Home
Posted By: hanco Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
Wifey has a woman working for her that is married to her first cousin. They were married in a state that allows it

Do you know anyone like that?
Jerry Lee Lewis and underage to boot.

DF
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19

Ever been to Utah.............. blush cry grin
Posted By: hanco Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
I forgot about Jerry Lee
Originally Posted by hanco
I forgot about Jerry Lee

Utah?

How about Ferriday, LA. Jerry Lee’s first cousins are Mickey Gilley and Jimmy Swaggart.

Great Balls of Fire!

Ha!

DF
I knew Jerry had famous cousins, can’t see marriage to one.
When I was a kid I had a huge crush on one of my first cousins, and then I got edumicated!
The woman the wife works with has kids. Are mom and dad their aunt and uncle too?
Posted By: efw Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
My grandparents were second cousins...
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
Worked with a City Manager that had his wife and baby at the city Christmas Party...

I was sitting right next to them and she handed me her baby to hold while she rummaged through her baby bag for something. He was a cute little feller, and I said as much.

The city manager's wife said "Yeah, you'd never know we were first cousin's, huh?"

You could have heard a pin drop in there. blush
Posted By: Steve Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
My wife and I are 13th cousins 2 times removed. Share ancestors from the 1600's. Luckily we didn't have any kids. wink
Posted By: shaman Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
Breeding with a 1st cousin does not increase the chances of genetic disorders all that much. It would if you kept doing it over and over again through several generations. Having said that, I had a Jewish girlfriend whose parents were first cousins. She had a brother that died by age 2 of a genetic digestive disorder.

By the way, the state with the strictest incest laws? Kentucky. The loosest? New York.

My wife comes from the hollers of Kentucky. Yikes, she's related to just about everyone in the county by one way of figurin' or another. However, they generally discourage cousins from pairing up.

True story: so there were these two distant relatives of hers that got engaged. When the MIL's got together the night before the wedding they got to talking and realized both the bride and the groom shared the same biological father. Oooops. The couple decided to go through with the marriage anyway. Shortly thereafter, the newlyweds announced she was preggers and the whole county had a conniption.

They all breathed a sigh of relief when they revealed the groom wasn't the father.

True Story #2: I'd been dating KYHillChick for a very short time. One Sunday afternoon we were making smalltalk and she mentioned her mother's maiden name.

"Funny," I said. "That's the same as my mother's!" It took a second or two to realize what I'd said. I made a very quick call to my mother, the family genealogist. She had every relative nailed down on that side except for one uncle of my Great-Great Grandfather who didn't come back from the Civil War. He didn't die. He just never wanted to come home. His whereabouts were unknown. Whew!
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
Wifey has a woman working for her that is married to her first cousin. They were married in a state that allows it

Don't particularly care what anyone says about this, first is too close and bloody well wrong.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19

No, but if one of them was adopted there would be no issues.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by efw

You just know Boss ain't gonna leave that one alone........
Posted By: Cross Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
Einstein
My buddy had a 1st, 2nd, and was on the 3rd date. Things were progressing very nicely and he was thinking there could be some fireworks of some sort that night. As they were eating in a restaurant, a common acquaintance came up to them and said something to the effect of, "So nice to see cousins out socializing". WHAT? Turns out neither knew they were cousins. that ended everything right there. My buddy was so bummed.
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
When I was a kid I had a huge crush on one of my first cousins, and then I got edumicated!

wheni was about 13 or so i meet this girl at a dance and we kinda got to liking each other, so we were talking and she told me her last name, I told her to quit screwing with me, she said no really, I about choked to death on the gum I was chewing.

she was my 4th cousin.
Yeah. There is a family here that got started with first cousins getting married.

Nice folks.

I had some second cousins that were hotter'n hell. They were a lot older than me though.....
Originally Posted by efw

That explains a lot!!!!!!!! 😂😂😂😂😇
My ggrandpaw and ggrandmaw.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: RickyD Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by 12344mag

wheni was about 13 or so i meet this girl at a dance and we kinda got to liking each other, so we were talking and she told me her last name, I told her to quit screwing with me, she said no really, I about choked to death on the gum I was chewing.

she was my 4th cousin.

