Home
Posted By: aalf Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Last few days might be rough but seems doable.
Posted By: memtb Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
Not exactly using this regiment, but in the past, I seem to “hang-up” around 35 ! I need to get started again, along with pull-ups! memtb
Posted By: Toddly Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
In my peak shape I could do about 75. I’d be lucky to ever get past 35.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
Got tendonitis in my elbow...haven't been able to do stuff like that in a while. Kinda miss it
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
Do they have to be consecutive?

Do they have to be the "real" ones of can you put your hands on a bench, a little easier?

Do seniors get a discount?

Seriously, I tried something similar a few years ago. I could do the 10 to start, all right, but I don't think I'd ever get to 50 only a month later.
I could do fifty right now.
If you have lower back problems, pushups will 'fix' you right up.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Show off!
I get tired just looking at that chart.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rainshot Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
mmmmm…

I used to do push ups some and still do on occasions. Not sure about 50 though. Thirty years ago it wasn't any trouble.
Now we are talking
Originally Posted by deerstalker
[Linked Image]

Pretty sure I couldn't do fifty of those.
Posted By: aalf Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19

My several times a week walking routine is a short five mile hike down a dead end road that's just under a mile round trip. I always do at least 15 pushups at each end, totaling 120, up to 150 on some days. I may throw in a 20-25 round burst at the end.

These are good ones too, not just head bobs.......
Posted By: viking Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
I am at 42 as of yesterday.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
I've been doing Days 7,14,21 and 28 for years!
I skipped to day 30.

Now what?
Originally Posted by aalf

These are good ones too, not just head bobs.......

Head bobbing belly dragging PU's are for Liberals.
Originally Posted by memtb
Not exactly using this regiment, but in the past, I seem to “hang-up” around 35 !

Consider working in incline and declined pushups and some time under tension pausing near the bottom.

I fin that changing the routine (and muscle group slightly) helps to bump out of a doldrum.

OP- great post, cool challenge.
Posted By: hanco Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
I will give it a shot. Ten is about what I can do at 66.
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
I skipped to day 30.

Now what?

Day 30 until the end of time
Oh lord makes me miss the days I could do 50 push-ups, one armed 😔
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
OK I just did 5 at age 75. For the future, we'll see.
Posted By: mart Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
Four years ago I did a 100 pushup challenge at the age of 56. My initial starting point I could only do 11. Eight weeks later on the final day I did 92 without stopping. I have been able to keep up with doing 50 right along since then. I haven't tried since August when I injured my elbow. Not sure if it would stand up to any pushups right now.
Posted By: bamagun01 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
I need to do this challenge. Due to some minor foot issues I feel that I’m in some of the worst shape of my life. I did a 1/2 marathon last year at this time and now this year I’m happy to walk a mile. I’ve gained 18 pounds since last year also. Exercise is most definitely needed.
Dont get paid to do em anymore.
Dont get paid to have others do em with me anymore.
Dont get paid to use em as a discipline measure anymore.

You guys have fun!!!

Im eating 2 day old left over sphagetti.
Pretty good actually.
Just got back from hunting.
Didnt see anything.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
Good reminder for me to get back into it. I can crank off fifty still.which I guess is okay for being 57. I find it to be all about breathing properly. I usually lay dumbells on the floor and grab them because they add a little more depth and my wrists hurt otherwise. I will use the patio edge sometimes too so my head or chin can dip lower.

I made these pledges before and never seem to keep them - doing so many a day for so many days to get in shape by X holiday. Maybe having this thread as a reminder will help prod me off my arse.
Posted By: benchman Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
Saved a month. 50 is no problem at all, at 64.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
I'm in,,,,,I think.....I'm also dealing with a long bout of tendinitis in my right elbow...

However, whens the official start date, today, tomorrow?
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19

Good idea!
Posted By: memtb Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Not exactly using this regiment, but in the past, I seem to “hang-up” around 35 !

