Home
Posted By: RMerta Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
So my wife and I are about to buy a Subaru Outback. To those that have bought theirs new what can a guy figure to knock of the sticker price?
No trade in. Paying cash.
Thanks
Posted By: RMerta Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
I love to haggle and have no issues wheeling and dealing. I’m all about getting the best price.
Thanks
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
You want to ask the guys on here about a lezmobile?!??!
Call as many dealers as feasible, and tell them you’re taking delivery 10/31. If any are close to a month-end sales goal, they’ll let some crazy deals go through to get their numbers.

If you were in, say, Kokomo, you could hit the dealers in Lafayette, Indy, & Ft. Wayne. The potential savings would be totally worth the drive.

Good Lick,

FC
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
I don't have much idea, just wanted to comment that Wifey got a 014 Crosstrek last year. We had to hunt for one with a 5 speed stick. Most everything we looked at had those CVT, or gumband transmissions. Stick with the regular automatic if you can, and try for a v-6. That box 4 cylinder is a damn pig.
We had an 09 Forrester with the v-6 and a five speed that had 270 thousand miles with no trouble other than a new clutch at 225000! Them Subies run almost forever, but I miss the power and torque of the 6 popper.
Good luck.
7mm
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19

If you buy a car through Costco you get a pretty good no hassle deal.

Otherwise, pit the dealers against each other just like FC said. Buying one off the lot can often get you a better deal.

I try to do everything either over the phone or on the internet. Once you go in they start playing games with your time.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
My folks bought one via the Costco route, but I don’t think it was a huge discount. One thing about a Subaru is you don’t hear the owner complaining about them much. I drove my folks in snow and it was pretty decent.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
2020 or 2019? Perhaps $2000 on a 2020. $3500+ on a 2019.
Posted By: dassa Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
I've heard that if you wait until the end of the year, they'll throw in a free German Shepherd, and a pair of birkenstocks.
Posted By: Remsen Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
We bought an Outback 3.6 last year and got it for about 80% of MSRP. You can find a lot of current info on pricing here: https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/msrp-invoice-purchase-price-thread.158858/page-364. Helped me a lot in knowing when there was still likely room to negotiate.

By the way, if you can find one with the 3.6 6 cylinder, it's a very solid engine. Ours isn't a drag racer but it will cruise really nicely and will get about 30 mpg freeway if you're below 80 mph. I drove one with a 2.5 four and it was barely able to get out of its own way.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
We see a lot of them come thru the college automotive program for repair...

Interference engine, plenty of head gaskets that need replacing... timing belt system is a nightmare...

most of these are owned by college personnel on campus...

we've had three in the last week, that are sitting over there, waiiting for the owners to decide what to do with them....

blown engines, due to timing belts going out... one timing belt failure the other two, have a pulley fail, causing the timing belt to be thrown out of time... bending valves and blowning engine...

two weeks ago, two others in there with blown head gaskets, and the Les Bos who own them kept driving them until they overheated....two more blown motors...

This isn't a common thing of that many coming in with shot engines...in such a short period of time...

but working on some of them with the students... I wouldn't buy a Soobbie, unless counting of trading it off at 100K or less...
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
Not much. At least not much of anything in my AO. We got the Costco discount but not much of a break seemingly because in my area we're only the second in sales to Colorado Springs for the USA top seller of Uberues.

The Fooker is as big as my '88 four door FJ62 Landcruiser but we can infiltrate Liberal crapholes (they have infiltrated close by) much better than my F250.

Kinda sucks but when I was away (like twenty years) the not desirable Cali folks made an infestation.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
Seafire, were the Subarus with blown timing belts, beyond the recommended replacement mileage?

If there was one thing I learned briefly working in the front end of a dealership service center, it was much better to replace the timing chain/belt on schedule, than gamble and keep driving because you didn't want to replace the chain/belt. If you thought replacing tthe chain/belt was expensive, hokey dina, wait until you see the cost of repairing your engine when a chain/belt broke.

I'm a big believer in following maintenance schedules. I seldom have problems. I have driven Toyotas and Fords. We almost bought a Forester in 2009, but went with a RAV4 V6 AWD Limited instead.

IMO, I much prefer the Forester over the Outback, mainly due to the ease of ingress/egress and seating position.
Posted By: johnw Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
I bought a 2019 outback in February. Sticker on the base price unit was 26500. Went out the door having paid 24500 including tax, license, and title.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
My uncle bought a Subaru when they first started importing them into the US, liked it so well he never bought anything but Subarus.
Posted By: bugs4 Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
Originally Posted by dassa
I've heard that if you wait until the end of the year, they'll throw in a free German Shepherd, and a pair of birkenstocks.

