Home
October 1, 2020 you will need an official Real ID star they call it on your drivers license, a U.S. passport or military ID to fly within the U.S. Our driver's licenses don't come up for renewal for years here and they won't be recognized as "official" unless they have that star on them! The wife tried to get a new drivers licence with the official star and the hoops they make you jump through is amazing and she didn't bring the right stuff to the DMV and couldn't get the star. dhs.gov tells you what you need to bring to the DMV if you want to get a new licence which will cost you. The DMV guy asked the wife if her married name was on her birth certificate? Say what? She may have snarked the guy for asking a stupid question hence no star for her. Anyway just a heads up it will cost you to have an up to date passport or a new driver licence if you expect to be able to fly anywhere late this next year. FYI.
Papers... let me see your papers.
Originally Posted by Windfall
October 1, 2020 you will need an official Real ID star they call it on your drivers license, a U.S. passport or military ID to fly within the U.S. Our driver's licenses don't come up for renewal for years here and they won't be recognized as "official" unless they have that star on them! The wife tried to get a new drivers licence with the official star and the hoops they make you jump through is amazing and she didn't bring the right stuff to the DMV and couldn't get the star. dhs.gov tells you what you need to bring to the DMV if you want to get a new licence which will cost you. The DMV guy asked the wife if her married name was on her birth certificate? Say what? She may have snarked the guy for asking a stupid question hence no star for her. Anyway just a heads up it will cost you to have an up to date passport or a new driver licence if you expect to be able to fly anywhere late this next year. FYI.

Just get your passport. It's probably easier. I was surprised just how easy it was.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Just get your passport. It's probably easier. I was surprised just how easy it was.

I travel internationally enough that I'll likely never need the RealID driver's license. In fact I just received my new passport, so I'm good to go for another 10 years...
I have star on license, also I have a passport.
fugg em!
More infringement.

Period.
Originally Posted by hanco

Don’t have a passport, but do have that gold star on my license. Showed up when last renewed. Got it due to requirements for my CCW.
My drivers license was up for renewal this year. Went online to DMV to see what the Real ID was all about. Application online and what acceptable docs to bring to RMV. Checked off the docs I would bring, submitted the pre. lic. app. Went to DMV with papers. In and out in 45 minutes with Real ID license.

If you don't need it, you don't need it. If you travel, fly, you may want it.

This.
I've done both. But ironically, the passport is easier.
Virginia was very clear about what to bring. My DL expired so I got the new Real ID version. Pretty painless.
Originally Posted by Oldman3
fugg em!

OUTSTANDING!!

I concur!!
Next you have to get the chip. frown
Originally Posted by prm
Virginia was very clear about what to bring. My DL expired so I got the new Real ID version. Pretty painless.

Same in Kansas. No big deal.
Do Messicans have to have a good star?
I updated mine a couple of months ago. In five minutes I was issued a temporary one and a week or so later received my permanent one.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Do Messicans have to have a good star?

Automatically given, wouldn’t want to have em feeling left out or profiled. Participation trophy.

magic marker does not count!
smile
Originally Posted by EdM
I updated mine a couple of months ago. In five minutes I was issued a temporary one and a week or so later received my permanent one.

same here. They punched my old license and let me keep it, along with a letter. I had a bunch of forms of i.d. I got from the DMV web site; they asked me "Why did you bring all that stuff?"
Go figure, eh?
I renewed earlier this week a month early as I figured it would take a couple tries. My birth certificate and DD214 made them happy. I went for the enhanced license with the rfid chip which will make visiting Canada and returning to the usa easier.

The interesting thing is my birth certificate has my adoptive fathers name on it. Mom remarried, the bio dad gave up custody, and the new dad adopted me.
I went the first 4 or so years of my life with a different name. They must change a lot of paperwork for a legal adoption.

Last time I got my passport renewed spent a little extra and got a passport card to carry all the time. It's come in very handy.
And it's all a load of bleep, security theater. Went through that a few years ago and the documents I needed beyond the documents I needed for my first driver's license long ago were only marginally harder to forge. One thing I did notice though. Physically we're all asymmetrical in some respect. For me when I think I'm holding my head straight my head is on a very slight tilt. Vision problem I think. Anyway it took a little back and forth with the camera guy to get my head straight enough. Desirable for early generation computer facial recognition. Sounds to me like China is just catching up. What's curious is that in China the government is installing surveillance cameras. Here we're doing it to ourselves. Like installing Ring who makes money providing the video to the government. And people think Ring helping the police keep us safe is just wonderful.
fugg em!