Consider working in incline and declined pushups and some time under tension pausing near the bottom.

I fin that changing the routine (and muscle group slightly) helps to bump out of a doldrum.

OP- great post, cool challenge.

It’s been 3 years since I retired, same for the push-ups. I got to 24, may have gotten #25, but....I’m a puss, and it was starting to hurt! It’s official.....I am in bad shape! This old age crap sucks! memtb
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
20 years ago I could do pushups until I got bored. Today, my rotator cuffs would go on strike for a week if I tried push ups.
Originally Posted by Kenneth
I'm in,,,,,I think.....I'm also dealing with a long bout of tendinitis in my right elbow...

However, whens the official start date, today, tomorrow?

Today. 1Dec. is day one. Start the resolutions early.
Posted By: hitNpass Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
I can do a 100 push ups when i am on top my wife
Posted By: DryPowder Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
Originally Posted by hitNpass

How many can you do when she's not trying to push you off?
Posted By: HawkI Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
Fresh out of college and testing for LEO agency's, I did 84 in one minute.
Can still roll off 50 now, fat and getting old.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19

Wish like hell I would have seen that chart before I read 'if you can do 40 pushups you'll live to be' on the internet, I slowly done 40 pushups three times in as many days, proceeded to pull the left side ribs away from my sternum, so, if any of you old/older guys [57] and still kind of stout and heavy [255 lbs] be careful and go slow, I thought I was having a heart attack one day due to this, had to go get everything checked out at the hospital.

Sternum/ribs are better, but not near the same, may have to see a chiropractor and get it all popped back into place.
Posted By: longarm Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
I'm in
Started today
I'm 65. A few weeks ago I gave pushups a shot. Could get 25 and my arms were rubber. I just might try this challenge too.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
35 years ago I did 150 every morning. These days I’m challenged to do 30.
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
OK I just did 5 at age 75. For the future, we'll see.

NICE JOB!
Originally Posted by mart
Four years ago I did a 100 pushup challenge at the age of 56. My initial starting point I could only do 11. Eight weeks later on the final day I did 92 without stopping. I have been able to keep up with doing 50 right along since then.

Awesome. I bet you are probably in the 98th or 99th percentile for your age group.
Was just thinking about the practical benefits of pushups yesterday. I was was at the YMCA, working out for the first time in a week, the Thanksgiving holiday has gotten the best of me. After riding the bike I was planning to use the incline bench but it was apparent I was not the only dude trying to make a comeback so I grabbed one of the newer incline machines and as I'm doing my reps there is a guy getting in position to do some pushups. I'm thinking at the time, why am I not doing that exercise as it was always one of my favorites?

Going to start a new pushup routine in the morning.
Posted By: tnscouter Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/01/19
I'm in. Started today. Did them bringing my nose within an inch of the floor. Tougher than I thought. Thanks for the challenge. I needed it. - tnscouter
Posted By: kelbro Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/02/19
That plays hell on rotator cuffs.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/02/19
Both wrists injured and a shoulder giving me fits right now, so it ain't happening. One wrist was injured almost two years ago and still isn't healed. I shoveled some snow this weekend and it hurt like hell. It's getting real old.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Both wrists injured and a shoulder giving me fits right now, so it ain't happening. One wrist was injured almost two years ago and still isn't healed. I shoveled some snow this weekend and it hurt like hell. It's getting real old.

Hate to tell ya Roy, but getting old is REAL!
Posted By: broomd Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/02/19
Originally Posted by kelbro
That plays hell on rotator cuffs.

Absolutely.

Fellas that aren't used to doing them, *do them from your knees for the first week!* Ease into the full pushup.
Originally Posted by Toddly

I must be missing something here, I can drop and do a set of 110 and I’m a senior citizen.

I do mine on the “perfect pushup” device every single day.