4th?? So what?
European royal families have been inbreeding for centuries with or without bothering to get married. Just looking at that bunch of fruitcakes should be all the proof we need that it's a bad idea. The rich landowners of the antebellum southeast US kept the family plantations intact the same way- - - -"Kissin' Cousins"!
Jerry
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Don't particularly care what anyone says about this, first is too close and bloody well wrong.

Hold on now.....we ought t at least see some pics before we go jumping to any conclusions.

ps- Kaywoodie's pic excluded. No offense. :-)
On a Biblical note, Abraham married his niece. His brother’s daughter.
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Originally Posted by efw

That explains a lot!!!!!!!! 😂😂😂😂😇

Told ya Ernie!!
new jersey pine barrens
Originally Posted by RickyD

she was my 4th cousin.

4th?? So what?

I already got big ears and a tiny dick, could you imagine how our kids would have turned out!
Originally Posted by RickyD

she was my 4th cousin.

4th?? So what?

I already got big ears and a tiny dick, could you imagine how our kids would have turned out!

Hahaha!

The struggle remains.......
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I forgot about Jerry Lee

Utah?

How about Ferriday, LA. Jerry Lee’s first cousins are Mickey Gilley and Jimmy Swaggart.

Great Balls of Fire!

Ha!

DF

Did Jerry Lee marry Swaggart or Gilley?

That rascal!
What's the old saying, next of kin deeper in. Lol, I couldn't resist.
Posted By: tzone Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
I used to work with a guy that married his 2nd cousin I believe. They tried to have kids and it did not work out well for them or the kids. Kind of a sad deal really.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I forgot about Jerry Lee

Utah?

Great Balls of Fire!

Ha!

DF

Did Jerry Lee marry Swaggart or Gilley?

That rascal!

Nope.

They weren't the ONLY close cousins.... blush

He found one that was underage.

Kept it in the family... grin

DF
I read an article by a doctor who specialized in genetic diseases. He did a lot of work with the Amish. They marry within their religion and there aren't enough of them for good genetic variation. He'd identified something like 120 genetic diseases in the Amish caused by marrying 1st cousins.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

They not smiling... frown

Life wasn't easy back then....

So much for the "good ole days"...

DF
Fugged a whore in a poofhaus in stuttgart that was a doppleganger for my cousin amy in 1986.

Does that count????
Part of the problem can be that there may've been some other familial fooling around in previous generations that never was revealed. People and cats have a lot in common.
Originally Posted by renegade50
Fugged a whore in a poofhaus in stuttgart that was a doppleganger for my cousin amy in 1986.

Does that count????

Yes, you sick fuqk.........

Ditto. Mine was about four years older than me, blonde, leggy and real good lookin'. When I was 12 or 13 I would've jumped at the opportunity to sour the gene pool... wink
I'm pretty sure Denny's mom and dad were brother and sister........
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19

you make me giggle, that picture could be out of my wife's family album, her family getting to texas circa 1840's.
Susie Lee done fell in love,
She planned to marry Joe.
She was so happy 'bout it all,
She told her Pappy so.

Pappy told her, Susie gal,
You'll have to find another.
I'd just as soon yo' Ma don't know,
But Joe is yo' half brother.

So Susie put aside her Joe
And planned to marry Will.
But after telling Pappy this,
He said, "There's trouble still."

You can't marry Will, my gal,
And please don't tell yo' Mother.
But Will and Joe, and several mo'
I know is yo' half brother.

But Mama knew and said, my child,
Just do what makes yo' happy.
Marry Will or marry Joe;
You ain't no kin to Pappy.

LOL!
Jerry
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

you make me giggle, that picture could be out of my wife's family album, her family getting to texas circa 1840's.