IN SPADES...........
iit will cost you

You mention cost twice. Does the price of a new driver’s license seriously impact your lifestyle?

Seems like a small price to pay to be sure the mud in the seat across the aisle is who he says he is.
Originally Posted by nighthawk
And it's all a load of bleep, security theater. Went through that a few years ago and the documents I needed beyond the documents I needed for my first driver's license long ago were only marginally harder to forge. One thing I did notice though. Physically we're all asymmetrical in some respect. For me when I think I'm holding my head straight my head is on a very slight tilt. Vision problem I think. Anyway it took a little back and forth with the camera guy to get my head straight enough. Desirable for early generation computer facial recognition. Sounds to me like China is just catching up. What's curious is that in China the government is installing surveillance cameras. Here we're doing it to ourselves. Like installing Ring who makes money providing the video to the government. And people think Ring helping the police keep us safe is just wonderful.

Facial Recognition doesn't work near as well as most believe. The vast majority of the "results" are false positives, where the software singles out a wrong person.
Utah just sent me my new one with the star. Wasn't up for renewal, didn't have to bring papers, or do a single thing. It just showed up in the mail.

I carry four photo IDs: Utah DL, Utah CCW, military retiree, and VA. And, I have a passport.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
fugg em!

IN SPADES...........

Sort of fugging yourself in one great last act of defiance. So fine - don't be able to fly, don't be able to open a bank account. Don't mean bleep to the gov't.
Facial Recognition doesn't work near as well as most believe. The vast majority of the "results" are false positives, where the software singles out a wrong person.

And so not having to compensate for head tilt was meaningful. But they're getting better with massive increases of memory and processing power. Heard all the BS on AI? Has nothing to do with intelligence, artificial or otherwise. Code for that massive increase in memory and processing power. So computers still do no more than they've always done, only faster and more thoroughly.

But if that's where they wee headed way back when the Real ID Act was born, I wonder where they are now. The only saving grace is the government's profound ability to screw up the implementation.

Facial Recognition doesn't work near as well as most believe. The vast majority of the "results" are false positives, where the software singles out a wrong person. [/quote]

Facial recognition always works for McGee and Gibbs.
😉

Yep
got my star card last month

I found a loophole. Instead going to the DMV, ( our's is horrible...4 hour wait for anything) and have to sit next Smallpox Sam and Typhoid Mary and fugger with a rainbow clown wig holding a pet chicken...

Next county over is very small, very rural. The county clerk of that county did mine. In/out 20 minutes, I was the only one there. Like Mr Haney from Green Acres type guy. cost me $12
Originally Posted by Texczech

Facial recognition always works for McGee and Gibbs.
😉[/quote]
Every.Friggin.Time!!!!!!!
fugg em!

IN SPADES...........

Sort of fugging yourself in one great last act of defiance. So fine - don't be able to fly, don't be able to open a bank account. Don't mean bleep to the gov't.

Get your [bleep] together and you don't have to fly commercial .... already got a bank account and it doesn't require a star. What else you got?
fugg em!

IN SPADES...........

Get your [bleep] together and you don't have to fly commercial .... already got a bank account and it doesn't require a star. What else you got?

You and Grett can enjoy your sailboats.
Originally Posted by cra1948
Last time I got my passport renewed spent a little extra and got a passport card to carry all the time. It's come in very handy.

This. Much easier and it took about five minutes at the post office to apply. Three weeks to get by mail.
Last time I went to renew my DL, the clerk started her bored litany of acceptable ID’s. I cut her of with “how about a passport”?

Those passport cards come in awfully handy.
We whipped out my 16 yr old daughter's passport book at the DMV. They were giving us chit when getting her driver's permit, bs bout needing a light bill, a water bill, gawd...here how bout this??? Didn't want throw the ace card out too early.
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Don’t have a passport, but do have that gold star on my license. Showed up when last renewed. Got it due to requirements for my CCW.

