Home
Asking because my son really wants to go there. If you're a graduate of 'MINES", I'd appreciate reading your pro and con comments.

He has been accepted into the engineering programs at seven schools and is waiting to hear from Colorado, Colorado School of Mines, Illinois, and Purdue..
Not a graduate, but I have relatives who are and have worked with people from Mines.

Great school, one of the two best schools in our state, and one of the best educational values in this country.

My cousins son graduated last year. Top notch education & school!
I don’t know if you are aware of it, but pretty “close” to you here in my town, is Dordt University, a small (~ 1300-1500 enrollment), private, liberal arts college, highly rated overall, but with a very strong engineering undergraduate program (B.S.). Strong academics overall.

It is closely associated with the Christian Reformed denomination of the U.S. and Canada but has international and a divergent student body:

Only mention it as it’s high quality and not knowing if your son has pretty much chosen a school yet.

https://www.dordt.edu/academics/undergraduate-programs/4-year-programs/engineering
I'm pushing for K-State 'cause it would be almost free with the in-state tuition and the scholarships that they've offered.

We discovered that if a parent had ever been stationed in Kansas, K-State offers in-state tuition for the service member's children. Fort Leavenworth, Fort Riley, and McConnell AFB are large installation that have a lot of people passing through them at all times.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I'm pushing for K-State 'cause it would be almost free with the in-state tuition and the scholarships that they've offered.

We discovered that if a parent had ever been stationed in Kansas, K-State offers in-state tuition for the service member's children. Fort Leavenworth, Fort Riley, and McConnell AFB are large installation that have a lot of people passing through them at all times.

If two resumes hit my desk, one from Mines, the other from K-State, I know which one goes on the top of the pile, and which one goes someplace in the bottom half....
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

If two resumes hit my desk, one from Mines, the other from K-State, I know which one goes on the top of the pile, and which one goes someplace in the bottom half....

Don't undestand that at all. I have friends that graduated both schools. Each is highly regarded.
My wife and I graduated from CU, but we sent two of our children to Mines. One graduated Chemical Engineering, and the other Petroleum Engineering. A long history of Mines graduates on their mother's side.

Great school! Your son can't go wrong by going to Mines if he wants to pursue a career in engineering. IMHO.

Don't get ,me wrong, I'd like to see him get accepted at CSM 'cause it is sort of the engineering equivalent of an ivy league college. That said, the academic requirements for an engineering degree seem to be about the same across the board.

Which one goes where in the pile?
My oldest son is currently attending Mines for mechanical engineering, he's in his last year. Great school, lots of smart kids and top notch teachers.
It be a great school to have a degree from!
Had an intern from Mines this year. Very impressive
I have worked with numerous grads from there, it sure seems like a good outfit. Another option and a great school for mines is Michigan Tech in Houghton Michigan. I have worked with a boat load of those grads also, its a top notch school.
My son got his ME here in state in Oklahoma. In talking with him, Mines is highly regarded. Not unlike MIT for math. I do have a colleague who's son is graduating Mines this year with a computer engineering degree. Nothing but positive things to say from either of them (father and son).
He wants to go to a school that isn't over a one day drive from Omaha, so Michigan Tech is a little too far.

One of my best friends went to school in Houghton and travels all over the World accessing potential battlefields for wheeled and tracked vehicle mobility. If you know where the vehicles can't go, you can focus your combat power where they can go.
It's a top-notch school. I've worked with graduates from there. All top-notch.
Yes, I too have a good friend graduated from Mines. He's married to my brothers SIL and living next door out in Twin Lakes and about to retire.

Sharp guy.

What strikes me is everyone here knows someone, but no one is one. Hmmmmm. smile
Oops, Thought at first you said "mimes". Carry on....
[Linked Image]

Dad is SO proud!!!
😂
Originally Posted by las
Yes, I too have a good friend graduated from Mines. He's married to my brothers SIL and living next door out in Twin Lakes and about to retire.

Sharp guy.

What strikes me is everyone here knows someone, but no one is one. Hmmmmm. smile

I wonder why?

From their website for entering students:
Average SAT Critical Reading and Math 1380
Average ACT Composite 31
Average GPA 3.8/4.0
He scored a 33 on his ACT, so that might help.

He has an unweighted 4.0 GPA and a weighted GPA above 4.0 because of the extra, 5th, point that can be earned in AP classes.
I work on and off with two young grads from the School of Mines. Both of them are pretty sharp and say they really liked going to school up in Golden.
Originally Posted by kenjs1
[Linked Image]

Dad is SO proud!!!

lolololol
Another great "mines" college is the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology.

