Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
We see a lot of them come thru the college automotive program for repair...

Interference engine, plenty of head gaskets that need replacing... timing belt system is a nightmare...

most of these are owned by college personnel on campus...

we've had three in the last week, that are sitting over there, waiiting for the owners to decide what to do with them....

blown engines, due to timing belts going out... one timing belt failure the other two, have a pulley fail, causing the timing belt to be thrown out of time... bending valves and blowning engine...

two weeks ago, two others in there with blown head gaskets, and the Les Bos who own them kept driving them until they overheated....two more blown motors...

This isn't a common thing of that many coming in with shot engines...in such a short period of time...

but working on some of them with the students... I wouldn't buy a Soobbie, unless counting of trading it off at 100K or less...

The 2010 I bought cured me forever. Took it in for timing belt replacement at 100k and was told the head gaskets were probably on their last legs, a 3-4k repair. WTF? The old ones with the non-interference engines ran forever, and if they threw the belt, you had them towed in, the belt replaced, and then soldiered on. Fortunately, the ex totalled it before the axe fell.

Next one will be a Honda or Toyota truck.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Crown Vic on 22s is pretty nifty.

For a hood rat maybe.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2015 Outback, 2.5 four banger, CVT, around 100.000 miles.

It can get out of its own way nicely nicely. Transmission works fine. No service required on the timing belt it does not have. Sticks on corners, go ahead and push it, it's fun. Feels great in the wet.
If your battery looks too small get a bigger one, ours was too weak for the load.
Other than being an overly complicated electrical mess waiting to reveal its true self like all the others, I like it.
And yes, some of the reactions to subs are fun in a goofy, crustacean kind of way.

Last edited by 5thShock; 10/15/19. Reason: I though a comma would be nice
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
You want to ask the guys on here about a lezmobile?!??!

Do Lesbians come standard or is that an option?

standard.......no extra charge

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I heard that most of the guys with quilt avatars drive Subaru's..........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interference engine, plenty of head gaskets that need replacing... timing belt system is a nightmare...

^^ This ^^

Had 2007 Outback. Oil burner and water-leakin' sum-biatch (even after head gasket replacement). Never own another Subaru

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AB2506
Seafire, were the Subarus with blown timing belts, beyond the recommended replacement mileage?

If there was one thing I learned briefly working in the front end of a dealership service center, it was much better to replace the timing chain/belt on schedule, than gamble and keep driving because you didn't want to replace the chain/belt. If you thought replacing tthe chain/belt was expensive, hokey dina, wait until you see the cost of repairing your engine when a chain/belt broke.

I'm a big believer in following maintenance schedules. I seldom have problems. I have driven Toyotas and Fords. We almost bought a Forester in 2009, but went with a RAV4 V6 AWD Limited instead.

IMO, I much prefer the Forester over the Outback, mainly due to the ease of ingress/egress and seating position.

Couldn't tell ya.. we just see the work order, when the vehicle is assigned to the students...

however I think many people really never keep up on the maintenance of a vehicle..

Toyotas and Hondas coming in that seemed to live a hard life, still seem to hold up much better than the Soobies...

one thing good about being a volunteer over at the Program is that if nothing else, you learn about what cars to avoid...

We see a lot of Subarus, due to alot of people owning them on campus.... on the other end, the brand we see the most with all sorts of complicated issues are VW, Audi and BMW products.. which are a real pain in the ass to work on, and usually real spendy... Toyotas and Hondas are normally fairly cheap to fix..

as to Soobies, we have several students who own WRXs, so they are kind of our Subaru 'experts'....each one I talk to say they wouldn't own another one....due to the repairs and high maintenance they seem to require...

Timing chains would eliminate a lot of problems, but we see a lot of engines gone in the Subarus, due to something else letting loose and then the timing chain jumps timing and immediately get bent valves when the owner tries to drive it home or over to the college.. we have three setting in the parking lot waiting for the owners to come get them.. each with blown engines...and each have just over 200K on them...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

probably true... for some reason, after I got the quilt avatar.. I went out and picked up a Subaru...
I don't drive it, but for some reason, having the quilt avatar made me feel I needed a Subaru...

but then like many of us guys... I'm a les Bian in a man's body...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

probably true... for some reason, after I got the quilt avatar.. I went out and picked up a Subaru...
I don't drive it, but for some reason, having the quilt avatar made me feel I needed a Subaru...

but then like many of us guys... I'm a les Bian in a man's body...

How do you like the Birkenstocks? I'm more of a camo Croc person, but wife and daughters love their Birks.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
We see a lot of them come thru the college automotive program for repair...

most of these are owned by college personnel on campus...

we've had three in the last week, that are sitting over there, waiiting for the owners to decide what to do with them....

blown engines, due to timing belts going out... one timing belt failure the other two, have a pulley fail, causing the timing belt to be thrown out of time... bending valves and blowning engine...

two weeks ago, two others in there with blown head gaskets, and the Les Bos who own them kept driving them until they overheated....two more blown motors...