Yep. In TX, if you have a Handgun License aka LTC, you get the “star” Drivers License because you’ve already been through an extensive background check.

I noticed the star on mine when I renewed my DL last year.
CCW, CDL with hazmat for almost 30 years, homeland security background
check for the last couple renewals.

I really shouldn't need any BS to get a star.
No vet should either.
Bet it don't work that way in this crooked state though.
I don't care much about all the beauracracy and all the BS they do, i hate the waiting. Just forget about getting anything else done on the day you renew your ID.
My name was profiled and has been since 9/11/2001...

each years its more BS.... I can't fly due to the profiling anyway, and haven't been able to...
and the way the airlines are, who wants to, if you don't have to...

Plus the last time I had to renew my Dl? here in PotlandiaStan....they demanded my birth certificate..
So I ordered one from the state I was born in.... Oregon DMV didn't like it, so they refused to renew my license..at the local DMV.

I went to the state capitol to see the DMV HQ... they told me my Birth Certificate was just fine, if that is how it was issued...

I go back to my local DMV, they inform me that they don't have to follow state DMV guideline.. in the field they can make their own judgements.
Stop by the DMV HQ in Salem again, they tell me that our local office are FOS....I get a name of upper level manager I spoke with and his number
if the local guys have a problem with my B/C, then call him... he took a photocopy of it, to have it available..

back to my local DMV, they still refused... they said they had no obligation to call Salem HQ...they didn't like my B/C....so it was my problem to get one they would accept.
tried several of the local DMVs.. same BS...

so thenI get direction from Salem Hq... they tell me to have another B/C ordered, have it certified, delivered certified mail... don't open it, let the local DMV open it..
so I do that... they still reject it... they didn't like it, said it didn't look official enough...

back to Salem Hq.... they call my local DMV, and they still refuse to listen to state DMV H.Q...

finally after 4 months of this, I had a letter from the State DMV H.Q., telling them to accept my B/C... on top of that they told me to bring in multiple certified copies, in Unopened Certified Envelopes.. I brought in 4 copies unopened...

They had 5 people on duty... they closed all but one windiw... while the other 4 people each went over my 4 copies of my B/C, plus they were pissed I had a letter from the DMV HQ ordering them to accept the B/C.....they each went over all 4 copies, for 45 minutes.... they finally issued me a renewed D/L, but complained still that they didn't like the B/C issued by the state of West Virginia where I was born....

they wouldn't accept my DD 214 as identification, they wouldn't accept my old military ID card as it wasn't current....

NO, these folks weren't giving me a hard time.... it was more along the lines, they didn't have a clue over the new procedures... so to cover their asses, they were just rejecting everything.... my wife went thru the same thing and so did mulitple family friends...some states B/Cs they accepted and some they didn't.. wife had no problem with one from MN....buddy from Texas, they would take his... not hard to see what was motivating that in liberal leftist ran Oregon...

More government red tape and tracking their citizens in all they do....in microscopic form....

They were singling me out.... they screw with people, that they don't like or who don't make their politically correct list...

every time I went to the DMV, while I am going thru this crap... Juan or Jose, who No Habla, and were not here legally had zero problems getting a D/L.. in fact the staff bent over backwards to help them....

personally I'll walk before I'll fly anywhere.. screw this monitoring their own citizens while they let Juan and Jose sneak across the border and then the number of Muslims they let into the country, and spread them all over the map.... and then these people don't have to go thru this crap....
Getting the Real id can be simple or next to impossible. I chose to go the passport route.
Another thing. Why do “we” have to get a Real ID to fly and conduct other business, when the meskin illegals or other illegals can travel about freely by vehicle, bus or train. This doesn’t seem right, it doesn’t pass the smell test.

Oh I know, it will be for mass deportations of illegals when caught.

I just remember that I read somewhere that you would need the Real ID to get into federal buildings and onto military buildings too. So all these contractors that hire illegals to clean and do construction are sh it out of luck then (sarcasm) if they want to do business on bases and such.