Also a free starbucks coffee with a tofu sandwich
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
Look at what Taxi Drivers use in NYC and it ain't a POS Subaru... Hint
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
Originally Posted by RMerta
So my wife and I are about to buy a Subaru Outback. To those that have bought theirs new what can a guy figure to knock of the sticker price?
No trade in. Paying cash.
Thanks

Make sure you buy the wife a set of comfortable shoes and flannel shirts from LL Bean...
Posted By: slumlord Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Hell yeah...you tell em!!

Crown Vic

I'm sure your post will sway him, I'll help.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
Since Subaru can sell more cars than they build,discounts are not large, but you should get a couple thousand $ off the sticker. I think Subaru has always had an MSRP closer to the real world than many other manufacturers. My wife has had 4 Outbacks going back to the 90's. Over a 100k on each, virtually no mechanical issues. The salt does start to get to them after a few years.
Should add that they have all had the 2.5L engine. It has adequate power and an excellent history for durability. A test drive might be worth your while to help cut thru the bs.
I stick with F150's, and the Subaru makes a good combination for life here in western NY.
Posted By: WVGuy Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
I bought one about 18 months ago. I got about 15% off the sticker price. This is my third Subaru. I pounded almost 200,000 on the older ones. I am not sure about this one.

I can agree with the mileage and power in the six cylinder. This motor has a timing chain so no issue with the belt.

The outback is way roomer than my 2003 model.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Hell yeah...you tell em!!

Crown Vic

I'm sure your post will sway him, I'll help.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Prius, Toyota Highlander for starters
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
Are you moving to Oregon or something.? Fugg a Subaru,
Crown Vic on 22s is pretty nifty.
Posted By: MD521 Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
Check with Consumer Reports. They list actual cost, discounts and dealer holdback.
Posted By: driggy Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
I got a 15 and it's been pretty reliable so far. Batteries are crap. Also, don't get the extended warranty right away. You can get it from any dealer and you can pit them against each other. When my daughter decided to buy her leased Impeza(sp) , that is what we did. I got the contact info of a dealership on the East Coast and we also contacted the dealership in Lincoln. Got the best offer from each we ended up getting the extended warranty for $1 over the dealerships cost.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
V6 Subaru engine, No it is a flat 6. Timing chains on later models have no recommended replacement schedule.
I started working on the Scoobie Do in 1978 at the highest volume Subaru dealership in the USA. That was Continental Motor Co. in Anchorage, Ak.
By some people on this forum a very great amount of folks in Alaska, Colorado, and other cold weather states are queer.
I have to stifle my chuckles reading some of these thread posts.
I think what's even funnier is telling someone that used to own one and had all sorts of issues with it that it is a fine well engineered vehicle.

That is Rich
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19

Honda or Toyota...........

No Lesbaru in my garage..........

Posted By: RickyD Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I don't have much idea, just wanted to comment that Wifey got a 014 Crosstrek last year. We had to hunt for one with a 5 speed stick. Most everything we looked at had those CVT, or gumband transmissions. Stick with the regular automatic if you can, and try for a v-6. That box 4 cylinder is a damn pig.
We had an 09 Forrester with the v-6 and a five speed that had 270 thousand miles with no trouble other than a new clutch at 225000! Them Subies run almost forever, but I miss the power and torque of the 6 popper.
Good luck.
7mm

I've got a 4 cyclinder Toyota Rav 4 automatic and beat my Gf's 2015 Dodge Challenger with a Hemi 5 or 6 speed manual in about 1/8 mile which is as far as we could go without missing our turns. I agree about the CVT trannies. That's why I bought Toyota. No CVT.

on a lighter note

Posted By: tzone Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19

LMAO. They're still driving 2002 Crown Vic's.
Originally Posted by WVGuy
I bought one about 18 months ago. I got about 15% off the sticker price. This is my third Subaru. I pounded almost 200,000 on the older ones. I am not sure about this one.

I can agree with the mileage and power in the six cylinder. This motor has a timing chain so no issue with the belt.

Good....because they're blowing up left and left in OR. They're all parked at the tech school if you need a look.
Posted By: Quak Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
The cvt transmissions they use are very problematic fwiw

Other than that...nice cars and very good in the snow. Subaru as you can imagine is a huge supporter lgbt fwiw
Originally Posted by tzone

Good....because they're blowing up left and left in OR. They're all parked at the tech school if you need a look.

Did you move to Oregon?
Originally Posted by RickyD

Did you move to Oregon?

WTF you talkin about?
Good luck.
7mm

I've got a 4 cyclinder Toyota Rav 4 automatic and beat my Gf's 2015 Dodge Challenger with a Hemi 5 or 6 speed manual in about 1/8 mile which is as far as we could go without missing our turns. I agree about the CVT trannies. That's why I bought Toyota. No CVT.

You must have put 5.13 gears in your Yota .
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

Do Lesbians come standard or is that an option?