Pictures like that always make me wonder how the family line didn't end right there.
i had this first cousin that was extremely hot, miss Long beach calif, at one point. But i knew it was never to be.
now years forward at about age 50 i find out she was NOT the blood daughter of my uncle, no blood relative.
Talk about lost chances.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Ever been to Utah.............. blush cry grin

LMAO...😂🤣😎
in a small town in arizona, you need to wear name plates.
had a woman sitting on my front porch some years ago, i kept talking about my aunt. She said " your aunt, she's My aunt"
she was married and had kids by the son of my half sisters uncle.
another one i grew up with we just figured out the family relationship a few years ago, i just knew was not available in high school.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage_law_in_the_United_States

Several states of the United States prohibit cousin marriage. As of February 2014, 24 U.S. states prohibit marriages between first cousins, 19 U.S. states allow marriages between first cousins, and 7 U.S. states allow only some marriages between first cousins. Six states prohibit first-cousin-once-removed marriages. Some states prohibiting cousin marriage recognize cousin marriages performed in other states, but despite occasional claims that this holds true in general, laws also exist that explicitly void all foreign cousin marriages or marriages conducted by state residents out of state.

Growing up I always felt kinda wrong at family reunions because I had some SMOKIN' hot cousins...not one or two...there were 7 aunts on one side and all of their daughters were HOT!

A couple of years ago at our grandmother's funeral all of us cousins were shooting the bull and hanging out....my brother's wife up and says to him "Which one is the one you were saying was so hot?...they're all beautiful..." We all got to laughing so hard we had to go outside the funeral home.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
Seems like everybody just takes it for granted you're going to procreate.

First cousin or anyone else, you don't HAVE to have kids!

Live life!

They not smiling... frown

Life wasn't easy back then....

So much for the "good ole days"...

DF

DF,

Pic was made right before he died in 1925. She lived until 1939. He was born in Stafford County Va in 1854. Lost all their property and he came to texas at age 12.
Originally Posted by ingwe

Live life!

lol... read the special circumstances some states have on the following link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage_law_in_the_United_States
My wife's Uncle was married to my Aunt, so their kids are first cousins to each of us. Although she and I share absolutely no ancestry.

But still we do get teased a lot, even by our children.

We had a female clerk at the factory, who was a couple cards shy of a full deck. After yet another ridiculous blunder she would blather for a minute about, "It ain't my fault, my parents was first cousins."

The genetic blunder left her a bit shy in the smarts dept. But she was blessed in ways that would have greatly pleased even Jorge.

Why is it wrong?
Where are all of our West Virginia members?
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Pictures like that always make me wonder how the family line didn't end right there.

They had 9 kids. LOL
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
Kentucky does not allow first cousins to marry..........but the Mennonites marry their first cousins, and how they're legally doing it is a good question. I know for a fact that they marry their first cousins too, not just heresay.

I guess the old saying, the closer the kin, the better it goes in, is true.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Why is it wrong?

Oh boy, this thread is about to go off the rails.
After sex one day the brother said to his sister "Gee, Sis, you are better than Mom!"

Sister said "Yeah, that's what Dad said too!"

shocked
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I read an article by a doctor who specialized in genetic diseases. He did a lot of work with the Amish. They marry within their religion and there aren't enough of them for good genetic variation. He'd identified something like 120 genetic diseases in the Amish caused by marrying 1st cousins.

Very true. Quite a few of the local Amish and Mennonite families have children that are seriously afflicted with some form of disorder or another. They have been building a clinic here, and I asked one of the men in charge of the fundraising if it was going to be open to the public. He kind of evaded answering me direct, but finally said that it was for their children who had these rare diseases.

I wanted to say..........wise up man, and quit interbreeding so much.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Why is it wrong?

Oh boy, this thread is about to go off the rails.

Naw, not much point as it appears he is ill-equiped to understand the problem.
in a small town in arizona, you need to wear name plates.
had a woman sitting on my front porch some years ago, i kept talking about my aunt. She said " your aunt, she's My aunt"
she was married and had kids by the son of my half sisters uncle.
another one i grew up with we just figured out the family relationship a few years ago, i just knew was not available in high school.

DNA testing is revealing a lot of hidden secrets.

My daughter was contacted by parties thru "23 and Me", asking about family connections. We're finding out my first cousin was a sperm donor in Houston when he was in school there. He has 6 or 7 progeny. He died of colon cancer a few years ago, never married, had no family. Until now...

It's been interesting. We were able to give them photos of this guy (their biological Dad), his Mom (my Dad's older sister) and his Dad, a Canadian. He was an only child. They seem most appreciative. We've not met any of them, although my daughter is Facebook friends with several.