About as corrupt as a the TERO on the Rez.
Military ID works, so I'm all good. Prefer not to carry my passport around everywhere I go.
I flew once in '71....BTDT.
I have a passport but will be getting the real ID too.
This crap started when states started issuing drivers licenses to non-citizens.

AZ used to require all that stuff for a drivers license, so did TX. I'm guessing many other states did as well.

When they wanted non-citizens to be able to vote, they had to get them some 'official' IDs so they started allowing them to have drivers licenses.

There you go.
No. They will have to have Passports, or be refugees in which case they can have nothing...
Originally Posted by kelbro
This crap started when states started issuing drivers licenses to non-citizens.

AZ used to require all that stuff for a drivers license, so did TX. I'm guessing many other states did as well.

When they wanted non-citizens to be able to vote, they had to get them some 'official' IDs so they started allowing them to have drivers licenses.

There you go.

Spot on, I think they should require the "Star" to vote...
Originally Posted by worriedman
No. They will have to have Passports, or be refugees in which case they can have nothing...

You are wrong. Illegals get it automatically.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

REAL ID allows compliant states to issue driver's licenses and identification cards where the identity of the applicant cannot be assured or for whom lawful presence is not determined. In fact, some states currently issue noncompliant cards to undocumented individuals. Noncompliant cards must clearly state on their face (and in the machine readable zone) that they are not acceptable for REAL ID purposes and must use a unique design or color to differentiate them from compliant cards. DHS cautions against assuming that possession of a noncompliant card indicates the holder is an undocumented individual, given that individuals may obtain noncompliant cards for many reasons unrelated to lawful presence. Possession of a noncompliant card does not indicate that the holder is an undocumented individual, given that individuals may obtain noncompliant cards for many reasons unrelated to lawful presence.

The REAL ID Act allows states to issue temporary (i.e., limited-term), REAL ID-compliant driver's licenses and ID cards to applicants who provide valid, documentary evidence that they have “approved deferred action status.” [Sec. 202(c)(2)(B)(viii)] Under the REAL ID regulation, applicants with approved deferred action who hold valid Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) and Social Security Numbers (SSNs) may qualify to receive temporary REAL ID driver's licenses and ID cards. The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) Program standardized and expedited the process for obtaining these supporting identification documents for individuals with Deferred Action seeking REAL IDs. Individuals with approved Deferred Action, valid EADs and valid SSNs may continue to hold temporary (limited-term) REAL IDs until their expiration. In any case, REAL ID compliant states may continue to issue noncompliant licenses and IDs to individuals with or without lawful status, including deferred action, as defined under the REAL ID Act.

Now there is irony for you, it seems easier to travel internationally than it is to travel interstate.

added, sometimes I wonder if there are two Americas.
It's true. Some guys really do have all the luck.

Originally Posted by Seafire
My name was profiled and has been since 9/11/2001...

each years its more BS.... I can't fly due to the profiling anyway, and haven't been able to...
and the way the airlines are, who wants to, if you don't have to...

Plus the last time I had to renew my Dl? here in PotlandiaStan....they demanded my birth certificate..
So I ordered one from the state I was born in.... Oregon DMV didn't like it, so they refused to renew my license..at the local DMV.

I went to the state capitol to see the DMV HQ... they told me my Birth Certificate was just fine, if that is how it was issued...

I go back to my local DMV, they inform me that they don't have to follow state DMV guideline.. in the field they can make their own judgements.
Stop by the DMV HQ in Salem again, they tell me that our local office are FOS....I get a name of upper level manager I spoke with and his number
if the local guys have a problem with my B/C, then call him... he took a photocopy of it, to have it available..

back to my local DMV, they still refused... they said they had no obligation to call Salem HQ...they didn't like my B/C....so it was my problem to get one they would accept.
tried several of the local DMVs.. same BS...

so thenI get direction from Salem Hq... they tell me to have another B/C ordered, have it certified, delivered certified mail... don't open it, let the local DMV open it..
so I do that... they still reject it... they didn't like it, said it didn't look official enough...

back to Salem Hq.... they call my local DMV, and they still refuse to listen to state DMV H.Q...

finally after 4 months of this, I had a letter from the State DMV H.Q., telling them to accept my B/C... on top of that they told me to bring in multiple certified copies, in Unopened Certified Envelopes.. I brought in 4 copies unopened...