This isn't a common thing of that many coming in with shot engines...in such a short period of time...

but working on some of them with the students... I wouldn't buy a Soobbie, unless counting of trading it off at 100K or less...

The 2010 I bought cured me forever. Took it in for timing belt replacement at 100k and was told the head gaskets were probably on their last legs, a 3-4k repair. WTF? The old ones with the non-interference engines ran forever, and if they threw the belt, you had them towed in, the belt replaced, and then soldiered on. Fortunately, the ex totalled it before the axe fell.

Next one will be a Honda or Toyota truck.

I have a Pilot Pappy.. just short of 300K on it and its running strong as ever...

real good vehicle in my opinion.. this one finally dies or wears out, I'll purchase another one to replace it...

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I don't have much idea, just wanted to comment that Wifey got a 014 Crosstrek last year. We had to hunt for one with a 5 speed stick. Most everything we looked at had those CVT, or gumband transmissions. Stick with the regular automatic if you can, and try for a v-6. That box 4 cylinder is a damn pig.
We had an 09 Forrester with the v-6 and a five speed that had 270 thousand miles with no trouble other than a new clutch at 225000! Them Subies run almost forever, but I miss the power and torque of the 6 popper.
Good luck.
7mm

I've got a 4 cyclinder Toyota Rav 4 automatic and beat my Gf's 2015 Dodge Challenger with a Hemi 5 or 6 speed manual in about 1/8 mile which is as far as we could go without missing our turns. I agree about the CVT trannies. That's why I bought Toyota. No CVT.

You must have put 5.13 gears in your Yota .

Nope. Stock. I even had it in Eco version and not Sport. That little 4 cylinder is snappy geared to the 6 speed auto. She was shocked. I was too. lol

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AB2506
Seafire, were the Subarus with blown timing belts, beyond the recommended replacement mileage?

If there was one thing I learned briefly working in the front end of a dealership service center, it was much better to replace the timing chain/belt on schedule, than gamble and keep driving because you didn't want to replace the chain/belt. If you thought replacing tthe chain/belt was expensive, hokey dina, wait until you see the cost of repairing your engine when a chain/belt broke.

I'm a big believer in following maintenance schedules. I seldom have problems. I have driven Toyotas and Fords. We almost bought a Forester in 2009, but went with a RAV4 V6 AWD Limited instead.

IMO, I much prefer the Forester over the Outback, mainly due to the ease of ingress/egress and seating position.

Couldn't tell ya.. we just see the work order, when the vehicle is assigned to the students...

however I think many people really never keep up on the maintenance of a vehicle..

Toyotas and Hondas coming in that seemed to live a hard life, still seem to hold up much better than the Soobies...

one thing good about being a volunteer over at the Program is that if nothing else, you learn about what cars to avoid...

We see a lot of Subarus, due to alot of people owning them on campus.... on the other end, the brand we see the most with all sorts of complicated issues are VW, Audi and BMW products.. which are a real pain in the ass to work on, and usually real spendy... Toyotas and Hondas are normally fairly cheap to fix..

as to Soobies, we have several students who own WRXs, so they are kind of our Subaru 'experts'....each one I talk to say they wouldn't own another one....due to the repairs and high maintenance they seem to require...

Timing chains would eliminate a lot of problems, but we see a lot of engines gone in the Subarus, due to something else letting loose and then the timing chain jumps timing and immediately get bent valves when the owner tries to drive it home or over to the college.. we have three setting in the parking lot waiting for the owners to come get them.. each with blown engines...and each have just over 200K on them...

Someone has to get the men coffee ...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
you looking for a job? Try Starbucks....they'll let you get other people coffee....

We had a dog that was alwaysoutdoors when I was a kid....no one let him in the house, because he alwayssmelledlikeaskunk.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Crown Vic on 22s is pretty nifty.

For a hood rat maybe.

Like driving a cloud. Smooth as the prom queen's thighs.

Camp is where you make it.
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by tikkanut

on a lighter note

Hey look, they're caucasian dogs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They have a nice YouTube ad about rescuing injured or crippled shelter pets. I wouldn't buy a Subaru but I appreciate their commitment to animals that need a home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
175000 miles on our Forrester....sticks to the road.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
R
RMerta Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks a bunch for all the responses! It’s been fun!
Thanks
Randy

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bought a brand new one in 1983. It had a manual transmission and got around 30 mpg.
Much better in snow than my
1975 Dodge Van V8 with Rwd
I kept it for 9 years and when I ran an ad in the paper to sell it I had 3 people in the driveway who all wanted to buy it. My son lives in Madison Wisconsin and he says they are very popular. He bought a new one and loves it.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Sis bought two one for kid one for her. Hubby drives a Lexus SUV. No probs w the Subarus yet.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (444afic, 5sdad, 10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 264mag, 28 invisible), 1,648 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,070
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.