DF

First cousin marriages are illegal in West Virginia. They are, however, legal in Virginia.😲
Breeding with a 1st cousin does not increase the chances of genetic disorders all that much.

Every year an estimated 8 million children--6
percent of total births worldwide--are born with a serious birth defect of genetic or partially genetic origin. Additionally, hundreds of thousands more are born with serious birth defects of post- conception origin due to maternal exposure to environmental agents. At least 3.3 million children less than 5 years of age die annually because of serious birth defects and the majority of those who survive may be mentally and physically disabled for life.
This report from the March of Dimes is the first to provide a global estimate of serious birth defects of genetic or partly genetic origin. It details the birth prevalence rates and the numbers of affected births in 193 countries.

According to a global report on birth defects
which was conducted in 2006, 21 out of 22 countries most affected by birth defects per 1000 live births are Muslim majority countries and the following
countries are the ones most affect by birth
defects per 1000 live births:
1. Sudan 82.0/1000
2. Saudi Arabia 81.3/1000
3. Benin 77.9/1009
4. Burkina Faso 77.0/1000
5. Palestinian territories 76.6/1000
6. United Arab Emirates 75.9/1000
7. Tajikistan 75.2/1000
8. Iraq 74.9/1000
9. Kuwait 74.9/1000
10. Afghanistan 74.8/1000
11. Oman 74.8/1000
12. Syria 74.3/1000
13. Pakistan 73.5/1000
14. Nigeria 73.5/1000
15. Kyrgyzstan 73.4/1000
16. Qatar 73.4/1000
17. Bahrain 73.3/1000
18. Jordan 73.1/1000
19. Libya 73.0/1000
20. Tunisia 72.7/1000
21. Morocco 72.3/1000
22. Yemen 72.1/1000

Inbreeding which involves marriage between cousins is an islamically valid and approved practice.
Inbreeding is a major cause of birth defects in children so its very likely that the whole cousin marriage thing has a huge role to play in recorded high rates of birth defects in Muslim countries.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19

With all the "fooling around" from puberty on the human race has always been prone to, it stands to reason some and maybe even many may have close blood relatives - full/half-siblings, cousins, aunts/uncles, even direct offspring - unbeknownst to them.

For many years adoption records were regularly sealed.

Right here.

Bite me😜

Seriously, without really knowing who really did what to who, all the anecdotal "evidence" pro and con about the possible problems with cousin bliss doesn't hold much water. Gotta factor in genetic tolerance stack too.

A lady I know was walking past her neighbor's house in a WV holler, and heard a comotion inside. Peeked in a window and brother was knocking the bottom out of his sister. Close family, I guess. That kind of stuff plays Hell with the genetic equation if not known, assuming the union bears fruit, or maybe fruitcake.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19

Live life!

Exactamundo!

And just think, if folks had taken this advice 150 years ago there likely would be no "Anthropologically caused climate change" debate.

Of course, some retirement portfolios might be a bit slimmer too.

But think of how nice it would be to drive in large Metro areas compared to today.

Geno
Those who marry family generally aren't those who consider climate change, social problems, or anything else that requires a brain. They marry just to have a wife and cousin Betty's available.

Live life!

Perzactly!
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Those who marry family generally aren't those who consider climate change, social problems, or anything else that requires a brain. They marry just to have a wife and cousin Betty's available.

Albert Einstein married his double first cousin so that theory might not hold water.

Looking around in this world today it would have been nice if a lot mothers and fathers would have heeded that advice.........

A lady I know was walking past her neighbor's house in a WV holler, and heard a comotion inside. Peeked in a window and brother was knocking the bottom of his sister. Close family, I guess. That kind of stuff plays Hell with the genetic equation if not known, assuming the union bears fruit, or maybe fruitcake.

I believe the saying is "Closer kin, deeper in".

This happens in stock all the time. Breeding two genetically close individuals generally goes one of two routes or a combo of the two:

1. The offspring has accentuated the shared strong points of the related individuals' genetics and has a good outcome......we call this line-breeding.
2. The offspring has accentuated the shared weak points of the related individuals' genetics and has a poor outcome......we call this inbreeding.