If your son wants to be in the engineering fields, the "mines" schools are at the top of the list for getting good jobs. No way I would send my child to a "state u" instead unless it was on an athletic scholarship.
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by las

Sharp guy.

I wonder why?

From their website for entering students:
Average SAT Critical Reading and Math 1380
Average ACT Composite 31
Average GPA 3.8/4.0

What are you Incinerating? 😆
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Another great "mines" college is the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology.

If your son wants to be in the engineering fields, the "mines" schools are at the top of the list for getting good jobs. No way I would send my child to a "state u" instead unless it was on an athletic scholarship.

We visited SDSM, but he didn't care for Rapid City, so he opted not to apply. They are recruiting him, but I don't think that he has any interest in going to school in SD.

He could go to K-State for almost no out of pocket expenses on merit based scholarships or he could go toe Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri S&T , or Nebraska for less than $20K per year out of pocket. I'm not going to think about funding college at CSM, Colorado, Illinois, or Purdue until they actually accept him into their engineering program.

We visited SDSM, but he didn't care for Rapid City, so he opted not to apply. They are recruiting him, but I don't think that he has any interest in going to school in SD.

He could go to K-State for almost no out of pocket expenses on merit based scholarships or he could go toe Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri S&T , or Nebraska for less than $20K per year out of pocket. I'm not going to think about funding college at CSM, Colorado, Illinois, or Purdue until they actually accept him into their engineering program.

Id say do to KSU. And, for God's sake, don't let him be a Jayhawk!!

KSU is no academic slouch, and the bigger factor for post-grad work or employment is how hard he works and his grades. Come out with no debt is HUGE.
I don’t post much but am a CSM alumni. Starting from the baseline that engineering school is tough curriculum at any university, CSM is tilted toward the extreme end of the difficulty spectrum. That’s from my experience as a student and also being involved In recruiting and hiring talent from a number of university’s. Does the your son have an idea of which engineering disciple he wants to pursue? If your son is interested in discussing this in detail send me a PM and we can set up further discussion.
I worked with a few School of Mines engineers and they were top notch. But I could say that about a bunch of engineering schools. McNeese State in Lake Charles may not be so highly regarded, but I worked in Louisiana for a few years and came to feel the same about them. Over the course of my engineering career I came pretty much to the conclusion that if a young person wants to get a quality education he can get it at just about any accredited school.
He wants to go to a school that isn't over a one day drive from Omaha, so Michigan Tech is a little too far.

A youngster like that? Sounds like a good warmup roadtrip. laugh
I didn't go there, I went the Navy route instead but Golden CO is where I was born. I know several people that went there including a cousin. Top notch school. There is a reason it is regarded as highly as it is. One of my cousins got a mechanical engineering degree there and he is now a VP for Treetop Apple Juice.
My nephew is a Professional Mechanical Engineer with a big international firm located in Denver, he also does the new hires. I asked him if he had to do many days on the road for career days recruiting prospects. He said No ,I spend 2 days a year getting everyone I need, I said Colorado School of Mines ? he laughed and said I only hire from SDSM&T they are the best prepared graduates in the country. You asked for imput you got it. MB
SD Mines does an impressive job, especially for being the Second Best Engineering School in South Dakota. #GoJacks
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
My nephew is a Professional Mechanical Engineer with a big international firm located in Denver, he also does the new hires. I asked him if he had to do many days on the road for career days recruiting prospects. He said No ,I spend 2 days a year getting everyone I need, I said Colorado School of Mines ? he laughed and said I only hire from SDSM&T they are the best prepared graduates in the country. You asked for imput you got it. MB

Where did your nephew go?

Colorado School of Mines is the # 1 engineering school in the U.S. Georgia Tech is # 2, My Granddaughter chose Georgia Tech. Bio-Engineering, because of the National Swimming and Diving Center, she is a big time diver, and a 4.0 student, and she is from Colorado.

Rio7

Wouldn’t make any difference to me unless it was a new grad looking for their first job. Then, maybe school would matter, and in some cases the first job can set the career trajectory.

When I review resumes for experienced engineers I don’t care what school they went to. I’m looking at experience, qualifications, drive, work history and expectations. 100 employee consulting firm, other outfits see it different I’m sure.

Personally I’d send my kid to the in-state ABET accredited option or nearly free out of state with scholarships.
Originally Posted by RIO7

Colorado School of Mines is the # 1 engineering school in the U.S. Georgia Tech is # 2, My Granddaughter chose Georgia Tech. Bio-Engineering, because of the National Swimming and Diving Center, she is a big time diver, and a 4.0 student, and she is from Colorado.

