Home
My SIL & BIL have retired and been on the road for a few months but will be coming back "home" for the holidays and will continue their travels after Christmas. (They sold house and all) Have anyone here ever done this or knows others that have? The reason I ask is i'm hoping to find a nugget of wisdom for that small something kindof gift that you wished you had or glad you found this, etc. Thanks.
I have always thought this sounds fun, if I had the free time. I think I would go with a towable camper so as to be able to do some exploring that would not be able to be done in a big motorhome
They tow their car with them.
Originally Posted by duckster
I have always thought this sounds fun, if I had the free time. I think I would go with a towable camper so as to be able to do some exploring that would not be able to be done in a big motorhome

You tow a Jeep behind the motorhome silly.
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
My SIL & BIL have retired and been on the road for a few months but will be coming back "home" for the holidays and will continue their travels after Christmas. (They sold house and all) Have anyone here ever done this or knows others that have? The reason I ask is i'm hoping to find a nugget of wisdom for that small something kind of gift that you wished you had or glad you found this, etc. Thanks.

Names and addresses and phone numbers of people that can help them should (God forbid) anything happen and they are in need of something or someone ASAP. People YOU know they could trust. Across the US and Canada. Two copies of said book.

Lynn

I know you have my phone number, but PM'ing you all my info anyways.
We've met several families that have done this in our years of travel trailer camping. It is more common than you can guess. Go to youtube and look it up. Try "Gone with the Winns" for one.
Traveled and lived out for a year once. Sold house, business, put a few things in storage and hit the road. It could have been fun if I hadn't been blind-sided by a predatory bi-polar schitzophrenic bitch from hell.

But I digress.

I enjoyed travelling and stopping wherever I wanted. Lots of freedom in it. Fishing, hiking, camping, hunting coyotes and ground squirrels, riding the quad all over. We're getting more govt oversight in the outdoors every year and freedoms are being eroded, so do it while you can.
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...eda8ce3618c4fd75e10545af&oe=5E88C784
The've moved away from having stuff, so I'd give them pre-paid gift cards that they can use wherever they like. Maybe they just use it to buy food and fuel to keep the adventure going.

Okie John
Lynn, thanks...they got that covered before they took off. They have family and friends in quite a few places. The main I concern I have is she would not be able to drive the motorhome if need be, but like I said previously they do have their car.
They've really downsized their lifestyle. So stuff likely isn't going to help them.

Do you know that direction they are heading after Christmas? Maybe find something in the area they are going to and get them gift cards to go do something there
[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
Guide to Free and Low-Cost Campgrounds in the United States

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
RV Camping in Corps of Engineers Parks: Guide to 644 Campgrounds at 210 Lakes in 34 States
Originally Posted by ro1459
We've met several families that have done this in our years of travel trailer camping. It is more common than you can guess. Go to youtube and look it up. Try gone with the Winns" for one.

The Wynns graduated to a catamaran and just left The Cook Islands. Cruising the World on a sailboat is great fun.
This is our favorite full time RV YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEhJLsShZt8McryMf_DHLZQ

The Gone with the Wynns channel couple sold their last RV a few years ago and are now sailing around the World. Both channels produce very high quality video with outstanding drone footage and consistently interesting content....
waive
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
My SIL & BIL have retired and been on the road for a few months but will be coming back "home" for the holidays and will continue their travels after Christmas. (They sold house and all) Have anyone here ever done this or knows others that have? The reason I ask is i'm hoping to find a nugget of wisdom for that small something kindof gift that you wished you had or glad you found this, etc. Thanks.

I have,several times..If I had my way,I would do it again in a heart beat(like right now).

There is a ton of little stuff for gifts for RVer's they would enjoy or like...From something as simple as "your antenna is still up" placard for those that forget it and drive off with it up to simple indoor outdoor thermometers/faster flow shower heads/wheel covers to keep them from the sun/levels/walkie talkies for backing in a site/refrigerator fan to circulate the air/etc etc...I could go on forever listing helpful little RV things that don't cost much but come in real handy...
a good quality set of highway maps, And a good quality manual compass.

it's for when the power is out, the gps is dead, and to have as a spare.

throw in a circular protractor and a good #2 marking pencil.

it'll be comforting to know it's stashed in the dash.

Get them a gift card for a 100 gallons of diesel fuel from their favorite station, their gonna need it navigating that land yacht around.
It would be fun to do that, go wherever you wanted!

My Dad did it with my Step-Mom for 4 years, just did laps around the country. They loved it.

Gift ideas, really gift cards for food, gas, nationally available stores (WalMart, HomeDepot)
I just started a month ago. The learning curve has been steep.
But it is 80 degrees here in Phoenix and too cold to morning bowhunt for my son back in NE Missouri.
dewalt portable table saw. have em drop it off at my place in their travels.
Roadside assistance subscription.

They'll be usin it even when they don't think they're usin it.
I have know three couples that did the "sell the house and go off in a great adventure in a motorhome" thing and it did not work for any of them. In one case even though they had been happily married for over 40 years when put into a situation where they were in constant close contact it began to erode their marriage. Another couple found out that living day in and day out with minimal items that they had taken for granted was not to their liking. The third couple endured it for about 5 years but then it reached the point where he was no longer capable of safely driving the motorhome and she could not drive it so they had to give it up, this could become a real issue for lots of folks when they reach the point of needing medical care.

But the part that would not work for me is selling a house, which normally appreciates in value, and putting the money into a rolling money pit (a motorhome) something that not only depreciates but requires constant expensive maintenance. At that point what happens is they often end up selling the motorhome fo pennies on the dollar and then either buy another house or go into a nursing home - both options which will cost them more money.

drover
Gift cards are the only thing that they would want from you, when you don't know what they really want.

Maybe an actual picture of yourselves in a magnetic frame that they can stick on the fridge.
Not much to add and extra and I’m glad it works for folks but one thing that shocked me in my recent travels was the nightly cost of full-hookup RV slots in KOA and other RV campgrounds. About like staying in a local motel.
I guarantee I can find motels cheaper than most rv hookups lol.

You might not want to stay in them. But I did when I was young and dumb.

Wife and I considered a trailer for our couple long weekends a year. And decided we were further ahead to go the hotel route or cabin rental. We still occasionally drop a tent of I can guarantee good weather.

I'd love to take off in an RV for an extended period of time.
-Jake
Walmart parking lots are free.
© 24hourcampfire