You guys can Sissy your lives away, not me.
Posted By: JonS Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/02/19
I’m in as well. One set per day or more than one ok? What do those of you that have done this recommend. Seems like 10 is easy, would it be better to do a few sets of 10 and work up. I can’t do 50 in a row right now. Could probably do 20, wait a few, do 15, wait a few, do 15 or 10 and 5
If you can’t do more than thirty for a set, you must have a dissatisfied wife
Posted By: JonS Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/02/19
Might as well add the sit up challenge in as well. Gonna follow the chart for both and see some abs that are hiding under winter insulation and tighten the pecs back up. Been too long and need to get back after it. Ran a 15 k 12/1, slow and low with my 5'0" tall wife, but felt good.
Trying not to end up like the Raising Arizona quote below
Originally Posted by JonS
I’m in as well. One set per day or more than one ok? What do those of you that have done this recommend. Seems like 10 is easy, would it be better to do a few sets of 10 and work up. I can’t do 50 in a row right now. Could probably do 20, wait a few, do 15, wait a few, do 15 or 10 and 5

Somewhat along your line of thinking, I'm planning to do some stretching to warm up the shoulders, arms and torso. Then a set of six or so always concentrating on form. Next set is the goal for that day. Third set up to goal. Since I don't recuperate as quick as I used to, modify as needed. Finish with several sets of planks. Everyone will respond differently to the physical demand based on a variety of factors.
When I was in the service we had a guy who would challenge us to push-ups at lunch time. Only it was 500 push-ups in an hour. He could easily do them.

You have carpal bones out of alignment. Find a *good* chiropractor that knows how to adjust extremities.
Posted By: Toddly Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/02/19
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Originally Posted by Toddly

I must be missing something here, I can drop and do a set of 110 and I’m a senior citizen.

I do mine on the “perfect pushup” device every single day.

You guys can Sissy your lives away, not me.

That was in one minute.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/02/19
Just resumed after shoulder surgery did 100 this morning and will do another before going to work tomorrow. It will also be my first day back to work in 7 months because of surgery. Oh yes I am 65 , also do 2-300 sit-ups a day. Must say it's a bitch starting working out again after so much time off.

Latest recommendation is to NOT do them on your knees, but use an incline! The important thing is the straight back, heels to shoulders, knees on the floor mess it all up. If you need to make it easier, use any incline where hands are higher than feet. Heck use a wall if you need to get started! If you want them harder, put your feet up on the incline.

Another good challenge that won't stress as much, call it a first challenge when the pushups is next. Simple plank. Do it for 30seconds a day, then 5 pushups. Keep proper form. Each week add 5 seconds and 1 pushup. Max out at 60seconds and 10 pushups. That will start your core and shoulder work, then evolve into this one.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/02/19

Fireball- try my technique of using some dumbells to push off of. Works for me.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/02/19
Originally Posted by DryPowder

Waaaay under appreciated retort. Gave me a good chuckle. Upvote for DryPowder!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/02/19
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Originally Posted by DryPowder

Waaaay under appreciated retort. Gave me a good chuckle. Upvote for DryPowder!

I laughed at that too! hahaha
Posted By: memtb Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/02/19
After yesterday’s attempt at a maximum number of pushups....I thought that I was gonna ask my wife to type for me! grin memtb
Posted By: benchman Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/02/19
After yesterday’s attempt at a maximum number of pushups....I thought that I was gonna ask my wife to type for me! grin memtb

Yup, that happens! Once did a bench max, and couldn't hold a drink still to get it down my gullet.
Good to get back to the basics again. Push ups felt good. I did notice that I'm not as fluid on the floor as I thought I was so this workout is overdue.
Posted By: rifletom Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/03/19
Phtt! Haven't done push-ups since high school. Thinking most here haven't either. What the fugk for?
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/03/19
There’s no damn way I could attempt even one.

It’s all I can do to hold a 1911 up and aim one handed with this bad right shoulder.