LMAO. They're still driving 2002 Crown Vic's.

Not. Crown Vics have mostly been replaced by Prius , Camry Hybrids , Toyota Highlander Hybrids. Not many Subaru Taxis .

CVT transmission and a Turbo what could possibly go wrong?
Posted By: 79S Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19

Lol
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
Originally Posted by Seafire

Interference engine, plenty of head gaskets that need replacing... timing belt system is a nightmare...

we've had three in the last week, that are sitting over there, waiiting for the owners to decide what to do with them....

blown engines, due to timing belts going out... one timing belt failure the other two, have a pulley fail, causing the timing belt to be thrown out of time... bending valves and blowning engine...

two weeks ago, two others in there with blown head gaskets, and the Les Bos who own them kept driving them until they overheated....two more blown motors...

This isn't a common thing of that many coming in with shot engines...in such a short period of time...

but working on some of them with the students... I wouldn't buy a Soobbie, unless counting of trading it off at 100K or less...

The 2010 I bought cured me forever. Took it in for timing belt replacement at 100k and was told the head gaskets were probably on their last legs, a 3-4k repair. WTF? The old ones with the non-interference engines ran forever, and if they threw the belt, you had them towed in, the belt replaced, and then soldiered on. Fortunately, the ex totalled it before the axe fell.

Next one will be a Honda or Toyota truck.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

For a hood rat maybe.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
2015 Outback, 2.5 four banger, CVT, around 100.000 miles.

It can get out of its own way nicely nicely. Transmission works fine. No service required on the timing belt it does not have. Sticks on corners, go ahead and push it, it's fun. Feels great in the wet.
If your battery looks too small get a bigger one, ours was too weak for the load.
Other than being an overly complicated electrical mess waiting to reveal its true self like all the others, I like it.
And yes, some of the reactions to subs are fun in a goofy, crustacean kind of way.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

Do Lesbians come standard or is that an option?

standard.......no extra charge
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
I heard that most of the guys with quilt avatars drive Subaru's..........
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19

^^ This ^^

Had 2007 Outback. Oil burner and water-leakin' sum-biatch (even after head gasket replacement). Never own another Subaru
Originally Posted by AB2506
Seafire, were the Subarus with blown timing belts, beyond the recommended replacement mileage?

If there was one thing I learned briefly working in the front end of a dealership service center, it was much better to replace the timing chain/belt on schedule, than gamble and keep driving because you didn't want to replace the chain/belt. If you thought replacing tthe chain/belt was expensive, hokey dina, wait until you see the cost of repairing your engine when a chain/belt broke.

I'm a big believer in following maintenance schedules. I seldom have problems. I have driven Toyotas and Fords. We almost bought a Forester in 2009, but went with a RAV4 V6 AWD Limited instead.

IMO, I much prefer the Forester over the Outback, mainly due to the ease of ingress/egress and seating position.

Couldn't tell ya.. we just see the work order, when the vehicle is assigned to the students...

however I think many people really never keep up on the maintenance of a vehicle..

Toyotas and Hondas coming in that seemed to live a hard life, still seem to hold up much better than the Soobies...

one thing good about being a volunteer over at the Program is that if nothing else, you learn about what cars to avoid...

We see a lot of Subarus, due to alot of people owning them on campus.... on the other end, the brand we see the most with all sorts of complicated issues are VW, Audi and BMW products.. which are a real pain in the ass to work on, and usually real spendy... Toyotas and Hondas are normally fairly cheap to fix..

as to Soobies, we have several students who own WRXs, so they are kind of our Subaru 'experts'....each one I talk to say they wouldn't own another one....due to the repairs and high maintenance they seem to require...

Timing chains would eliminate a lot of problems, but we see a lot of engines gone in the Subarus, due to something else letting loose and then the timing chain jumps timing and immediately get bent valves when the owner tries to drive it home or over to the college.. we have three setting in the parking lot waiting for the owners to come get them.. each with blown engines...and each have just over 200K on them...

probably true... for some reason, after I got the quilt avatar.. I went out and picked up a Subaru...
I don't drive it, but for some reason, having the quilt avatar made me feel I needed a Subaru...

but then like many of us guys... I'm a les Bian in a man's body...
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19

probably true... for some reason, after I got the quilt avatar.. I went out and picked up a Subaru...
I don't drive it, but for some reason, having the quilt avatar made me feel I needed a Subaru...

but then like many of us guys... I'm a les Bian in a man's body...

How do you like the Birkenstocks? I'm more of a camo Croc person, but wife and daughters love their Birks.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

The 2010 I bought cured me forever. Took it in for timing belt replacement at 100k and was told the head gaskets were probably on their last legs, a 3-4k repair. WTF? The old ones with the non-interference engines ran forever, and if they threw the belt, you had them towed in, the belt replaced, and then soldiered on. Fortunately, the ex totalled it before the axe fell.