They had 5 people on duty... they closed all but one windiw... while the other 4 people each went over my 4 copies of my B/C, plus they were pissed I had a letter from the DMV HQ ordering them to accept the B/C.....they each went over all 4 copies, for 45 minutes.... they finally issued me a renewed D/L, but complained still that they didn't like the B/C issued by the state of West Virginia where I was born....

they wouldn't accept my DD 214 as identification, they wouldn't accept my old military ID card as it wasn't current....

NO, these folks weren't giving me a hard time.... it was more along the lines, they didn't have a clue over the new procedures... so to cover their asses, they were just rejecting everything.... my wife went thru the same thing and so did mulitple family friends...some states B/Cs they accepted and some they didn't.. wife had no problem with one from MN....buddy from Texas, they would take his... not hard to see what was motivating that in liberal leftist ran Oregon...

More government red tape and tracking their citizens in all they do....in microscopic form....

They were singling me out.... they screw with people, that they don't like or who don't make their politically correct list...

every time I went to the DMV, while I am going thru this crap... Juan or Jose, who No Habla, and were not here legally had zero problems getting a D/L.. in fact the staff bent over backwards to help them....

personally I'll walk before I'll fly anywhere.. screw this monitoring their own citizens while they let Juan and Jose sneak across the border and then the number of Muslims they let into the country, and spread them all over the map.... and then these people don't have to go thru this crap....
Let me get this straight. To fly, you need to prove you are legal? To vote, not so?
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Let me get this straight. To fly, you need to prove you are legal? To vote, not so?

bingo! May God forgive our country!
So, about six months before my driver's license expired I get a notic in the mail on what I need to renew. I actually read it. When I paid bills I set aside utility bills they wanted rather than throw them out. We knew this was coming and I had gotten birth certificate years ago. The longest part of the process was finding where I put the damned things.

So off to renew. Waited maybe an hour while the license people explained to the semi-literate what was on the slip they got in the mail. My turn. I handed them the stuff, they smiled, made a couple marks on the forms and on to the photo and ID machine.

Kinda pointless IMHO but no frapping big deal.
BTW, ID required to vote here, and everybody just uses a driver's license.
Just get a Passport card and book. they are good for 10 years. Your Real ID is typically good for 4 years.
It’s racist to make people get id’s and a passport. Them dindu’s can’t afford that cshit
I have both. I really don't want to carry my passport on my person for domestic travel, so the Real ID DL makes it less of a hassle. The OMV/DMV is going to be a madhouse as the deadline approaches.
And think of the uninformed family trying to fly to grandma's house next Christmas or the person who never flies anywhere, but has to for a medical, family emergency or bereavement flight. Or all the kids too young to drive that need a U.S. passport now. No big deal for me because I don't fly that often and go to Canada to play with their fish, so the passport is easier than standing in that 100' long DMV line any time of the day. I did that already and the sign that tells you that you need to go to the dhs.gov web site to find out what you need to bring for ID is at the front of the 100' line. It could list WHAT you need to bring on the sign, but that would be too logical for the DMV.
Anytime I need to do DMV stuff, I leave the NOLA metro area and go to a small office in a small town across the river about 30 miles away. The employees are a joy to work with, never cop attitude and the lines are short.
I got mine a few months back. Had to renew come my birthday anyway so just got it done. I have one of those mini passport cards that allows me to go and come from Mexico and Canada. It was good enough to get me the "real" ID. Well, that and .25.00.
Paul B.
Let Freedom Ring!!
My 93 yo MIL lives with us. She has a state ID, not a drivers license. Same thing as far as flying goes. She owns nothing and her name isn't on any of our bills. She renewed the ID without the star because they said she needs a new SS card. So, we have to jump through the hoops to get her a new SS card. It's all a bunch of crap.
fugg em!

IN SPADES...........

You and Grett can enjoy your sailboats.

Why thank you!

What I really enjoy is not having to deal with TSA, when I fly. You should try it!
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Just get a Passport card and book. they are good for 10 years. Your Real ID is typically good for 4 years.

What is this card you speak of? I got the passport in the mail is all.
© 24hourcampfire