Rio7

Does MIT know this?
Interesting, US News & W.R. has CSoM ranked at #46 in the nation for undergrad engineering and #59 for graduate engineering. MIT is #1.

Rio7

laugh laugh
At least 15 of my former runners attend/attended mines. It is a fantastic school. Everyone of my kids had multiple well paying job offers before they graduated. I have kids all over the world working and doing wonderful. You cannot go wrong attending Mines if you want to be an engineer. However, everyone of my former runners would tell you if you go to Mines you won't have the same kind of college experience other engineering schools afford, in other words a social life. the place is demanding and all business.
Not a graduate, but I have relatives who are and have worked with people from Mines.

Great school, one of the two best schools in our state, and one of the best educational values in this country.

This ^^^
Lots of locals here with eng degrees from WSU and Montana State...both locations are recruited actively by the eng firm, oil major and pipeline where I've worked. Must be something in the water. Worked with one each Colorado mines and SD mines graduates...good hands both. I highly doubt the Mines coursework is an order of magnitude more demanding or time consuming than that of a decent State school as implied two posts above - I know that I spent a lot of time closing down the library at Montana State. Maybe that's an indictment of my own ability. Engineering coursework plus a varsity sport or working substantial hours is going to put a big ding in anyone's social life.

Had a boss who got his degree from the merchant marine academy, and worked with another guy with same - that seemed like an exceptional program for mech eng in a heavy industry setting. Not sure if that's still the case.

Rio7

Sounds like quite a grand daughter! Good for her.

What organization’s National Swimming and Diving Center is that?
Originally Posted by ironbender

Ironbender my nephew went thru the Mechanical Engineering program at the University of North Carolina and rec. his BS in Mech Eng. there. My brother was stationed on the East coast at the time serving in the US Army, Medical Service Corp, doing construction Management for military hospitals and medical facilities he served 24 years.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Ironbender my nephew went thru the Mechanical Engineering program at the University of North Carolina and rec. his BS in Mech Eng. there. My brother was stationed on the East coast at the time serving in the US Army, Medical Service Corp, doing construction Management for military hospitals and medical facilities he served 24 years.

Thanks for the reply, bob. I thought perhaps SDSM&T was the nephews alma. smile
I know two CSM grads and always viewed it as a high-end school. Why the dislike?
[quote=260Remguy]I'm pushing for K-State 'cause it would be almost free with the in-state tuition and the scholarships that they've offered

Great school for a number of majors. Wife and I graduated from there many moons ago.
In a long career with a major corporation, I ended up as the manager of a mining business. I did not have a mining degree. But some of my employees came from Mich Tech and some from SD school of mines. From a technical standpoint, both were competent on technical issues. When hiring, other than hiring for their first job, the school they went to was only a part of what I considered. Past accomplishments at work, communication skills, perceived leadership capability, goals and other factors were important considerations.

I have some old pottery from there.....can be quite pricey !
I have worked with good and bad engineers from all over the country. Bad ones from my school and even MIT. Some odd ones from Mines. Tamu, odder still. Some colossal duds from GaTech. Some terrific ones from places you’d never expect.

The benefit of the school, to me, is its industry connections. After that, it’s all about the kid. So go where the money is.
Originally Posted by dale06
communication skills

Is this thread still about engineers?

Ducking and running for cover. grin

I'm no expert on higher learning , you all may be right,what i said is what the chairman of the board of Georgia Tech, told me while we were Quail hunting last winter. I've hunted with Georgia Tech Alumni, 2 times a year for 15 years
My Grand daughter is a student at Georgia Tech, and I am very proud of her. Rio7
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
communication skills

When I took the GRE (graduate record exam) many years ago there were three scores. They were quantitative, verbal and analytical if I remember right. Sure enough my verbal score was the lowest. Nevertheless I didn't feel too bad about it. You see, along with my scores the testing service provided a score breakdown for the whole group that took the same test. My verbal score was more than 100 points higher than the average verbal score for those who indicated they were going to grad school for English/Literature/Journalism.
Purdue as you know has one of the best engineering schools. Colorado school of Mines is excellent too. Good problem to have. Obviously did a great job raising your son!

My niece just graduated from MIT with a biomedical engineering degree and she spoke highly of Purdue and Colorado School of mines.

Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
communication skills

If I’m hiring, communication for an engineering position is critical.
The smartest engineer is not worth much if he can’t communicate with us non engineers. And that would include verbal, written and listening.

Our oldest girl was offered a full ride to SDSMT. She loves the ‘hills and really liked the school but her boyfriend wanted to go to UNL and so that’s what she did too and got her MBA in business/marketing. She now works part-time for a local sports group.
© 24hourcampfire