If the genetics of both sides of the breeding have no strong points to begin with it doesn't take a geneticist to figure out what the results going to be.

Looking around in this world today it would have been nice if a lot mothers and fathers would have heeded that advice.........

We need to issue breeding permits.

And it doesn't increase your welfare when you breed more of the same...
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19

Prerequisite for a packer fan...
Don’t know anyone that married a cousin, but I heard of a guy that boinked his cousin. wink
Originally Posted by ironbender
Don’t know anyone that married a cousin, but I heard of a guy that boinked his cousin. wink

Hey! If you had seen a picture of her..........Haha!

Art?

Why does that not surprise me... grin
It is true, crossing close relatives will increase the likelihood of undesirable recessive genes being expressed. But those gene have to be there in the first place before they can surface.

As an example, in a family I have known all my life, the Mom has a wandering right eye.
But none of her kids exhibited this trait. Then they let the Mom's 13 year old nephew come up to the ranch for the summer. The nephew and a 13 year old daughter did what kids naturally do when they get the chance to be alone behind the haystack.

And a lovely baby boy resulted, and yes he had Gramma's wandering right eye. Even though neither of the cousins expressed the trait, they did carry the recessive gene inherited from their respective mothers, and the baby was the 1 in 4 chance of inheriting the recessive from both parents.

I am kind of with Heinlein on this one. There is nothing really morally wrong with such a union. But it is immoral to play genetic roulette with any children born of the union.

And today, there is no need. Any decent geneticist can tell couples if it is safe to procreate. And a host of options are available for couples to have children if it is unsafe for them to mate.
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Art?

Why does that not surprise me... grin

You know who. Might even be fishin now.

What of it ??????
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
See video of musical group Madness singing “Shame and Scandal in the Family!” Freaking hilarious!
We told our kids they have to leave town to date. I think we are related to too many people they go to school with for any long term plans.
When poor folks do it, it's incest, when royalty does it, it's creating an heir to the throne.
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Breeding with a 1st cousin does not increase the chances of genetic disorders all that much.

percent of total births worldwide--are born with a serious birth defect of genetic or partially genetic origin. Additionally, hundreds of thousands more are born with serious birth defects of post- conception origin due to maternal exposure to environmental agents. At least 3.3 million children less than 5 years of age die annually because of serious birth defects and the majority of those who survive may be mentally and physically disabled for life.
This report from the March of Dimes is the first to provide a global estimate of serious birth defects of genetic or partly genetic origin. It details the birth prevalence rates and the numbers of affected births in 193 countries.

which was conducted in 2006, 21 out of 22 countries most affected by birth defects per 1000 live births are Muslim majority countries and the following
1. Sudan 82.0/1000
3. Benin 77.9/1009
7. Tajikistan 75.2/1000
8. Iraq 74.9/1000
9. Kuwait 74.9/1000
11. Oman 74.8/1000
12. Syria 74.3/1000
13. Pakistan 73.5/1000
14. Nigeria 73.5/1000
15. Kyrgyzstan 73.4/1000
16. Qatar 73.4/1000
17. Bahrain 73.3/1000
18. Jordan 73.1/1000
19. Libya 73.0/1000
20. Tunisia 72.7/1000
21. Morocco 72.3/1000
22. Yemen 72.1/1000

Inbreeding which involves marriage between cousins is an islamically valid and approved practice.
Inbreeding is a major cause of birth defects in children so its very likely that the whole cousin marriage thing has a huge role to play in recorded high rates of birth defects in Muslim countries.

I think it shows up in Amish communities also.
Originally Posted by reivertom
When poor folks do it, it's incest, when royalty does it, it's creating an heir to the throne.

As with expensive cattle, it's called "Line breeding".

With mutts and such, it's "inbreeding"...