I’m almost used up. Knees, hips, shoulders, back are all trash. I just don’t get in a hurry anymore to do anything.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/03/19
ok did my day 2 fifty and some bench press with 100 lbs....kinda lame but a start. Now just keep it up
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Latest recommendation is to NOT do them on your knees, but use an incline! The important thing is the straight back, heels to shoulders, knees on the floor mess it all up. If you need to make it easier, use any incline where hands are higher than feet. Heck use a wall if you need to get started! If you want them harder, put your feet up on the incline.

Another good challenge that won't stress as much, call it a first challenge when the pushups is next. Simple plank. Do it for 30seconds a day, then 5 pushups. Keep proper form. Each week add 5 seconds and 1 pushup. Max out at 60seconds and 10 pushups. That will start your core and shoulder work, then evolve into this one.

Bob
Got a link to the incline/no knees reco?
I’ll admit to needing to do “girl” pushups from the knee. Shoulders are in that DMZ of painful to do certain things, but not bad enough for a surgical fix.

Doing the same challenge doubling the number for crunches.

Gotta not let the old man in.
Posted By: bcraig Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/03/19
Back when I was 16(be 60 in a month)I used to win Money occasionally from bets on how many one handed pushups I could do .
I could do between 3 and 400 one handed pushups in less than 3 minutes and after reading this thread I tried it again and can still do it.
Posted By: viking Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/03/19
44 this morning.

We need to motivate each other.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Yup
Funny stuff
Posted By: memtb Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/03/19

bcraig........isn’t “4”, between 3 and 400? memtb
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Bob
I’ll admit to needing to do “girl” pushups from the knee. Shoulders are in that DMZ of painful to do certain things, but not bad enough for a surgical fix.

Sorry, no link, came from two different trainers I do work with (classes - peer pressure/motivation helps keep me going!). They said the knees can work, but you have to really focus on angles, and that it's generally safer and better to just use an incline and focus on good pushup form.
Posted By: broomd Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/03/19
Originally Posted by ironbender

Bob

Nothing wrong at all with starting from scratch on your knees, that style has been working for millions forever. Just pay attention to form.

If I get out of shape, I start from there for a week or so, then I switch to 'normal.' By the end of the month I'm doing 40-50.
The shoulders need time to acclimate to the body weight if it's been awhile.
Thanks Bob H and broomd.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/04/19
Originally Posted by bcraig
Back when I was 16(be 60 in a month)I used to win Money occasionally from bets on how many one handed pushups I could do .
I could do between 3 and 400 one handed pushups in less than 3 minutes and after reading this thread I tried it again and can still do it.

You haven't done pushups in 44 years and can do 300 - 400, one handed, in less than 3 minutes?

I would like to see that...
I'm in!!

Mike
Posted By: JonS Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/04/19
Turned 45 today and on day 3 of the challenge. Doing sit-ups with the same number each day! Keep it going and get fitter before I get fifty!
Thanks
Posted By: memtb Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/04/19
After going to my maximum a couple of days ago, I’m only capable of “inverted” pushups! I lie on my back, and can barely push my arms up toward the ceiling.....even that hurts! grin memtb
Posted By: memtb Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/04/19

Rooster7, he said.....”between 3 and 400”! Not 300 and 400! grin I think that I can do 4....on a good day! wink memtb
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/04/19
crap- I missed yesterday. got home late, wine with dinner then crashed on th e couch. Will try to do a little something extra today- like Viking said- lets keep this going and motivate!!
I am an orthopedic mess today. I did 60 in 60 seconds prior to my failed shoulder replacement surgery. Full push-ups, not the bobs I see some people do. From full extension to chest 3 inches off the ground.

Today I might be able to eek out 25. Shoulder pain would wake me up several times tonight though. Bad joints suck.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/04/19
Originally Posted by benchman

Yup, that happens! Once did a bench max, and couldn't hold a drink still to get it down my gullet.

