Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by RIO7

Colorado School of Mines is the # 1 engineering school in the U.S. Georgia Tech is # 2, My Granddaughter chose Georgia Tech. Bio-Engineering, because of the National Swimming and Diving Center, she is a big time diver, and a 4.0 student, and she is from Colorado.

Rio7

laugh laugh

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
At least 15 of my former runners attend/attended mines. It is a fantastic school. Everyone of my kids had multiple well paying job offers before they graduated. I have kids all over the world working and doing wonderful. You cannot go wrong attending Mines if you want to be an engineer. However, everyone of my former runners would tell you if you go to Mines you won't have the same kind of college experience other engineering schools afford, in other words a social life. the place is demanding and all business.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Not a graduate, but I have relatives who are and have worked with people from Mines.

Great school, one of the two best schools in our state, and one of the best educational values in this country.

This ^^^

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Lots of locals here with eng degrees from WSU and Montana State...both locations are recruited actively by the eng firm, oil major and pipeline where I've worked. Must be something in the water. Worked with one each Colorado mines and SD mines graduates...good hands both. I highly doubt the Mines coursework is an order of magnitude more demanding or time consuming than that of a decent State school as implied two posts above - I know that I spent a lot of time closing down the library at Montana State. Maybe that's an indictment of my own ability. Engineering coursework plus a varsity sport or working substantial hours is going to put a big ding in anyone's social life.

Had a boss who got his degree from the merchant marine academy, and worked with another guy with same - that seemed like an exceptional program for mech eng in a heavy industry setting. Not sure if that's still the case.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RIO7

Colorado School of Mines is the # 1 engineering school in the U.S. Georgia Tech is # 2, My Granddaughter chose Georgia Tech. Bio-Engineering, because of the National Swimming and Diving Center, she is a big time diver, and a 4.0 student, and she is from Colorado.
Rio7

Sounds like quite a grand daughter! Good for her.

What organization’s National Swimming and Diving Center is that?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
My nephew is a Professional Mechanical Engineer with a big international firm located in Denver, he also does the new hires. I asked him if he had to do many days on the road for career days recruiting prospects. He said No ,I spend 2 days a year getting everyone I need, I said Colorado School of Mines ? he laughed and said I only hire from SDSM&T they are the best prepared graduates in the country. You asked for imput you got it. MB

Where did your nephew go?

Ironbender my nephew went thru the Mechanical Engineering program at the University of North Carolina and rec. his BS in Mech Eng. there. My brother was stationed on the East coast at the time serving in the US Army, Medical Service Corp, doing construction Management for military hospitals and medical facilities he served 24 years.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender
My nephew is a Professional Mechanical Engineer with a big international firm located in Denver, he also does the new hires. I asked him if he had to do many days on the road for career days recruiting prospects. He said No ,I spend 2 days a year getting everyone I need, I said Colorado School of Mines ? he laughed and said I only hire from SDSM&T they are the best prepared graduates in the country. You asked for imput you got it. MB

Where did your nephew go?

Ironbender my nephew went thru the Mechanical Engineering program at the University of North Carolina and rec. his BS in Mech Eng. there. My brother was stationed on the East coast at the time serving in the US Army, Medical Service Corp, doing construction Management for military hospitals and medical facilities he served 24 years.

Thanks for the reply, bob. I thought perhaps SDSM&T was the nephews alma. smile
I know two CSM grads and always viewed it as a high-end school. Why the dislike?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
[quote=260Remguy]I'm pushing for K-State 'cause it would be almost free with the in-state tuition and the scholarships that they've offered

Great school for a number of majors. Wife and I graduated from there many moons ago.
In a long career with a major corporation, I ended up as the manager of a mining business. I did not have a mining degree. But some of my employees came from Mich Tech and some from SD school of mines. From a technical standpoint, both were competent on technical issues. When hiring, other than hiring for their first job, the school they went to was only a part of what I considered. Past accomplishments at work, communication skills, perceived leadership capability, goals and other factors were important considerations.

Last edited by dale06; 04/29/20.

NRA Patron
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Another great "mines" college is the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology.

If your son wants to be in the engineering fields, the "mines" schools are at the top of the list for getting good jobs. No way I would send my child to a "state u" instead unless it was on an athletic scholarship.

I have some old pottery from there.....can be quite pricey !

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have worked with good and bad engineers from all over the country. Bad ones from my school and even MIT. Some odd ones from Mines. Tamu, odder still. Some colossal duds from GaTech. Some terrific ones from places you’d never expect.

The benefit of the school, to me, is its industry connections. After that, it’s all about the kid. So go where the money is.

Last edited by turkish; 04/29/20.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06
communication skills

Is this thread still about engineers?

Ducking and running for cover. grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I'm no expert on higher learning , you all may be right,what i said is what the chairman of the board of Georgia Tech, told me while we were Quail hunting last winter. I've hunted with Georgia Tech Alumni, 2 times a year for 15 years
My Grand daughter is a student at Georgia Tech, and I am very proud of her. Rio7

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
communication skills

When I took the GRE (graduate record exam) many years ago there were three scores. They were quantitative, verbal and analytical if I remember right. Sure enough my verbal score was the lowest. Nevertheless I didn't feel too bad about it. You see, along with my scores the testing service provided a score breakdown for the whole group that took the same test. My verbal score was more than 100 points higher than the average verbal score for those who indicated they were going to grad school for English/Literature/Journalism.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Purdue as you know has one of the best engineering schools. Colorado school of Mines is excellent too. Good problem to have. Obviously did a great job raising your son!

My niece just graduated from MIT with a biomedical engineering degree and she spoke highly of Purdue and Colorado School of mines.

Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Another great "mines" college is the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology.

If your son wants to be in the engineering fields, the "mines" schools are at the top of the list for getting good jobs. No way I would send my child to a "state u" instead unless it was on an athletic scholarship.

We visited SDSM, but he didn't care for Rapid City, so he opted not to apply. They are recruiting him, but I don't think that he has any interest in going to school in SD.

He could go to K-State for almost no out of pocket expenses on merit based scholarships or he could go toe Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri S&T , or Nebraska for less than $20K per year out of pocket. I'm not going to think about funding college at CSM, Colorado, Illinois, or Purdue until they actually accept him into their engineering program.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
communication skills

If I’m hiring, communication for an engineering position is critical.
The smartest engineer is not worth much if he can’t communicate with us non engineers. And that would include verbal, written and listening.

NRA Patron
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

We visited SDSM, but he didn't care for Rapid City, so he opted not to apply. They are recruiting him, but I don't think that he has any interest in going to school in SD.

He could go to K-State for almost no out of pocket expenses on merit based scholarships or he could go toe Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri S&T , or Nebraska for less than $20K per year out of pocket. I'm not going to think about funding college at CSM, Colorado, Illinois, or Purdue until they actually accept him into their engineering program.

Our oldest girl was offered a full ride to SDSMT. She loves the ‘hills and really liked the school but her boyfriend wanted to go to UNL and so that’s what she did too and got her MBA in business/marketing. She now works part-time for a local sports group.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

355 members (17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 345dl, 219 Wasp, 47 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,973
Posts18,519,820
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.