Home
Posted By: gahuntertom Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
One of the industry bellweathers, Sturm, Ruger & Company (NYSE: RGR) reported their third quarter results late yesterday afternoon. As expected, they’re down - like twenty-four percent (24%) for the first three quarters of 2019 compared with 2018.

As has become a longstanding occurrence, however, the company maintained their profitability, returning a dividend of eleven cents per share to investors. It’s not a big return, but it’s certainly better than a notice written in red ink.

Ruger CEO Chris Killoy attributed the Q3 results to continued soft demand - the same that will cause 2019 to be remembered as a slow year for the gun industry. He also made the case that rather than attempt to soften the results via the “aggressive discounting and extension of payment terms” being employed by others, Ruger took the “fiscally prudent measure of reducing production” (for the third consecutive quarter) to moderate inventory levels in the company’s warehouses and in the distribution channel.

Gaming, he noted, works only in the short-term. Ruger, he says “is in it for the long haul.”

Long-term health versus short-term expectations is one of those conundrums that makes me very glad I’m not in the manufacturing side of things. A continued focus on making quarters doesn’t do much toward assuring longevity.

He also noted something important to our discussions this week: one significant impact on Ruger’s numbers has been the loss of a “formerly significant distributor that ultimately filed for bankruptcy protection in June 2019 and the market disruption caused by the liquidation of its inventory of Ruger products.

While buyers are being “cautious” about purchases of new guns, Killoy did report that Ruger’s sales of new products represent $70.6 million - twenty-three percent - of firearms sales in the first nine months of 2019.
Posted By: krupp Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Bring back the Security-Six and i will buy one.
Posted By: DMc Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Originally Posted by krupp

Bring back the boat paddle.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
I think Ruger may be more financially prudent than most manufacturers. It seems most firearms manufacturers don't seem to understand the concept of riding the good times of business and saving for the low times of business. As bad as I hate it, firearms manufacturers are among the worst managed businesses in the manufacturing business with the possible exception of U.S. auto manufacturers.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
I am sure if a democrat gets elected in 2020 sales will explode.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
The big money makers for Ruger has been compact .380s and 9mms. They've sold them by the train loads for many years. Not to mention the 10-22. Lately they have tried to build revenue by tapping into the 1911 and AR-15 market.

They targeted a market, flooded it, and now they're trying to get market share in markets that are already flooded.

Competition is very stiff for pocket 380s, compact 9mms, 1911s, and AR-15s.

I'm not sure what a firearm manufacturer could come out with that would be a big seller at this point.
Posted By: jacare Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
I just bought a stainless RSI No. 1 with great wood. I'm trying to help.
Originally Posted by jacare
I just bought a stainless RSI No. 1 with great wood. I'm trying to help.

This year I've bought four Ruger Precision Rifles, one each in 6.5CM, 5.56, .22LR and 17HMR. I've also bought a Wrangler revolver and a SS Single Six .22 convertible revolver also. Doing what I can to help the Ruger bottom line myself this year. It seems Ruger has brought to market what has caught my eyes this year. I bought the Single Six in case they quit manufacturing them like they did with the 77/22 with the success of the Wrangler they introduced this year. I've also bought a Tirus High Power clone , Victory Smith and Wesson pistol and a Smith and Wesson Shield this year. I'm trying to get myself in position to retire in the next few years and some of you younger guys will have to pick up the cross and bear it in regards to supporting the Firearms manufacturers in the future. wink
Posted By: killerv Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Just waiting on my lgs to get in a 3in lcrx 22lr...and I'm toying with getting one of those m1 carbine 10/22s
Posted By: WranglerJohn Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Truth be known, I own six Ruger products, everything from a 10-22 to a custom built Blackhawk converted to a five shot .480 Ruger revolver, and have owned many others in the past. Thing is that two safes are filled with guns, and while I would fancy buying a few other historical reproductions, prudence tells me I don't need them. The one thing about Ruger, their firearms seem to be trying to outlast me, so unless they come up with something really compelling, I'll not be buying anything new. Sometimes success is it's own competition.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
I think Ruger could have a hit if they took their 9mm carbine, eliminated its takedown feature, and put it in a more traditional stock.

The concept is good. But the product looks clunky as hell.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Sounds like a perfect time to knock the dust off those Ninety - Six and .44 carbine molds to me.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Ruger needs to start making Red Label shotguns again,Ruger # 1`s, and go back to making those fine bolt action wood stock, with the great old Ruger rings and make many different cartridges again,examples of cartridges > 257 Roberts,65.x55 Swede,7mm Mauser,6 mm Remington,222 Rem.,35 calibers, these are what many people want and probably even some other great old cartridges ?
Posted By: copperking81 Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Originally Posted by pete53
Ruger needs to start making Red Label shotguns again,Ruger # 1`s, and go back to making those fine bolt action wood stock, with the great old Ruger rings and make many different cartridges again,examples of cartridges > 257 Roberts,65.x55 Swede,7mm Mauser,6 mm Remington,222 Rem.,these are what many people want and probably even some other great old cartridges ?

