Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
RMerta Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
So my wife and I are about to buy a Subaru Outback. To those that have bought theirs new what can a guy figure to knock of the sticker price?
No trade in. Paying cash.
Thanks

GB1

R
RMerta Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I love to haggle and have no issues wheeling and dealing. I’m all about getting the best price.
Thanks

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You want to ask the guys on here about a lezmobile?!??!

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Call as many dealers as feasible, and tell them you’re taking delivery 10/31. If any are close to a month-end sales goal, they’ll let some crazy deals go through to get their numbers.

If you were in, say, Kokomo, you could hit the dealers in Lafayette, Indy, & Ft. Wayne. The potential savings would be totally worth the drive.

Good Lick,

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have much idea, just wanted to comment that Wifey got a 014 Crosstrek last year. We had to hunt for one with a 5 speed stick. Most everything we looked at had those CVT, or gumband transmissions. Stick with the regular automatic if you can, and try for a v-6. That box 4 cylinder is a damn pig.
We had an 09 Forrester with the v-6 and a five speed that had 270 thousand miles with no trouble other than a new clutch at 225000! Them Subies run almost forever, but I miss the power and torque of the 6 popper.
Good luck.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If you buy a car through Costco you get a pretty good no hassle deal.

Otherwise, pit the dealers against each other just like FC said. Buying one off the lot can often get you a better deal.

I try to do everything either over the phone or on the internet. Once you go in they start playing games with your time.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My folks bought one via the Costco route, but I don’t think it was a huge discount. One thing about a Subaru is you don’t hear the owner complaining about them much. I drove my folks in snow and it was pretty decent.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
2020 or 2019? Perhaps $2000 on a 2020. $3500+ on a 2019.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've heard that if you wait until the end of the year, they'll throw in a free German Shepherd, and a pair of birkenstocks.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We bought an Outback 3.6 last year and got it for about 80% of MSRP. You can find a lot of current info on pricing here: https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/msrp-invoice-purchase-price-thread.158858/page-364. Helped me a lot in knowing when there was still likely room to negotiate.

By the way, if you can find one with the 3.6 6 cylinder, it's a very solid engine. Ours isn't a drag racer but it will cruise really nicely and will get about 30 mpg freeway if you're below 80 mph. I drove one with a 2.5 four and it was barely able to get out of its own way.

Last edited by Remsen; 10/14/19.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We see a lot of them come thru the college automotive program for repair...

Interference engine, plenty of head gaskets that need replacing... timing belt system is a nightmare...

most of these are owned by college personnel on campus...

we've had three in the last week, that are sitting over there, waiiting for the owners to decide what to do with them....

blown engines, due to timing belts going out... one timing belt failure the other two, have a pulley fail, causing the timing belt to be thrown out of time... bending valves and blowning engine...

two weeks ago, two others in there with blown head gaskets, and the Les Bos who own them kept driving them until they overheated....two more blown motors...

This isn't a common thing of that many coming in with shot engines...in such a short period of time...

but working on some of them with the students... I wouldn't buy a Soobbie, unless counting of trading it off at 100K or less...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not much. At least not much of anything in my AO. We got the Costco discount but not much of a break seemingly because in my area we're only the second in sales to Colorado Springs for the USA top seller of Uberues.

The Fooker is as big as my '88 four door FJ62 Landcruiser but we can infiltrate Liberal crapholes (they have infiltrated close by) much better than my F250.

Kinda sucks but when I was away (like twenty years) the not desirable Cali folks made an infestation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seafire, were the Subarus with blown timing belts, beyond the recommended replacement mileage?

If there was one thing I learned briefly working in the front end of a dealership service center, it was much better to replace the timing chain/belt on schedule, than gamble and keep driving because you didn't want to replace the chain/belt. If you thought replacing tthe chain/belt was expensive, hokey dina, wait until you see the cost of repairing your engine when a chain/belt broke.

I'm a big believer in following maintenance schedules. I seldom have problems. I have driven Toyotas and Fords. We almost bought a Forester in 2009, but went with a RAV4 V6 AWD Limited instead.

IMO, I much prefer the Forester over the Outback, mainly due to the ease of ingress/egress and seating position.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a 2019 outback in February. Sticker on the base price unit was 26500. Went out the door having paid 24500 including tax, license, and title.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My uncle bought a Subaru when they first started importing them into the US, liked it so well he never bought anything but Subarus.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by dassa
I've heard that if you wait until the end of the year, they'll throw in a free German Shepherd, and a pair of birkenstocks.

Also a free starbucks coffee with a tofu sandwich

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Look at what Taxi Drivers use in NYC and it ain't a POS Subaru... Hint

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RMerta
So my wife and I are about to buy a Subaru Outback. To those that have bought theirs new what can a guy figure to knock of the sticker price?
No trade in. Paying cash.
Thanks

Make sure you buy the wife a set of comfortable shoes and flannel shirts from LL Bean...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Look at what Taxi Drivers use in NYC and it ain't a POS Subaru... Hint

Hell yeah...you tell em!!

Crown Vic

I'm sure your post will sway him, I'll help.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since Subaru can sell more cars than they build,discounts are not large, but you should get a couple thousand $ off the sticker. I think Subaru has always had an MSRP closer to the real world than many other manufacturers. My wife has had 4 Outbacks going back to the 90's. Over a 100k on each, virtually no mechanical issues. The salt does start to get to them after a few years.
Should add that they have all had the 2.5L engine. It has adequate power and an excellent history for durability. A test drive might be worth your while to help cut thru the bs.
I stick with F150's, and the Subaru makes a good combination for life here in western NY.

Last edited by fishdog52; 10/15/19.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.