DF
Posted By: sse Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by reivertom
Originally Posted by watch4bear

1. Sudan 82.0/1000
3. Benin 77.9/1009
7. Tajikistan 75.2/1000
8. Iraq 74.9/1000
9. Kuwait 74.9/1000
11. Oman 74.8/1000
12. Syria 74.3/1000
13. Pakistan 73.5/1000
14. Nigeria 73.5/1000
15. Kyrgyzstan 73.4/1000
16. Qatar 73.4/1000
17. Bahrain 73.3/1000
18. Jordan 73.1/1000
19. Libya 73.0/1000
20. Tunisia 72.7/1000
21. Morocco 72.3/1000
22. Yemen 72.1/1000

I think it shows up in Amish communities also.

seriously i've always thought this accounts for modern-day aberrant behavior
Another angle.....

Cousin marriage relative to the advancement of Western Civilization....

https://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2013/04/cousin-marriage-and-democracy.html

Such kin groupings may be extremely nepotistic and distrusting of non-family members in the
larger society. In this context, non-democratic regimes emerge as a consequence of individuals turning to reliable kinship groupings for support rather than to the state or the free market. It has been found, for example, that societies having high levels of familism tend to have low levels of generalized trust and civic engagement, two important correlates of democracy. Moreover, to people in closely related kin groups, individualism and the recognition of individual rights, which are part of the cultural idiom of democracy, are perceived
as strange and counter-intuitive ideological abstractions.

Just so happens that the Irish and Scottish Clans commonly married cousins whistle

And here I was all impressed when Ancestry dot com nailed us O'Birdy's practically down to a city block in Ireland, relatively speaking. At least we only married good-looking cousins wink

"Oh Danny Boooy......"

https://www.johngrenham.com/blog/2018/03/12/the-cousins-the-cousins/

Between 1780 and 1845, the population of Ireland mushroomed from about three million to about eight and a half million....

Look at the numbers. The population tripled in size over less than three generations, a veritable explosion. And the growth wasn’t evenly spread, taking place disproportionately among the vast mass of Gaelic Catholic subsistence farmers in the West and the South. Someone born in those areas in the 1820s and 1830s was typically one of a very large family, ten or more, whose parents and grandparents would also typically have come from families the same size. So if your twenty aunts and uncles did their demographic duty, you could easily have two hundred first cousins, all almost probably living within walking distance.....

Gaelic society had always been tribal, but this was tribalism on steroids. Everyone was literally closely related to everyone around them. No wonder Ancestry’s DNA service is so good at identifying genetic groupings in particular areas of Ireland – the period 1780-1830, the outer limit of its standard autosomal DNA test, is exactly the period when we very obligingly got together and married our cousins like rabbits....

Cousin-density like this also left its mark on a more recent Ireland. Membership of the two main political parties, Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael, often appears to be inheritable, with great masses of relatives voting for (or knifing) each other .

I have over 30 female first cousins. Six of them were born the same year as me. Add in another six a year older or younger and I was surrounded with girls my age. I tapped a few of them when I when I was in my teens and twenty's. Played I'll show you mine if you show me yours with a bunch during the puberty years.
A little youthful play is different from marring and raising kids.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
A handful of families settled the western part of the county where I grew up. When I was a kid we'd have some fairly large family reunions on a Sunday afternoon every year. I'm at least distantly related to many family names there. It's entirely possible that people in a setting like that would pair up with a distant relative without even realizing it unless you went back 5 generations to check. I'd say that situation exists in many places. Maybe not so much today,..because people are much more mobile than they used to be.

Everybody has 64 great-great-great-great grandparents,...and the number of descendants that 64 people create gets very large. Anyone who is a member of a family that's lived in the same area for several generations will be blood relatives of a *bunch* of people in that area,..even some that they won't know.
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
I have over 30 female first cousins. Six of them were born the same year as me. Add in another six a year older or younger and I was surrounded with girls my age. I tapped a few of them when I when I was in my teens and twenty's. Played I'll show you mine if you show me yours with a bunch during the puberty years.

Guess I'm the other end of the scale.

I have no aunts, no uncles, and no first cousins.

Both my parents were an only child.
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by Bristoe
A handful of families settled the western part of the county where I grew up. When I was a kid we'd have some fairly large family reunions on a Sunday afternoon every year. I'm at least distantly related to many family names there. It's entirely possible that people in a setting like that would pair up with a distant relative without even realizing it unless you went back 5 generations to check. I'd say that situation exists in many places. Maybe not so much today,..because people are much more mobile than they used to be.