Yep. I wish they’d bring back their blued, heavy barreled target rifles, in walnut stocks particularly in .220 Swift. Add .204 as well.
Posted By: TimZ Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Ruger needs to start making Red Label shotguns again,Ruger # 1`s, and go back to making those fine bolt action wood stock, with the great old Ruger rings and make many different cartridges again,examples of cartridges > 257 Roberts,65.x55 Swede,7mm Mauser,6 mm Remington,222 Rem.,these are what many people want and probably even some other great old cartridges ?

Yes, and they need to focus more on the quality of what they are sending out the door...….just had to send a brand new unfired Redhawk in 45 LC back, which makes about the third Ruger handgun in a row that has had to go back for QC issues. For $850 they should be able to produce a handgun with no issues.
Posted By: night_owl Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Ruger and Smith started a price war in the compact auto segment to squeeze out the smaller makers.
Ruger's best mark-up is on the LCR.
Posted By: MD521 Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
I bought a Ruger American Ranch rifle in 7.62X39 and had a problem the first time I went to the range. Somehow I retracted the bolt out of the chamber without it cocking. It would not go back in and I sent it back to be repaired. They said they installed a new firing pin stop. I should get it back soon and hoping it's problem free in the future. Ruger is a good company to deal with.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I think Ruger could have a hit if they took their 9mm carbine, eliminated its takedown feature, and put it in a more traditional stock.

It's also priced too high.
Posted By: JOG Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
Ruger profit down 24%

Ruger sales are down 24%. If Ruger is managed well they're profits could be the same as last year.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
I wonder how Ruger's drop compares to other manufacturers. I have bought my last Ruger due to their schidt QC.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I wonder how Ruger's drop compares to other manufacturers. I have bought my last Ruger due to their schidt QC.

Which Ruger products have bad Q.C.?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Originally Posted by night_owl

How about 45 Colt's with varying under sized throats.
Easily fixable, sure.

But you have been making them for almost 50 flippin years!
It's so bad that fixing them is a standard service for gunsmiths.
To ignore such an easily fixed problem is inexcusable.

Inaccurate Mini-14's? No personal experience here. But that guns
reputation is reliability, in function, and inaccuracy.

How about all the years they made centerfield rifles with poor barrels?
Quality control? Testing?

Old Bill even said "We make hunting rifles, not target guns".
I like people that make the best product feasible.

Take Tikka.
Look at the T3. And how good it was.
A few bolt shrouds broke.
People complained about marks in the lug.

T3x!

Ruger had been F'n up 45's for decades before the T3 came out.
They still haven't changed! (Well, in my 2015)

Ironic, but they appear to be better without the Ruger's.

Bought the girls an American Rimfire
It's a cheap 22. Fine.

The finish isn't nice bluing, the stock is plastic.
Exactly what I expected.

It's a good gun.

Better than my 77/22. In actual use.

Let me do brief chronological run down.

New 10/22 magnum: Failure to extract, slam fire. Had to be sent back.
New M77 6MM: Would not group anything under 2 inches.
New SR22: Failure to function. Took a complete strip down, cleaning and break in to function reliably.
Ruger Charger: Would not function with supplied 15 round mag. Would with 10 rounders
Ruger Hawkeye Predator: Burr on bolt face that had to be sanded down. Scratches the hell out of brass.
Ruger SP101 327 Federal: Very rough stainless finish. Sights adjusted to max and still not on bullseye.
Ruger AR: Magazines would not seat completely. Had to be sent back.
Ruger Predator 22 magnum: Failure to extract with certain brands.
Ruger American Predator 17 HM2: Has a bolt that takes ape strength to close. Takes much more force than its 2 American brethren.

I may be forgetting something.

Standing by for folks to excuse the above.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Originally Posted by Mike_S

As in be destroyed.
Thanks guys. I haven't owned many Rugers myself.
My old Mini-14 really sucked accuracy wise - Ruger pronounced it acceptable.
I also knew about the crappy barrels Ruger used to buy but I thought their general reputation for quality control was excellent.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Originally Posted by RickyD

As in be destroyed.

