Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
After going to my maximum a couple of days ago, I’m only capable of “inverted” pushups! I lie on my back, and can barely push my arms up toward the ceiling.....even that hurts! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Rooster7, he said.....”between 3 and 400”! Not 300 and 400! grin I think that I can do 4....on a good day! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
crap- I missed yesterday. got home late, wine with dinner then crashed on th e couch. Will try to do a little something extra today- like Viking said- lets keep this going and motivate!!

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am an orthopedic mess today. I did 60 in 60 seconds prior to my failed shoulder replacement surgery. Full push-ups, not the bobs I see some people do. From full extension to chest 3 inches off the ground.

Today I might be able to eek out 25. Shoulder pain would wake me up several times tonight though. Bad joints suck.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by memtb
After yesterday’s attempt at a maximum number of pushups....I thought that I was gonna ask my wife to type for me! grin memtb

Yup, that happens! Once did a bench max, and couldn't hold a drink still to get it down my gullet.

Benchman, you're obviously an old ironbender, did I pull my ribs away from my sternum on the third day/set of 40 pushups because I got in a hurry, too old, to heavy at 255lbs, they felt great on the third day, think I went to fast, thanks in advance.

Trump Won!
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
After yesterday’s attempt at a maximum number of pushups....I thought that I was gonna ask my wife to type for me! grin memtb

Yup, that happens! Once did a bench max, and couldn't hold a drink still to get it down my gullet.

Benchman, you're obviously an old ironbender, did I pull my ribs away from my sternum on the third day/set of 40 pushups because I got in a hurry, too old, to heavy at 255lbs, they felt great on the third day, think I went to fast, thanks in advance.

I would honestly say that the 3rd day of any exercise, is when the pain of any damage will become apparent. More than likely it was the 2nd day that got you. The cause would be that being unused to the exercise, the tissues were not recovered sufficiently to repair any damage done. It is true that the lighter you are, the easier it would be on you. While you have more mass, it's still made of the same stuff. My recommendation for such a program, would be to start artificially low, in reps. This will get you used to the exercise, without any significant damage, leaving enough time for recovery. Essentially, even though you can do 40 initially, start at 10. Add each day. You will gain much needed conditioning, and allow enough time for repair. Too much, too soon.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember when they were 5 cents at the grocery store in town. Were there ever any flavor besides orange sherbet?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Many Thanks Sir, I have a checkup on Fed 5, i'll get an xray and take it to my Docs Chiro prac Bud, that way he can see what needs hammering back into place, and agreed, I don't lift, just farm work, was really happy to feel the power return on the third day, that's where I screwed up and got in a hurry, didn't feel a thing when it happened, a few days later a shooting pain in my chest had me thinking I was headed for a heartbreak! smile

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just did 40 last night. Not too bad for a 72 year old. I may work up to 50. I haven't done that many in at least 30 years.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Many Thanks Sir, I have a checkup on Fed 5, i'll get an xray and take it to my Docs Chiro prac Bud, that way he can see what needs hammering back into place, and agreed, I don't lift, just farm work, was really happy to feel the power return on the third day, that's where I screwed up and got in a hurry, didn't feel a thing when it happened, a few days later a shooting pain in my chest had me thinking I was headed for a heartbreak! smile

Another thing I learned by being old and lifting heavy, is dont get too hung up on the frequency of the exercise, just make it regular. Recovery times vary, but I'd say do the pushups every third day, instead of every day. It will stretch the whole program out, but you will gain more, and hurt less. The program is almost certainly geared to someone younger, smaller, and weaker. At your age and experience, you are strong enough to lean on the tissue pretty hard. Hard enough to require more recovery. Once you get the go ahead, try stretching the program out, and see how it works. You can monitor it, and if things start speeding up, typically in the 4th week, you can increase the work. When you get older, ya gotta get smarter...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bowmanh
Just did 40 last night. Not too bad for a 72 year old. I may work up to 50. I haven't done that many in at least 30 years.

My birthday is in July. A couple years ago my wife said, "Why don't you do 72 push ups on your 72nd birthday?". Thinking I could do at most maybe ten, I said, "That's a long way off.". "July is a long way off," she retorted.

When the day came l told her to count. I punked out at eighty.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

bcraig........isn’t “4”, between 3 and 400? memtb

Yes it is !!
Most guys I egged on the bets with were not listening that close !
Good catch !

Last edited by bcraig; 12/05/19.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by deerstalker
[Linked Image]

Thanks. Finally something of redeeming value after finally succumbing and opening this momentous 5 day, 5 page thread.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deerstalker
[Linked Image]

Aliens love that push up.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 12/05/19.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Another thing I learned by being old and lifting heavy, is dont get too hung up on the frequency of the exercise, just make it regular. Recovery times vary, but I'd say do the pushups every third day, instead of every day. It will stretch the whole program out, but you will gain more, and hurt less. The program is almost certainly geared to someone younger, smaller, and weaker. At your age and experience, you are strong enough to lean on the tissue pretty hard. Hard enough to require more recovery. Once you get the go ahead, try stretching the program out, and see how it works. You can monitor it, and if things start speeding up, typically in the 4th week, you can increase the work. When you get older, ya gotta get smarter...

Thanks again Benchman, and LMAO, You're exactly right, on the third and final set, it felt so good I thought 57 years old hell, come on old man, hemmer em out, well, it was all good, till it wasn't, ; ]

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Training for my 1st degree black belt test, I did three hundred a day. 100 on thumb and forefinger, 100 on all finger tips, and 100 on my knuckles. Since a shoulder injury a few years back, I can only go half way down on pushups, but still do 100 on my knuckles every few days. It's not that hard, believe me. I've never been an athlete, but if I can do this, anyone can.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bcraig

bcraig........isn’t “4”, between 3 and 400? memtb

Yes it is !!
Most guys I egged on the bets with were not listening that close !
Good catch !

Just because we “Southerners” talk slow....it doesn’t mean we think slow! grin We don’t get enough credit! wink memtb

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

All right you jerk offs.......who's still in?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Not me, got an appointment on 5 Feb for xray to see what I pulled loose in my sternum and how to go about getting it all glued back together.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by aalf

All right you jerk offs.......who's still in?

Haven’t done one in 4 days, stopped at 35. Need to get re-started! memtb

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (06hunter59, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,951
Posts18,519,264
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.