between private individuals must take place in “the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff’s office . . . .” 18 Pa.C.S. § 6111. Essentially, these transfers must take place through your Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) or through the Sheriff’s Office. In facilitating the transfer, the FFL or Sheriff will take the same precautions required of a dealer when selling to an individual. So, yes, the person receiving the firearm will submit to a background check (so much for that “gun show loophole”, right?).

This requirement does not apply to transfers between spouses, transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild. Id. Transfers between folks in these relationships can take place without any record required or background check provided that the transferring person does not knowingly transfer the weapon to a prohibited person. Again, this doesn’t necessarily serve as ammunition for the “gun show loophole” folks, because it doesn’t seem to make much sense to meet Grandpa at the gun show to complete a transfer.

Good stuff!
I've already started the process. First round + some, already distributed. Remainder have hang tags with names on them. I started a list with names about 10 years ago. But, the inventory was still changing. Ended up just putting hang tags on stuff I am not actively using, or, has already been gifted.

Repeat as necessary.

And its perfectly legal....for now.

When the laws become oppressive, the law-abiding will break them.
firearms purchaser ID card in PA? what is that? no such thing here. you must be in jersey. if so, rotsa ruck. here in PA i have inherited guns, including handguns from granddad and dad. i have also given handguns to my sons. you don't need to do anything else as long as they aren't felons. this explains it pretty well

https://www.pennlago.com/inheriting-firearms-pennsylvania-law/
Originally Posted by WTF
Originally Posted by watch4bear
pennsylvania

Yeah, that says a lot about the reason the OP has questions.

That's stupid. Proves you know little about PA.
Originally Posted by Orion2000
I've already started the process. First round + some, already distributed. Remainder have hang tags with names on them. I started a list with names about 10 years ago. But, the inventory was still changing. Ended up just putting hang tags on stuff I am not actively using, or, has already been gifted.

I've done some of the same thing with my firearms and plan on doing some more really soon. It is easy now and might get much harder in the future. Just hand the gun to my son and say "here you go" and watch them smile!

I like the idea of the hang tags and already have a few of my firearms mentally assigned to each son. I need to get busy I guess. This next round is going to be about me clearing up some space in the safe.

I'm not at the point that I want to get down to a shotgun, rimfire rifle, centerfire rifle and a pistol, but I'm going to get closer to that. My collecting over the years has led me down some dead ends and I've still got every dead end....Got to decide which one of my boys gets to enjoy my Remington 742 in 7mm Exp Rem.... grin
Originally Posted by ingwe

Repeat as necessary.

And its perfectly legal....for now.

When the laws become oppressive, the law-abiding will break them.

Word.

mike r

Nice of you to post this,
You wasted your time.

I already answered the question as it pertains to the OP in his
home state.

Others will continue to post schitz about THEIR state, or federal law.

You wasted your time.

home state.

Gotta love the fire, some snowflake always gotta be butt hurt about something. You because I quoted Pennsylvania state regs but live in Nebraska. Did the Gerbil hurt your azz on the way in?

You wasted your time.

home state.

What is your conniption all about??
It’s bad now in some states. If we keep electing democrats it’s going to get worse. Hasbeen
Thank you to all who responded. Did some more research and PA and NJ (the states that we both reside in) both have the same policy regarding inheritance (no issues). Seems the easiest way for us.

Alternatively, pre-inheritance I can have them transferred to me one by one by filling out a form for each long gun, and need a pistol permit for each pistol. Would obviously not like that route.

Firearms purchaser ID is a NJ thing, had to apply for it, wait for it, and need to show it when purchasing a firearm here.

Best
Posted By: las Re: Advice on Inheriting Firearms - 10/08/19
Low profile is good. What they (the state) don't know can't hurt you.

Documentation of transfer for reasons stated by others is good, no matter what.

Pre-death gifts are better than estate taxes.
Originally Posted by Rossimp

2000 murders?
That means recorded dead in the morgues and on police records?
Even 2000 combined killed and wounded ?

Is it really that high?

Not that i give a fugg about chitcago and groids whacking each other.

But that number is a goal to be met in my way of thinking .
Lol!!!

I aint even gonna bother looking it up cause i will be disappointed in it probably being way lower.
One can only have hope.....
LOL!!!
Swifty, pahntr760,

Read again.
OP ask a question, it was answered pertaining to his situation.
Did you read the posts giving advice on other states and fed law?
Worthless on one hand, could lead to big mistakes on the other.

Swift, you must have mistaken a rat for a gerbil last night.
You are the sore ass.

My post wasn't about someone's residence, it was about their
quoting their state law.

You posted the OP's. The best, most
legitimate post in this thread. IMO.

And I was acknowledging it.

Wow. I compliment someone, they get offended.

I will stop now.
I don't want to offend further.
Posted By: TomT Re: Advice on Inheriting Firearms - 10/08/19
“Transfer of firearms between family members are not controlled by the govt in any state that I am aware of”

You have (fortunately IMHO) never been to NewYorkistan!
In all areas except for NYC and possibly Albany, long guns CAN be gifted from parent to child, but handguns require a FFL dealer transfer from handgun licensed parent to handgun licensed child (over 21). It’s a PITA.

Even worse (and bordering on unbelievable), is in NYC, you need a rifle & shotgun card, that lists all of your long guns, and when you buy one, there’s a form that is filled out that goes to the City of NY. For handguns, you have to get permission (a “purchase document” to buy a handgun from a dealer, AND you have to get a “log number” to sell a handgun that you legally own! BS!

More ridiculous NYC bs:

A NYC resident can only buy 1 firearm every 90 days, and the MAXIMUM number of cartridges a resident can possess in their homes for each caliber/cartridge is 200.

I KNOW most of you will say, it’s NY, lost cause, who cares (and I agree), but I mention this in hopes of avoiding the LIEberal proliferation in other States/locales. I left that shiythole years ago, but I fear the cancer (and LiEberalism IS a cancer) will spread Nationally. -TomT
You should hear the process I need to go through to get my father's pistols (had to forfeit his pistol permit when he moved from NY to PA) to me in NY. it's a clusterfµck.
Isn't Washington state the one where you literally can't hand someone a firearm to look at or loan them one to use w/o a background check?
Serioiusly?

Dad: "son i'd like you to have these guns."

Son: "thank you."

Done.
In Kentucky you hand the kid the gun and say .."there you go, this was Grandpaw's"
Posted By: Quak Re: Advice on Inheriting Firearms - 10/08/19
Dont regester [bleep]
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Advice on Inheriting Firearms - 10/08/19
Gave all mine away about 5 years ago, the guns I use now are barrowed from my kids. when I go toes up all they have to do is come pick them up. they own them. Rio7
© 24hourcampfire