Everybody has 64 great-great-great-great grandparents,...and the number of descendants that 64 people create gets very large. Anyone who is a member of a family that's lived in the same area for several generations will be blood relatives of a *bunch* of people in that area,..even some that they won't know.

Lot of areas like that including my home county. Don't think I have any recent common ancestors with myself, but my parents families both lived within about 5 miles from one another in a rural county for about 150 years, would be surprised if there wasn't some overlap with distant cousins somewhere down the line. A cousin did a family history book on one branch of the family a few years ago tracing them back to when they first came to America in the 1600s, seems the same 5-6 families all lived next to each other since the 1700s and several of them would all pick up and move a little further west with each other.

You could have saved a lot of typing by just sayin you played bumpin uglies with a cousin...
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

You could have saved a lot of typing by just sayin you played bumpin uglies with a cousin...

Nah,...my serious girlfriends from that time were from 2 counties over. I moved here when I was 19. (275 miles east) The only blood relatives I have around here are those I created.
Posted By: ERK Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
I thought banging your cousins was why they have family reunions. Oh well no use stopping now. Ed k
Posted By: Raeford Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
I have exactly 2 first cousins and the female one is drop-dead gorgeous and 2 years my junior. We had fun at our grandparents playing when we were very young. About the time that I would have had other thoughts about her they up and moved to Texas.....I have seen her twice since I was maybe 10, 45 years ago. The pics that I see of her now, she's still gorgeous......
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

A lady I know was walking past her neighbor's house in a WV holler, and heard a comotion inside. Peeked in a window and brother was knocking the bottom of his sister. Close family, I guess. That kind of stuff plays Hell with the genetic equation if not known, assuming the union bears fruit, or maybe fruitcake.

I believe the saying is "Closer kin, deeper in".

This happens in stock all the time. Breeding two genetically close individuals generally goes one of two routes or a combo of the two:

1. The offspring has accentuated the shared strong points of the related individuals' genetics and has a good outcome......we call this line-breeding.
2. The offspring has accentuated the shared weak points of the related individuals' genetics and has a poor outcome......we call this inbreeding.

If the genetics of both sides of the breeding have no strong points to begin with it doesn't take a geneticist to figure out what the results going to be.

Hip displaysia? Springer Rage?
So.....if a couple from West Virginia get a divorce, are they still brother and sister????
Posted By: Raeford Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by Utahunter
So.....if a couple from West Virginia get a divorce, are they still brother and sister????

Yes, and if you mess with either..........
Somebody from Utah is badmouthing West Virginians on this topic?

You gotta watch that. If you live in a state where a person could have one father and 14 mothers, ancestries can get very confused.
Originally Posted by Utahunter

I know that's an old joke, but I am half West Virginian and half Kentuckian, and I have never even heard of anybody marrying even their second cousin, much less their first cousin or sibling. If anybody did, they sure kept it a secret. I'm sure is you did some detective work in any state or area, you could find some pretty disgusting stuff going on in a few cases here and there.
,...end up with a head like this if your people don't move out of Utah soon enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_McMullin
Yeah,...if ya wanna make some money in Utah,...open up a hat shop that starts at size 8.
Worked with a guy years ago. Shop forklift operator. Corn fed Ohio boy. Good guy and good buddy at work. He was shacked up with his ol lady. First cousin.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
No hanky-panky here, just strange coincidence....

I'm gonna call names (not their real ones) so this will be easier to explain. My Mom's mother is Sue, Sue's mother is Joy. Joy died while Sue was a small baby and Sue's dad married Joy's widowed sister named Betty. Betty had been married to my Mom's great uncle Bill on her Dad's side of the family. This made Betty my (step) great grandmother on my mom's mother's side of the family and my great-great-aunt on my mom's dad's side of the family. Everyone called her Aunt Betty.