Benchman, you're obviously an old ironbender, did I pull my ribs away from my sternum on the third day/set of 40 pushups because I got in a hurry, too old, to heavy at 255lbs, they felt great on the third day, think I went to fast, thanks in advance.
Posted By: benchman Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/04/19
Originally Posted by gunner500

Benchman, you're obviously an old ironbender, did I pull my ribs away from my sternum on the third day/set of 40 pushups because I got in a hurry, too old, to heavy at 255lbs, they felt great on the third day, think I went to fast, thanks in advance.

I would honestly say that the 3rd day of any exercise, is when the pain of any damage will become apparent. More than likely it was the 2nd day that got you. The cause would be that being unused to the exercise, the tissues were not recovered sufficiently to repair any damage done. It is true that the lighter you are, the easier it would be on you. While you have more mass, it's still made of the same stuff. My recommendation for such a program, would be to start artificially low, in reps. This will get you used to the exercise, without any significant damage, leaving enough time for recovery. Essentially, even though you can do 40 initially, start at 10. Add each day. You will gain much needed conditioning, and allow enough time for repair. Too much, too soon.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/04/19
I remember when they were 5 cents at the grocery store in town. Were there ever any flavor besides orange sherbet?
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/04/19
Many Thanks Sir, I have a checkup on Fed 5, i'll get an xray and take it to my Docs Chiro prac Bud, that way he can see what needs hammering back into place, and agreed, I don't lift, just farm work, was really happy to feel the power return on the third day, that's where I screwed up and got in a hurry, didn't feel a thing when it happened, a few days later a shooting pain in my chest had me thinking I was headed for a heartbreak! smile
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/04/19
Just did 40 last night. Not too bad for a 72 year old. I may work up to 50. I haven't done that many in at least 30 years.
Posted By: benchman Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/04/19
Many Thanks Sir, I have a checkup on Fed 5, i'll get an xray and take it to my Docs Chiro prac Bud, that way he can see what needs hammering back into place, and agreed, I don't lift, just farm work, was really happy to feel the power return on the third day, that's where I screwed up and got in a hurry, didn't feel a thing when it happened, a few days later a shooting pain in my chest had me thinking I was headed for a heartbreak! smile

Another thing I learned by being old and lifting heavy, is dont get too hung up on the frequency of the exercise, just make it regular. Recovery times vary, but I'd say do the pushups every third day, instead of every day. It will stretch the whole program out, but you will gain more, and hurt less. The program is almost certainly geared to someone younger, smaller, and weaker. At your age and experience, you are strong enough to lean on the tissue pretty hard. Hard enough to require more recovery. Once you get the go ahead, try stretching the program out, and see how it works. You can monitor it, and if things start speeding up, typically in the 4th week, you can increase the work. When you get older, ya gotta get smarter...
Posted By: Ringman Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/05/19
Originally Posted by bowmanh
Just did 40 last night. Not too bad for a 72 year old. I may work up to 50. I haven't done that many in at least 30 years.

My birthday is in July. A couple years ago my wife said, "Why don't you do 72 push ups on your 72nd birthday?". Thinking I could do at most maybe ten, I said, "That's a long way off.". "July is a long way off," she retorted.

When the day came l told her to count. I punked out at eighty.
Posted By: bcraig Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/05/19

Yes it is !!
Most guys I egged on the bets with were not listening that close !
Good catch !
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/05/19
[Linked Image]

Thanks. Finally something of redeeming value after finally succumbing and opening this momentous 5 day, 5 page thread.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/05/19
[Linked Image]

Aliens love that push up.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/05/19

Another thing I learned by being old and lifting heavy, is dont get too hung up on the frequency of the exercise, just make it regular. Recovery times vary, but I'd say do the pushups every third day, instead of every day. It will stretch the whole program out, but you will gain more, and hurt less. The program is almost certainly geared to someone younger, smaller, and weaker. At your age and experience, you are strong enough to lean on the tissue pretty hard. Hard enough to require more recovery. Once you get the go ahead, try stretching the program out, and see how it works. You can monitor it, and if things start speeding up, typically in the 4th week, you can increase the work. When you get older, ya gotta get smarter...