>>LET`S HOPE TRUMP GETS IN AGAIN ! we can handle poorer gun sales better than a worthless liberal !
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19

So, it would behoove Ruger (and all firearms-related manufacturer) to support democrat candidates?
Posted By: Terryk Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19

I just bought 3 single actions. A 44 mag Blackhawk with 3 3/4 barrel stainless. Crooked front sight, terrible milled trigger guard. Ruger fixed it up correctly. I also bought a year old Turnbull Blackhawk in 45 LC. The previous owner had the throats reamed. I also got a new Bisley 4 5/8 in 44 Special, that one is super nice and smooth. I think the nicest Blackhawk I ever owned.
Not down on Ruger, but this was the last two months for me. I personally would buy another if I had an itch. So I have no regrets.
And categorized as very strange, my 44 had exact same issues as one reviewed on youtube. That guy was super pissed. Another guy sent one in a few times, never really fixed, so they gave him a 480 Blackhawk. Poor that they all had same issues, that speaks of QC.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Originally Posted by 5sdad

So, it would behoove Ruger (and all firearms-related manufacturer) to support democrat candidates?

The moderate ones yes. They're in the business of selling guns and democrats do that.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by 5sdad

The moderate ones yes. They're in the business of selling guns and democrats do that.

It seems that self-interest often has a way of winning out over principle.
I didn't even count 4" 77/44s and Mini 14s in the above QC issues.
Posted By: vapodog Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19

New SR22: Failure to function. Took a complete strip down, cleaning and break in to function reliably.
Ruger Charger: Would not function with supplied 15 round mag. Would with 10 rounders
Ruger Hawkeye Predator: Burr on bolt face that had to be sanded down. Scratches the hell out of brass.
Ruger SP101 327 Federal: Very rough stainless finish. Sights adjusted to max and still not on bullseye.
Ruger American Predator 17 HM2: Has a bolt that takes ape strength to close. Takes much more force than its 2 American brethren.

No flaming from me sir.....I'm not at all a Ruger fan.....a model 77 that failed to feed ammo.....Ruger didn't fix it and I sold it, another m77 with stock warp of extreme nature.....down the road with that one too, a single six convertible that didn't shoot anywhere near the sight adjustments....that one is now a Browning buckmark, A Model 1 with heavy barrel in 6 mm Rem that just barely held a 3" group...returned it to Ruger for repair and not just once.....I was finally told that the accuracy was to Ruger's standards.....that one too is no longer here.....and today there are no Ruger guns in this house.....
Conceptually Ruger products have always appealed to me. Their execution is inexcusable.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Originally Posted by DMc

Bring back the boat paddle.

was in a local gun shop yesterday and a gentleman brought in 8 ruger boat paddle rifle to sell, owner said he would give him $350.00 for the first one he looked at, don't know about the others as I had to leave. too bad I didn't cross paths with him before he went in.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
I have been carrying an LC9 for years.Super reliable at a great price.It just got sidelined for a SS365.I have had good luck with the Ruger single action revolvers.Most of the rifles I had shot decent ,but had a clunky feel to them.Never tried a Ruger American and probably will not as they are butt ugly.Huntz
I didn't even count 4" 77/44s and Mini 14s in the above QC issues.

My Mini-14 was a 5 incher.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
If they’d just come out with a no frills, economy model...😉

Looks like I have been extremely lucky with my Ruger purchases. Looks like you have been extremely unlucky with your Ruger purchases. Odd.
Posted By: killerv Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
all those ruger issues and you still went back for more?!
Other than a first model Mini 14 that sucked for accuracy, I’ve never had a “bad” Ruger. That’s pretty good, I’d say. 1 out of probably 100 over the last 40 years.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Put me down for ending up one out of the box piece of crap 10-22. Supposing that's one in a million from the fandom I read on the campfire.

Pretty much just gave it away to a guy and his kid. For the cost of the weaver scope I had on it.

A dozen different brands of ammo, never could get better than 1-1/2" group at 50 yards.

Last I heard, it was Minute of Tabby for the new owners, so at least they were pleased with it.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Had a number one and an m77 that were both minute of frisbee

But I have had luck with others and i like the company
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Originally Posted by slumlord
Put me down for ending up one out of the box piece of crap 10-22. Supposing that's one in a million from the fandom I read on the campfire.

Pretty much just gave it away to a guy and his kid. For the cost of the weaver scope I had on it.

A dozen different brands of ammo, never could get better than 1-1/2" group at 50 yards.

Last I heard, it was Minute of Tabby for the new owners, so at least they were pleased with it.

I was in the Scheels store in Sioux Falls. This guy wanted some .22 ammo and the worker was opening the case where the ammo was. There was a lively discussion between worker and customer until the worker asked he wanted the ammo for. "Cats." Total silence ensued.

We are in for a recession later next year. My financial advisor doesn't think so, our CEO doesn't either but I sure do. Hopefully I can help Ruger stay profitable.
Originally Posted by killerv
all those ruger issues and you still went back for more?!

That's the way us fan boys are. Dumping them was hard to do.
I've had 50% results with Rugers. I should say all worked, but half weren't very accurate.
Posted By: whelennut Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
I remember ordering an XGI .243 and one in .308
Basically big Mini 14's. Bill decided not to produce
I was dissapointed. They would have made good deer rifles for the wife and kids.
Posted By: Lennie Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
I have good success with Ruger. I currently a greater number Rugers than my age divided by two. I have had a few issues that were all resolved.