I dont know of any cousin's marrying, but there is a family I know where the girls marry young... I mean like 13 and 14 years old. They have to have parental permission and the parents give it. I know 3 generations of the family and a couple of the girls married at 13, but most waited until the were 15 or 16.
Posted By: Gus Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19
adam & eve had nearly perfect dna? that is, adam & eve had the same dna?

then the variations (evolution?) began to assert themselves.

gamma rays, x-rays, falls on the head, etc. etc.

od's of mushrooms, apple brandy, etc. etc.

given time changes occurred.

mistakes built up higher.

then, interbreeding.

is that about it?
We had double cousins on one side of family. Brothers and sisters from one family all married brothers and sisters from another family.
We had double cousins on one side of family. Brothers and sisters from one family all married brothers and sisters from another family.

would we have to go back some 6,000 years for all of our ancestors to be adam & eve?

that'd be a question for ringman, maybe and he ain't signed in on this august thread.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/19/19

Bob, we don't have any in our family, but I know of several families like that.
Randy,

You talking in that thread above about Joy, Sue, and Betty. The photo I posted above. My gGrandmaw in that pick, well her dad (my gg grandpaw) ended up marrying her mom’s sister (aunt), after her mom died. And she had a whole passle of 1/2 brother and sister cousins!
the beauty of geneology is that at some point in the past, every body was akin to everybody.

but that was afar back in time and space. after the point in time when people were no longer akin to each other, then red hair emerged?
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/20/19
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
We told our kids they have to leave town to date. I think we are related to too many people they go to school with for any long term plans.

Growing up in a small town, I knew everyone and when I graduated high school, I counted the people that lived in the city limits. At that time, there was 117 citizens and I was kin to 92 of them.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/20/19

I have five in Canada. My one of my father’s sisters married one of my mother’s brothers. Big families, small town.
I have two double first cousins. Mom's brother married dad's sister. i always thought it was like- there was one sucker there, maybe there's another.
Posted By: dodgefan Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/20/19
My grandmother married the nephew of her first husband and had a bunch more kids so my mom has some half brothers and half sisters that are also cousins.

The original families who settled that area all intermarried and keeping track of who was related to who and how they were related was a chore to say the least.
Posted By: kelbro Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/20/19
Incest is best if it's kept in the family.
Posted By: Steve Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/20/19
My mom is married to my uncle. They were each married to siblings (my dad and aunt, his sister). After spouses passed (my mom and dad divorced when I was young and she remarried) they started talking. Next thing you know my mom is on the phone with me while I was in Taiwan ( 5:00 AM) telling me that she and my uncle Ray are getting together. Wasn't really sure I heard it right. Had to get back to the US and talk with her again about it.

That said, even though there's no blood and he's from Tennessee, still makes people pause when I tell them.

They're madly in love and he is simply the finest man I've ever known. We should all be so lucky as to find such love in our lives.
Originally Posted by Steve
My mom is married to my uncle. They were each married to siblings (my dad and aunt, his sister). After spouses passed (my mom and dad divorced when I was young and she remarried) they started talking. Next thing you know my mom is on the phone with me while I was in Taiwan ( 5:00 AM) telling me that she and my uncle Ray are getting together. Wasn't really sure I heard it right. Had to get back to the US and talk with her again about it.

That said, even though there's no blood and he's from Tennessee, still makes people pause when I tell them.

They're madly in love and he is simply the finest man I've ever known. We should all be so lucky as to find such love in our lives.

Life is complicated. May they be blessed with many years of health and happiness.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

Guess I'm the other end of the scale.

I have no aunts, no uncles, and no first cousins.

Both my parents were an only child.

You almost didn’t happen...

DF

We have it easy. The young folks in Iceland are said to carry their genealogy information with them; when they meet someone of interest, they can compare family trees and learn that they can or can't date / marry / procreate with the other.

Small towns in Wyoming are somewhat similar to the island nation of Iceland. The kids are essentially all related and need to go beyond their neighborhood for the betterment of the species.
My mom's family came to America in 1649 we can not point the date but it was the same for my dad's so growing up in North East PA after 300 years of family you had to go out of the county and maybe find someone not related smile
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/20/19
Originally Posted by Whelenman

What of it ??????

Makes for a much cheaper Christmas.........
Here's what happens when cousins marry cousins for generations.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/habsburg-jaw
Posted By: hanco Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/20/19
There are a lot more cousins marrying than I thought.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Married to a first cousin - 11/20/19
My parents, duh duh Dee doo....
© 24hourcampfire