Thanks again Benchman, and LMAO, You're exactly right, on the third and final set, it felt so good I thought 57 years old hell, come on old man, hemmer em out, well, it was all good, till it wasn't, ; ]
Training for my 1st degree black belt test, I did three hundred a day. 100 on thumb and forefinger, 100 on all finger tips, and 100 on my knuckles. Since a shoulder injury a few years back, I can only go half way down on pushups, but still do 100 on my knuckles every few days. It's not that hard, believe me. I've never been an athlete, but if I can do this, anyone can.
Posted By: memtb Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 12/05/19
Originally Posted by bcraig

Yes it is !!
Most guys I egged on the bets with were not listening that close !
Good catch !

Just because we “Southerners” talk slow....it doesn’t mean we think slow! grin We don’t get enough credit! wink memtb
Posted By: aalf Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/01/20

All right you jerk offs.......who's still in?
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/01/20
Not me, got an appointment on 5 Feb for xray to see what I pulled loose in my sternum and how to go about getting it all glued back together.
Posted By: memtb Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/01/20

Haven’t done one in 4 days, stopped at 35. Need to get re-started! memtb
Posted By: Tarquin Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/01/20
I read somewhere that any man who can do 50 push-ups after like age 40 or something, has a 50% reduced chance of death. Interesting.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/01/20

If you don't mind, will you repost this in a month?

Thanks.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/01/20
i OS half assed my commitment ....as usual. Still can do fifty. Would love to be more diligent. Also know I am dreaming to think any new years resolution will be followed any better by me.

I suck....
Burning. tearing feeling in left shoulder day 15 so stopped, restart today.

Mike
Posted By: wagner Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/01/20
Stopped for 5 days during Christmas..35 today. I can tell a difference, a bit more toned.
Posted By: dassa Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/01/20
Originally Posted by Tarquin
I read somewhere that any man who can do 50 push-ups after like age 40 or something, has a 50% reduced chance of death. Interesting.

Does that mean he's twice as likely to live forever?
Posted By: benchman Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/01/20
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you have lower back problems, pushups will 'fix' you right up.

Gotta squeeze the glutes, to keep the low back stable....
Posted By: benchman Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/01/20
Good for the year. Just did 50 in 25 seconds. Kinda hung over...
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/01/20

Morning Al...Cool idea. I ripped off 25 for the wifey when she said “you can’t do 20 push-ups” Hahaha! Suck it woman!

Just a small reminder for those of us in the 40-50 age group. If you haven’t done push-ups for a while, like years. Go slow and don’t over do it....

I ripped my right shoulder up several years ago when I decided I would try a max press. Granted, my shoulder already had a rotator-cuff injury from my old baseball days.

Older guys know better than to start doing shît without working into it slowly....Weekend Warriors have been warned. 😎
I used to do 50 a day. I've done 25 a day for many years now. I did 25 today, just like every day.
Posted By: viking Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/01/20
I am still in the mid 40’ s. Vacation set me back.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/01/20
been doing a hundred a day since i got on the testosterone.
Posted By: viking Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/01/20
Testosterone? Enlighten us. Cost, availability,.... is it the Low T that sgt Sam on KLBJ used to rave about.
Posted By: aalf Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/02/20

Walked my usual 5 miles and 120 pushups today......
Posted By: viking Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/02/20
I got my 50 today.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/02/20
Originally Posted by viking
Testosterone? Enlighten us. Cost, availability,.... is it the Low T that sgt Sam on KLBJ used to rave about.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14378915/1
Posted By: Ringman Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/02/20
Aalf,