Next one will be a Honda or Toyota truck.

I have a Pilot Pappy.. just short of 300K on it and its running strong as ever...

real good vehicle in my opinion.. this one finally dies or wears out, I'll purchase another one to replace it...
Good luck.
7mm

You must have put 5.13 gears in your Yota .

Nope. Stock. I even had it in Eco version and not Sport. That little 4 cylinder is snappy geared to the 6 speed auto. She was shocked. I was too. lol
Originally Posted by AB2506

Couldn't tell ya.. we just see the work order, when the vehicle is assigned to the students...

however I think many people really never keep up on the maintenance of a vehicle..

Toyotas and Hondas coming in that seemed to live a hard life, still seem to hold up much better than the Soobies...

one thing good about being a volunteer over at the Program is that if nothing else, you learn about what cars to avoid...

We see a lot of Subarus, due to alot of people owning them on campus.... on the other end, the brand we see the most with all sorts of complicated issues are VW, Audi and BMW products.. which are a real pain in the ass to work on, and usually real spendy... Toyotas and Hondas are normally fairly cheap to fix..

as to Soobies, we have several students who own WRXs, so they are kind of our Subaru 'experts'....each one I talk to say they wouldn't own another one....due to the repairs and high maintenance they seem to require...

Timing chains would eliminate a lot of problems, but we see a lot of engines gone in the Subarus, due to something else letting loose and then the timing chain jumps timing and immediately get bent valves when the owner tries to drive it home or over to the college.. we have three setting in the parking lot waiting for the owners to come get them.. each with blown engines...and each have just over 200K on them...

Someone has to get the men coffee ...
you looking for a job? Try Starbucks....they'll let you get other people coffee....

We had a dog that was alwaysoutdoors when I was a kid....no one let him in the house, because he alwayssmelledlikeaskunk.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

For a hood rat maybe.

Like driving a cloud. Smooth as the prom queen's thighs.
Posted By: WTF Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
Originally Posted by tikkanut

on a lighter note

Hey look, they're caucasian dogs.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
They have a nice YouTube ad about rescuing injured or crippled shelter pets. I wouldn't buy a Subaru but I appreciate their commitment to animals that need a home.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
175000 miles on our Forrester....sticks to the road.
Posted By: RMerta Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/15/19
Thanks a bunch for all the responses! It’s been fun!
Thanks
Randy
Posted By: whelennut Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/16/19
I bought a brand new one in 1983. It had a manual transmission and got around 30 mpg.
Much better in snow than my
1975 Dodge Van V8 with Rwd
I kept it for 9 years and when I ran an ad in the paper to sell it I had 3 people in the driveway who all wanted to buy it. My son lives in Madison Wisconsin and he says they are very popular. He bought a new one and loves it.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/16/19
Sis bought two one for kid one for her. Hubby drives a Lexus SUV. No probs w the Subarus yet.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/16/19

But, wait. They are "made with love."
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/16/19
Timing belt Subaru recommends replacing at 105,000 miles, two head gaskets laying on their side.

I wish they woulda gone to a regular inline four with a timing chain like everbody else, by now those four-bangers are so well worked out they’re bulletproof.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/16/19
I don't own one and have never driven one. With that being said, my son has an Allstate Insurance Company in the east End of Louisville, KY. He says he insures more Subarus with over 300,000 miles on them than any other two brands combined. He thinks most of them are hand me downs to college kids by parents who have replaced them with another Subaru.
Posted By: ttpoz Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/16/19
My concern with a new Subaru was mentioned by someone else earlier in the thread: I've not heard of a long lasting CVT transmission. Does anybody know of a CVT trans that has given 300k trouble free miles? I have the same reservation with many of the new cars like Hondas, Nissans, etc.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by ttpoz
My concern with a new Subaru was mentioned by someone else earlier in the thread: I've not heard of a long lasting CVT transmission. Does anybody know of a CVT trans that has given 300k trouble free miles? I have the same reservation with many of the new cars like Hondas, Nissans, etc.

CVT from any manufacturer will never have the reliablity of a good old fashioned automatic. I bet there is not a Subaru made with 300k(Laugh) that has a CVT . The fact they added a Turbo to an engine that is famous for head gasket issues is icing on the cake.

I would not buy any Honda or any vehicle for that manufacturer that is running a CVT and especially a Turbo. These are not the 70's and 80's model Subarus that were simple and reliable.
Posted By: WAM Re: Buying a Subaru - 10/16/19
Most Subies around here are sporting faded Bernie 2016 or Warren 2020 bumper stickers. Fugg them and the Subaru they rode in on.
© 24hourcampfire