I have owned a few mini-14's. Suffice it to say, they shot similar to any other military type firearm and reliability was excellent

I no longer own any S&Ws. Many folks have had great luck with brand but my luck was about 50%.

I no longer own any Remington stuff. Extractor, safety issues and silver soldered on bolt handles cured me of that brand.

Other brands I currently own, Glock, Sig, Tika, Colt, Rock River, High Standard, Freedom Arms, Benelli, Howa, Primary Weapons, Arsenal and many more.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
I’ve owned four #1 rifles, three 77/22s, several 77 centerfires, and three shotguns. Still have one 77 centerfire that’s been rebarreled, trigger altered and other work. It’s a 1” gun on a good day. All of the others were terrible accuracy wise.
You couldn’t give me another ruger.
Oh, the Ruger 96's I have are killer. Forgot about those.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Say what you will, Ruger is probably the only firearms company that has not gone bankrupt in the last few decades. It's a lousy industry. Cars, for instance, wear out every few years. Guns don't. Except for us loonies, most people don't buy very many guns. Hunting is a major market and there are fewer hunters every year. CCW and "tacticool" are major markets now but for how long until they become saturated?

I own only about 1/3 as many guns as I owned 20 years ago and no Rugers. If I don't shoot 'em, why keep 'em?
Posted By: jk16 Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/08/19
Originally Posted by Bristoe

It's also priced too high.

If they illiminated the features the OP listed - it would be a lot cheaper ro make.

The Ruger 9mm would be a tremendous seller if it were only about $100 more than a synthetic stocked Ruger 10/22.. .Somewhere in the $300 to $325 street price range.
For a home defense /utility gun I do not want or need the takedown feature and its attendent problems.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/09/19
Ruger has a weird corporate culture. They're trying to kill the 77 with the American. The SR-series pistols sold so they replaced them with the cheaper American and Security Nine, which haven't. They cheapened the LC9 into the EC9. The Wrangler will kill the Single Six. The LCR will be the death knell of the Sp101.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/09/19
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Ruger has a weird corporate culture. They're trying to kill the 77 with the American. The SR-series pistols sold so they replaced them with the cheaper American and Security Nine, which haven't. They cheapened the LC9 into the EC9. The Wrangler will kill the Single Six. The LCR will be the death knell of the Sp101.

I agree with everything you say. I don't so much think it is Ruger's culture as much as they are trying to manufacture what the public is buying. Nice blued guns with nice walnut stocks and slab sided 1911s and Hi powers are quickly going the way of the gray haired men who used to buy them. It's a race to the bottom price break culture these days. I will have to say, I bought my son a $370 American Predator Rifle and it shoots way better than it should for the price. I bought one of the new Wrangler revolvers and liked it so much that I quickly bought a SS Single Six Convertible for the very reason you stated, I'm afraid they will quit making them to free up production line space for the Wrangler. I had a Single six probably 30 years ago and sold it, always wanted another, thought I better get one while I could.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/09/19

Or a Ruger 44 Mag semi-auto carbine. I'd buy one.
Posted By: AU7MM08 Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/09/19
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by UPhiker

I agree with everything you say. I don't so much think it is Ruger's culture as much as they are trying to manufacture what the public is buying. Nice blued guns with nice walnut stocks and slab sided 1911s and Hi powers are quickly going the way of the gray haired men who used to buy them. It's a race to the bottom price break culture these days. I will have to say, I bought my son a $370 American Predator Rifle and it shoots way better than it should for the price.

Several years ago Walmart put Ruger Americans on sale for $200, picked one up for my girlfriend to hunt in 243 and it's a dandy of a rifle for what it is.
Is it super refined and luxurious, nope but she has killed some deer with it and it shoots well with Federal Fusions.
Posted By: 257James Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/09/19
Ruger needs to start making Red Label shotguns again,Ruger # 1`s, and go back to making those fine bolt action wood stock, with the great old Ruger rings and make many different cartridges again,examples of cartridges > 257 Roberts,65.x55 Swede,7mm Mauser,6 mm Remington,222 Rem.,35 calibers, these are what many people want and probably even some other great old cartridges ?

This...........and get rid of the “ Mickey Mouse” floor plate on the Hawkeye
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Ruger profit down 24% - 11/09/19
Guns that have a single point sight, light and laser contained in the main body. No dingle dangles, nothing hanging on. Some new small diameter cartridge giving 20+ rounds capacity and the decision making power of at least the 9. If the monolithic fluted bullet is the real deal, optimize for that.
An integral magazine, quickly manually cycled 5.56 carbine. Just in case.
© 24hourcampfire