This evening I decided to give it a try on push ups, sit ups, and pull ups. I wrote the numbers down so I can look back a month from now and see how I improved. I think I will include my weight.
Posted By: DBT Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/02/20
Hate to brag, haha.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/02/20
You guys ever try doing them from a closed fist rather than an open hand? Hurt my wrist this summer and couldn't bend it far enough to do pushups, so started doing them off my knuckles. For some reason I can do 15-20 less pushups off my knuckles rather than open hand, which kinda surprised me.
Posted By: DBT Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/02/20
Load distribution on knuckles may be different to open hands.
Posted By: viking Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/02/20
My boy was showing me the “archer” pushups, at least that’s what he called it. A whole lot of suck.
Yesterday was my Day 30, and I got the 50... barely. The onset of a chest cold made it a [female dog]. 45 the day before wasn't much of a problem, so I'm gonna blame the chest cold.

FWIW, I could usually get to the mid 30's when called to do so, with no workin' out. I'm of a mind to continue with the "6 on, 1 off" schedule, & see where I end up.

FC
Posted By: memtb Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/13/20

Good for you! I ran into a bit of a rough patch, missing more days than doing the pushups. I’m kinda “hung up” at 35. Hoping to get more constant and increase my numbers. Though, I convinced myself that the regiment was designed for someone a little younger than myself. It seemed like a good excuse! memtb
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by xxclaro
You guys ever try doing them from a closed fist rather than an open hand? Hurt my wrist this summer and couldn't bend it far enough to do pushups, so started doing them off my knuckles. For some reason I can do 15-20 less pushups off my knuckles rather than open hand, which kinda surprised me.

My wrists hurt doing them open palm unless my fingers hang over the patio edge or I am holding on to dumbells. I upped mine to 55 from 50 but have not been very religious about doing them daily.

Thinking of trying planking as well.
Posted By: fester Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/13/20
I pumped out 85 when I was fit.
I’m not fit at the moment.

I need to get in shape 🙄
Posted By: killerv Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/13/20
I remember back in a health class in college it did 75 and stopped, alot more than anyone else, then the last guy went and did 76 to show me up. Ticked me off.
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/13/20
I made it up to 50 in about 2 weeks, I thought that wasn't too bad for 60 years old, then something popped under my right pectoral at number 42 just the other day. Sounded like a pencil snapping I did not lose strength in the muscle and finished up at 50 but when I got up the pain was terrible. Been popping Aleve ever since.

I think a tendon ripped from my ribcage or something. I'm going to rest it for a while and talk to my buddy's son who is a PT. His opinion will only cost me a beer or three and some venison honey sticks during the NFC championship game next week.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/13/20
I know the feeling- how long ago we talking? I hate doing this- talking glory days stuff like it is relevant- but on my off workout days I would put my feet on the weight bench and crank 70, 70 more then 80.

Of course that was thirty + years ago , and about 20 pounds too. Got into my fifties and realize you start appending any description of abilities with the suffix ....."for my age" ....

dang Romac- just read your response - get that looked at brother.
Posted By: Scott Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/13/20
Those that can do 50 regular could always try diamond pushups. Had a drill sgt that loved to make us do diamonds...

Or spider pushups, as you go down, bring one knee up to that elbow!
Posted By: aalf Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/13/20

I never did start the challenge, nor planned to......

I just stick to 8 sets of 15 several times a week during my normal 5 mile walks.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/13/20
We're about half way through now. I started at 30 and did 36 this morning. Fifty looks like a month and a half for me.
Final rest day tomorrow then 45 and 50

Mike
Posted By: memtb Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/28/20
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Final rest day tomorrow then 45 and 50

Mike

Good for you! Keep up the good work! I’m already up to 7 in a row....days missed! I think think I‘m having commitment issues! whistle memtb
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Pushup Challenge Anyone? - 01/28/20
On day 13 tomorrow. Seems real doable.
50 in the books! Going to try to do 40+ six days a week and rest on Sundays. Going to start the challenge in February doing sit ups.
Still going 5 days a week, not that it's grass cutting season I skip Sat and Sun.

Never got going good on sit ups though.

Mike
© 24hourcampfire